• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Avadhuta Gita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Friends,

When the learned Renuji comes to chapter V, I am sure everyone will not only be
thrilled, but also will have a feeling of comfortable reassurance since the Lord asks us :
Kimu rodisi manasi sarva-saman ? - Why do you grieve in thy heart when everything
is verily Brahman ? This takes us to the highest and sublime Truth. Renuji will
explain it well and perhaps emotionally too. Thanks.

Stanza 12

Be aware of the Atman always.It is continous and everywhere the same.You say "I am he who meditates" and "The Supreme One is the object of meditation."
Why do you thus divide the indivisible?

Stanza 13

You were never born and you will never die.You have never had a body.The Upanishads declare in many different ways this avowed truth "All is Brahman"

Upanishads--there are 2 types of scriptures.First the Shruti, which were revealed to the seers of truth and which have been handed down from guru to disciple; second the Smriti--that is manmade scriptural laws.
The Upanishads belong to the first category.As they are usually found at the end of each Vedas,they arecalled VEDANTA.

Stanza 14

You are always present within as well as without.You are that Supreme Beautitude always and everywhere.Why then do you run hither and thither like a confused Ghost?

Stanza 15

For you and me there can be neither union or seperation.In reality, neither you nor I nor this world exists.The atman alone abides.

Stanza 16

You do not belong to the 5 objects of senses,such as sound, touch,form,taste and smell; nor do they again belong to you.Indeed you are that Supreme Reality.what reason then have you to grieve?

Stanza 17

You have no birth or death, no memory, no bondage or liberation,nor have you good or evil.
Why do you weep,O my dear?Name and form belong neither to you nor to me.

stanza 18

O mind, why are you wandering about like a restless ghost?Realize that undifferentiated Atman.Give up all craving and be happy.

stanza 19

truly, you are that unchanging Reality, which is motionless,one and freedom itself.You do not experience passion or dispassion.Why then do you torment yourself by desiring objects of lust?

stanza 20

All the Upanishads declare that Brahman, the Supreme Reality is without attributes,pure immutable,bodiless and pervading evrything equally.
Know that I am that Brahman.Do not doubt this.

re

Stanza 11
Why do you not understand you are truly that absolute One?You are the eternal Atman reflecting all equally.You are the unrefuted Lord and ever shining.Then how can you think of day(light) or night(darkness).

stanza 20
All the Upanishads declare that Brahman, the Supreme Reality is without attributes,pure immutable,bodiless and pervading evrything equally.Know that I am that Brahman.Do not doubt this.

renu,

These two stanzas,are so enriching,one will automatically get enlightened,if their karmas are done with in this lifetime.The merger will automatically happen,just imagine when you actually chant this sloka in sanskrit in a raga.Amritam Tat Tvam Asi.

nachi naga.

I just want to know whether our ancient literature talks about `Ghosts'. If so what are the characteristics of such Ghosts. Has any body in this forum done any research or experience of Ghosts.

Please enlighten further.

All the best

Nice thathuvams written by many members here. They are vey nice to read. Are the members practising those philosophies too? Just curious to know. Thanks.

Cheers!

Sri Raghy,

In real life situations, one's knowledge may not come to one's help always.At times even though a person has sufficient knowledge, another person has to intervene or help.

In one Bhaagavata session the acharya gave an example for this...

A tanker lorry carrying diesel ,but on the way when it needs diesel, it has to go to the nearest diesel station only. The load it carries is not going to help it at that time.

But ..even if, in some cases , the knowledge and its display starts as a pretense in initial stages , gradually with increasing knowledge and satsang, one comes to practice the same with conviction.

Greetings

stanza 21
know this:That which has form is unreal(because it is limited bi its form);that which is formless is eternal.He who exemplifies this truth in his own life will no longer be subject to rebirth.

stanza 22

the sages say that the Reality is one and unchanging.When craving is renounced,unity and diversity cease to exist in the mind.

Craving;according to Vedanta, the whole world is nothing but a projection of the mind;cessation of desire,dissolution of the mind and illumination occurs simultaneously

this is a very nice explanation of the meaning of Samadhi

Samadhi (self-realization) is the ocean to which all sadhana (spiritual practice) flows. Every trace of name and form disappears in that ocean. The one who serves and the one who receives the service, the one who meditates and the one who is meditated upon - all such manifestations of duality is dispelled and destroyed. One will not experience even the experience. This is to say, one will not be aware that he/she is experiencing! This is the fruit of the highest meditation, the dearest moment of all those who yearn for God. It is the sign that the grace of the Lord is fully upon that individual.
- Divine Discourse, Prasanthi Vahini.

re

I just want to know whether our ancient literature talks about `Ghosts'. If so what are the characteristics of such Ghosts. Has any body in this forum done any research or experience of Ghosts.

Please enlighten further.

All the best

RVR,

Ghosts especially holy ghosts are our pithru loka residents who come to bhu-loka every important days like amavasya for example and during Mahalaya Tarpanam period.Usually the pindam is offered to crows which are vahanas for pithru(ghostly bodies) for that time period.

Our ancestors soul genes or atma pancha bhootham, help us enormously in our day to day life as well as in our spiritual quest for moksham.

For those who have died prematurely without fulfilling their duties and desires,the ghost can become a host in a living body or stray over hither and thither to trouble people,giving anxious moments in ones life.In my school an old tree was considered haunted and really weird things used to happen.

By keeping a seance,one can recall a dead persons spirit,and give information,provided the spirit is a holy one.God forbid if an un-holy spirit enters the medium during seance,then we all have to run like where is my towel and my clothes(thunda kaanum thuniya kannum).

Thanks.

Nachi Naga.

Stanza 23

How can a man attain samadhi as long as he thinks of himself as something other than the Atman?but on the other hand,samadhi is not possible for a man who thinks of himself as the Atman.
How can Samadhi be attained as long as man thinks that Atman exists and yet does not exist?
And what need is there to attain samadhi if all are one and by nature free?

samadhi--this superconscious sate is of 2 kinds; savikalpa and nirvikalpa.In nirvikalpa samadhi,knower-knowledge-knowable become unified: but this does not occur in savikalpa samadhi.
Here Dattatreya means to say that being Atman,it is illogical to think that one would have to practise samadhi.

i am going to attach another explantion of samadhi by Sri Sathya Sai Baba(which i had put in this thread yesterday)

Samadhi (self-realization) is the ocean to which all sadhana (spiritual practice) flows. Every trace of name and form disappears in that ocean. The one who serves and the one who receives the service, the one who meditates and the one who is meditated upon - all such manifestations of duality is dispelled and destroyed. One will not experience even the experience. This is to say, one will not be aware that he/she is experiencing! This is the fruit of the highest meditation, the dearest moment of all those who yearn for God. It is the sign that the grace of the Lord is fully upon that individual.

- Divine Discourse, Prasanthi Vahini

Stanza 24

You are the ever- pure and unchanging Reality.You are bodiless,birthless and imperishable.
"I know the Atman" or "I do not know"...why do you think in such terms.

Last edited:
Stanza 25

The Atman, the true nature of being has been establish by the great Vedic dictums ,such as Thou art That and I am Brahman.The body consisiting of 5 elements is unreal--this has been declared by the Upanishads saying"Not this,Not this"

Vedic Dictums
Consciousness is Brahman(Prajnanam Brahma)--Aitareya Upanishad(3.1.3) of the Rig Veda

I am Brahman(Aham Brahmasmi)---Brihadaranyaka Upanishad(1.4.10) of the Yajur Veda

Thou Art That(Tat Tvam Asi)---Chandogya Upanishad(6.8.7) of the Sama Veda

This Atman Is Brahman(Ayam Atma Brahma)---Mandukya Upanishad(2) of the Atharvana Veda

Not this Not this--- it is a process of elimination or negation since the Atman cannot be described in a positive way.
"This Self is that which has been described as Not this, Not this.it is imperceptible, for It is never perceived;undecaying, for It never decays;unattached for It is never attached;unfettered--It never feels pain and never suffers injury"
(Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 4.5.15)

Last edited:
Stanza 26

Truly everything in this universe is filled through and through by your Atman alone.
Thus there is no meditator or meditation in your mind.
How is it that you are meditating without any sense of shame?

Stanza 27

How can i speak of or worship that Supreme Beautitude which I do not know as an object of knowledge?For I myself am that Supreme Beautitude--The Ultimate Reality, which is full by nature and all pervading like space.

Stanza 28

I am not the cosmic principles.I am that selfsame Reality, which is devoid of inference and reason and free from subject and object.How can I know my Self?

Dr Renuka,

Can you please explain more about stanza 26, more specifically about meditation.

Long back I attended a Transcendental Meditation course at Maharishi Mahesh Yogi center. But somehow I could not continue further and I left it .
My earnest feeling is it is very difficult to control the mind through meditation. To tell bluntly `Mind is like a Monkey'.

All the best

Dear RVRJi,

actually i am another monkey only...even i feel mind especially mine cannot be still even for a moment.

i am going to type the explanation given for stanza 26 from the book itself

Shame: There is a chance of misunderstanding this utterance of Dattatreya.People may think meditation is useless, which is not true.The purpose of meditation is illumination.But Dattatreya was a knower of Brahman and he instructed from his level of realization.
His idea is: A human being by nature is free and one's meditation presupposes a shameful forgetfulness of one's true divine nature.

re

Dear RVRJi,

actually i am another monkey only...even i feel mind especially mine cannot be still even for a moment.

i am going to type the explanation given for stanza 26 from the book itself

Shame: There is a chance of misunderstanding this utterance of Dattatreya.People may think meditation is useless, which is not true.The purpose of meditation is illumination.But Dattatreya was a knower of Brahman and he instructed from his level of realization.
His idea is: A human being by nature is free and one's meditation presupposes a shameful forgetfulness of one's true divine nature.

renu,rvr

had a nice chuckle equating mind to monkey,though i immdly asked for forgiveness to lord hanuman,just in case during saturns 7.5 yrs,can take me to task.

while mediatating i visualise a ball of light,somehow this works for me,as explained by dattatriya siva baba formerly known as agastya & ramalinga adigalar. YouTube - Grace Light Meditation guidelines

hope you watch and enjoy grace as much as i do.

nachi naga.

Stanza 29

An object cannot be infinite by nature.Matter cannot be Reality Itself.Truly the Atman alone is the Supreme Reality.It is neither injurious nor non violent.

Stanza 30

You are that pure, bodiless,unborn,imperishable,unchanging Reality.How can there be any confusion relating to the Atman?
And again,how can you say "I am confused"?

Stanza 29

An object cannot be infinite by nature.Matter cannot be Reality Itself.Truly the Atman alone is the Supreme Reality.It is neither injurious nor non violent.

Stanza 30

You are that pure, bodiless,unborn,imperishable,unchanging Reality.How can there be any confusion relating to the Atman?
And again,how can you say "I am confused"?

I fully agree that Atman is not confused and confusion is restricted to mind only. But it is the mind which prevents us from realising the Atman. Why mind is doing like that? Mind always identifies ourselves with the body and not the Atman. Any answers for this behavior of mind

All the best

As long as budhi is associated with kaarana sharira,atma-gnayanam does not occur.

nachi naga.

I fully agree that Atman is not confused and confusion is restricted to mind only. But it is the mind which prevents us from realising the Atman. Why mind is doing like that? Mind always identifies ourselves with the body and not the Atman. Any answers for this behavior of mind

All the best

Dear RVRJi,

Mind behaves in such a manner owing to the delusive effect/influence of MAYA.

I will just take a stanza from a poem I wrote long back..

"Well enshrouded by the Cosmic Deluder,
Spun like a spider a web of three colours,
Destroy the bond with the Power of Knowledge
Emerge a chrysalis from the cocoon of Ignorance."

Explanation:

Gods Maya Shakthi(Cosmic Deluder) creates a web of 3 gunas(3 colours) into which all mortals get trapped like a insect in a spiders web.
We have to get out of this bond by the knowledge of the Atman and emerge a like a butterfly(chrysalis) emerging free from a cocoon.

Last edited:
Dear RVRJi,

Mind behaves in such a manner owing to the delusive effect/influence of MAYA.

I will just take a stanza from a poem I wrote long back..

"Well enshrouded by the Cosmic Deluder,
Spun like a spider a web of three colours,
Destroy the bond with the Power of Knowledge
Emerge a chrysalis from the cocoon of Ignorance."

Explanation:

Gods Maya Shakthi(Cosmic Deluder) creates a web of 3 gunas(3 colours) into which all mortals get trapped like a insect in a spiders web.
We have to get out of this bond by the knowledge of the Atman and emerge a like a butterfly(chrysalis) emerging free from a cocoon.

Excellent poem Dr Renuka,

I think you have to reveal all your talents in this forum. Please don't expect others to provoke every time.

Please keep it up

All the best

Stanza 31

When the jar is broken,the jar-space(that is the space contained in the jar) becomes completely unified with the undifferentiated space.So also when the mind becomes purified,it is united with the Supreme Beatitude.Thus no diversity is perceived by me.

Stanza 32

Distinction such as jar and jar space, individual body and individual soul, do not exists in Brahman.Realize that Absolute Brahman which neither is knowable nor can be made known.

Stanza 33

The Atman exists always everywhere and in everything.It is eternal and unchanging.Everything in this wirld is void and again it is filled with the Atman.Realize:i am that Atman.Do not doubt this.

Stanza 34

In Brahman there are neither Vedas nor worlds nor devas nor sacrifices;neither stages of life nor castes nor race nor lineage;there is neither the path of smoke nor the path of light.
Only the selfsame Brahman,the Supreme Reality exists.

Stanza 35

if you have realized that Absolute One,which is free from the pervader and the pervaded,how can you think of the Atman as perceptible or imperceptible?

Stanza 36

Some prefer to be nondualist while others prefer to be dualist; but none of them truly know the selfsame Brahman,which is devoid of duality or non duality.

Stanza 31

When the jar is broken,the jar-space(that is the space contained in the jar) becomes completely unified with the undifferentiated space.So also when the mind becomes purified,it is united with the Supreme Beatitude.Thus no diversity is perceived by me.

Stanza 32

Distinction such as jar and jar space, individual body and individual soul, do not exists in Brahman.Realize that Absolute Brahman which neither is knowable nor can be made known.

Jar & space example is excellent. A very simple explanation of a great philosophy

Thank you

Please keep it up

All the best

Stanza 33

The Atman exists always everywhere and in everything.It is eternal and unchanging.Everything in this wirld is void and again it is filled with the Atman.Realize:i am that Atman.Do not doubt this.

Stanza 34

In Brahman there are neither Vedas nor worlds nor devas nor sacrifices;neither stages of life nor castes nor race nor lineage;there is neither the path of smoke nor the path of light.
Only the selfsame Brahman,the Supreme Reality exists.

Stanza 35

if you have realized that Absolute One,which is free from the pervader and the pervaded,how can you think of the Atman as perceptible or imperceptible?

Stanza 36

Some prefer to be nondualist while others prefer to be dualist; but none of them truly know the selfsame Brahman,which is devoid of duality or non duality.

Stanza 33 talks about Atman and Stanza 34 talks about Brahman. Are they one and the same. If not what is the difference.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back