• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are Not Tamil Brahmins Tamilians ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
கருணாநிதி ஒரு தெலுங்கு!!!!! ராமதாஸ் இன்னொரு &a

ஹீ ஹீ ஹீ !!! கருணாநிதியே ஒரு தெலுங்கு. அவன் "பாப்பான்" ன்னு ஒரு தடவ சொன்னா ஆயிரம் தடவ "நான் ஒரு தெலுங்கு; எனக்கு தெலுங்கு பிடிக்காது; தமிழர் பிடிக்காது; இந்தி தெலுங்கு சாதிக்தான் பிடிக்கும்" ன்னு சொல்றா மாறி..

ராமதாஸ் இன்னொரு தெலுங்கு!!!!!

தமிழ்நாட்டுல தெலுங்கு நடிகர்கள் நிறையப் பேர் போல!!!

re

vijaykanth இன்னொரு தெலுங்கு....gultan gultis...:whoo::jaw::ban:

Sir,

i really dunno what to say. am just rambling below, pease treat it as a rastafarer's or wayfarer's ramble:

<<removed>>

Last edited:
Sir,

i really dunno what to say. am just rambling below, pease treat it as a rastafarer's or wayfarer's ramble:

A poet and a philosopher! You would be fearsome if you actually knew what to say -- given that you say so much when you don't know what to say.

Oh that Perrier .... I only drink French water you know. Very touchy. Is that what we are talking about?

Is that what we are talking about?

sir,

it came out like maggie 2-minute-noodles, the result of being stunned. yes i suppose it was out of context. please give me time to re-read and chew on this. will reply slowly, but am thinking that all those ppl who posted here are now posting no more. so, it might be sorta pointless.

From the springs of Vergese in the South of France -- thats where Perrier comes from. No he is not Telugu or Tamil. He is French. What has chewing got to do with Perrier?

are we flirting ? :) no sir, i don't like perrier. i prefer it on the rocks, not many females do, they dilute it with perrier or any water. btw, it is supposed to make me embarrased and ashamed many a time. i cudn't chew it, nor gulp it, so i just left it.

Periyar=Elder;Thanthai=Father;An honorific title for the tamil social reformer from the Kannada Land!At least he was an Indian,some small mercy there!

Thanthai Periyar=Elder Father of Tamil Atheists society.Since Kazhagams have been born from this illegitimate DK,other Kazhagams are following this dingbats ideas,which are essentially communist.Naxal Bari Lal Saalam!In India,wherever there is domination of matriarchal society,you will soon find communism taking foothold...

sb

In India,wherever there is domination of matriarchal society,you will soon find communism taking foothold...

The protagonist as Ravana played by EVR in this story happened to be from a patriarchial society...

Now am sorta able to understand the anger tambrams have against the telugu speaking folk in a way, just wished that posters such as kspv and kchandra, who i hope to assume were both raised in andhra, had chosen some other place to voice their stuff.

Also makes me wonder what am i doing here at all, and is it worthwhile....

re

>>The protagonist as Ravana played by EVR in this story happened to be from a patriarchial society...

Now am sorta able to understand the anger tambrams have against the telugu speaking folk in a way, just wished that posters such as kspv and kchandra, who i hope to assume were both raised in andhra, had chosen some other place to voice their stuff.

Also makes me wonder what am i doing here at all, and is it worthwhile....<<

There are matriarchal families plus patriarchal families in Tamil Nadu.But as rightly pointed out,TN is patriarchal society.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.tamilnation.org/asx/senthamizh.asx

செந்தமிழ் நாடெனும் போதினிலே - இன்பத்
தேன் வந்து பாயுது காதினிலே - எங்கள்
தந்தையர் நாடென்ற பேச்சினிலே - ஒரு
சக்தி பிறக்குது மூச்சினிலே (செந்தமிழ்)

-------------------------------------------

Kavi Bharathiar extols Tamils....Engal Thanthaya Nadendra Paychinilay Oru Shakthi Pirakkudu.....(Our Fatherland from where arises a power...)apart from Tamils,its the Deutchlanders(Germany=Germ + Many ) who also say Father Land.

Furthermore, the anti-Brahmin movement tended to ignore the many caste differences that existed among the non-Brahmin Tamils and failed to address the oppression practised by one non-Brahmin caste on another non-Brahmin caste. It is a failure that continues to haunt the Tamil national movement even today.

Support for the negative contributions that E.V.R. made in the area of social reform and to rational thought, should not prevent an examination of where it was that he went wrong. Again, it may well be that E.V.R. represented a necessary phase in the struggle of the Tamil people.

EVR was a Kannadiga just like Jayalalitha today.But since they have identified heart & soul to TN,they are technically Tamils,of Indian nationality.Same with Rajnikanth,who is Marathi who initially was identified with Kannadigas,but now a Tamil,of Indian nationality.

Dunno about you,though?AS for angst of Tambrams,in India every region is paraochial.And this i say,becoz i have lived and grown in most of the metroploitan cities of India.

Medru,Madrasi ( Mad Rasis) Paarppan,Paarppathi,Iyerrrr,Aryan,Tamilu..etc are the adjectives with which my fellow countrymen had addressed me while being in India.Do i feel bad about it?Yes.But that is how life is.People like to say or do evil things,which is also part of human nature.Only if evil is there,then good can triumph over it.So,i triumphed over those dingbats.

sb

This Theory of Ariyan the Dravidan parties take it from Nehru's book called the Discovery of India. Nehru copied most of things from Maxmuller and other Travel writters books.On those days any body comments about Nehru is "Desa Trogi" and Talking or criticize Darvidan partes is A Tamil Thogi, No one came forward to fight against them.

Who cares about this rubbish called aryan and dravidian?

How on earth is it going to help someone earn a living, except those who wanna make money out of divisiveness?

And who really cares who came from where?

All this gene thingy, screwed up history crap, and whatever is this rubbish thing called religion and all, what purpose does it serve in allowing anyone make a life?

it seems to me that a certain section of dalits and a certain section of brahmins will never change.

oh well, i've had enuf of this nonsense called religion, caste, history, aryan, dravidian and whatever crap.

Talking about Tamilians, I have seen that the Tamil Brahmins from the Tanjore region refusing to accept the Tamil Brahmins from Palghat as Tamilians. The fact is that till 1956 Palghat was part of Madras presidency. These Tamilians have preserved their Tamil culture in spite of facing heavy odds. Then the Brahmins of Chola Nadu do not accept even the Brahmins of Pandya Nadu as Tamilians. Talk about prejudices.

Again the question is Who is a Tamilian? The question has become important because of the linguistic division of states and the names. A Tamilian is one who is resident of Tamil Nadu. This is the general definition. The question of mother tongue should not come into the picture. Even Bal Thackeray admitted earlier that Maharashtrian is one who resides in Maharashtra irrespective of language spoken.

But this is a political issue. In Kerala there was a widely used term called Keralites which included all residents of Kerala. But now they have also started using the term Malayalee more often.

As an aside quoting Bharathiar

பார்ப்பானை ஐயரென்ற காலமும் போச்சே
வெள்ளை பறங்கியை துரையென்ற காலமும் போச்சே

Bharathiar was not approved by the Brahmin community when he was alive because of his liberal views. Neither is he now the favorite of the community. A thread was started here just to pour scorn on him.

Bal Thackeray group already tried making a so-called ideal model of who is a marathi manoos and who is not. But apparently they cud not get around to making straight jacketed definitions like the kazhagam goondas. First they were anti-southindians, now they are anti-northindians. God forbid if they use more divisiveness to serve as election platforms.

The prob is probably because all of us are thinking that religion, caste, language, history, and such useless things are an acceptable factors when it comes to deciding on voting.

re

Bal Thackeray group already tried making a so-called ideal model of who is a marathi manoos and who is not. But apparently they cud not get around to making straight jacketed definitions like the kazhagam goondas. First they were anti-southindians, now they are anti-northindians. God forbid if they use more divisiveness to serve as election platforms.

The prob is probably because all of us are thinking that religion, caste, language, history, and such useless things are an acceptable factors when it comes to deciding on voting.

When i was living in Chennai,some of my kazhagam friends used to say,we will continue to stick to our idealogy,similiarly you stick to your dharma.Its a competetion.But when i pointed out,that a rule should be a rule to all.Instead Kazhagams are discriminatory.They single out only Tamil Brahmins who are a minority and we do not take upto arms to quell opposition for us.

The women of Tamil Brahmins have faced the brunt of nasty treatment,under the Kazhagam men/women.But today owing to education,oppurtunity as well as superior performance in jobs,tamil brahmin women are victorious in their undertakings.

sb

The women of Tamil Brahmins have faced the brunt of nasty treatment,under the Kazhagam men/women.

I suppose the women being TB or not becomes apparent when one is from the same community...score of women from various communites got treated worse - why overlook that. Someone i know was posted in a hospital a litle outskirts of chennai city - and the lady had a horrible time being asked to conduct abortions for women these self-appointed politicians had used..there used to be girls as young as 18 or 19 these men had ruined...after a few years, the lady chose to quit service since she was not getting a transfer out of that place....when one is aware of the threat of the parangs, knives and all that, who is ever going to talk about these things openly.

Instead of attaching caste labels, lets look at it this way:- we are talking about people who are plain goondas but calling themselves politicians - such people don't really care abt caste, they just abuse the masses with such ideas for self-promotion to use as election platforms. Why associate everyone with caste? That's why am amazed that someone here chose to write the caste of even people like sridevi, an actress of all people (what for? probably she herself is either not aware of her caste or forgot it while prancing around trees).

>>score of women from various communites got treated worse<<

Plz go to other such websites of various communities,as this website pertains to Tamil Brahmin community.

sb

re

Are you a self-appointed spokesman for this website? Do you own it?

This is how some members have posted,now your reaction,just confirmed my reaction at heart.Thnx and sorry i used you as bait.

sb

Am writing this in the hope that kspv reads this since I just noticed he edited an entry in Jan 2009 (was writing this while a distraction came up as above). If kchandra comes around, hope he will read this too (please note, am not a kamma, and do not know much abt cultures followed in kamma households):

Reg K.Chandra's comments on Iyengars, please note this: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showpost.php?p=17702&postcount=5 Probably those rumors were created by people who had nothing better to do than malign people based on caste just because they were successful.

Reg Kammas, so far in Andhra, population differentiation tests have showed a slight differentiation b/w these caste populations: Kapu Naidu, Kapu Reddy and Kamma. Plz refer: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18906799 . Amongst the 3, only Kamma is considered as having a northindian input. Please note that a person might be of any caste, as say belonging to Kapu or Reddy, socially in the present time, but he may end up clustering more with the Kamma grouping. Similarly, a person maybe a Kamma currently socially, but may end up clustering more with Naidu or Reddy grouping (all are mixed populations). The populations of brahmin, raju, komati, kamma, kapu, reddy and lambadi in Andhra Pradesh are decidedly mixed groups. It is understood that descendents from the previous caste system (that came about by tribal admixtures) came to be scattered across various present day castes. All of these mixed populations or given individuals across these castes very likely shared common origins / a set of founding members.

After I spoke to a person, I understand this: Though perhaps the name Kamma is recent, but certain given members of this community must have existed under some other name before gene inflow happened. So, kamma must have been an old endogamous unit (otherwise population differentiation wud not show up as it has been found). No one knows what those older groups were named. And those existing groups received a northie input; and the output spread across various new-age castes (including andhra brahmin).

The person was also of opinion that though it is not known when this northindian input into native population occurred, it might have occurred a very long time ago (sufficient to allow differentiation to show up), probably during the buddhist times. And from that merger, several descendents found their way into various present day castes. For a general idea of which castes aligns more with the other, you may wish to look at page 3 of this article for color coding (kamma is the green one there): http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2156-7-28.pdf

Coming to stories which probably may never be authenticated, kammas have generally held that a group of brahmins came off as an off-shoot from them. Possibly true, since andhra regions in buddhist times did have many preachers and teachers whose descendents might have found their way into the andhra brahmin population groups. i may wish to consider that they came down from the active buddhist beds such as bihar (which again explains the regional input).

Generally, it is possible to find individuals from all 3 - reddy, naidu, kamma groups clustering with speakers from kannada and marathi groups; and at times even sindhi speaking ones. However, there is no historical proof to show any old ancient migration from Pakistan-Sindh areas into Andhra. But it maybe likely such a migration did happen (probably after spreading across Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Orissa, etc). Not strangely, all of these groups (telugu, kannada, marathi and sindhi) follow the lunar calendar, and minus the sindhi, quite a few customs b/w the telugu, kannada and marathi folk are common as well. In that way, I may want to consider that possibly apart from the ‘sani’ concept of an unofficial wife, the naming pattern for kammas may perhaps be related to the sindhi “ani” concept. But only a historian can offer any explanation or clarity on that.

>>KSPV: By the way, have you gone into the literature that says that Nairs of Kerala, Bunds of Karnataka, and Nattars of Tamilnadu, originate from the same Nayaka stock, which the Kammas claim they are from?<<

Nayaka is a title, not a stock. Culturally, nairs and bunts are matrilineal, kapus and reddys (who also use the naidu title) are patrilineal, am not yet clear abt kamma traditions since i might consider them as having yerukula cultural input wrt to such stuff. Abt Nattars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nattar

It may be possible that common population were shared amongst all of the above, from a mix of various tribes that mingled up during the mahabharat times and came down south in the ancient times (1500-1000BC? sometime before buddhism took root). They were possibly large groups (defeated soldiers / infantry units?) that created agro-pastoral dwellings and settled into cultivation mode over time. In that, i might include individuals who are found in the present day castes such as Kurmi, Kunbi, Sinhala Karava (who btw tend to interchange sounds of Ka and Ga and can refer to Kurukulam as Gurukulam during spoken language due to regional ticks) as well as individuals spread across various castes from the northern populations. In a way that also probably explains why there is no diff b/w given individuals spread across sinhalese and tamil groups in srilanka. Taken together, all these populations (in India) would probably add to atleast more than half of India’s total population.

As regards the discussion on komatis, they are generally understood as being the sanskritized or vegetarianized version of other trading units such as balijas. I have not come across the Brahmin-Oddar connection to any Komti origin, since Oddars are not found in Andhra and Komatis do have an Andhra origin.

All said and done, kspv is not entirely wrong in his assumption abt brahmanical connections reg recent nayaka origins either. In Tamilnad, it is fairly understood that two (at the last count) nayakas came about by niyoga (eg: one nayaka had nearly 300 wives, abt 67 official ones i guess, but only one son, who is whispered as a niyoga product). Those nayaka appointees were desperate for male heirs given the number of deaths at that time, and on rare occassions also accepted children born to them from concubines (eg: krishnadeva raya was an illegitimate child and so i wonder at one group claiming spiritual heirship and all that - i say this to let you know that the descendents cud well be existing as a diff ‘caste’ in the present time. The children of maratha kings who subjugated/took nayaka women as concubines/wives have apparently merged into the maratha caste group). It is also understood that whenever these nayaka people did not have children (or had children who had died), they mostly adopted a child born of a brahmin couple, for the simple reason that these folk being trustworthy will not lay any sort of claim on the child later. There seem to have been atleast 5 such adoptions.

However, all these incidences were restricted to just small groups; and will not apply to all telugus (kapus, kammas, velamas, etc) who came in as traders / cultivators seeking a livelihood. It certainly does not apply to non-tamilnad regions. Therefore, kspv, i am quite taken aback by the statement that to hate a brahmin, one must have brahmin blood coming from a person of andhra brahmin origin; since i do not seem to find anyone hating a brahmin anywhere.

One explanation you have offered is that telugu brahmins are just 1% of total populations and not economically strong. So they were not targeted. But I may wish to say with strange confidence, that very surely even if they were the richest or largest, still there wud be no anti-brahmin movement in these linguistic groups, for the simple reason that there has never been a single incident where a telugu brahmin or kannada brahmin is ever known to have used the word shudran as a derogatory expletive in the public arena (ego-clashes), nor did they have any sangam culture or all that which cud be portrayed as some kinda unique non-brahmin culture by vested interests. Even now elderly folk proudly look to their telugu folk irrespective of caste as mana manishulu, never separate. The contributions of telugu brahmins to arts like carnatic music is immeasurable, but what makes people respect them is their humility. I do not think they made unwarranted claims of superiority in the past either, given that everyone’s roles were rightfully not comparable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back