• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are We Really Concerned About Our Community?????Let us do a Retrospective Analysis

Good Morning All
Based on the latest conversation...
One thing.. everyone wants an easy life.
I wont say self centered but not ready to come forward for a common cause..
The basic purpose of this thread itself is defeated....The entire conversation is just about the Individual perspective.... there is no common cause...."How I can Live Peacefully"..
Our peace cannot be considered as a community Change...
Thanks
K Ramesh
பிராமணாளோட எல்லா லக்ஷணங்களயும், பூணலைத்தவிர, விட்டாச்சு-
சி'கை, பஞ்சகச்சம், பார்வண ஸ்ராத்த!ம், தர்ப்பணம், ஸந்த்யாவந்தனம், ஸம்ஸ்கிருதம், தேவநாகரி.
இதுக்குமேல விட ஒண்ணுமில்லயே.
அப்படியும் மத்தவா நம்பளை ஒத்துக்கலையே.
அதுக்காவது, ஒரு ஜாதி சங்கம் வச்சு (like an extended family)ஒத்தருக்கு ஒத்தர், முக்கயமா குழந்தைகள் படிப்பு, கல்யாணம் போன்ற லௌகீக விஷயங்களில் ஒத்தாசயா இருக்கக்கூடாதா? நம்ம ஸந்ததிகளுக்கு நம்ம ஸம்ப்ரதாயங்களிலே ஒரு பிடிப்பா இருக்குமே.
பகவான் தான் நல்ல வழி காட்டணும்.

சி'கை, பஞ்சகச்சம், பார்வண ஸ்ராத்த!ம், தர்ப்பணம், ஸந்த்யாவந்தனம், ஸம்ஸ்கிருதம், தேவநாகரி.
அதுக்காவது, ஒரு ஜாதி சங்கம் வச்சு (like an extended family)ஒத்தருக்கு ஒத்தர், முக்கயமா குழந்தைகள் படிப்பு, கல்யாணம் போன்ற லௌகீக விஷயங்களில் ஒத்தாசயா இருக்கக்கூடாதா? நம்ம ஸந்ததிகளுக்கு நம்ம ஸம்ப்ரதாயங்களிலே ஒரு பிடிப்பா இருக்குமே.
பகவான் தான் நல்ல வழி காட்டணும்.
hi

finally total surrender to GOD....as Lord Krishna said in bhagavad gita.....sarva dharman.....

HE will take care of....MAA SUCHAHA....

hi

finally total surrender to GOD....as Lord Krishna said in bhagavad gita.....sarva dharman.....

LOL!

Yes, finally that's all there is to life.
We need to surrender to God and realize that we are never the actual doer in any real sense.
But that does not mean we have to be attached to inaction and at the same time we can adhere to culture/religion etc but not get attached to it as if that is our identity.

Our only identity is "Atma" and nothing else.

Dear Ramesh Ji,

I don't know about you but I feel this whole Covid-19 pandemic is teaching us something.

It is teaching us the following:

1)When disaster strikes everyone is at risk, the rich and famous, the poor , the highly educated, the not so formally educated, the so called High and so called Low.

2)It showed us that society needs to function as one unit.

3)When everything was at a standstill we humans had to just rely on basic needs,food, water, health facilities.
All culture/religion etc took a back step.
In fact it shut down all places of worship and we all had to abandon our cultural practices for a while.

4)What does this show?
We suddenly realized we do not actually need that many clothes or shoes or anything cos we had no where to go.
At one point all the money we had was not even being actually used and money would have been of zero value if there was a famine.

5)So what did we rely on finally?
SELF and God (for those who have a belief in God)
Where was God placed?
In our hearts.
The places of worship were closed but the temple in our hearts was not closed.

6)So what is culture?
Culture is realizing the full quantum potential in us as humans and we are the living temples where God resides...there is no total eclipse of the heart where God resides.

7)I am not saying external culture is not important but what I mean to say is the only culture that we would be left with is the culture of knowledge of SELF.

This is what I learnt from COVID-19.

God keeps things simple..I guess we humans like complicated matters.
Finally what are we? The culture? the caste? the High -Low breeds? What are we??

The final answer of "Who Am I" is the actual culture of existence.

லௌகீக விஷயங்களில் ஒத்தாசயா இருக்கக்கூடாதா? நம்ம ஸந்ததிகளுக்கு நம்ம ஸம்ப்ரதாயங்களிலே ஒரு பிடிப்பா இருக்குமே.
There are only two ways of living for Brahmins one lowghegam and other vaidheegam.

In vaidheegam too there are many compromises in this fast rat race world. They have to use gadgets for communication and vehicles for travel etc.,. Also earning they have to do a lot in this era of modern world.

In lowgheegham I hope 25 percent are still living in their orthodox but in another percentage even those who have gone abroad atleast felt to keep and those have gone other states too little bit keeping the Brahmins practice but those who stays in TN are totally mixed like what you said.

The last line is correct. But living like two generations before is not that easy

For that I have read in the fb that we cannot go back to agraharam as everything gone out of our hand to others and so in this world there are few compromises atleast for earning and keeping the rituals as traditional but others says when you compromise for the convenience we compromise everything to mingle with society.

Atlast as you said
Only God has to save.

பகவான் தான் நல்ல வழி காட்டணும்
Nothing can be a more apt expression of the anguish of the the oppressed community than this.
I see this as an outcry of a person whom his brethren and in and around neighbors have deserted
and a lack of human touch in our sea of humanity We are humans first and we have to have human
to human consideration. Somehow somewhere we have lost this precious thing.A deep search is
needed.
God helps only those who help themselves!

hi

hi

மனுஷனோட பிறவிப் பயன் தர்மத்துடன் அனுசரித்த அர்த காமங்களை அனுபவித்து மோக்ஷத்திற்கு பிரார்த்திப்பது தான். அதற்கு பகவத் ச'ங்கல்பம் தேவை. பகவான் புத்தி கொடுத்திருக்கார். அதை வச்சு லக்ஷியத்தை அடைய வழி நாம்தான் நிர்ணயிக்கணும். பகவானை வேண்டிண்டு பலன் நிச்சயம்னு நம்பிண்டு அந்த வழில போணும். ஒருத்தர் தன் ஹீனஸ்திதிலேந்து விடுபட அவர்தான் முயற்சிக்கணும். பகவத் அநுக்ரஹம் மட்டும் போறாது.
उद्धरेत् आत्मना आत्मानम् ...

There is truth in both sides. We are often taught pluralism, whereas the other segments of the population are often taught chauvinism. This results in identity politics and our heritage degraded both internally and externally. This one-sided belief system must be understood for what it is and we must cherish our heritage and culture whilst the rest of the world rejects us as such. In fact we are more of an ethnic group than a caste, since we differ from most of Tamil community in ancestry and culture. This arouses jealousy and they will attempt to break us down. In fact the entire world is bent on eradicating us as a distinct group due this is a process occuring since the Islamic and British periods.
We need to utilize community bonds to support each other and build ourselves up. To this, we have to interact with another and not be sanctimonious on trivial and petty issues that only serve to mutually disadvantage ourselves. Therefore, community building is to be undertaken.
You may not realize this, but community bonds is often what makes or breaks a society. Our social bonds helped us excel massively in an unforgiving era. If we are to discard our solidarity, we will sink and crumble as a people and disappear under the sand of time. For example most Jews have foresaken religious tradition, but maintain their ethnic solidarity regardless. This has enabled them cultivate themselves to succeed massively in many spheres. We are very much like them in our social and cultural bonds, but we must take the step forward and preserve our solidarity, brotherhood and sisterhood in face of all these challenges, and we will reap even further success in the future.
We just have to keep our chin up and work together!

but seriously is the situation that bad?

I always felt most of the Tamil Brahmins are resilient and survive against all odds and mostly are doing well in life especially abroad.

I really feel may be you could be wanting an ancient feel to time.
The reason we are resilient is because of our culture and our traditions. Our ancestors lived in Agraharams and Vedic gurukuls that brought ourselves together. We are the beneficieries of the sacrifices and efforts of our ancestors and we must recognize that by at least cherishing our heritage. Social capital is what makes or breaks a society or ethnic group, and the culture of our ancestors is what gave us the social capital needed to excel and be resilient. We have a lot to contribute to the world and to contribute the most, we need to unite and work together.

The reason we are resilient is because of our culture and our traditions. Our ancestors lived in Agraharams and Vedic gurukuls that brought ourselves together. We are the beneficieries of the sacrifices and efforts of our ancestors and we must recognize that by at least cherishing our heritage. Social capital is what makes or breaks a society or ethnic group, and the culture of our ancestors is what gave us the social capital needed to excel and be resilient. We have a lot to contribute to the world and to contribute the most, we need to unite and work together.
Social capital is what makes or breaks a people. We have social capital, and we must not discard this just because others may envy or scorn us. This is literally the difference between Jews and the rest of europeans. It's not even race or genetics that defines us, but rather the kinship links that hold us together. The Western societies are stagnating due to declining social capital and degrading kinship links, it will be the cause of their doom. The kinships links we had enabled us to succeed and we must respect and honor this as such. From this we can help others in achieving their full potential.

Dear All
Good Morning...
This Question comes to my very often...Don't know How many of you have the same experience.
And If we say Yes... then we cheat ourselves.. If we Say No.. we cheat our Community..
We are hanging in between..
I don't see an absolute Unity among us.. We Just react to the situation and vanish from there scene or forget everything till the next incident comes.
But No concrete steps taken to strengthen our community.
Just helping for education, Medical and Marriage is not going to change the way our community is look at..These are all just a momentary solutions..
We might be a minority...But with unity we can transform our community.
We need to go back to the period where we actually left everything to give a better future to the Next Gen...
Our Culture, Our System, Our Way of Life...Most of us are totally away from it... and caught in the Vicious Cycle..Even if we try to break or come out of it.. we fail and of course its next to impossible.
But we can try again and again and should start some where...
But we can change the future of the Next Gen..
The success of other Communities are because of our failure...
We can Change this...But only when we go back to the period where we left and start from there..
We can Talk... Talk and Talk...
But I hope to get a concrete action Plan for the future...
I'm not a rebellion.. but a warrior Brahmin..Fight for the right..
I'm hoping for a constructive conversation and a first step towards it..
Jai Shri Ram...

Hello Ramesh sir,

I'll add some points and opinions which I can think of from my experience:-

1. Start with yourself. Initiate yourself in the path of Vedas. It can be as simple as chanting as say some small nama japam or even rudram everyday.

2. Be regular with Sandhyavandanam and if bachelor Samidadhanam. As far as the brahmayagnam, its up to oneself and wife.

3. Discuss the puranas, epics, Upanishads at home rather than say speak of Big boss, cinema, exams, targets. They can be done, but when you don't teach kids a basic understanding of these scriptures, its like we are preparing robots for to be employed by the corporate.

4. Help a brahmin family in your neighborhood. Teach their kids about the necessity of staying within the community, its importance and relevance.

5. Teach our kids about the history of persecutions, we have been teaching only school books. We need to unlearn and relearn a lot on our own to realize the truth.

6. Never belittle the priest in front of the kids. Other religions accord a high status to their religious leaders, while we make a laughing stock of them. If there is anything, one can take it up with the priest separately.

These Are some points I can contribute, I'll give reasons also why I believe these could work:-

Point 1-

I and many of the boys here were initiated into learning Vedas once the upanayanam was done. We used to study school, attend tuitions, but on weekends, we study Vedas just for 30 mins. Infact i attended these classes just to play cricket, but now I'm hooked into learning the Veda, most of us still attend it on weekends even though we're in our mid 20's. This makes a huge contribution to the community sense, cause I've seen both boys and girls who have attended these classes have never gone astray and are doing pretty well.

2. The most basic duty as a brahmin is this. I believe, we lose the license to be a brahmin, once we give up doing this. So, earn the license and try to maintain the license.

3. Discuss the itihasas with kids or gullible ones. I've had a fair share of fights in my office and many communists meetings over improper interpretation of the scriptures. Trust me, unless we teach our people the puranas ourselves, there is a sea of misinformation waiting on the other end waiting to hit you like a tsunami. So we need to construct the dam and protect ourselves.

4. Being a brahmin, we must live for world peace. But when people who practice some dharma is at stake, it is our duty to protect and guide them. I would say, help another human, but however, since most of the humans think tribally, other castes have their own support frameworks, in the case of brahmin, if any support is given, it gets reinterpreted with perverted meanings. So, save your community first.

5. We are here, not because of our skill, but because of our ancestors karma. I hope u agree. Cause, I can say, one of my ancestors was brutally decimated along with her family for practicing her dharma. This haunting memory runs in the family. What pains me is the fact that, many people today are completely oblivious to the pains of our ancestors. It is because of their sufferings and resilience, we have survived thus. So, we need to affirm our identity, for that you need to go to the roots.

6. Most of our priests live in penury. I agree, some are greedy and are selfish, but I personally wouldn't blame them, cause as a brahmin, I am supposed to do that, but I choose to be an engineer/doctor/say a CA for the sake of comforts. Many temples are in dilapidated condition in TN. No upkeep by the govts or any Brahman is present to volunteer. Most of the old boomers are busy changing the diapers of their grandkids. I'm sorry, this is a huge colossal mistake happening. At least the corporates outsourced their bpo jobs to India by paying us, but our elders are sitting in posh apartments and making fun of the lower category in the community, yuck!!!...such entiltememt should be condemned. Example, one of my sisters in-laws made a passing comment on the brahmins who attended their sons marriage, saying:- " Oh the beggars have arrived, give them bhiksha" . I confronted him, to which he said " what do you call people who chant mantras and earn money". To avoid creating ruckus, I walked away, but karma happened, the same old fellow now takes pride when his grandson is chanting mantras. Guess who became the beggar in the end!!.

Church fathers or maulvis are accorded respect for dedicating their lives to the religion, unless we do that to the priests here, expect nothing but contempt and ridicule.

These are my suggestions. Opinions are welcome!!.

Hello Ramesh sir,

I'll add some points and opinions which I can think of from my experience:-

1. Start with yourself. Initiate yourself in the path of Vedas. It can be as simple as chanting as say some small nama japam or even rudram everyday.

2. Be regular with Sandhyavandanam and if bachelor Samidadhanam. As far as the brahmayagnam, its up to oneself and wife.

3. Discuss the puranas, epics, Upanishads at home rather than say speak of Big boss, cinema, exams, targets. They can be done, but when you don't teach kids a basic understanding of these scriptures, its like we are preparing robots for to be employed by the corporate.

4. Help a brahmin family in your neighborhood. Teach their kids about the necessity of staying within the community, its importance and relevance.

5. Teach our kids about the history of persecutions, we have been teaching only school books. We need to unlearn and relearn a lot on our own to realize the truth.

6. Never belittle the priest in front of the kids. Other religions accord a high status to their religious leaders, while we make a laughing stock of them. If there is anything, one can take it up with the priest separately.

These Are some points I can contribute, I'll give reasons also why I believe these could work:-

Point 1-

I and many of the boys here were initiated into learning Vedas once the upanayanam was done. We used to study school, attend tuitions, but on weekends, we study Vedas just for 30 mins. Infact i attended these classes just to play cricket, but now I'm hooked into learning the Veda, most of us still attend it on weekends even though we're in our mid 20's. This makes a huge contribution to the community sense, cause I've seen both boys and girls who have attended these classes have never gone astray and are doing pretty well.

2. The most basic duty as a brahmin is this. I believe, we lose the license to be a brahmin, once we give up doing this. So, earn the license and try to maintain the license.

3. Discuss the itihasas with kids or gullible ones. I've had a fair share of fights in my office and many communists meetings over improper interpretation of the scriptures. Trust me, unless we teach our people the puranas ourselves, there is a sea of misinformation waiting on the other end waiting to hit you like a tsunami. So we need to construct the dam and protect ourselves.

4. Being a brahmin, we must live for world peace. But when people who practice some dharma is at stake, it is our duty to protect and guide them. I would say, help another human, but however, since most of the humans think tribally, other castes have their own support frameworks, in the case of brahmin, if any support is given, it gets reinterpreted with perverted meanings. So, save your community first.

5. We are here, not because of our skill, but because of our ancestors karma. I hope u agree. Cause, I can say, one of my ancestors was brutally decimated along with her family for practicing her dharma. This haunting memory runs in the family. What pains me is the fact that, many people today are completely oblivious to the pains of our ancestors. It is because of their sufferings and resilience, we have survived thus. So, we need to affirm our identity, for that you need to go to the roots.

6. Most of our priests live in penury. I agree, some are greedy and are selfish, but I personally wouldn't blame them, cause as a brahmin, I am supposed to do that, but I choose to be an engineer/doctor/say a CA for the sake of comforts. Many temples are in dilapidated condition in TN. No upkeep by the govts or any Brahman is present to volunteer. Most of the old boomers are busy changing the diapers of their grandkids. I'm sorry, this is a huge colossal mistake happening. At least the corporates outsourced their bpo jobs to India by paying us, but our elders are sitting in posh apartments and making fun of the lower category in the community, yuck!!!...such entiltememt should be condemned. Example, one of my sisters in-laws made a passing comment on the brahmins who attended their sons marriage, saying:- " Oh the beggars have arrived, give them bhiksha" . I confronted him, to which he said " what do you call people who chant mantras and earn money". To avoid creating ruckus, I walked away, but karma happened, the same old fellow now takes pride when his grandson is chanting mantras. Guess who became the beggar in the end!!.

Church fathers or maulvis are accorded respect for dedicating their lives to the religion, unless we do that to the priests here, expect nothing but contempt and ridicule.

These are my suggestions. Opinions are welcome!!.

Adding one more to this, also teach the kids or make them aware of the various philosophies in the world today like Christianity, Islam, secularism, communism, liberalism, feminism. The kids are going to get exposed these terms and will be bombarded with opinions when they reach a certain age. So, build a solid foundation yourself before they get hit with a load of ideas. Very few lucky ones(if their stars are great) will survive the onslaught of these ideas. Most fall for it. This is because we haven't taught them the difference of say, a vedic life vs the life propagated by them. So, as a Brahmin, it is imperative that we do a purvapaksha of the other philosophies rather than live in our own cuckoo world.

Research, observe, propogate. Thats the only way of gaining wisdom (Say knowledge). And thats the way forward.

Brahmins are great in knowing what to do, in teaching it to others but alas not in implementing it. We make great Gurus but not great Acáryas. Great Directors but not great Managers. I urge all those who have contributed to this thread to come together and do something. Pretty Please!!

Attachments

• 06-35-26-images.jpg
    06-35-26-images.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 133
This posting of mine may provoke few

Anyway does it matter?

I am to share the following which I read where:

A man was walking along the beach and noticed another man casting his fishing line over the end of a pier. As the first man drew closer to the fisherman, he saw that the bait bucket had no lid, and to his surprise, it was full of sea crabs crawling on top of each other. Knowing the crabs could certainly escape, the man wondered why there was no lid. He asked the fisherman, “Why isn't your bait bucket covered so the crabs won't escape?” The fisherman explained, “You need to understand that if there's a single crab in that bucket, yes, it could certainly escape. However, since there are so many if one tries to crawl out, the others grab onto it, making sure it can't escape so it will meet the same fate as the rest of them.” I don't know if crabs actually do pull each other back into the bucket, but the principle is certainly true when it comes to ..................

Latest ads

Back