• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A Few Glimpses from South Indian History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Shri KRS,

.... I thought you were the one arguing that the Brahmins were hated even during the Sangam period by some.
No, this is not what I am arguing. My point is only that what Shri Sangom stated, the paragraph that started this line of discussion, is correct in its overall purport. The main point is that opposition to Brahminism is not a new phenomenon started for the first time by EVR/DK/DMK. There is enough evidence to show it existed as far back as roughly 1500 years and may even go back to Sangom period. I am not talking of wide-spread hatred. I do not think such wide-spread hatred exists even today, let alone during Sangam period.

I have known of Prof. Hart for more than 15 years and have interacted with him a couple of times. In as much as he is a highly regarded scholar I will always take his views very seriously, and if I have to disagree with him I will check and double-check before expressing such disagreement, and will never say he is ideologically motivated. Danino on the other hand is known to be an Aurabindo follower with a POV to espouse. So, for me to take him seriously, he needs to first get his paper published in a peer reviewed academic journal. Then, I won't just reject his paper out of hand as ideologically motivated.

I did not say that there was no opposition to Brahminism at any time.
We have agreement. We may differ on why there was opposition to Brahminism, but that is a different topic :).

Cheers!

Can you tell me why do you think so? Does the lack of rigor, if it exists also negates his arguments and how?

Dear Shri KRS,

I have gone through Shri Danino’s paper. Writing comments is a tedious task (slow, one-finger, typing) and so I am just giving the most important lacuna in his arguments. Danino cleverly and conveniently says – rather innocuously – “Also, I will not deal here with the origin of South Indian people and languages, or with the nature of the process often called “Aryanization of the South” (I prefer the word “Indianization,” used in this context by an archaeologist[13]). Those complex questions have been debated for decades, and will only reach firm conclusions, I believe, with ampler archaeological evidence”. And here lies the secret; many of the claims of Danino will become unsound or at least suspect if he were to also present the linguistic and archaeological evidences.

As for the rest, I shall try to type out my observations but by the time I present them, they may become “old”, going by the trend of discussions here.

But tell me one thing - how does one separate the role that is responsible for the pride of dravidian culture, namely Tamil and not say it could not have been carried over socially? Just does not make sense to me. If I am vilified in a foreign land socially, why would I take up the study of that land's language to the tune of improving it, while the supposition is that I am more enamored with my mother tongue, which was Sanskrit? One can not separate out and compartmentalize these things.

If Tabras constitute only less than 5% of the Tamil Nadu population today, the Tabras world-wide numbers may not, in any event, be more than 6 or 7 %. This is the position after nearly two millennia. Hence the presence of Brahmans in those Cangam era must not have been more than this. We must bear in mind that all the other classes could be called in to fight for the king, thus entailing large scale deaths, but Brahmans were exempt. Thus, in those days, the trickle of Brahmans must have been like refugees coming from different parts of the country in search of livelihood, unless it is postulated that the kings/Rulers had invited Brahmans to their country, provided them with Brahmadeyams - agrahaarams and tax-free lands which will be cultivated by the other castes, but crops will go to the upkeep and maintenance of these Brahmans - and settled them in such comfortable manner. (The increasing Brahmadeyas did cause resentment among non-Brahmins in olden days. I have read such reference and will try to get more particulars.)
We also have to consider the fact that the system of government was not even as progressive as the British colonial rule. The local ruler was all powerful and he could command all the resources even to a brutal extent if he so desired. In this sort of set-up when once the ruler decided to give power, position and landed properties to Brahmans, that was it and nobody could even whisper against it. Hence we should imagine that had as much freedom of expression existed in those days of near-dictatorships (though some of them have been eulogized in the Cangam literature by the native pāṇar as also by Brahmans who evidently found the role of the pāṇar – court musicians singing praises only of the ruler, which involved uttering falsehood also - advantageous (though this does not strictly come within the aṟutoḻil stipulated by the northern Dharmasastras. The closeness so developed helped the Brahmans immensely in their spread in Tamil land, building a caste-based society as they knew in their āryāvarta, and also obtain a hold over the rulers by luring them with Kshatriya status if only they would agree to abide by the vedic systems.

The honorifics of local rulers (ātaṉ) such as “rājasūyam veṭṭa peruṉarkkiḷḷi” and some other epithets is proof of the Brahmans having endeared themselves to some of the more powerful rulers of those times. 1

Danino’s paper is one-sided and propagates the hinutva view. Regarding his other salient arguments, I will post further.

1Paalai Gautamanaar, who was patronized by palyaanai cel keLu kuTTuvan, is stated to have performed ten yagas with help from the wisest of Brahmans. (patiRRuppattu, III. 10, Patikam.)

palyagaSAlai mudukuTumi peruvazhuti had many yAgaSAlas and he is supposed to have fought as many battles as the sacrifices performed. (This is clear evidence of the Brahmans assuring victory over enemies from their yagas. It also goes without sayinf that these vedic Brahmans must have conferred kshatriya status on the ruler, because they could not violate the rules of the Dharmasastras.) (puRam no.15.)

perum cEral irumpoRai performed the putrakamEshTi. (patiRRuppattu VII.4). (We may infer therefore, that the rAmAyaNa should have been composed at around this time in its southern version.)

Dear Sri Sangom Ji,

I have no data point to disagree or agree on the point of the Tamil Society in the times you speak of being either antoganistic or friendly to what you term as 'Aryas'.

What all I am saying is this: Seems like the TN Brahmins starting with Tolkappier (may be Agasthier himself), had a profound impact on the Tamil culture. Now, if the Tamil society then did not accept these Brahmins who followed them as 'dravidians' what prevented from expelling them outright or discriminating against them?

Dear Shri KRS,

You make two statements here. 1) You have no "data to disagree or agree on the point of the Tamil Society in the times you speak of being either antoganistic or friendly to what you term as 'Aryas'.", and 2) Seems like the TN Brahmins starting with Tolkappier (may be Agasthier himself), had a profound impact on the Tamil culture. May be the second statement is true but not in the manner in which you probably perceive what the "profound impact" was. I have tried to elaborate this point in my post # 427.

As you will observe therefrom, the Brahmans did have "profound impact" on the Tamizh society but it was of a different kind, very much akin to what the Christian Missionaries are accused of doing today. The additional advantage for Brahmans was that they knew the art of endearing themselves well with the rulers and thus they could become an unchallenged and unchallengeable group within the Tamizh people. (The Christian Missionaries of present times do not enjoy such backing from a dicatatorial ruler today.)

This in due course led to the rulers who were sympathetic to the Brahmans being "promoted" to kṣatriya status, simultaneously demoting the veḷir, who were the most powerful section of society then, to śūdra category within the cour-caste model with which the Brahmans had ensured for themselves unquestioned supremacy in the Aryan society.

It will be difficult to accept any of these premises, for a person who feels that Brahmans could not have been of this sort, or that they (Brahmans) were the exact living models of the highly idealized descriptions made in the (sanskrit) scriptures about the Brahmans.

We do not find such instances. On the contrary, we find them well integrated in to the society and the only large scale jarring note we find is when EVR arrived at the scene. Can you prove that there were upheavals against the Brahmins to the tune of what EVR did, before his time?

If you can show me that, then I agree that the caste system was not accepted by the TN people for a very long time and it was forced upon them.
Jarring instances from the Cangam period till the advent of the British would be very difficult to unearth but are not absent. I shall try to present what I can, with suitable citation, because I am sure you will not be ready to accept my statement from memory.

It was only with the advent of the British that there was some relaxation in the autocratic reign of native rulers and some rudimentary signs of egalitarianism, though very very weak. When the British got a suspicion, in the course of a few decades of Brahman predominance in the governmental jobs and their virtually dominating the society keeping the British officials in the background, and Brahmans simultaneously joining in large numbers the Home Rule League of Besant, some cases of anti-British activities like those of Vanchinathan, Va.Ve.Su. Ayyar, Subramania Bharati, etc., they felt that the Brahmans were trying to displace the British with the help of whatever native forces possible and then to rule TN as the overlords. The adamant attitude of Congress which was dominated by Brahmans in not yielding any ground for proportional represenatation to NBs further confirmed the British misgivings. That was when they started working against Brahman interests vehemently and promoting the divide and rule policy.

To refuse to see the entire picture and to highlight only the culmination of many lapses on the part of Brahmans, may be the proper political stance that will suit us tabras today but, to me, it seems that we Brahmans should be able to see truth beyond our self-interests.

I thought, we are discussing in this thread, how historically our forefathers raped the non brahmins and hence the existing hatred. Is this not the premise of this thread?

Regards,
KRS
This clearly betrays your emotional involvement with the topic - not suitable for a moderator.

Historically our forefathers were instrumental in keeping the entire non-Brahmin groups as sudras. I will not rule out the possibility of some Brahmans forcibly subjecting non-brahman women to their desires also. After all, such instances did exist even in the last century and some of our very well-known Tabra personalities had clandestine relationships with NB women which was open secret. Whether these women were raped (according to the present Indian law or not), is not known but such instances cannot be entirely ruled out. And if this was the situation in the last century when the British were exiting, the situation in the earlier eras can well be imagined, what with the Brahmins being unquestioned apex of the social structure.

Last edited:
Dear Sri suraju06 Ji,

You can of course disagree with Moderation, but the rule is that the Moderator's decisions/editing are final.

What lies behind the form is it's content. So, when it comes to saying words that are directed against a fellow Forum member both apply. I am watching this very closely now for obvious reasons.

I am moderating actively so that folks won't need to quit because of a fellow member's words against them. But if the Moderator's comments makes one to quit that only means one thing - one does not listen properly to the Moderator's advance/numerous warnings.

Let me also reiterate this: Moderator's only allegiance is towards the Forum's overall health. Moderating decisions are in no way ideologically driven, in terms of taking sides.

Regards,
KRS

Dear KRS Sir,
This is not a complaint and I am not disputing your decision.I know I am not supposed to. You have edited out seven of my sentences and I find that the thrust of my argument has not been affected by this editing. I hold every one who comes here with their views in respect and as far as my posts are concerned, I am focused and intense when i take up some thing in my hand. Of course I do understand that at times form is more important than even the content. I will continue to post. When I find that the things are becoming too intrusive, I will just quit without making any announcement because I know I am not supposed to make any such announcement. Cheers.

Dear Sangom Sir, Your words are in quote:

Dear Shri Suraju,
Its author is one orampokiyār, a.k.a. orampotiyār, orerpokiyār. This person is held to be a tiller (uzhavar), a kāmpotiyar, etc. (Ref: Commentary of U.Ve. Swaminatha Aiyar). If the statement that the author was a kāmpotiyar, indicates that he is not of ancient Tamizh descent, it is but natural that he would include pārppār otuka (may the seers, Brahmans, recite). A tiller and bard may not be expected to deal with how the society looked upon its particular sections, especially when dealing with a household as the topic.
(1)What is it that make this poet “not of ancient tamil descent”? Could you please elaborate. What makes it natural for the bard , if he is not of ancient tamil origin, to make him say paarpaar othuka? It appears you are very opinionated about ancient tamils.
(2)If a tiller and a bard is not expected to deal with how the society looked upon its particular sections who else is expected to do that? And what are the underlying reasons for this statement?

Dear Shri Suraju,

I said that orampokiyār is not of ancient (indigenous) Tamizh descent because I interpret kāmpotiyar to mean a person from Kamboja. I hope I am correct. It is because Kambhojas and Pahlavas (who came to be known as Pallavas in the south) are stated to have been defeated by Gautameeputra Saatakarni and that they then migrated south. Please correct me with supporting evidence if this is wrong. And if orampotiyar was a Kambhoja or only one or two generations from original migrants, he should still hold high opinion about the vedic religion. (BTW, the Kambhojas were supposed to be the best of Veda teachers.)

All these anthologies are supposed to have been sung in praise of some local ruler or the other, in his presence, in order to get gifts in return, or else they were presented to a learned assembly (the Cangam) usually presided over by the ruler. In either case one cannot expect uninhibited, secular poetry to be expressed in such fora. That is why I said that an ordinary tiller would not have dared to express his true emotions but only what was safe and beneficial to him. Hope my thinking is not prejudiced.

You do not wish well unless you have some regard and love for some one or something. Moreover this poet continuously in the next few poems wishes this way:
“நெல் பல பொலிக . பொன் பெரிது சிறக்க ,விளைக வயலே , வருக இரவலர் ,ஊரன் கேண்மை வழி வழிச் சிறக்க ,, பால் பல ஊறுக , பகடு பல சிறக்க . வாழ்க்கை பொலிக , etc. If you read this in that context you will understand that the poet was only wishing the Brahmins to chant so that Aathan’s country prospered. The wellwishers wish well only if they think some one is doing something good and hence are liked.
I have to repeat what I said above. While the secular wishes like நெல் பல பொலிக, பொன் பெரிது சிறக்க, விளைக வயலே, பால் பல ஊறுக, பகடு பல சிறக்க. வாழ்க்கை பொலிக, can be understood as genuine wishes, it is not sensible to suppose that a tiller-cum-bard will be genuinely interested in பார்ப்பார் ஓதுக, ஊரன் கேண்மை வழி வழிச் சிறக்க, etc. These are to be considered as the mandatory minimum needs for such compilations.

Yes the Vedas were in Sanskrit no doubt but the ordinary man did not think that it really mattered. Today you and I who speak in English and even discuss this subject in English here right now are not looked at as strange creatures by the society. Similarly for the common man then it was clear that he had no time to study scriptures and Brahmins devoted time to that particular endeavor. What they chanted was about God and that was enough for the common man. If Brahmins of that era were sore thumbs you and I too are sore thumbs today!!
It looks as if these statements come out of direct, on-the-spot observations when statements like "Similarly for the common man then it was clear that he had no time to study scriptures and Brahmins devoted time to that particular endeavor. What they chanted was about God and that was enough for the common man." Is it not probable that the common folk did not understand anything about what the Brahmans were chanting and hence named all that as மறை (that which is hidden, not clear, unintelligible)? When they did not understand what the Brahmans were uttering how will it satisfy anyone if it is simply told that some god is being propitiated by such unintelligible prayer? (May be this is true now, after nearly two millenia and even we tabras are satisfied with merely hearing the mantras without being able to understand even a word of that; but does that automatically imply that the ordinary Tamil tiller, who could compose verses in satisfactory Tamil would also have been equally satisfied? We tabras have a vested interest in Brahman rituals now; those Tamils need not have entertained such feelings.)

It is the same ordinary human nature which makes my villagers not to show any intolerance to me and my friends, though we are not an exotic group ( by the way I am not sure what is so exotic about the situation) whenever we visit our village and speak in English among ourselves. You would sure agree that English is as much an alien tongue as Sanskrit is to the idaiyar, ulavar etc quoted by you who live in our villages even today. Sangom Sir, In old tamil society the people did not have politicians among them who had a need to sell hatred, tell lies and divide and rule. You were accepted with all your special beliefs and practices and even peculiarities as long as you did not interfere adversely with the life of others because the society recognized that you are as much a part of the society as every one else is and hence there was no malice. Edtd - KRS You are far far away from truth.
Cheers.
The emphasized portion (emphasis mine) is correct. But in the place of politicians and democracy, there were chieftains and rulers, and autocracy or dictatorship of a good level. Brahmans had the knack of endearing themselves to these autocrats and that was why the entire subjected population meekly accepted the Brahmans, just as they accepted the Jain and Buddhist monks also. But history teaches us that where the Buddhists and Jains failed miserably, the Brahmanas succeeded in ingratiating themselves with the ruling powers from time to time and were able to wipe out Jainism and Buddhism from the south itself ultimately. Where Brahmanas failed was in their inter-sectarian contests and even here, they did try their age-old trick; but probably no particular sect emerged completely victorious probably because, as the saying goes பாம்பின் கால் பாம்புக்குத் தெரியும் (a snake knows the path of another).

Lest you feel hurt, let me clarify that it is this proverb which comes to my mind at this moment and, in any case, I am not describing any particular sect as snake.

... Can you prove that there were upheavals against the Brahmins to the tune of what EVR did, before his time?
Yes, absolutely Shri KRS. First, there are academic journal articles published after a peer review process, that show that vedic Brahmins migrated from the north and cleverly jockeyed themselves, over a period of time, into positions of wealth, power, and influence. But, to answer your above specific question, it is clear that during Kalabhara period, immediately after the Sangam period, the Brahmins were beaten back by many orders of magnitudes compared to the present times. I give below a passage from a Wiki article.
Kalabhras, by invading the Tamil country, disturbed the prevailing order. The Velvikudi inscriptions of the third regnal year of Pandya king Nedunjadaiyan (c.765 – c. 815) say that Pandya king Mudukudumi Peruvaludi gave the village of Velvikudi as brahmadeya (gift to a Brahmins). It was enjoyed for a long time. Then a Kali king named Kalabhran took possession of the extensive earth, driving away numberless great kings.
If this is believable, then there indeed was a time when the Brahmins faced severe hardship, not to the tune of the present times, but several multiples more severe.

Cheers!

... What I meant is that, they were not specifically womanizers or drinkers or lived lavish lives, but they did not spend time thinking about , the lower sections interested in spirituality. .

pviyer,

sir may i beg to differ on your belief re tambrams not being womanizers or drinkers. not sure where you got that idea, but i come from a pattar background, where it was very common, (& preferred i would say) for a tharvad to have relationships with nair women. also affairs with the maids are not unknown.

i am quite sure that tamil nadu households have similar stories. money and position corrupts. we are no exception to it.:)

Dear Sri pviyer Ji,

Can you establish why you are saying the blue highlighted sentence below? Please back up your comment with relevant citations.

I am so far under the impression that as a caste the Brahmins more or less kept the order in the Hindu society by their practice of the prescribed dharma till well in to the British rule.

Now you seem to say that the Brahmins, especially in TN, became selfish much before that. This is why I need more citations from you. Thanks.

Regards,
KRS

KRS Sir says
I only partially agree with you sir. TBS had deteriorated in values from the times of Silapadikaram. Even in 17 th century we did not meet the standards of the brahmins as described in that text. But as a community( nobody can defend entire set of individuals), by and large, we have not indulged in things like stealing money and land, torturing lower sections etc. I think the average brahmin of that time seemed to be focussed on the welfare of his family as a primary goal, lokakshemam was somehow subordinate to his selfish goals and desire for comforts that could be fit in with his desire to live by his shastras. What I meant is that, they were not specifically womanizers or drinkers or lived lavish lives, but they did not spend time thinking about , helping the lower sections interested in spirituality. Isnt it the duty of the brahmin, not to focus on his own rituals alone,but be as a guru to the society. When someone vacates one's responsibility another is ready to take over. But I do agree that our ancestors deserved recognition for being lamps in world enveloped in darkness. There is ample evidence that even in 17 th century maharastrians and others had a high respect for tamil brahmins. The people who criticize us, need to examine how their own ancestors were towards( sections lower to them) and to their own women.

Dear Professor Nara Ji,

As Roseanna Rosannadana would say, 'Never Mind!'. We agree then :)

One comment I want to make. As I have said, I read various things on the internet on a given topic and more times than not I don't even know any ideological bent of the article I am reading. But if I read nonsensical information I tend to remember those authors for future reference.

But I do take information that appeals to my logic, irrespective of where it comes from. If something is not logical to me, I will not accept it even it comes from Lord Shiva. If something sounds logical, I don't care who the source is - I will accept it.

Because of your postings, I have come across Professor Hart. I have been reading his blogs with much interest. I agree he is an academic scholar.

But that in no way negates the fact that a person named Michel Danino has researched with citations and has laid out his conclusions out there. Okay, he may not get a job as a Professor somewhere because of his not publishing in an accredited journal, but just because he is a follower of Sri Aurobindoo. He is citing the archeological evidences.

Everyone has a pov (as you well know - I have read your old incarnation words :)). Even the scientists have them, we just call them interests, postulates, etc.

It is a pity that you think that you are wasting your time reading such articles while reading for example Professor Krugman's articles on topics where he was not trained, just because he won a Nobel in Economics! Is this not a double standard?

Regards,
KRS

Dear Shri KRS,

No, this is not what I am arguing. My point is only that what Shri Sangom stated, the paragraph that started this line of discussion, is correct in its overall purport. The main point is that opposition to Brahminism is not a new phenomenon started for the first time by EVR/DK/DMK. There is enough evidence to show it existed as far back as roughly 1500 years and may even go back to Sangom period. I am not talking of wide-spread hatred. I do not think such wide-spread hatred exists even today, let alone during Sangam period.

I have known of Prof. Hart for more than 15 years and have interacted with him a couple of times. In as much as he is a highly regarded scholar I will always take his views very seriously, and if I have to disagree with him I will check and double-check before expressing such disagreement, and will never say he is ideologically motivated. Danino on the other hand is known to be an Aurabindo follower with a POV to espouse. So, for me to take him seriously, he needs to first get his paper published in a peer reviewed academic journal. Then, I won't just reject his paper out of hand as ideologically motivated.

We have agreement. We may differ on why there was opposition to Brahminism, but that is a different topic :).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dear Sri Sangom Ji,

My response in 'blue':
Dear Shri KRS,

I have gone through Shri Danino’s paper. Writing comments is a tedious task (slow, one-finger, typing) and so I am just giving the most important lacuna in his arguments. Danino cleverly and conveniently says – rather innocuously – “Also, I will not deal here with the origin of South Indian people and languages, or with the nature of the process often called “Aryanization of the South” (I prefer the word “Indianization,” used in this context by an archaeologist[13]). Those complex questions have been debated for decades, and will only reach firm conclusions, I believe, with ampler archaeological evidence”. And here lies the secret; many of the claims of Danino will become unsound or at least suspect if he were to also present the linguistic and archaeological evidences.
Yes, sir, I agree. The bread is buttered on both sides. What we are looking for is the unvarnished truth, backed up by concrete evidence

As for the rest, I shall try to type out my observations but by the time I present them, they may become “old”, going by the trend of discussions here.

If Tabras constitute only less than 5% of the Tamil Nadu population today, the Tabras world-wide numbers may not, in any event, be more than 6 or 7 %. This is the position after nearly two millennia. Hence the presence of Brahmans in those Cangam era must not have been more than this. We must bear in mind that all the other classes could be called in to fight for the king, thus entailing large scale deaths, but Brahmans were exempt. Thus, in those days, the trickle of Brahmans must have been like refugees coming from different parts of the country in search of livelihood, unless it is postulated that the kings/Rulers had invited Brahmans to their country, provided them with Brahmadeyams - agrahaarams and tax-free lands which will be cultivated by the other castes, but crops will go to the upkeep and maintenance of these Brahmans - and settled them in such comfortable manner. (The increasing Brahmadeyas did cause resentment among non-Brahmins in olden days. I have read such reference and will try to get more particulars.)
Sir, actually by edict, the dharma of Brahmins enjoined them to go to battle if it came down to the Kshatrias and Vaisyas not able to defend, the Brahmins were supposed to step in. This why the Brahmins were supposed to learn all the Shastras and trained in them, including the Martial Art. We have ample examples in our Puranas. By the way, our Shastras expressly forbade Shudras to take part in any defence of the territory, for obvious reasons of food production.

I wonder whether your examples that support your conclusions above are exceptions to the the rule.

We also have to consider the fact that the system of government was not even as progressive as the British colonial rule. The local ruler was all powerful and he could command all the resources even to a brutal extent if he so desired. In this sort of set-up when once the ruler decided to give power, position and landed properties to Brahmans, that was it and nobody could even whisper against it. Hence we should imagine that had as much freedom of expression existed in those days of near-dictatorships (though some of them have been eulogized in the Cangam literature by the native pāṇar as also by Brahmans who evidently found the role of the pāṇar – court musicians singing praises only of the ruler, which involved uttering falsehood also - advantageous (though this does not strictly come within the aṟutoḻil stipulated by the northern Dharmasastras. The closeness so developed helped the Brahmans immensely in their spread in Tamil land, building a caste-based society as they knew in their āryāvarta, and also obtain a hold over the rulers by luring them with Kshatriya status if only they would agree to abide by the vedic systems.
Sir, you hit the nail on it's head. Yes, the Hindu society was not progressive, in terms of the modern mores, not even in terms of the renaissance period. Please do not look at that society with today's glasses of individual freedom and justice. A system that was developed so long ago, obviously degenerated and was vulnerable to both the British rule and the accompanying industrial revolution. Our religion and it's structure never was designed to withstand such changes. So to single out a minority group, who were vested with the safe keeping of the flames of Sanatana Dharma, while taking poverty and asceticism in exchange for the knowledge, is not fair.

The honorifics of local rulers (ātaṉ) such as “rājasūyam veṭṭa peruṉarkkiḷḷi” and some other epithets is proof of the Brahmans having endeared themselves to some of the more powerful rulers of those times. 1
Again, Brahmins did not 'endear' themselves. The structure of that society was such that, each had a role and things fell in to place. Nothing to do with some mischief perpetrated by the Brahmins.

Danino’s paper is one-sided and propagates the hinutva view. Regarding his other salient arguments, I will post further.
Okay. By the way, I do not agree with the overriding political philosophy of Hindutva.

1Paalai Gautamanaar, who was patronized by palyaanai cel keLu kuTTuvan, is stated to have performed ten yagas with help from the wisest of Brahmans. (patiRRuppattu, III. 10, Patikam.)

palyagaSAlai mudukuTumi peruvazhuti had many yAgaSAlas and he is supposed to have fought as many battles as the sacrifices performed. (This is clear evidence of the Brahmans assuring victory over enemies from their yagas. It also goes without sayinf that these vedic Brahmans must have conferred kshatriya status on the ruler, because they could not violate the rules of the Dharmasastras.) (puRam no.15.)
Of course Brahmins made sure the survival of Hinduism as they knew it - otherwise we will all be following Buddhism or Jainism! Now the merits of that is a different topic.

perum cEral irumpoRai performed the putrakamEshTi. (patiRRuppattu VII.4). (We may infer therefore, that the rAmAyaNa should have been composed at around this time in its southern version.)

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear Professor Nara Ji.

My nativity is Trichy - Woraiyur is just a stones throw away from my home there, where my mom still lives.

I don't know whether the Kalahbra story is true - as you know it is not conclusively proven yet - either way it does not matter.

What I am interested in is whether there were any INTERNAL mass scale opposition to Brahminism in the times we are speaking of. I know that there were external forces aligned against it, like Buddhism, Jainism and what not.

Before EVR and the British, I am afraid, one can not conclusively prove that the Hindu society as represented by Brahminism was fractured large scale, because the local Hindus opposed and resented the Brahmin's role in their religion.

Regards,
KRS

Yes, absolutely Shri KRS. First, there are academic journal articles published after a peer review process, that show that vedic Brahmins migrated from the north and cleverly jockeyed themselves, over a period of time, into positions of wealth, power, and influence. But, to answer your above specific question, it is clear that during Kalabhara period, immediately after the Sangam period, the Brahmins were beaten back by many orders of magnitudes compared to the present times. I give below a passage from a Wiki article.
Kalabhras, by invading the Tamil country, disturbed the prevailing order. The Velvikudi inscriptions of the third regnal year of Pandya king Nedunjadaiyan (c.765 – c. 815) say that Pandya king Mudukudumi Peruvaludi gave the village of Velvikudi as brahmadeya (gift to a Brahmins). It was enjoyed for a long time. Then a Kali king named Kalabhran took possession of the extensive earth, driving away numberless great kings.
If this is believable, then there indeed was a time when the Brahmins faced severe hardship, not to the tune of the present times, but several multiples more severe.

Cheers!

Dear Sangom Sir,
Your words are in quote:
I said that orampokiyār is not of ancient (indigenous) Tamizh descent because I interpret kāmpotiyar to mean a person from Kamboja. I hope I am correct. It is because Kambhojas and Pahlavas (who came to be known as Pallavas in the south) are stated to have been defeated by Gautameeputra Saatakarni and that they then migrated south. Please correct me with supporting evidence if this is wrong. And if orampotiyar was a Kambhoja or only one or two generations from original migrants, he should still hold high opinion about the vedic religion. (BTW, the Kambhojas were supposed to be the best of Veda teachers.)

This is a laboured attempt at finding something which is not at all there. To derive ஓரம்போடியார் from the word ஓரம்போகியார் (while ஓரம்போகியார் itself makes enough sense in tamil) and then leaving ஒ from it and introducing க there in place of ர to make it kampotiyar and then to bring in kambhojas into the picture is nothing but a laboured attempt. This is worse than the popular Malayalam joke of “நம்பூதிரி சமுத்திரத்தில் குளிச்சு ”. It is interesting to note all this effort is taken only to make this poet a brahmin or a brahmin supporter. A European would feel exasperated by all this and would call it nit-picking and would quit the discussion whereas a young Brahmin of today would shrug his shoulders and laugh at himself for our immense capacity to do hair-splitting.

All these anthologies are supposed to have been sung in praise of some local ruler or the other, in his presence, in order to get gifts in return, or else they were presented to a learned assembly (the Cangam) usually presided over by the ruler. In either case one cannot expect uninhibited, secular poetry to be expressed in such fora. That is why I said that an ordinary tiller would not have dared to express his true emotions but only what was safe and beneficial to him. Hope my thinking is not prejudiced.

Not all these poems in the anthologies will fit into your definition. If your view is to be accepted then none of the poems in all the three sangam period anthologies would throw any light on the life of the people of that age because all of them would be just the product of fertile imagination of a bard seeking rewards from his ruler. I don’t find any historian taking such a dim view of these anthologies. If you have come across any please let me know. In your anxiety to defend your position I think you are painting with a very broad brush all these anthologies as a pack of lies.

It looks as if these statements come out of direct, on-the-spot observations when statements like "Similarly for the common man then it was clear that he had no time to study scriptures and Brahmins devoted time to that particular endeavor. What they chanted was about God and that was enough for the common man." Is it not probable that the common folk did not understand anything about what the Brahmans were chanting and hence named all that as மறை (that which is hidden, not clear, unintelligible)?

Sangom Sir, we are expressing the conclusions we draw from evidences available(which is a logical thought process) and this is known to you as well as me. Hence there is no need to hit below the belt by saying “ looks as if these statements come from direct observations”. Now my question to you: Is it not more probable that in an age of fear for everything in the primordial nature, the common people from the Tamil society would have done away with the group of people who were chanting some mumbo jumbo and were conducting fiery rituals in an alien language rather than allow them to continue? If this did not happen and they were allowed to carry on their practices and were rather held in esteem it would only mean that the Tamil Society at that time was far more mature and was able to understand that these people were talking of some thing about which very few in their own society spoke and what these people spoke made a lot of sense though they found their scriptures to be in a different language.

When they did not understand what the Brahmans were uttering how will it satisfy anyone if it is simply told that some god is being propitiated by such unintelligible prayer? (May be this is true now, after nearly two millenia and even we tabras are satisfied with merely hearing the mantras without being able to understand even a word of that)

I have already given my points for this above. The ancient Tamils understood that it was about God and that was enough for them because they did not have the time to go after that kind of knowledge. My wife( a post graduate in her subject which is not science) the other day bought a camera and was proud of it because it was specified that it would take pictures at 10.5 mega pixel. When I asked her what it means she said it means better picture quality. When I tried to explain to her what is a pixel and how the more of it gives a better quality in the reproduction of a photo taken, she listened just out of her love and regard for me(I keep telling her such things in science and she keeps pretending she listens intently).Obviously, for her it was enough that she had purchased her money’s worth of pixels. In the same way for the ancient tamils it was enough that Brahmins were chanting some thing that pleased the gods. They did not have the time or inclination to know the meaning of the chants. After the few millennia those ******* who are satisfied with the mantras without knowing the meaning are also in the same class. I won’t call any of them-the ancient tamils, my wife, or the present day *******- as stupid people who did not know what they were doing.
We tabras have a vested interest in Brahman rituals now; those Tamils need not have entertained such feelings.)
There was and there is no vested interest whatsoever. Each section of the society in those days knew what they did very well. Each section of the society also believed and appreciated what the other sections did even though they did not understand it the way they understood what they did themselves. This is what I mean when I stress ‘ there was no malice’.

The emphasized portion (emphasis mine) is correct. But in the place of politicians and democracy, there were chieftains and rulers, and autocracy or dictatorship of a good level. Brahmans had the knack of endearing themselves to these autocrats and that was why the entire subjected population meekly accepted the Brahmans, just as they accepted the Jain and Buddhist monks also. But history teaches us that where the Buddhists and Jains failed miserably, the Brahmanas succeeded in ingratiating themselves with the ruling powers from time to time and were able to wipe out Jainism and Buddhism from the south itself ultimately. Where Brahmanas failed was in their inter-sectarian contests and even here, they did try their age-old trick; but probably no particular sect emerged completely victorious probably because, as the saying goes பாம்பின் கால் பாம்புக்குத் தெரியும் (a snake knows the path of another).
Lest you feel hurt, let me clarify that it is this proverb which comes to my mind at this moment and, in any case, I am not describing any particular sect as snake.

Dear Sri suraju06 I have deleted again your sentences that imply that Sri Sangom Ji is not a Brahmin. This is just not acceptable. This is a final warning to you not to do anymore what you just did - it was a personal attack on him. Irrespective of the fact that he has taken it lightly, I as a Moderator can not allow you to keep on writing this way. Either check your emotions and post in a civil manner or don't post. Next time this happens you will incur infractions. This is my last warning. - KRS

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Sangom Sir,
Your words are in quote:

This is a laboured attempt at finding something which is not at all there. To derive ஓரம்போடியார் from the word ஓரம்போகியார் (while ஓரம்போகியார் itself makes enough sense in tamil) and then leaving ஒ from it and introducing க there in place of ர to make it kampotiyar and then to bring in kambhojas into the picture is nothing but a laboured attempt. This is worse than the popular Malayalam joke of “நம்பூதிரி சமுத்திரத்தில் குளிச்சு ”. It is interesting to note all this effort is taken only to make this poet a brahmin or a brahmin supporter. A European would feel exasperated by all this and would call it nit-picking and would quit the discussion whereas a young Brahmin of today would shrug his shoulders and laugh at himself for our immense capacity to do hair-splitting.
Shri Suraju,

May be it is a "laboured attempt at finding something which is not at all there", that "this is worse than the popular Malayalam joke of “நம்பூதிரி சமுத்திரத்தில் குளிச்சு ”", that "it is interesting to note all this effort is taken only to make this poet a brahmin or a brahmin supporter", and that "a European would feel exasperated by all this and would call it nit-picking and would quit the discussion whereas a young Brahmin of today would shrug his shoulders and laugh at himself for our immense capacity to do hair-splitting", but the entire mischief is not mine but that of Mahamahopadhyaya, Dakshinatya Kalanidhi, Dr. U. V. Swaminatha Ayyar who seemed to have harboured such mischief in his mind!! His urai is:

2. æóñ¢«ð£è¤ò££¢ :- Þï¢Ëô¤ù¢ ºîô¢ Ëø£è¤ò ñ¼îîð¢ ð£®ò Þõó¢ è¬ìê¢êé¢è𢠹ôõ¼÷¢ å¼õó¢. Þõó¢ ªðòó¢ æóñ¢«ð£î¤ò£ó¢ âù¢Áñ¢, æ«óó¢«ð£è¤ò£ó¢ âù¢Áñ¢, åù¢ù£ó¢ àöõó¢ âù¢Áñ¢, è£ñ¢«ð£î¤ò£ó¢ âù¢Áñ¢ ð¤óî¤è÷¤ô¢ «õÁðì¢´è¢ è£íð¢ð´è¤ù¢ø¶. Þõó¢ ñ¼îî¢î¤¬íò¤ù¢ õ÷é¢è¬÷ à÷¢À¬ø»õ¬ñ Þ¬øê¢ê¤ ºîô¤ò ïòé¢è÷¢ «î£ù¢ø õ¤÷é¢èð¢ ð£´îô¤ô¢ ñ¤è¢è Ýø¢ø½¬ìòõó¢.

I take it that the description "kampotiyar" is not a deliberate twist given by U.V.S. but the actual description which he found in some mss. The rest is left to the readers to judge.

Not all these poems in the anthologies will fit into your definition. If your view is to be accepted then none of the poems in all the three sangam period anthologies would throw any light on the life of the people of that age because all of them would be just the product of fertile imagination of a bard seeking rewards from his ruler. I don’t find any historian taking such a dim view of these anthologies. If you have come across any please let me know. In your anxiety to defend your position I think you are painting with a very broad brush all these anthologies as a pack of lies.
By the term "canga ilakkiyam" I thought we were dealing with a set of literary pieces which were (supposed to have been) presented before the Cangam for its approval as qualifying a certain quality level; I am also under the impression that this cangam was invariably presided by the ruler. If so, I would not expect anything which does not conform to the norms acceptable to the assembly, including what sort of criticism can be allowed or unpalatable truths could also be aired freely.

Sangom Sir, we are expressing the conclusions we draw from evidences available(which is a logical thought process) and this is known to you as well as me. Hence there is no need to hit below the belt by saying “ looks as if these statements come from direct observations”.
If my statement hurts you I apologize but your conclusion "Similarly for the common man then it was clear that he had no time to study scriptures and Brahmins devoted time to that particular endeavor. What they chanted was about God and that was enough for the common man.", especially the assertion that "it was enough for the common man" looked quite different from a logical conclusion - without direct evidence - which will be more like "it could have been sufficient for the common man to know...". Hence my observation that you are not allowing even a possibility that there could be some other reason as well.

Is it not probable that the common folk did not understand anything about what the Brahmans were chanting and hence named all that as மறை (that which is hidden, not clear, unintelligible)?
I note that you do not want to address this point.

Now my question to you: Is it not more probable that in an age of fear for everything in the primordial nature, the common people from the Tamil society would have done away with the group of people who were chanting some mumbo jumbo and were conducting fiery rituals in an alien language rather than allow them to continue? If this did not happen and they were allowed to carry on their practices and were rather held in esteem it would only mean that the Tamil Society at that time was far more mature and was able to understand that these people were talking of some thing about which very few in their own society spoke and what these people spoke made a lot of sense though they found their scriptures to be in a different language.
IMO this is where the social structure, or, the system of government prevailing those days has to be taken into account. Under monarchy which was more a dictatorship, it would not have been possible for the tillers and others to drive away the Brahmans who had ingratiated themselves to the ruler, except at the cost of their lives. There are research papers which give enough evidence of these but I am not permitted to reproduce them here. However you may try to access the following, if possible:

1. JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

2. "Non-Brahmana Resistance to the Expansion of Brahmadeyas' The Early Pandyan Experience", IHC Proceedings, Annamalai, 1984", Rajan Gurukkal

I have already given my points for this above. The ancient Tamils understood that it was about God and that was enough for them because they did not have the time to go after that kind of knowledge. My wife( a post graduate in her subject which is not science) the other day bought a camera and was proud of it because it was specified that it would take pictures at 10.5 mega pixel. When I asked her what it means she said it means better picture quality. When I tried to explain to her what is a pixel and how the more of it gives a better quality in the reproduction of a photo taken, she listened just out of her love and regard for me(I keep telling her such things in science and she keeps pretending she listens intently).Obviously, for her it was enough that she had purchased her money’s worth of pixels. In the same way for the ancient tamils it was enough that Brahmins were chanting some thing that pleased the gods. They did not have the time or inclination to know the meaning of the chants. After the few millennia those ******* who are satisfied with the mantras without knowing the meaning are also in the same class. I won’t call any of them-the ancient tamils, my wife, or the present day *******- as stupid people who did not know what they were doing.

There was and there is no vested interest whatsoever. Each section of the society in those days knew what they did very well. Each section of the society also believed and appreciated what the other sections did even though they did not understand it the way they understood what they did themselves. This is what I mean when I stress ‘ there was no malice’.

This is just your point of view. Brahmins do not think it is correct. They look at it differently.
Once again I see only a very firm point of view without any logical reasoning or evidence to support it. This is belief or pov. Hence there is no purpose in discussing further except that I would not be too sure about what was the mindset of Tamil people in the Cangam age and so on.

Lastly even if there is an innuendo that I am not Brahman, I do not mind.

Dear Shri KRS,

.....As Roseanna Rosannadana would say, 'Never Mind!'.
Gilda Radner was a hoot, Roseanna Dana routine was one of her best.

But that in no way negates the fact that a person named Michel Danino has researched with citations and has laid out his conclusions out there. Okay, he may not get a job as a Professor somewhere because of his not publishing in an accredited journal, but just because he is a follower of Sri Aurobindoo. He is citing the archeological evidences.
Danino (i) lacks the scholarly qualifications, (ii) has a predisposition to a particular POV, and (iii) his paper appears in his own web-site, and (iv) the "evidences" he furnishes are not whetted by any kind of review process -- in other words it is no more than a blog. That is four strikes against him. Still, I did read a few pages of his paper quite carefully. Even after realizing this was just a bunch of opinions I still read on, but not carefully. IMO, this paper is not worthy of being cited as evidence of anything. One can read it and enjoy it, if he/she shares his views.

All this said, Shri. KRS, if you want me to discuss his paper you have to first summarize (i) what his main thesis is and (ii) what archeological evidence that he has provided supports his thesis. This will give some focus. If you do that, I will try to discuss it further.

It is a pity that you think that you are wasting your time reading such articles while reading for example Professor Krugman's articles on topics where he was not trained, just because he won a Nobel in Economics! Is this not a double standard?
Ha, Paul again! Paul Krugman's opeds are mostly on economics. In fact I don't remember the last time I read one that was not on economics. I cited him here only couple of times and only on economic topics. If you think I cited him on topics in which he is not qualified please give the link to that post. There is no double standard from my side, but when you equate your approval of Danino to me citing Krugman on economic issues, you sound quite desperate :)!

...I don't know whether the Kalahbra story is true - as you know it is not conclusively proven yet - either way it does not matter.
When it comes to Indian/Tamil history that far back in time, nothing can be proved conclusively. While Jainism and Buddism, like Brahminism, were imports, by the time of Kalabhras -- the time of Thirukkural, Cilapathikaram and Manimekalai, etc. -- both Jainsim and Buddism were very wide spread among Tamils. So, any opposition to Brahminism by these Jain Tamils and Buddist Tamils is very much internal, not from outside.

Cheers!

i have heard that u.v.s. iyer, even though he loved tamil, was really a man of his times re caste attitudes. i have read somewhere, which i can look up, if anyone is curious, that he denied parting his erudition to folks from lower castes, though i do not know how low he refused to stoop :(

which probably explains, that not much is made of him by the dravidian folks, considering that uvs really did contribute a lot. if someone does not show respect or dignity, it does not matter how great their contribution might be. self dignity and self comes furthermost in anyone's concept of self.

Krs Sir says
Can you establish why you are saying the blue highlighted sentence below? Please back up your comment with relevant citations.

I am so far under the impression that as a caste the Brahmins more or less kept the order in the Hindu society by their practice of the prescribed dharma till well in to the British rule.

Sir, I have never disputed that many of our ancestors did their best to practice rituals. But we have a number of recorded evils, including as Kunjuppu Sir says, he knows some who had affairs with women other than his wife. Unlike him I dont agree that it was very rampant in TN. I dont see evidence of that and I don't agree. But that is not all. I am standing only by some well accepted facts. Two examples
1. Untouchability as a practice existed before British came. Brahmins may not have been the cause for it, but in a crowd of millions, I find it difficult to believe that brahmins could not find even one good natured and religious tempered untouchable. The least he could have done is spiritually guide him. However as an addition, there were some wandering saints who did help the lot of untouchables.
2. Devadasi system- Again I am certain that brahmins did not invent the evil practices of this system. But as spiritual people they should have tried to do something about it by advising someone.
These two facts certainly indicate narrow mindedness, short sightedness if not anything else.
Why is it that when the British came many brahmins stopped going deep into vedas, and mesmerized completely by the unholy and deluding views of the westerners suddenly jumped into western education. I know that lot of people respected tradition but look at the majority. There has to be a reason things like that happen, it cannot be sudden.The standard of Brahmins has always been coming down. The innocent brahmins of silapadikaram are far far away from Brahmins of 17 th century. This is the effect of Kali yuga. Brahmins already deteriorated by atheistic cults and were rescued by Adi Shankara. However within sometime we started quarreling among ourselves. Even as earlier as 1893 Rajam Iyer has written a novel in Tamil , depicting people of Tanjore in a malicious way. This is not something to be admired that our people behave like this. Sir as you have asked I am not sure I can give you a quotation from any book. But I can say that either appaiah dikshithar or is it his nephew Nilakanta dikshithar mentioned about the flaws of kali yuga with some priests pretending to be holy. Please dont get me wrong , deterioration in brahmins has been taking place for sometime now , it cannot be sudden. The british setup gave opportunities for the opportunistic brahmins to come out im open. There were great men and there will be great men

.. The british setup gave opportunities for the opportunistic brahmins to come out im open. There were great men and there will be great men

fitting epitaph for the empire where the sun would never set? periyar would have enthusiastically agreed. :)

Krs Sir says

Sir, I have never disputed that many of our ancestors did their best to practice rituals. But we have a number of recorded evils, including as Kunjuppu Sir says, he knows some who had affairs with women other than his wife. Unlike him I dont agree that it was very rampant in TN. I dont see evidence of that and I don't agree. But that is not all. I am standing only by some well accepted facts. Two examples
1. Untouchability as a practice existed before British came. Brahmins may not have been the cause for it, but in a crowd of millions, I find it difficult to believe that brahmins could not find even one good natured and religious tempered untouchable. The least he could have done is spiritually guide him. However as an addition, there were some wandering saints who did help the lot of untouchables.
2. Devadasi system- Again I am certain that brahmins did not invent the evil practices of this system. But as spiritual people they should have tried to do something about it by advising someone.
These two facts certainly indicate narrow mindedness, short sightedness if not anything else.
Why is it that when the British came many brahmins stopped going deep into vedas, and mesmerized completely by the unholy and deluding views of the westerners suddenly jumped into western education. I know that lot of people respected tradition but look at the majority. There has to be a reason things like that happen, it cannot be sudden.The standard of Brahmins has always been coming down. The innocent brahmins of silapadikaram are far far away from Brahmins of 17 th century. This is the effect of Kali yuga. Brahmins already deteriorated by atheistic cults and were rescued by Adi Shankara. However within sometime we started quarreling among ourselves. Even as earlier as 1893 Rajam Iyer has written a novel in Tamil , depicting people of Tanjore in a malicious way. This is not something to be admired that our people behave like this. Sir as you have asked I am not sure I can give you a quotation from any book. But I can say that either appaiah dikshithar or is it his nephew Nilakanta dikshithar mentioned about the flaws of kali yuga with some priests pretending to be holy. Please dont get me wrong , deterioration in brahmins has been taking place for sometime now , it cannot be sudden. The british setup gave opportunities for the opportunistic brahmins to come out im open. There were great men and there will be great men

Shri P.V. Iyer,

Glad to find another member who will be classified as "reformist" by a certain section here. You have brought up two very relevant points, IMO. But the orthodox group here have a ready-made answer to explain away one or even both of these.

I am awaiting that. :)

Where Brahmanas failed was in their inter-sectarian contests and even here, they did try their age-old trick; but probably no particular sect emerged completely victorious probably because, as the saying goes பாம்பின் கால் பாம்புக்குத் தெரியும் (a snake knows the path of another)
Dear Sri suraju06 I have deleted again your sentences that imply that Sri Sangom Ji is not a Brahmin. This is just not acceptable. This is a final warning to you not to do anymore what you just did - it was a personal attack on him. Irrespective of the fact that he has taken it lightly, I as a Moderator can not allow you to keep on writing this way. Either check your emotions and post in a civil manner or don't post. Next time this happens you will incur infractions. This is my last warning. - KRS

Dear Super Moderator,

When Mr. Sangom said something about brahmanas, i replied that brahmins did not think it that way. May be my converting brahmanas to brahmins was wrong! I did not mean any disrespect to Sangom as he as well you have interpreted it to mean. And you have to accept my statement on its face value because I don't tell lies.Please withdraw your remarks.Cheers.

Last edited:
Dear Shri KRS,

May I clarify that the portion of Shri Suraju's post given below in Blue gave me the indication that there was an attempt at innocuous-looking innuendo:-

"here was and there is no vested interest whatsoever. Each section of the society in those days knew what they did very well. Each section of the society also believed and appreciated what the other sections did even though they did not understand it the way they understood what they did themselves. This is what I mean when I stress ‘ there was no malice’.

This is just your point of view. Brahmins do not think it is correct. They look at it differently.
"

Instead of the above, if Shri Suraju had used any of the following (or other equally clear) constructions, I would not have been led to such a conclusion:

1. This is just your point of view. But most Brahmins do not think it is correct. They look at it differently.

This is just your point of view. But the majority of Brahmins do not think it is correct. They look at it differently.

This is just your point of view. But Brahmins in general, excepting a few like you, do not think it is correct. They look at it differently.

The discussions in this thread are all very interesting. Unfortunately i know nothing about Sangam literature and hence not able to participate. I have a few doubts. Am hoping Sangom sir and others also wud help find answers.

1) In the tradition of the trayi-veda, it is said that the Rig mentions only 3 vedas. Would that mean the Rig did not recognise the Atharva-veda as a veda ? If yes, why?

The Rig does mention the word atharvan. But for 13 times it refers to a person named atharvan and for 3 times it refers to a group called atharvans. When the Rig mentions atharvan and the atharvans, why does it not mention or recognise their veda, that is, the atharva-veda?

2) In the past historically there were many kshatropeta-brahmanas who were military units. It is said that there was always a difference between the laukika and vaidika brahmins. How true is that?

Is it possible to differentiate between laukika and vaidika brahmins? Lets say someone today says he belongs to the Garga gotra, is it possible to claim that his purvigam people were always only vaidika and not laukika brahmins? Given a choice, i feel everyone will opt for vaidika background, because those who supposedly poisted themseves as laukika brahmins were not brahmins (they were supposedly historically warrior groups who claimed to be brahmins).

3) Is there any sangam literature which mentions the word "atharva" or "atharvan" ?

4) Could the bhrigus, angirasas, etc be considered atharvans or atharva-vedis ?

5) Could we consider the atharva-vedis as a military group ? If yes, could the fights in the vedic period pertain to fights between the vedic-brahmins (trayi-veda group of rig, sama, yajur) and 'non-vedic' (that is, atharvan) warriors ?

We have read about the long-standing fights between brahmins and kshatriyas which ended with the brahmins gaining victory. Could these fights have been between the trayi-veda (vedic) group on one end and the atharva-veda (non-vedic) group on the other end?

6) Why is "Agnibhuh" of the atharva-veda supposedly considered Murugan?

7) AFAI have read, i find that the agnistoma sacrifice and the rajasuya conseceration occurs in the atharva-veda and not in the Rig-Veda (could this mean that those who were conducting these were originally atharva-vedis?) .

The deity "Sarva" of Athava-Veda is recognised as Shiva. AFAI have read, the deity "Sarva" does not occur in Rig-Veda. Plus, "agnibhuh" occurs in atharva-veda and not in rig-veda. Quite apparently some dieties that occur in atharva-veda are exclusive to it. Am wondering if the vedic period was all about the "clash of the titans / gods" from different 'vedic' camps...

8) Considering the fact the vedic period stretched over a long period of time, could it be possible that within the vedic period itself there was more than 1 Indra, more than 1 Vishnu, more than 1 Shiva / Sarva and more than 1 Krsna ?

Regards.

Last edited:
namaste everyone.

I suggest that everyone of us--including the members at administration tasks--keep in mind that TBF is a popular PUBLIC FORUM on the Net. So, any Admin remarks, made in RED COLOR, stands out against a member's post and creates a bad impression.

In this very same thread, I had an occasion to feel like a school boy whose notebook was scribbled by the class teacher's remarks in red ink unnecessarily! Perhaps in a school, a teacher can shout at a student in the open hall, but in a professional institution, an erring member will be summoned to the boss's cabin and admonished.

Therefore, I would request our Admin members to post their remarks without any personal references and send a PM to the erring member to give a bit of their mind. For example, in the present instance, would it not look better and more professional, if the remark about the reason for deletion of text in the post was something like, "deemed as a personal remark", even if it is made in red color? Once the member sees this remark, he would/should check his mail for what the Admin member felt about it.

In the best interests of this Forum, I suggest that our Admin members follow a similar method, and in the present case, accede to Raju's clarification and request in post no.444 and Sangom's suggestion in post no.445 and remove the remarks in post no.437.

I hope our Admin members will not deem this suggestion as an infringement on their rights.

In the best interests of this Forum, I suggest that our Admin members follow a similar method, and in the present case, accede to Raju's clarification and request in post no.444 and Sangom's suggestion in post no.445 and remove the remarks in post no.437.

I hope our Admin members will not deem this suggestion as an infringement on their rights.

Shri Saidevo,

I don't know what you are referring to as "Sangom's suggestion in post no.445"? I have not suggested to the Supermoderator to do anything further but only clarified my side. Your post gives an erroneous impression to the readers as if I have made a suggestion for removal of the Supermoderator's remarks in post no. 437. That is misleading.

I feel the present practice is OK. Just pointing out in a very innocuous way "personal remarks" in the post proper and carrying on correspondence with the erring member in private will raise suspicions to the member affected by the personal remarks a definite feeling that justice is not seen to be done. If one cannot take the minimum care to avoid abusing the other member because one doesn't like - or even detests - the pov of the abused member, then that sort of tendency is meticulously kept outside of this forum.

namaste shrI Sangom.

Let me clarify: what I posted as "Sangom's suggestion" refers to how Raju could have presented his remarks, not to do anywith the Admin members' actions. Whatever your views about it, as seen from post no.448, I stick to my suggestion. There is a difference between remarks viewed as personal which are deliberate and those which are innocuous. Against the (figurative) remark like that of Nara that asked a member to be given a long rope so he would hang himself, Raju's remark under question looks certainly innocuous, at least to me, and I am sure would seem that way to many members here.

In the absence of personal acquaitance in the Internet forums, discussions tend to be sensitive and emotional on both sides and it is difficult for members, especially a young member, to do the kind of tight-rope walking expected, at all times. This does not mean that a member is justified in any deliberate personal remarks.

Last edited:
1) In the tradition of the trayi-veda, it is said that the Rig mentions only 3 vedas. Would that mean the Rig did not recognise the Atharva-veda as a veda ? If yes, why?

The Rig does mention the word atharvan. But for 13 times it refers to a person named atharvan and for 3 times it refers to a group called atharvans. When the Rig mentions atharvan and the atharvans, why does it not mention or recognise their veda, that is, the atharva-veda?
First you need to understand the purpose of mantras in each vedas. This web reference is a good starting point-"http://aryasamajct.com/new_page_1.htm"
Ideally there is just one veda with the three types of mantras - rik, yajus and saman. That is the purpose of trayi-veda.
Based on purpose and need veda vyasa has allowed the classification of the entire vedic mantras into 4 vedas and has made sure that a focus groups who study atleast one section of vedas have all the mantras and upanishads which allow a systematic spiritual growth in that individual. This is our belief. It is believed by us that we only have fraction of the complete vedic knowledge available to us. If you have the same belief then such questions dont arise. There has never been a bar or restriction on any vedic group from studying another veda(even atharva) if they go through the established procedures for learning it. Beyond this belief , and stating that vedas is not apaurusheya, one can write a hundred theories, but no theory or exploration on this subject will lead to any consistent explanation. Because people who have come to question the divine origin of vedas have already discarded the authority of the lesser important but important puranas. The puranas are the only historical reference that give us a clue on the history of the times, when vedas were revealed. Using the body of vedic literature itself to concoct its history is a discarded means of investigation. As it is well held in tradition , that vedas can be understood only if one understands the puranas. One need not give absolute points to puranas but that is the only clue we have. For tradition, there has never been any infighting amongst the vedic traditions even though the different sakhas (sub groups in vedas) are separated by time , space and geography, and differences in methodology.

In the past historically there were many kshatropeta-brahmanas who were military units. It is said that there was always a difference between the laukika and vaidika brahmins. How true is that?

Is it possible to differentiate between laukika and vaidika brahmins? Lets say someone today says he belongs to the Garga gotra, is it possible to claim that his purvigam people were always only vaidika and not laukika brahmins? Given a choice, i feel everyone will opt for vaidika background, because those who supposedly poisted themseves as laukika brahmins were not brahmins (they were supposedly historically warrior groups who claimed to be brahmins).
A brahmana is one who follows the way of life expected of a brahmana. He may do other hundred things as hobbies. That is never his profession and must never be done for material gain or for livelihood. Just like vaishyas and kshatraiyas could learn the vedas but never take up the vocation of a brahmin. Thus a brahmin must necessarily be a vaidika. There have been vaidikas who took up arms were even millitary leaders and in some parts of India alone the whole clan took to war as an occupation. But the question of loukika brahmins does not arise. His principal duty is to go into depth of vedas, and protect and nurture it, and be a spiritual path finder for his community( means locality or country or world not caste alone). If there is a brahmin in tamilnadu whatever else his ancestors did, he was expected to be a vaidika, regardless of what other things he did. There are contraversies on some brahmin sects like bhumihar, chitpavans and niyogis. Two of them is considered a result of intermarriage with kshatriya women, may be other women and another considered a result of deviance from vocation rules for a vaidika. Niyogis were still allowed to call themselves as brahmins because vedic learning was still existent but it is well known that their interest in vedas was somewhat secondary to their occupations,a nd materialistic goals. There is an extremely rare possibility of finding a brahmin whose male side ancestory was not entirely brahmin( unless we allow adultery among some women- I have never known such thing in my entire family link, and I cant comment, there were rumours on anuradha ramanan, an extremely distant link, and I have neither met her nor do I know facts about her to confirm or disregard things about her). My point is very valid. The smrithi laws were rightly very tight and upfront when it comes to learning the vedas and we have maintained this to prevent somebody from making false claims on vedas. Unless one is clearly recognizable as a brahmin and has also the right background to learn it , it was debarred and rightly so. I know quite a few will fume against me, but I stand on my statement from the confidence in paramacharya's words. Or else we might have ended up with another 1000 versions of each veda. we only have schools based on tradition, but no different version of the same mantra. Regarding a further proof, It was interesting to know the genetic lineage of chitpawans. They have been considered a very suspect group because of their distinct features which give them out as something different from rest of Indian society. There were different investigations conducted on their genes. The latest one seems to be that unlike the rest of Indians, their maternal side shows distinct evidence of being perpetuated by middle eastern groups in not too far away times. This supports my strong belief based on well established practices and checkpoints in our land, that by and large the paternal origin of brahmins has always been brahmins. There is no question of a kshatriya becoming a brahmin in some kind of hidden way. When vishwamitra became a brahmin, the truth was known to all, it was well recorded in the puranas and neither was it hidden from someone to push an agenda. In recent times, lot of unholy things are taking place and we have to see how much people are going to start masking their origins- no clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back