• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ஓ அமெரிக்கா ...

Raji Maam

Please do not think i want to find fault with you; you are a natural poet, i admire you.
What you see, you write in a poetic form , it is a gift.

In US, Potty training is a must before children are sent to any Day Care Schools.

Probably this is not the case in India; i have really forgot how we brought our children when we were in Calcutta.

In our era, i mean when i was a kid, Children went to School only after the age of 6, but this age limit came down due to various reasons.

Nowadays working parents put their kids in Day care even after one month after the birth!!
Kids also learn very fast, adjust themselves with new people, new place etc.
My wife never worked and it was really a blessing to our son and daughter.

just share with you a post i read:

Don't label your kids. "She is the smart one," or "He is our athlete," or, even worse--"She is the pretty one." When you do this, you limit your kids. By "naming" them, you are limiting their potential and defining their self worth based on one interest, one skill, or as horrifying as it sounds, their appearance. Instead of labeling your kids, praise their interests and passions, their drive to work hard, and their ability to persevere. It's the process and work ethic that you need to encourage and praise, not the end result. Your kids will achieve amazing things. Just watch them.

And you have to be careful about labeling OTHER kids, even ones you see in the grocery store, especially about their appearance. It makes it sound like that's all that matters. If you feel you need to compliment a child, ask if they are a good helper! Or what their interests are. Don't even comment on their looks or what they are wearing.

dear raji,

what is KLB? seriously.

btw, when i was growing up, my father hated the word ka****s; the word toilet has not been known to us yet; what better than to term the process and destination as 'going to london' - this was the new years of young india after independence, and anything of a barb or mock of the old empire was always appreciated.

even now, in my home, i use the word occassionally :)

Thank you P J Sir for your informative post. In our generation children were NOT appreciated much by their parents.

Girls were not even allowed to do light make-up and the mother will be behind to warn her that 'she is NOT a cinema

actress to attract males!' But, the young mothers have changed a lot now! The dress up the daughter with expensive

stuff and call her angel often! Some kids tend to become snobbish because of such behavior of their mothers, imho.

It is sad to note that in Sing. Chennai the appearance of a person is given more respect than their good qualities.

It is no more 'ஆள் பாதி; ஆடை பாதி!' BUT 'ஆள் கால்; ஆடை முக்கால்!' :drama:

இதுதான் கேலிக்கூத்து!

இரு மனங்கள் சேர்ந்து காதலும் உருவானால்,
திருமணம் செய்வது பெற்றோரின் கடமையே!

ஜாதகக் கட்டுடன் லையவும் வேண்டாம்! எந்த
பாதகம் வந்தாலும் பொறுப்பு ஏற்க வேண்டாம்!

மாற்று மதத் தம்பதியரானால், ஏதோ ஒன்றை
ஏற்றுத் திருமணம் செய்ய வேண்டும்; அல்லது

சுற்றம் நட்புக்கு, பதிவுத் திருமணத்திற்குப் பின்
உற்ற நாளில் விருந்து தர வேண்டும்! ஆனால்,

அமெரிக்க வாழ் மக்கள் சிலர், திருமணத்தைக்
அமர்க்களமாக இரு முறை செய்ய விழைவது,

வெறும் கேலிக்கூத்து என்றே தோன்றுகிறது!
வரும் இரு சம்பவங்களையும் பாருங்களேன்!

காலை, கூறைப் புடவை உடுத்திக் கல்யாணம்;
மாலை, சர்ச்சில் வெள்ளை கவுனில் அடுத்தது!

மங்கல மந்திரங்களுடன், பவ்யமாகக் கட்டிய
மங்கல நாண் தொங்கும் பீரோக் கொக்கியிலே!

மங்கல நாணை மதிக்கவே தெரியாதவர், அந்த
மங்கல நாணைக் கட்டிக்கொள்ள வேண்டாமே!

அடுத்த திருமணம் இதைவிடவும் புதுமைதான்!
அடுத்தடுத்த வார விடுமுறைகளில், இரு விதத்

திருமணங்கள் நடந்தேறுமாம்! முதலில் சர்ச்சில்
திருமணம்; தொடர்வது 'தேன் நிலவு' வாரமாம்!

கூறை அணிந்து தாலி கட்டிக் கொள்வது, பின்பு
ஊரை அழைத்துச் செய்வாராம் அடுத்த ஞாயிறு!

எண்ண வேண்டும் சில மாற்றங்களை இப்போது!
கன்னிகா தானமென அழைப்பில் இல்லாததே அது!

:decision: . . . :peace:

இதுதான் கேலிக்கூத்து!

இரு மனங்கள் சேர்ந்து காதலும் உருவானால்,
திருமணம் செய்வது பெற்றோரின் கடமையே!

ஜாதகக் கட்டுடன் லையவும் வேண்டாம்! எந்த
பாதகம் வந்தாலும் பொறுப்பு ஏற்க வேண்டாம்!

மாற்று மதத் தம்பதியரானால், ஏதோ ஒன்றை
ஏற்றுத் திருமணம் செய்ய வேண்டும்; அல்லது

சுற்றம் நட்புக்கு, பதிவுத் திருமணத்திற்குப் பின்
உற்ற நாளில் விருந்து தர வேண்டும்! ஆனால்,

அமெரிக்க வாழ் மக்கள் சிலர், திருமணத்தைக்
அமர்க்களமாக இரு முறை செய்ய விழைவது,

வெறும் கேலிக்கூத்து என்றே தோன்றுகிறது!
வரும் இரு சம்பவங்களையும் பாருங்களேன்!

காலை, கூறைப் புடவை உடுத்திக் கல்யாணம்;
மாலை, சர்ச்சில் வெள்ளை கவுனில் அடுத்தது!

மங்கல மந்திரங்களுடன், பவ்யமாகக் கட்டிய
மங்கல நாண் தொங்கும் பீரோக் கொக்கியிலே!

மங்கல நாணை மதிக்கவே தெரியாதவர், அந்த
மங்கல நாணைக் கட்டிக்கொள்ள வேண்டாமே!

அடுத்த திருமணம் இதைவிடவும் புதுமைதான்!
அடுத்தடுத்த வார விடுமுறைகளில், இரு விதத்

திருமணங்கள் நடந்தேறுமாம்! முதலில் சர்ச்சில்
திருமணம்; தொடர்வது 'தேன் நிலவு' வாரமாம்!

கூறை அணிந்து தாலி கட்டிக் கொள்வது, பின்பு
ஊரை அழைத்துச் செய்வாராம் அடுத்த ஞாயிறு!

எண்ண வேண்டும் சில மாற்றங்களை இப்போது!
கன்னிகா தானமென அழைப்பில் இல்லாததே அது!

:decision: . . . :peace:
hi RR madam,

i attended many marriages like this....morning koora podavai with nalangu......evening white sleeveless gown with cake cutting.....

in some marriages the gal sat father's lap for kannikadanam for a white boy's wedding in USA....even i cant understand this....

i think even SHANTHI MUHURTHAMS done before koora podavai weddings......its just waste of money/energy....

இங்கே எல்லாமே வெறும் சடங்கு தான் ...இதில் எந்த அர்த்தமும் இல்லை.......கொஞ்சம்

பெரிசுகளை சமாதனம் செய்வதற்காக......perisu means grand parents from india.....

Last edited:

Dear T B S Sir,

Ram's friend's daughter got married to an American at Sing. Chennai. A dozen vAdhyArs came for 'nAndhi' and got their

share of dhAnams. All the ceremonies right form pEridal (Sankar -
The groom name started with 'S'), anna prAsanam and

upanayanam were conducted in a capsule form. Then the elaborate Iyer wedding followed! :cool:

A lifetime, ok, half lifetime lived in one hour!

Dear T B S Sir,

Ram's friend's daughter got married to an American at Sing. Chennai. A dozen vAdhyArs came for 'nAndhi' and got their

upanayanam were conducted in a capsule form. Then the elaborate Iyer wedding followed! :cool:

Dear T B S Sir,

ha ha ha, badaa thamaash!!

it is a common thing in toronto - where a muslim, white or a sikh (i wrote abouth THIS one here a few months back) gets to put on a poonal before the thaali kattal. :)

personally, i think, if it is ok for the parties involved, 'why not?'.

if one looks from a sampradhaayam pov, i think, this is not the place to start to analysing.

we started casting away layers of sampradhaayam over the century or a little more. when we left our ancestral village, when we left our profession (vaidheeham, farming, udavaakkarais), finished 10th class and went to work for the white man either in the govt service or in those mines/plantations in burma or malaya or ceylon.

with independence the mass move to delhi and bombay, and along with it, hindi replacing tamil/malayalam as a language of choice and along with chappathis. we progressed on to cross the black waters and lose the touch & feel of bharatha varsha..so to me atleast, our sampradhaayam has been under constant pressure of being diluted and whittled, some of it convenience, some of it choice and most of it circumstantial.

the biggest force of change, is giving the long due education and work opportunities for our females. and with that, their earning power, increase of confidence and assertiveness, and add to it, our wholescale adoption of family planning, arrived to the current inevitable, ie poonal for white guys.

that the upanayanam here is only an ornament, and worn OVER the garment, must be overlooked. i will not even comment on the lifespan of the poonal. for hanging it on the wall or throwing it into the garbage, i have seen it happen with many a tambram boys, who themselves had a reintroduction to the string only on the morning of the wedding, and which they discarded soon after lunch.

change. the only constant in life. i think the biggest credit goes to our vadhiars - poor guys, whom we mock and often accuse of price gouging. these have adjusted very rapidly and very conveniently to the needs of the customer, and provided a semblance, not only of religiosity, but provided a ritual, which to the uninitiated, looks complete and sufficiently vedic.

not sure what will come next.

Pad-கள் இரு விதம்!

இரண்டு வயதுக் குழந்தைக்கும், கட்டுகின்றார்
இடுப்பிலே Diaper! இயற்கை அழைப்புக்களைச்

சொல்லத் தெரியாமல், அவற்றை அதிலேயே
மெல்லச் செய்து பழகுகின்றன குழந்தைகள்!

விஞ்ஞான முன்னேற்றத்தால் குழந்தைகளும்
அஞ்சாது கற்கின்றார் iPad இன் உபயோகத்தை!

இன்னாளின் உயர்வே கற்கும் திறன! ஆனால்,
முன்னால் iPad; பின்னால் ஆய் Pad - அதிசயம்!!

IMG_0036.JPG

Raji Maam

Most children who can operate ipad surely indicate to their mom about 'nature' call.

In those days, mother's in India use only old Dhotis, make it small pieces, and tie it on their babies; பின்னால் ஆய் will remain there for a long time, before another one is replaced; Again and again the same cloth was washed and used; Using throw away napkins are far better than how older genarations were brought up.

I beg to differ P J Sir. When the kid is born, a soft vEshti stitched as a square, folded as a triangle would be used as a

diaper. As soon as # 1 or # 2 is done, the nappy will be immediately replaced. They will be washed and rinsed with a

dash of dettol solution and dried. But now since the diapers are expensive, the baby keeps moving with its pee and

poop for longer time and the absorbent diaper becomes like a huge ball between the legs. The baby finds is difficult

even to walk, till the change with a new diaper! I am scared to think of mother earth with all these baby diapers which

are trashed and which will not not degenerate because of the material used! These are in addition to the napkins used

for monthly cycle by ladies! Who will save mother earth? :noidea:

There was a news item last week that an eighteen month baby girl was palying with her dady's ipad, managed to order a car. The father was initially confused and perplexed and tried to evade; but when he realised that the order is from his ipad, agreed to keep it.

I am not able to trace the report; the order is on amazon and so it must be toy car. If I mange to trace the news item, will post.

எதற்கும் iPad-தான்!

எதை அறிய விரும்பினாலும், குழந்தைகள்

அதைப் பல முறை கேள்வியாகக் கேட்கும்!

அது என்ன? இது என்ன? என்று மாற்றாமல்,
அது என்ன? அது என்ன? என்றே கேட்கும்!

பல முறை ஒரே பதிலை உரைக்க முடியாது
பல பெற்றோர் தவிப்பதால், அதற்கு
ம் iPad!

எண்களையும், எழுத்துக்களையும் எளிதாக்கி,
எண்ண வைக்கும் குழந்தைகளின் Game ஆக!

இசையின் ஸ்வரங்களும் விளையாட்டுதான்,
இசைவாகக் குழந்தைகள் கற்கும் வகையில்!

கற்றிடும் ஆவல் கொண்ட குழந்தைகள், இதை
விட்டிடச் சொன்னால், அழுது புலம்பிவிடும்!

உணவை ஊட்ட, அன்று நிலாவைக் காட்டுவர்.
உணவை ஊட்டவும் இன்று தேவை ஓர் iPad!

நிஜமான அணிலும், காக்கையும் உண்ணாது!
நிழலான Monster ஒன்று iPad-லே உண்ணும்!!

பக்ஷணப் பிரியர்கள்!

எந்த நாட்டில் போய் வசித்தாலும்,
இந்த நாட்டு விஷயங்கள் போகாது!

வேற்று நாட்டு மணமகள் ஆயினும்,
மாற்றம் இல்லை சம்பிரதாயத்தில்!

வேங்கடத்தானின் திருக்கோவிலிலே
பாங்காக நடக்கும் 'ஐயர் திருமணம்'!

கூறைப் புடவை, உடனே உடுத்திடும்
அரை நிமிடப் பஞ்சகச்சம், அத்துடன்,

நூறு ஏழு வரி முறுக்குகளும் போகும்,
நூறு விருந்தினருக்கு அளித்து மகிழ!

கைமுறுக்குகளைப் பார்த்து, வியந்து,
கை கொட்டி ஆரவாரம் செய்வாரோ?

லட்டு வேங்கடத்தானிடமே கிட்டுமே!
லட்டு 'ஆர்டர்' அவனது ஆலயத்திலே!

பெண்களை அலங்கரித்திட, மெஹந்தி,
வண்ண வளைகளுடன் 'நெக்லஸ்'கள்.

இரு பெட்டிகள் மட்டுமே விமானத்தில்
ஒருவர் எடுத்துச் செல்ல விடுவார்கள்!

சிங்காரச் சென்னையிலிருந்து இருவர்;
அங்கிருந்து மூன்று பெட்டிகள் முழுதும்

மேலே காணும் பொருட்களை அடுக்கி,
மேலை நாட்டுப் பயணம் செய்கின்றார்!

மாப்பிள்ளை அழைப்பும் வைத்து, அதில்
பெட்ரோமாக்ஸ் விளக்கு கேட்காதவரை,

இந்தியாவிலிருந்து போவோர் தப்பினர்!
விந்தையான மனிதர்கள்தான் நம்மவர்!

பாருக்குள்ளே நல்ல நாடல்லவா நமது!
பார் புகழ நம் கலாச்சாரம் பரப்புவோம்!!

:dance: . . . :party:

அரசாங்க வேலை!

அரசாங்க வேலை வேண்டுமென
ஒரு சாரார் விரும்புவது நிஜமே!

ஓய்வு பெற்ற காலத்திலும்கூட
ஓய்வூதியம் கிடைக்கும் ஆசை!

ஆனால் செலவைக் குறைத்திட
அரசே முடிவு செய்துவிட்டால்,

அரசை நம்பியவர்களில் பலரை
அரசே அனுப்பிவிடும் வீட்டிற்கு!

கணினித் துறை செய்வதுபோல
பணி நீக்கம் அரசும் செய்யுமோ?

:humble:

விளையாட்டு வினையாகும்!

வட துருவத்தின் பனித் தாக்கத்தால்
இடர் வந்தது வட அமெரிக்காவில்!

வலைத் தளத்தில் ஒரு சோதனை
அலை பாய வைத்தது நங்கையை!

சுடும் நீரை வெளியே ஊற்றியதும்,
உடன் பனிப் புகைப் படலம் வந்திட,

தானும் அதைச் செய்ய விழைந்து,
தானும் சுடு நீரை வெளியே வீசிட,

காற்றின் வேகமோ அதைத் திரும்ப
ஊற்றிவிட்டது அவளது முதுகிலே!

விளையாட்டு வினையாகிவிட்ட
தை,
விளையாடிய பின்னரே அறிந்தாள்!

Woman suffers burns during cold weather experiment

விளையாட்டு வினையாகும்!

வட துருவத்தின் பனித் தாக்கத்தால்
இடர் வந்தது வட அமெரிக்காவில்!

வலைத் தளத்தில் ஒரு சோதனை
அலை பாய வைத்தது நங்கையை!

சுடும் நீரை வெளியே ஊற்றியதும்,
உடன் பனிப் புகைப் படலம் வந்திட,

தானும் அதைச் செய்ய விழைந்து,
தானும் சுடு நீரை வெளியே வீசிட,

காற்றின் வேகமோ அதைத் திரும்ப
ஊற்றிவிட்டது அவளது முதுகிலே!

விளையாட்டு வினையாகிவிட்ட
தை,
விளையாடிய பின்னரே அறிந்தாள்!

Woman suffers burns during cold weather experiment
hi RR madam,

i did the some kind of wrong thing to my car.........during heavy snow period...last month i tried to remove ice from my

windshield of my car...its completelely frozen my hands/body....to get quick removal of ice from my car....i put warm/hot water

to melt easily.......my ice was melted so fast....but glass of windshield had crack on it in the bottom....now i have to

replce whole windshield.....watb to do?........i would have done with deicer liquid...............but i never thought abt it...

கடல் கடந்த கலைச் செல்வம்!

கடல் கடந்து சென்றாலும், கலைகள்
கடல் அலைபோலத் தொடர்ந்திடும்!

எத்தனை வகை இசை இருப்பினும்,
அத்தனையிலும் முதலிடம் நமக்கே!

இதனை நிரூபிக்கவே, நம் இளசுகள்
சாதனை படைத்து அசத்துகின்றார்!

கர்னாடக இசையில் நல்ல தேர்ச்சி;
கர்ண ரஞ்சகமாகப் பாடுகிற பயிற்சி!

அமெரிக்காவின் சிகாகோ நகரினில்,
அமர்க்களமாக அமைந்தது நிகழ்ச்சி!

இசை பாடும் இளசுகளும், அவர்கள்