• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are We Really Concerned About Our Community?????Let us do a Retrospective Analysis

The 6 principle foundations for us Brahmins are:

Satya (Truth) - Dont confuse it with "Facts". Facts can be challenged, truth can never be.
Jnana (Knowledge) - Self explanatory
Bhakti (Devotion) - To your karma and dharma
Buddimatta (Wisdom) - Use the 1st three to face any challenge without breaking down mentally or physically
Swasthya (Health) - Pranayamam and Yog daily alteast 1 hr
Samruddhi (Prosperity) - Excel in whatever you do and earn a standing in society

If all follow this no threat to our way of life. The pancha bhutas will protect us.

The 6 principle foundations for us Brahmins are:

Satya (Truth) - Dont confuse it with "Facts". Facts can be challenged, truth can never be.
Jnana (Knowledge) - Self explanatory
Bhakti (Devotion) - To your karma and dharma
Buddimatta (Wisdom) - Use the 1st three to face any challenge without breaking down mentally or physically
Swasthya (Health) - Pranayamam and Yog daily alteast 1 hr
Samruddhi (Prosperity) - Excel in whatever you do and earn a standing in society

If all follow this no threat to our way of life. The pancha bhutas will protect us.
how will u get all these.....

I think there are more people viewing this thread now and positive replies are coming in.
You may work on your plan of action and also get a clear layout and design of what you want from
community friends.you may try to incorporate these in your plan,
The question raised by one of the members is relevant,How do we meet in the covid times?
You can think about that too .May be there could be way out to go forward.

I think there are more people viewing this thread now and positive replies are coming in.
You may work on your plan of action and also get a clear layout and design of what you want from
The question raised by one of the members is relevant,How do we meet in the covid times?
Hai
Good Morning
There is no need for a personal meeting rite now..
Discipline Starts from self... I always believe in it.
As i said earlier, Already I started Few things
Nithya Karma, Nithya Pooja, Monthly once Homams, Temple Service (will be starting shortly), Teaching Kids about our values. Make them recite shlokas. (My daughter is 9 years Old and she recites Lalitha Sahasranamam fully, and with lots of other Shlokas). Thanks to my Mamiyar.
Learn Vedas. Rite now I have started learning from the CD. Looking for a Guru in my area. Once i find one..will go to him. This will retrieve the Guru shishya system..slowly but steadily.
Make The Kids participate in all the social, spiritual and our custom related activities n functions.
I always tell my Kid and my brother's Kids the stores of sages.. etc.,
Already reduced the Number of serials watched at home.. Follow more on Shankara TV, and Run Kaalashebam of guru Velukkudi Krishnan.. etc.,
These are few drops on what I have started to do..
I request members to share their efforts..
once we start sharing our experience, people will definitely try a few which they can...
I never expected an instant change... but a conviction to change.. and commit to it is what is needed to begin with.
Thanks
K ramesh

Zoom, Team, Google, Whatsup there are many platforms available.

Dear friend,
After reading the valued opinions of others, I wish to say a few words.
Brahmins are part of the Society, and we cannot isolate ourselves from the society where we live. When we look into the changes that have taken in our Society during these three
generations we will understand it better. When Brahmins left their prescribed duties of learning scriptures and priesthood, and went for serving others for monetary benefits, our families disintegrated due to migration. HUF are only in records of past. Similarly family hierarchy has gone for ever. This happened first while we vacated the villages and progressed further when our children migrated outside the country now. At one time we were particular about our pedigree called Gothram while selecting marriage partners for our children. When we look in our epics, we will find inter caste marriages are not new to our Hindu Society, but permitted under specific circumstances. The present generation may not have heard " Anuloma " or "Prathiloma" marriages.

Thus I believe we as Brahmins accepted the social change along with migration which is not possible to reverse now.

Regards,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Dear friend,
After reading the valued opinions of others, I wish to say a few words.
Brahmins are part of the Society, and we cannot isolate ourselves from the society where we live. When we look into the changes that have taken in our Society during these three
generations we will understand it better. When Brahmins left their prescribed duties of learning scriptures and priesthood, and went for serving others for monetary benefits, our families disintegrated due to migration. HUF are only in records of past. Similarly family hierarchy has gone for ever. This happened first while we vacated the villages and progressed further when our children migrated outside the country now. At one time we were particular about our pedigree called Gothram while selecting marriage partners for our children. When we look in our epics, we will find inter caste marriages are not new to our Hindu Society, but permitted under specific circumstances. The present generation may not have heard " Anuloma " or "Prathiloma" marriages.

Thus I believe we as Brahmins accepted the social change along with migration which is not possible to reverse now.

Regards,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
Good Morning
Thanks for your opinion.
Yes, in these last 3 Generations only we lost our Identity totally. Going out of the clutches and settle abroad for better earning is not a wrong thing..
But, as u said, we compromised our values just for the same of showing ourselves as one among the community.
Sir, For your information, Brahmins had a great regards from other communities, when they were doing their responsibilities properly.
We put ourselves down by stop doing all our responsibilities and disintegrate ourselves from our own nature and started living a fake life.
All consoling ourselves by saying we cannot isolate from the society.
We all forget.. Karavai Madu-- Pasu Paal Koduththa Thaan atharkku Mariyathai..... If the same Pasu tells, I have to make myself one among the other animals, so I can eat other animals means, no one will respect it, even if its in the form of Pasu..
We are in the same situation.
My only anguish is, most of the people who commented here is trying to justify their living style or compromising living, rather than come forward to put their first step towards change this situation.
Unless everyone of us take our First step towards the resurrection of our Values, (Brahmincal Values), sooner or later, we might have to go to libraries an archaeological department to know the same...

Thanks

K Ramesh

Good Morning
Thanks for your opinion.
Yes, in these last 3 Generations only we lost our Identity totally. Going out of the clutches and settle abroad for better earning is not a wrong thing..
But, as u said, we compromised our values just for the same of showing ourselves as one among the community.
Sir, For your information, Brahmins had a great regards from other communities, when they were doing their responsibilities properly.
We put ourselves down by stop doing all our responsibilities and disintegrate ourselves from our own nature and started living a fake life.
All consoling ourselves by saying we cannot isolate from the society.
We all forget.. Karavai Madu-- Pasu Paal Koduththa Thaan atharkku Mariyathai..... If the same Pasu tells, I have to make myself one among the other animals, so I can eat other animals means, no one will respect it, even if its in the form of Pasu..
We are in the same situation.
My only anguish is, most of the people who commented here is trying to justify their living style or compromising living, rather than come forward to put their first step towards change this situation.
Unless everyone of us take our First step towards the resurrection of our Values, (Brahmincal Values), sooner or later, we might have to go to libraries an archaeological department to know the same...

Thanks

K Ramesh
Dear friend,
I appreciate the frankness with which you have pursued the subject. If we contemplate further with unbiased mind, we may get the answers ourself. It is my view that all that we view, read or hear to get an answer are others' view. They are a "must" but may not be final. This I found in my search for "truth". Truth in Sanskrit "Sath" which is the same in "thought, word and deed". "Sathyam" is otherwise known as unchanging God.

आहार निद्रा भय मैथुनं च सामान्यमेतत् पशुभिर्नराणाम् ।
धर्मो हि तेषामधिको विशेष: धर्मेण हीनाः पशुभिः समानाः ॥
Eating, sleep, fear and mating, these habits are common between human beings and animals. It is Dharma ( Here Dharma Represent Knowledge not different religion / Right conduct) which is important quality of human beings, without which he is same as an animal.
In other words, in birth all living beings are endowed with the same
Qualities by nature. Each one changes according to the society in which he was born.
As you have rightly said we need not leave our values, inculcated in our "genes" for generations by simple living and high thinking.

Best wishes,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
(Many of our queries are answered by HH Sri Chandrasekhara Bharathi of Sringeri Sarada Peedam, in his lectures
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s8...NvzqbQfPYcVWNIXTeljmWMVvbTS/view?usp=drivesdk )

Last edited:
हार निद्रा भय मैथुनं च सामान्यमेतत् पशुभिर्नराणाम् ।
धर्मो हि तेषामधिको विशेष: धर्मेण हीनाः पशुभिः समानाः ॥
Yes. The principle of 'Know thyself" is highlighted. I agree with you,There is a need to restore our value system from decay and show the path to our younger generation to follow .
This is a job worth pursuing . Compromise principles are enunciated by our Acharyas ,Mahaperiyava of Kanchi and Sringeri It is our good fortune they are there with us.
I t is for us to make it a movement for Janakalyan.

Thanks for your reply.
I dont know how many members are there in this group
I see atlease 500 people read this message
only 2 or 3 react and reply..
Moreover, All are concerned about the Socio-Economic Factor than a Community Value.
No one wants to even come forward and discuss.
If the same message was flashed in a christian or Islamic community forum.. every other member would have actively participated.
People always think, If i'm in India I can do this..In fact once upon a time, when I was live abroad, I was also thinking the same way.
After I come back to India, I realized I was wrong.
People are not making an effort just because they are afraid of any social anger..
Or
They just want to carry on with their life..
No one realizes that we have lost so much.
waking up early is the first thing... Not there with 80% of the Brahmins
Nithya Karma-90% don't follow (Kaanamal/Konamal/Kandu)
Pooja-Homan etc., at least once a month... 80% don't follow
Self-learning Veda- Teaching Veda to their Kids.. Make them recite in the temples and functions-60% dont follow..
aachaaram-anushtanam-90% don't follow
Echchal, Theettu.. i would say 90% don't follow
Prayatchchiththam- 95% don't follow
Sradham/Tharpppanam-50% of the people don't follow
Visiting Temple with kids/Brothers/Sisters- 95% don't follow
Reading the scriptures and explain to next Generation- 95% don't follow.
And All will say either they do it or they don't have time or they don't believe in it.
The Whole society was intact-when Brahmin Community was performing their duties properly.....
Because we were teaching the other sections in the society what is right and what is wrong..
As soon as we shy away from our responsibilities... others started teaching the wrong this in the society.
"THALAI SARIAY IRUNDHA THAANE VAAL SARIYA IRUKKUM"
Naama thaan " THALAI"..
I didn't tell anything with is not possible..
Already I have started in my family..
telling this to my nears and dears..
But only when this becomes a community movement... we can see a change.. not only in our own community.. but also in the society.
Thanks
K Ramesh

We can have our opinions and lifestyle.
Why should others follow the steps you outlined?
What us there for me? Or the community?
Amish Style life is not for everyone.

Everyone is free to live the way they like.
And I never asked anyone to follow my steps.
Im talking about my Community where we still find so many needy and we wanted to revive our way of living.. which cannot be understood by Any "Amish".
So, u be what you are... No one bothers and no one will question..
Thanks

K Ramesh

Last edited:

hi

but Amish style still surviving in pennsylvania.....still sucessfulll for some...may not be for everyone..

like agraharam life is not for everyone....still its part of community survival..

I t is for us to make it a movement for Janakalyan
Unquote
Please look into my old thread

hi

but Amish style still surviving in pennsylvania.....still sucessfulll for some...may not be for everyone..
like agraharam life is not for everyone....still its part of community survival..

Dear Sri tbs,
Your comments inspired me to know more about the life style of this unique community Amish, about which Sri Prasad has also mentioned in his message.
"Amish believe that God has called them to a simple life of faith, discipline, dedication and humility. They believe that the Amish religion should be practiced, not displayed, and translated into daily living rather than focused on tangible symbols or complicated religious rituals. Their belief is that God has a personal and abiding interest in their lives, families and communities is the force that holds them together in spite of the pressures of the outside world."
What a wonderful concept !
Our previous generations of Brahmins led a simple life in Agraharams spending their life in studies and religious activities, without concern for earning. But times have changed and to look back is futile.
Now there are attempts by builders to build Agraharam style of retirement homes for the community in South mainly around Coimbatore and Palakkad.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri tbs,
Your comments inspired me to know more about the life style of this unique community Amish, about which Sri Prasad has also mentioned in his message.
"Amish believe that God has called them to a simple life of faith, discipline, dedication and humility. They believe that the Amish religion should be practiced, not displayed, and translated into daily living rather than focused on tangible symbols or complicated religious rituals. Their belief is that God has a personal and abiding interest in their lives, families and communities is the force that holds them together in spite of the pressures of the outside world."
What a wonderful concept !
Our previous generations of Brahmins led a simple life in Agraharams spending their life in studies and religious activities, without concern for earning. But times have changed and to look back is futile.
Now there are attempts by builders to build Agraharam style of retirement homes for the community in South mainly around Coimbatore and Palakkad.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
hi

i visited this place some time back....without electricity and mobile phones are banned in Amish village..

ppl still living there...they live in natural organic way....as their ancestors from dutch immigrants..

instead of asking every one to be the same encourage diversity..everyone is born differently and will live and die differently...a garden must have different types of flowers....else will become monotonous....6 Core Principles are essential which I mentioned earlier but other dimensions of life have to be diverse...nature likes diversity...right from single celled organisms to galaxies u see so much diversity....then how can humans be of only one kind...

Similar Community named "Navadarshanam" is there near Bangalore on the borders of Tamil Nadu, near Thali. I have copied the following details from their brochure.

"Navadarshanam is a small community founded in 1990, located in rural Tamil Nadu adjoining a reserve forest about 50km from Bangalore. We have been exploring alternatives to the modern way of living and thinking, seeking both ecological balance and inner peace. We have experimented in the areas of eco-restoration and wilderness preservation, alternative energy, sustainable organic farming, water harvesting, health and healing as well as in promoting healthier and traditional foods.

We have also helped create and continue to guide the activities of a food initiative operated by the villagers that offers organic, wholesome food choices to urban consumers while supporting rural livelihoods and preserving traditional skills and farming ecosystems."

I used to visit this place many times to attend their annual meets previously. Its a semi forest area.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

hi

OK, yes they are surviving.
But let us ask our children. How many of them are willing to settle for that lifestyle.
No-one stopped us from becoming a hermit, and that is exactly what our ancestors did.

livelihoods and preserving traditional skills
Unquote
From wiki
Mattur and Hosahalli are known for their efforts to support Gamaka art, which is a unique form of singing and storytelling in Karnataka. These are two of the very rare villages in India where Sanskrit is spoken as a regional language. Sanskrit is the main language of a majority of the 5,000 residents of this village situated around 8 km from Shimoga.

Tami brahmins are individualisticwith no community lotalty. Have no ideals and no empathy with the next man. Won't take part in anything which has no element of self interest. Always trying to pull down the next man. Ready give up everything traditions culture, language for advancement.

hi

I seriously dont mind an Amish life style!
It would be a welcome break from this over-digital world.
Children these days do not even get fascinated by anything natural.

I have a quite a tall Henna tree in my house and some other wild flower creepers hang from it too so beautifully and when it rains the whole tree gets weighed down by the water droplets and bends like a umbrella and I was showing it to 2kids who came to my house and i told them stand under the tree and i will shake it and fragrant water droplets would fall on us.

I was the only idiot who stood under the tree enjoying the water shower singing "raindrops keep falling on my head" silently in my mind at the same time BUT the kids just looked at each other asking me? is this what you wanted to show us?

They didnt feel anything!

livelihoods and preserving traditional skills
Unquote
From wiki
Mattur and Hosahalli are known for their efforts to support Gamaka art, which is a unique form of singing and storytelling in Karnataka. These are two of the very rare villages in India where Sanskrit is spoken as a regional language. Sanskrit is the main language of a majority of the 5,000 residents of this village situated around 8 km from Shimoga.

I speak Sanskrit too and I am teaching it to my students who can cope.
I also translate phrase books to Sanskrit to teach my students practical day to day spoken sanskrit.
Its really fun to speak it.
I understand its not widely spoken but practice makes perfect.

I guess we humans can preserve any part of culture we want and we need not attach a community or a caste tag to it.

I sometimes follow other cultures too which I feel is beneficial.
So let's have a global outlook after all the entire world is one family.
If we are rigid we never evolve.

Tami brahmins are individualisticwith no community lotalty. Have no ideals and no empathy with the next man. Won't take part in anything which has no element of self interest. Always trying to pull down the next man. Ready give up everything traditions culture, language for advancement.

I agree with you. We are individualistic so do not participate in a group activity.
But to post in this forum may be too harsh.

Latest ads

Back