• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are we getting extinct? What is the contribution of movies towards that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An important question... does the vedic civilisation exist today? As far as I know, it doesn't.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy ji,

What does Vedic Civilization really mean in this context? Isn't most of the current Hinduism practised Vedic in origin? Isnt that already a civilization?

Raghy ji I might not be actively participating for the next few days cos we are having a string of holidays here for Prophet Mohds B'day and also Thaipusam so I might not get the time to log in and so when you reply me my reply could be a bit delayed.

I do not have much knowledge in this topic. However, I wanted to share some
points which I come across in our day to day practice. The study of books give
some information like that the main body of European languages were mainly
derived from Sanskrit. We also read as two periods viz. Early Vedic Period and Later
Vedic Period (Epic Age). From the following, we find some similarity in our usages.

Brother - Bhatr End - Anta
Deity - Devata Idea - Vidya
Mind - Manas Immortal - Amrta
Man - Manu Wind - Vata
Young - Yuvan Yoka - Yoga

Balasubramanian
Ambattur
Mega - Maha

Dear bro Nara Ji,

I agree with you on basing the dating on the basis of Yuga Calendar etc. are not scientific.

Again let me ask you this. Based on scientific research how can they pin point that the vedic period is no more than 4000 years old? On what physical fact they are basing this on?

Regards,
KRS

Dear kalyankumar, Greetings!

Thanks for clarifying, your fond comments about "mottai paatti" and the desire for the return of this "cultural" practice, albeit voluntarily -- thanks a million for the tender mercies -- already hinted at this.

You say you are proud of your vedic religion. From the text I quoted from Kamakoti.org it is clear that Paramacharya teaches his followers that Dharmashastras are Vedic truths that cannot be altered by anybody, including himself. Given your reverence for Paramacharya, why are you hesitant to eagerly embrace what Paramacharya himself says?

You write about Paramacharya in such glowing terms but when I cite his exact words taken from Kamakoti.org, you demur and all you can manage is "I dont even qualify to contradict paramacharya on the subject."

Your hesitation citing lack of knowledge flies in the face of the many expansive comments you have been making about a variety of matters like history of human civilization, biology of human evolution, genetics of veg/nonveg, big-bang theory, etc. In the very unlikely event you are a well recognized polymath, I think it is not unreasonable to assume you are not well read in all these disparate subject matters, yet that did not prevent you from making definitive comments, some bordering on mocking established scientific facts.

Don't get me wrong, I welcome you to record your views on these and any other subject with or without being well read or qualified. I am only trying to point out the inconsistency, somehow you are suddenly coy and using this excuse to avoid answering just those questions that you find difficult to answer.

See, this is what I am talking about. You are here presenting your views quite eloquently and vocally, something I appreciate. But when I come asking some "leading" questions, a perfectly legitimate devise to bring out internal contradictions -- is this not something the Vedic rishis themselves practiced, asking "leading" questions -- you wish to skip them. That is not in keeping with the spirit of the forum, not to mention the fact it reveals a lack of sustainability of these views you express.

Cheers!

Every opinion based on scientific criticism I welcome. As to prejudices .. to which I have never made concessions ... “Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti.” -- Karl Marx

I understand why there is a seeming contradiction in areas I am not commenting. Let me clarify where I can comment and where I cannot. My interests and hence my research on vedic vision has been only through vedanta and not through dharma shaastras. Hence anything that relates to vedantic subject I have spent about 15-16 years of my life studying the same including Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads. So, the brahminic vision as elucidated in those texts I can take up for discussions. If I am asked to comment on Dharma Shaastras or Smritis unfortunately I have not done any studies on.

Also, all my comments on mottai paatti etc were purely from loukika perspective not much of shaastra dristi. In fact, I dont see a need for mottai paattis today, if you read my earlier posting on the subject, I just brought it up from the context that a number of practices are getting extinct today which includes that. Whether we really need to revive all of these practices, is a moot point. As long as the spirit of vedic vision is kept intact, the 'forms' can be adopted to the present. Even the brahminism we are talking about is only the adoptation for present day context. But, that doesnt mean we can leave back the core identity of brahminism like gayathri or vegetarianism or non-mixing or vedic studies and still call ourselves brahmins. I know this is a big topic that can trigger a discussion here on what can be defined as a 'core identity' of brahmins and whether non-mixing is an essential part, let us see who pulls the trigger first.

My personal view on the 'law of land' subject is, let us try and take the 'spirit' of smrithis, adopt them to today's context and move ahead. 'Forms' can change, but 'spirit' has to be maintained. Naturally, I am saying some of the aspects of smrithis may not be accepted as 'rule of land' today in their original form, nor am I sure if they were rule of the land even in the past. But, I dont think by saying this I am contradicting your quote on paramacharya, as he is only saying Smrithis have equal status as Sruthis as they are aligned in the vision. I have read Kalidasa says 'king followed the cow nandini so closely, like the smritis follow sruti', giving sruti - smrithi as example for 'following closely'. So, if we take the 'spirit' of smrithi and have a 'learned' person adopt it, I think it should be fine. The big risk here is, this flexibility to 'adapt' can create chaos with everyone overriding the core principles and the praamaanyam of smrithi will be stepped upon.

So, it is a delicate balance. Paramacharya takes the view that learned person to the equivalent of rishis being not available in current times, it would be wrong to have alterations to smirthi's views in terms of the 'forms'. But, we all know the world has moved in the 70 years since Paramacharya expressed this view. Without changing the 'forms', the spirit also would be gone. Let us take the mottai paatti example again (become a trademark of me, huh?) - the spirit there is, sanayasa for women who are old, lived through the grihasta life, lost the husband etc. Now, whether one shaves the head or wears the kaashaaya is only a 'form', but the spirit is sanyaasaa. Can we not adopt it in some other way? Will smrithi or rishis object if women change the 'form' of sanyasa to possibly - keep the hair etc but start on spiritual pursuits, visiting gurus, kshetraas etc, (since the times are much safer for women than in the past given the travels are no more by foot and reachability is easier)? I dont think so. We need to keep the 'spirit', 'forms' can change. It will not be prudent to insist on shaving the head and wearing white or kaashaaya. Does it mean 'smriti' was wrong or paramaacharya was wrong in supporting smriti, ofcouse not. It was the best 'form' for the times till 19th century, but we have become a society unfit for the same 'form' today. So, I am saying we adopt the 'form' and keep the 'spirit'.

In fact, sruthi (Sri Shankara calls Sruthi as equivalent of sahasra maatha - affectionate equivalent to sum of thousands of mothers) herself has given provision for that. Taittariya upanishads say - 'ye thatra braahmanaaha sammarshinaha, yuktha ayukthaha. Alooksha dharma kaamaasyuhu. Yathaa the thatra vartheran, thathaa thatra varthethaaha. Athaabhyaakhaatheshu' - 'look at what learned people in the current times are following & listen to what they preach; you too follow the same' - a guru is shown by upanishad as telling his students when they pass out of gurukulam. Dharma shaastras also give provision for this, saying, if there is any doubt or adaptability issue on dharma shaastra, reach out to the learned people of the times and take their words as final. But, who is the 'learned' of the time has to be determined.

Last edited:
Dear Sri kalyankumar Ji,

I just read what you have written in detail.

There are 3 items I would like to say:

1. Even though Professor Nara Ji comes across as attacking you personally, that is not the case. Please highlight anything that is a personal attack and I will remove it immediately as I am a Moderator of this Forum.

2. I am sure as a Vedantin you are not concerned about the Smrithis. Smrithis were written to reflect the times. However I think the Vedantic principles are alive and well today, in many a form.

3. When you say the old widows should follow Sanyasa, I ask, why? A 80 year old may want still be a grihastha and a 20 year old may want to be a Sanyasin. Is this not an individual's choice? Why should the society impose something on these folks in the name of being a Brahmin? I think there are lots of things that are personal choices, and left alone to be personal choices. Being a brahmin today is not the same as it was even about 50 years ago. Of course, brahmin today represents a cultural artifact, a shell of what it was even 200 years ago. That life is gone forever. So, let us think of a paradigm that will work in today's world.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear brother Nara Ji,

I can understand dating from physical artifacts found in the Indus valley.

But everyone agrees that the vedas were not written down much much later in the vedic period, because of the oral tradition and other factors such as guarding them closely.

In this context, how can one definitely date the vedic period? Does not make sense to me!

Regards,
KRS

I fully agree, this post sums up the vedic worlds view point on the subject. I think what carbon datings can prove is only existence of physical artifacts, it doesnt disprove any existence. For example, I know names and ages of atleast 10 levels of my forefathers through my father & uncles and this goes back to minimum of 200-250 years some of whom have lived in my village and now in cities. What carbon dating proof they will have after 1000 years for their existence? I think it is silly to look for carbon datings to prove civilizational existence when there are literatures which speak about their time period. I gather that Ramayana talks about astronomical positions at the time of Sri Rama's birth and this astronomical situation points to a number of thousands of years back. But, britishers conveniently reject this saying it was calculated and cooked by Sri Valmiki. It is all about convenience on what I want to believe in, isnt it?

Dear Sri kalyankumar Ji,

I just read what you have written in detail.

There are 3 items I would like to say:

1. Even though Professor Nara Ji comes across as attacking you personally, that is not the case. Please highlight anything that is a personal attack and I will remove it immediately as I am a Moderator of this Forum.

2. I am sure as a Vedantic you are not concerned about the Smrithis. Smrithis were written to reflect the times. However I think the Vedantic principles are alive and well today, in many a form.

3. When you say the old widows should follow Sanyasa, I ask, why? A 80 year old may want still be a grihastha and a 20 year old may want to be a Sanyasin. Is this not an individual's choice? Why should the society impose something on these folks in the name of being a Brahmin? I think there are lots of things that are personal choices, and left alone to be personal choices. Being a brahmin today is not the same as it was even about 50 years ago. Of course, brahmin today represents a cultural artifact, a shell of what it was even 200 years ago. That life is gone forever. So, let us think of a paradigm that will work in today's world.

Regards,
KRS

1. I took the word 'bigot' as a personal attack. I shall remove the statement from my post which indirectly refers to it as personal attack.
2. I am not saying I am 'not concerned about the smrithis', I am only saying I am not 'qualified to comment on smritis'. This is because Nara Ji commented that I am displaying duplicity on the matter.
3. I am not saying old widows "should" follow sanyasa. What I am saying is, IF old widows "want" to follow sanyasa, still they dont "have to shave their heads" but follow it in a different way suited to times.

Hope these clarify.

Last edited:
Okay, Sri Kalyankumar Ji,

Thanks for the clarifications. I accept those except one.

Professor Nara did not call you a bigot, he said if you accept all the odious things in the Manu Smrithi as valid then you would be considered one.

He did not say you are one.

Maha Periaval is also my family Guru. The way to defend what Professor Nara Ji said would be, (if I were you), Maha Periaval did not pass any judgements on the contents of the Smrithis based on today's mores, because as He repeatedly said, He had no authority to change them. He never said that these odious laws are valid today.

Instead, I am afraid you took a rather compromising stand.

Just my take.

Regards,
KRS

Okay, Sri Kalyankumar Ji,

Thanks for the clarifications. I accept those except one.

Professor Nara did not call you a bigot, he said if you accept all the odious things in the Manu Smrithi as valid then you would be considered one.

He did not say you are one.

Maha Periaval is also my family Guru. The way to defend what Professor Nara Ji said would be, (if I were you), Maha Periaval did not pass any judgements on the contents of the Smrithis based on today's mores, because as He repeatedly said, He had no authority to change them. He never said that these odious laws are valid today.

Instead, I am afraid you took a rather compromising stand.

Just my take.

Regards,
KRS

My stand is compromising, yes. But, I believe in that. We need to adopt the smrithis to today without compromising the 'spirit' of it. We as a community have anyway already given up on what smrithi has ordained us to do, so taking the 'spirit' of smrithi and changing the 'form' doesnt really compromise smrithi, but actually helps keep the intent of rishis in practice. My intention is not to either defend or reject Paramacharya, but to look at the matter in the earnest. In the process I do agree I have taken a view that is not aligned to Paramacharya.

On Nara Ji's statement on 'bigot', I do understand how he put it and what was meant there. But, it cannot be denied that he tried to push me to take a stand on smritis and in the process brought the line of argument that my stand will reflect on how I would be perceived individually. In this point, he has surely crossed the line of being impersonal and personal.

<EDTD - KRS> - Once again 'the process has broken down' - as the judge says in 'My Cousin Vinnie'. If you have an issue with Moderation, please PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
My stand is compromising, yes. But, I believe in that. We need to adopt the smrithis to today without compromising the 'spirit' of it. We as a community have anyway already given up on what smrithi has ordained us to do, so taking the 'spirit' of smrithi and changing the 'form' doesnt really compromise smrithi, but actually helps keep the intent of rishis in practice. My intention is not to either defend or reject Paramacharya, but to look at the matter in the earnest. In the process I do agree I have taken a view that is not aligned to Paramacharya.

On Nara Ji's statement on 'bigot', I do understand how he put it and what was meant there. But, it cannot be denied that he tried to push me to take a stand on smritis and in the process brought the line of argument that my stand will reflect on how I would be perceived individually. In this point, he has surely crossed the line of being impersonal and personal.

Shri Kalyankumar sir,

I wish to state, with reference to your above post, that I doubt there is some sort of "trap" being laid for you here, because you have been arguing your views consistently. The moderator now seems to side with Shri Nara based on minute literary meanings, as has been well brought out by Shri Shiv KC in this post.

My point is, why should we feel shy about our Dharmasastras and the interpretations (whatever they be) given to those by Kanchi Acharya? Incidentally, I follow the Shringeri Matham and not Kanchi, but if you follow Kanchi Matham, then let us follow all the upadesams of Kanchi Matham without any reservation.

I understand the point here is regarding widows being made "moTTai pATTis"; if the Acharyal says this is what the vedic belief system envisaged, how can anyone of us refute and say that the Acharyal is wrong? If I were in your position, I would have said that I support what the Acharyal has said.

<EDTD - KRS - If you have issues with Moderation, contact us via PM.

It is really sad that good and unprovocative discussions are being crippled out here and some of us are lost in the floweriness of a language and unable to see the intent behind those interruptions.

Last edited:
...Based on scientific research how can they pin point that the vedic period is no more than 4000 years old? On what physical fact they are basing this on?
Dear brother, IVC is the physical evidence. I hope you are not disputing that IVC predates Vedic period. IVC is a bookend for how far back we can go to date the advent of Vedic culture. The earliest time for the disappearance of IVC is 1900 BCE, which puts the start of Vedic period to sometime after that.

Cheers!

Every opinion based on scientific criticism I welcome. As to prejudices .. to which I have never made concessions ... “Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti.” -- Karl Marx

Dear Shri kalyankumar, Greetings!

I thank you for taking the time and giving me the benefit of your response. You are very eloquent presenting your views and that is refreshing, I appreciate it. However, I just can't disagree more with your views.

... Let me clarify where I can comment and where I cannot. My interests and hence my research on vedic vision has been only through vedanta and not through dharma shaastras.

Shri kalyankumar, you started this thread with a long list of laments about Brahmins, Brahmin way of life, icm and such matter, all of this is Dharmashastra material, not Vedantam. This is why I wanted you to clarify what you mean when you say "true brahmana" for which you asked me to go read three volumes of Deivattin Kural, an unreasonable response by any account.

Then, when I cited what Paramacharya has said about these matters you demurred and refused to take a stand. I think this is not a fair way to have a open discussion.

Now you say you want to preserve the spirit of Dharmashastras, you said "So, if we take the 'spirit' of smrithi and have a 'learned' person adopt it, I think it should be fine."

Paramacharya rejected this view, according to him not a single word can be changed, i.e. the ideal is for one to follow the dharmashastras verbatim. The flip side is, to the extent you adopt to present day conditions you are veering off the true path.

But you are still evading the question whether you would consider a society governed by dharmashastra rules a perfect society. This is a theoretical question, but it is important that you answer it as that would provide the intellectual clarity on your view of the issues that animated you in this thread, mainly icm, and Brahmnical superiority -- I cite your discussion on genes and diamond analogy for this.

Whenever I bring Dharmashastras in this forum people object that it is a dead horse. Nobody bothers about it they say. That is true, nobody bothers about these Dharmashastras, but they there in the background, the unseen foundation upon which this jAti system is built. It is these unseen dead-horse Dharmashastras that make you say non-mixing is a core principle of Brahminism.

Most Brahmins in my generation I come across harbor these retrograde ideas, only a few articulate them with eloquence like you are doing. This is seen by the rest of the society like an ugly sore in the face of Brahmin community, a sore that Brahmins can't see or don't want to see. Individual Brahmins who do not openly exhibit this obnoxious superiority are treated fairly, and if they truly reject this superiority notion they are respected and even loved by the rest of the society. But, if a Brahmin acts out this "non-mixing" in public, they will face public ridicule.

This is why no Brahmin dare act out this "non-mixing" in public anymore. It survives only in marriage alliances, and this is also changing. The youngsters are rejecting this more and more. It is still a small minority, but these are much more prevalent now than in previous generations. There will surely come a time when incidences of icm will attain critical mass and then it will become the norm. This is inevitable. This is not unique to Brahmins or Tamils, all societies experience this. There will always be tension between those who want to preserve tradition and those who want to change archaic anachronistic practices. Change will always win, because change is constant.

Cheers!

Thank you so much, Sri kalyankumar Ji. I am sure Professor Nara Ji will also be careful in terms of word usage.

Regarding Smrithis, especially the ones covering Hindu Dharma, I think they should be rewritten to reflect the current times, not violating the Indian Constitution. But when a person with the caliber of Maha Periaval says that He had no authority to change them, who else can do it? Even if one does, who will accept, given all the different views in our community? You can even see that here in the Forum! So, I am afraid, such an effort will not come to pass. I think Maha Periaval knew this all too well and based on wisdom, refrained to attempt.

Just my take.

Regards,
KRS
1. I took the word 'bigot' as a personal attack. I shall remove the statement from my post which indirectly refers to it as personal attack.
2. I am not saying I am 'not concerned about the smrithis', I am only saying I am not 'qualified to comment on smritis'. This is because Nara Ji commented that I am displaying duplicity on the matter.
3. I am not saying old widows "should" follow sanyasa. What I am saying is, IF old widows "want" to follow sanyasa, still they dont "have to shave their heads" but follow it in a different way suited to times.

Hope these clarify.

Dear Brother,

This is where exactly my issue is with dating.

I agree on IVC dating definitely. But when we say that Rg Veda came after that is where my problem lies.

Rg Veda time period is mainly based on, from what I understand, comparing the split time between Iranian and Indian branches and based on philology coming up with a period for the Indian Vedic Period. Yet, it is agreed that because there was oral tradition, that tradition was practiced for 'over a millenium'. I don't understand how one can definitively say this. No one knows about why the IVC vanished. No one knows when the so called Aryans settled in to India and when And when you read about the Rg Veda dating, they pepper it with language as 'perhaps', 'probably' etc.

They can not even agree on when Jesus walked the earth, and what he did at times in his life and this was with a culture that wrote down everything.

I just can not trust these 'scientific' studies that date things based on philology that assign dates based on known documents. I would wait for more corroboration through hard evidence.

Sorry, just my take on this.

Regards,
KRS

Dear brother, IVC is the physical evidence. I hope you are not disputing that IVC predates Vedic period. IVC is a bookend for how far back we can go to date the advent of Vedic culture. The earliest time for the disappearance of IVC is 1900 BCE, which puts the start of Vedic period to sometime after that.

Cheers!

Kalyankumar has a valid point here. We have two types (in a broad sense) of dating events or say calendars. Traditional dating and sequence of events as stated in our puranas, ithihasas and literature. The second, the so called scientific dating. In a sense, the scientific dating is also relative, based on some assumptions (claimed to be scientific). When the assumptions are challenged or new discoveries shift the references points, the whole times and dates are revised. This process will go on for ever. Like dating of mahabharata and ramayana, with a year difference of 2K to 3 K years, when traditionally they happened in different yugas (separated by lakhs of years).

So we must always carry the traditional dating without corruption; losing it is a great disservice to our dharma and tradition.

I fully agree, this post sums up the vedic worlds view point on the subject. I think what carbon datings can prove is only existence of physical artifacts, it doesnt disprove any existence. For example, I know names and ages of atleast 10 levels of my forefathers through my father & uncles and this goes back to minimum of 200-250 years some of whom have lived in my village and now in cities. What carbon dating proof they will have after 1000 years for their existence? I think it is silly to look for carbon datings to prove civilizational existence when there are literatures which speak about their time period. I gather that Ramayana talks about astronomical positions at the time of Sri Rama's birth and this astronomical situation points to a number of thousands of years back. But, britishers conveniently reject this saying it was calculated and cooked by Sri Valmiki. It is all about convenience on what I want to believe in, isnt it?

.... Like dating of mahabharata and ramayana, with a year difference of 2K to 3 K years, when traditionally they happened in different yugas (separated by lakhs of years).

So we must always carry the traditional dating without corruption; losing it is a great disservice to our dharma and tradition.

Several lakshs of years, really dear brother Sarang??!!

In this respect I think Scientology will give you a run for your money, for them earth was populated by aliens some trillions of years ago and the tall tales of their Thetan is no less fantastic than your Hindu Puranas.

There are some real nice things in what is generally called Hinduism, but, unfortunately, Brahminism has a smothering grip on it with their supremacist ideology and weird superstitions. There is nothing of essence that is lost by accepting scientific dating, yet you guys resist. There is nothing lost in jettisoning Brahminical supremacy and focusing on Yoga for body and mind sans superstitions <edited out as suggested by Shri KRS>. Really, unfortunate indeed.

Believe you me, reformation of your Hindu religion will only strengthen it, the very thing you guys say you are so proud of, Hinduism.

Cheers!

Dear bro Nara Ji,

I know you think what you call as 'Brahminism' is the source of all evil in Hinduism; it is your right to believe that.

But don't you think that you are harsh when you call a whole group of people's religious practices as superstitious and lunacy? I think, with the facility you have with language, you can communicate your thought without resorting to such a wholesale expression of condemnation. I think you can do better.

Regards,
KRS

A billion souls believe in yuga concept and some do come out with dates like 2500 BCE for krishna's birth or the mahabharata war. The deduced dates keep changing every year as the references used for estimation get shifted by some other event. Wise souls will not and need not throw away the puranic dates just because new computed dates are thrown about with embedded assumptions.

One thing is certain; brahmins will survive and will ensure survival and continuance of brahminical traditions. They have survived in the past despite persecution from several fronts. They know how to fit their traditions in a changing world.

Verbal attacks of brahmins may give one mental satisfaction, but will only earn revulsion from brahmins and non brahmins alike.

Several lakshs of years, really dear brother Sarang??!!

In this respect I think Scientology will give you a run for your money, for them earth was populated by aliens some trillions of years ago and the tall tales of their Thetan is no less fantastic than your Hindu Puranas.

There are some real nice things in what is generally called Hinduism, but, unfortunately, Brahminism has a smothering grip on it with their supremacist ideology and weird superstitions. There is nothing of essence that is lost by accepting scientific dating, yet you guys resist. There is nothing lost in jettisoning Brahminical supremacy and focusing on Yoga for body and mind sans superstitious mumbo jumbo and other such lunacy, but it is these lunacies you love most. Really, unfortunate indeed.

Believe you me, reformation of your Hindu religion will only strengthen it, the very thing you guys say you are so proud of, Hinduism.

Cheers!

Dear Shri kalyankumar, Greetings!

I thank you for taking the time and giving me the benefit of your response. You are very eloquent presenting your views and that is refreshing, I appreciate it. However, I just can't disagree more with your views.

Shri kalyankumar, you started this thread with a long list of laments about Brahmins, Brahmin way of life, icm and such matter, all of this is Dharmashastra material, not Vedantam. This is why I wanted you to clarify what you mean when you say "true brahmana" for which you asked me to go read three volumes of Deivattin Kural, an unreasonable response by any account.

Then, when I cited what Paramacharya has said about these matters you demurred and refused to take a stand. I think this is not a fair way to have a open discussion.

Now you say you want to preserve the spirit of Dharmashastras, you said "So, if we take the 'spirit' of smrithi and have a 'learned' person adopt it, I think it should be fine."

Paramacharya rejected this view, according to him not a single word can be changed, i.e. the ideal is for one to follow the dharmashastras verbatim. The flip side is, to the extent you adopt to present day conditions you are veering off the true path.

But you are still evading the question whether you would consider a society governed by dharmashastra rules a perfect society. This is a theoretical question, but it is important that you answer it as that would provide the intellectual clarity on your view of the issues that animated you in this thread, mainly icm, and Brahmnical superiority -- I cite your discussion on genes and diamond analogy for this.

Whenever I bring Dharmashastras in this forum people object that it is a dead horse. Nobody bothers about it they say. That is true, nobody bothers about these Dharmashastras, but they there in the background, the unseen foundation upon which this jAti system is built. It is these unseen dead-horse Dharmashastras that make you say non-mixing is a core principle of Brahminism.

Most Brahmins in my generation I come across harbor these retrograde ideas, only a few articulate them with eloquence like you are doing. This is seen by the rest of the society like an ugly sore in the face of Brahmin community, a sore that Brahmins can't see or don't want to see. Individual Brahmins who do not openly exhibit this obnoxious superiority are treated fairly, and if they truly reject this superiority notion they are respected and even loved by the rest of the society. But, if a Brahmin acts out this "non-mixing" in public, they will face public ridicule.

This is why no Brahmin dare act out this "non-mixing" in public anymore. It survives only in marriage alliances, and this is also changing. The youngsters are rejecting this more and more. It is still a small minority, but these are much more prevalent now than in previous generations. There will surely come a time when incidences of icm will attain critical mass and then it will become the norm. This is inevitable. This is not unique to Brahmins or Tamils, all societies experience this. There will always be tension between those who want to preserve tradition and those who want to change archaic anachronistic practices. Change will always win, because change is constant.

Cheers!

Nara Ji,

You seem to have the knack of making people come out with views on issues even if they don't really intend to foray into the same. Anyway, if you sincerely feel it is helping people understand these complex things better, I dont mind coming out with my views on these.

True brahmana - is a long explanation - going by traditional view, hence I refered you to Paramacharya's work, as it is possibly the most simple and contemporary view of the same. Anyway, Manu defines what is a braahmana dharma - "adhyaapanam adhyayanam yajanam yaajanam haanam prathigrahaha are the 6 must dos for braahmana", ie one must study vedas, teach vedas, do yaagaas, make others perform yaagaas, give daanam and receive daanam.

Contemporarily, I think the minimum qualities of braahmana are - perform samskaras from jaatakarma onwards, do pancha yagja (like deva yagna, pithru yagna, bootha yagna through giving food to animals, birds etc), gayathri upaasana, vegetarianism, reasonable studies of vedas if not full (swaadhyaaya & pravachana), some level of aachara, non-mixing, lead by example for ones varna and other varnas, and finally following 4 ashramas to liberate oneself (brahmacharya - sanyaasa). It may be a bit tall ask, but I think these are possible even in this age. I for one am able to do these without compromising or conflicting any of the things which are contemporary for my age. There may be different levels one might be able to accomodate things - for example on pancha yagna, vedic study etc - but, as long as gayathri, vegetarianism and non-mixing are kept up, one is still a brahmin, which is a position even paramacharya accepts. He says the only spark that is still left with brahmins is gayathri and that can be used to bring the fire back.

On the complaint of my evading the question on dharmashaastra being rule of the law, I am not sure what more I can do to make my stand clear. I think varna system in "its entirely" is obsolete and all said and done, it was a system put forth by vedas for enabling society to perform various duties and yet align the duties to ones nature so that one can progress spiritually. Truly this was the intent of the system. A person born as Kshatriya was to be performing warriors' duties and through that elevate oneself towards moksham / brahma gnaanam. Same way, a person born as shudra was to be performing physical labour through which to elevate oneself towards the moksham. This was not even after different births, but in the same birth. We see nayanmaars belong to these 4 different varnas attaining moksham in the same birth. This was how the society was functioning in vedic world - there was no 'competition' in that society, as there were no 'choices'.

We need to understand why the varna system was an excellent system. Let me take an example - in chennai, prior to 1990s, 'coffee' meant a standard mix of certain components and only variant was 'without sugar' for diabetic. Today, when we board an aircraft and ask for a coffee, there are 15 variants - coffee with milk, without milk, with diary creamer, decaffinated, with brown sugar, with white sugar, without sugar, latte coffee, it goes on. Having more choices - has it really enhanced the experience of drinking coffee? In fact, it only makes one unsure whether the choice made was right or not. Same holds for choice of job, choice of partner, choice of lifestyle - every one is unsure, unhappy about choices made, often blaming others & surroundings for ones unhappiness.

Think of a system where the job is 'given' by birth - one doesnt even have to make a choice, so no 'competition'.... Think of system where spouse is 'given' before one becomes an adult (just like parents are 'given', brothers & sisters are 'given') - there is no 'choosing' involved, so no competition or complaint... do we ever complain why a particular set of parents or brothers or sisters for us? (insignificant few may do so, but very unusual).

Same way, duties were 'given' for ones' varna, one's aashrama (stage of life) and ones role - eg., what are my duties to my parents, what are my duties to my kids, what are my duties to my guru - it was a 'duty' centered society and not a 'right' centered society. No one would say 'this is my right... I will have my way'.. instead, others' duty becomes 'my right' by default.

Athithis were considered gods, gurus were considered gods, mother was considered goddess, father a god, elderly were respected, even nomads (sanyaasis) were considered gods.. It was a system, where the 'giver' felt blessed by 'giving'. Today, we make the 'receiver' of alms feel sick and small. In vedic system, the 'receiver' was made to feel blessed; people serve food and prostrate to those who have taken food and even give 'buktha dakshinaa' to people who took food - that was the way our society 'gave'. Same way, elderly people felt 'important' inside the family and in the society, not vanquished in old-age homes. Nomads were prostrated to, fed without any questions asked, sheltered in mutts so that they can learn about 'liberation' and attain moksham. Animals were workshipped, birds were worshipped, even ants were fed through bhoota yagnams. All these were primarily observed by brahmin community and others tried to emulate. Was such a society 'retrograde'? I would say that society was 'far advanced' in their vision.

So, if there is a choice of such a rule and society to come back again, well I would vote for it. But, can we really think of all 4 varnas to be resurrected etc today? May be an 'avatara' can resurrect it. But, in the absence of the same, I think minimum of one varna has to survive, because that is one duty that cannot be done by others. Shudra's job can be done by any varna, kshatriya's job has become more of intellectual job these days & the arms are all rockets etc so can be done by anyone, vaishya's job can be done by anyone. But the braahmana's dharma cannot be done by others due to various stipulations. We cant argue this, as the pramaana here is only vedas and it is only driven by our 'shraddhaa' that we make this statement - 'why' for this question cannot be answered in any other way. But, if doing other varnaa's job will elevate one towards moksha is a question possibly difficult to answer.

But, the theory that there was discrimination in the varna society was fallacious, I have already covered it in earlier post and the presence of 'obnoxious superiority' feeling of brahmins is something I dont agree with.

On your point about how society moves and ICM etc, I agree that is how it is happening and it will happen. But, all we can conclude is that it is not good that way, so, anything small we can do to stop the degradation, we should make an attempt.

Last edited:

Shri Kalyankumar sir,

I wish to state, with reference to your above post, that I doubt there is some sort of "trap" being laid for you here, because you have been arguing your views consistently. The moderator now seems to side with Shri Nara based on minute literary meanings, as has been well brought out by Shri Shiv KC in this post.

My point is, why should we feel shy about our Dharmasastras and the interpretations (whatever they be) given to those by Kanchi Acharya? Incidentally, I follow the Shringeri Matham and not Kanchi, but if you follow Kanchi Matham, then let us follow all the upadesams of Kanchi Matham without any reservation.

I understand the point here is regarding widows being made "moTTai pATTis"; if the Acharyal says this is what the vedic belief system envisaged, how can anyone of us refute and say that the Acharyal is wrong? If I were in your position, I would have said that I support what the Acharyal has said.

<EDTD - KRS - If you have issues with Moderation, contact us via PM.

I think we need to come out of our 'emotional clingings' and look at situation objectively. I find both sides are clinging to their own point of views due to emotional attachment. In such a situation, what is the use of discussion? When Mandana Mishra lost the argument to Sri Shankara, he gave up on Mimamsa and took to Vedanta. When Sri Shankara lost the argument to Lord Shiva in the form of mlechcha, he wrote Manisha Panchakam and acceded to the view on sarvaathma. We need to have an open mind, not emotional. All that matters is what is the truth - Lord Swaminatha's leela of pranavopadesam is an example we need to cling to. Brahma or Shiva didnt matter to him, what mattered is the truth, no emotions. In my view, 'spirit' is what matters and 'forms' can change and this is vision of both sruti and smriti. If in this point I appear to jump the fence of defending convention, I am fine with it.

I think the view points of Ramanuja and Madhva were due to 'emotional clinging' to their 'personal diety' (ishta deivam). Attachment to even ishta deivam is often a hindrance to understanding the 'truth'. 'Aasai arumingaal aasai arumingal iisanode aayinum aasai arumingaal' - said a sage in tamil - 'give up attachment, even if it is to the iswara himself'. So, in my view, when it comes to exploring truth, if we feel we are not aligned to our aacharya, we should still go ahead with exploration. If we are found wrong, yeah, we shall correct ourselves. But, I dont agree with starting on the premise that 'I will not contradict the aacharya'. If I do that, then I wont be different from those who take a naasthika position.

Last edited:

I think my other response didnt do justice to this part of your post. I didnt want to edit my response and make it any further longer. So, I am taking this up in a separate post, as it is important to address this.

You say, 'This is seen by the rest of the society like an ugly sore in the face of Brahmin community'... Are you sure about this? May be that is what they say, but I am sure that is not how they think. I have seen that more brahminical one is, the respect is more. The hypocrites are encouraged, but not respected. NBs like and even fear brahmins who are 'true brahmins', atleast in TamilNadu I see this very distinctly. Even antagonists like Periyar and Karunanidhi are like that. My own friend's grandfather, who was a vaideeka, was travelling in a train and was doing his sandhya in a tap at vizhuppuram railway station when the train was halting. Periyar, who was in the I class compartment, stepped out and prostrated to the vaideeka and said, 'sir, my fight is not against you, but against those who are non true brahmins & who are megallomaniac and hurting other castes'. How true to heart was Periyar in doing that can be debated, but atleast he had a guilt seeing this vaideeka. Karunanidhi openly expresses his regard for true brahmins to numerous brahmins even these days. I have personally seen this respect for brahmins who observe rules sincerely, sincerity never gets unnoticed; Also what is explicit is the fact that people are following non-mixing not due to hatred but due to religious dictats. It is a convenience for NBs to deal with brahmins who are not true to vedas, because they only stand to gain. Non-true brahmins dont make them feel guilty, but true brahmins do, so they have to put down true brahmins so that they dont feel guilty.

So, in my view, it is brahmins' own perception that NBs perceive true brahmins as 'ugly sore', but reality is different, check it out in all earnest, you will find out the truth.

You say, "The youngsters are rejecting this more and more". May be true. But, that is because of ignorance of what a true brahminism means and the beauty of the vedic practices and how it helps one to be holistic and grow. Look at the youngsters who have tasted carnatic music, and those who have developed taste for vedic chanting etc. They are ballistic and more aggressive than even adults. So, in my view, if we make youngsters understand what it is all about, they will be more aggressive and embrasing than even adults. This is because the younger generation today is not growing up with a self sympathy and inferiority complex, unlike the previous ones who were made to feel small through the visions of Nehrus of the country.

Last edited:
Dear bro Nara Ji,

I know you think what you call as 'Brahminism' is the source of all evil in Hinduism; it is your right to believe that.

But don't you think that you are harsh when you call a whole group of people's religious practices as superstitious and lunacy? I think, with the facility you have with language, you can communicate your thought without resorting to such a wholesale expression of condemnation. I think you can do better.

Regards,
KRS

Agree, also I think people tend to read with colored prism - here Nara Ji read my explanations the way he 'wants to read them' and even does characterisation of people based on how 'he reads them'. For example, in his post he says "Brahmnical superiority -- I cite your discussion on genes and diamond analogy for this". If anyone reads my post on this analogy again, it would be amply clear that I used the diamond analogy not show that brahmin is superior, but to only state that it has taken thousands of generations to create a samskaara can brahminism and it would be foolish to squander it. Yet, he sees only "Brahminical superiority" claim in what I wrote, because it is convenient for him to take it so, in order to advance his arguments.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Sri kalyankumar Ji. I am sure Professor Nara Ji will also be careful in terms of word usage.

Regarding Smrithis, especially the ones covering Hindu Dharma, I think they should be rewritten to reflect the current times, not violating the Indian Constitution. But when a person with the caliber of Maha Periaval says that He had no authority to change them, who else can do it? Even if one does, who will accept, given all the different views in our community? You can even see that here in the Forum! So, I am afraid, such an effort will not come to pass. I think Maha Periaval knew this all too well and based on wisdom, refrained to attempt.

Just my take.

Regards,
KRS

"smruti", the word means 'smaryatE vEdadharmO anEna iti smrutiH'. It means, since the dharma as per the veda/s is being remembered in these, they are (known as) smrutis. Thus the smrutis can be likened to biographies. Altering ancient biographies to suit present day conditions or beliefs is ridiculous. And since we will be altering the view of the vedas about what Dharma is, we will in fact be altering vedas themselves and that is blasphemy, of Hindu religion, to say the least.

As Shri Kalyankumar sir rightly observes, "the ideal is for one to follow the dharmashastras verbatim. The flip side is, to the extent you adopt to present day conditions you are veering off the true path."

Instead of "true path" perhaps we may say "the vedic path".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back