• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamil Brahmin Relation names ( Iyer )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the link where Mr. TBS sir posted about relation names............
Thank you Prof. M S K Sir for the post. I forgot to use the search engine! :)

Here is the chart for ready reference:

249334_10151491894519378_33335309_n.jpg

Tambrams and KLBs call the grand uncles in different ways.

Amma's mAmA is called mAmA thAththA by tambrams and 'ammAm pAttA' by KLBs. :)

BTW, is there a word 'appAm pAttA' to denote appA's mAmA?? ;)

The present generation do not care even to know who is who in their own family and their relationship. The discussion about relations names is a shear waste of time except for some members to reel out what they know and to insert some new relation names. Aha very good carry on. :lalala::drum::drama:

Mrs.Rajiram,

Thank you for your nice advise. However you must know that everyone have got the right to express his/her views. You cannot ask him /her to keep away.

The present generation do not care even to know who is who in their own family and their relationship. The discussion about relations names is a shear waste of time except for some members to reel out what they know and to insert some new relation names. Aha very good carry on. :lalala::drum::drama:

Dear Narasimhan Sir,
I'm from the present generation and I hear you. All this time I was calling one of my relative as Maama because my cousin calls him so only to realize later he is my Chithapa :(

I started this thread so that I know better and pass it on to my future generation. Whether they take it or not is really not in my hands. At least next time at a family func I will know who is who :)

BTW, thanks everyone for your replies. There is so much out there to know about .

hi renu,

i think....VEPPAATTI.....i may be wrong ,....

Dear TBS garu,

Veppaatti is a word used to denote another wife or chinna veedu etc.

But Sakkalathi is like the Hindi word Sautan.(Co wife..husband's second wife)

So what is the TB tamil word for Sautan?

Last edited:
Dear Narasimhan Sir,
I'm from the present generation and I hear you. All this time I was calling one of my relative as Maama because my cousin calls him so only to realize later he is my Chithapa :(

I started this thread so that I know better and pass it on to my future generation. Whether they take it or not is really not in my hands. At least next time at a family func I will know who is who :)

BTW, thanks everyone for your replies. There is so much out there to know about .

I am glad that you understood the matter very well and wanted to pass on to your future generation and your interest to know who is who in your family. That is what i expected from the present generation.:yo:

.......... But Sakkalathi is like the Hindi word Sautan.(Co wife..husband's second wife)......
I got it Renu!

She is known as 'iLaiyAL' (இளையாள்). Nonbrams denote as 'iLaiya kudi'!

But usually 'iLaiyAL' comes only after the death of the first wife. Sometimes when the first wife doesn't beget children

'iLaiyAL' enters the family.

I got it Renu!

But usually 'iLaiyAL' comes only after the death of the first wife. Sometimes when the first wife doesn't beget children

Oye...so the Soni kudi is called iLaiya kudi?

BTW is there iLaiya kudan? LOL

Everything will be good if one remember the following tamil saying:
கிட்ட இருந்தால் உறவும் பகை
எட்ட இருந்தால் பகையும் உறவு.

Most of us are happy when our near and dear are far away from us.
The following Tamil saying is self explanatory.

கிட்ட இருந்தால் உறவும் பகை எட்ட இருந்தால் பகையும் உறவு

Last edited:
I got it Renu!

And the first wife becomes "Mutthal"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back