• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Avadhuta Gita

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi renu ji,

sunyamidam sunyaad
sunnyamuccate,
sunnyasya sunyamadaya
sunyam eva avasisisyate

sums it up

regards
tbs

Dear tbsji,

Purnamadah sunyamidam,
Sunyaad purnamudacyte
Purnasya sunyamadaya
Purnamevaavashisyate

wonder whether i made any sense....

by the way tbsji...does the shloka you wrote really exist or you just coined it up like up like what i did...

Last edited:
Dear tbsji,

Purnamadah sunyamidam,
Sunyaad purnamudacyte
Purnasya sunyamadaya
Purnamevaavashisyate

by the way tbsji...does the shloka you wrote really exist or you just coined it up like up like what i did...
hi renuji,
not really exist...wht u mentioned was in isavaysm upanishad...
i just coined myself according to....but i know very long before...
in the same sense...so sometimes advatins are called sunyavadinah...

regards
tbs

Dear Tbs ji,

This santhi paadam is not exactly in ISA upanishad. It is saanthi
paadam of Sukhla yajur vedam in general. We have the same in
Brahad aranyaka also.

Krishna YV - om sannomitra; etc
Rig - Om vangme manasi etc
Saama - Om aapyayanthu etc
Atharva - Om Bhadram karnebi etc.

Only a small correction sir. Hope you don't mind. regards,

Dear tbsji,

Purnamadah sunyamidam,
Sunyaad purnamudacyte
Purnasya sunyamadaya
Purnamevaavashisyate

dear all,

this shloka which i typed here does not exists...it was just a playful response to TBSJi.....

Stanza 11

When Brahman is such a natural entity,how can there be "I" or "You" or this movable or immmovable universe.

Stanza 12

Brahman has been described as being like space..Its all pervading.Brahman is pure consciousness,omniscient and full.

Dear Tbs ji,

This santhi paadam is not exactly in ISA upanishad. It is saanthi
paadam of Sukhla yajur vedam in general. We have the same in
Brahad aranyaka also.

Krishna YV - om sannomitra; etc
Rig - Om vangme manasi etc
Saama - Om aapyayanthu etc
Atharva - Om Bhadram karnebi etc.

Only a small correction sir. Hope you don't mind. regards,
Dear Ramanathan sir,
thank u for your correction...its ok...its fine with me...i remember
from sukla yajur vedam.....

regards
tbs

re

Dear Renuji,

Chapter 1 ,stanza 76 - void but at the same time full, that is sunya
and at the sametime poorna.

An explanation of this concept of soonya and poorna is found in
yoga vasishta.

We can also cite the examples of a tamil proverb ' kallaik kandaal
naayaik kaanom......'. Saint Tirumoolar also says ' maraththai
maraiththathu mamada yaanai .....'.

An elephant is made out of wood. If you look at it as wood only,
then elephant is not there -elephant is soonyam and wood is
poornam. If you look at it as an elephant , then elephant is there
and wood is not there. Elephant is poornam but wood is soonyam.
Thus an article can be both poornam and soonyam. Similarly the
example of the image of dog carved out of stone.

Till I read this piece I was wondering as to how a thing can be
both soonyam and poornam.

However, soonya or poorna does not make any difference to anyone
who has realized Brahman. All are same !

Just thought I can share this with all.

dear nrr,

sir thank you.such a gifted person like you sir is rare,in this forum.you are writings makes me improve my self-development with universal self-development,wonder when both selves will merge as one.

nachi naga

Stanza 13

Truly,Brahman neither moves about on the earth nor is It carried by air; neither is It submerged in water nor does It dwell in fire.

Stanza 14

Space is fully pervaded by Brahman but Brahman is not pervaded by anything.It resides inside and outside and is undivided and uniterrupted.

Stanza 15

Because Brahman is subtle,invisible and without qualities,whatever methods have been prescribed by the yogis to realize It should be followed,one after another.

Stanza 16

It is through constant practice of yoga that the mind no longer clings to any object and when objects cease to exist the mind vanishes into the Final Cause,shunning good and evil.

Stanza 15

Because Brahman is subtle,invisible and without qualities,whatever methods have been prescribed by the yogis to realize It should be followed,one after another.

Stanza 16

It is through constant practice of yoga that the mind no longer clings to any object and when objects cease to exist the mind vanishes into the Final Cause,shunning good and evil.

Stanza 15

Whatever method prescribed by Yogis is a very broad statement. Nowadays, everybody claims to be a yogi without adequate knowledge and practice. It is possible that his followers may be misguided. Hence this stanza could not be accepted as it is in the present circumstances.

Stanza 16

I fully agree that mind should not cling to any external object and should look inwards and merge with the Self. Differences of opinion arises only if we cling to external objects. If everybody clings to their inner Self, then there will not be any differences of opinion among people.

However in actual life, it is not possible to discard external objects. Everybody has to perform duty to their near and dear who are dependent on them. For example, I cannot give up all the external things and concentrate only on my inner Self. Probably I can do the same without having any attachment with external objects.

All the best

Stanza 15

Whatever method prescribed by Yogis is a very broad statement. Nowadays, everybody claims to be a yogi without adequate knowledge and practice. It is possible that his followers may be misguided. Hence this stanza could not be accepted as it is in the present circumstances.

Stanza 16

I fully agree that mind should not cling to any external object and should look inwards and merge with the Self. Differences of opinion arises only if we cling to external objects. If everybody clings to their inner Self, then there will not be any differences of opinion among people.

However in actual life, it is not possible to discard external objects. Everybody has to perform duty to their near and dear who are dependent on them. For example, I cannot give up all the external things and concentrate only on my inner Self. Probably I can do the same without having any attachment with external objects.

All the best

Dear Anna,

The methods which have been prescribed by Yogis are the time tested:

1. Yama
  2. Niyama
  3. Asana
  4. Pranayama
  5. Pratyahara
  6. Dharana
  7. Dhyana
  8. Samadhi
For your second half of your query;

I am pasting here a portion of an article by Sathya Sai Baba which Nachi Naga ji posted in a different thread..

Devotee: Swami, should we think of God as being both father and mother?

Sai Baba: Your physical mother is only with you for some years. She is your temporary mother. Your physical father is also only temporary. The real relationship is different. Truth is the real father. Truth is permanent. Truth has no birth; it has no death. Prema, divine love, is the real mother. Devotion is the real brother. Wisdom is the real son. Peace is the real daughter. For all of these relationships there is no change; there is no birth, there is no death. They make up your permanent relationship, your relationship with God.

Devotee: Swami, if Divinity is my permanent relationship and all these others are only temporary relationships, then do I still have to take care of my family at home?

Sai Baba (very firmly): You must! That is your duty. Do your duty. Take care of your family.

Devotee: Even if it takes me away from God?

Sai Baba: No! No! No! No! Do not abandon your family. You must take care of your husband and your children. Do your duty. Duty is God. Work is worship. Do not forsake your duty.

Devotee: But Swami, not even when God calls?

Sai Baba (laughingly): God is in you. He is with you. He is above you. He is below you. He is around you. He is not calling or sending for you. He is always with you. He is you. You, yourself, are God. Always think like that. "I am God. I am God. I am atma. I am everything." Think like that and do your duty at home. God is not sending for you or asking you to come from somewhere. You are God. He is always with you.

Stanza 17

There is only one falliable antidote for the terrible poison of wordliness which produces the coma of delusion ---and that is the innate ambrosia of Brahman.

Stanza 18

One can think of the formless and a form can be visualized.But Brahman is neither being nor non being.It can be termed the Innermost One.

Dear Anna,

The methods which have been prescribed by Yogis are the time tested:

1. Yama
  2. Niyama
  3. Asana
  4. Pranayama
  5. Pratyahara
  6. Dharana
  7. Dhyana
  8. Samadhi
For your second half of your query;

I am pasting here a portion of an article by Sathya Sai Baba which Nachi Naga ji posted in a different thread..

Devotee: Swami, should we think of God as being both father and mother?

Sai Baba: Your physical mother is only with you for some years. She is your temporary mother. Your physical father is also only temporary. The real relationship is different. Truth is the real father. Truth is permanent. Truth has no birth; it has no death. Prema, divine love, is the real mother. Devotion is the real brother. Wisdom is the real son. Peace is the real daughter. For all of these relationships there is no change; there is no birth, there is no death. They make up your permanent relationship, your relationship with God.

Devotee: Swami, if Divinity is my permanent relationship and all these others are only temporary relationships, then do I still have to take care of my family at home?

Sai Baba (very firmly): You must! That is your duty. Do your duty. Take care of your family.

Devotee: Even if it takes me away from God?

Sai Baba: No! No! No! No! Do not abandon your family. You must take care of your husband and your children. Do your duty. Duty is God. Work is worship. Do not forsake your duty.

Devotee: But Swami, not even when God calls?

Sai Baba (laughingly): God is in you. He is with you. He is above you. He is below you. He is around you. He is not calling or sending for you. He is always with you. He is you. You, yourself, are God. Always think like that. "I am God. I am God. I am atma. I am everything." Think like that and do your duty at home. God is not sending for you or asking you to come from somewhere. You are God. He is always with you.
hi renu ji,
its called ASTANGA YOGA...according sage patanjali yoga sutra..
yoga is eight fold in nature......yogah chittah vritti nirodaha...
this is first sutra of pathanjali's yoga sutra...

regards
tbs

Stanza 19

The outer manifestation is this universe and the inner manifestation is called prakriti or maya.Realize Brahman which is said to be the innermost of the ineer--like water(milk) within the kernel of then coconut.

Stanza 20

Knowledge related to the outer world is false.True knowledge dawns within (in the pure mind).Realize Brahman,which is the innermost of the inner self.It is like water(milk) within the kernel of the coconut.

I just want to add my own word after reading the above 2 stanzas about Brahman which is said to be like water(milk) within the kernel of the coconut.

There is a sanskrit word which would aptly describe this..
Sarva Sara (essence of everything)

Stanza 21

As one sees the moon as only one and very bright on the full night,so one should perceive Brahman as one and luminous.Dalistic vision comes from false perception.

Stanza 22

As dualistic vision comes from false perception,so man of diversified intellect cannot realize the omnipresent Brahman.Only he who is pure attains the serene state of Brahman and his name is praised by many.

Stanza 23

No matter whether one is learned or illiterate,if he but realizes that Truth through the grace of the guru and through the grace of his own intellect,he is released from the turbulent ocean of maya.

Stanza 24

He who attains the Supreme Reality is free from attachment and aversion,is devoted to the welfare of all beings is serene and posesses a steady intellect.

Stanza 25

As the jar-space becomes one with the cosmic space on the destruction of the jar,so the yogi after death merges into his real nature---the Supreme Self.

Stanza 26

It has been said about the followers of action that whatever state they desire at the time of death,they attain.But this has not been said about the followers of yoga.

Stanza 27

The destiny of the followers of action can be described by the organ of speech,but the goal of the yogis is inexpressible,because it is not an object to be acquired.

Stanza 28

Knowing this one should not imagine any particular path for the yogis.They give up desire and doubt and therefore their perfection takes place spontaneously.

Stanza 29

No matter where a yogi may die..he never again enters into a mother's womb.He merges with the Supreme Brahman.

Stanza 30

He who has realized the Self which is innate,unborn and inconceivable is not contaminated by any evil.And once he is free from ignorance,he cannot perform any action.For that reason the self controlled mendicant is never bound.

Stanza 31

The yogi attains that Supreme Atman which is pure,unparalleled,formless,supportless,incorporeal,desireless,beyond the pairs of opposite,devoid of delusion and of undiminished power.

Stanza 32

The Yogi attains that Supreme Atman which is neither the Vedas nor initiation nor tonsure nor guru nor disciple nor symbolic diagrams nor mudras can manifest.

Dear all,
sorry for typing the stanzas late today...had to attend a medical symposium today..

Stanza 33

The yogi attains that eternal Supreme Atman which has originated from neither Shiva nor Shakthi nor Manu.it is not a lump of flesh nor has It a form nor limbs such as feet or hands.It is not an entity like a jar,which can be designed and finished.

Stanza 34

The yogi attains that Supreme Atman from the essence of which both moving and unmoving worlds emanate in which they rest and again into which they resolve as foam and bubbles arise from the modification of water and then again subside in it.

Stanza 35

The yogi attains that eternal Supreme Atman which is beyond knowledge and ignorance and which is not manifested by any such disciplines such as controlling the breath,fixing the gaze,practising postures or exercising the nerve current.

Stanza 36

The yogi attains that Supreme Atman which is neither many nor one nor both nor another.It is free from minuteness,largeness,vastness and emptiness.It is devoid of measuremant,dimension and sameness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest ads

Back