• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ஊர் அறிந்த பிராமணனுக்குப் பூணூல் எதற்கு?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ozone,

Sir, the Yagnopavitha dharana mantra does not say the Yagnopavitham is for proclaiming your identity as a Brahmin to others. I am surprised you also fall with the rest in believing this is the case.

What I have posted in Tanglish is just an attempt at parody(may be a failed attempt). The first sentence is the statement made here by some one else and repeated by me. The rest of the lines are all derived from the logic(!) of the first line.

My personal views about Yagnopaveetham is very different. I am aware of what a yagnopaveetham is and what it signifies. Only I do not want to discuss it here.

Cheers.

It is always a problem with others who can't seem to be able to digest the fact that some people would want to lead life differently without attaching too much importance to outward appearance.
A while back I remember seeing a post by you mentioning that Thali and Pottu dont go well with the dress you sometimes wear. So I had a feeling you also do put an external appearance.

Just to add..recently someone asked me to run a Bal Vikas class for some kids nearby my clinic and the person told me that would be good for your practice too cos the devotees will come to your clinic.
that some one might have said it for reasons other than you think it is (or was). So, you have actually judged and given that person back.

I have seen many people who are really NOT BENEFIT drive in lives. They too have a mindset which is very different from some of us.

A while back I remember seeing a post by you mentioning that Thali and Pottu dont go well with the dress you sometimes wear. So I had a feeling you also do put an external appearance.

Yes you are right! I do wear clothes!
I am sure you do too!!LOL

that some one might have said it for reasons other than you think it is (or was). So, you have actually judged and given that person back.

You see that person was trying to tempt me by saying if you teach here ..the devotees will know who you are and make a bee line to your clinic.

I was not judging him..I just gave him an answer thats all.I do talk you know!
I am sure even you talk isn't it?

I have seen many people who are really NOT BENEFIT drive in lives. They too have a mindset which is very different from some of us.

Dear Sri. Ozone, Greetings.

Most of the girls I know pay a lot of attention towards their external appearence. They may not be too keen to wear a pottu. My wife doesn't wear pottu either. I am not making this up. At least one of the members have seen my wife's picture; he would vouch for that. On hot days, sometimes she would remove the thali ( to keep it rubbing on the skin) and I have seen so many times she would forget it on the table or at the computer. So, what Sowbagyavathy Renuka says is not surprising to me at all. In fact, before leaving to India in February, we had to make sure she didn't forget the thali at home. It is nothing to do with matching any dress though. She has a sensitive skin, the metal leaves bruises. Same thing, once she had a low quality kumkum which left a wound in her forehead.

If someone asked me to do social service and hinted it would improve my professional exposure, I would get offended too. I may not even take part in that service after that. After all, there are many ways to provide service to the community.

Cheers!

Last edited:

If this was written by a student and if I were his/her English teacher I'd ask the student to rewrite it as
".......Thali and Pottu sometimes don't go well with the dress you wear......" but not punish the student for that slip.

It is true that people do not wear clothes sometimes and it is optional to wear Thali and Pottu during those times.:whistle:

Last edited:
If this was written by a student and if I were his/her English teacher I'd ask the student to rewrite it as
".......Thali and Pottu sometimes don't go well with the dress you wear......" but not punish the student for that slip.
It was meant to point out the perceived mismatches with certain combination of dresses, and not meant to tell that dresses are worn only sometime.
The word 'you sometimes wear' is associated with 'the dress' which exemplifies a specific dress.
your corrected sentence does bring in the possibility that the same dress may sometimes not go well and sometimes would. That wasnt my point.

Last edited:
Let us say you wear thAli and poTTu all the time. Let us also say you wear clothes all the time. What is meant is thAli and poTTu do not go well with all kinds of clothes.

We have had discussions about ThAli in a few other threads, earlier.

Sri. Sangom, then very active participant, used to mention often that the 'thirumAngalyam' concept was added

only later in our custom and it is not mentioned in our scripts.

It is actuallu loukeekam only.

Dear sarang ji,

I will give you another example...when I was in college...we had a real traditional friend would never be seen without pottu and vibuthi on her head.

When our college was closed becos of the Babri Masjid problem there were some unwanted incidents in South Canara and even train I was travelling once was derailed but was realized on time by the driver and he stopped in time.

Some trains were also attacked by some individuals who would target Hindus.

So when we were going back home to Malaysia via train from Mangalore to Chennai(those days we have no direct flight to Blore Msia so we had to go through Chennai to take a flight home).

Ok the traditional friend was going back to Chennai and we were surprised to see her without Pottu and Vibuthi.
She told us that she was afraid that she would be attacked if people knew she was Hindu and she said she would lie that she is a Christian if at all she was attacked hence she was NOT wearing Pottu and Vibuthi for the day.

She was telling us to remove the Aum symbol we wore so that no one will know our religion.
The rest of us didn't want to act like a Christian and so I didn't remove my AUM.
I told her that I leave it to God to protect us from any attacks but do not want to act like a person from another religion just to escape attacks cos thats just being a coward.

a bit lot hype added here. I've lived in M'lore and B'lore for quite long time, though in a time span lagging ten years, from this quoted narration..

I dont think, hindus in M'lore resorted to a christian identity to escape from the onslaught of mulsim terror.. cant believe, and i dont find any logic to agree to this novel, esp, in a city where Mangalore was the first forte for BJP, and even the current bjp CM mr.Gowda is from bangalore.

and the christians in mangalore also had similar fear.. few years ago, the famous Milagres church was vandalised by BJP...

im not worried who is popular out there in canara dt.. be it hindus or muslims.. but for sure, the story written by Dr.Renuka was bit a hype and little on the bordering in citation, to fuel hindu fire...

myself being in bangalore, i can only advice.. pls dont incite hindu=muslim=jew=christian=sikh fire.. . being a hindu militant is fine, as long as one dont incite and clash with another militant..

So, if I say - there is a traffic jam in the route I sometimes take?

Are we still on this?
Since you asked, it means "You don't take that route all the time" like not wearing the dress all the time (sometimes you take that route, sometimes you wear the dress)
If you say "sometimes there is a traffic jam in route I take", it amounts to an occasional traffic jam in your regular route.

I don't know where we are going with this.

Dear sarang ji,

I told her that I leave it to God to protect us from any attacks but do not want to act like a person from another religion just to escape attacks cos thats just being a coward.

Certain actions are justified as the exigent situation demands although the same action may not be permitted in normal times. I will cite you the tirukkuRaL for that. Pl don't phoo-phoo it. TirukkuRaL has been hailed time immemorial as "poyyAmozhi"
Here is the kuRaL.
பொய்மையும் வாய்மையிடத்த புரை தீர்ந்த
நன்மை பயக்கு மெனின்

You can even hide an innocent person (who is chased by fanatics) in your household and lie through your teeth that you haven't seen him if the fanatics will go away. You saved a life there by lying.

In your case if your god is a trusting god he will not take offense at your falsehood.

To give you another example, if a frenzied bear comes at you, you better run and take shelter somewhere rather than lie down and hope your god will save you. He may not. He wants you to make the effort first.

Dear All,

I think this is one of the most interesting thread in the recent times and it is very popular so as to attract more than 180 replies within a short period of time. In fact, I could not log on to this thread for the last two days and observed more than 170 replies after my post.

Ms Renuka: There are lot of posts made by you in this thread. Over various posts you have certainly gave a glimpse about your likes / dislikes and also the amount of importance you are giving to external appearances. As you have mentioned in one of the reply that you really mean what do you say - there is no reason for anyone to come to any different conclusions about the posts.

MY own personal view is a "Pottu" certainly gives more beauty to the women (especially to Indians - more precisely to South Indians). At the same time, I have seen many tamil girls in Malaysia wearing Jeans / skirts along with mid-size pottu and flowers. Pottu and flowers with these sort of dresses do not go well (once again my personal opinion). To conclude, to get an added beauty - at the same time for appropriate dresses - a pottu may be added like any other item like chain / necklace / bangles etc.

Venkat

Thank you Mr. Saidevo. I am not well-versed in sangam literature that much except for casual familiarity. However regarding the other comments of yours let me respond below each of them in blue font.
namaste shrI mahakavi.

This has reference to your post #83:

I have given only a part of the verse, but as indicated by the term பெருங்கண் கருமை--peru~gkaN karumai, tAli here refers to only a woman's mangalasUtram. For details of the explanation, you might check here:
:: TVU ::

I scanned the TVU verses. I am not sure whether the tAli (nagutAli) mentioned is tied by the dame's husband. It says the women like to wear the gem-strung nakutAli, and the collyrium (mai) in their eyes. Maybe it is mentioned elsewhere but not in this particular verse. nakutAli could just be another ornament.

• Here is an interesting explanation of why ANDAL did not sing anything about mAngalya dhAraNam:
vAraNam Ayiram – Wedding, the way it should be – Three Minutes Series - Anudinam.org

Yes, it is just an interpretation. ANDAL's tiruppAvai and nAcciyAr tirumozhi have been discussed for so many PhD theses even. We have to take it as another interpretation. But the decad of VAraNamAyiram never mentions mAngalyadhAraNam. It is cultural addition in later times, as many others think.

• It seems that in the ANDAL kalyanam festivities, she is undergoes mAngalya dhAraNam:
Koodaravalli | Govindarajapuram

Yes, people who celebrate ANDAL kalyANam do all these paraphernalia including nalangu. That is just ti go with the current custom.

• Yes, ஐம்படைத்தாலி--aimpaDaithtAli is worn by male children (which is also mention in the dictionary explanation I have given).

We are in agreement here to recognize that tAli is just an ornament.

• Although there is no direct mention of ma~gkala aNi--mAngalyam in the description of Kovalan-KaNNaki wedding in Chapter 1 of sillapadhikAram, when Kovalan deserted her for Madhavi and KaNNaki was suffering from his separation, poet ILangkO mentions that KaNNaki wouldn't wear any other jewel than her mAngalyam:

மங்கல அணியின் பிறிதுஅணி மகிழாள்
ma~gkala aNiyin piRiduaNi makizhAL--4.50

Let me cite you another line in chapter 2 of silappadikAram. 2. 61-64

நறுமலர்க் கோதை! நின் நலம் பாராட்டுனர்
மறு இல் மங்கல அணியே அன்றியும்
பிறிது அணி அணியப் பெற்றதை எவன் கொல்?

Here "mangala aNi" is taken to mean "natural beauty (iyaRkai azhagu). If you understand the meaning here it means "Oh, dame who wears the fragrant flower garland, those who praise your beauty are adorning you with so many ornaments instead of letting you wear your natural beauty, how come?". If you analyze it further, Kovalan tells Kannagi during the wedding night "mangala aNiyE anRiyum". If the tAli is meant by mangala aNi, why does he say "mangala aNiyE anRiyum piRidu aNI"?

The meaning "natural beauty" is implied in mangala aNi which was taken to mean tAli in later times, according to Dr.sa.vE. Subramanian in his book "SilappadikAram" published by Gangai puttaka nilaiyam. Accordingly the lines 4.50 could also be taken to mean that except for her natural beauty she did not wear any other ornament during her separation with KOvalan because she did not want to wear ANY ornamanent except what is her innate ornament (beauty). I am convinced that there was no tAli tying in Kannagi period.

• It seems that the term izhai was the equivalent of tAli/mAngalyam in the weddings of Sangham times, as per this research paper:

Thali in Sangam Liteuature by K.V.RAMAKRISHNARAO
A Brief Study on the Significance of Thaali among the Tamils

From the above specific references of Sangam literature, it is very evident that ‘Izhai’ and its other forms refer to an auspicious and important ornament that is nothing but Tali or Mangala Ani (Mangala sutra), though not such words were used in the ancient Tamil literature. It should be noted that the women who have been depicted above were all married with sons and described as auspicious women. No doubt, during marriage, as depicted in Agananuru, the tying of ‘Izhai’ is not mentioned, but its removal at the time oif death of husbands has been mentioned not only in Agananuru itself, but also in other Sangam literature, as has been pointed out above. Definitely, without tying ‘Izhai around the neck of a woman, it could not have been possible for her or there was no necessity to remove after the death of her husband, unless it was considered as so dear to her as auspicious and unifying symbol of husband and wife relationship in ancient Tamil society. The woman, who followed Kaimmai nonbu to avoid sati, also would not have been asked to remove it, if ‘Izhai’ had not represented Tali or Mangala Ani (Manga sutra).[/QUOTE/]

The last reference you gave is just a discussion without examples. I am not convinced there was this ceremonial tAli tying using maRaiyOr (priests) during sangam times. Post-sangam, yes, maRaiyOr came as evidenced by SilappadikAram. In sangam period there was more of elopement of talaivan/talaivi and as a symbol of their union there may have been a garland exchange and/or some other thread on the neck of the talaivi as a symbol of their commitment to each other in front of the rural god/goddess shrine.

More discussion welcome!

Mr. Saidevo:
Just another piece of info on tAli. When Srinivasa kalyanam is performed in Venkateshwara temples (especially in the US), they celebrate it extensively with parties aligned with the Lord and goddess PadmAvati and go through the entire ritual as though they are celebrating a human wedding. There is tAli tying and pUNUl wearing accompanied by mAlai mARRal etc. Finally they (here comes the business side) they auction off the huge laddu made for the wedding to the highest bidder (as much as $2000-3000).

im not worried who is popular out there in canara dt.. be it hindus or muslims.. but for sure, the story written by Dr.Renuka was bit a hype and little on the bordering in citation, to fuel hindu fire...

I DO NOT make up stories BTW.
When we were students we had a patient whose breasts were cut off becos of this incident.

So if you want to pass comments like that you better have back up evidence.

Last edited:
I am seeing highly judgmental and mocking threads all hinted towards me here.
I give a DAMN.Say what ever you want.

<edited. please refrain from posting expletive words.>
I am only laughing at the carbon dated minds here.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha..

Dear moderator...please do not delete this post of mine.
Let everyone read it, before they mock others they better make sure they are sinless.

Last edited by a moderator:
How true..speaking from experience within the circle known to you?

I don't see what is wrong with my statement. I don't have to know or experience it with others. Sometimes in your daily life you do not wear clothes and likewise no tAli and poTTu at that time. One does not have to experience it by seeing others. I, for one, have gone without clothes, for example, before, during, and after shower for pete's sake. There are other times as well we will not go into. You know it too. So why be sarcastic about an ordinary truthful statement?:noidea:

a bit lot hype added here. I've lived in M'lore and B'lore for quite long time, though in a time span lagging ten years, from this quoted narration..

I dont think, hindus in M'lore resorted to a christian identity to escape from the onslaught of mulsim terror.. cant believe, and i dont find any logic to agree to this novel, esp, in a city where Mangalore was the first forte for BJP, and even the current bjp CM mr.Gowda is from bangalore.

and the christians in mangalore also had similar fear.. few years ago, the famous Milagres church was vandalised by BJP...

myself being in bangalore, i can only advice.. pls dont incite hindu=muslim=jew=christian=sikh fire.. . being a hindu militant is fine, as long as one dont incite and clash with another militant..

Sri. Shiv, Greetings.

Sowbagyavathy Renuka did not talk either about Mangalore or about Bangalore. She spoke about south Canara. Well, what she didn't mention by name was 'North Kerala'. Starting from Taliparamba all the way down to Tirur, that train passess through areas of strong Muslim influence. Kannur, Thalassery, Kozhikode, Mahe have very strong influence. Pattambi and Tirur are very sensitive spots. That's about a third of Kerala's length. i know what those areas look like in troubled times. I have passed that section few times too. Secondly she talked about just one girl travelling with her; she did not say all the Mangalore Hindus tried to disguise themselves! Since I know that train route well, I have many friends from that said country and since I know exactly what happened in that section of Kerala immediately after the Babri Mosque issues, I have no trouble empathising that narration.

Cheers!

I don't see what is wrong with my statement. I don't have to know or experience it with others. Sometimes in your daily life you do not wear clothes and likewise no tAli and poTTu at that time. One does not have to experience it by seeing others. I, for one, have gone without clothes, for example, before, during, and after shower for pete's sake. There are other times as well we will not go into. You know it too. So why be sarcastic about an ordinary truthful statement?:noidea:

Dear Mahakavi,

Well my dear..I thought the old faithfuls to tradition and culture DO NOT remove their external identifications even during shower?

Last edited:
Dear Mahakavi,

Well my dear..I thought the old faithfuls to tradition and culture DO NOT their external identifications even during shower?

No. Poonool can't be removed even during shower; not even through oil bath. I can't help but remember a scene 'arangetram' in which the heroine makes out Kamal Hasan as a Brahmin boy in a very compromising situation. Even there the poonool was not removed.

Cheers!

Are we still on this?
Since you asked, it means "You don't take that route all the time" like not wearing the dress all the time (sometimes you take that route, sometimes you wear the dress)
I think it should mean - "You don't take that route all the time" like not wearing that dress all the time(sometimes you take that route, sometimes you wear that dress) and not the way you meant.

If you say "sometimes there is a traffic jam in route I take", it amounts to an occasional traffic jam in your regular route.

No, I didnt say that.
I don't know where we are going with this.
I'm done.

No. Poonool can't be removed even during shower; not even through oil bath. ..........
இப்படி அழுக்கு ஏறுவதால்தானே, ஆவணி அவிட்டத்தன்று கட்டாயம் புதுப் பூணூல் மாற்றிவிடுகிறார்கள்! :high5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back