• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are we getting extinct? What is the contribution of movies towards that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It is time to put 'muttukattai'; it is used not only to brake, but also to steer a temple ther. I don't know what is the practice now with BHEL made, ball bearing wheels and hydraulic brakes.

What is the statistics? Has it reached the lower critical value to be seen as a potential threat or is it near the upper critical value that makes it irreversible.

I welcome it if the boy or the girl is brought to the brahminical way of life (I have come across a few cases) if they are so inclined; rule of three - uthamam, madyamam and adhamam will hold good.

I have come across many chettiars, pillais and mudaliars who are very much brahminical in their thinking and actions.

Dear Sri Sarang,
Like you and perhaps Sri Sarma-61, I too am lost or confused on this discussion.
To recap, the OP was about the need to keep the culture alive and the emphasis to have alliances within the community that has upheld (some, perhaps critical) aspects of Brahminism, noting that many have offered or accepted alliances outside.
My guess is
1. this has prompted some people to react and question why these alliances cannot be viewed in the same way and why 'mock' at it (Note, I am using certains words which might not have been stated directly) and how or why alliances within the Brahmin community can be claimed to be a sanctity when some can see outward visible marks of no Brahmin practices existing in those families.
2. some have been motivated to look critically at past Brahmins and their reverred references to show that earlier practices, most of it being several centuries have been no good.
You will notice that whereever there has been adherence, it has been condemned, and wherever there has been amendments or adaptations also, it has been condemned. So the intention seems obvious, although I am yet to understand the motive.

Quite contrary to what Sri KRSji says, I havent seen any (appealing) solution.

And moksha is also not a birthright. there is no conflict if one accepts that (some) brahmins are no compromise safe keepers,

Dear Sarang Ji,

Moksha is the birth purpose of every Jeevaatma and in a way its a birthright too.

Last edited:
I have come across many chettiars, pillais and mudaliars who are very much brahminical in their thinking and actions.

Dear Sarang Ji,

I have a question here..many people think that one has to be "Brahminical" to be religiously inclined.
Hinduism only stresses on being Sattva and Ahimisic.
Sattva is a Guna that can be there in anyone.

I feel vegetarianism and a predominant Sattva lifestyle is adopted by many people these days..I would not want to paint it as being "Brahminical".

For example I am a Vegan,dont miss my prayers,read Sanskrit and religious text daily but I consider it my lifestyle and not being Brahminical.
Its just being a Hindu in my POV.

Moksha/Mukthi or liberation from Birth - Moksha (Salvation) from the cycle of birth
'and death is the ultimate goal of Hindu religious life. The highest happiness one can
get is to escape from the cycle of births and deaths and be a liberated soul, that is
to obtain Moksha.

Purity, Self Control, Truthfulness, Non-Violence (Ahimsa), Compassion (one want to
help others or pity for the sufferings of others) toward all forms of life are the very
essential pre-requisites for any one to seek the spiritual path in the Hindu Dharma.
Moksha or Mukthi is really a birth right of every individual under the umbrella of
Hindu Dharma and one can automatically attain it, if he/she leads a life dedicated
to Dharma, Artha and Kama. There need not be any ambiguity.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

And moksha is also not a birthright. there is no conflict if one accepts that (some) brahmins are no compromise safe keepers,

My dear brother, I am not sure what you mean by birthright, if it is taken at face value, then you are contradicting Swami Nammazhvar, he declared in Thiruvaymozi, வைகுந்தம் புகுவது மண்ணவர் விதியே!

Cheers!

Every opinion based on scientific criticism I welcome. As to prejudices .. to which I have never made concessions ... “Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti.” -- Karl Marx

Dear Sarang Ji,

Moksha is the birth purpose of every Jeevaatma and in a way its a birthright too.

"mOkSha is the ultimate escape for every jeevAtma" may be more accurate because I do not think any of the three streams of vEdAnta are clear about stating the "purpose" for which jeevAtmas were originally created.

"mOkSha is the ultimate escape for every jeevAtma" may be more accurate because I do not think any of the three streams of vEdAnta are clear about stating the "purpose" for which jeevAtmas were originally created.
Speaking only about VA, jeevatmas are not created, they are anAdi, their purpose is to serving para brahman Sriman Narayana, which gives them bliss that is equal to that of para brahman.

Dear Sri Sarma-61 Ji,

As I have said countless times, which you don't seem to notice, I do not Moderate based on my opinions. There are clear Forum rules, violation of which alone will be moderated. Since you addressed me first on Smrithis, I responded.

Now to all who responded to my posting:
I am sure you all have read the following. If not, please do so.
A Day in the Life of a Brahmin from the Chapter "Grhasthasrama", in Hindu Dharma : kamakoti.org:

Who is Responsible for the Decay of Varna Dharma? from the Chapter "The Vedic Religion And Varna Dharma", in Hindu Dharma : kamakoti.org:

What I am arguing for is not about encouraging people not to follow what one thinks as our culture today. I am a Brahmin by culture and I don't shring from it. But to me what that word conveys may be different from each of yours. My argument is that some of you seem to think that only if you do X, Y and Z, you can call yourself a Brahmin. Who decides how much of the prescribed Anushtanams one has to follow? By the way, these practices are there to cleanse one's mind and to prepare for self realization, are they not? Are these then, not personal, in a world where we are all scattered around the globe, doing different things and having different circumstances? I follow my own way of dealing with all these. But, please don't tell me I am not a Brahmin, in the way I define myself.

My differences with Professor Nara Ji's views are obvious. I don't need to elaborate on them. He has his own views, many of them I consider as simply not correct. But that is m,y view. I don't agree with his solutions either. I am not very big on activism to attain a social solution. But at the same time, I admire his courage and tenacity to present his views in a Forum like this.

Sri Sarms-61 Ji opined that my views may be more dangerous than the openly expressed views of Professor Nara Ji. I am sorry he feels that way. My views are based on what I am seeing in our community. As someone said about ladies wearing salwar, things are changing. And changing rapidly. One can take the view that these changes are not correct and lament. Will they stop the changes? Will folks who are educated and are in good jobs listen folks who say that one should do this and that to safeguard our culture? Yes, as Sri Brahmanyan Ji says, I also do not know my Aapasthamba Sutra.

So the question is this? What as a community we need to focus our attention on? To me, the answer is simple. We need to safeguard, protect and aid in the Vedic heritage of our religion. This is the public charter, so to say of our community in my opinion. This is why a lot of us focus our alms giving to this chartera All other stuff like Anushtanams etc. are a private matter. The degree to which Purva Mimamsa is followed or not is a person's own proclivity, interest and most importantly a path to follow. I do not think anyone else has a say in it, in my humble opinion.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Narayan, before I provide my answers to your questions I ask you to keep in mind that I was talking about Shri kalyankumar's view that there was an idyllic vedic age in which all varnas lived in strict separation and also working for the good of everyone. In this discussion, what he thinks of as Vedic age is what I have to go by. In other words, I have to take his definition of Vedic age and show that his highly romanticized view of that time is just a myth. My definition of Vedic age is irrelevant in this discussion and Shri kalyankumar would have rejected it as such.

So, please read my comments from that post in this context.

Alright, now I will answer your questions that are tangential to what I was talking to Shri kalyankumar about.

Here you have to take the position and state clearly whether you consider upaniSad period also as traditional vedic period or not. You just cannot stand at the boundry line and depending upon how the discussion proceeds shift your stand from one position to another.

My considered view, for what it is worth, is, it is difficult to prove conclusively one way or another. But my educated guess is, it is not, i.e. the uttara-mimamsa (UM) period should not be counted as Vedic. I think UM is a response to the intense intellectual challenge to ritualistic poorva-mimamsa (PM) coming from several sources. It may even have been a case of repudiation of PM and the Brahmnical domination of the rituals.

Also, look at some common threads in the Upanishadic stories.

When Svetaketu comes back from his Vedic studies Uddalaka tells him there is something more important than PM. Svetaketu's response is that his guru did not know about it. You can see a similar theme in the story about Narada and Sanatkumara. Nachiketas was quite upset with his father bothered more about cows than real knowledge.

Then there is this strange scene described in Chandogya that depicts the procession of Vedic Brahmanas in performance of Vedic rituals to a procession of dogs, each holding in its mouth the tail of the dog in front and chanting "Om, let us eat! Om, let us drink!"

From these I make this educated guess that UM is probably an attempt to downplay rituals in response to competing religions, and they went even to the extent of putting down some parts of the rituals. I know these are not clinching and convincing evidence for the position I stated above, that is why I say this is my opinion.

Here we are discussing about the situation as obtaining in upaniSads, hence vedas. Where is the concept of "samanya dharma" in vedas? Can you quote some references?
What I said was, "Being truthful is supposed to be a samanya dharma". The Kamakoti.org site has truthfulness under the category, "Dharmas Common To All". Whether the concept of "samanya dharma" is in the vedas or not, you may clarify. In any case, I standby my criticism that there is no cause to appropriate "truthfulness" to Brahmins as Gautama did.

For discussions to be objective, your impressions that Charavaks were most likely brutally supressed does not mean anything. What historical records can you cite in support of your impressions?
Narayan, you are asking the impossible, there is no clinching historical record for almost anything from that far back. I suspect you can't produce any historical record for almost all of the Brahmnical beliefs today. Sorry Narayan, this seems to me a cheap shot, especially considering the fact I did not claim my view as a historical fact. For the sake of objectivity, let me cite my exact words (emphasis added now):

"Charvaka was another who were most likely brutally suppressed to the extent only caricatured fragments of their writings are available, that too as poorvapaksha by Vedantins who have every incentive to portray them in as poor a light as they can, and they did.
"

There are some historical records as to how those who go against the establishment view are treated. In Ramayana itself sage Jabala was smacked down by the would be King and he wisely retreated.

Tamilnadu was fully dominated by Buddha and Jaina religion. There are archeological evidence to show the land was littered with Buddha Viharas and Jaina temples. Thirumangai Azhvar's life story includes a narration of the Azhvar raiding a Buddha Vihara in Nagappatinam and making away with untold riches. Where are all these viharas and temples?

In a time much closer to our own, when Ramanuja converted the Jaina ruler in Thondanur into SV, the accounts say thousands of Jainas were murdered. Some may say these were only symbolic, but, if they are subjected to the same "historical record" standard you want to subject me to, I am sure they will have none.

Also, Ramanuja's own guru and sishya, Periya Nambi and Kuresan were tortured because they wouldn't subscribe to the royally approved religion.

These are instances of brutality visited upon opposing POV within theism itself, what brutality Charvakas must have been subjected to is anybody's guess.

Anyway, the short answer to your question is, "No", I don't have any historical records to present to you.

You are free to hold on to your opinions as you like. But it does not mean anything substantial. If you did not know, "tittri" is a bird that consumed the vomit of sage yajnavalkya and thus formed taittiriya shAkA of yajurveda. Neither the vedic people nor the taittiriyas have shown any resentment to such a legend.

Sage Dirghatamas is the "dhrishta" of Asya Vamasya sukam of Rig veda. An etymological analysis of the name would translate his name as "long/sustained darkness/ignorance". But the vedic people did not consider it as derogatory. There is no purpose in imposing current day prejudice on the vedic people for caricaturing or writing.
No Narayan, this is not what I am talking about. What the Vedic people considered derogatory I have no idea, and I suspect you have none either. But, the caricatured presentation of Charvaka is of much later time period, starting from the resurgence of Brahmnical Vedantic religions, circa 900 CE. I am sure you have looked at the verses attributed to Charvaka, you may decide on your own what to make of it.

Make out the case and we can see where discussions go from there.
Please see above for my reasons.

You arrive at strange conclusions. Please give me historical accounts or evidences that brahmanas indeed received the high dakshinaus. What they demanded is immaterial, what they received is pertinent to the point. Please give historical account and not what vedas claim, as because according to you vedas are fictional. Quoting fiction to prove a reality is a no-no.
Shri Sangom is my reference for this. He wrote about it several times, unfortunately we don't have him posting now.

If you want historical records we will be at an impasse for the reasons I have already stated above. I can only present a reasonable argument, whether to accept it or not is your prerogative.

By the very nature of the trade, ritual and dhakshina are designed for the benefit of the Brahmana making a living. We see it acted out in the present day life. It is not unreasonable to think this was the way it was during Vedic periods also, it is human nature. I am sure not all of them were motivated just by dhakshina, but that it was for most, can be seen by story after story in purans in which Brahmanas go to the royal court in search of wealth, cattle, land etc.

First of all decide whether upaniSads are vedic or not. We can take up the discussion after your stand is clarified.
I have already addressed this question earlier in this post.

BTW, you seem to betray annoyance, why? Please note, I was answering Shri kalyankumars's distasteful comment that a Shudra was born to perform physical labor and by doing so can elevate towards moksham. In this context I noted moksham is not a Vedic concept, but Upnishadic one, and note, I said let us leave that aside. I wanted to leave that aside because that was not a relevant matter in the context of what I was arguing. Now Narayan, you are annoyed with me and want me to not leave that aside.

Your conclusions are very strange. You abhor second hand information, but ferret out what you consider as "fiction" as "evidence" in support of brahminism as you put it.
Narayan, now you are taking potshots, please read my comment in its entirety. I dealt with it giving it the benefit of doubt.

Strictly from logical point of view, why should they? Arent you the one who has been giving out the reason that one's personal experience should not be generalised?
Yes, yes, but I am not the one generalizing. They are the ones citing personal anecdotes to make sweeping statements, so here, there is another personal anecdote, deal with it, is what I am saying. You can't say EVR was a goon and also say look he respects true Brahmins, which is it, pick one and stick with it.

Narayan, what is this, why are you nitpicking like this? I am ready to have a broad dialog with you. But you have been reluctant for your own reasons, always just making a post and then retreating. I still can't figure out what your argument is. If you think I am full of crap, then fine, say so, get it over with. On the other hand if you want a dialog with me, please state your argument without taking potshots, please.

Who told you that sandhyavandanam is the most important vedic ritual? Please quote the specific authority. I did not find anywhere in vedas that Vishwamitra (the dhrshta of gayatri mantram) performed sandhyavandanam. You have stated with authority that it is a vedic ritual, hence my question.
Narayan, this is what everybody says, it is built around Vedic mantras, Acharyas say the one thing a Brahmin can never abandon is Sandhya, whatever he may let go, do the sandhya.This is what I was saying, contrasting it with the singing and dancing Shri kalyankumar was talking about. Taking this out of the context of the discussion and asking me for documentary evidence is the last thing I expected from you. Alright, now you tell me, is it a Vedic ritual or not?

Cheers!

Every opinion based on scientific criticism I welcome. As to prejudices .. to which I have never made concessions ... “Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti.” -- Karl Marx

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear
BTW, you seem to betray annoyance, why?
Cheers!

This urgent response is to let you know immediately that i am NOT annoyed or some such thing.... repeat I am NOT annoyed. If my response gives that impression, I am sorry, it is not intentional.

Regards.

P.S.: Neither do I want to take pot shots at you. My response to your post would cover this also. (that they are not attempted pot shots).

Last edited:
... that the brAhmaNas were conspicuously vile throughout the recorded period of humanity, what with suppressing the charavakas, doing away with jainas and buddhists. The brAhmanas of old have the blood on their hands of other varNas;
Dear Narayana, the history of Brahminism does leave a lot to be desired and it will be a great day when it is finally and inevitably consigned to history books. But what you state here is a caricatured version of a much more nuanced stand of mine.

I do not believe all Brahmins and even most Brahmins, here or elsewhere, start out thinking I am going to be hypocritical, I am superior because I am brahmin and I am going to openly assert my superiority over all others, etc., etc.

There is lot of hypocrisy, yes, but I don't believe it is intentional, they do so unknowingly, at least not all of them.

Starting from the Pallava period, Brahminsim was enforced by state power and Brahmins greatly benefited via royal largesse. By the time of roughly 1000 CE, there is enough evidence to show there was systematic oppression of the lowest jAti people. The system had taken life of its own that even great reformers like Bhagavat Ramanuja were unsuccessful in bringing about any significant change. This is reality, I can back up these with suitable textual evidence.

The point being, the system took over, the machine was in charge. Every individual irrespective of varna grew up firmly believing in the divine nature of Varna system and Dharmashastras. Some tried to reform it and failed because the beast was too powerful and well entrenched. Some fed the beast with gusto and benefited enormously through the labor of others because they enjoyed the protection of state power.

These are uncomfortable truths. You take it from here and make exaggerated statements about what my stand is, as though such exaggeration will obscure the underlying truth of my position.

Let me state this for the record, I am writing here my views, honestly, and as best as I can think and write. In my years I have seen, both young and old, rich and poor, educated and not so educated, even some liberal Brahmins, exhibit a sense of superiority, like we are brahmins, we are cultured, we are intelligent, etc. I think this is not healthy, not to mention false.

I think this is because of what has been drilled into them over their formative years, some by overt assertions from elders, but mostly subtle messages not often openly articulated. If they are made aware of this subtle bias, the beast that lurks deep inside, at least some youngsters and the liberal minded Brahmins will be able to deal with it in a positive way. Perhaps even the staunch defenders of Brahminism may also get sensitized of this angle, and even if they don't openly admit, someday, may be at some opportune moment in the future, they may reflect on it.

This is my hope. To get a true and nuanced understanding of the past. Though Shri KRS praised me as a revolutionary, I don't think I qualify as one. If I am one, I am the armchair kind. I have not put my life on the line for anything I write here. But I did change my thinking and life in a revolutionary way. My wish is not that all other Brahmins must do the same, only that each person who thinks of himself/herself as a Brahmin take a critical look at what that means to them and what that means to others in the society we live in. My wish is Brahmins encourage their children to be open minded and respectful of everyone. My wish is for Brahmins ditch the sense of exclusivity that Shri kalyankumar called "no-mixing". My wish is these things happen in an organic way, not forced upon them from outside.

Let me end by saying, I am not saying Brahmins must all rise up and declare brahmins were vile throughout history, they have blood on their hands, etc. Such over the top characterization of my position is plainly false, misleading, and unhelpful for a reasoned dialog.

Cheers!

Dear brother Nara Ji,

You said:
Though Shri KRS praised me as a revolutionary, I don't think I qualify as one. If I am one, I am the armchair kind. I have not put my life on the line for anything I write here.

If you go back and look, I deliberately did not use the word revolutionary; instead I said a revolutionist (One who favors or is engaged in a revolution). I did not also mean a violent one at that.! :)

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri Sarma-61 Ji,

As I have said countless times, which you don't seem to notice, I do not Moderate based on my opinions. There are clear Forum rules, violation of which alone will be moderated. Since you addressed me first on Smrithis, I responded.

Now to all who responded to my posting:
I am sure you all have read the following. If not, please do so.
A Day in the Life of a Brahmin from the Chapter "Grhasthasrama", in Hindu Dharma : kamakoti.org:

Who is Responsible for the Decay of Varna Dharma? from the Chapter "The Vedic Religion And Varna Dharma", in Hindu Dharma : kamakoti.org:

What I am arguing for is not about encouraging people not to follow what one thinks as our culture today. I am a Brahmin by culture and I don't shring from it. But to me what that word conveys may be different from each of yours. My argument is that some of you seem to think that only if you do X, Y and Z, you can call yourself a Brahmin. Who decides how much of the prescribed Anushtanams one has to follow? By the way, these practices are there to cleanse one's mind and to prepare for self realization, are they not? Are these then, not personal, in a world where we are all scattered around the globe, doing different things and having different circumstances? I follow my own way of dealing with all these. But, please don't tell me I am not a Brahmin, in the way I define myself.

My differences with Professor Nara Ji's views are obvious. I don't need to elaborate on them. He has his own views, many of them I consider as simply not correct. But that is m,y view. I don't agree with his solutions either. I am not very big on activism to attain a social solution. But at the same time, I admire his courage and tenacity to present his views in a Forum like this.

Sri Sarms-61 Ji opined that my views may be more dangerous than the openly expressed views of Professor Nara Ji. I am sorry he feels that way. My views are based on what I am seeing in our community. As someone said about ladies wearing salwar, things are changing. And changing rapidly. One can take the view that these changes are not correct and lament. Will they stop the changes? Will folks who are educated and are in good jobs listen folks who say that one should do this and that to safeguard our culture? Yes, as Sri Brahmanyan Ji says, I also do not know my Aapasthamba Sutra.

So the question is this? What as a community we need to focus our attention on? To me, the answer is simple. We need to safeguard, protect and aid in the Vedic heritage of our religion. This is the public charter, so to say of our community in my opinion. This is why a lot of us focus our alms giving to this chartera All other stuff like Anushtanams etc. are a private matter. The degree to which Purva Mimamsa is followed or not is a person's own proclivity, interest and most importantly a path to follow. I do not think anyone else has a say in it, in my humble opinion.

Regards,
KRS

Sir,

With all due respects, I may tell you that my English knowledge is not great, nor am I skilled in discussions or arguments, let alone debate.

Some points from your above post on which I have a different view, are given below:

My argument is that some of you seem to think that only if you do X, Y and Z, you can call yourself a Brahmin.

Sir, there seems to be some misunderstanding. I do not honestly think that any of us - S/Shri sarang, zebra, ozone, myself, and others whom I may have omitted by mistake - has said so. What I have observed in this thread at least has been responses or counter-statements to many of the opinions expressed by Shri Nara saying, in short, that brahmins, brahminism are all bad, that "the history of Brahminism does leave a lot to be desired and it will be a great day when it is finally and inevitably consigned to history books", etc.

You seem to be looking at these defensive statements as original opinions.

For my part, I will not ever say that some one born of brahmin parents, can still be considered a brahmin, only if he/she does X, Y or Z. But I will very much like, and wish that all of them make a beginning to start doing whatever those X, Y or Z may be, like the young gentleman who got retrenched and has found for himself a respectable place in society and also some income, the case I cited in my previous post.

I can understand that a youth studying for B.Tech or a person (male or female) working in shifts in a call-centre, may not be able to do many of the nityakarmas prescribed for them; but my request is that let us not therefore, justify the non-performance by saying "we cannot resist change" or things like that. It is common knowledge that under the old school or college education system (which I had) every student was expected to aim at scoring 100% in every paper/subject, though this was only an ideal on paper. But it was never thought correct to spread the view that, "Nobody will be able to do that; some students getting low marks or even failing the exam. have done well in their lives, so let us throw away this centum ideal and work on the basis that as time progresses the highest possible achievement will go on falling; and, to graft Shri Nara's idea on to this simile, "the history of such exams has not been very good as brought out by the lack of relationship between success in future life and marks obtained in the exams., so let us completely dispense with this system itself."

I will therefore say that all of us brahmins (irrespective of what % brahmins we are) hold the Grihasta Dharma outlined in the Kanchi website or as prescribed by our Acaryas, as the 100% ideal, and try, may be by short steps, to attain that goal as per our abilities and longevity, health and other relevant factors. Hope I have been able to explain my position sufficiently clearly.

Here I agree that our society, especially our Tabra society, is changing rather mindlessly in some respects. But what I see around me is that "society" which means 'caste' for this purpose, does play a crucial role in controlling such mindless changes, even if it be indirectly. Taking the case of salwar-kameez, as an example, there are many young women - married and unmarried -living and working in metro-cities of India who have been told by their Acarya to wear the traditional sari or Madisar after taking bath in the morning and then do pooja, prepare naivedyam (whether it is 'divyAnnam' or fruits or milk, whatever) and change over to their work-dress only after that. I feel this is the optimum that we may do in the present days. But to meekly accept a girl/boy wearing the same jeans for days on end, and viewing TV while sipping tea/coffee, seated on the sofa, as the first item in the morning (because he or she is working in/for a 'foreign' company and is earning a very fat salary, and is all set to emigrate to some foreign country) is not a proper ideal for any brahmin household (though I know of a few such households also). These latter kind of changes are not at all correct and I will surely lament these. If there is a concerted opinion within our tabra caste against such over-enthusiastic changes, the people/households concerned will also be sensitive and, may be, more sensible also.

As to Shri Naraji's views, I can only say that if one's mother or father has a defect or physical handicap - lame, deaf, dumb, even madness - it is no valid reason to forsake him or her and throw them out. In a similar way, there may be many defects and shortcomings in our religion, scriptures, caste system, brahminism etc. But that is no reason for us to reject all these things wholesale. Just as a son/daughter tries to look after the parents to the best of their capability, let us also look after, preserve and nurture our traditions, religion, scriptures, and all - to the best of our capabilities.

Devising omnibus solutions like "This is why a lot of us focus our alms giving to this chartera All other stuff like Anushtanams etc. are a private matter." are wrong; stuff like AcArams & anuShThAnams are not private matter imho, but societal norms and rules devolving at the individual level and hence to be followed -these are like the national flag codes or national anthem codes to be followed by each individual because the society expects you to adhere to these strictly. The "individual" argument can, at best, come for example, if a person is in ICU, is paralysed and bedridden, one is become a psychiatric patient or has got Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, dementia, amnesia, etc.

The degree to which Purva Mimamsa is followed or not is a person's own proclivity, interest and most importantly a path to follow.

The word "meemAmsa" means "mantum icchA meemAmsA" (the desire to know is what is meemAmsA). Hence the meemAmsA is the same throughout our hindu religious history. Once Sankara entered into learned debates with Kumarila Bhatta and Mandana Misra, a usage came into vogue saying what Sankara expounded was Uttara MeemAmsA and so on. But Sankara himself has never criticised any of the anuShThAnams or AcArams coming down from the vedic age among the brahmins or dwijas; on the contrary, He has recommended these in more than one place as conducive to a person becoming more eligible to attain BrahmajnAna. I suppose the other AcAryas (Ramanuja and Madhwa) also did not express an opinion as stated above by you.

So, if you hold that opinion, it is invalid and blasphemous, going against the views of the AcAryas, even at your individual level. (One may not like to tell the truth; but then let him not tell a lie.) This is not essentially different from Shri Naraji's views, except that you think by giving some charities to vEdapaThaSAlas, you can wash off your hands from all brahmanic responsibility (or, alternatively, create a type of "benami" punya balance for your use when needed). I am sorry, I cannot agree with you on this.

I agree. It was an incomplete sentence. It should have been 'moksha is not the birthright of brahmins alone'; thanks for correcting me. The context was related to some birth rights for varnas.

Dear Sarang Ji,

I think we need to come out of our 'emotional clingings' and look at situation objectively. I find both sides are clinging to their own point of views due to emotional attachment. In such a situation, what is the use of discussion? When Mandana Mishra lost the argument to Sri Shankara, he gave up on Mimamsa and took to Vedanta. When Sri Shankara lost the argument to Lord Shiva in the form of mlechcha, he wrote Manisha Panchakam and acceded to the view on sarvaathma. We need to have an open mind, not emotional. All that matters is what is the truth - Lord Swaminatha's leela of pranavopadesam is an example we need to cling to. Brahma or Shiva didnt matter to him, what mattered is the truth, no emotions. In my view, 'spirit' is what matters and 'forms' can change and this is vision of both sruti and smriti. If in this point I appear to jump the fence of defending convention, I am fine with it.

I think the view points of Ramanuja and Madhva were due to 'emotional clinging' to their 'personal diety' (ishta deivam). Attachment to even ishta deivam is often a hindrance to understanding the 'truth'. 'Aasai arumingaal aasai arumingal iisanode aayinum aasai arumingaal' - said a sage in tamil - 'give up attachment, even if it is to the iswara himself'. So, in my view, when it comes to exploring truth, if we feel we are not aligned to our aacharya, we should still go ahead with exploration. If we are found wrong, yeah, we shall correct ourselves. But, I dont agree with starting on the premise that 'I will not contradict the aacharya'. If I do that, then I wont be different from those who take a naasthika position.

Shri Kalyankumar sir,

Kindly see the portion in bold font (made by me).

You may be quite right in your views especially " when it comes to exploring truth, if we feel we are not aligned to our aacharya, we should still go ahead with exploration. If we are found wrong, yeah, we shall correct ourselves." Much will depend upon how well-learned and scholarly you are especially relating to our Dharmasastras and their inter-relationships with our vedas and other scriptures.

But, if you suppose by 'truth', the scientific variety of truth, then I am afraid (though my knowledge of science, religion and philosophy are meagre) one will ultimately end up as nAstika only because science does not recognize, nor has it been able to prove, the existence of God.

imho, religion and matters religious emanate from and are based upon a set of beliefs. To judge whether these beliefs are "true" or not is not relevant, first of all, because these are all in the realm of the mind and only in the mental world can there truth be measured or proved. To apply the principles of physical science to this is incorrect.

Because of the above and, in my case, I cannot claim to know that I know as much as the Acharyas know, I will proceed on the basis of believing what the Acharyas say. Only when you start verifying the truth in religion, you will be no different from the nAstikas; in fact you are then well on the path to nAstikam, imo.

Dear Sri sarma-61 ji,
I am very thankful for your post #213, which in my opinion is very thought provoking and convincing to me. I liked your exam analogy.
I see two distinct groups here - one wanting to get closer to the 100% and making efforts to be compliant to the Grihasta Dharma while being aware of the demands and compulsions of the changing world. This group I can emphatically say exists and they have been able to successfully engage with both the sides like the examples you give. But sadly appears to be in the minority in this site, very few to emulate, but to this group are the post by you, shri Kalyankumar and others that it is useful.

The other group whose priority and motivation is driven by the need to fully integrate with the changing world and with that mindset making minimal to no adjustments to accomodate the requirements of the Grihasta Dharma, or making their own versions of it to suit their comforts, but still clinging to community and with mighty force calling themselves the leaders or the examples of the future or forward looking Tabras. I see this set of people to be the majority and vocal here who appear to have the sense of pride in their superiority, material accomplishment and the knowledge of what progress is and make snide remarks about the former group and find joy in describing them as backward, donkeys, looneys etc.,
As you might notice, this forum encourages and empowers the latter group.

Dear Sri sarma-61 ji,
I am very thankful for your post #213, which in my opinion is very thought provoking and convincing to me. I liked your exam analogy.
I see two distinct groups here - one wanting to get closer to the 100% and making efforts to be compliant to the Grihasta Dharma while being aware of the demands and compulsions of the changing world. This group I can emphatically say exists and they have been able to successfully engage with both the sides like the examples you give. But sadly appears to be in the minority in this site, very few to emulate, but to this group are the post by you, shri Kalyankumar and others that it is useful.

The other group whose priority and motivation is driven by the need to fully integrate with the changing world and with that mindset making minimal to no adjustments to accomodate the requirements of the Grihasta Dharma, or making their own versions of it to suit their comforts, but still clinging to community and with mighty force calling themselves the leaders or the examples of the future or forward looking Tabras. I see this set of people to be the majority and vocal here who appear to have the sense of pride in their superiority, material accomplishment and the knowledge of what progress is and make snide remarks about the former group and find joy in describing them as backward, donkeys, looneys etc.,
As you might notice, this forum encourages and empowers the latter group.

Dear ozone,

I am in full agreement with most of the above, but may be because I spend limited time in internet, I have not noticed any of the epithets (backward, donkeys, looneys). Can you kindly give the relevant urls for such posts, please?

As tabras we are most of the time in a "dharmasankaTam", as we kerala tabras say; we cannot avoid earning money for our expenditure and something more to be saved, and this requires that we take to the modern ways, study, educate our children-sons as well as daughters - and so on. But when we do all these things, it is usually found that the youngsters are more attracted to the ways of modern life because those are sensually pleasing and hence they start questioning our ancient beliefs and customs from the stand-point of rational science. But I also find that, somewhat like Arunagirinathar, after a few years of enjoyment of all those sensual life style (including perhaps sex with the other gender, but I can't categorically say) some at least of these youngsters feel a great void or meaninglessness in life and, since they are fortunate to have some elders like their parents, uncles, etc., who still 'cling on' to the old life-style, they come back and take to the brahminic practices with redoubled zeal.

For foreigners and our youngsters who are compelled to bring up their children abroad, it is a very great challenge. Many foreign youth of either gender get easily attracted, especially by some of the fake swamis here, who say that sex and other sensual enjoyment are also paths to spiritual emancipation and realization, and fall into their trap finally getting molested and violated physically.

Thus, according to me this is a transitional era and we will soon find a return of the younger generation to the old brahminical ways at least in India. Let us hope so, at least.

I agree. Most of the high flying brahmin boys in their 20s and 30s, I have come across have lot of respect for our traditions, visit temples, have interest in spirituality and have nothing against nitya and other karmas. I am sure more youngsters will change for the better soon.

Thus, according to me this is a transitional era and we will soon find a return of the younger generation to the old brahminical ways at least in India. Let us hope so, at least.

Dear ozone,

I am in full agreement with most of the above, but may be because I spend limited time in internet, I have not noticed any of the epithets (backward, donkeys, looneys). Can you kindly give the relevant urls for such posts, please?

Ok, now you are cornering me and asking for evidences !!
I do not know how to do this, because I am not sure if your desire is to rip me up in public, or you want to rake up these past issues openly. There are quite a few instances that lead me to get this feeling, but I do not keep track of the specific posts. To do that would need time to scan or search through the various posts here.
Here are some samples from this thread itself
Post #168 and Post #178 will give you a general feel for the impression.
For the 'backwardness' part, sample this
Most Brahmins in my generation I come across harbor these retrograde ideas, only a few articulate them with eloquence like you are doing.
As these youngsters get older, meeting a wide variety of people, reading a variety of books, getting exposed to a wide range of ideas, increasingly reject the archaic, anachronistic and mostly fictional notion of Vedic life.
For the 'looney' part, sample this (which is actually comment to a post which has since been deleted)
But don't you think that you are harsh when you call a whole group of people's religious practices as superstitious and lunacy?
For the 'donkey' part reference this, which is by the way your own statement, which should give you
some idea of why you think so.
Assuming that the Tamil Brahmins are just a herd of donkeys or even worse, and some out of that herd have become different animals because they do not eat paper any longer or bray at all, etc., is it necessary that the rest will also stand to benefit by imitating their (reformation) ways?
Hope this helps :)

Ok, now you are cornering me and asking for evidences !!
I do not know how to do this, because I am not sure if your desire is to rip me up in public, or you want to rake up these past issues openly. There are quite a few instances that lead me to get this feeling, but I do not keep track of the specific posts. To do that would need time to scan or search through the various posts here.
Here are some samples from this thread itself
Post #168 and Post #178 will give you a general feel for the impression.
For the 'backwardness' part, sample this

For the 'looney' part, sample this (which is actually comment to a post which has since been deleted)

For the 'donkey' part reference this, which is by the way your own statement, which should give you
some idea of why you think so.

Hope this helps :)

Dear Shri ozone,

I am really sorry that I asked you for the urls; I sincerely apologize to you for that, and, in case you are elder to me in age, please accept this as my sAShTAnga namaskAram for your forgiving me.

Yes, I now understand. Usually I do not read Shri Naraji's posts because there is hardly any new idea or thinking and he seems to have somehow got into a vindictive mindset (like Vishnugupta a.k.a cANakya vs. the Nanda kings) and he will find peace only if all brahmins, or at least all Tamil Brahmins renounce all connection with being brahmins. But he is an atheist and it is not easy for everyone to discard the notion of God; the next best that most ordinary people may do is to replace one God with another. But I do not think Shri Naraji has spelt out his plans for the alternative to the brahmin customs and traditions, beliefs etc., to which the brahmins generally subscribe. Hence, I feel that his efforts at converting all the brAhmaNas into abrAhmaNas will bear fruit only if he leads us all to the promised land.

My use of the comparison with donkeys came about because of the very same consideration given above, i.e., "what does he desire should happen to them?".

I suppose the "looney" qualification came about in the concept of "yuga". Shri Nara said that in villages, the uneducated people will not even know what exactly is the time measure of one yuga; that may be right, but one will hear comments in Tamil to the effect, "we are waiting and waiting for a yugam, but there is no bus coming", "why are you so slow? It seems you will take a yugam to complete making one "eeDu" of idlis!", etc. These show that even those uneducated people know that yugam means some very long time measure.

We can liken it to their sense of measurements. For example, it will be very difficult to shortchange the villager in the matter of weights. He will know whether the veNDakkAys or katthirikkAys on the balance will make one kilo or not, inspect the metal weight (paDi) if he suspects cheating, although he may have no idea about milligram, centigram, decigram table, the definition of a standard "gram" etc.

I will recommend the anecdotal or legendary story attributed to Ford who was challenged by a learned man to answer his questions and wanted to defeat him; Ford had a panel of experts on various subjects who correctly answered all the questions put by that learned man, who then raised the objection that Ford himself was not knowledgeable at all. To this Ford replied that the very fact that he could have experts in every field working for him more than offset whatever personally he did not know, because, ultimately what mattered was whether the knowledge is there and not whether all such knowledge was centralized in one person.

Similarly, what matters in the case of the uneducated villagers is not their depth of knowledge but whether they have put their limited knowledge to their best use and advantage, imho.

Digressing a little, science now says the solar system revolves around some point in the Milkyway galaxy taking 220 to 250 million years, the spirals and the edge of the disk rotate at different speeds close to the above, etc. May be after some time we will hear from science that our milky way itself is revolving around some point in our universe at the rate of one revolution in billions of years, and so on. Hence, there can be no theoretical objection to the long time-spans given in our puranas, as such. Objection may be to the antiquity of humans, the length of each yuga, then the kalpas which have elapsed, the manvantaras and so on. But supposing the earth's magnetic axis changes 180 degrees, as now predicted by science, giving rise to cataclysmic changes on the earth's surface, is it necessary that some archaelogical remains will 'remain'? Even if they remain, whether a carbon dating will give any idea of their actual age? Even for the last 400 or so years, the experts say the radio carbon dating will not apply because of the fact that c-14 percentage has changed after the industrialization era; ages beyond 50,000 years cannot be done on the basis of c-14 because there will be no c-14 left in the sample and so all things older than that will appear the same. Just as there is reservation in the case of the after-industrialization period, we will be on unsure grounds when we talk of periods of more than 10,000 years. And to compound the difficulty, trees differentiate in absorbing c-14 and c-12; they just don't take up whatever is in the air, plus, if C is available through the root system (some evidence seems to be there for this now) then the very basis of radio-carbon dating will require changes.

Hence, there is ultimately no sanctity in relying on adio-carbon dating as inerrant; it is as good or as bad as the inerrancy of the vedas, imho, both are beliefs. period.

Dear Sri sarma-61 Ji,

I saw your posts. I will be responding your post addressed to me shortly.

Since you say that you are not well versed with internet Forums, here is some advice.

Etiquette requires that when you are conversing with someone one on one, you do not discuss someone else's pov extensively as you have done above. We do not want any back and forth here between two members about a third member's pov, as though that person is not present. This is how 'cliques' are formed.

Please address Professor Nara Ji directly with any comments you have about his postings. Hope you would agree with this.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri Sarma-61 Ji,

My response in 'blue' below:

Sir,

With all due respects, I may tell you that my English knowledge is not great, nor am I skilled in discussions or arguments, let alone debate.
I appreciate this sentiment, but withh all due respect, I have not witnessed this! :)

Some points from your above post on which I have a different view, are given below:

Sir, there seems to be some misunderstanding. I do not honestly think that any of us - S/Shri sarang, zebra, ozone, myself, and others whom I may have omitted by mistake - has said so. What I have observed in this thread at least has been responses or counter-statements to many of the opinions expressed by Shri Nara saying, in short, that brahmins, brahminism are all bad, that "the history of Brahminism does leave a lot to be desired and it will be a great day when it is finally and inevitably consigned to history books", etc.
I am not responsible for Professor Nara Ji's opinions and statements. You need to address him on that. My statement goes back to your's and others response to Sri Brahmanyan Ji's and my comments about the modern day condition of us, Brahmins.

You seem to be looking at these defensive statements as original opinions.
Are any statement by a person not his/her original opinion?

For my part, I will not ever say that some one born of brahmin parents, can still be considered a brahmin, only if he/she does X, Y or Z. But I will very much like, and wish that all of them make a beginning to start doing whatever those X, Y or Z may be, like the young gentleman who got retrenched and has found for himself a respectable place in society and also some income, the case I cited in my previous post.
But sir, that is precisely the issue. Some folks consider such a 'wish' with what is required and mandated. We all wish different things for the community. What I am saying this, please do not equate outside changes adopted by our community as something that is against our values/culture.

I can understand that a youth studying for B.Tech or a person (male or female) working in shifts in a call-centre, may not be able to do many of the nityakarmas prescribed for them; but my request is that let us not therefore, justify the non-performance by saying "we cannot resist change" or things like that. It is common knowledge that under the old school or college education system (which I had) every student was expected to aim at scoring 100% in every paper/subject, though this was only an ideal on paper. But it was never thought correct to spread the view that, "Nobody will be able to do that; some students getting low marks or even failing the exam. have done well in their lives, so let us throw away this centum ideal and work on the basis that as time progresses the highest possible achievement will go on falling; and, to graft Shri Nara's idea on to this simile, "the history of such exams has not been very good as brought out by the lack of relationship between success in future life and marks obtained in the exams., so let us completely dispense with this system itself.
Again, I am not going to respond for Professor Nara Ji - you can not have me as a proxy to talk through to him. Please do not do this in the future, as this also confuses the reader in to thinking that I agree with Professor Nara Ji's views.
My view is very simple when it comes to Nithyakarmas. It is all personal matter. Remember, religion is there to support a person's spirituality and not the other way around. If a person thinks that some practices do not suit him or appeal to him, that is his decision. In my opinion that does not make him any less a 'Brahmin'. You see, on one hand you say 'it is my wish but here you seem to say that performing the Nithyakarmas are mandatory to be a 'Brahmin'!

I will therefore say that all of us brahmins (irrespective of what % brahmins we are) hold the Grihasta Dharma outlined in the Kanchi website or as prescribed by our Acaryas, as the 100% ideal, and try, may be by short steps, to attain that goal as per our abilities and longevity, health and other relevant factors. Hope I have been able to explain my position sufficiently clearly.
'Brahmins' include all sects and I am sure all of us struggle to live by some Brahminical code. What I do not understand is, why don't you see this as within a person's purview? If I don't follow what the Acharyals' are saying, then it is an issue between myself, my family, my Guru, my Acharyals, my Gods. How does it affect anyone else? We are not like certain monotheistic religious sects to have any religious edict or sanction against such a practice.

Here I agree that our society, especially our Tabra society, is changing rather mindlessly in some respects. But what I see around me is that "society" which means 'caste' for this purpose, does play a crucial role in controlling such mindless changes, even if it be indirectly. Taking the case of salwar-kameez, as an example, there are many young women - married and unmarried -living and working in metro-cities of India who have been told by their Acarya to wear the traditional sari or Madisar after taking bath in the morning and then do pooja, prepare naivedyam (whether it is 'divyAnnam' or fruits or milk, whatever) and change over to their work-dress only after that. I feel this is the optimum that we may do in the present days. But to meekly accept a girl/boy wearing the same jeans for days on end, and viewing TV while sipping tea/coffee, seated on the sofa, as the first item in the morning (because he or she is working in/for a 'foreign' company and is earning a very fat salary, and is all set to emigrate to some foreign country) is not a proper ideal for any brahmin household (though I know of a few such households also). These latter kind of changes are not at all correct and I will surely lament these. If there is a concerted opinion within our tabra caste against such over-enthusiastic changes, the people/households concerned will also be sensitive and, may be, more sensible also.
Again, sir, peoples' attire in my opinion has nothing to do with values/culture. People wear what is comfortable. Unfortunately, if any Acharyal says something that is not listened to by many folks, then it means that may be what the Acharyal have said can be anachronistic. One can not shame or by edict/pressure change a person on how they live. There are no 'mindless' changes out there. People adopt things in their lives because they bring utility. If the religion does not accommodate, it does not matter, one can stand at the top of the hill, but no one will listen. As I have said, if the utility is not there, people will not care.

As to Shri Naraji's views, I can only say that if one's mother or father has a defect or physical handicap - lame, deaf, dumb, even madness - it is no valid reason to forsake him or her and throw them out. In a similar way, there may be many defects and shortcomings in our religion, scriptures, caste system, brahminism etc. But that is no reason for us to reject all these things wholesale. Just as a son/daughter tries to look after the parents to the best of their capability, let us also look after, preserve and nurture our traditions, religion, scriptures, and all - to the best of our capabilities.
Again, not speaking for Professor Nara Ji.

Devising omnibus solutions like "This is why a lot of us focus our alms giving to this chartera All other stuff like Anushtanams etc. are a private matter." are wrong; stuff like AcArams & anuShThAnams are not private matter imho, but societal norms and rules devolving at the individual level and hence to be followed -these are like the national flag codes or national anthem codes to be followed by each individual because the society expects you to adhere to these strictly. The "individual" argument can, at best, come for example, if a person is in ICU, is paralysed and bedridden, one is become a psychiatric patient or has got Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, dementia, amnesia, etc.
I can not disagree more. We live in free countries. Caste is abolished in India by law. National symbols unite us as one people and are not forced. What is society? It is an aggregation of individuals. Individualism is where the world is going, because of various advancements in life. You may not think so, but that is the fact. My argument is, our Brahiminical culture as you describe it, better address this to hold on to our values that are important. Just the fact that you lament on various points of non compliance tells me that the world has already moved beyond your concepts. It is not going back. It can not. So the question is simple. How one then, whatever % of a 'Brahmin' he/she is will contribute to the society.

The word "meemAmsa" means "mantum icchA meemAmsA" (the desire to know is what is meemAmsA). Hence the meemAmsA is the same throughout our hindu religious history. Once Sankara entered into learned debates with Kumarila Bhatta and Mandana Misra, a usage came into vogue saying what Sankara expounded was Uttara MeemAmsA and so on. But Sankara himself has never criticised any of the anuShThAnams or AcArams coming down from the vedic age among the brahmins or dwijas; on the contrary, He has recommended these in more than one place as conducive to a person becoming more eligible to attain BrahmajnAna. I suppose the other AcAryas (Ramanuja and Madhwa) also did not express an an opinion as stated above by you.
I said exactly what you said the Acharyal said. Please go back and read my words carefully.

So, if you hold that opinion, it is invalid and blasphemous, going against the views of the AcAryas, even at your individual level. (One may not like to tell the truth; but then let him not tell a lie.) This is not essentially different from Shri Naraji's views, except that you think by giving some charities to vEdapaThaSAlas, you can wash off your hands from all brahmanic responsibility (or, alternatively, create a type of "benami" punya balance for your use when needed). I am sorry, I cannot agree with you on this.
There is no such thing as 'blasphemous in our religion. This word is often used by the extremists in other religions. So, tell me why my words are invalid. Sir, you invoke 'punya'. This is exactly why I do not follow Purva Mimamsa, as many of you do. I do not need any Punya. This is exactly why I do not want to do any of my Nithyakarma on that basis, which most of you seem to do. What I do for my punya or papa is my business. This is exactly the issue - if I may respectfully ask, who died and made you a king to pass judgement on others or enforce your version of our culture? I do not think that is a 'Brahminical' value. Why don't you worry about how you accrue your own Punya if that is what you are looking for?

It is very clear that you are saying that unless a person does X, Y and Z, he/she is not a 'Brahmin'!
Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear Shri sarma-61, I don't want to interfere in your discussion with Shri KRS, all I want to do is provide some clarifications on your observations that relate to me.

... the opinions expressed by Shri Nara saying, in short, that brahmins, brahminism are all bad, that "the history of Brahminism does leave a lot to be desired and it will be a great day when it is finally and inevitably consigned to history books", etc.
I have never said Brahmins are all bad. The rest of the statement is fine. For a more detailed clarification on my views please see my response to Shri Narayan (zebra16) here.

..., so let us throw away this centum ideal and work on the basis that as time progresses the highest possible achievement will go on falling; and, to graft Shri Nara's idea on to this simile, "the history of such exams has not been very good as brought out by the lack of relationship between success in future life and marks obtained in the exams., so let us completely dispense with this system itself."
Please Shri sarma-61, if you want to cite me quote my exact words, do not "graft" them into whatever absurd simile you can think of to caricature my views. If you want a simile I will provide you with one, what I would like to see completely dispensed with is not a rubric but the rot.

As to Shri Naraji's views, I can only say that if one's mother or father has a defect or physical handicap - lame, deaf, dumb, even madness - it is no valid reason to forsake him or her and throw them out.
Once again Shri sarma-61 you are fabricating an invalid anology to buttress your view. The proper analogy is cutting off a gangrene infected limb in order to save one's life.

In a similar way, there may be many defects and shortcomings in our religion, scriptures, caste system, brahminism etc. But that is no reason for us to reject all these things wholesale. Just as a son/daughter tries to look after the parents to the best of their capability, let us also look after, preserve and nurture our traditions, religion, scriptures, and all - to the best of our capabilities.
You are conflating several things in this statement. I do have my views on god, religion, scripture, but I am not discussing about them here. I am not saying Brahmins of today must ditch, as you say, "all these wholesale". You are totally misrepresenting my position. I request you to refrain from doing so in the future.

This is not essentially different from Shri Naraji's views, except that you think by giving some charities to vEdapaThaSAlas, you can wash off your hands from all brahmanic responsibility (or, alternatively, create a type of "benami" punya balance for your use when needed). I am sorry, I cannot agree with you on this.
From the misquotes and false analogies you have used above to present my views, it is clear you do not have a clear understanding of my views. Now, you are taking your flawed understanding of my views and "grafting" them onto somebody else. This is not right.

If you have any issue with my views, please talk to me, please do not invoke my name or what you think are my views in this fashion.

Cheers!

Narayan, this is what everybody says, it is built around Vedic mantras, Acharyas say the one thing a Brahmin can never abandon is Sandhya, whatever he may let go, do the sandhya.This is what I was saying, contrasting it with the singing and dancing Shri kalyankumar was talking about. Taking this out of the context of the discussion and asking me for documentary evidence is the last thing I expected from you. Alright, now you tell me, is it a Vedic ritual or not?

Sri Nara Sir,

I take the liberty of responding to this post in parts due to time constrains at my end. Sure sandhya-vandanam has some vedic mantras, but it has a lot of non-vedic stuff too. For eg. the "achamanam", excepting for Vishnu and Narayana, none of the rest of the names of Vishnu finds mention in vedas (like keshava, govinda, gopala, madhusudana etc.) There is no definition of upaveetham (pooNool) in vedas. So there is no mention of "brahma mudichu" or wearing 1, 2 or 3 pooNools of 3 strands each.

It is insisted upon because of its in-built gayatri mantra japa and because gayatri japa is supposed to bestow "chitta shuddhi", thus preparing the performer to be able to go into the enquiry of brahman.

What everybody says is being carried forward by both the believers and dis-believers, but it need not be necessarily true, isn't it? Another thing everybody says is there are 33 crore devatas in hinduism. I have been asking such claimants to give me the first list of just 330 gods, but I havent been successful.

Regards,

narayan

Every opinion based on scientific criticism I welcome. As to prejudices .. to which I have never made concessions ... “Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti.” -- Karl Marx[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Shri Sangom is my reference for this. He wrote about it several times, unfortunately we don't have him posting now.

If you want historical records we will be at an impasse for the reasons I have already stated above. I can only present a reasonable argument, whether to accept it or not is your prerogative.

By the very nature of the trade, ritual and dhakshina are designed for the benefit of the Brahmana making a living. We see it acted out in the present day life. It is not unreasonable to think this was the way it was during Vedic periods also, it is human nature. I am sure not all of them were motivated just by dhakshina, but that it was for most, can be seen by story after story in purans in which Brahmanas go to the royal court in search of wealth, cattle, land etc.

WHERE DID ALL THE COWS GO?

Sri Nara Sir,

Sorry for the delayed response and response in parts. I am having time constraints presently.

It is one thing to go read story after story in puranas, but another thing to arrive at the conclusions of the stories. Let me try to explain the reason why I differ the opinion that Brahmins were usurpers and exploiters of others wealth. Let me just concentrate on wealth represented by cows.

The Vedas stipulate that there are 7 havir yajnas and 7 soma yajnas, which all the trivarNas had to perform. Of this let me focus my attention to just the recurring 4 yajnas, viz. darsha-purNa masa, (to be conducted every 15 days or fortnight), chatur-masya (once every season or four monthly), niruDa-pashubandha (once every six months – at the time of changing of ayanas), agnishtoma (once a year during spring season). The minimum requirement is 4 brahmins and it can go upto 20. Of this, let me focus just on one darsha-purna masa ishti or yajna. The dakshina, as per katyana srauta sutra is a unit of at least one cow.

The general claim that the Brahmins exploited others would stand only if the other varNas were performing the yajnas and giving the dakshina, otherwise the case of exploitation and Brahmin hegemony will fall flat on the ground. Also let us assume that the composition of one territory be comprising of 100 families to be made up of 10 brahmin families, 20 kshatriya familities, 20 vysya families and 50 others comprising shudras or nishadas or other non vedic population. Now let us see how economic condition transforms just by compelling the trivarnas to perform only one yajna, the darsha-purna masa ishti.

In every month, each of the kshatriya and vysya families will make over to the Brahmin family 8 cows as dakshina, or roughly 100 cows every year. In just about 5 years time the Brahmins would be owing all the cows in the area and the other communities would have next to nothing in terms of cows. And the vedic period of yajnas lasted at least for 1500 years, as per historians.

From the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] year onwards of yajna period, the Brahmins woud be running dairy industry and providing milk and dairy products, if it was believed that the other varnas really paid the dakshina and allowed themselves to be exploited.

So where did all the cows of the brahmins’ dakshina go? One explanation that would be handed out that there was a barter exchange and the Brahmin exchanged the cows for other requirements. But is there any textural evidences for this? I have not come across such barter trade.

Now let us see how reality is depicted in puraNas:

(i) the case of ashwattama – in maha-bharatha – son of Dronacharya – Dronacharya was so poor that ashwattama’s mother had to feed him rice-flour mixed in water that the liquid resembled milk.

(ii) the case of Sudama – in Bhagavatha Purana – who was so poor that he had to pick up the corns which had fallen on the earth to make his meal – who had to go all the way from Mathura to Dwaraka to meet Krishna.

Of course, one may dismiss the above two episodes as exceptions or exaggerations, but to be so dismissed, there should be accounts of opulence of Brahmins in the textual records. Do we find it? I do not think so.

Now let us have a reality check:

1. Notwistanding the riches in the form of cows (obtained as a result of so called dakshina), the Brahmin to the present day prays for cows (reference Shree Suktham, Chamaka prashnam etc.). Now why was the Brahmin praying for something that he was blessed in abundance?

2. At every available opportunity the Brahmin would call on the kings and rulers, participate in debates and “sadas” and would bring home cows in tens of thousands. Why was the craze for cows if he was really rich in such wealth?

3. The religious texts are full of exhortations to Brahmins regarding austerity and to eke out some portion of their lives by begging. Though there may be much merit to treat such exhortations as spiritual practice, no one can rule out the fact that this was also a teaching to prepare young Brahmins to the harsh realities of life, that they were paupers to begin with and sleeping on hungry stomach may be a forced economic condition.

4. Right from rig veda period, horses and carriage were associated with royalty. Why didnt Brahmin reach such high level of living. There is no instance of a Brahmin owning a horse/chariot and riding the same that I have come across.

5. The Brahmins of the south migrated from north at the behest of kings of South India. Do we find any account of Brahmins trekking down South with their cattle? Why did the Brahmins abandon all their cattle? The simple truth is there was no cattle wealth left with them. Nor were they having any abundance of it to begin with.

Much issue is made of Brahmins being lavished with wealth by kings. The following is the extract of a dalit website which narrates the dole out to Brahmins, women and children at the time of Chatrapathi Shivaji’s rajya-abhishekam, which is a variant of a rajasooya yajna, which is second most from the top in scale of extravaganza.

If the 50000 brahmins who attended the pattabhishekam and got paid between Rs. 3 to Rs. 5/- as against payment of Rs. 2/- to women and Re. 1/- to a child, and if this is tauted as lavishing wealth on the brahmins, all I can think is that this shows how much prejudice has overcome reason.

Sure one Brahmin, Mr. Gagabhat got paid Rs. 100000/- (as per the report) but that was not the revenue of all Brahmins in general. And that payment of Rs. 100000/- pales in comparison to the total expenditure of Rs. 42.60 million and gifts and donations made to ministers and others. You may read the details here: 38C2. Who were the Shudras PART II

Regards,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back