• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bagavan Ramana Maharishi - Suddha Advaitin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bagavan Ramana Maharishi needs no introduction to Tamil Brahmins. The community was blessed that one of the greatest spiritual personalities of the 20th century was a member of the community.

I will be posting Ramana Maharishi's sayings and experiences of people with him. I will also post links to other sites which will help in improving our knowledge of the Saint.

Intellectual understanding is not enough, it is only knowing ‘about’ a thing. It is the booby prize. You must experience whatever it is you think you know. Only by thoroughly and completely experiencing your experience will genuine Completion actually occur.

"Distracted as we are by various thoughts, if we would continually contemplate the Self, which is Itself God, this single thought would in due course replace all distraction and would itself ultimately vanish;. The pure Consciousness that alone finally remains is God. This is Liberation. To be constantly centered on one's own all-perfect pure Self is the acme of yoga, wisdom, and all other forms of spiritual practice. Even though the mind wanders restlessly, involved in external matters, and so is forgetful of its own Self, one should remain alert and remember:

'The body is not I.'

'Who am I?' Enquire in this way, turning the mind backward to its primal state. The enquiry 'Who am I?' is the only method of putting an end to all misery and ushering in Supreme Beatitude. Whatever may be said and however phrased, this is the whole truth in a nutshell."
Paul Brunton describes his experience sitting at the feet of Bagavan Ramana this way:
I find myself outside the rim of world consciousness. The planet which has so far harboured me disappears. I am in the midst of an ocean of blazing light. The latter, I feel rather than think, is the primeval stuff out of which worlds are created, the first state of matter. It stretches away into untellable infinite space, incredibly alive.
http://www.cosmicharmony.com/Sp/Ramana/Ramana.htm

This site gives an account of his life, his arrival at Arunachala and his teachings. Commentaries by visitors and others who knew him.

9th November, 1935

All are aware of their own Self only. Wonder of wonders! They take what is not as what is, or they see the phenomena apart from the Self. Only so long as there is the knower is there knowledge of all kinds ( direct, inferential, intellectual etc. ); should the knower vanish they all vanish together with him; their validity is of the same degree as his.

6th January, 1935

A man asked the Maharshi to say something to him. When asked what he wanted to know, he said that he knew nothing and wanted to hear something from the Maharshi.

M.:
You know that you know nothing. Find out that knowledge. That is liberation (mukti).

22nd September, 1936

D.: What is that one thing, knowing which all doubts are solved?

M.:
Know the doubter. If the doubter is held, the doubts will not arise. Here the doubter is transcendent. Again when the doubter ceases to exist, there will be no doubts arising. From where will they arise? All are jnanis, jivanmuktas. Only they are not aware of the fact. Doubts must be uprooted. This means that the doubter must be uprooted. Here the doubter is the mind.

D.:
What is the method?

M.:
'Who am I? is the investigation.

D.:
May we perform japa?

M.:
Why should you think I am this? Investigate and the thoughts cease. What is, namely the Self, will be revealed as the inescapable residue.

D.:
Is hatha Yoga necessary?

M.:
It is one of the aids --- not that it is always necessary. It depends upon the person. Vichara surpasses pranayama. In "Yoga Vasistha'' Chudala advises investigation (vichara) to Sikhidvaja for killing the ego.

Reality can be reached by holding on to prana or intellect. Hatha Yoga is the former; Vichara is the latter.

---Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi by Munagala Venkatramiah

Dear Sri Nacchinarkiniyan Ji,

I have been attracted to the teachings of the Maharishi for a while. I know you have particular knowledge about this unique soul.

Please continue to post, if you do not mind.

Namaskarams,
KRS

I hope I do not appear simple minded when I say that I believe Sri Ramana Maharshi will prove to be a World Redeemer of the same stature as Sankara and Buddha.

Dear Sri Duart Maclean Ji,

While Sri Adi Shankara and Sri Buddha created monastic orders and cared about the society's welfare as well as a common person's, the Maharishi cared only about the individual. He used to say that if one took care of himself/herself the society would take care of itself.

What a remarkable modern day great soul he was!

Regards,
KRS

I hope I do not appear simple minded when I say that I believe Sri Ramana Maharshi will prove to be a World Redeemer of the same stature as Sankara and Buddha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back