• If you are using hotmail, outlook, live or rediffmail email and is trying to register or have registered with the website, please read this post.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins and Pujas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbs

adhyāpanam adhyāyānam
yajanam yajanam tathā
dānam pratigraham caiva
brahmanānāmakalpayāt

from manusmriti means vedaadhyanam and adhyapanam is the
important profession for brahmins...

regards

Seshadri Subramaniam

I think we mean no harm to the community - we just need to understand that we are speaking form different perspectives...

Times have changed and we do not live the life of the brahmins of yore. But then again, there are people who do live the old fashioned way, except perhaps the bikshai thing...

Rushing on with the hectic pace of modern society, a brahmin finds it difficult to sit down and offer a little prayer... so, many advise to chant at least the sandhya gayathri.

It is a practice of convenience only. So, when we post that sandhya is only sufficient, it means for the one who does not have time to do the rest.

It does not belittle Japas, Pujas or other Upasanas in the sense that in this age of non-adherence to customs/traditions/rituals, it is fair that one does at least sandhya.

Nacchinarkiniyan

Sandhyavandhanam is part and not the whole ritual tradition of the Brahmins. Sandhyavandhanam and Surya Namaskaram is how you start the day. Then Puja. The emphasis on sandyavandhanam is more at the Brahmacharya stage. That is why the acharyals always enquire whether you are doing it when you visit him with your father. Puja assumes more importance when you reach the Grahastha stage. One of the things we did after getting married was to buy photos, idols for my family Puja. Relatives gift photos and idols at the time of marriage.

Puja is not always a Shodapochara Puja. Most families have the family Puja. It generally consists of a Sivalinga, a Shaligramam, a crystal representing the sun and other Murtis. Made out of either Panchaloga or silver. Here the emphasis is on daily Puja. Bathe the Murtis and adorn them with clean clothes and the do a small archanai or recite slokas. Then the Naivedhyam consists of Plain rice. Mahanaivedyam.

In our family any male member could do the Puja. Even small children used to do it. There competed with each other for doing it. They were taught slokas before anything elase. I knew at least half a dozen small and big slokas before I learnt my ABC. The first things my children learnt were the slokas starting with Gajananam .... Of course the children did it only when my father was not able to do it. When there was no male member the sasthirigal was called to do it. My father did an elaborate Puja. The Puja in my house is rather elaborate and takes hours. But in my purva ashrama when I was busy, it was a simple affair.

Family Pujas generally are inherited by the eldest son. But I have seen sons doing partition of family puja also. The reasons are some of them wanting to do Puja and at times the material value ( of silver idols) of the Puja.

How do they Puja in your house? What Idols do you have? Is it as simple as what I have stated?

Seshadri Subramaniam

On the topic

I have seen my father doing pujas since childhood... and he remembers his father doing it since childhood. We were also taught shlokas (the first one was mooshika vahana, i think, but including gajananam)... We recited the shlokas daily morning and evening. We used to sit with our father while he did the pujas. More often than not, there would be an eye on the Neivedyam... esp if it happenned to be fruits, payasam etc...

Then school started and we would rush off even before my father had completed his pujas... he did pujas twice in a day - morning and in the evening. He would never leave for office until he had done his morning pujas - which normally took about 2-3 hours. On Sundays, it was even longer.

We had Lakshmi Narayana vigrahams done out of panchalokam, and performed a kumbabishekam - it went on for threee days in our house... that was in the 80s...

We have small vigrahams of Anjaneyar, Ranganathar, Garudazhwar...

Nowadays, we do a very simple puja... compared to earlier days:

After aachamanam, digdevadha mantram, suprabatham, then we remove the old flowers... abishekam is done only on week days... or on special occasions... we recite the purusha sooktham while doing the abishekam... then vasthra dharanam... we show doopam and deepam... then archanai follows... during this time either we repeat it along with him or we recite other shlokas... after all archanais are over, dhoopam, then eka harathi, pancha harathi and then neiveidyam and tamboolam... then karpooram...

We have a set vensamaram done specificaly for the lord... after oonjal, samaram..., we have theertham, do our namaskarams, then he sings a mangalam song and the thirai is closed.

Normal neiveidyam would be annam or fruits (when evening puja was performed, the neiveidyam was milk)... If special items are cooked (on festival days like payasam, vadai), then they too would be included for offering to the lord.

This is how the puja routine is in my family... my father does it still... here in uae, I have pictures of various gods... and say my daily prayers after bath every morning. It is just a simple routine that I do here...

My sister's tiny tot who is now with my father (and quite attached to him), sits with him through the entire puja routine... mimics his offering of flowers to the lord, even tries to utter the shlokas though they eventually turn out in some innocent childish gibberish (he is just 2 yrs old)... and insists on carrying the dhoopam around the house...

Nothing like a good puja routine to give a positive energy in the house... and a deep inner satisfaction...

[email protected]

quite interesting, All the way of performing Pooja and following other things like Karpura arthi etc, was to show the Human being that Lightn is within you and start with entering in temple is a human body itself. Tirumular says "Ullam perum kovil oon udambu aalayam vallal biraanukku vaai gopura vasal thellath thelindarukku seevan sivalingam kallap pulan ainthum kaana manivilakke "Our Sidders never encourge pooja and other Hommams. They thougt us how to go inside and enjoy the company of the GOD. so this pooja and others was only to show real truth and follow the real in day to day life.

Seshadri Subramaniam

Shri SRK, there is also a concept of athma pujai...

but again, as Shri Nacchi has clearly pointed out, this thread is not about what is necessary or not... rather about how pujas are performed... and how various families do it...

I have experienced the goodness of reciting shlokas, performing homams in my house... Everyone is not a siddha purusha or a sanyasi... so there are some routines for us to attain peace, happiness and grace of the lord...

After upanayanam, I regularly performed samithadhanam twice a day... I cannot express it, but the spiritual feeling was enormous... Slowly when I let it go because of job and other occupation, I could sense the tamas attitude creeping in...

Last edited:
S

s007bala

Shri Nacchinarkiniyan

If you are more knowledgeable than Jagathguru Bharathi Teertha Swamigal,then your writings in this forum,reflect it otherwise.I just posted a link from the Sharadha Peetham.Get down from your high horse and stop being peevish,like an immature brat,would be my first reaction,but since you are old and learning vedas at this age,and trying to educate young and all,with your experiance i will disdain,from any more reply to you.Becoz,i have noticed,you constantly harp about,the thread is being hijacked or there is no relevance to the title and what not...well that is your opinion...and there are other people with other opinions...no one is belittling anyone...

I have been expressing myself,the way i know.Its not my intention nor am i trying to provoke any heated arguments on a personal basis.Frankly,i am distracted by all this.

Sandhya Vandanam itself is a oral puja for brahmins.Only a non-brahmin will say or think otherwise.Sometimes...oh never mind...

sb

Last edited:

Nacchinarkiniyan

I am not bothered where the link is from. I do not accept any authority on Hinduism. To downcry Japa and Puja shows your immaturity and narrow vision of Hinduism. Because other castes can not do sandhyavandhana does not make it great.

You have only been posting to deride others. Your posts contribute very little to this forum except your post count. In fact your posts take away the seriousness in almost all forum discussions. Grow up, Young Man and stop being a persistent and irrelevant poster.

S

s007bala

>>I am not bothered where the link is from. I do not accept any authority on Hinduism.<<

ROFL.....Who the heck is Nacchinarkiniyan?Majority Hindus in the world have never heard of you,and incidently you have copied Shri Nacchinarkiniyan name as your moniker and actually hiding behind this great Tamizhan's name,and posing as a great knower of knowledge and regurgitating,and your condescending attitude...says it all...you remind of folks that i met in New Jersey LOL...

Nacchinarkiniyan

I do not accept any caste leader's authority on Hinduism. I admire Swami Sivananda whom I consider an authority on Hinduism.

I prefer to remain anonymous. The moderators know to what extent I would go to retain my anonymity. This irks some people. I do not want anyone to hear about me. I only post information which I believe are useful to the members. Yes, I do express my opinion also.

I have had a feedback that many members have found my posting useful. You can see the posts in this forum.

You are a new resident in the U.S. I had my education there 40 years back. Do not throw U.S at me.

This is not a chat group. Praveen has started it to address the problems faced by the community as a community forum. Since the posts do get googled I would not like any posts to generate a anti-Brahmin feeling. Frivolous posts like yours take away the seriousness of any subject and turn away members/visitors from the forum.

About Hijacking of threads, this is an accepted view of the moderators of all internet forums. The moderators here have supported me. I have a member of the internet forums/usenet groups for a long time now.

The fact that the Acharyas have said that Sandhyavandhanam is extremely important does not in any way mean that all other practices of Hinduism are irrelevant as you imply. I am sure that the Shringeri Acharya never meant any such thing. I know him. As Seshadri put it given the lack of time in these days a Brahmin should give first priority to sandhyavandhanam.

But you can always squeeze in some Japa and Puja. I will post about how it can be done.

S

s007bala

>>You are a new resident in the U.S. I had my education there 40 years back. Do not throw U.S at me.<<

Stop being judemental Shri N.

>>The fact that the Acharyas have said that Sandhyavandhanam is extremely important does not in any way mean that all other practices of Hinduism are irrelevant as you imply. I am sure that the Shringeri Acharya never meant any such thing. I know him. As Seshadri put it given the lack of time in these days a Brahmin should give first priority to sandhyavandhanam.<<

I never implied anything.Its your mind which is playing tricks with you.Check your mind first.Just becoz you know acharya,you dont get a free pass with me.Glad S S has articulated for you to understand.Keep it up.

A Jnaani or a knower of truth, can continue to engage in Guru-Sishya interactions and other worldly interactions due to Praarabdha Karma or Karma which has already started to evolve, which are part of Ishwara Srishti, while enjoying Jivanmukthi or liberation while being alive.

My age is probably your experiance in life Shri N.But then donkeys too age like me.Again,donkeys carry the load,of dirty linen,as Mahaswamigal told my maternal family members....

Anyways,coming to the topic,since you do not believe in authority of hinduism,as you are self proclaimed authority ,a la guru yourself..its nice to see you write or rather blow your trumpet...pipri pi doom taka doom...hey thats a oral recitation & puja by itself...ROFL

sb

P.S.Glad that moderator's know who you are,and you are not all that anonymous.You have given up your identity long time back.

Last edited:

Nacchinarkiniyan

Your posts are frivolous and destructive. Your posting in the Chidambaram temple issue is a standard example. Your name dropping of big names does not impress me. It is said that empty vessels make more noise. All that you have been doing in this forum is to make noise. Nothing else.

Hinduism does not have a central authority. Who was talking about the authority of Hindism. Better learn more about Hinduism and read my post before you reply.

I prefer to remain anonymous. The moderators know to what extent I would go to retain my anonymity. This irks some people. I do not want anyone to hear about me. I only post information which I believe are useful to the members. Yes, I do express my opinion also.
Does this say that the moderators know who I am?

I may be a donkey. But I do useful work and contribute to this forum in a positive way. I do not try to destroy the forum with frivolous and destructive posts like you.

S

s007bala

So Ham

Your posts are frivolous and destructive. Your posting in the Chidambaram temple issue is a standard example. Your name dropping of big names does not impress me. It is said that empty vessels make more noise. All that you have been doing in this forum is to make noise. Nothing else.
Its a matter of your opinion about my posts.Thanks.

Hinduism does not have a central authority. Who was talking about the authority of Hindism. Better learn more about Hinduism and read my post before you reply.
Hinduism itself is a rebranded version of Sanathana Dharma,let alone authorship or authority!Your posts are your opinion about Hinduism.I must say,you do write well.Your english teachers have taught you well and you are a good student,to regurgitate that.

Does this say that the moderators know who I am?
In this day and age,anyone and everyone can be identified.Obviously,you are still living in memories instead of living in the present.Welcome to present tense.

I may be a donkey. But I do useful work and contribute to this forum in a positive way. I do not try to destroy the forum with frivolous and destructive posts like you.
I guess,you have missed comprehension in english class.Read again,what i have written.Yawnnnnn....:dance:

sb

Seshadri Subramaniam

Just my view...

Think we all have a certain level of attachment to our posts, for they are our expressions - either as perceptions, feelings or derived information. And in this they reflect our personality to an extent. But to extrapolate this to judge a character of a person may be a bit of an overdose.

We speak from different perceptions and the last thing we would need here is to have an ego clash. In a public forum these skirmishes are bound to happen... regardless of how knowledgeable we are... I too am no exception.

The intent may be right, but the expression may be crude - am not pointing at anyone in particular, but we are expressing ourselves through the literal, and it could be construed in different ways according to the bent of the individual.

All manner of posts contribute to learning - either to the poster or to the reader. Most do not express themselves, and such people would find an expression in some of the posts, however irrelevant they may seem to another.

We discuss about brahman, philosophies, hinduism and all its greatness... maybe we are all accomplished in our own right... but still...

Nacchinarkiniyan

Its a matter of your opinion about my posts.Thanks.

Hinduism itself is a rebranded version of Sanathana Dharma,let alone authorship or authority!Your posts are your opinion about Hinduism.I must say,you do write well.Your english teachers have taught you well and you are a good student,to regurgitate that.

In this day and age,anyone and everyone can be identified.Obviously,you are still living in memories instead of living in the present.Welcome to present tense.

I guess,you have missed comprehension in english class.Read again,what i have written.Yawnnnnn....:dance:

sb
You make me sick. Better learn English in addition to Hinduism. Live in a real world. You are not CIA/FBI to trace out anyone over the net.

Talking to an individual like you is a waste of time. The members will judge you. You are beneath contempt.

S

s007bala

S S

Murugannukku Vel Vel Kandanukku Vel Vel.Subramanian enra payair attach aayirkono,addaan,commander-in-chief style lae wareer!Appannukku wazhikatiyavanchay...gnanam pazham niyappa Tamizh gnyana pazham nee appa....

sb:)

S

s007bala

You make me sick. Better learn English in addition to Hinduism. Live in a real world. You are not CIA/FBI to trace out anyone over the net.

Talking to an individual like you is a waste of time. The members will judge you. You are beneath contempt.
Awwwwww...Shri N...so you are requesting other forum members to be judgemental tooooo...sigh....ponaal pogattum poda,inda bhumiyil nilayandu vazhandavan yaarada..ponaal pogattum poda....:)

sb

S

s007bala

Q/a...

These passages from the book "Dialogues with The Guru" provide answers to many nagging questions that trouble the individual as well as the society. While answering generic questions, Sri Acarya, induces one to reflect over the true meaning of Sanatana Dharma and application of its principles to modern life.

These passages are translation of talks with His Holiness Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati Swamigal,of Sharadha Peetham,Sringeri compiled by Sri R. Krishnaswamy Iyer.

http://www.srisharada.com/QA/QA.htm

sb

Nacchinarkiniyan

Awwwwww...Shri N...so you are requesting other forum members to be judgemental tooooo...sigh....
sb
This is a community forum where people are encouraged to come with questions about problems they face. We have had a number of queries from members though of late it has come down.

The members are expected to answer the question without trivializing the question.

Members do judge the posters. We did have a contest for the Best Post of the Month. The first winner was KRS and then Ranganathan. I was the last one to win it.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=1402

This happens in all the serious forums. In the Microsoft technet forum the members who have given the top answers are listed.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

I joined this forum for the purpose of answering some of the questions raised by members and also give my thoughts on the problems facing the community.

I did not come to this forum to get answers for either religious or spiritual questions as I can always check up with experts personally.

happyhindu

Bala,

You are being unnecessarily rude and provocative.

This website is not loading well for me since yesterday night. Perhaps there is some maintainence going on (dunno whether this post will appear or disappear). And i wonder if the moderators are reading your posts at all.

I can only say this Bala - everyone is free to express themselves anyway they want. However sir i do take offence to your name calling. Sorry for interfering but its not nice to denigrate anyone personally unless you know why and for what you are doing it and if it really is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media

Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.