• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Wisdom Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
TREES THAT WOOD

Once there were three trees on a hill in the woods. They were discussing their hopes
and dreams when the first tree said, "Someday I hope to be a treasure chest. I could be
filled with gold, silver and precious gems. I could be decorated with intricate carving
and everyone would see the beauty."

Then the second tree said, "Someday I will be a mighty ship. I will take kings and
queens across the waters and sail to the corners of the world. Everyone will feel safe in
me because of the strength of my hull."

Finally the third tree said, "I want to grow to be the tallest and straightest tree in the
forest. People will see me on top of the hill and look up to my branches, and think of the
heavens and God and how close to them I am reaching. I will be the greatest tree of all
time and people will always remember me."

After a few years of praying that their dreams would come true, a group of woodsmen
came upon the trees. When one came to the first tree he said, "This looks like a strong
tree, I think I should be able to sell the wood to a carpenter" ... and he began cutting it
down. The tree was happy, because he knew that the carpenter would make him into a
treasure chest.

At the second tree a woodsman said, "This looks like a strong tree, I should be able to
sell it to the shipyard." The second tree was happy because he knew he was on his way
to becoming a mighty ship.

When the woodsmen came upon the third tree, the tree was frightened because he
knew that if they cut him down his dreams would not come true. One of the woodsmen
said, "I don't need anything special from my tree so I'll take this one", and he cut it
down.

When the first tree arrived at the carpenters, he was made into a feed box for animals.
He was then placed in a barn and filled with hay. This was not at all what he had
prayed for. The second tree was cut and made into a small fishing boat. His dreams of
being a mighty ship and carrying kings had come to an end. The third tree was cut into
large pieces and left alone in the dark. The years went by, and the trees forgot about
their dreams.

Then one day, a man and woman came to the barn. She gave birth and they placed the
baby in the hay in the feed box that was made from the first tree. The man wished that
he could have made a crib for the baby, but this manger would have to do. The tree
could feel the importance of this event and knew that it had held the greatest treasure
of all time. Years later, a group of men got in the fishing boat made from the second
tree. One of them was tired and went to sleep. While they were out on the water, a
great storm arose and the tree didn't think it was strong enough to keep the men safe.
The men woke the sleeping man, and he stood and said "Peace" and the storm stopped.
At this time, the tree knew that it had carried the King of Kings in its boat.

Finally, someone came and got the third tree. It was carried through the streets as the
people mocked the man who was carrying it. When they came to a stop, the man was
nailed to the tree and raised in the air to die at the top of a hill. When Sunday came, the
tree came to realize that it was strong enough to stand at the top of the hill and be as
close to God as was possible, because Jesus had been crucified on it.

"When things don't seem to be going your way, always know that God has a plan for you. If you place your trust in Him, He will give you great gifts. Each of the trees got what they wanted, just not in the way they had
imagined. We don't always know what God's plans are for us. We just know that His ways are not our ways, but His ways are always best."

JO BHI HOTA HAI ACCHE KE LIYE HOTA HAI !!!

An old story is told of a king in Africa who had a close friend with whom he grew up.
The friend had a habit of looking at every situation that ever occurred in his life
(positive or negative) and remarking, This is good!

One day the king and his friend were out on a hunting expedition. The friend would
load and prepare the guns for the king. The friend had apparently done something
wrong in preparing one of the guns, for after taking the gun from his friend, the king
fired it and his thumb was blown off. Examining the situation the friend remarked as
usual, This is good! To which the king replied, No, this is NOT good! And proceeded to
send his friend to jail.

About a year later, the king was hunting in an area that he should have known to stay

clear of. Cannibals captured him and took him to their village. They tied his hands,
stacked some wood, set up a stake and bound him to the stake.

As they came near to set fire to the wood, they noticed that the king was missing a
thumb. Being superstitious, they never ate anyone that was less than whole. So
untying the king, they sent him on his way. As he returned home, he was reminded of
the event that had taken his thumb and felt remorse for his treatment of his friend. He
went immediately to the jail to speak with his friend. You were right, he said, it was
good that my thumb was blown off. And he proceeded to tell the friend all that had just
happened. And so I am very sorry for sending you to jail for so long. It was bad for me
to do this.

No, his friend replied, This is good!

What do you mean, ‘this is good' How could it be good that I sent my friend to jail for a
year

If I had NOT been in jail, I would have been with you.

Jo bhi hota hai ache k liye hi hota hai... accept whatever comes to us...

Dr. Tony Campolo in his book, "Carpe Diem"

When I was a kid growing up, I knew a man who loomed bigger than
life to me. His name was Edwin E. Bailey, and he ran the
astronomical observatory at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. I
would go to the Franklin Institute most Saturdays just to spend time
with him. His encyclopedic mind fascinated me. He seemed to know
something about everything.
I was a friend with Ed Bailey right up until he died several years ago.
When he was in the hospital, after a serious stroke, I went to visit him.
In an effort to make small talk, I told about all the places I had been to
speak and how I had come to his bedside straight from the airport.
He heard me out and then said with a slightly sarcastic manner, "You
go all over the world to people who, ten years from now, won't
remember your name. But you haven't left time for the people who
really care about you."
That simple sentence hit me hard and changed my life. I have
decided not to let my time be used up by people to whom I make no
difference, while I neglect those for whom I am irreplaceable.
A friend of mine recently got a call from the White House asking him
to consult with the President of the United States. He said no
because it was to be on a day he had promised to spend with his
granddaughter at the seashore. The nation survived without him, the
President didn't miss him, and his granddaughter had some precious
time with her "Pop-Pop."

"First things ought to be put first."

In those old days, when monarchy used to be there, a king was gifted by
his teacher; 4 idols who resembled great minds. He appointed a man who
was told that he will be sentenced when any of the idols is broken. That
man worked very carefully but 1 day 1 idol was broken to pieces.
The king came to know about this and he ordered that man to be
sentenced. That man was asked of his last wish; he took other 3 idols and
broke them. The king saw it and said – why you done that? The man
replied – some day, you will appoint another man to take care of other 3
idols. Sooner or later 1 or 2 idols would be broken. That man would die
then – so, I am saving that anonymous life in this manner.
The king instantly made him his chief minister.

You may rescue life of someone even indirectly which would
please GOD. No one can go against what is predecided. We can only
change our interpretations.

Can we break the chains ?

As I was passing the elephants, I suddenly stopped, confused by the fact that these huge creatures were being held by only a small rope tied to their front leg. No chains, no cages. It was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from their bonds but for some reason, they did not.
I saw a trainer near by and asked why these beautiful, magnificent animals just stood there and made no attempt to get away. “Well,” he said, “when they are very young and much smaller we use the same size rope to tie them and, at that age, it’s enough to hold them. As they grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. They believe the rope can still hold them, so they never try to break free.”

I was amazed. These animals could at any time break free from their bonds but because they believed they couldn’t, they were stuck right where they were.
Like the elephants, how many of us go through life hanging onto a belief that we cannot do something, simply because we failed at it once before?

Failure is part of learning; we should never give up the struggle in life.
If we have failed once, it doesn’t means we can never do it again. We need to try again & again if we have to success !!

Nails in the Fence

There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His Father gave
him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he
must hammer a nail into the fence. The first day the boy had to drive
15 nails into the fence.
Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger the
number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He
discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails
into the fence.
Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He
told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull
out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The
days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that
all the nails were gone.
The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said,
"You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The
fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they
leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw
it out. It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is
still there."

"A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one. Friends are very
rare jewels, indeed. They make you smile and encourage you to
succeed. They lend an ear, they share words of praise and they
always want to open their hearts to us." Anandi:))

Once upon a time, a man was searching for the genius Birbal. He had
never seen Birbal. So, he was worrying – how to meet? Someone told him
the address of Birbal and he went there searching for Birbal.
Accidently, he met Birbal himself on the roadway, but was unaware of
this. He asked Birbal – Can you tell me where Birbal lives? Birbal pointed
to his house and said – he lives there. The man went there but was stunned
to see the lock at the door. He was thinking – where could Birbal be?
Suddenly, he saw Birbal himself there. He asked – Can you tell me where
the genius Birbal is? Birbal replied – I am Birbal. I do not know who the
genius is? The man replied – I met you before, why did not you told me
that you are Birbal? Birbal said – You asked about Birbal's house but did
not ask where he is. I replied where his house is. Later on, Birbal took him
inside and removed his worries.

Be clear and concise in what you demand. Try to speak
specific things.

[h=6]There was a hunter who bought a bird dog, the only one of its kind in the world. That could walk on water . He couldn't believe his eyes when he saw this miracle. At the same time, he was very pleased that he could show off his new acquisition to his friends. He invited a friend to go duck hunting. After some time, they shot a few ducks and the man ordered his dog to run and fetch the birds. All day-long, the dog ran on water and kept fetching the birds. The owner was expecting a comment or a compliment about his amazing dog, but never got one. As they were returning home, he asked his friend if he had noticed anything unusual about his dog. The friend replied, "Yes, in fact, I did notice something unusual. Your dog can't swim."

Some people always look at the negative side.Don't expect anything from anyone..We have to keep on doing our work, the RESULT, the REWARD, the RECOGNITION will RE-TURN towards us, If we have the RIGHT....:))
[/h]

[h=3] Conditioned to loose...
[/h] An eagle's egg was placed in the nest of a prairie chicken. The egg hatched and the little eagle grew up thinking it was a prairie chicken. The eagle did what the prairie chickens did. It scratched in the dirt for seeds. It clucked and cackled. It never flew more than a few feet because that is what the prairie chickens did. One day he saw an eagle flying gracefully and majestically in the open sky. He asked the prairie chickens: "What is that beautiful bird?" The chickens replied, "That is an eagle. He is an outstanding bird, but you cannot fly like him because you are just a prairie chicken." So the eagle never gave it a second thought, believing that to be the truth. He lived the life of and died a prairie chicken, depriving himself of his heritage because of his lack of vision.

"What a waste! He was born to win, but was conditioned to lose."

[h=3] WE SEE THINGS NOT THE WAY THEY ARE BUT THE WAY WE ARE
[/h] There is a legend about a wise man who was sitting outside his village. A traveler came up and asked him, "What kind of people live in this village, because I am looking to move from my present one?" The wise man asked, "What kind of people live where you want to move from?" The man said, "They are mean, cruel, rude." The wise man replied, "The same kind of people live in this village too." After some time another traveler came by and asked the same question and the wise man asked him, "What kind of people live where you want to move from?" And the traveler replied, "The people are very kind, courteous, polite and good." The wise man said, "You will find the same kind of people here too."

"Generally we see the world not the way it is but the way we are. Most of the time, other people's behavior is a reaction to our own."

Be Enthusiastic....

Nothing great is ever achieved without enthusiasm. Water turns into steam with a difference of only one degree in temperature and steam can move some of the biggest engines in the world. That is what enthusiasm helps us to do in our lives.

Many decades ago, Charles Schwab, who was earning a salary of a million dollars a year, was asked if he was being paid such a high salary because of his exceptional ability to produce steel. Charles Schwab replied, "I consider my ability to arouse enthusiasm among the men the greatest asset I possess, and the way to develop the best that is in a man is by appreciation and encouragement."

Live while you are alive. Don't die before you are dead. Enthusiasm and success go hand in hand, but enthusiasm comes first. Enthusiasm inspires confidence, raises morale, builds loyalty! and is priceless. Enthusiasm is contagious. You can feel enthusiasm by the way a person talks, walks or shakes hands. Enthusiasm is a habit that one can acquire and practice

Enthusiasm and desire are what change mediocrity to excellence.

[h=3] I KNEW YOU WOULD COME
[/h] There were two childhood buddies who went through school and college and even joined the army together. War broke out and they were fighting in the same unit. One night they were ambushed. Bullets were flying all over and out of the darkness came a voice, "Harry, please come and help me." Harry immediately recognized the voice of his childhood buddy, Bill. He asked the captain if he could go. The captain said, "No, I can't let you go, I am already short-handed and I cannot afford to lose one more person. Besides, the way Bill sounds he is not going to make it." Harry kept quiet. Again the voice came, "Harry, please come and help me." Harry sat quietly because the captain had refused earlier. Again and again the voice came. Harry couldn't contain himself any longer and told the captain, "Captain, this is my childhood buddy. I have to go and help." The captain reluctantly let him go. Harry crawled through the darkness and dragged Bill back into the trench. They found that Bill was dead. Now the captain got angry and shouted at Harry, "Didn't I tell you he was not going to make it? He is dead, you could have been killed and I could have lost a hand. That was a mistake." Harry replied, "Captain, I did the right thing. When I reached Bill he was still alive and his last words were 'Harry, I knew you would come.

"Good relationships are hard to find and once developed should be nurtured. We are often told: Live your dream. But you cannot live your dream at the expense of others. People who do so are unscrupulous. We need to make personal sacrifices for our family, friends, and those we care about and who depend on us."

BELIEVE while others are doubting.
PLAN while others are playing.
STUDY while others are sleeping.
DECIDE while others are delaying.
PREPARE while others are daydreaming.
BEGIN while others are procrastinating.WORK while others are wishing.
SAVE while others are wasting.
LISTEN while others are talking.
SMILE while others are pouting.
COMMEND while others are criticizing.
PERSIST while others are quitting

80th Floor....

There were 2 brothers who lived on the 80th floor of a building. On coming home from office one day, they realized to their dismay that the lifts were not working and that they had to climb the stairs home. After struggling to the 20th level, panting and tired, they decided to abandon their bags and come back for them the next day.

They left their bags on the 20th floor and climbed on............

When they reached the 40th Floor level, they had gone sufficiently mad and irritated. The younger brother started to grumble and both of them began to quarrel. They continued to climb the flights of steps, quarreling all the way to the 60th floor.

They then realized that they had only 20 floors more to climb and decided to stop quarreling and continue climbing in peace. They silently climbed on and reached their home at long last. Each stood calmly before the door and waited for the other to open the door.

And then they realized that the keys were in the bags which they had left on 20th floor

This story is a reflection on our life and times. All of us climb the tall building called life..........some till all the 80 floors and some less. Many of us climb under the expectations of our companion.

Time to time these are our friends and parents till the 20th floor, then our spouse and our dear ones till the next level of the building. We seldom get to do the things that we really like and love and are under so much pressure and stress that by the age of 20, we get tired and decide to dump this load. Being free of the stress and pressure, we work enthusiastically and dream about ambitious wishes.

By the time we reach 40 years old, we start to lose our vision and dreams. We begin to feel unsatisfied and start to complain and criticize. We live life as a misery as we are never satisfied.

Reaching 60, we realize that we have little left for complaining anymore, and we begin to walk the final episode in peace and calmness. We think that there is nothing left to disappoint us, only to realize that we could not rest in peace because we have an unfulfilled dream..........a dream we abandened 60 years ago. So what's your dream.....?

Know your dreams and follow them so that you do not live with regrets. Help others and thank God.

Accept yourself...

Believe in yourself...
Like yourself...

Inside each of us are powers so strong, treasures so rich, and possibilities so endless, that to command them all to action would change the history of the world.
Celebrate Life..........

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

This is a real story that happened between the customer of General Motors and its
Customer-Care Executive.

A complaint was received by the Pontiac Division of General Motors "This is the second
time I have written to you, and I don't blame you for not answering me,

because I sounded crazy, but it is a fact that we have a tradition in our family of Ice-
Cream for dessert after dinner each night.

But the kind of ice cream varies so, every night, after we’ve eaten the whole family
votes on which kind of ice cream we should have and I drive down to the store to get it.
It's also a fact that I recently purchased a new Pontiac and since then my trips to the
store have created a problem.

You see, every time I buy a vanilla ice-cream, when I start back from the store my car
won't start. If I get any other kind of ice cream, the car starts just fine. I want you to
know I'm serious about this! ; question, no matter how silly it sounds "What is there
about a Pontiac that makes it not start when I get vanilla ice cream, and easy to start
whenever I get any other kind?"

The Pontiac President was understandably skeptical about the letter, but sent an
Engineer to check it out anyway. The latter was surprised to be greeted by a
successful, obviously well educated man in a fine neighborhood. He had arranged to
meet the man just after dinnertime, so the two hopped into the car and drove to the ice
cream store. It was vanilla ice cream that night and, sure enough, after they came
back to the car, it wouldn't start.

The Engineer returned for three more nights. The first night, they got chocolate. The
car started. The second night, he got strawberry. The car started. The third night he
ordered vanilla. The car failed to start.

Now the Engineer, being a logical man, refused to believe that this man's car was
allergic to vanilla ice cream. He arranged, therefore, to continue his visits for as long
as it took to solve the problem.

And toward this end he began to take notes he jotted down all sorts of data time of day,
type of gas uses, time to drive back and forth etc. In a short time, he had a clue the man

took less time to buy vanilla than any other flavor. Why? The answer was in the layout
of the store. Vanilla, being the most popular flavor, was in a separate case at the front
of the store for quick pickup.

All the other flavors were kept in the back of the store at a different counter where it
took considerably longer to check out the flavor. Now, the question for the Engineer
was why the car wouldn't start when it took less time. Once time became problem -
not the vanilla ice cream Eureka!!!!

The engineer quickly came up with the answer”vapour lock". It was happening every
night; but the extra time taken to get the other flavors allowed the engine to cool down
sufficiently to start. When the man got vanilla, the engine was still too hot for
the vapour lock to dissipate.

"Even crazy looking problems are sometimes real and all problems seem to
be simple only when we find the solution with a cool thinking.
Don't just say its "IMPOSSIBLE" without putting a sincere effort...
Observe the word "IMPOSSIBLE" carefully... Looking closer you will see, "I'M
POSSIBLE"... What really matters is your attitude and your perception."

Emotions in Ramayana

Valmiki had the courage to explain Ramayan through lot of miseries.

These are some examples from Ramayan.

- If Dasaratha would wait for 2 days instead of granting the two boons to kaikayie in the war field. Kaikeyi was intelligent to say that I wont ask the boon now in this war field I will ask when it is time to ask.

- If Rama would have waited for 2 days instead of taking the request immeditely from kaikeyi to go to forest. In two days of time Bharatha would have returned and things would have been sorted out,

- If Laxman would have not cut the nose of surpanaka instead explain to her that he has a wife waiting in ayodhya.

- If sita would have waited for some more minutes for her RAM to arrive before crossing the line. Ram would have arrived. Sita was deceived emotionally by the words of the rishi (Ravana)

Ramayana would have not born.

Valmiki beautifully explaines here, "If we are not alligned with the laws of LIFE, We are sure to suffer from miseries."

Dont be a consequence receiver, be a choise maker.

Dont make any decisions when you are emotional. Wait for some time. Let the emotions settle down. Emotions will settle down. When we are emotional there is no intelligence. When we are peaceful within us. Intelligence comes up and we make clear decisions.

Inspite of all the above miseries in ramayan there was one person who said "All the miseries to my LORD Ram has to happen because you and me has to meet up. My bhakthi towards you has got me you here". Said the none other than the Monkey GOD Hanuman.

When we are emotional stand for few seconds as Swami Vivekananda stands with hands folded up. You will see the Swami Vivekananda in you.

Promise Yourself.....
To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind;
To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet;
To make all your friends feel that there is something in them;
To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true;
To think only the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best;
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own;
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future;
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile;
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others;
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear; and too happy to permit the presence of trouble;
To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world, not in loud words, but in great deeds;

To live in the faith that the whole world is on your side so long as you are true to the best that is in you.

With the flood of anecdotes and stories you must be a wise woman Anandi

Dear Ranganathan Sir...

I don't think I am a wise woman, these are my heartfelt words and I mean it, I am just trying to share something which I read, I write and which I have learned thought many sources. this way I too have learned and I am still learning a lot... I am a simple woman Sir... I am trying to be very humble and transparent...And with the association with the senior people like you, i know I will be more wise, mature and a disciplined human being... Thank you so much for your nice comments..with respects Anandi

George Constanza’s WORDS OF WISDOM

“The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough; it takes up a lot of your time, what’s that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards.
You should die first; get it out of the way.
Then you go live in an old age home. You get kicked out for being too healthy, go collect your pension, and then when you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day. You work forty years until you’re young enough to enjoy your retirement.
You party and you get ready for High School.
You go to primary school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back, you spend your last 9 months floating with luxuries like central heating, spa, room service on tap, and then you finish off as an orgasm!"

The Secret of Happiness...

A certain shopkeeper sent his son to learn about the secret of happiness from the wisest man in the world. The lad wandered through the desert for 40 days, and finally came upon a beautiful castle, high atop a mountain. It was there that the wise man lived.

Rather than finding a saintly man, though, our hero, on entering the main room of the castle, saw a hive of activity: tradesmen came and went, people were conversing in the corners, a small orchestra was playing soft music, and there was a table covered with platters of the most delicious food in that part of the world. The wise man conversed with everyone, and the boy had to wait for two hours before it was his turn to be given the man's attention.

The wise man listened attentively to the boy's explanation of why he had come, but told him that he didn't have time just then to explain the secret of happiness. He suggested that the boy look around the palace and return in two hours.

"Meanwhile, I want to ask you to do something", said the wise man, handing the boy a teaspoon that held two drops of oil. "As you wander around, carry this spoon with you without allowing the oil to spill".

The boy began climbing and descending the many stairways of the palace, keeping his eyes fixed on the spoon. After two hours, he returned to the room where the wise man was.

"Well", asked the wise man, "Did you see the Persian tapestries that are hanging in my dining hall? Did you see the garden that it took the master gardener ten years to create? Did you notice the beautiful parchments in my library?"

The boy was embarrassed, and confessed that he had observed nothing. His only concern had been not to spill the oil that the wise man had entrusted to him.

"Then go back and observe the marvels of my world", said the wise man. "You cannot trust a man if you don't know his house".

Relieved, the boy picked up the spoon and returned to his exploration of the palace, this time observing all of the works of art on the ceilings and the walls. He saw the gardens, the mountains all around him, the beauty of the flowers, and the taste with which everything had been selected. Upon returning to the wise man, he related in detail everything he had seen.

"But where are the drops of oil I entrusted to you?" asked the wise man. Looking down at the spoon he held, the boy saw that the oil was gone.

"Well, there is only one piece of advice I can give you", said the wisest of wise men. "The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon".

Last edited:
Anandi, Your boss may like you, but what about the result . You are paid for
producing results and not for pleasing the boss.

Going back to the oil in the spoon anecdote, this is normally quoted as an example
of total concentration - oil should not spill out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back