• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmin - Iyer - Subsect

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many subsects in Brahmin Iyer caste like Vadamal, Vathimal, Brahacharnam etc. There is also a subsect called Ashtasahasram / Ashtasasthram. I want to know which one is correct - Ashtasahasram or Ashtasasthram. In Wikipedia and other sources it is mentioned as Ashtasahasram, but many people are saying it as Ashtasasthram.

Can anyone clear my doubt with some references?

Ashtasahasram seems to be correct based on what is given in wikipedia and other sources. . It means "eight thousand" in sanskrit referring to the group of eight thousand brahmins who initially formed the sub sect. But it also said to refer to the place of origin namely ennayiram which means eight thousand.

As you say I see most people say it as Ashtasashtram. I myself come from that sub sect and even among us the word ashtashastram only is used.

So even I would like to know why people say ashtashastram and not ashtasahasram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back