• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A Few Glimpses from South Indian History

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the absence of personal acquaitance in the Internet forums, discussions tend to be sensitive and emotional on both sides and it is difficult for members, especially a young member, to do the kind of tight-rope walking expected, at all times. This does not mean that a member is justified in any deliberate personal remarks.

sai,

i think it is best to be age, gender neutral here. i am 60+ and am guilty of emotional outburst sometimes borddering raving mad. each time i resolve that this would be my last and hence on i would conduct the best of behaviour. but, only i know how many times i have failed.

so i tend to be tolerant to otheres, for the simple reason that i need to be tolerant to myself too. it is best that we treat each other as eequals. atleast then, i hope the hurt does not pierce deep.

not sure if what i say makes snese. if not, just treat it as another raving from moi :)

sai,

i think it is best to be age, gender neutral here. i am 60+ and am guilty of emotional outburst sometimes borddering raving mad. each time i resolve that this would be my last and hence on i would conduct the best of behaviour. but, only i know how many times i have failed.

so i tend to be tolerant to otheres, for the simple reason that i need to be tolerant to myself too. it is best that we treat each other as eequals. atleast then, i hope the hurt does not pierce deep.

not sure if what i say makes snese. if not, just treat it as another raving from moi :)

Shri Kunjuppu,

When members get emotional in response to personal comments, innuendos, etc., it is understandable but when discussing mere topics which are not directly telling upon any particular person, people start adopting a highly emotionally charged approach; that is puzzling. Perhaps they feel they will be able to win their arguments more easily in this way.

namaste shrI P.V.Iyer,

Truly enlightening, your post no.450. Coupled with your post no.441, you are indeed a true reformer--one who upholds the tradition and at the same time takes exception to any odd practises under name of tradition, unlike the other reformers here and elsewhere who seek to condemn everything that is Hindu and brahmin.

Dear Sri suraju06 Ji,

I have reread both Sri Sangom's comments and your's several times now very carefully. Because you prefaced the sentence of 'Brahmins do not think this way' with 'This is your view', the issue is there.

You say you have meant it differently. Okay, I can see that as well. So, yes, I take your statement at face value. Let us move forward. Since I left your comments intact in Sri Sangom Ji's response, let us leave it at that.

It is tiresome on my part to go through each and every post in detail - this is because of the recent name callings that happened here. So, I am extra vigilant.

I try not to use the red ink, unless it is for Moderation. I retain that right for the future.

Regards,
KRS
Dear Super Moderator,

When Mr. Sangom said something about brahmanas, i replied that brahmins did not think it that way. May be my converting brahmanas to brahmins was wrong! I did not mean any disrespect to Sangom as he as well you have interpreted it to mean. And you have to accept my statement on its face value because I don't tell lies.Please withdraw your remarks.Cheers.

Last edited:
namaste smt.HH and others.

With my very limited acquaitance with the Vedic texts, I can collect the following details regarding the queries of smt.HH, which I would like to share:

1) In the tradition of the trayi-veda, it is said that the Rig mentions only 3 vedas. Would that mean the Rig did not recognise the Atharva-veda as a veda ? If yes, why?

The Rig does mention the word atharvan. But for 13 times it refers to a person named atharvan and for 3 times it refers to a group called atharvans. When the Rig mentions atharvan and the atharvans, why does it not mention or recognise their veda, that is, the atharva-veda?

Dr.V.Gopalan, retired professor of Sanskrit, who researched the kaushika gRhya sUtram of the atharva veda for his doctrate, in a brief introductory Tamizh book on this veda published by the famous KaDalangguDi Publications, Chennai says this among other things about the importance of the Atharva Veda.

Some more important details about the Atharva Veda

•In the introduction to his bhAShya--commentary, of AV, shrI SAyaNa says:

ऐहिकामुष्मिक फलम् चतुर्थम् व्यासि कीर्शति

aihikAmuShmika phalam chaturtham vyAsi kIrshati

"The various sukha-samRtti phalas relating to this and the other worlds are spoken only in the fourth veda which is the AtharvaNa Veda."

• Apart from the laukika viShayas, adhyAtma mantras relating to viShayas such as brahmaprApti that are found here are rare to be seen elsewhere.

• In the same way, in the descriptions and details of yajnas too, this remains in competition with the other Vedas. In the Rg Veda itself from the mantras such as:

ते हि प्रजाया अभरन्त वि श्रवो बृहस्पतिर् वृषभः सोमजामयः ।
यज्ञैरथर्वा प्रथमो वि धारयद् देवा दक्षैर् भृगवः सं चिकित्रिरे ॥ १०.०९२.१० ॥

te hi prajAyA abharanta vi shravo bRuhaspatir vRuShabhaH somajAmayaH |
yaj~jairatharvA prathamo vi dhArayad devA dakShair bhRugavaH saM chikitrire || 10.092.10 ||

10.092.10 Inasmuch as Br.haspati, the showerer (of benefits) and the kindred of Soma (the Visvedeva_s), bestow food (for the support) of people, Atharvan was the first to invigorate (the gods) with sacrifices; with strength the gods and Bhr.gus discovered (the cattle). [With strength: i.e., with the strength acquired from the sacrifice which they had eaten; having gone to the sacrifice made by Atharvan, they discovered the cattle; cf. RV 1.83.5].--Tr.H.H.Wilson

• and the following, it is mentioned that the yajna-karma relates to the atharvan (who practises this veda).

त्वाम् अग्ने पुष्कराद् अध्य् अथर्वा निर् अमन्थत ।
मूर्ध्नो विश्वस्य वाघतः ॥ ६.०१६.१३ ॥

tvAm agne puShkarAd adhy atharvA nir amanthata |
mUrdhno vishvasya vAghataH || 6.016.13 ||

6.016.13 The sage, Atharvan, extracted you from upon the lotus-leaf, the head, the support of the universe. [tvam pus.kara_d adhi atharvo nirmanthata, murdhno vis.vasya va_ghatah: pus.kara_dadhi = pus.karaparn.e, lotus-leaf; pus.kara parn.e praja_patir bhu_mim aparthayat = upon the lotus-leaf praja_pati made manifest the earth, a probable acount of the creation in Manu; since it supported the earth, it may be termed the head, mu_rdhan, or the bearer, va_ghata for va_haka, of all things; atharvan means pra_n.a, vital air extracted fire or animal heat from the water, pra_n.a udakasaka_s'a_d Agnim nis'es.an.a mathitava_n; va_ghata = r.tvij, the ministrant priest; so the sentence is explained: all the priests churned you out of the head or top of the wood of attrition].--Tr.H.H.Wilson

3) Is there any sangam literature which mentions the word "atharva" or "atharvan"?

Not that I can search of. The Vedas are usually referred to in general terms in the Tamizh Sangham texts, by associate Tamizh names which include:

arumaRai--the ultimate truth, kELvi--shruti, nAnmaRai--four vedas, mudhu-mozhi--ancient word, ezhudAk-kaRpu--learned without writing, cheyyA-mozhi--uncomposed text, otthu--chanted, AraNam--in silappadhikAram. Probably, the only Sanskrit equivalent used for Vedas in these texts is shruti--as suruthi in paripADal--kaDavuL vAzhtthu, 18.

6) Why is "Agnibhuh" of the atharva-veda supposedly considered Murugan?

Here is an interesting link to the connection of Murugan with the Vedas:
SOUTHERN ORIGINS AND CONNECTIONS

7) AFAI have read, i find that the agnistoma sacrifice and the rajasuya conseceration occurs in the atharva-veda and not in the Rig-Veda (could this mean that those who were conducting these were originally atharva-vedis?) .

I think the agniShThoma procedure is mentioned in jaiminIya brAhmaNa of the sAma veda. Here is a link:
The Jyotiṣṭoma ritual: Jaiminīya ... - Google Books

Similarly, the rAjasUya yajna text is found in the shatapatha brAhmaNa of the shukla yajur veda, as per this essay:
Ritual, state, and history in South ... - Google Books

Dr.V.Gopalan, retired professor of Sanskrit, who researched the kaushika gRhya sUtram of the atharva veda for his doctrate, in a brief introductory Tamizh book on this veda published by the famous KaDalangguDi Publications, Chennai says this among other things about the importance of the Atharva Veda.

Some more important details about the Atharva Veda

•In the introduction to his bhAShya--commentary, of AV, shrI SAyaNa says:

ऐहिकामुष्मिक फलम् चतुर्थम् व्यासि कीर्शति

aihikAmuShmika phalam chaturtham vyAsi kIrshati

"The various sukha-samRtti phalas relating to this and the other worlds are spoken only in the fourth veda which is the AtharvaNa Veda."

• Apart from the laukika viShayas, adhyAtma mantras relating to viShayas such as brahmaprApti that are found here are rare to be seen elsewhere.
Dear Shri Saidevo,

Thankyou very much for this info. Was told that quite a lot of mantras from atharva-veda are rarely found elsewhere. Now that you have mentioned this, i shall try to find info on the mantras relating to specific vishayas.

• In the same way, in the descriptions and details of yajnas too, this remains in competition with the other Vedas. In the Rg Veda itself from the mantras such as:

ते हि प्रजाया अभरन्त वि श्रवो बृहस्पतिर् वृषभः सोमजामयः ।
यज्ञैरथर्वा प्रथमो वि धारयद् देवा दक्षैर् भृगवः सं चिकित्रिरे ॥ १०.०९२.१० ॥

te hi prajAyA abharanta vi shravo bRuhaspatir vRuShabhaH somajAmayaH |
yaj~jairatharvA prathamo vi dhArayad devA dakShair bhRugavaH saM chikitrire || 10.092.10 ||

10.092.10 Inasmuch as Br.haspati, the showerer (of benefits) and the kindred of Soma (the Visvedeva_s), bestow food (for the support) of people, Atharvan was the first to invigorate (the gods) with sacrifices; with strength the gods and Bhr.gus discovered (the cattle). [With strength: i.e., with the strength acquired from the sacrifice which they had eaten; having gone to the sacrifice made by Atharvan, they discovered the cattle; cf. RV 1.83.5].--Tr.H.H.Wilson

• and the following, it is mentioned that the yajna-karma relates to the atharvan (who practises this veda).

त्वाम् अग्ने पुष्कराद् अध्य् अथर्वा निर् अमन्थत ।
मूर्ध्नो विश्वस्य वाघतः ॥ ६.०१६.१३ ॥

tvAm agne puShkarAd adhy atharvA nir amanthata |
mUrdhno vishvasya vAghataH || 6.016.13 ||

6.016.13 The sage, Atharvan, extracted you from upon the lotus-leaf, the head, the support of the universe. [tvam pus.kara_d adhi atharvo nirmanthata, murdhno vis.vasya va_ghatah: pus.kara_dadhi = pus.karaparn.e, lotus-leaf; pus.kara parn.e praja_patir bhu_mim aparthayat = upon the lotus-leaf praja_pati made manifest the earth, a probable acount of the creation in Manu; since it supported the earth, it may be termed the head, mu_rdhan, or the bearer, va_ghata for va_haka, of all things; atharvan means pra_n.a, vital air extracted fire or animal heat from the water, pra_n.a udakasaka_s'a_d Agnim nis'es.an.a mathitava_n; va_ghata = r.tvij, the ministrant priest; so the sentence is explained: all the priests churned you out of the head or top of the wood of attrition].--Tr.H.H.Wilson
As i already mentioned in my post above, the rigveda does mention the word atharvan. But for 13 times it refers to a person (the sage) named atharvan and for 3 times it refers to a group called atharvans. However, the Rig does not mention or recognise the veda of the atharvans, that is the atharva-veda. Why?

Am getting more interested in the atharva-veda because there are some indications that this veda was juxtaposed or supplanted with verses from the Rig. The 20th book of atharva-veda, with the exception of the kuntâpasûktini, is literally a verbatim repetition of mantras contained in the Rig-veda (How can that happen unless interloped or supplanted?). More info here: Atharva-Veda: text - IntraText CT

Additionally what causes me more interest is the mention of Indra giving the arunmukha yatis to wolves in the Kaushitaki Upanishad of the Rigveda (in adhyaya 3.1):

"...trishirshanam tvashtram ahanam arunmukhan rishin shalavrikebhyah prayaccham...divi prahaladiyaan triye-mahamantraigye pauloman pritivyaam kaalakhanjan.."

Rough translation of this verse is:
Indra says this to Pratardana, the son of Divodasa:
I slew the three-headed son of Tvashtri. I gave the arunmukha (yati ascetics) to the wolves (shalavrikas). I broke many treaties and killed the people of Prahlada, Puloma and Kalakang..Not one hair of me was harmed. He who knows me thus, by no deed of his is his life harmed, not by the murder of his mother, not by the murder of his father, not by theft, not by the killing of a Brahman..

The arunmukha yatis were called arur-magha in the aitareya brahmana and some notes on them in given here: (page 511-512): Essays On Indo-Aryan Mythology-Vol. - Google Books

It is quite apparent that the vedic period presents itself as a period of struggle between groups of people (perhaps nations with diverse cultures / customs) from which Indra emerged victorious.

Not that I can search of. The Vedas are usually referred to in general terms in the Tamizh Sangham texts, by associate Tamizh names which include:

arumaRai--the ultimate truth, kELvi--shruti, nAnmaRai--four vedas, mudhu-mozhi--ancient word, ezhudAk-kaRpu--learned without writing, cheyyA-mozhi--uncomposed text, otthu--chanted, AraNam--in silappadhikAram. Probably, the only Sanskrit equivalent used for Vedas in these texts is shruti--as suruthi in paripADal--kaDavuL vAzhtthu, 18.
Thankyou Shri Saidevo. Am curious if there are specific words in tamil that means the vedas only and cannot be used to refer to any other literature.

Here is an interesting link to the connection of Murugan with the Vedas:
SOUTHERN ORIGINS AND CONNECTIONS
Thanks a lot for this. I shall go thru shortly.

I think the agniShThoma procedure is mentioned in jaiminIya brAhmaNa of the sAma veda. Here is a link:
The Jyotiṣṭoma ritual: Jaiminīya ... - Google Books

Similarly, the rAjasUya yajna text is found in the shatapatha brAhmaNa of the shukla yajur veda, as per this essay:
Ritual, state, and history in South ... - Google Books

Thanks again for this info. But brahmanas are just explanations of procedures of how to conduct a ritual. Whereas the mantras itself (used in any ritual) are from the samhitas. So am more keen to know if the mantras used in agnishtoma are found in any other veda, apart from the atharva-veda.

Regards.

Last edited:
Smt. HH,

You have received two well-informed replies but let me add my own.

The term athrava which becomes atharva in the rigveda refers to "keeper of the sacred fire" or "keeper of the scared fire in the fire-temple" (of zoroastrians). The athravans were the priestly class of zoroastrians, comparable to the Brahmans of vedism.

I have read research based books which postulate, with a good amount of indirect evidence, that long before the vedic (aryan) people migrated to the Indo-Gangetic plains, similar migrations of the fire-worshipping people must have happened and that in course of time, those migrants must have intermixed with the local tribes/clans and also moved eastwards towards Vranasi, present day Bihar, etc., in search of fertile grounds. These people could have preserved their beliefs in more or less the same proforma as the later rigvedic aryans. By the time the vedic brahmins invented the elaborate sacrificial rituals and sama-singing etc., as a grand method of invoking the satisfaction of various deities as also impressing the financiers of these yagas with the notion that a great lot of merit (equal to the later concept of "punya") will accrue to them as a recompense for all the wealth spent on such elaborate yagas, they had probably not come into contact with these "athravans". That is the reason for "trayee veda" because they knew of only three vedas then.

Subsequently, when the atharvans and their beliefs became known for the first time, there was only a partial acceptance into the hindu-fold and atharvana veda was considered a "base" veda even by Brahmans of two or three generations ago, going by what I have heard from elders.

With British people's interest in knowing about the Brahmanic lore it was just coincidence that the East India Company was HQd at Kolkotta and there were enough pudits knowing the Atharva veda. The gradual but half-hearted acceptance of atharva into the mainstream of Brahmanic learning is most probably a development subsequent to that, IMO.

Atharva veda contains mantras for a lot of spells and in that respect it is more of magic than like rigveda, not that Atharva does not contain anything else. How and why the earlier batch of the athravans took to such a lot of spells, magic, etc., is yet to be clearly researched.

The term "agnibhoo" applied to Murugan as also Murugan being identified with Skanda (referring to his mostly unpalatable origin from Rudra-Siva's ejaculation) is a puranic concoction to absorb the native Tamilian's Murukan into the vast hindu pantheon (created by the device of puranas) but the noteworthy point is that unlike Mohini or Vamana, the Brahmans were scrupulously clever not to grant avatara status to Muruga but to picturize Muruka-Skanda as a product of some fiery spurt of Siva, falling into the Ganges, forming into 6 babies, later joined into one body and six heads and so on.

"Tamil Sangam Literature mentions Murugu as a nature spirit worshipped with animal sacrifices and associated with a non-Brahmanical priest known as a Velan, a name later used to refer to the deity himself. The worship of Murugu often occurred in the woods or in an open field, with no particular associated structure. The rituals practiced included the Veriyaattu, a form of ritual-trance-dancing, which is still a common part of Murugan worship in Tamil Nadu and Malaysia. Murugu was believed to hold power over the chaotic and could be appeased by sacrifices and Veriyaattu to bring order and prosperity."
(Murugan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

This should be sufficient evidence to show how "muruku" the Tamil native god has been taken over by Hinduism after or sometime just before the beginnings of the Common era.

The term "agnibhU" in atharva veda needs to be looked into further and I shall respond separately.

First you need to understand the purpose of mantras in each vedas. This web reference is a good starting point-"http://aryasamajct.com/new_page_1.htm"
Ideally there is just one veda with the three types of mantras - rik, yajus and saman. That is the purpose of trayi-veda.
Based on purpose and need veda vyasa has allowed the classification of the entire vedic mantras into 4 vedas and has made sure that a focus groups who study atleast one section of vedas have all the mantras and upanishads which allow a systematic spiritual growth in that individual. This is our belief. It is believed by us that we only have fraction of the complete vedic knowledge available to us. If you have the same belief then such questions dont arise. There has never been a bar or restriction on any vedic group from studying another veda(even atharva) if they go through the established procedures for learning it. Beyond this belief , and stating that vedas is not apaurusheya, one can write a hundred theories, but no theory or exploration on this subject will lead to any consistent explanation. Because people who have come to question the divine origin of vedas have already discarded the authority of the lesser important but important puranas. The puranas are the only historical reference that give us a clue on the history of the times, when vedas were revealed. Using the body of vedic literature itself to concoct its history is a discarded means of investigation. As it is well held in tradition , that vedas can be understood only if one understands the puranas. One need not give absolute points to puranas but that is the only clue we have. For tradition, there has never been any infighting amongst the vedic traditions even though the different sakhas (sub groups in vedas) are separated by time , space and geography, and differences in methodology.
Dear Shri PVIyer Ji,

Thankyou for the post. I would greatly appreciate if you could provide sources or references for the sentences i have underlined in your post above.

As regards one vedic group having the freedom to learn an other veda, i am not talking of current practices. Instead I would like to know if in the ancient past clans used to teach abhicharas and ritualism to others (that is, to those outside their own family / clan); even if they were 'vedic'. Kindly note, am asking this for a particular time period, that is of ancient times before the 8th century (and not the post-shankara or the medieval period).

A brahmana is one who follows the way of life expected of a brahmana. He may do other hundred things as hobbies. That is never his profession and must never be done for material gain or for livelihood.
Sir, please tell me what is the brahmana way of life? There seems to be varied definitions.

Just like vaishyas and kshatraiyas could learn the vedas but never take up the vocation of a brahmin. Thus a brahmin must necessarily be a vaidika. There have been vaidikas who took up arms were even millitary leaders and in some parts of India alone the whole clan took to war as an occupation. But the question of loukika brahmins does not arise. His principal duty is to go into depth of vedas, and protect and nurture it, and be a spiritual path finder for his community( means locality or country or world not caste alone). If there is a brahmin in tamilnadu whatever else his ancestors did, he was expected to be a vaidika, regardless of what other things he did.
Sir, you must be aware that the kshatropeta-brahmanas were actually warrior clans (so-called kshatriyas) who claimed to be brahmins. The puranic kshatropeta-brahmanas included the Gargas, Samkritis, Mudgalas, Kanvas, Urukshayas, Kapis, Priyamedhas, Vishnu-vridhas, Haritas, Saunakas, etc. (Source: Early Indian Religions by Priyatosh Banerjee, p.124). The bharadvajas have also claimed to be both brahmins and kshatriyas. A proper list of the kShatropetA dvijAtayaH can be obtained from here: http://mahabharata-resources.org/harivamsa/hv_1_32_mpr.html

Historically also, there were quite a few converts to brahmakshatriyas (folks who claimed to be both, brahmins + kshatriyas). One example is the Boyas who accultured themselves into both brahmins and kshatriyas and claimed to be both. Another example is the Mattur brahmins. The matturas were village sorcerors who gave up tribal customs, adopted those of the brahmanical society and later claimed to be both, brahmins as well as kshatriyas [Source: Proceedings of the Indian History Congress, Vol 35]. More description: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/3940-reservation-brahmins-41.html#post55450

I feel it may be quite difficult to differentiate between a laukika and vaidika brahmin. But I would like to hear more inputs from other posters on this.

There are contraversies on some brahmin sects like bhumihar, chitpavans and niyogis. Two of them is considered a result of intermarriage with kshatriya women, may be other women and another considered a result of deviance from vocation rules for a vaidika. Niyogis were still allowed to call themselves as brahmins because vedic learning was still existent but it is well known that their interest in vedas was somewhat secondary to their occupations,a nd materialistic goals. There is an extremely rare possibility of finding a brahmin whose male side ancestory was not entirely brahmin( unless we allow adultery among some women- I have never known such thing in my entire family link, and I cant comment, there were rumours on anuradha ramanan, an extremely distant link, and I have neither met her nor do I know facts about her to confirm or disregard things about her). My point is very valid. The smrithi laws were rightly very tight and upfront when it comes to learning the vedas and we have maintained this to prevent somebody from making false claims on vedas. Unless one is clearly recognizable as a brahmin and has also the right background to learn it , it was debarred and rightly so. I know quite a few will fume against me, but I stand on my statement from the confidence in paramacharya's words. Or else we might have ended up with another 1000 versions of each veda. we only have schools based on tradition, but no different version of the same mantra.
Sir, there is enuf info on the Chitpavans, Niyogis and Bhumihars on the internet. These are groups that were warrior type but claimed to be brahmins. Even the Kanyakubjas are taken to be a more recently brahmanized group. They came on the scene after Bengali society (which was heavily if not fully buddhist) was reorganized after the downfall of buddhism (kanyakubjas were mostly made of buddhists who defected into hinduism and tribal priests who brahmanized themselves). You can read about various such brahmanization events in the book "A Social History of India" by SN Sadasivan.

Regarding a further proof, It was interesting to know the genetic lineage of chitpawans. They have been considered a very suspect group because of their distinct features which give them out as something different from rest of Indian society. There were different investigations conducted on their genes. The latest one seems to be that unlike the rest of Indians, their maternal side shows distinct evidence of being perpetuated by middle eastern groups in not too far away times. This supports my strong belief based on well established practices and checkpoints in our land, that by and large the paternal origin of brahmins has always been brahmins.
Sir, in chitpavans it is not just their mtDNA but also their y-DNA that is very-very varied. You can read more here: http://genomebiology.com/content/pdf/gb-2005-6-8-p10.pdf

There is no question of a kshatriya becoming a brahmin in some kind of hidden way. When vishwamitra became a brahmin, the truth was known to all, it was well recorded in the puranas and neither was it hidden from someone to push an agenda. In recent times, lot of unholy things are taking place and we have to see how much people are going to start masking their origins- no clue.
Sir you may wish to look up historical events where groups brahamized themselves after the shankara period from the 8th to the 14th century. One classic example has been described on this website here: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/religion/3956-y-chromosomes-gothra-dr-s-balakrishna-2.html#post44207

I hope to receive more inputs from other posters also for my post # 446

Regards.

Last edited:
Dear Sangom Sir,
May be it is a "laboured attempt at finding something which is not at all there", that "this is worse than the popular Malayalam joke of “நம்பூதிரி சமுத்திரத்தில் குளிச்சு ”", that "it is interesting to note all this effort is taken only to make this poet a brahmin or a brahmin supporter", and that "a European would feel exasperated by all this and would call it nit-picking and would quit the discussion whereas a young Brahmin of today would shrug his shoulders and laugh at himself for our immense capacity to do hair-splitting", but the entire mischief is not mine but that of Mahamahopadhyaya, Dakshinatya Kalanidhi, Dr. U. V. Swaminatha Ayyar who seemed to have harboured such mischief in his mind!! His urai is:

2. æóñ¢«ð£è¤ò££¢ :- Þï¢Ëô¤ù¢ ºîô¢ Ëø£è¤ò ñ¼îîð¢ ð£®ò Þõó¢ è¬ìê¢êé¢è𢠹ôõ¼÷¢ å¼õó¢. Þõó¢ ªðòó¢ æóñ¢«ð£î¤ò£ó¢ âù¢Áñ¢, æ«óó¢«ð£è¤ò£ó¢ âù¢Áñ¢, åù¢ù£ó¢ àöõó¢ âù¢Áñ¢, è£ñ¢«ð£î¤ò£ó¢ âù¢Áñ¢ ð¤óî¤è÷¤ô¢ «õÁðì¢´è¢ è£íð¢ð´è¤ù¢ø¶. Þõó¢ ñ¼îî¢î¤¬íò¤ù¢ õ÷é¢è¬÷ à÷¢À¬ø»õ¬ñ Þ¬øê¢ê¤ ºîô¤ò ïòé¢è÷¢ «î£ù¢ø õ¤÷é¢èð¢ ð£´îô¤ô¢ ñ¤è¢è Ýø¢ø½¬ìòõó¢.

I take it that the description "kampotiyar" is not a deliberate twist given by U.V.S. but the actual description which he found in some mss. The rest is left to the readers to judge.

Even if it is the work of U.V.S. don't you think my questions are logical? You owe it to this forum to provide UVS's original thought process which would have come based on certain observations so that we are satisfied with your 'inference' that UVS would have come to this conclusion because he might have come across manuscripts/palm leaves supporting this point. I am sure UVS being a Mahamahopaadhyaya would have discussed this in detail. I do not have access to this particular source from which you are now quoting. By the way would you please use a translit facility available in the web or do direct input with unicode so that we all can read the tamil font used by you without any difficulty. I am not able to read what you have posted here in tamil as UVS's words.
By the term "canga ilakkiyam" I thought we were dealing with a set of literary pieces which were (supposed to have been) presented before the Cangam for its approval as qualifying a certain quality level; I am also under the impression that this cangam was invariably presided by the ruler. If so, I would not expect anything which does not conform to the norms acceptable to the assembly, including what sort of criticism can be allowed or unpalatable truths could also be aired freely.
I agree with you that the Sangam literature were all presented to a Sangam presided over by a Chieftain or a King and an assembly of 'pulavars' to ensure a certain standard in the literature presented. But the disagreement between us comes only when you state this fact and proceed to append a clause that the king/chieftain joined hands with the brahmins of that time to censor all that was against the brahmins.

If my statement hurts you I apologize but your conclusion "Similarly for the common man then it was clear that he had no time to study scriptures and Brahmins devoted time to that particular endeavor. What they chanted was about God and that was enough for the common man.", especially the assertion that "it was enough for the common man" looked quite different from a logical conclusion - without direct evidence - which will be more like "it could have been sufficient for the common man to know...". Hence my observation that you are not allowing even a possibility that there could be some other reason as well.

The direct evidence is this that there was no tension, no simmering antipathy towards brahmins,no leg pulling, no conspiracy against them in the society of that time. If there was any such symptoms of distrust and dislike it would have certainly come out in some form or other. I have been asking you repeatedly to provide evidence for such a hostile atmosphere that prevailed those days and you have not provided any. You are only presuming that the kings and brahmins joined together to put down this rebellion and censored all literature giving proof of this- all without any evidence. Now please tell me is this not just your point of view? I am looking at the literature of that time to find out whether any literature indicates such a tension and I dont find any. So my conclusion that every thing was fine with that society is based on this evidence. You are not giving any evidence to the contrary scenario you are suggesting and that is the problem.

I note that you do not want to address this point.
I have addressed this also by asking you is it not more probable that..........

IMO this is where the social structure, or, the system of government prevailing those days has to be taken into account. Under monarchy which was more a dictatorship, it would not have been possible for the tillers and others to drive away the Brahmans who had ingratiated themselves to the ruler, except at the cost of their lives.

This again is at best an impression without any acceptable proof to conclusively prove that there was large scale dissent against the brahmins and it was all put down by force by the rulers..

Once again I see only a very firm point of view without any logical reasoning or evidence to support it. This is belief or pov. Hence there is no purpose in discussing further except that I would not be too sure about what was the mindset of Tamil people in the Cangam age and so on.

That is really some thing. That is precisely what I am trying to tell. At this distance of time, we can not conclusively say that there was any hostility to the brahmins and what all we read as sangam poetry is all filtered and censored literature by famished poets looking to kings and his brahmins for alms and rewards. That is too sweeping a POV.

Lastly even if there is an innuendo that I am not Brahman, I do not mind.
I did not mean or put it there to be interpreted that way.I have only respect for you. Period.

Last edited:
Dear Shri PVIyer Ji,

As regards one vedic group having the freedom to learn an other veda, i am not talking of current practices. Instead I would like to know if in the ancient past clans used to teach abhicharas and ritualism with others (that is, with those outside their own family / clan); even if they were 'vedic'.
If this were not true, the concept of chaturvedi , dwivedi.trivedi etc would never arise.
Among the upanishads translated by shankara, ramanuja and madhva the upanishads are representative of more than one vedas. How is it possible if this were not the case. However if we look at the clan of any brahmin, they are always affiliated to one veda alone. So there may be some specific clans who may not want to be teachers or students of another. But the tradition of learning other vedas besides one's own is evident. So I am sorry this is not a valid statement. Tradition of learning atharvaveda partially or in greater detail was always common. Even some decades back there were men even in the villages of tamilnadu who used to recite mantras from atharva veda for curing snake bites. These people had learnt the mantras traditionally, and this wouldnt have become tradition if had not been been part of tradition.
I would like to reiterate that for the last 200 years , all kinds of accusations have been hurled at the vedic sampradaya by the western influenced sociologists that people were always in a backfoot. Typical questions like "prove this is in your tradition! Current practices dont indicate past adherence etc". They built theories after theories, got their own mutual agreement on what was reasonable or unreasonable. Then they said to the vedic people, your beliefs dont match with our understanding, if we should consider your case then prove it. I would like to ask you happyhindu , before giving me some quotes of people, whether the people whom you quote have recorded evidence in tradition. If you analyze it always boils down to guesswork based on supposed interpretation of scriptures. I already gave you the proof that people even 1000 years back learnt vedas from other family streams. My request from you, is if you think this is not the case, give me an authentic acceptable evidence that these cases were exceptions and typically majority of the people were not allowed to learn atharva veda. I have one more good reason for raising the question on the validity of your question, that apart from known tradition the smritis dont indicate that one should not learn vedas of another stream. The atharva veda argument humbug has largely been ignited by christian propaganda people . Typically they laid claim that atharvaveda was all black magic etc. We have sayana the greatest interpretor of vedas in recent centuries, can you please quote from him and let us know why atharva veda was rejected by many brahmins or outclassed? Dayanada saraswati, the reformer does not question atharva veda either. You are reading scholars of the previous decades who were directly or indirectly influenced by the british thinkers on aryan theory and confusing yourself and raising questions which have no relevance to our tradition. It is good to ask questions but when asking for evidence from one group who know no other tradition , you should also determine whether there is enough evidence to even hold on to the reverse question - Is there evidence that atharvaveda was prohibitted from tradition if so what are the smrithis or what are the puranas, if so what does sayana say!

Sir, there is enuf info on the Chitpavans, Niyogis and Bhumihars on the [COLOR=#DA7911 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#DA7911 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]internet[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]. These are groups that were warrior type but claimed to be brahmins. Even the Kanyakubjas are taken to be a more recently brahmanized group. They came on the scene after Bengali society (which was heavily if not fully buddhist) was reorganized after the downfall of buddhism (kanyakubjas were mostly made of buddhists who defected into hinduism and tribal priests who brahmanized themselves). You can read about various such brahmanization events in the book "A Social History of India" by SN Sadasivan.
In the internet there is enough info on hollow earth theory! I very well know that lot of theories floating around their origin. Can you prove that these are not any more than guesswork . Can you prove that there was a recorded tradition that these groups themselves were otherwise., I have read his book(sadasivan),you may be impressed, but there is nothing of worth in this book according to me to qualify. I dont mind a separate thread on the valdity of his arguments. Let everyone read his book and come to a conclusion how much of his is truth or pure guesswork. We need the evidence of real traditions , supported by inscriptions or general traditions of others(not of their group) who surround them. Regarding chitapawans , they are a much maligned group, my intuition and strong observation on meeting them, indicate that they are mixed groups of brahmins , nothing more , nothing less. They definately have a strong genetic origin in brahmins whoever else they may have married and however frequent it was, I dont know. It needs to be proven that at the time they became brahmins , that the majority of males were not brahmins. I see no evidence of that! Genetic theories have come long way since 2005, and latest studies in 2010 indicate that the majority of Indians have been largely living in India for atleast 50000 years. Taking genes, making percentage affinity with other far away groups, dont impress me.Humans have come from the same tree, and they are bound to have common material between them. If I allow my mind to be swayed by changing theories, I would end up a fool. I dont see proof in history, tradition of many of these things being claimed around. I would definately keep reading these genetic theories but unless I can find an explanation which reveals all the assumptions made in deriving the result, how do you expect me to swallow it. When scientists dont accept the acharyas on their spiritual vision and experiences which contradict science, how do u expect accept others with some forms of spiritual experience, to gobble up what these scientists have to say, without going trough the whole framework of evidences and assumptions. Truth is not built on one claim alone. There are a whole basket of evidences that need to be weighed before making judgments. It is self evident that chitpawans have a foreign mixture but I know chitpawans , many who have no semblence of foreign colored eyes or skin or features. Infact the study itself indicates a diverse group. So the onus here is to prove that the chitpawans were really never brahmins in the first place, that they usurped this title by just learning vedas. There must be proof. You know what the deshastha take on this seems to indicate that the original sahayadri kund contained stories of brahmins in konkan marrying off their children with foreigners. So you still cannot explain away their brahmin origins! With Niyogis there is nothing unusual about these folks. They have a clear tradition that many centuries back brahmins took up clerical occupation. You need indicate evidences from real traditions that they were clearly not brahmins but kshatriyas. As far as I am aware in the sound Indian lands as far as vindhyas and all places that come below it,there was no genuine kshatriya. The proof is in the pudding. If there was a kshatriya they would have held the yagnopaveetha ceremony. Kerala vermas made themselves into kshatriyas by taking the help of some non keralite brahmins.

Sir, please tell me what is the brahmana way of life? There seems to be varied definitions.
There are sufficiently consistent opinions on who a brahmin is , if you care to look at what shankara , madhwa , ramanuja , tradition have to say. There are other traditions but difference is essentially over the point of "whether it is by birth or by karma". The reformist tradition are right when they say that krishna says "guna karma vibhagacha"- divided based on gunas and karmas. This is the most universal truth and holds across time and space, in times even when there is no caste or religion or family structure in society. But look at the question deeper.
What is karma, Karma refers to the complete past and present.
Guna refers to a person's nature.
Can you appoint anybody on this planet who is capable of judging what is the complete basket of someone's karma? Can you appoint anybody on this planet who is capable of judging someone's gunas? People can only judge based on outwardly show and pretenses. So unless it is divinely constituted it has no validity. If it is divinely constituted and suppose it is not meant to be heriditory- any logical thinking person will say that the ways of divine is funny and atrocious. If a person whose main gunas and karmas is that of a kshatriya and he is born in a vaishya family. What will the father teach him from birth- he will teach how to make money, how to save and how to never indulge in violence. The child grows in a confused state. Like arjuna he will always be unsure of war and whether to fight or not. The worse part as a king, he will like to make business have business holding promote the interests of his son, who wants to be a businessman. Is this right for a king. The worst part is when a neighboring king attacks the population he will target the family of the peasant. Why? He is also a potential enemy because he/his son can take up the duty of a kshatriya and attack him.Is this a good moral order. Varna dharma is a profound subject whose evidence in its establishment can only be proven if all the 4 yugas come to a pass, and if the worst of kali, when varna will eventually have to dissappear comes to pass, to compare and contrast. I dont want to discuss anything more, as the proof is in the lives that people are leading, their dharma, their egos everything.

I think in your previous reference , you referred to this post
.In his Dasakumaracaritra, the great Sanskrit writer Dandin, who is said to have lived at the Pallava court about the middle of the 7th Century A. D, wails over the miserable plight of the Brahmins who lived in forests among the kiratas, eating their food and obeying their orders. Ketana of the 13th century who translated Dasakumaracaritra into a Telugu poem actually says that the Brahmins became teachers of the Boyas. It is not unreasonable to assume that Dandin described the conditions prevailing in the neighbourhood of the kingdom where he was living. The Dasakumaracaritra may thus be taken to give us a clue to the mastery of the Boya priests over vedic lore and their skill in performing Vedic rituals. It may be remembered that the age of the Pallavas was a period of vigorous Brahmanisation in the South.
Ketana of the 13th century who translated Dasakumaracaritra into a Telugu poem actually says that the Brahmins became teachers of the Boyas
What is wrong if brahmins became teacher of some tribals?
In his Dasakumaracaritra, the great Sanskrit writer Dandin, who is said to have lived at the Pallava court about the middle of the 7th Century A. D, wails over the miserable plight of the Brahmins who lived in forests among the kiratas, eating their food and obeying their orders.
This is again a proof that this was not a traditional practice - of living under the rules of kiratas and following their orders!
It is not unreasonable to assume that Dandin described the conditions prevailing in the neighbourhood of the kingdom where he was living. The Dasakumaracaritra may thus be taken to give us a clue to the mastery of the Boya priests over vedic lore and their skill in performing Vedic rituals.
Isnt this the author's interpretation?
I again reiterate that even if such isolated events are true to what they are claimed to be, then also it needs to be proven that it was common place.
Further to this though I hold on to the hereditary practice of brahminhood, I dont see the whole point in all this discussion on loukika brahmins or brahma kshatriyas. If somebody is a brahmin he is a brahmin, he will do the things a brahmin is supposed to do. There are things a brahmin must do, and somethings which he must not do. If somebody is a kshatriya and he claims he is a brahmin, even if cheats some other brahmins and passes of one, I dont see how long his progeny and descendants can possibly stay in vaidika margam. To me position is clear, a vaidika brahmin is a brahmin. If there were corruptions in his lineage, it will show sooner or later. So I am not worried. What I am worried of is mass corruptions. Because that means those families who were unfortunate in such marital alliances, will have their seeds completely separated from veda margam and mass corruptions means danger is to the whole clan. But that is an eventuality because there is sooner or later, not going to be any material incentive to learn and preserve vedas.
If a brahmin is fallen or an intermarried brahmin or a deceptive brahmin time will correct itself according to the true nature of those individuals.
If a person is a vaidika , who has that heritage, whose ancestors and himself learn vedas, not with the primary motive of making money or not for other allures in society, who sincerely follow that adhyayana he can certainly consider himself a brahmin. His root is in order if he is in order.
Thats all I can say. So the question really should be who can be a brahmin and I have expressed my view which is consistent with what paramacharya says and is also consistent with bhagwat gita. The opinion of paramacharya himself is consistent with what the shastras and traditions say!

Regarding Brahmakshatriyas, I want to be clear about one thing from happyhindu.
What does mahabharata say about the origins of kshetropeta brahmins and the purpose and meaning of their lives.
This is relevant for any further discussion on the same.
I know a north indian group who claim to be brahma kshatriyas but other brahmins will not marry them, and this group does not accept dan for their priestly services. But any further discussion can come about only when this is clarified. Note : Kshatriyas were never barred from vedic learning so if they were really what their legend indicates then they were true kshatriyas as opposed to the usurpation of the kshatriya titles by the warrior clans in the country.

Thanks,
PV

Dear Shri PV Iyer Ji,

Your reply is so typical of someone like Shri Vivek (who was banned recently) who went on to british bashing and totally unrelated stuff, while something else was being discussed. Nor am i talking about trivedis, chaturvedis and such recent titles or recent culture. Am talking of an antiquated ancient past of vedic period history.

Plus you seem to have selectively picked up sentences from the post on boyas which I had made from this link to convey some illogical / unrelated inferences.

I was not issuing you challenges to prove anything, nor was i getting aggressive. I had asked questions with the hope of finding answers.

If you think the Chitpavans have a "strong genetic origin in brahmins", then good for you. Similarly you are free to assume whatever you wish to, or come to any conclusion regarding history or any subject.

To me any discussion is useless unless there is some amount of academic research sources involved in it. Am not interested in getting into protracted discussion that go around in circles just because one person wants to keep insisting on POVs with no logical inferences (even if be hypothetical ones based on existing data) and / or with no academic sources.

I would be glad to continue this discussion with other posters.

Thanks and Regards.

Dear Shri PV Iyer Ji,

Your reply is so typical of someone like Shri Vivek (who was banned recently) who went on to british bashing and totally unrelated stuff, while something else was being discussed. Nor am i talking about trivedis, chaturvedis and such recent titles or recent culture. Am talking of an antiquated ancient past of vedic period history.
This point was made specific to your question on whether brahmins were prevented from learning different vedic streams. Its not correct to give a name calling like this, comparing with some Vivek which I find abusive. I dont see this as out of context.

Plus you seem to have selectively picked up sentences from the post on boyas which I had made from this link to convey some illogical / unrelated inferences.
I specifically asked whether this was the the evidence you were speaking of regarding brahminisation of someone. And I gave some specific reasons where I felt there was more interpretation than facts. I didnt follow up with a detailed analysis of every section. But I didnt need to , I said that Brahminisation of people could have taken place, but since this was against the smritis followed by any section, this could not have happened on straight way. I really need to know if there is something was happening on a large scale. That is my only interest.

I was not issuing you challenges to prove anything, nor was i getting aggressive. I had asked questions with the hope of finding answers.
I really did not think you were aggressive because these are common questions. I admit I was agressive when I said "Please ask the reverse questions". To my knowledge , for a lot of things, we only have tradition. If such questions offend you, I am sorry. The tradition is meaningful only when it is properly followed and gives the relevant experience to validate it. If you were looking for historical precedents and evidences which brahmins can give proving this , this and this was followed 2000 years back, we really have no evidence. Every Clan is an island and there is no way we can prove certain things. That was all my point. But the reverse view is certainly not having sufficient evidence to backup atleast for the former there is tradition. But time and again, let me be frank , our elderly people have been thrown into mounam and asked to close their mouths, and this has not been good for the TB Community. The elderly wise cant give a book and say this is correct because it was published 2000 years back. They have a tradition, they say something based on spiritual experience , somethings based on intuition. They dont expect people to agree about them, but think about them. That was my point. I found this atharva veda doubts plainly coming from the books you have read regarding this. My point was not against you, but the original propagators of this line of argument, what was their real attitude to atharva veda.

"
If you think the Chitpavans have a "strong genetic origin in brahmins", then good for you. Similarly you are free to assume whatever you wish to, or come to any conclusion regarding history or any subject."
Firstly they are brahmins today and atleast for 400 years documented now. I know some chitpavans who are taking great effort to keep the lamp of vedic tradition alive.. If someone says that they have a non brahminical origin, is it not offending to the traditional members of this community, who dont hold such a view? I can assume that they are brahmins because I have admitted that they could have external marital links. Does their genetic lineage indicate that they are 100% out of india? No right? So what are the evidences we have to think they are a wholesale convert. Is there something else i tried to convery. I neither contradicted genetics in allowing intermarriage nor have I seen any evidence in genetics to indicate that they are a wholesale convert. I can have strong intuitive feelings about things, and I have the right to let others know but I dont expect people to agree.

To me any discussion is useless unless there is some amount of academic research sources involved in it. Am not interested in getting into protracted discussion that go around in circles just because one person wants to keep insisting on POVs with no logical inferences (even if be hypothetical ones based on existing data) and / or with no academic sources.

I am sorry but your definition of academic is quoting a few books. With the bad experience of what is happening in sociological research,I want to go to the roots. A discussion in such a way is what you want then I request you to not just forward a link containing whole amounts of information , to the extent I dont know which is the specific points you are addressing. I need to know what exactly you are talking about. The discussion of the Boya community being an example.

sai,
am guilty of emotional outburst sometimes borddering raving mad. each time i resolve that this would be my last and hence on i would conduct the best of behaviour. but, only i know how many times i have failed.

I am really impressed by one thing. I have been seeing you react to different viewpoints in such a calm manner. Its really a surprise to me, and I think its fortunate that there is a veteran like you to steer the forums. Frankly, some of your views sound quite modern and almost unacceptable to me. But I admire the way you put it across.
"You remember you asked me a question, on what I would do if my children would face the same situation,( girl marrying someone younger to her). " My answer is nothing. All that veeram and principles are aimed to prevent something from happening. I will advice and may even ask the child to think it all over. What else can I do? Has any parent been able to do anything else. Do you think my wife will ever let me do something like that like taking adamant attitudes. We all live in a compromising world. But it is better we articulate what we think is right. I cannot view such things as escape routes, there is no escape route. I consider society as a network built by our rishis and gods. It has some rules because the network would need to function. If the rules that function have been leading to good results , you dont disturb the network. A big network like our world has a really complex network plan and this plan is not known to us. So how do we change the nodes and network configuration just based on "I think this is right". Repositioning a node, may lead to some sudden improvement in performance due to transitional changes. But do we have enough information to know if this transition state will last or it may end up in isolation and destruction of the sub-network or may be the whole network.

pviyer,

i agree with you re the key strategy is to accommodate and compromise. we all bring up our children to be in a certain mould, but no matter what, and how good the parenting may appear to be, there is no guarantee what the child would do.

i always mention the instance of my neighbour whose only son married a white american. the poor lady went berserk, had a nervous breakdown from which she never recovered. for the rest of her life, she moved around like someone who lost the world.

i think we should protect ourselves against such extreme reactions. there will be disappointments in life, but hopefully it is not hard enough to break us completely.

thank you.

Dear Sri Kunjuppu Ji,

I know of this very conservative Iyengars here in the U.S. When the son came back from college one day and announced that he was about to marry a white American girl, the mother became hysterical. After a moment of thought, the father said, thank God it is a girl! The mother immediately composed herself and the wedding went off well.

Your story reminded me of this.

Regards,
KRS

namaste shrI Kunjuppu.

Inasmuch as we expect the poor lady in your example to have the wisdom of anticipating and adjusting to disappointments in life, I wonder why we don't apply the same yardstick to the wayward son, who should have prepared his mother for the eventuality by trying to 'reform' her. All said and done, it is their karma, from the spiritual pov, which in our zest for reform in our laukila life, we tend to ignore.

namaste shrI Kunjuppu.

Inasmuch as we expect the poor lady in your example to have the wisdom of anticipating and adjusting to disappointments in life, I wonder why we don't apply the same yardstick to the wayward son, who should have prepared his mother for the eventuality by trying to 'reform' her. All said and done, it is their karma, from the spiritual pov, which in our zest for reform in our laukila life, we tend to ignore.
Dear Sir,
I have had unfortunate moments witnessing such things happen in my very close relations. The mother in question is a strong believer in paramacharya and she did not bend even one bit even after marriage , because she did not want to set precedents in the family. Her thinking was criticized by some, but who are we to question this mother, who holds a principle and belief in paramacharya's teachings. The problem I feel sir, is that somewhere we are lacking in the process of transferring our spiirtual anubhavams to the next generation, sufficiently so that they dont walk out on tradition, not just because they want to blindly copy the elders or not just because they are proud of being brahmins or not just because they feel comfortable being in the same culture, but because they are convinced that these traditions have a profound origin and cannot be discarded lightly .

Sai,

I do not have answers for situations like this.

I too am an only son, and have always wondered how my mother would have reacted if had married out of caste (not even a white, but another caste or another state). Tough to imagine how she would have coped. My dad would have broken down, I am sure, but mom was made of stronger stuff.

My spouse, self are also in the stage of having to confront the fact, that soon our children will be bringing their beloveds to us for approval. We have given them broad guidelines, and they have indicated that they would do their own hunting without our help. still, as I constantly remind them, this means that they will be presenting us with a fait accompli. Accept us or else.

Hopefully myself and my wife will survive intact :)

Namaste to all. I am one from the silent majority that has been watching the clash of the best of brains of this forum. It is time for me to mouth my observations.

I hoped to learn much from the discussions because all the scholars who participated were of high erudition, well-versed in various branches of religion,literature, history and sociology. There were lengthy presentations supported by numerous illustrations and quotations, though some of them were boring at times. But I observed that the discussions turned into heated arguments, with each group trying to establish itself and defeat the other. By arguments, one never reaches the truth. Each group presents a bunch of facts in support of its view point. The other selectively picks out one or two points to refute and remains silent on others. In the din of arguments mediocre people like me could not learn anything. Had the moderator restricted each participant to, say, 100 words in each post and to one post on alternate days giving time for the opponent to respond, the discussions would have been more orderly and would have benefited the readers, though it would have taken a longer time.

At times tempers ran high, resulting in the banning of one member and three others becoming the targets of the red cane of the moderator. Ironically, all those who were reprimanded belonged to the same group. I can understand why this group got agitated so much, leading to emotional outbursts. They are all suffering the humiliation and persecution (may be justified in the view of one section) in their day-to-day lives, while the other group which was cool, lives in comfortable places away from Tamilnadu. If a Brahmin boy or girl could not find a seat in a cheap and best college because of the reservation system, his/her father, by hook or crook, accumulates enough money to admit him/her in a decent self-financing college. This is the characteristic of a Brahmin that he manages to live under any circumstance. Those living outside Tamilnadu have no such necessity to beg, borrow, steal or take bribes to educate his ward.

One group quoted history to prove that Brahmins of yore perpetrated this wrong, committed that atrocity and so on. The other group also quoted history to substantiate that they had a glorious past. History is useful only to the extent that it helps us to move forward. Otherwise it is an idle intellectual gymnastics. If we happen to find the descendant of Rajaraja Chola, we can not honour him for his ancestor’s service nor can we crucify the descendant of Timur for the latter’s massacre. Let us consider where we stand now and where we should go. Brahmins as a community are denied equal rights is the fact, the stand being justified by history by the political class. Should we accept this position of ours and amass wealth by any means so that we can educate our children in self-financing colleges or should we fight for equal rights?

This again is an idle question. For, if this forum decides either way, it can not compel all the members to toe its line. The peculiarity of Brahmins is their individuality. They do not have a leader nor can they be brought under one leader. To abide by the leader’s command is the hallmark of depressed people. The more a group advances, the less it will be cohesive. We being the most advanced group, will never be controlled by one central command, even if it be Vedas.

Should there be no discussion at all? Let it be. For it provides time pass for some and source of learning for others. But let there be no acrimony.

Lastly I wish to tell something of my own experience. I live in a comfort zone, outside Tamilnadu. Yes, I am a fortunate citizen of Puduchery. Puducherry and Karaikal are culturally, very much part of Tamilnadu. The same political parties are found here. We follow the education system and reservation system of Tamilnadu. The Dk is also here. But socially there is no Brahmin-hatred here. The reason lies in history. The French rulers practiced their ideals of liberty, equality and fraternity here as in their home. They never resorted to divide and rule like their British counterpart. The people of Puduchery still practice them in their lives.

When I migrated into Puducherry in 1970, I was surprised to be offered a seat by the collector (then called Administrator)when I went to him for some favour, while my prior experience in Tamilnadu was to be kept standing for hours before a Taluk office clerk. The officer would not talk to me unless I took my seat. In other offices too, I found that right from the head of the department everyone gave every visitor respect.

I must admit that I was very ‘orthodox’ till I was 30 and had not eaten in a non-brahmin hotel or home. Having come into the ex-French territory, true to the Brahmin spirit of adjustment, I changed myself and began to eat in my NB friend’s homes on occasions. (My new-found zeal did not take me far enough to taste non-veg food or liquor nor my friends wanted me to do so.) They conquered me by their spirit of fraternity. So if you want to conquer somebody, fraternize him. Let there be no acrimony.

(This spirit of equality is slowly dying here also and we have begun to copy our bigger neighbour is pitiable. Would that French come back here and teach us their ideals.)

Pviyer,

we have members here in the forum, brought up in the most ardent of households with genuine devotion to orthodoxy. Yet these have opted out of that regimen.

I do not what the magic formula is so that traditions are guaranteedly handed over and faithfully followed.

Personally I come from a shraddham/amavasai/avani avittam household, with the intrinsic and unspoken attitudes towards other castes. As I grow older, and perhaps being in a foreign land, I am more inclined towards an absoluteness by way of equality and more than that, acceptance, of those other than our own traditions. This accepts implies a willingness to not just fraternize but to go further and inter marry if my children would so chose.

What makes it easy these days, is that many of us live apart from our children. So there is no day to day interaction, with causes for friction. As in laws, if we are civil and friendly to the incoming spouse of my child, I am hoping the basic human decency would prevail, to reciprocate.

It is hard to let children go. I would rather have a child with me, and a spouse whom he/she loves, albeit other than a tambram. Atleast, that is what I hope to do. who knows how the future will turn out?

Dear Sri pviyer Ji, Sir,

I missed responding your post #441. I am sorry for the delay.

Yes, I agree with you that the slide in Brahminical Dharma started long ago, the way you ascribe it. The degeneration probably accelerated after the British came, with secular jobs available.

Thanks.

Regards,
KRS

Shri PV Iyer Ji,

Since some are making out as though am escaping from discussions privately (not on this forum thread), i would like to reply to your posts.

If this were not true, the concept of chaturvedi , dwivedi.trivedi etc would never arise.
Among the upanishads translated by shankara, ramanuja and madhva the upanishads are representative of more than one vedas. How is it possible if this were not the case. However if we look at the clan of any brahmin, they are always affiliated to one veda alone. So there may be some specific clans who may not want to be teachers or students of another. But the tradition of learning other vedas besides one's own is evident. So I am sorry this is not a valid statement.

• I already made it clear in my previous post that "Kindly note, am asking this for a particular time period, that is of ancient times before the 8th century (and not the post-shankara or the medieval period)."
  • Adi Shankara dealt exclusively with Vedanta. So he should have referred to the Upanishads. But Shankara mentions just 20 Upanishads in his works. There is no evidence that Vedavyasa referred to Brahmasutra or to Upanishads (although it is claimed without evidence that Vyasa also compiled upanishads). What we call "Vedanta" did not even exist in VedaVyasa's time. So the argument that Upanishads are representatives of more than one veda does not even arise, esp when pertaining to the pre-shankara period. Some vedic shakhas like Kapisthala of Yajurveda do not even have a upanishad .
  • With the Griha sutras the codes of familial duties came into being. Each family had a set a rules to adhere to. Each family passed on their mantras within their family. There is no evidence that after the Girha Sutra period, vedic literature was shared openly with others. So each family that dealt with Rig, Sama and Yajur did keep it to themselves.
  • After / around the Shankara period, there were commentators like Medhatithi who felt that as long as a group did a particular occupation they can be absorbed into the relevant varna. And thus foreigners were absorbed into varnas like brahmins, kshatriyas and vaishyas. Which obviously meant that around Medhatithi's time (7-9th century) there was sharing of vedas with outsiders. However, Medhatithi's works were destroyed. I have written about Medhatithi's works in older posts. Those interested can look them up or can go thru this book for a clearer picture of how the society was in Medhatithi's time and why medhatithi's commentories were destroyed: Manusmrti with the
Tradition of learning atharvaveda partially or in greater detail was always common. Even some decades back there were men even in the villages of tamilnadu who used to recite mantras from atharva veda for curing snake bites. These people had learnt the mantras traditionally, and this wouldnt have become tradition if had not been been part of tradition.
Atharva-veda was not considered a veda initially. And that is what i am looking for info on (why atharva was not recognised as a veda). Shri Sangom is the only person who answered this point and i shall search for relevant info.

I would like to reiterate that for the last 200 years , all kinds of accusations have been hurled at the vedic sampradaya by the western influenced sociologists that people were always in a backfoot. Typical questions like "prove this is in your tradition! Current practices dont indicate past adherence etc". They built theories after theories, got their own mutual agreement on what was reasonable or unreasonable. Then they said to the vedic people, your beliefs dont match with our understanding, if we should consider your case then prove it. I would like to ask you happyhindu , before giving me some quotes of people, whether the people whom you quote have recorded evidence in tradition. If you analyze it always boils down to guesswork based on supposed interpretation of scriptures. I already gave you the proof that people even 1000 years back learnt vedas from other family streams. My request from you, is if you think this is not the case, give me an authentic acceptable evidence that these cases were exceptions and typically majority of the people were not allowed to learn atharva veda. I have one more good reason for raising the question on the validity of your question, that apart from known tradition the smritis dont indicate that one should not learn vedas of another stream. The atharva veda argument humbug has largely been ignited by christian propaganda people . Typically they laid claim that atharvaveda was all black magic etc.
All this talk about westerners is irrelevant to the discussion. If you have a valid point or angle of research please provide it. Am not interested if the author was a westerner or indian or japanese or whatever. The point in discussion must be verifiable, that's all. It can come as a logical hypothesis inferred from existing data with no archeological evidence to support it. It will be acceptable as long as the premises of the argument is sound and supported with inferred evidence from linguistic or any other form of research. Not mere claims please.

We have sayana the greatest interpretor of vedas in recent centuries, can you please quote from him and let us know why atharva veda was rejected by many brahmins or outclassed?
  • If you think Sayana was the greatest so be it. Others may not agree. From some academic people i heard that Sayana wanted to please his Vijayanagar masters and hence some portions of his commentaries were skewed. We may also remember that the Vijayanagar kings created long fake genologies linking themselves to Yayati of the Rigveda or even to a river goddess like Cauvery.
  • I have not said Atharva Veda was "rejected" by brahmins or "outclassed". So please refrain from putting things into my mouth. The question are only (1) why atharva-veda was not recognised as a veda in the tradition of the trayi-veda; and esp why rig-vedis did not recognise atharva-veda as a veda?; and (2) what were the reasons why the atharva-veda was interloped / supplanted and what can we infer from the fights between indra against the ascetics / yatis.

Dayanada saraswati, the reformer does not question atharva veda either.
What do you mean by that ?

You are reading scholars of the previous decades who were directly or indirectly influenced by the british thinkers on aryan theory and confusing yourself and raising questions which have no relevance to our tradition.
Please refrain from useless comments.

It is good to ask questions but when asking for evidence from one group who know no other tradition , you should also determine whether there is enough evidence to even hold on to the reverse question - Is there evidence that atharvaveda was prohibitted from tradition if so what are the smrithis or what are the puranas, if so what does sayana say!
Yes please ask yourself also that - which are the smrithis and puranas that talk of atharva-veda? Also i never said atharvaveda was "prohibitted from tradition" - again please refrain from error-prone / baseless claims.

In the internet there is enough info on hollow earth theory!
Any sensible person can understand that logically one wud not look for wrong info, if the reverse has already been proven to be true.

I very well know that lot of theories floating around their origin. Can you prove that these are not any more than guesswork . Can you prove that there was a recorded tradition that these groups themselves were otherwise.,
Yes ofcourse. As regards the mattur brahmins, the information was given in the journal of indian history congress based on inscription. Historians do not make baseless claims unlike some people who go on insisting on POVs without a shread of evidence.

I have read his book(sadasivan),you may be impressed, but there is nothing of worth in this book according to me to qualify. I dont mind a separate thread on the valdity of his arguments. Let everyone read his book and come to a conclusion how much of his is truth or pure guesswork.
That's fair enuf. Let the readers decide what's true and untrue.

We need the evidence of real traditions , supported by inscriptions or general traditions of others(not of their group) who surround them. Regarding chitapawans , they are a much maligned group, my intuition and strong observation on meeting them, indicate that they are mixed groups of brahmins , nothing more , nothing less. They definately have a strong genetic origin in brahmins whoever else they may have married and however frequent it was, I dont know.
What do you mean by they "have a strong genetic origin in brahmins"?

It needs to be proven that at the time they became brahmins , that the majority of males were not brahmins. I see no evidence of that!
Chitpavans have no ethnohistory dating back to 1000 years, unlike some subsects of brahmins of tamilnadu who do have a guru-shishya parampara dating back to more than 1000 years. They had no mutts, no vedic schools, etc until the peshwa period happened. If they did, then you might as well provide information on the same. I too wud be interested.

Genetic theories have come long way since 2005, and latest studies in 2010 indicate that the majority of Indians have been largely living in India for atleast 50000 years. Taking genes, making percentage affinity with other far away groups, dont impress me.Humans have come from the same tree, and they are bound to have common material between them. If I allow my mind to be swayed by changing theories, I would end up a fool. I dont see proof in history, tradition of many of these things being claimed around. I would definately keep reading these genetic theories but unless I can find an explanation which reveals all the assumptions made in deriving the result, how do you expect me to swallow it. When scientists dont accept the acharyas on their spiritual vision and experiences which contradict science, how do u expect accept others with some forms of spiritual experience, to gobble up what these scientists have to say, without going trough the whole framework of evidences and assumptions. Truth is not built on one claim alone. There are a whole basket of evidences that need to be weighed before making judgments.
This is unnecessary lecturing on genetic theories and your personal povs. It is better to cut this and come to the point you want to make. BTW, there is no necessity for scientists to accept the "acharyas on their spiritual vision and experience" (whatever that means). On the contrary, acharyas have to make their claims acceptable to science. If the claims are not bogus, then allow it be be scrutinized. And I do not see in what way these genetics and acharya claims are related to the topic at hand on the atharva-veda or on the laukika-vaidika brahmins.

It is self evident that chitpawans have a foreign mixture but I know chitpawans , many who have no semblence of foreign colored eyes or skin or features. Infact the study itself indicates a diverse group. So the onus here is to prove that the chitpawans were really never brahmins in the first place, that they usurped this title by just learning vedas. There must be proof.
On the contrary, the chitpavans need to provide proof that their ancestors were brahmins before the peshwa period.

You know what the deshastha take on this seems to indicate that the original sahayadri kund contained stories of brahmins in konkan marrying off their children with foreigners. So you still cannot explain away their brahmin origins!
There are quite a few rumors of people along the west coast. All rumors cannot be true. Please let me have a look at the "original shayadri khand" mentioning this. No dharmashastra-following brahmin wud marry off his kids to foreigners / mlecchas.

With Niyogis there is nothing unusual about these folks. They have a clear tradition that many centuries back brahmins took up clerical occupation. You need indicate evidences from real traditions that they were clearly not brahmins but kshatriyas.
Again, the niyogis need to prove that they had brahmanical connections in the past. Either thru former mutt affiliations, thru evidence of a previously existing guru-shisya parampara, or thru any form of evidence of brahmanical culture followed prior to the vijayanagar period.

As far as I am aware in the sound Indian lands as far as vindhyas and all places that come below it,there was no genuine kshatriya. The proof is in the pudding. If there was a kshatriya they would have held the yagnopaveetha ceremony. Kerala vermas made themselves into kshatriyas by taking the help of some non keralite brahmins.
Well, there is ample evidence that tribal rajas hinduized themselves and claimed to be Kshatriyas or Brahmakshatriyas. Btw, it is also claimed that in the southern lands there were no genuine brahmins either, esp in the sangam period -- there needs to be more research on this. Which is why am interested in the atharva-veda.

There are sufficiently consistent opinions on who a brahmin is , if you care to look at what shankara , madhwa , ramanuja , tradition have to say. There are other traditions but difference is essentially over the point of "whether it is by birth or by karma". The reformist tradition are right when they say that krishna says "guna karma vibhagacha"- divided based on gunas and karmas. This is the most universal truth and holds across time and space, in times even when there is no caste or religion or family structure in society. But look at the question deeper.
What is karma, Karma refers to the complete past and present.
Guna refers to a person's nature.
Can you appoint anybody on this planet who is capable of judging what is the complete basket of someone's karma? Can you appoint anybody on this planet who is capable of judging someone's gunas? People can only judge based on outwardly show and pretenses. So unless it is divinely constituted it has no validity. If it is divinely constituted and suppose it is not meant to be heriditory- any logical thinking person will say that the ways of divine is funny and atrocious. If a person whose main gunas and karmas is that of a kshatriya and he is born in a vaishya family. What will the father teach him from birth- he will teach how to make money, how to save and how to never indulge in violence. The child grows in a confused state. Like arjuna he will always be unsure of war and whether to fight or not. The worse part as a king, he will like to make business have business holding promote the interests of his son, who wants to be a businessman. Is this right for a king. The worst part is when a neighboring king attacks the population he will target the family of the peasant. Why? He is also a potential enemy because he/his son can take up the duty of a kshatriya and attack him.Is this a good moral order. Varna dharma is a profound subject whose evidence in its establishment can only be proven if all the 4 yugas come to a pass, and if the worst of kali, when varna will eventually have to dissappear comes to pass, to compare and contrast. I dont want to discuss anything more, as the proof is in the lives that people are leading, their dharma, their egos everything.
I think i made a mistake by asking you what is the brahmana way of life. Am sorry.

I think in your previous reference , you referred to this post

What is wrong if brahmins became teacher of some tribals?
Because according to the dharmashastras teaching vedas to "outsiders" is forbidden. It is quite obvious that in the shankara period and post-shankara period, kings became hinduized, so temple activity patronage grew, resulting in increased demand for brahmins (to conduct havans). So those who thot a brahmin way of life is a good way to make a living sought a vedic education and transformed themselves into brahmins. This is true of matturas and boyas.

This is again a proof that this was not a traditional practice - of living under the rules of kiratas and following their orders!

Isnt this the author's interpretation?
I would suggest that you do not pick 2-3 sentences out of context. Instead you may create a new thread to discuss how the author arrived at that interpretation and on the merits and demerits of that paper.

I again reiterate that even if such isolated events are true to what they are claimed to be, then also it needs to be proven that it was common place.
Well, i plan to blog on that someday. There is enuf material on how groups sanskritized or brahmanized themselves (even from colonial records). Here we are specifically talking about the atharva-veda and on the difference between laukika and vaidika brahmins. Not on sanskritization events or genetics or acharyas.

Further to this though I hold on to the hereditary practice of brahminhood, I dont see the whole point in all this discussion on loukika brahmins or brahma kshatriyas. If somebody is a brahmin he is a brahmin, he will do the things a brahmin is supposed to do. There are things a brahmin must do, and somethings which he must not do. If somebody is a kshatriya and he claims he is a brahmin, even if cheats some other brahmins and passes of one, I dont see how long his progeny and descendants can possibly stay in vaidika margam. To me position is clear, a vaidika brahmin is a brahmin. If there were corruptions in his lineage, it will show sooner or later. So I am not worried. What I am worried of is mass corruptions. Because that means those families who were unfortunate in such marital alliances, will have their seeds completely separated from veda margam and mass corruptions means danger is to the whole clan. But that is an eventuality because there is sooner or later, not going to be any material incentive to learn and preserve vedas.
If a brahmin is fallen or an intermarried brahmin or a deceptive brahmin time will correct itself according to the true nature of those individuals.
If a person is a vaidika , who has that heritage, whose ancestors and himself learn vedas, not with the primary motive of making money or not for other allures in society, who sincerely follow that adhyayana he can certainly consider himself a brahmin. His root is in order if he is in order.
Thats all I can say. So the question really should be who can be a brahmin and I have expressed my view which is consistent with what paramacharya says and is also consistent with bhagwat gita. The opinion of paramacharya himself is consistent with what the shastras and traditions say!
These are your POVs -- and these POVs provide no evidence for a difference between laukika brahmin and vaidika brahmin.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back