• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

As a Brahmin, is it wrong for me to try non veg?

Eshwaran1993

Hello everyone, I am Eshwaran and just joined this community, there's something that I have always wanted to do but because of my beliefs I haven't been able to. I have a small urge to TRY non veg food just for me to be able to get a taste of it and have an experience. I follow Kanchi mahaperiyava's teaching, but will trying non veg make me be rejected by god? Is it wrong to just try for an experience?

I have wishes to god and everything is going smoothly and very thankful to that, but if I try non veg, will my prayers not be answered by god? Will he stop fulfilling my wishes? Will he forcefully take me to a path that will lead me to be a failure than the path he chose for me to be successful if I try non veg?

Please let me know, thank you.

Hi Eshwaran,
Eating non veg is not followed in our culture because we tell Gayatri Mantra daily. Our tongue should be smooth. We avoid garlic and onion as it makes our tongue little harder.
Knowing that fire is dangerous, we avoid it. Similarly we should avoid it. It should not come in thought only
It is a sin . But god bless everybody even from plants to humans

In my school days I have taken non-veg offered by classmates but I gave up several years ago after realising the significance of vegetarianism and I do not take even cake.

Regarding onion and garlic I do have arguments with orthodox people (including (read especially) my relatives). I personally feel if it's OK to take animal products like milk and honey why brand onion and garlic as unclean. I do avoid onion and garlic during Navaratri and other days of religious significance as my mother believed in it.

Both onion and garlic are good for health and to me health overrides any religious belief!

Hello everyone, I am Eshwaran and just joined this community, there's something that I have always wanted to do but because of my beliefs I haven't been able to. I have a small urge to TRY non veg food just for me to be able to get a taste of it and have an experience. I follow Kanchi mahaperiyava's teaching, but will trying non veg make me be rejected by god? Is it wrong to just try for an experience?

I have wishes to god and everything is going smoothly and very thankful to that, but if I try non veg, will my prayers not be answered by god? Will he stop fulfilling my wishes? Will he forcefully take me to a path that will lead me to be a failure than the path he chose for me to be successful if I try non veg?

Lord Narayana bless all, Let no evil thought crop up in any human creation.
Coming to your query, there are some dos & don’ts when any individual wholeheartedly accepts certain principles for healthy living, may be Constitution of India-freedom of rights and duties, Traffic Rules, School or educational institution discipline, medical profession ethics, etc and one such time-tested thousands of years old practice is “Brahminism”- the prime duty is “Kondru thindramai, etc”. Either one should voluntarily take a oath to abide by such rules & regulation s or otherwise. No one under the existing constitution of India and freedom of living can prevent any one from eating non-veg. Scientifically, it is said that those who are non-vegetarians by generations or desire to become non/vegetarian do have very sharp well elevated cannine teeth by birth and those who are vegetarian over generations or do not like non-vegetarian being born in non/vegetarian family do have least sharp, least elevated cannine teeth and vegetarians in general have nearly flat denture than non-veg individuals. However, I feel the provoking company one keeps, Will power one develops, and conviction one has “called self dictated self discipline” to adhere to the family traditions do matter a lot than any other subjective or scientific justifications for such out of tradition desires and ventures. Nothing is good totally and nothing is bad totally, time and space with intellectual reasoning and self judgement for the time is justified as “correct”. God bless all.

Dear Sir,

Let me help you here from the medical point of view.

Sometimes when our bodies have strange cravings that too cravings that are not in accordance to our culture it could be an underlying medical issue.

When the body is low on Iron stores or there is occult(hidden) blood loss the body starts to crave high iron containing food especially meat.
Also if your Liver Function Tests shows Low Total Protein a person starts to crave non veg.

Low Thyroid functions too can cause food cravings to ramp up the Basal Metabolic Rate.
If you are diabetic and are in a state of catabolism..some crave non veg to prevent tissue wasting.

As a medical doctor I advise you to see a doctor and get yourself tested.

Dont worry about God ..I remember before someone had asked in Forum is God Veg or Non Veg and a member replied that "it depends if God is waiting outside an Udipi Hotel or Muniandi Vilas"

So just look into your health as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Hi,
Even I take onion and garlic,Not on all days. Before the night of deepavalli, we used to prepare onion bhaji and sambar. Garlic was given after delivery of baby. Everything was there in our culture. We should always think and make others follow bhagavath names. So we eat sathvika food. While shatryas need more strength and stamina and courage against whom they fight, so they prefer non veg. Pepper and jeera, ginger, are good in digestion and give the energy for the work we do

. I follow Kanchi mahaperiyava's teaching, but will trying non veg make me be rejected by god? Is it wrong to just try for an experience?

Dear Eshwaran

Scientifically we have a digestive system which power to digest both Vegetarian and Non-
Vegetarian foods

You say you are a Brahmin and being a Brahmin you needs to follow the principles practiced in our caste.

Brhmins generally love to lead a very peaceful and contented life

As such, it is better to learn the principles that govern our food habits, more particularly not bound by Gunas Kama Kama(Lust), Krodha (anger), Lobha(greed),Moha (attachment, Mada (Pide) and Matsarya (Jealousy) the negzative characteristics which is believed to prevent man from attainting moksha.

Gunas are primarily responsible for our predominant traits, actions and behaviour. They influence our behaviour by taking sattvic diets for more happiness and knowledge.

Therefore, among the three Gugnas Sattva, Rajas and Tamas, Brahmins follow sattvic way of life which is considered idle for Ayul, Arogyam and Soughyam (longevity,health, happiness) and helps to develop self-discipline, spiritual practices like பூஜை , புனஷ்காரம், மடி ஆசாரம் , அனுஷ்டானம் நேம நிஷ்டை, and cultivate various good qualities like honesty, non-violence, compassion, contentment, selflessness and lead a peaceful and contended life with mindfulness.

Hi

I don’t see a need for you to try non veg food. Today you have an urge to eat non veg tomorrow you may have urge to do something else. As a culture we don’t eat non veg food, since we perform sandhyavandanam daily and it will not bring anything good to you. Now people are trying to become veg and vegan.

Vimal Iyer

We have discussed this subject many times in this Forum.
It is my view that there is no relationship between birth of a person and food we take. Neither character and food what we take. Adolf Hitler was strict vegetarian and teatoller then how is that the Nazi Germany and it's collaborators developed hatred towards Jews and systematically exterminated more than six million of them without mercy.
What kind of food humans can take is decided by nature in birth itself by the set of denture and digestive system provided. Basically humans are herbivores, vegetarians, but we are provided canine teeth also in rudimentary form. Thus we can be classified as omnivores.

Religious and spiritual practices have no relationship with the kind of food we take. Nisargadatta Maharaj and H.H.Dalailama explain this from their life.
Human beings are provided an extra sense "viveka" or discrimination. Killing another life is not correct. This is a cultural refinement. Except fruits and vegetables (without seeds) all others have life.

Better to be vegetarians so as to restrict the destruction of another life for the sake of food. Basically what to eat is decided by the cultural background in which we are brought up and the availability of food where we were born.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:

I am

I am a senior citizen presently resident in Chennai and I'll narrate the story of a lady from the Hindi speaking regions who is married to a Tamil Brahmin. The only stipulation, rather a request, the husband made before agreeing to the marriage was that she should not cook any non-vegetarian items in the kitchen to which she agreed. She was a hard core non vegetarian and had been so since childhood. A couple of years after the marriage her craving for eating non-vegetarian food at restaurants, friends and at her parents home got minimised and in 4 or 5 years she reached a stage where she developed a revulsion for non vegetarian items. Of course her husband is quite happy though he had never insisted or compelled her to stop eating non-veg.

In your case, as a medical doctor has suggested, there is probably some deficiency in the body which makes you crave for non vegetarian food. More than two or three decades ago, a shepherd in England, if I remember correctly, was astonished when his goat just gobbled up a small chicken. I read this in a very old issue of the Readers' Digest. The goat probably was urged to gobble up the chicken to make up for some deficiencies in its body. Thanks for reading.

The Bhagavad Gita clearly states that some foods like garlic onion and nonveg foods promote Tamasic personality that is tending to be lazy and cruel. that is why Lord Krishna says that we must eat sattvic foods promoting soft and pleasing nonhurting qualities. .It is for you to choose. There is no dictat. Actually, a guna brahmin alone is a true brahmin. All others born in a brahmin family are only jaathi brahmanas or brahmins by birth and not in reality. Refer to Krishna's definition of brahmin in Gita. Are you aware that none of our gods are the so-called brahmins? and Veda Vyasa was born to a fisherwoman?
We scoff at intercaste marriages but we celebrate with zeal only Valli kalyaanam and Radha kalyanm and not Sita kalyanam. Purity and ahimsa are in our minds. Think and then plunge in your pleasure
Dr T N Balasubramanian

I think it is a dangerous urge.
What if you develop an urge to taste Potassium Cyanide. or cobra venom, or exposure to locomotive hitting you head-on at full speed?

திரு.ஈஸ்வரன் அவர்களுக்கு,
இந்த மாதிரியான எண்ணங்கள் மனதில் தோன்றும்போதே அதைக் கருவருத்துவிட வேண்டும். இப்போது கறி கேட்கும் மனது நாளை மது கேட்டால் என்ன செய்வீர்கள்? கறி தின்னாவிட்டால் என்ன குறைந்து விடப் போகிறது. நமக்குத் தேவையில்லாத வேலைகளை செய்யாமல் இருப்பதே நல்லது.
எனக்கு 52 வயதாகிறது. மதுவை எந்த வடிவத்திலும் நான் தொட்டதேயில்லை. ஆனால் 15 வயதிலிருந்து என் நண்பர்களோடு பாரில் உட்கார்ந்து பொரிகடலை சாப்பிட்டிருக்கிறேன். எத்தனை வகையான வலை விரிப்புகள் என்று நினைக்கிறீர்கள்.
  • பீர் குடி. உடலுக்குக் குளிர்ச்சி.
  • மனிதனாய் பிறந்தால் மனக் கட்டுப்பாடு தேவை. இன்று குடி..நாளை குடிக்காதே
  • ஒயின் குடி. இது திராட்சை ரசம் தான். பெண்களே குடிக்கிறார்கள்.
என்னுடைய நண்பர்கள் புரிந்து கொண்டார்கள். ஆனால் புதிது புதிதான நண்பர் குழு சேரும்போது கொஞ்ச நாட்களுக்கு கஷ்டமாய் இருக்கும்.பிறகு சரியாய் விடும். ஆனால் மனைவியை ஏமாற்றிவிட்டு சரக்கடிக்கப் போகிறவர்கள் என்னோடு வெளியே போவதாகக் கூறிவிட்டு சென்று விடுவார்கள். அவ்வளவுதான்.
உங்களுக்கும் இந்த மாதிரி வலை விரிப்புகள் நிகழும். அசைவம் சாப்பிட்டால் உடலுக்கு நல்லது. காந்திஜியே கறி தின்றிருக்கிறார். என்ன வேண்டுமானாலும் சொல்வார்கள்.
எனவே இது நமக்கு அவசியமற்ற தேடல்.

மோகன் குமார்.
கோயமுத்தூர்

நமஸ்காரம்,
நீங்க சரியாக சொல்கிறீர்கள். நண்பர்கள் நம் மனதை மாற்ற முயற்சி செய்வார்கள். அவரர் தர்மம் அவரற்கு. நமது தர்மத்தை நாம் காப்பாத்த வேண்டும். நமது சந்ததி பின்பற்ற வழி செய்ய வேண்டும்

Regarding Post 1: My comments.

Nature creates food by using air, water, carbon-di-oxide, earth (dirt), sunlight. One can eat such food and they do not run away.

One can also eat animals which eat plant food or meat. Some animals do not eat meat on their own (elephant, horse etc). Some can only eat meat. That is how nature is. Human beings are capable of eating anything including other human beings.

Most meat eaters cannot deal with the idea of eating other human beings (example : Imagine fresh roasted baby from a poor family from say east Asia LOL) They cannot think human meat as food.

Is animal meat food? Depends who you ask. It is not food created by nature. Just like human is not food created for other humans.

For many vegetarians, for themselves non-veg is not food though they may not want to force their views on others. If you think non-veg is food, then go and try it, do not worry about any rules. If you go to a tribe that eats human flesh and you are curious , try that too. The real question is do you consider animal flesh as food.

Or rather what is food to you ?

Like Madam Renuka suggests; cravings may have a medical reason, better to get checked out.

I have a small urge to TRY non veg food just for me to be able to get a taste of it and have an experience. I follow Kanchi mahaperiyava's teaching, but will trying non veg make me be rejected by god? Is it wrong to just try for an experience?

No one knows what God wants, or that he even wants anything.
We live our life according to our values and laws of nature and society.
Why do you need anyone else's opinion?
Then again are you going to change because of a stranger's opinion?

If you want a pang of guilt go do it and then you can feel sorry for yourself and you will have a readymade excuse for your failures.

No one knows what God wants, or that he even wants anything from us mortals.

I think it is a dangerous urge.
What if you develop an urge to taste Potassium Cyanide. or cobra venom, or exposure to locomotive hitting you head-on at full speed?

Hi,
Well said sir. No one have interest to try cyanide but have interest to try Non veg, other activities. Our father was so obedient to our grandparents. We are obedient but had leniency to object. Our children are demanding us. Here is how everything is changing

It is a proven fact that Human genes are profoundly affected and modified by the environment.
Your ancestors down the line in the past at some point had understood the advantages of Vegetarianism and had chosen that as their discipline. all these centuries the genes have been modified and nurtured by a certain environment in which there was no non-veg intake. Why do you want to disturb that and give up centuries of discipline? Particularly when there is no proportionate benefit to gain. If you have parachuted into a small island without any civilization while fleeing a nuclear holocast and have to eat the only other human being in the island which is just dead, it is a different scenario and survival takes the priority. But you are certainly not in that situation. Please read a research paper submitted by Rob Boyd of the UCLA on how genes are affected by environmental factors and you will get a rare insight into the matter. Your brahmin genes are used to a veg environment for long.

Non-veg food leads you to a life of dominance of Rajo and Tamo gunas. A brahmin's chosen way of life with discipline is to live most of his life with dominance of satva guna. Veg diet helps you in this and non-veg diet comes in conflict with this.

Though God may not immediately punish you for eating non veg. stuff, you add to your Papa load by constructively contributing to killing and violence. You have to suffer for the papa you commit.

Finally there is nothing equal to eating a simple rice mixed with sundakkai vatral kuzhambu or a rich varuththu araichcha kuzhambu accompanied by koththavarankai paruppu usili and pudalankai koottu topped up by fried koozh vadaam and a roasted masala paappad. To be followed up with a little thayir saatham with naarthangai urukai. No non-veg food is equal to this. LOL.

Last edited:
Hi Eshwaran,
Eating non veg is not followed in our culture because we tell Gayatri Mantra daily. Our tongue should be smooth. We avoid garlic and onion as it makes our tongue little harder.
Knowing that fire is dangerous, we avoid it. Similarly we should avoid it. It should not come in thought only
It is a sin . But god bless everybody even from plants to humans
Eating non veg will cultivate Rajas guna and Tamasa Guna which will not permit to do your karma.

From the beginning human being tried all food culture and they separated themselves to each group veg and non veg and then divided themselves into caste according to their believes, now we have born in Brahmin community and follow the rules given to us if not all ,so we needn’t answer or face criticism if we follow the birth culture

First my opinion Don't try it. Let us go to discussion.
When we go up and up refinement this is what happens.
Human beings were eating every under the sky and on Earth, dynocer meat,snakes,insects and why not eating other human beings( Cannabolism).
Then they reduced the number of other animals and came down to domestic animals like beaf,mutton,chicken,duck etc
Further refinement stopped with mutton and chicken (anti beaf)and some group only eggs. When become vegetarians ,avoided some of the vegetables like garlic, onion and some vegetables.
Then comes the vegen.( I can't do without Thachi mammu)
Still further yogic diet uncooked vegetables and fruits.
We even read about rishis living only breathing air.
It is the order of refinement. Why you want to go back.
We are lucky to be born in the higher order like direct recruit ,civil service officers. You want to become lower cader.
Why doctor tells you to avoid non veg when you are sick. Why many non veg people avoid these during days of prayers.
No doubt veg is satvick. We are brilliant only because of our eating habits which has transformed in our genes.
There are very successful people all over the world who take non veg ,but if you analyse,they may not have best of everything.
Lasty I have my own doubt , how agasthiar devoured vaathaapi?

First my opinion Don't try it. Let us go to discussion.
When we go up and up refinement this is what happens.
Human beings were eating every under the sky and on Earth, dynocer meat,snakes,insects and why not eating other human beings( Cannabolism).
Then they reduced the number of other animals and came down to domestic animals like beaf,mutton,chicken,duck etc
Further refinement stopped with mutton and chicken (anti beaf)and some group only eggs. When become vegetarians ,avoided some of the vegetables like garlic, onion and some vegetables.
Then comes the vegen.( I can't do without Thachi mammu)
Still further yogic diet uncooked vegetables and fruits.
We even read about rishis living only breathing air.
It is the order of refinement. Why you want to go back.
We are lucky to be born in the higher order like direct recruit ,civil service officers. You want to become lower cader.
Why doctor tells you to avoid non veg when you are sick. Why many non veg people avoid these during days of prayers.
No doubt veg is satvick. We are brilliant only because of our eating habits which has transformed in our genes.
There are very successful people all over the world who take non veg ,but if you analyse,they may not have best of everything.
Lasty I have my own doubt , how agasthiar devoured vaathaapi?
Dear Sir,

Dinosaurs existed before humans and become extinct much before humans came into existence.
Doctors do not tell to avoid non veg...mostly doctors go along cultural practices...so you would find docs in India or from Indian heritage saying to avoid non veg for some conditions but the same wont be said by docs of other cultures although a soft diet is always recommended.

In Malaysia the Chinese belief that during a fever one should avoid rice and eat wheat products instead.
Logically this doesnt jive in countries that only eat rice..so it could just be a traditional belief..so when my Chinese patients ask me "can i eat rice when I am having fever"...I just play the placebo effect and tell him/her that "well, you can follow traditional beliefs too if that helps you heal faster"

I dont tell him/her that eating rice or wheat makes no difference during a fever cos if I can get his/her mind to believe that he/she would heal faster half my battle is won.

If you read Ayurveda treatment at times for some ailments meat soup is recommended for some ailments.

So it always depends on the ailment and local beliefs.

When we are sick we generally eat less and appetite becos the body focuses of healing rather than digestion but not many people want to understand this and panic like hell when a person who is unwell doesnt eat as much and pump a sick person with all sorts of liquid food/drinks/soups.

If we observe animals we see that they do not eat during sickness and some cats even eat grass during sickness...animals listen to their bodies but we humans seldom want to listen to our bodies partly cos of the fear of losing weight.

From my personal experience I have seen patients from India always want a good appetite and wants all sorts of "tonics" and vitamins and an over attachment to food.

Thats why personally I fast every Monday and Thursday from dawn to dusk..only have a predawn meal and post dusk meal and no food and water in between.

When we fix our mind that our food and water would only be pre dawn and post dusk and do not think of water and food the whole day..we actually get so many things done and lessen our attachment to food.

A lot of ailments are related to over attachment to food...if we could lessen this attachment at least 2x a week you would see your health improve

BTW Jews have won the most nobel prizes and Jew are mostly not vegetarians and eat Kosher meat.

Japanese too eat lots of fish and they are such an advanced nation now with refined thinking and ethics and cleanliness.

So its hard to fully link food with intelligence.

Last edited:
Doctor, I appreciate your post on medical view of Veg and Non veg food ."Lankanam parama aushadam" goes an old saying. Skipping (food) is the best medicine.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Latest ads

Back