• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins eating non-vegeterian

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the conditions for 'sAtvik' food, set by our ancestors. According to me, the food prepared without adding dead or live

animals and birds are 'sAtvik'. Even if 'sAtvik', I don't like to eat anything which reminds me of non.veg stuff I happen to see in ads. :)

Dear RR ji,

Frozen vegetables..cooked food stored for more than 4 hours,fermented food(LOL! Idli/dosa are fermented) habit forming food (Coffee/Tea/Alcohol) are Non Sattva.

So I guess many in India start their day with kApi and Idli/dosa are Non Sattva!LOL

I agree with Nara....As Veggies in North are a big number you have plenty of dhabas that serve you veg food...In Restaurants they make both the dishes and I rarely go there

During the last week end had been to the Delhi Ke Pakwaan food festival..Had sumptuous Veg food from Parathe wali gali, Om snacks and other veggie vendors..Really mouth watering Veg food..These vendors serve only Veg food
hi
i like chandni chowk parathe wali gali foods....many are veggie dhabas....i like rasmalai of parathe wali gali in delhi.... delhi has plenty

of veggie options.........in fact whole haryana state prefers veggie foods.....majority of jaatts are veggies...

I agree with Nara....As Veggies in North are a big number you have plenty of dhabas that serve you veg food...In Restaurants they make both the dishes and I rarely go there

During the last week end had been to the Delhi Ke Pakwaan food festival..Had sumptuous Veg food from Parathe wali gali, Om snacks and other veggie vendors..Really mouth watering Veg food..These vendors serve only Veg food
BossI know the delicacies of parathe wali gali i ,rasmalai and kulfi near ghantewala.you have either the car option to go there or feeder buses with minimum two changes in metro. both time and cost implication. I was talking of ready availabilty near my place for veg food. I am left only with the street food kulcha option with spicy chole and onion and pickle costing a princely sum of fifteen rupees. This is served on paper plate and one could consume sitting on makeshift stool made of wooden planks on the sidewalk. Great experience

Last edited:
......... Frozen vegetables..cooked food stored for more than 4 hours,fermented food(LOL! Idli/dosa are fermented) habit forming food (Coffee/Tea/Alcohol) are Non Sattva.

So I guess many in India start their day with kApi and Idli/dosa are Non Sattva!LOL
Dear Renu,

If frozen veg. are ruled out, tambrams in the U S of A might not eat 'sAtvik' food at all!

BTW, since fermented dough becomes idli and dhOsa, they might become non-sattva only when kept for four hours AFTER preparation.

The fermented drinks are of course non-sattva because they are drained down straight away!! :D

Dear Renu,

If frozen veg. are ruled out, tambrams in the U S of A might not eat 'sAtvik' food at all!

BTW, since fermented dough becomes idli and dhOsa, they might become non-sattva only when kept for four hours AFTER preparation.

The fermented drinks are of course non-sattva because they are drained down straight away!! :D

At my grandpa's residence in village everything was fresh...Anything that is beyond 4 hours is Sesham (left over)...Sesham of lunch was never used for dinner

At my grandpa's residence in village everything was fresh...Anything that is beyond 4 hours is Sesham (left over)...Sesham of lunch was never used for dinner
what was done with sesham and left over oils after frying . was it just thrown away. urban specially working types store them in frig to reuse for the next week. and beyond. I dread to open the frig in any middle class home.

Dear Renu,

Dear RR ji,

kApi??

Coffee is also Non Sattva! ha ha ha

The concept of piling on guilt is not just limited to religion, it also extends to food. There is very thin line dividing Vegetarian and Non-vegetarian food, and that too in TB community. plants, Milk product, dosa, and Idli are considered vegetarian. Mushrooms and other fungus are on the line.
And now you add this new concept of Satva vegetarian products, and make it more complicated. Then vegans will add guilt of eating Milk, honey, and leather products. Let people live, you live by your standards, and let others have their.

Then you will say that agriculture disturbs and kill so many insects, so that too accumulates bad karmas, where will it end.

Dear svgg.ramesh, I notice this is your very first post in the forum, welcome, hope you will participate more .....

[.....]

One has to remember that these concepts were not invented, but they were the realizations of people from India who had access to a plethora of tasty food items and spices over thousands of years. Most of them are a result of trial and errors, so there would not be an easy formula that defines Satvik.

You may choose to trust them (i mean our own ancestors), or start your own trial and error.
I do agree with you that we cannot do our own trial and error and will have to depend upon external sources of knowledge. But which external sources of knowledge are trustworthy? You are saying what our ancestor's have laid out comes from thousands of years of trial and error and therefore must be accepted as trustworthy knowledge. I think that is not the right approach. We should examine what they have said and accept only what makes sense and reject those that make no sense.

In the present context of satvik foods Desikan's Ahara Niyamam is considered authoritative, i.e., something that will fit your definition of trust-worthy knowledge developed over thousands of years of trial and error. If you take a close look you find there are many rules that make very good sense and must be accepted. But there are also many unacceptable rules that no rational person can accept, thousand years of trial and error not withstanding. I already cited two examples from this text that strains one's credulity. Let me cite one more example.

Listing foods that must be avoided, Desikan says in verse #3:
ஈப் புழு நூல் மயிர் உகிர்கள் இருக்கும் சோறு

Not many would argue with this advice. But look at what he lists among foods that are good, must be accepted, in verse #12:
மாதர்கட்குக் கணவன் இதமான எச்சில்
மயிர் புழு நூல் விழுந்தாலும் புனிதமாகும்

There are many great things our ancestors have achieved, and they have also given us such nonsense.

So, my point is, it is not rational to think everything our ancestors have laid out is to be accepted without question. There is nothing wrong with வெள்ளை கத்திரிக்காய் or maple syrup. Food contaminated with hair, worm, etc., is bad, don't tell women it is good for them if it is their husband's leftover in the plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the conditions for 'sAtvik' food, set by our ancestors. According to me, the food prepared without adding dead or live

animals and birds are 'sAtvik'. Even if 'sAtvik', I don't like to eat anything which reminds me of non.veg stuff I happen to see in ads.
Mrs. RR, to a large extent this is due to social conditioning.

What is this thing called "satvik" food anyhow? Correct me if I am wrong, these are foods that are supposed to enhance the so called "satva" guna. What is this satva guna then? Again, please correct me if I am wrong, the so called satva guna includes such characteristics as divinity, compassion, kindness, faith in god, etc.

In other words, someone who eats only "satvik" foods will develop, possess and exhibit these satva gunas. However, if you put this to empirical test, you would find there is no correlation between strict satvik diet and these so called satvic gunas.

So, if you scratch a little deeper, we will find that the whole idea of satva/rajas/tamas gunas and foods promoting these gunas is nothing more than religious doctrine, completely devoid of any rational basis.

There are too many people in this world who want an easy way out and Hinduism is not designed for the lazy idiots of this world.
the principal if Vegetarianism is to minimize violence as much as possible. The other way of looking at it will be a deductive method of answering the fundamental question –To absorb knowledge -What is the best state of mind? – Our Sages –by experiments and intuitive thinking have arrived at an answer to the question. “It is the state of a still mind “. What are the best practices to attain a still mind? Or atleast a mind with low frequency and very small bandwidth ( if you imagine thought as a wave). Again through experiments/ observations and intuition our sages have concluded that Vegetarianism is a good place to start.
BTW- We do not kill plants when we eat fruits, vegetables grown above ground, or grains.

"SIN" in Abrahamic systems means - Action / Thought that will take you to a physical hell. We tell this to our children (and some adults ***) whose minds are not yet sophisticated enough to understand abstract philosophical concepts. However for those who have matured to understand philosophy at a higher level, "SIN" essentially means an unfavorable action whose effects disturbs/distracts a person trying to still his/her mind. Only people who can still their mind is ready for higher knowledge and eventually knowledge of Brahman.

........... But look at what he lists among foods that are good, must be accepted, in verse #12:
மாதர்கட்குக் கணவன் இதமான எச்சில்
மயிர் புழு நூல் விழுந்தாலும் புனிதமாகும் ...........
Dear Prof Sir,

What else can we expect in a male chauvinistic society, where there are saying like 'kallAnAlum kaNavan; pullAnAlum purushan'?

Imho, the 'guNA's of a person depends on so many factors including the environment in which the person is brought up! May be, the

already rude behaviour might become worse by eating non sAtvik foods! :)

Many of those who eat the so called sAtvik food have bad words flowing spontaneously in conversations. Theevetti dh-diyA, s-niy-nE, k-d-ng-rA

and as the like are some examples, not to forget the 'adamai mozhi' for widowed ladies!! :dizzy:

Quite logical to say that satvik foods and gunas have no correlation .also rational that ladies should not consume left overs in husbands plate for that matter any left over food. Even otherwise many also have a habit of consuming left over food saying that they would not like to waste the same . The prosperous looking ladies of tamil nadu believe in this philosophy

Many of those who eat the so called sAtvik food have bad words flowing spontaneously in conversations. Theevetti ]
Mrs. RR, you are way too decent to spell out the actual cuss words that flow out of the mouths of these people who have never ever tasted anything that is supposed to be so called not satvik, I am talking about jeeyars using words that mean an assorted variety of incestuous sexual acts...

Last edited by a moderator:
talking of jeeyars ,there are good jeeyars and bad jeeyars . so sweeping generalisations may not hold good. some god men have let down the community. people may find better icons over a period of time

It is not about good or bad jeyars, this kind of satvic language is common among the population from whom jeyars emerge .....

It is not about good or bad jeyars, this kind of satvic language is common among the population from whom jeyars emerge .....
is it . i have not come in contact with many jeeyars so have no direct experience of their language. we can absorb these jeeyars in north india where using bad language cuss words in every second sentence is a must to be accepted locally

The unused food was given to the poor or sent to garbage

As far as oil is concerned fried oil was called suttennai...used for mixing with gun powder for idli/dosa....or oiling mechanical parts like door hinges

Dear Prof Sir,

What else can we expect in a male chauvinistic society, where there are saying like 'kallAnAlum kaNavan; pullAnAlum purushan'?

[/INDENT]

Dear RR ji,

You know this
'kallAnAlum kaNavan; pullAnAlum purushan'
has some hidden meaning got to do with increased and decreased blood supply!

I will email you..and I am sure you will be shocked to know and wont be able to stop laughing!

The unused food was given to the poor or sent to garbage

As far as oil is concerned fried oil was called suttennai...used for mixing with gun powder for idli/dosa....or oiling mechanical parts like door hinges

with high cooking oil prices,most recycle it . other use Lighting diyas-if religion does not prohibit it

I use minimum possible oil for frying. Make appaLams into four quarters before frying, to save oil!

Then use the left over to make dhOsAs. Finished! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back