• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ஓ அமெரிக்கா ...

shan, here is a link to the toronto hindu temple.

this temple too was built by the tamils, but sri lankan tamils. when i say they 'built' it, they were the ones who personally laid the bricks, put the cement, did the roof, did the wiring, fans, aircondition and everything else. by their own hands. canada was very fortunate, in one way, to accept a large number of sri lankan tamils fleeing the civil war, and they came with practical skills like electricians, plumbing, brick laying etc and these they used and built the temple with love and reverence.

it was started by south indians but was just one little shed for ganesha. now i think we have the largest icon of murugan outside of palni, if i am not mistaken. the temple adheres to the traditions of chidambaram, which appears to be the main guidance for the sri lankan tamils.

over 95% of the attendees are sl tamils, and we find the temple overflowing on festival days. the indians come in dribs and drabs, for some bajanais, and vaishnavites for the exclusive perumal corner. all in all, it caters to all aspects of tamil hinduism.
hi

thanks to SCARBOROUGH/MISSISAUGA SRILANKAN TAMILS.... i heard some time back...live nadaswaram during tamil

festivals.....sl tamil spent money for temples a lot....

Does the priest make 'kulavai' sound there too? [/QUOTE
hi

yes...everytime in KULAVAI SOUND during pooja time..its part of bengali pooja system....even in orissa ..sri jaganatha pooja also..

had to google to find out what kulavai sound. in english it is called ululating...[video=youtube;CIlqTNIWH-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIlqTNIWH-k[/video]

the most interesting occassion that i have heard, is in middle east cultures, at the morning after the first night, the husband hangs out the blood stained bedsheet outside the room for the whole world to see, and the happy women ululate on his bedding a virgin :)

Kunjuppu sir

After the war, the Sri Lankan Tamils were migrated all across the world and in particular, most of them settled in the Canada.
This is an appreciable one that the Canada gives to these Tamils an asylum with whole hearts, whether the others were none! In fact, in the U.S. mostly the menial works were done by the Mexicans. Perhaps, I witnessed some of our Tamil volunteers helping in the construction works along with the whites and Mexicans in Maricopa Ganpati Temple.

Last edited:
good tamil radio to listen while visiting the usa

ofcourse it is from toronto and it is HD but also availabel 24x7 on the net- CMR

http://radiosindia.com/tamilhdradio.html

tune in please to CMR FM Tamil. there is lots of call ins. including my dear friend prema kannan whose malaylam flavoured tamil, is listened to, with pleasure by the sri lankan host/hostess. the conversation is a sheer pleasure to listen.

occassional i phone in too

Kunjuppu sir

After the war, the Sri Lankan Tamils were migrated all across the world and in particular, most of them settled in the Canada.
This is an appreciable one that the Canada gives to these Tamils an asylum with whole hearts, whether the others were none! In fact, in the U.S. mostly the menial works were done by the Mexicans. Perhaps, I witnessed some of our Tamil volunteers helping in the construction works along with the whites and Mexicans in Maricopa Ganpati Temple.

the sri lankan tamils here are mainstream now in canada, having been here since 1980s. a whole generation has grown up with little link to the serendip island and speak little tamil. i have two connections of marriages to sri lankan, one of which is my nephew once removed, marrying a sri lankan girl :).

today in my project meeting, much to the surprise of the others, i had a thrill wishing happy new year to a colleague :)

there are about half a dozen free community tamil papers; no one talks of the war or tigers. there is coverage of sri lankan politics along with india too. much water has flown under the bridge and people have moved on, becoming yet another pattern in the canadian mosaic. such is life!!

Good evening, Kunjuppu sir thank you for your Tamil radio link. Just we have returned from the 'Theri' a Tamil movie, which has screened at the local theater. As the Tamil new year, the theater was packed with Tamils. Belief,more than five hundred people were assembled. Need not say most of the families were engaged in the computer field. In fact, my younger son also employed in the AMEX (American Express) In addition to that, my elder son lives in San Antonia TX. Elder son did his MBA in the Pen State University Harrisburg. He bought a house five years back in the Mechanics burg

dear raji, what is a 'kulavai' sound? or rather what is kulavai? thank you.
Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

Sorry! I missed your post. Anyway you have found out the equivalent English word. :)

For happy occasions this sound is made. I got this form a blog about Pongal celebrations:

சூரியனை வணங்கும் நன்னாள்

புது அரிசியை சமைத்து பொங்கிவரும் போது பொங்கலோ பொங்கல் பொங்கும் மங்கலம்

எங்கும் தங்குக என்று குலவை இட்டு கோஷமிடுவார்கள்.

குலவை ஒலி எழுப்புவதை 'குலவை போடுதல்' என்றும் 'குலவை ஊதுதல்' என்றும் தமிழர் குறிப்பிடுவர்.

This is from the page பிறப்பொக்கும்

''சிலப்பதிகார மரபின் மையக்கருத்தை வைத்து உருவாக்கப்பட்டது கிராமிய நாட்டிய நிகழ்ச்சி.

இதில் சிலப்பதிகாரத்தில் வரும் கொற்றவையை முன்னிருத்தி கதையும் காவியமும் உருவாக்கப்பட்டிருந்தது.

கொற்றவையின் மகன் போரில் மாண்டுபோகிறான். அவன் உயிரோடு இருப்பதாக கருதி போர்க்களத்தில்

மாண்ட மகனை பார்த்து, வீர ஆவேசத்தோடு மன்னனை நோக்கி ஆவேசத்தோடு பேசுகிறாள். கொற்றவையை

காணவில்லை என்று நினைக்கும் பொதுமக்கள், தங்கள் மீது கோபம் கொண்டு தான் காணாமல் போய்விட்டாளோ

என்று எண்ணி, தாங்கள் போர் தொடுப்பதில்லை என்றும், ஆயுதங்களை தவிர்ப்பதாகவும், சமத்துவ, சமதர்ம

சமுதாயத்தோடு வாழ்க்கை நடத்துவதாக தங்களுக்குள் உறுதி கூறிக்கொள்கின்றனர். இதை மையக்கருத்தாக

கொண்டு வீரர்கள் போருக்கு செல்வது போன்ற காட்சிகளும், அன்றைய காலத்தில் நடத்தப்படும் கிராமியக்கலை

நிகழ்ச்சிகளான கரகாட்டம், கும்மி, தெருக்கூத்து, களியாட்டம், பொய்க்கால் குதிரை, காவடி, முளைப்பாரி, கும்பம்,

துடும்பு, பறை, மகுடாட்டம், களரியாட்டம் போன்ற நடனக்கலைகளில் ஆட்டம் ஆடி, குலவை ஊதி, பழங்கால

இசைக்கருவிகளை இசைத்து கிராமிய கலைநிகழ்ச்சி அரங்கேற்றப்பட்டிருந்தது.''

Thanks

குலவை ஒலி எழுப்புவதை 'குலவை போடுதல்' என்றும் 'குலவை ஊதுதல்' என்றும் தமிழர் குறிப்பிடுவர்.

''சிலப்பதிகார மரபின் மையக்கருத்தை வைத்து உருவாக்கப்பட்டது கிராமிய நாட்டிய நிகழ்ச்சி.

இதில் சிலப்பதிகாரத்தில் வரும் கொற்றவையை முன்னிருத்தி கதையும் காவியமும் உருவாக்கப்பட்டிருந்தது.

கொற்றவையின் மகன் போரில் மாண்டுபோகிறான். அவன் உயிரோடு இருப்பதாக கருதி போர்க்களத்தில்

மாண்ட மகனை பார்த்து, வீர ஆவேசத்தோடு மன்னனை நோக்கி ஆவேசத்தோடு பேசுகிறாள். கொற்றவையை

காணவில்லை என்று நினைக்கும் பொதுமக்கள், தங்கள் மீது கோபம் கொண்டு தான் காணாமல் போய்விட்டாளோ

என்று எண்ணி, தாங்கள் போர் தொடுப்பதில்லை என்றும், ஆயுதங்களை தவிர்ப்பதாகவும், சமத்துவ, சமதர்ம

சமுதாயத்தோடு வாழ்க்கை நடத்துவதாக தங்களுக்குள் உறுதி கூறிக்கொள்கின்றனர். இதை மையக்கருத்தாக

கொண்டு வீரர்கள் போருக்கு செல்வது போன்ற காட்சிகளும், அன்றைய காலத்தில் நடத்தப்படும் கிராமியக்கலை

நிகழ்ச்சிகளான கரகாட்டம், கும்மி, தெருக்கூத்து, களியாட்டம், பொய்க்கால் குதிரை, காவடி, முளைப்பாரி, கும்பம்,

துடும்பு, பறை, மகுடாட்டம், களரியாட்டம் போன்ற நடனக்கலைகளில் ஆட்டம் ஆடி, குலவை ஊதி, பழங்கால

Thank. Pagirvuku nandri

Very informative! Thanks for sharing the reference!

Good evening, Kunjuppu sir thank you for your Tamil radio link. Just we have returned from the 'Theri' a Tamil movie, which has screened at the local theater. As the Tamil new year, the theater was packed with Tamils. Belief,more than five hundred people were assembled. Need not say most of the families were engaged in the computer field. In fact, my younger son also employed in the AMEX (American Express) In addition to that, my elder son lives in San Antonia TX. Elder son did his MBA in the Pen State University Harrisburg. He bought a house five years back in the Mechanics burg

hi sir,

i recently visited mechanics burg.....a lot of south indian communities there...many are telugus...all are in IT field...

hi sir yes absolutely correct. Telugu people are more than Tamils. Real fact is that these Telugu once entered into the US by using H1B they never go back to India.

Glad to know that you are visiting recently to Mechanics burg. From Washington, DC it takes 3 to 4 hours driving. The W. DC is the airport to this Mechanics burg. Is any relatives there, sir? In W.DC our Tamil Mohana Opesh running a radio station. If you have a chance to go there in future, you please contact her. She's very nice and hosting nature lady.

Last edited:
Glad to know that you are visiting recently to Mechanics burg. From Washington, DC it takes 3 to 4 hours driving. The W. DC is the airport to this Mechanics burg. Is any relatives there, sir? In W.DC our Tamil Mohana Opesh running a radio station. If you have a chance to go there in future, you please contact her. She's very nice and hosting nature lady.
hi sir

i visited harrisburg/mechanics burg recently......

Hi kunjappu sir
An interesting tale behind this Maricopa. Before the Phoenix the people choose this township. This area was reserved for the aboriginal Americans. Being, the settlement of Indians, they determined to establish a temple. With an untiring efforts of the five hundred families' the temple secures the present position. All the same, the raja gopuram yet to be complete. With an unknown reason the ppl decided to build a new town. By the development of the phoenix this Maricoba lost its importances, like our Kumbakonam where the town lost its merits to the newly Tanjore.

புகை எழுப்பாத ஹோமம்!

இந்திய நாட்டில் ஹோமம் செய்தால்
வந்திடும் தவறாமல் லிஸ்டில் வறட்டி!

பெரிய அளவு ஹோம குண்டத்தினில்,
பெரிய சமித்துடன் வறட்டியும் இட்டால்,

தகிக்கும் விதமாய் அக்னியுடன், புகை
வகிக்கும் தன் பங்கு, விழிகள் எரிந்திட!

பாஸ்டனில் மகனின் இனிய இல்லத்தில்
பாங்காக நடந்தது ஆயுஷ்ய ஹோமம்.

எளிய தோற்றத்தில் ஒரு சாஸ்திரிகள்;
எளிதில் எங்களைக் கவர்ந்துவிட்டார்!

கொப்பரைத் தேங்காயில் புகையின்றி
ஒப்பிலா அழகில் அக்னி வளர்த்தினார்.

மூன்று மணி நேரம் மந்திரங்கள் ஓதி,
நன்று செய்தீர் என்று புகழ வைத்தார்.

அமெரிக்கையாய் நடந்தது வைபவம்;
அதிசயித்தோம் நானும் என்னவரும்!

:thumb:

hi

in america...we called SMOKELESS WOOD CHIPS.....its used mainly in weddings in 5 star hotels....here we have to very

careful abt smoke in the homes....otherwise smoke detector alarms...then fire engines comes immediately....then

we have to pay fines also....other than smoke detector...there are WATER SPRINKLERS IN HOMES....immediately

water springles after the smoke comes....we have to very careful ....as indians...we do a lot of unneccessary

things creating problem in other country....at least in this we have freedom to do HOMES.....in arab countries...

even bell sounds are banned....we have to learn so many things...when we move out of our mother country..

so many becomes.....NRIs....MEANS ...NON RESIDENT INDIANS INTO NEVER RETURNED INDIANS...without

smoke...we can conduct homams/marriages in america.....

At Boston Alewife metro rail station:

ஏதுமில்லா வாழ்வு!

மெட்ரோ ரயில் பயணம் முடித்து,
சற்றே வேகமாய் நடை பயின்று

வெளியே செல்ல முனைந்தால்
வெளியே ஒரு பெண் கதவருகில்!

பரட்டைத் தலை; கிழிந்த உடை;
பார்வையில் வழிந்திடும் ஏக்கம்!

உள்ளேயிருந்து வந்தால் மட்டும்
தள்ளித் திறக்கும் அந்தக் கதவு.

என்ன தேவை அவளுக்கு - என்று
எண்ணி நான் கதவருகில் வந்திட,

எனக்கெனத் திறந்த கதவினுள்
தன்னையும் நுழைத்து ஓடினாள்!

பயணிகள் தானத்தில் வாழ்க்கைப்
பயணம் செய்திடும் ஏதுமில்லாள்!

ஒரு டாலர்கூடத தரவில்லையே என
ஒரு சோகம் இதயத்தை நிறைத்தது!

:pout:

Last edited:
There are many homeless people here. No money to enter the station.

They enter through the exit gate which opens while passengers go out of the station.

So sad to see such people! :sad:

There are many homeless people here. No money to enter the station.

They enter through the exit gate which opens while passengers go out of the station.

So sad to see such people! :sad:
hi

in some cases...homelessness more among many in USA.....but we ready to help them... i heard that they misuse dollars....

in all big cities...a lot of homeless are from army vetrens too...its sad...really sad....

புகை எழுப்பாத ஹோமம்!

கொப்பரைத் தேங்காயில் புகையின்றி
ஒப்பிலா அழகில் அக்னி வளர்த்தினார்.

:thumb:

நெருப்புடா!
நெருங்குடா!
பாெசுக்கற கூட்டம்
பாக்டீரியாவை
அழிக்கற மூட்டம!

சாெல்லு - திரும்பி வந்துட்டான்னு சாெ ல்லு!

Homam is performed to produce smoke! No Smoke Homam is Mock Homam! - it is Spiritual Energy the basis is for Homa Therapy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg-kEWsL6Xc

Isn't all smoke bad for the lungs?
In many cases around the world, people with asthma, who normally cannot tolerate smoke, experienced improvement and relief by sitting in Homa atmosphere. Negative ions signify pure air. Positive ions signify polluted air. When scientists tested cigarette smoke, positive polluting ions were present. With Agnihotra fire, exactly the opposite occurred -- negative ions were produced.

Will Agnihotra cure my sickness?
We cannot promise or make claims that Agnihotra will cure a particular person's illness, but we can say that thousands of people around the world have been healed by Agnihotra and Homa Therapy. We can share Homa Therapy information - Agnihotra ash medicines, etc.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...qf9B0a_VayL705ioQ&sig2=5pZxOKeki5a90Sbj20_OVQ

இதுவும் தலைகீழா?

குளியலறையில் மணம் பரப்பும்
குடுவையிலே திரவம் காலியாக,

புதிதாய் இன்னொன்றை எடுத்து
அதி வேகமாய் மாற்றிட விழைய,

எத்தனை முயன்றாலும்அதன் மூடி
அத்தனை எளிதாய்த் திறவாததால்,

இடுக்கியின் உதவியை நான் நாட,
சடுதியில் கண்களில் பட்டது ஒரு

சிறு அம்புக் குறி மூடியின் மேலே;
பெரும் தவறு திறந்த திசையிலே!

எப்போதும் திறக்கும் திசைக்கு
எதிர் திசைதான் சரியானதாம்!

மின் விளக்கு சுவிட்ச் போலவே
இந்த மூடியும் தலைகீழ்தான்!!

;)

hi

மின் விளக்கு சுவிட்ச் போலவே
இந்த மூடியும் தலைகீழ்தான்!!

in america...everything comes with instruction slip....we have to follow instructions....opening jar is kind of technick.....

the world change in metric system.....in america...we still follow pounds/ounces/gallons....america never follow the

world...the world has to follow america....

Last edited:

Latest ads

Back