• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ஊர் அறிந்த பிராமணனுக்குப் பூணூல் எதற்கு?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how crazy people are...it is not an MBBS examination or a passport renewal..Now i know y Mrs.VR wrote welcome to a different world!!

Sri. Lakshminarasimhan, Greetings.

Welcome to the real world. there is no pretence here. Just true and honest world. All my posts are true. Yes, it is a different world; different from the world where people pretend to be very nice persons.

Here is a welcome song for you....

Kandasamy Bambara Kannale mkv - YouTube

Cheers!

I think, I should silence you with a nice song. ........
Dear Raghy Sir,

No need to silence me!!
நான் R ஆக இருந்தாலும், உங்க வம்புக்கே வர மாட்டேன்! :tape:

post 121#
dear raghy &renuka ji!
now i could understand why it is called cockpit !! for good plane journey ,not only pilot ,entire cabin crew as well supporting staff should act in unison .beautiful & dutiful airhostess are also the need to take care
guruvayurappan

I personally feel a marriage should have yearly assessment like how medical professionals/paramedical support staff have to attend a Continuing Professional Development to renew their Annual Practicing Certificate.

We SHOULD NOT take marriage for granted thinking it is in auto pilot mode and walk around the plane of marriage thinking it will have a safe landing.

The pilots of a marriage should take the trouble to pay attention to their spouses and also infuse romance and passion from time to time.

If you do not ...do not blame anyone if the plane is hijacked and heavy drama in the cock pit(of the plane I mean!!)
dear renuka ji !
marriage like making milk as curd .once you make curd,further step willbe butter &ghee etc. there isno reverse process.you can not keep milk as milk for ever.it will get sour .since we are treating marriage life as official work,all sort of reviews.resignation,search of another appointment or diappointment.finally in street .If you are believer of karma ,live accordingly.either follow progressive ideas or traditional -you will be happy.in between is always miserable
guruvayurappan

post 121#
dear raghy &renuka ji!
now i could understand why it is called cockpit !! for good plane journey ,not only pilot ,entire cabin crew as well supporting staff should act in unison .beautiful & dutiful airhostess are also the need to take care
guruvayurappan

Dear Sri. Guruvayurappan, Greetings.

No cabin crew, no support staff, no co-pilot. This is Firefox. Just one pilot. Either he handles it or he looses it. ( No she, but only 'he'. Because 'she ' is the 'firefox'). Whoever controls the cockpit controls the plane. By the way, the cockpit can be controlled exrternally. Someone from outside can control the cockpit of 'firefox' from outside. So, someone sitting on the pilot seat doesn't mean would have the control of the cockpit!

Welcome to Firefox!

FIREFOX_in_Flight.jpg

It takes a real pilot to handle that baby!

Cheers!

Last edited:
namaste shrI mahakavi.

This has reference to your post #83:

I have given only a part of the verse, but as indicated by the term பெருங்கண் கருமை--peru~gkaN karumai, tAli here refers to only a woman's mangalasUtram. For details of the explanation, you might check here:
:: TVU ::

• Here is an interesting explanation of why ANDAL did not sing anything about mAngalya dhAraNam:
vAraNam Ayiram – Wedding, the way it should be – Three Minutes Series - Anudinam.org

• It seems that in the ANDAL kalyanam festivities, she is undergoes mAngalya dhAraNam:
Koodaravalli | Govindarajapuram

• Yes, ஐம்படைத்தாலி--aimpaDaithtAli is worn by male children (which is also mention in the dictionary explanation I have given).

• Although there is no direct mention of ma~gkala aNi--mAngalyam in the description of Kovalan-KaNNaki wedding in Chapter 1 of sillapadhikAram, when Kovalan deserted her for Madhavi and KaNNaki was suffering from his separation, poet ILangkO mentions that KaNNaki wouldn't wear any other jewel than her mAngalyam:

மங்கல அணியின் பிறிதுஅணி மகிழாள்
ma~gkala aNiyin piRiduaNi makizhAL--4.50

• It seems that the term izhai was the equivalent of tAli/mAngalyam in the weddings of Sangham times, as per this research paper:

Thali in Sangam Liteuature by K.V.RAMAKRISHNARAO
A Brief Study on the Significance of Thaali among the Tamils

From the above specific references of Sangam literature, it is very evident that ‘Izhai’ and its other forms refer to an auspicious and important ornament that is nothing but Tali or Mangala Ani (Mangala sutra), though not such words were used in the ancient Tamil literature. It should be noted that the women who have been depicted above were all married with sons and described as auspicious women. No doubt, during marriage, as depicted in Agananuru, the tying of ‘Izhai’ is not mentioned, but its removal at the time oif death of husbands has been mentioned not only in Agananuru itself, but also in other Sangam literature, as has been pointed out above. Definitely, without tying ‘Izhai around the neck of a woman, it could not have been possible for her or there was no necessity to remove after the death of her husband, unless it was considered as so dear to her as auspicious and unifying symbol of husband and wife relationship in ancient Tamil society. The woman, who followed Kaimmai nonbu to avoid sati, also would not have been asked to remove it, if ‘Izhai’ had not represented Tali or Mangala Ani (Manga sutra).

how crazy people are...it is not an MBBS examination or a passport renewal..Now i know y Mrs.VR wrote welcome to a different world!!

Dear sir,

You see in most Indian marriages spouses take each other for granted.
What I am suggesting is good so that everyone will make marriage work out well.

Having assessments will make spouse realize their duty and love towards each other.
Many spouses just keep their dissatisfaction in them and do not convey it to each other.
So when we have an assessment all points can be brought up and weak points can be rectified.

It is not really a different world here.
It's reality in Bhu Loka.

Sweeping problems under the carpet won't solve anything.

Yes marriage is sacred and that's why having assessments is like renewing one's pledge to each other.

Out here in forum some of us members might sound outrageous but in reality we are honest about every situation and pour our hearts and souls here on daily basis.

Life isn't a bed of roses..some of us can handle anything in life becos we leave everything to God and whatever will be will be.

But majority of people are earth bound and need everything around them to be right for them to be happy and also to spare blaming God.

In Indian marriages when things go wrong..everyone blames God,Horoscope, Planets position,Pitrs Debt etc but who actually blames themselves?

I am sure all of us are guilty to a certain extent that we think we are never at fault and think our spouse is at fault.

Sometimes we never realize what we had spoken a long time ago could have hurt our spouse and things changed after that.

So in an assessment test...we will identify all these matters and try to rectify it.

One more thing an Indian marriage lacks most of the while is the acknowledgment of Romance and Passion.

We Indians take pride to brag that Love in a marriage is Mature Love and not Romantic Love and some even claim that their hormone levels have never wax and wane like the moon.

Waxing and Waning of feelings and hormones is NORMAL in a marriage.
At times we can hit Plateau in feelings and emotions for spouse and this is where an assessment helps so that we can spike again in feelings and emotions.

I am very point blank in my post in forum cos I feel we Indians need to come clear about how we really view life.

Just to add..Renewal is our very existence.
We keep renewing our body at a cellular level all the time.
Even our very birth is on renewal basis.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]TEXT 22
[/FONT]​
vasamsi jirnani yatha vihaya
navani grhnati naro 'parani
tatha sarirani vihaya jirnany
anyani samyati navani dehi

As a person puts on new garments, giving up old ones, similarly, the soul accepts new material bodies, giving up the old and useless ones.

dear renuka ji !
marriage like making milk as curd .once you make curd,further step willbe butter &ghee etc. there isno reverse process.you can not keep milk as milk for ever.it will get sour .since we are treating marriage life as official work,all sort of reviews.resignation,search of another appointment or diappointment.finally in street .If you are believer of karma ,live accordingly.either follow progressive ideas or traditional -you will be happy.in between is always miserable
guruvayurappan

Dear Guruji,

Curd is sour..marriage is supposed to be sweet.

So that's why in marriage we have to be like Royal Swans who can separate Milk from Water and only enjoy the sweet essence of milk!!

Do you mean "chinna vIDu" requires religious legitimacy too?

Why not?
After all she is providing essential services and there is a saying that goes that its always the Asai Nayagi that knows a mans heart better.
So if anyone is engaging services of an Asai Nayagi you better respect her and give her the needed status too.

Same goes for Asai Nayagans(Chinna Veedans) who render their essential services to woman.

Do you mean "chinna vIDu" requires religious legitimacy too?
சட்டங்கள் பற்றி எனக்குத் தெரியாது! ஆனால், சிங்காரச் சென்னையில் சில தானைத் தலைவர்களுக்கு,

'மனைவி' மற்றும் 'துணைவி' என்று இரு வகைகள் உண்டு! :peace:

Dear Guruji,

Curd is sour..marriage is supposed to be sweet.

So that's why in marriage we have to be like Royal Swans who can separate Milk from Water and only enjoy the sweet essence of milk!!

Dear Doctor,

It reminds me of an old saying that
"relationship in marriage is like salt in food, it can't be less or more for a tasty food".

Cheers,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

...... It reminds me of an old saying that "relationship in marriage is like salt in food, it can't be less or more for a tasty food". ......
Dear Sir,

I thought fights between the couples should be like salt in food!! :D

PS: No :fencing: = No taste!!

namaste shrI Lakshminarasimhan.

The problem here is that people who are different in their personal lives are so for their personal reasons and yet try to universalize it, pronouncing vociferously that pUNUl and tAli are not necessary, that they are only external symbols and so on.

Such people wouldn't agree to being selective in their questioning and progressive inquiries, although they have to submit themselves to several kinds of worldly symbols, rituals and other external festivities.

IMO, following a ritual with or without knowing its message or even with or without having full faith in it is better than giving it up. What is worse is people who have given up religious/traditional symbols and rituals jeering at people who follow them to whatever extent and with whatever intent.

If all that the religiously and spiritually progressive people profess are sure ways to sAdhana, then we should see the wisest and most realized among this group than in the other--more, or less traditional--group of Hindus.

Last edited:
1. OOr arintha brahmananukku poonool thevai illai. So he can dispense with it.

2. Oor arintha manaivikku thaali thevai illai. She can dispense with the thali.

3. Oor arintha pichchaikkaranukku azhukku thuni thevai illai. He can dispense with it.

4. Oor arintha katchikku kodi thevai illai.

5. oor arintha arasanukku kireetam thevai illai.

6. oor arintha sanyasikku kaavi thevai illai. He can become a Nithyananda.

7. oor arintha kaathalukku thirumanam thevai illai. They can just live together.

8. oor arintha paiththiyaththukku vilangu thevai illai.

oor arintha ellaththukkume onrum thevai illai.

Why japan has less than 1% christians despite active missionary activity for the past 150 years, and south korea has become a christian nation in one generation.

Japan still values its traditons, rituals, family and society values. conversion of one member of a family will affect the family and neighbourhood, so conversion is despised. korea it appears has no intrinsic tradition worth holding on as perceived by the koreans.

“The seed of the Gospel never falls to the ground in vain,” stated Okuyama, director of missionary training centre in japan. “Let us do our jobs!”

namaste shrI Lakshminarasimhan.

The problem here is that people who are different in their personal lives are so for their personal reasons and yet try to universalize it, pronouncing vociferously that pUNUl and tAli are not necessary, that they are only external symbols and so on.

Such people wouldn't agree to being selective in their questioning and progressive inquiries, although they have to submit themselves to several kinds of worldly symbols, rituals and other external festivities.

IMO, following a ritual with or without knowing its message or even with or without having full faith in it is better than giving it up. What is worse is people who have given up religious/traditional symbols and rituals jeering at people who follow them to whatever extent and with whatever intent.

If all that the religiously and spiritually progressive people profess are sure ways to sAdhana, then we should see the wisest and most realized among this group than in the other--more, or less traditional--group of Hindus.

Sri. Saidevo, Greetings.

I wish to bring to your kind notice, this thread was started after Sri. Shiv read a proverb posted by yourself. The real meaning of the proverb has nothing to do either with a brahmin or with poonool.

Following traditional customs and rituals is also one's personal choices and one follows them for personal reasons. In this thread, the topic under discussion is 'ஊரறிந்த பிராமணனுக்கு பூணூல் எதற்கு? '. I did not see yourself or anyone else objeting to the OP when it was posted. May be you did not realise the possibility of a discussion when you initially posted that proverb.

I am one of the persons to take part in this thread. I did ask this question - 'Upanayanam' is 'taking one closer'. My question was, 'Is it necessasary for someone to go through 'upanayanam' and poonool to be guided closer? Can you kindly tell me, can someone be 'taken closer' with out poonool? I would much appreciate your answer.

In this thread noone was jeered at. I don't know why such a question even arise. Just because couple of members chose to think out side the square, Sri. Lakshminarasimhan chose to call them crazy. The affected members didn't even pay attention initially. Since those words are quoted by you in reply to Sri. Lakshminarasimhan, I like to ask you, please... How come you did not mention to Sri. Lakshminarasimhan that it is not very polite to use words like 'crazy people' when talking about other members? When you are mentioning about a non-existant 'jeering', how come those words found in your own quote missed your attention?

Poonool and thali are external symbols. I said that before; I will say that again too. I did not ask anyone to discard his poonool, did I? In fact, I was the only one who said 'the inner meaning of that proverb has nothing to with a brahmin or his poonnol.

Lastly, Sri. Lakshminarasimhan's message
was written in response to Sowbagyavathy Renuka's suggestion about the annual review for the marriage licence. Truth is, I would welcome such an idea. I am not saying I would qualify for renewal; I possiblly may not qualify ayt all.. but I will not take marriage or wife as granted.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back