• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are we getting extinct? What is the contribution of movies towards that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri Kalyankumar,
post #173 and #174 are well written. Those who are well intended will see the spirit behind your reply.

I liked your paraphrasing:
Non-true brahmins dont make them feel guilty, but true brahmins do, so they have to put down true brahmins so that they dont feel guilty.
Cant agree with you more. The loud rantings we hear are from the non-true brahmins who are a ridicule to the NBs and to enhance their mass they try crying wolf at the B's shoulder with the faint hope that their tribe will increase and they can be the leader of this misguided group.

Dear Sri Kalyankumar,
post #173 and #174 are well written. Those who are well intended will see the spirit behind your reply.

I liked your paraphrasing:

Cant agree with you more. The loud rantings we hear are from the non-true brahmins who are a ridicule to the NBs and to enhance their mass they try crying wolf at the B's shoulder with the faint hope that their tribe will increase and they can be the leader of this misguided group.

Shri ozone,

I should normally have added 'sir' after your moniker but somehow 'ozone sir' looks not alright. So, kindly excuse me, I have the highest respect for you.

Regarding you above post, may I say that some of the learned members here have come to the conclusion that whatever brAhmaNas do as their traditional customs are all ridiculous, that brahmins have a lot of superiority complex and those members are even atheistic. In my view, this has come about because these brahmin members were suddenly uprooted from their traditional surroundings and for various reasons they have had to get adjusted to alien or foreign cultures without which they would not be able to live peacefully in those foreign countries. In the process of such adjustments, some have completely discarded their brahmin identity while some others may be retaining some or most of their brahmin traditions and beliefs.

Let us sympathise with them and say that we will continue to stick to whatever gives us mental peace, irrespective of the logical or illogical aspect.

We should also not lose sight of the fact that tamil brahmins of India progressively get increasingly westernized and this is now considered by them as one measure of their affluence. These people also discard many customs and rites and flaunt their western ways of life. So, degeneration of brahmins is happening right here in our land itself.

A billion souls believe in yuga concept and some do come out with dates like 2500 BCE for krishna's birth or the mahabharata war. The deduced dates keep changing every year as the references used for estimation get shifted by some other event. Wise souls will not and need not throw away the puranic dates just because new computed dates are thrown about with embedded assumptions.
My dear brother sarang, you really think a billion people buy into yuga concept? I have a feeling this is an absurdly preposterous overestimate. How many have even heard of Yugas is an open question. My guess is, if you go to a village, where most Indians live, most people will answer they have no idea what a Yuga is.

When it comes to beliefs there is no end to credulity of believing people. There are very many religious and believing people, you know, those who believe in the authenticity of Puranas, who may also believe the earth is held aloft by ashta-dig-gajas, is this not part of Hindu belief?

To those who want to cite Puranas as evidence for dates, let me now cite a small passage from an imminent person well respected in India. I am sure some people will be able to guess who the author was.

"In ancient times there was very little tendency in our country to find out truths by historical research. So any one could say what he thought best without substantiating it with proper facts and evidence. Another thing: in those ancient times there was very little hankering after name and fame in men. So it often happened that one man composed a book and made it pass current in the name of his Guru or of someone else. In such cases it is very hazardous for the investigator of historical facts to get at the truth. In ancient times they had no knowledge whatever of geography; imagination ran riot. And so we meet with such fantastic creations of the brain as sweet-ocean, milk-ocean, clarified-butter-ocean, curd-ocean, etc!
"

You may believe in whatever date that you like, but authentic dating through scientific process is the only way to correctly understand our history to the extent possible. This is not an easy task. Painful data gathering and careful analysis is needed. Even if this process does not produce precise dates, they are surely much more reliable than claims of lakhs and lakhs of years based on some puranas.

This kind of scientific analysis shows that the earliest human-like population in the Indian subcontinent is no more than 70,000 years ago. The paleolithic period lasted up until about circa 7000 BCE. These are from scientific analysis of cave painting and archeological sites.

Pinpointing exact dates for civilizations that existed in India 3000 to 4000 years ago is especially hard given our forefathers were very poor in putting things in writing, and even what they wrote down was routinely contaminated by interpolations. But, there is enough secondary evidence to triangulate these dates to a range. Through this type of meticulous scientific analysis we now have broad consensus among the scholars that Vedic period came after IVC and the back end of the start of this period is no earlier than circa 3000 BCE.

Now, you may want to believe in whatever you want to believe. In as much as such beliefs go squarely against the rational analysis they must be classified as superstitions, I know people don't like this word, but only this word properly describes the beliefs that flies in the face of irrefutable scientific consensus.

One thing is certain; brahmins will survive and will ensure survival and continuance of brahminical traditions. They have survived in the past despite persecution from several fronts. They know how to fit their traditions in a changing world.
Lot of people have been certain of lot of things, sooner or later many had to regret such cockiness. Your assertion of past persecution is curious, somewhat like the audacity of appealing for clemency on the basis of being an orphan after killing one's parents :)!!

Verbal attacks of brahmins may give one mental satisfaction, but will only earn revulsion from brahmins and non brahmins alike.
This is an unfair and unfounded accusation. What verbal attacks are you talking about? Please don't throw around mud like this.

Cheers!

Every opinion based on scientific criticism I welcome. As to prejudices .. to which I have never made concessions ... “Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti.” -- Karl Marx

...I know you think what you call as 'Brahminism' is the source of all evil in Hinduism; it is your right to believe that.
Brother KRS, these are your words, not mine. I do believe Brahminism is a supremacist ideology and the sooner it exists only in the history books the better it is for everyone, particularly to Brahmins, but I certainly do not beleive it is the source of all evil in Hindusim.

But don't you think that you are harsh when you call a whole group of people's religious practices as superstitious and lunacy?
Lunacy perhaps, I have edited it out, but I think "superstition" is a word that is not inappropriate. I would like to be able to use it when necessary. I will try to be sparing in its use.

Cheers!

Every opinion based on scientific criticism I welcome. As to prejudices .. to which I have never made concessions ... “Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti.” -- Karl Marx

.... The loud rantings we hear are from the non-true brahmins who are a ridicule to the NBs and to enhance their mass they try crying wolf at the B's shoulder with the faint hope that their tribe will increase and they can be the leader of this misguided group.

ozone, what are you talking about? What "loud ranting" do you hear? If you want to argue with me I invite you to be bold enough and direct your comments to me. If not, hold your peace. Cowardly displays of innuendo is tiresome.

Cheers!

Dear Shri kalyankumar, Greetings!

Thank you for your thoughtful response. In my previous exchanges with other interlocutors, by this time many a nasty invectives would be have been thrown at me like Brahmin Hater, etc. I appreciate the fact you have spared me of such torments.

I know I am in the minority here, with the departures of some stalwarts I am probably a minority of ONE now. So I don't expect to win popularity contest here, but not being subjected to abuses is all I ask for.

You have eloquently described a vision of vedic principle, life, but I am afraid it is highly romanticized. The reality that can be gleaned from some of the texts from those times paint a very different picture. I have presented these evidences in the past. We have had protracted discussions as well. So, with some trepidation that I may be charged with grinding the same batter again (அரைச்ச மாவையே அரைக்கிறான்), I venture to restate some of them.

[1] Case of Satyakama Jabala
This occurs during the Upanishad period. Some may contest only poorva mimamsa is Vedic culture and the ideas expressed in the Upanishads is a rejection of traditional Vedic period. But I don't want to get into that debate at this point.

In this story, Jabala forthrightly says she had to pleasure many visitors and therefore can't be sure who the father is. Her honesty is praiseworthy. Sathyakama shows equally praiseworthy honesty by stating clearly what his birth status is to Gautama. Gautama acted honorably too by accepting him as his pupil.

Then what is the problem you may ask. The problem is, Satyakama knew he would be asked who his father was, and Gautama did. This clearly shows interest in study is not the criterion for admission, birth status is. This may not be a problem for you as you support such segregation, but this is part of the sore I was talking about, one that you can't see but those who are not Brahmins see all too clearly.

But, there is another point to take into account. Gautama says only a Brahmana will tell the truth and therefore you must be a child of a Brahmana. This is as obnoxious as it can get on at least couple of levels. Being truthful is supposed to be a samanya dharma, nothing special to Brahmana, yet there is this usurpation of the character of truthfulness to just Brahmanas. Secondly, if the boy's father was adjudged a Brahmin, then this Brahmana certainly availed of the services of Jabala and then abandoned her. What kind of a Brahmana was he?

[2] Nastika and non-Vedanta mathams
The vedic period was not all that tranquil with all varnas peacefully living in harmony. There were several doctrinal challenges to poorvamimamsa. Among those Buddha and Jaina are the most prominent and still extant. Charvaka was another who were most likely brutally suppressed to the extent only caricatured fragments of their writings are available, that too as poorvapaksha by Vedantins who have every incentive to portray them in as poor a light as they can, and they did. Kapila's Samkhya is another example, a system that did not recognize a supernatural being. So, the Vedic period is not one in which unanimity of thought was prevalent.

A case can be made that the uttaramimamsa was a reaction to the criticisms against poorva-mimamsa. Then the religion of Vedantam itself is an essential acceptance of the rejection of Vedic doctrine.

[3] Treatment of lower varnas
Ramarajyam is supposed to be a time of true vedic life with dharma all over. Yet, a Shudra wanted to study the Vedas and had to be killed. What is the meaning of this? Whether this actually took place or not, the author who inserted this story was sending a message to the Shudras of that time. What was the need to send such a message? Obviously, during a time when Brahmanas held sway the Shudras happily accepted their station as servants is a fiction.

There are many more, I am not even citing any Dharmashastras.

So, the reality as may be gleaned from these paints a very different picture than the romanticized one you present.

...Contemporarily, I think the minimum qualities of braahmana are ...
The qualities you cite are fictional, not even the great Vedic rishis like Viswamithra the giver of Gayatri or Dhurwasa lived up to it according to even the fictional accounts.

I think varna system in "its entirely" is obsolete and all said and done, it was a system put forth by vedas for enabling society to perform various duties and yet align the duties to ones nature so that one can progress spiritually. Truly this was the intent of the system.
Once again, there is evidence to show such matching of innate nature to duties was mere fiction. The Brahmanas were primarily interested in collecting as high a dhaksina as possible for the ritual services they offered. Shri Sangom had written a lot about these Vedic Brahmanas.

Same way, a person born as shudra was to be performing physical labour through which to elevate oneself towards the moksham.
Moksham is not a Vedic concept, it is Vedantic concept. Leaving that aside, to say that physical labor elevates Shudras reveals why what I said about Brahmins not being able to see the ugly sore in the face of Brahminism is so true. This is a tragedy.

We need to understand why the varna system was an excellent system. ... Same holds for choice of job, choice of partner, choice of lifestyle - every one is unsure, unhappy about choices made, often blaming others & surroundings for ones unhappiness.
So, not having a choice makes this Varna system an excellent system. This is well and good if you are Brahmana male, for everyone else this is the most obnoxious aspect of Varna system.

Anyway, please read Annihilation of Caste by Babasaheb B.R. Ambedkar for a critical analysis of Varna system and why it must be annihilated from the face of the earth. Try to answer his questions if you can, Gandhi tried, but failed miserably.

So, if there is a choice of such a rule and society to come back again, well I would vote for it. .... But the braahmana's dharma cannot be done by others due to various stipulations. We cant argue this, as the pramaana here is only vedas and it is only driven by our 'shraddhaa' that we make this statement - 'why' for this question cannot be answered in any other way. But, if doing other varnaa's job will elevate one towards moksha is a question possibly difficult to answer.
Why others cannot do the Brahmana's dharma? Don't ask, that is just the way it is because Vedas say so? This is what Brhamnical Supremacy is all about, the sore you just can't see but very well visible to all others.

Alright, please tell me where in Vedas proper, not Dharmashasthras, it is said that others are not stipulated to do Brahmana's dharma?

Besides, what you are saying directly contradicts what Lord Sri Krishna says in Srimat BG. Did he not say it is better to do one's own dharma badly than to do others dharma excellently? So, to say a Shudra's dharma can be done by anybody, but a Brahmana's dharma only a Brahmana can do, is not only very conveniently hypocritical, but goes against your own BG.

...My own friend's grandfather, who was a vaideeka, was travelling in a train and was doing his sandhya in a tap at vizhuppuram railway station when the train was halting. Periyar, who was in the I class compartment, stepped out and prostrated to the vaideeka and said, '
It seems this is at best a second hand information, very hard to verify its authenticity.

If it is true, then Suraju, sarang and others who routinely call EVR by a range of choice epithets like goon and Brahmin hater, etc., have something to think about.

However, the point I want to make is this, "vaideeka" doing sandhya in a water tap? During that time "true" Vaideekas didn't even travel in trains or buses, where they have to come into contact with ordinary folks, you know avoiding "mixing" thing. So, with due respects, this Vaideeka obviously didn't mind relaxing that rule.

Further, even today true Vaideekas, who have taken to even flying, do not consume tap water. So, this Vaideeka may have been seen by his contemporaries as someone not living up to the standards. This is reality, talk of a past glorious time when people lived by Vedic principles and rules, whatever they may be, is nothing but myth.

So, in my view, it is brahmins' own perception that NBs perceive true brahmins as 'ugly sore', but reality is different, check it out in all earnest, you will find out the truth.
You mistake deference to acceptance. Yes, people hate hypocrisy more. They have less respect for a secular Brahmana living a modern lifestyle suddenly masquerading as a Brahmana when it is convenient to him -- they may think, look at this hypocrite, he thinks he is great, but just putting on an act. When they see a Brahmana who takes the trouble that comes along with Brahmin lifestyle, they have respect for the man's sincerity, i.e. his effort to avoid being hypocritical.

But, this does not mean they acquiesce to the ideology of Brahminism. If you tell them half of what you have written here, like genetics, diamond, shudras are born for physical labor, etc., you will see what I mean, even if you are attired like a pacca vaideeka.

Look at the youngsters who have tasted carnatic music, and those who have developed taste for vedic chanting etc.
You are conflating cultural aspects like music and dancing with Vedic life. You do this at your own peril. How many kids do sandhyavandnam after upanayanam, which is the most important Vedic ritual? If the interest of the youngsters is in Vedic rituals you ought to see the opposite of what we see -- i.e. youngsters clamoring to do 3 times sandhya. But the reality is, the young boy, if cajoled, will do it for a week or two, if that.

As these youngsters get older, meeting a wide variety of people, reading a variety of books, getting exposed to a wide range of ideas, increasingly reject the archaic, anachronistic and mostly fictional notion of Vedic life.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sri.Kalyankumar, Greetings.

...I think minimum of one varna has to survive, because that is one duty that cannot be done by others. Shudra's job can be done by any varna, kshatriya's job has become more of intellectual job these days & the arms are all rockets etc so can be done by anyone, vaishya's job can be done by anyone. But the braahmana's dharma cannot be done by others due to various stipulations. We cant argue this,...

Sri Kalyankumar seems to have forgotten the basics here. (I don't support varna classifications, that's beside the point). Again and again Sri.Kalyankumar takes the stance of 'birth based capabilities'. How do we know a Harijan cannot perform Sandhyavandhanam, or can not conduct poojas efficiently in a temple? What special qualifications is required? Anyone can learn anything if they put their mind in it and if they are given the opportunity. I am watching the melechcha white persons chanting slokams and Gita in sanskrit, and explain that too. They perform sandhyavandhanam, they perform Gayatri Japam and what's more, they perform all the 6 'duties' stipulated for 'brahmanas'.

Brahmana Dharma can be performed by anyone with inclination and training. I have given the example. Not just one, but in thousands.... Can we argue this?

Cheers!

..I think minimum of one varna has to survive, because that is one duty that cannot be done by others. Shudra's job can be done by any varna, kshatriya's job has become more of intellectual job these days & the arms are all rockets etc so can be done by anyone, vaishya's job can be done by anyone. But the braahmana's dharma cannot be done by others due to various stipulations. We cant argue this,...

Dear Kalyan,

I disagree with you here..I will give you a simple example.
Long ago back in time women were considered dull witted and low IQ and not allowed to read and write.
It was assumed that they wont be able to grasp anything due to the fact that they are females.

Do we still feel that women are low IQ,dull witted etc?

Its just as simple as this..if we do not attempt or give anyone a chance we will never know their potential.

I am not a Brahmin by birth but I didnt find self studying sanskrit with no guru a difficult task.I studied it day and night without fail.I put in all the effort it needed (please dont think I am bragging...I am just giving an example that even a Non Brahmin can study Sanskrit and show interest in Religion)

I fully agree with what Raghy Ji wrote.
Just take a trip to Puttaparthi and hear the Non Indians chant and recite Vedic mantras and they fully understand the meaning.

Last edited:
Long ago back in time women were considered dull witted and low IQ and not allowed to read and write.
It was assumed that they wont be able to grasp anything due to the fact that they are females.

I am surprised to read the quoted text coming from you. Are there any express passages in scriptures (here as scriptures I consider vedas and BG, and not purAnAs - because there are many claims and counter-claims regarding interpolations and deletions in purANAs) that brings out the inference, especially "women have low IQ, dull witted etc"? If yes, please give details.

But there are express passages in vedas emanating from gArgi, maitreyi etc. which puts to rest that your inference is rather flawed. All I can infer is that there were conflicting situations prevailing, which have to be reconciled to know the truth.

You have also stated that "long ago back in time women were not allowed to read and write". How do you define "long ago" here? To the best of my knowledge writing was unknown before "sutra period" which is said to be approx 500 BC by indologists. So for the period prior to that, there was no reading or writing for anyone, male or female.

Just for your information, the rishika of "ambrAni suktha" is a woman. This suktha is from rig veda and forms one of the oldest compositions.

Kalyankumar used the word "stipulations". Unless this word is understood, the argument for or against will not lead us anywhere.

krishna says, doing swadharma is preferable to others' dharma.

Using a citizenship analogy, I used in a different thread; for an outsider, it is difficult to become the citizen of another country. But children of a citizen are automatically granted citizenship. By qualifications, education, iq, I may be fit in the top quartile of american population; still I cannot become an american citizen automatically.

I view the varna issue the same way; some argue that it is birth based and some others guna/karma based. There are case studies from puranas to support both views. In those days, kings could and did use their authority to change the varnas and jatis of their subjects. Perhaps today also the hindu dharma acharya sabha, which is represented by over 300 sects (not the right word) can formulate a method, ceremony for such initiation.

What is perhaps not understood is - learning or singing by all varnas is not the issue; only brahmins have taken up the preservation and perpetuation of the scriptures by unbroken oral tradition. This cannot be disputed.

Girls were never considered weak; even the british records on education show that girls had school based or home based education. They were on a par with boys as far as non-vedic education is concerned. We must revisit bharat of pre british days to get a proper perspective of all issues which we criticise now.

Dear Kalyan,

I disagree with you here..I will give you a simple example.

Its just as simple as this..if we do not attempt or give anyone a chance we will never know their potential.

I am not a Brahmin by birth but I didnt find self studying sanskrit with no guru a difficult task.I studied it day and night without fail.I put in all the effort it needed (please dont think I am bragging...I am just giving an example that even a Non Brahmin can study Sanskrit and show interest in Religion)

I fully agree with what Raghy Ji wrote.
Just take a trip to Puttaparthi and hear the Non Indians chant and recite Vedic mantras and they fully understand the meaning.

Are we getting extinct?

When I look into the erudition and knowledge of the participants, knowing fully of my limitations, I enter this thread with utmost reluctance. To begin with I admit I am a Brahmin by birth only, and I do not posses any other attributes or qualification of the varna supposed to have. When I bow before the elders and chant "Abhivadaye", knowingly I tell a lie, since I have not undergone study of yajus-sakha, neither I follow tenets of Apasthamba Sutra. This is true with most of the present day Brahmins. Let us be honest. How many of us have undergone Vedic Studies and understood what vedas say? Very, very few indeed. Compulsions of change in Society has changed the life-style of Brahmins, especially during the past three or four generations. We have left almost all the "sadaacharas and sambrathaayas" to be followed By Brahmins, one after other for some reason or other, mostly due to economic compulsions of the changing world. Varnasrama has no relevance in the today's Changing Hindu Society. In the circumstances sticking on to exclusiveness of Brahmin community is not wise. We are a part of changing society and we should integrate into it fully. When we look at changes that take place in the present day Hindu Society, I am happy that the present generation of youngsters in the community adopted well to the changes. Look at the changes in our language, dress, food habits,cooking, mode of living, marriage and bringing-up of children that has taken place in recent years. We are not the same Brahmins of yesteryear's. It is wonderful to see that our women folk are getting educated and compete with the menfolk in every field.

I fully agree that we should continue to maintain our cultural heritage with proper changes to the needs of present day world. It does not mean that we should live the past always. Affluent in the Brahmin Society should join other Hindu communities to preserve our culture (or what ever left) by supporting "Veda, Agama and sirpakala Padasalas". We should never forget the yeoman support given by Nagarathaar and Mudali Communities to run the Veda Padasalas and maintenance of our Temples in the absence of Hindu ruling communities.

We should upgrade the studies in Padasalas to fulfill the needs of modern requirements. I have known that some Veda Padasalas in Karnataka train the students in Computer studies, modern Languages and Vedic Mathematics in addition to imparting Vedas. The students should be assured of basic necessities in life and comfortable future.

Brahmins, were and are integral part of Hindu Society and will continue so, for generations to come as long as the Hindu Dharma is accepted by humanity.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Brahmanyan Sir,

Took words right out of my mouth, but in a much, much more eloquent way.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Shri kalyankumar, Greetings!

[1] Case of Satyakama Jabala
This occurs during the Upanishad period. Some may contest only poorva mimamsa is Vedic culture and the ideas expressed in the Upanishads is a rejection of traditional Vedic period. But I don't want to get into that debate at this point.

Here you have to take the position and state clearly whether you consider upaniSad period also as traditional vedic period or not. You just cannot stand at the boundry line and depending upon how the discussion proceeds shift your stand from one position to another.

Being truthful is supposed to be a samanya dharma

Here we are discussing about the situation as obtaining in upaniSads, hence vedas. Where is the concept of "samanya dharma" in vedas? Can you quote some references? Thanks.
Charvaka was another who were most likely brutally suppressed

For discussions to be objective, your impressions that Charavaks were most likely brutally supressed does not mean anything. What historical records can you cite in support of your impressions?
to the extent only caricatured fragments of their writings are available, that too as poorvapaksha by Vedantins who have every incentive to portray them in as poor a light as they can, and they did.

You are free to hold on to your opinions as you like. But it does not mean anything substantial. If you did not know, "tittri" is a bird that consumed the vomit of sage yajnavalkya and thus formed taittiriya shAkA of yajurveda. Neither the vedic people nor the taittiriyas have shown any resentment to such a legend.

Sage Dirghatamas is the "dhrishta" of Asya Vamasya sukam of Rig veda. An etymological analysis of the name would translate his name as "long/sustained darkness/ignorance". But the vedic people did not consider it as derogatory. There is no purpose in imposing current day prejudice on the vedic people for caricaturing or writing.

A case can be made that the uttaramimamsa was a reaction to the criticisms against poorva-mimamsa. Then the religion of Vedantam itself is an essential acceptance of the rejection of Vedic doctrine.

Make out the case and we can see where discussions go from there.

The Brahmanas were primarily interested in collecting as high a dhaksina as possible for the ritual services they offered. Shri Sangom had written a lot about these Vedic Brahmanas.

You arrive at strange conclusions. Please give me historical accounts or evidences that brahmanas indeed received the high dakshinaus. What they demanded is immaterial, what they received is pertinent to the point. Please give historical account and not what vedas claim, as because according to you vedas are fictional. Quoting fiction to prove a reality is a no-no.

Moksham is not a Vedic concept, it is Vedantic concept.

First of all decide whether upaniSads are vedic or not. We can take up the discussion after your stand is clarified.

It seems this is at best a second hand information, very hard to verify its authenticity.

Your conclusions are very strange. You abhor second hand information, but ferret out what you consider as "fiction" as "evidence" in support of brahminism as you put it.

If it is true, then Suraju, sarang and others who routinely call EVR by a range of choice epithets like goon and Brahmin hater, etc., have something to think about.

Strictly from logical point of view, why should they? Arent you the one who has been giving out the reason that one's personal experience should not be generalised?

How many kids do sandhyavandnam after upanayanam, which is the most important Vedic ritual?

Who told you that sandhyavandanam is the most important vedic ritual? Please quote the specific authority. I did not find anywhere in vedas that Vishwamitra (the dhrshta of gayatri mantram) performed sandhyavandanam. You have stated with authority that it is a vedic ritual, hence my question.

Regards,

Every opinion based on scientific criticism I welcome. As to prejudices .. to which I have never made concessions ... “Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti.” -- Karl Marx[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Good post, sir. As the kings do not offer protection these days, self defense is necessary.

Brahmins, were and are integral part of Hindu Society and will continue so, for generations to come as long as the Hindu Dharma is accepted by humanity.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Those days, women were not allowed to go to Schools/Colleges for social
reasons. Only because of that, they had no opportunity to have an access
to education. Further, they were stopped from receiving education because
of the Head of the Family - an Old Man in a family and in our Society. They
never refused to go to Schools or learn things of their choice. Only after
some revolution like Women Rights Convention, etc, reformation took place.
Now a days they have many social supporting organizations to protect their
interests.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I am surprised to read the quoted text coming from you. Are there any express passages in scriptures (here as scriptures I consider vedas and BG, and not purAnAs - because there are many claims and counter-claims regarding interpolations and deletions in purANAs) that brings out the inference, especially "women have low IQ, dull witted etc"? If yes, please give details.

But there are express passages in vedas emanating from gArgi, maitreyi etc. which puts to rest that your inference is rather flawed. All I can infer is that there were conflicting situations prevailing, which have to be reconciled to know the truth.

You have also stated that "long ago back in time women were not allowed to read and write". How do you define "long ago" here? To the best of my knowledge writing was unknown before "sutra period" which is said to be approx 500 BC by indologists. So for the period prior to that, there was no reading or writing for anyone, male or female.

Just for your information, the rishika of "ambrAni suktha" is a woman. This suktha is from rig veda and forms one of the oldest compositions.

dear Zebra Ji,

I thought what I wrote was quiet clear..what I meant is many considered women dull witted and denied them education but when equal opportunity was given to woman they have even proved that they are not lesser than a male in terms of IQ.

Zebra Ji..when I wrote that I didnt have any scriptural evidence in mind but I was just commenting upon the general perception of people in the yesteryears.

In scriptures I have yet to read about women being dull witted etc but most commentaries by some swamijis have stated the direct opposite and I used to wonder how they came to that conclusion that woman are less intelligent.

I once attended a religious talk where a learned person was saying that woman are less trustworthy and hence should not be fully trusted.
He was reading out a passage from a very popular book and its commentary.

I was wondering if a woman is less trustworthy how come all of us believe her when she says who our father is?
I asked the speaker that and he gave no answer to me.

Last edited:
I have read the discussions, with Shri Nara sir on one side, and others on the opposite side.

As a layman, and a conservative brAhmaNan, what confuses me is "what is it that Shri Nara wants the brahmins (the Tamil brahmins in this case) to do or what does he desire should happen to them?

Assuming that the Tamil Brahmins are just a herd of donkeys or even worse, and some out of that herd have become different animals because they do not eat paper any longer or bray at all, etc., is it necessary that the rest will also stand to benefit by imitating their (reformation) ways?

Looking at it from another angle, is not there at least a cultural value for a modern society to preserve the customs, beliefs, value systems, rites, festivities, etc., of a group of people which is disappearing into the ocean of the so-called modern (secular is the current fashion, I suppose) world? I know the GOI is spending a good lot of money to resurrect the living style of some Adivasi tribes/groups in the Western Ghats mountains, who are nearly extinct, as also some of the Andaman/Nicobar tribes. So, is it not cruel to bring down the entire tamil brahmin culture, beliefs, lifestyle, etc., just by deriding those?
What harm has this tabra community done to the rest of India? May be the caste system had its own defects, but all the castes were living in at least apparent harmony in those days and ideas of universal equality had not been practised even among European Manors and serfs, cottagers, etc., and this classification, to the best of my understanding.

When the lower castes started demanding equality, hardly did the brahmins object, but, on the contrary some of the brahmins were in the vanguard of the fight for such equality; the Namboodiris of Kerala is a good example.

I am sad that our tabra community is changing (for the worse, according to me) in the following words of Shri Brahmanyan sir:

Compulsions of change in Society has changed the life-style of Brahmins, especially during the past three or four generations. We have left almost all the "sadaacharas and sambrathaayas" to be followed By Brahmins, one after other for some reason or other, mostly due to economic compulsions of the changing world. Varnasrama has no relevance in the today's Changing Hindu Society. In the circumstances sticking on to exclusiveness of Brahmin community is not wise. We are a part of changing society and we should integrate into it fully. When we look at changes that take place in the present day Hindu Society, I am happy that the present generation of youngsters in the community adopted well to the changes. Look at the changes in our language, dress, food habits,cooking, mode of living, marriage and bringing-up of children that has taken place in recent years. We are not the same Brahmins of yesteryear's. It is wonderful to see that our women folk are getting educated and compete with the menfolk in every field.

I find him lamenting about our having discarded all the "sadaacharas and sambrathaayas" at one moment and exulting later, in the very same paragraph about
"Look at the changes in our language, dress, food habits,cooking, mode of living, marriage and bringing-up of children that has taken place in recent years. We are not the same Brahmins of yesteryear's. It is wonderful to see that our women folk are getting educated and compete with the menfolk in every field." I think it is such duality of views which has harmed our community most, not orthodox ideas.

I view the varna issue the same way; some argue that it is birth based and some others guna/karma based. There are case studies from puranas to support both views. In those days, kings could and did use their authority to change the varnas and jatis of their subjects. Perhaps today also the hindu dharma acharya sabha, which is represented by over 300 sects (not the right word) can formulate a method, ceremony for such initiation.

What is perhaps not understood is - learning or singing by all varnas is not the issue; only brahmins have taken up the preservation and perpetuation of the scriptures by unbroken oral tradition. This cannot be disputed.

Dear Sarang Ji,

I have no problems if Varna is a birth right..thats fine with me.
I do agree with you that the Brahmins have preserved the scriptures by unbroken oral tradition.
That I do not deny too.

But what I want to say is Varna can be a birth right but Jnana(Knowledge) is not a birth right.

Dear Sarma-61 Ji,

With all due respect let me ask you a very simple personal question.

Are you living the life of a Brahmin as was lived about 5 generations before your time? Are you earning money? Are you performing all the Nithya and other Karmas prescribed for a Brahmin (please refer to Kanchi Maha Periaval's 'a day in the life of a Brahmin' in his book 'Hindu Dharma'.

These questions are not there to shame you. They are to tell you that we all in our community (except may be a small fraction and I don't know who they are) follow the prescriptions. Perhaps by this definition you are a 1/4th Brahmin and I am 1/16th. I don't know. But please remember also that a Brahmin's role is to support the society and all other Varnas. When those people, who are close to 95% of all folks, don't support us, what should we do?

We can not resist change. We Indians are forever changed, first by Islam, then by the British and now by the fast moving technological advancements, new thoughts about secularism, about individual rights and equality. Don't you think that if we insist on a life of yesterday of our forefathers, before all this, we will be wiped out as a community? What more harm can there be against us, then? At least today we are competing, despite the onerous Govt. quotas.

If our charter is to keep our tradition of our scriptures intact, the only logical way is what Sri Brahmanyan Ji has said. If we cling on to the past, for whatever noble cause it entails, we will be the losers. Are you sure that is what you want for our future generations?

Yes, Professor Nara Ji, who I admire, is a revolutionist. The only difference between his views and a lot os us is that, he wants a revolutionary solution to our dichotomy. A lot of us are saying that to leave it alone as it is happening anyways. But I do not think that what a few of you want, namely, to preserve the old Varna oriented Brahmin Dharma will ever come back. It is sad, but it is the truth.

Regards,
KRS

And moksha is also not a birthright. there is no conflict if one accepts that (some) brahmins are no compromise safe keepers,

Dear Sarang Ji,

I have no problems if Varna is a birth right..thats fine with me.
I do agree with you that the Brahmins have preserved the scriptures by unbroken oral tradition.
That I do not deny too.

But what I want to say is Varna can be a birth right but Jnana(Knowledge) is not a birth right.

Dear Sarma-61 Ji,

Yes, Professor Nara Ji, who I admire, is a revolutionist. The only difference between his views and a lot os us is that, he wants a revolutionary solution to our dichotomy. A lot of us are saying that to leave it alone as it is happening anyways. But I do not think that what a few of you want, namely, to preserve the old Varna oriented Brahmin Dharma will ever come back. It is sad, but it is the truth.

Regards,
KRS

Are you sure that this is the difference? I think otherwise.

Sri Nara, if I am correct, is stating that at least some brAhmaNas in this forum are hypocritical to call themselves as brAhmaNas as they are not doing what is laid out in vedas; their actions and words do not match; that they are putting on the act of brAhmanism just to assert their assumed superiority;

If someone wades through these waters successfully then will come the task of answering the allegations that the vedas are "inane stuff", they (the vedas) are silly superstitions and loony; the matter will finally rest with the conclusion that there was/is no God or supernatural agent, as science or rationality demands.

that the brAhmaNas were conspicuously vile throughout the recorded period of humanity, what with suppressing the charavakas, doing away with jainas and buddhists. The brAhmanas of old have the blood on their hands of other varNas;

these are the main points and many other points would spring out if we walk through these points in detail.

The dichotomy is not many people in this forum agree with his conclusions and proposed solution.

Last edited:
Dear Sarma-61 Ji,

Are you performing all the Nithya and other Karmas prescribed for a Brahmin (please refer to Kanchi Maha Periaval's 'a day in the life of a Brahmin' in his book 'Hindu Dharma'.

Are you not missing out the non-verbal communications? About 10 years ago, the ladies had to be dressed in sarees or pavadai-dhavani for dharshanam. At the last I heard there is no issue if the females are dressed in salvar.

About 10 years back oupasanam was insisted upon in addition to sandhya-vandanam, but now a days oupasanam is not being mentioned.

1. I fail to understand the logic that if we give up all the traditions, and the varna concept, we can still call ourselves brahmins.
2. I remember kanchi periyavar said (theivathin kural), quoting thirukkural that we must not give up anushtanams,even if we forget vedas which can be relearnt. Following anushtanams is not difficult and multiple choices are now available to do that.
3. I feel it is incorrect to say that all brahmins were engaged only in the six prime activities. Apart from teaching vedas to deserving students (i am sure what % of brahmacharis were competent and willing) or doing yagnas, many were engaged in more mundane professions - ministers to kings, accountants to traders or administering temples and institutions. When vidyaranyar as a minister in krishnadevaraya's court sent an invitation to vedanta desikar (both studied together) to join him, desikar refused to go and chose to lead his simple life of unchavrutti and exposition of ramanuja's philosophy (not vedas). All grihasta brahmins cannot lead a life of 'danam' taking and had to have some type of earning mechanism to meet family's and dependents' needs. It was treated as a duty to support destitute relatives of all ages.
4. I am sure our ancestors of 3 or 4 previous generations managed to follow a fairly strict ritualistic life with a busy, employment/ work related outside life, with suitable changes in the dress and deportment. And supported the vedas and ritual related traditions. They did all these without any inconvenience or harm to other varnas or communities. (it appears now there are only two varnas - brahmins and nonbrahmins.)
5. What is objectionable is the howl that if one doesn't know veda or does not have the physical symbols or slack in doing nitya karmas or special karmas. As with everything, there are grades - vaidika to practising to sloppy - brahmins. Some may move left and some to the right and will find a fulfilling balance in their life.
6. Our acharyas too have modified their teachings, life style (no travel on foot, submitting to medical treatment etc). They guide their sishyas when approached with problems related to way of life and anushtanams and do not excommunicate or use harsh words when one does not have a kudumi or the wife does not wear a madisar. They help in marriage alliances between compatible families and most important - meet the spiritual needs and resolve problems.
7. Despite our busy life we should make sincere efforts to visit our acharyas with family (especially teen sons and daughters). It is parent's duty to expose them to the brahminical ways; the children can always decide which path suits them more.
8. The revolutionists have a biological hate for everything related to brahmins - anushtanams, scriptures and sampradayams and want to "destroy" by force (verbal or otherwise). How can this be tolerated?
9. To sum up, practising brahmins (10 to 90%) must support the vaidikas (10%) and the institutions (mutts, vedic schools, temple administration, publishers of religious literature).
10. Renouncing brahmin varna is is available who want to fall out. Why not do that instead of throwing stones?

Dear Sarma-61 Ji,

Are you living the life of a Brahmin as was lived about 5 generations before your time? Are you earning money? Are you performing all the Nithya and other Karmas prescribed for a Brahmin (please refer to Kanchi Maha Periaval's 'a day in the life of a Brahmin' in his book 'Hindu Dharma'.

These questions are not there to shame you. They are to tell you that we all in our community (except may be a small fraction and I don't know who they are) follow the prescriptions. Perhaps by this definition you are a 1/4th Brahmin and I am 1/16th. I don't know. But please remember also that a Brahmin's role is to support the society and all other Varnas. When those people, who are close to 95% of all folks, don't support us, what should we do?

We can not resist change. We Indians are forever changed, first by Islam, then by the British and now by the fast moving technological advancements, new thoughts about secularism, about individual rights and equality. Don't you think that if we insist on a life of yesterday of our forefathers, before all this, we will be wiped out as a community? What more harm can there be against us, then? At least today we are competing, despite the onerous Govt. quotas.

If our charter is to keep our tradition of our scriptures intact, the only logical way is what Sri Brahmanyan Ji has said. If we cling on to the past, for whatever noble cause it entails, we will be the losers. Are you sure that is what you want for our future generations?

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear Sri Sarang,
Like you and perhaps Sri Sarma-61, I too am lost or confused on this discussion.
To recap, the OP was about the need to keep the culture alive and the emphasis to have alliances within the community that has upheld (some, perhaps critical) aspects of Brahminism, noting that many have offered or accepted alliances outside.
My guess is
1. this has prompted some people to react and question why these alliances cannot be viewed in the same way and why 'mock' at it (Note, I am using certains words which might not have been stated directly) and how or why alliances within the Brahmin community can be claimed to be a sanctity when some can see outward visible marks of no Brahmin practices existing in those families.
2. some have been motivated to look critically at past Brahmins and their reverred references to show that earlier practices, most of it being several centuries have been no good.
You will notice that whereever there has been adherence, it has been condemned, and wherever there has been amendments or adaptations also, it has been condemned. So the intention seems obvious, although I am yet to understand the motive.

Quite contrary to what Sri KRSji says, I havent seen any (appealing) solution.

Last edited:
Dear Sarma-61 Ji,

Shri KRS sir,

To be honest, I am sort of afraid of posting an answer direct to you. That is because I do not know whether something I write may invite moderation. Still, since you have addressed to me, I am writing my views.

I agree that it is not possible to observe many of the brahmin customs or act as per our beliefs (superstitions, according to some people, may be). One very small example which happened recently; according to family custom we use "peraNTai" (a creeper sort, with 'muTTus' like bamboo, sugarcane etc., stem - I don't know what it is known as in TN.) in SrAddhams, but now such a thing was not to be found anywhere. Even one or two houses which had this growing abundantly, have either been converted into flats (and all the compound cleared) or the younger generation which lives ffound it useless and completely removed it and have planted anthurium, and other modern flowering plants like orchids! So, we have to do without peraNTai hereafter. In such cases, yes, we cannot follow our old customs.

But there are very many other things which can still be done. I cannot say what percentage brAhmaNan I am nor do I want to claim any credit for whatever I am following and lose the % marks for things which I may not be following. But I know young brahmins who definitely try to adopt as much of our neglected culture. For example, I know a younger person (who was retrenched by his company) who has taken to most of the brahminical nityakarmas like 3 times sandhyavandanam, brahmayajnam, oupaasanam, all the tarpanams including grahana tarpanams. He usually wears pancakaccham and uttareeyam, acts as assistant to the chief vaadhyars whenever so called upon and is good in almost all mantrajapams and paaraayanam of Srimad Bhaagavtam, Naaraayaneeyam, Devi maahaatmyam, Vaalmeeki Raamaayanam, etc. Of course, he cannot do pravachanam. He also observes the cAturmAsya.

The more interesting and perhaps notable thing is that his son-in-law to be, (a young HRD professional drawing a lucrative salary by Indian standards) has requested that his marriage may be 4-days' marriage, in the sense of doing oupaasanam and that the first night may be on the night of the 4th. day. This is not all; the would-be sil also does sandyavandanam as regularly as possible, since he has to tour most of the time and may be he adopts the religiosity of his fil in future.

What I am trying to convey is that we brahmins can follow much of the old traditions even today if only we have the will and preparedness to do it. I can cite the example of a company executive who carries pancapaatram, uddharani and one small taambaalam during his A/C class train journey and religiously does sandhyavandanam during the journey also.

The feeling that "
if we insist on a life of yesterday of our forefathers, before all this, we will be wiped out as a community?"comes because many brahmins are just looking for some mere excuse to throw away all the brahmin customs and beliefs, and then consider themselves 'emancipated', 'civilized', 'cultured', etc. They are just waiting for a pretext. And, if more and more people insist on adhering to the customs which can be followed, I do not feel it will cause our community to be wiped out. Some youngsters from the metro cities showing a liking for the brahmin customs of old, as pointed out by me above, only strengthens my view.

As usually cited by me, let us learn from the parable of the unfortunate crow which wanted to ape the peacock thinking that it will add to its reputation. Remaining a crow begets recognition from other crows as also the peacocks.

These are all your opinionated views. Yes, we may not be able to resist some changes, like discontinuing the use of "peraNTai" in SrAddham meals. But that does not lead to an umbrella statement that 'we cannot resist change' which reflects, to me, a mindset already raring to go in for change, for change's sake.

We can, as individuals, and at the individual level insist on a life as near as possible, to the lifestyle of our grandfathers or of those before them. But we may not be able to compel anyone (even the wife or children) to follow what we do; but when there is no compulsion they will, more likely, be accommodative and will try to make changes in their lifestyles also. For example the orthodox young man's wife is a senior bank official but she wears 9 yards' puDavai on the religious days like tarpanam, sraddham etc., and changes to Salwar-khameez before going to office. His daughter is a CA and she also observes many of the rules and restrictions as per our customs, though she wears jeans and other modern dress when going for work. This man drives the car and accompanies his family to vegetarian hotels if it is not a special day.

Regards,
KRS

Sir, with due respect to both yourself and Shri Nara, to my limited intelligence, while Shri Nara is honest and calls all brahminism bad, you come out as duplicitous, to me. You sing and support brahmins and their beliefs to the extent those conform to your extent of belief; anything out of those is bad, whether it be Nara's clear and honest anti-brahminism, or the type of orthodox brahminism which I support. In effect you are also double-faced like Shri Brahmanyan - lamenting over loss of "sadaachaarams and sampradaayams" in one sentence and praising sky-high the very loss in the next sentence!

That reminds of some people who will talk very high of a deceased person in front of the dead body, but will start disparaging remarks about the very same person, once they reach the street outside that "maraNa veeDu"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back