• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
appreciation

A young man went to apply for a managerial position in a big company. He passed the initial tests and panel interview, and then had to meet the director for the final interview.

The director discovered from his CV that the youth's academic achievements were excellent, so he asked, "Did you obtain any scholarships?" The young man answered "no".

"Was it your father who paid for you to go to college?"

"My father passed away when I was young, it was my mother who paid for my education.” he replied.
"Where did your mother work?"

"She took in washing," replied the young man, blushing at what this important man must think of such menial work.

The director asked him to show him his hands. He looked at a pair of hands that were smooth, and strong and perfectly manicured.

"Have you ever helped your mother wash the clothes before?" he asked.

"Never, my mother always wanted me to study and read more books. Besides, she can wash clothes much better than me."

The director said, "You seem to be an excellent candidate, but I have a request. When you go home today, go and clean your mother's hands, and then come back and see me tomorrow morning."

The young man felt that his chances of landing the job were very high, and went home feeling jubilant. When he got home, he remembered what the director had said and he fetched a bowl of water, some soap and a flannel and asked his mother to let him wash her hands. His mother felt strange at this request. Happy, but with mixed feelings, she offered her hands to her son.

He cleaned his mother's hands slowly, and as he did so tears started to roll down his face. It was the first time he had noticed that his mother's hands were so wrinkled, the knuckles were swollen and gnarled, and there were so many small abrasions and bruises on them. Some abrasions were so painful that his mother winced when he touched them.

For the first time he realized that it was this pair of hands that had done laundry for strangers day after day to enable him to go to college and university. The injuries to his mother's hands were the price that his mother had had to pay for his education and his future.

After cleaning his mother hands, he quietly washed and ironed all the remaining clothes for her and folded them neatly ready for collection the next day.

That night, mother and son talked for a very long time.

The next morning, he went back to the director's office.

The director noticed the tears that sprang into the young man's eyes, when he asked: "Can you tell me what you learned yesterday when you went home?"

The young man answered," I washed my mother's hands, and also finished washing all the remaining clothes. I know now what appreciation is. Without my mother, I would not be who I am today. By helping my mother I now realize how difficult and tough it is to get something done on your own. And I have come to appreciate the importance and value of helping one’s family."

The director said, "This is what I am looking for in a manager. I want to a person who can appreciate the help of others, a person who knows the sufferings of others to get things done, and a person who does not put money as his only goal in life.”

“You are hired.”

He worked very hard, and received the respect of his subordinates. He respected the work of every employee, and worked diligently alongside them as a team.

A child, who has been protected and given whatever he wants, can develop a feeling of "entitlement" and may always put him/herself first. Ignorant of the efforts made by the people around. When such children become adults and start work, they may assume that every person must listen to them, and if they become a manager, they are often unable to understand the day to day struggles of the employees who work for them. These kinds of people, who may be good academically, and may be successful for a while, eventually find no sense of achievement. They will grumble and be forever disatisfied and always fighting for more.

If we are overprotective parents, are we really showing love or are we spoiling our children instead?

You can provide your child with a comfortable life in a big house, eating good meals, learning to play the piano, watching movies and playing games on a big screen TV. But when you are cutting the grass, please let them experience it. After a meal, let them wash their plates and bowls together with their brothers and sisters. It is not because you do not have money to hire a maid, it is because you want to love them in the right way. One of the most important things your child can learn is how to appreciate the effort, and experience the difficulty of day to day life, and to learn how to work with others to get things done.

Short Story - The Interview - The English Magazine

Dear PJ sir,
Nice post but at the same time I would like just give my comments on this:

The director said, "This is what I am looking for in a manager. I want to a person who can appreciate the help of others, a person who knows the sufferings of others to get things done, and a person who does not put money as his only goal in life.”

I agree with this but the director has to bear in mind that all these qualities do not sprout over night..its takes time to function in this mode.

Most employers do not take this into consideration.

I remember when I was a junior intern and first day of internship was a depressing shocker!

No one told us that we had to work for almost 16 hours without a break and without even having time to eat or bathe.

We actually used to take some 5 minutes to bathe in the patients general bathroom in a general ward in the government hospital becos we hardly got time to go back to our quarters to bathe!

Eating was if you are lucky you get the time to eat there was no specific allotted time for food.

Then we have consultants that deserved to be crucified who would shout and scream at interns for no reason at all..keep yelling at us that we are should have compassion for patients and then they start of their Puranams of praising themselves that they were great when they were our age..they had compassion for patients and we were inhumane and mechanical etc.

These good for nothing sort of consultants never took into any consideration that the perfect doctor takes time to develop compassion for others.

Firstly when a person is new to a job he/she needs to get a foothold on the situation before he/she can go into Mother Theresa mode.

No one addressed that and many of us interns felt hatred to the profession on the first day of our job and thought "why the hell did I chose this field?"

So this can make or break a person.

An employer has to realize that the perfect employee is made and not born.

As an employer I know the strength and weakness of all my staff and I guide them individually when the situation arises at times I might actually end up doing their work once in a while just to demonstrate the job..so that learning becomes easier.

So sometimes when we interview a person we might not really know how he or she works out till they join the job and they grow as we guide them.

If I meet any of my ex consultants I wish I could slap them and tell them on their face what makes a perfect doctor!LOL

Thanks for the nice story P J Sir. But I wonder how this bright guy (since he gets the job) doesn't even care to see or

touch his mother's hands? Is he so selfish to treat his mother just as a provider and not someone to be shown love? :noidea:

Thanks for the nice story P J Sir. But I wonder how this bright guy (since he gets the job) doesn't even care to see or

touch his mother's hands? Is he so selfish to treat his mother just as a provider and not someone to be shown love? :noidea:

Dear RR ji,

But do we actually touch our parent's hands?

Dear All,

The moral story is whomever give their life for the sake of others are always ignored unless otherwise the person themselves out of compassion realizes their utility and importance. Even every housewife is ignore in this way without getting proper credit..Even husbands are ignored by demanding wives...sub ordinates are ignored by domineering managers..the list is end less..That's why we never care for patriots, freedom fighters, social workers like baba amte , even traffic constable, nurses, our jawans , even share auto wallah, even servers in hotels, even child workers,etc.,,,

r.vaithehi

...... But do we actually touch our parent's hands?
My younger sister and I gave a nice massage to our dad's shoulders on the day he helped another doctor in surgical operation.

(My dad was the anesthetist). He used to like the warm hands doing the job with fondness.

We also admired his kind heart and his hands which were helping a lot of poor people.

We used to keep mehandhi in our mom's fingers. So we know how their hands look and feel. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back