• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I joined the forum I had said I would ask some questions which would make us think. I had told one of the administrators that I would write about the Brahmin communities in other states.

These questions concern the entire Tamil Brahmin community.

First question:

1. Tamil Brahmins have an identity problem in the sense that the other Tamilians are reluctant to accept them as Tamilians.

Some vague reasoning given is the claim of the Brahmins to have migrated from North India. ( there is absolutely no historical data) This claim is made by almost all the South Indian Brahmins.

If you look at the Bengali Brahmins most of them claim to be from Kanyakubja or Kannuj in Uttar Pradesh. They have historical records about the migration. Most of them came during the Sena period. The Senas were South Indian Brahmins who ruled Bengal through the 11th and 12th centuries.

They even have a sub sect called Daksinatyas who have historical records to prove that they are South Indian in origin. Their religious practices are typically Smarta. They send their children to the Vedic schools in Tamil Nadu for learning Vedas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_Brahmins

All these Brahmins are accepted as Bengali.

Then why are we not accepted as Tamilians?

We can not blame the political parties alone for this. During the December katcheris many a time I have wondered why only Telugu songs are being sung? Many of our Carnatic musicians seem to avoid singing in Tamil. Our community has contributed a lot to the development of Tamil. U. V. Swaminatha Iyer, Bharathiar to name a few.

But as a community are we committed to our Mother Tongue in general?

Is there any other reason?

Second Question:

Tamil Brahmins are accused of dominating the society and practicing casteism.

The state which had the worst form of untouchability was Kerala. The Kerala Brahmins considered even other Brahmins as untouchables. This is accepted by them. The Kerala Brahmins were feudal landlords who owned more lands than the Tamil Brahmins ever did. They learnt the Vedas and still practice Mimansa rigorously. They also claim to be Aryans from North India.

But the anti Brahmin movement which was founded by a Malayali had no effect there. The Brahmins are held in respect there even now.

Why is it ?

Third question:

Maharashtra is the Birth place of Mahatma Phule who started a social reform movement which was basically Anti- Brahmin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyotirao_Phule

It is also the place where Babasaheb Ambedkar started his movement.

Though the political system has seen struggle between Brahmins and others there is no anti-Brahmin feeling in Maharashtra like we have in Tamil Nadu.

Why is there a general anti-Brahmin feeling in Tamil Nadu?

In most of the cities we have a Maharashtra Nivas, Malayali Samaj, and Bengali association where all the Maharashtrians, Malaylis, and Bengalis gather irrespective of caste. How come the Tamilians are not able to do it?

Very powerful questions.

I think that the answers to these are within us. The responses will reflect the level to which we are ready to analyze ourselves, and reinvent our profile and how we project ourselves for this century.

Great start!

Anti Brahminism

I don't think the entire TN is against or majority of TN is against any particular community. Of course not. Tamil is a good language.It has good resources.Of course TN has many good people.But its own interest or depends on opportunities which language they use widely or promote.One cannot brand one community based on it.
I dont know about music.But it would have some specific reasons.You have to take whole communities work if you want to analyze.If you extend the argument is MK a Tamilian? Is his or his neighbours TV promoting Tamil culture or Tamil? Is he living according to Tamil culture?( Full saree la varalamla!! Een Western dance?? Western style music? Western dress..Tanglish??Otherwise they think they may not succeed in business which might be untrue.BTW how is the 'Makkal tholaikatchi'?) Doesn't matter for people as long as they get what he promised.
Politics does need truth.As long as one wins the election thats enough. As far as I know , many caste believe in MK that he would do good for their communities.So they vote for him.Thats why he claims he works for SC,MBC,BC and minorities.

One more aspect to consider , there is no such two natural divisions as Tamil vs Brahmins. There are more caste divisions. Its upto the individual to decide if the entire community as whole is against somebody, how they could have lived so far, given that Brahmins dont have muscle power or political guts so far. I guess this is the reason may be the answer to your question.

The so called rational movements are casteist in nature. You can check their leaders profile.

One more thing is we hesitate to respond. I have heard some of my friends calling JJ a Brahminical force. I didnt get even a single advantage in her rule.As far as I know , no single Brahmin is compared to other communities....Logic is simple . She is Brahmin so her party is Brahminical.
Do we ever shot back saying DMK is antiBrahmin?

I have heard my muslim friends openly saying BJP is communal .Even some cast bogus votes in elections.Have we ever asked a friend 'Look you are rich.Is it morally right to have reservation?'

I guess in this world if you hav a good propaganda machinery even a terror organization can thrive . If you dont speak out good people would look like betrayers and traitors.
In the same TN we have still people give more respect for Brahmins.Its our duty to uphold the values and remove the misinformation.

Response to your three questions

Dear Sri Nacchinarkinyan Ji,

I am neither as learned in our scriptures nor have the experience of living in India as a TB for the past 37 years, especially in Tamil Nadu.

But three vivid memories of my childhood shaped my beliefs during my life.

1. When I was young, my best friend was the son of a servant 'sudhra' at my home, who lived in a servant's quarter near my home. We played together as with my neighbors who were Hindus, Muslims and Christians. We were best of friends in the elementary school. I came in second, where he was the top student! I still remember his sharp intellect. I went on to High school and he did not as his father wanted him to supplement the family's income and forbade him to continue beyong the fifth standard. I often dream about him today, wondering how he made his life.

2. My lawyer uncle who took care of myself and my family after my father's untimely death was quite orthodox. But he had very good relations with our neighbors, who were both muslim and christian. In fact, he employed the neighboring Christian doctor to dliver my sisters first born, right there in our home. I still remember the day, during his son's marriage, he angrily left the wedding dinner when he saw this doctor seated a distance apart from him!

3. I used to have a cousin who was fairer than anyone else I have seen. But I thought her other features were not attractive. But I only heard comments from my family members who thought she was beautiful just based on her skin color.

This is why, to me, any system that discriminates based on a system that presupposes a person's role or worth in a society is not correct.

I don't know what is the real reason why TBs are not liked in their own homeland (Swamy Vivekananda Ji has said that the Tamilians are no different from the so called Northeners and carry the same Hindu genetics).

Is it because, as TBs, we have forgotten the true mission of Brahminhood? Please correct me if I am wrong, But the Industrialists in TN were either Chettiars or Brahmins. Does this have anything to do with the answer to your questions?

Pranams,
KRS

The Tamil Brahmins are called Tamil Brahmins because their mother tongue is Tamil. We are first Tamils and then only Brahmins. The Bengalis, Malayalis, Maharashtrians, Telugus, Kannadigas are first Bengalis, Malayalis, Maharashtrians, Telugus, Kannadigas and then only their caste.

I sometimes wonder whether the Tamil Brahmins have placed their Brahminhood before being a Tamilian. Once you move out of Tamil Nadu you are classified as Tamilian whatever may be your caste.

Tamil is the oldest spoken living language in the world. I feel proud to be a Tamilian. I took part in the old anti-Hindi agitation ( I was on leave from a college in North India) and took a caning by the police too. I can speak Hindi and many other Indian languages fluently. But my mother tongue is Tamil.

We all know very well that Tamil Brahmins have contributed and continue to contribute to the development of Tamil. We may not agree with the so called Tamil culture enunciated by some groups. But that does not make a difference.

The first thing we have to accept and emphasize that we are Tamils first and then only Brahmins. Fact is you do not speak any other language and very few are conversant with Sanskrit which is not spoken anywhere.

Today we the South Indians dominate India. We are the success story. Who wants to be called a North Indian? The cow belt states have contributed only ignorance, poverty, and backwardness to the country. Unfortunately they hold the political power.

So if we want acceptance we have to unequivocally state to everyone that we are Tamilians first and then only anything else.

Be what you are!!!

I guess there is no need for acts. Be what you are. There is no first or second. If there is a trouble for innocents its our duty to raise our voice to correct it and support it. If it belongs to our caste or language persons or religious or nation we should take the first step.After all , if you don't do that others will hesitate to do it. If your brother gets hit in front of your eyes for wrong reasons its natural to support him.At the same time we should not discriminate our people from others . Meaning in a equal opportunity company if you are selecting people(or giving preference because you feel they are dominating despite their relatively good performance) based on your caste,language,place , religion or even country we are not only doing harm to our company but also to our community.Neutrality is a good ideal to follow.Go with your mindset with the parameters of truth and justice.We should not carried away with what is the perception on us by others.

I cannot accept some points posted below. A state with poverty etc etc doesn't mean that the people there should feel disgrace about their identity. If my mother is poor and illiterate I wont get shy to call her my mother. I feel the paras you have written doesn't suit your quote 'Yathum oore ,Yavarum kelir'.

Actually even I have dreams about conducting interviews through Tamil, Asking them Tamil Grammar questions (ilakkana kurippu) .I wonder how it will be if we take Foreigners as students in our universities by conducting GRT :) But thats not practical. Harvard and Cambridge are the rule of the day. Its time to improve ourself in all areas.Rest will happen automatically.

One more thing you have to remember. I don't know how you suffered at the hands of police.But I am sure lakhs of Tamizhians in TN are suffering in TN more than you did daily just because they know only Tamil.

Which one is the correct Tamil spelling ? Is it 'Nacchinaarkkiniyan' or Nacchinarkiniyan' in Tamil?

The Tamil Brahmins are called Tamil Brahmins because their mother tongue is Tamil. We are first Tamils and then only Brahmins. The Bengalis, Malayalis, Maharashtrians, Telugus, Kannadigas are first Bengalis, Malayalis, Maharashtrians, Telugus, Kannadigas and then only their caste.

I sometimes wonder whether the Tamil Brahmins have placed their Brahminhood before being a Tamilian. Once you move out of Tamil Nadu you are classified as Tamilian whatever may be your caste.

Tamil is the oldest spoken living language in the world. I feel proud to be a Tamilian. I took part in the old anti-Hindi agitation ( I was on leave from a college in North India) and took a caning by the police too. I can speak Hindi and many other Indian languages fluently. But my mother tongue is Tamil.

We all know very well that Tamil Brahmins have contributed and continue to contribute to the development of Tamil. We may not agree with the so called Tamil culture enunciated by some groups. But that does not make a difference.

The first thing we have to accept and emphasize that we are Tamils first and then only Brahmins. Fact is you do not speak any other language and very few are conversant with Sanskrit which is not spoken anywhere.

Today we the South Indians dominate India. We are the success story. Who wants to be called a North Indian? The cow belt states have contributed only ignorance, poverty, and backwardness to the country. Unfortunately they hold the political power.

So if we want acceptance we have to unequivocally state to everyone that we are Tamilians first and then only anything else.

This is not a discussion about Tamil.

It is very simply to think on the question whether you consider yourself a Tamil first or a Brahmin first. We should think of ourself as a Tamilian first.

This is the first step in countering Ant-Brahminism in Tamil Nadu.

Note: This is basically an exploration of ideas for countering the prevalent anti-Brahminism in Tamil Nadu and how we can live at peace with other communities. This is not about political power. It may not be applicable to all the Tamil Brahmins, but it is a generalization.

Last edited:
Very powerful questions.

I think that the answers to these are within us. The responses will reflect the level to which we are ready to analyze ourselves, and reinvent our profile and how we project ourselves for this century.

Great start!

What does a total lack of response indicate?

What to do for why?

Dear Sri Nacchinarkiniyan Ji,

I have edited your prior posting to highlight the lines I have questions about:

1. How would one demonstrate this concept of 'Tamilian First and Brahmin Second' in the real day to day life?
2. What will be the behaviours one should adopt to become a Tamilian First as opposed to a Brahmin First?
3. How will we than go about 'convincing' other fellow Tamils that we have changed?
4. What immediate steps we can take up as a community (if we can) and also what steps we can take up for long term as a community to sustain this (if it can be)?
5. Last but not least, how would one convey this idea (which on the surface explains the 'unique' treatment of Brahmins in TN), to our community with a proper thrust so that any required behavioural changes may occur?

Or are we just discussing this as an academic interest and can not really effect any change?

Pranams,
KRS

Thank you, KRS.

I would not like this to be a mere academic discussion. The aim is for the individual Tamil Brahmin to live in peace in Tamil Nadu with mutual respect between all communities.

Your questions are vital to this issue.

But before we go on to those we have to understand the realtionship between Tamil and Hinduism. And why some of the Tamil Brahmins show indifference to Tamil. Tamil language has been associated with Hinduism from ancient times. Kamba Ramayanam is one of the important Hindu texts through which Valmiki's Ramayana was brought to the common man.

There is a Puranam in Tamil. Peria Puranam. And then we have the great Nalayira Dhivya Prabhandam. The Bhakti movement in India was started by the Nayanmars and Azhwars.

Bhakti movement rejuvenated Hinduism and lead its resurgence among the common people. Bhakti movements were rooted in local languages. The traditionalists had opposed the Bhakti movement calling it non-Vaidhik. Though most of the Hindus today believe in Bhakti, the opposition still continues as it does not emphasize rituals. Another reason for opposition to the Bhakti movement arose because it does not emphasize the Varna division. Many of the Azhwars and Nayanmars were not Brahmins.

In Tamil Nadu this was projected by the traditionalists as Tamil versus Sanskrit.

The older generation of Brahmins were more interested in Tamil. Many of them were scholars in Tamil and Sanskrit. But later on Tamil came to be associated with the anti-Brahmin movement. This was an extremely clever strategy to isolate the Tamil Brahmins from the other communities. We shall see how this strategy was used to isolate the Brahmins.

Last edited:
How can perception of one's language decide one's respect and safety?

First of all w.r.t living with peace with mutual respect in TN between all communities, the personal or their community preference has to do nothing.I may know only German still If I am an Indian I should be living in peace with all parts of TN.Otherwise there is a problem with the other community not on the particular person.

Actually I am surprised to see the anti Tamil theories of Brahmins.Actually the details given below about alwars,NayanMaars and vedic tradition many Brahmins dont know about it. So there is no case of purposefully ignoring a language that too thats your Mother tongue.If I want to really criticize my language I will do it openly.

I have high respect of for Kambar.His Ramayanam is a masterpiece.But I am not sure of your claim it took Ramayana to the common man. If you say the work done around it , spread it more it would be fine.Even my Tamil master who had decades of experience in teaching taught every poem with the help of Konar notes. For a common man 'Mutthai tharu patthith thiru nagai' of ArunaGiriNathar is same thing as Sanscrit prose or anyother language.Many Brahmins recite in both languages without knowing anyone's meaning.

If Brahmins alone learn some Sanscrit poem that doesnt mean they are neglecting their mother tongue.I know many people who are well versed in Tamil Siva sithantham too. They do tell stories in it.Many Brahmins recite Tamil poems during their prayers. PachaiMamalai,Abirami anthathi,Kantha sashti kavasam,many thiruppavai,thiruvembavai songs are popular.I haven't so far heard even a single word from anyone either from my family or others against reading or praying anything in Tamil.

Since Vedas , which is thought to be the start of the Hinduism I guess there is nothing wrong in following it.Did Nayarmars and Azhwars argued against it? Did they do pujas in Tamil only in their period?

Its not Brahmins disassociated from Tamil.Its politicians in the name of Tamil infest problems among Hindu community.Even some of the alwars and NayanMaars are targeted in worst manner by the some so called Tamil organisation.

Thank you, KRS.

I would not like this to be a mere academic discussion. The aim is for the individual Tamil Brahmin to live in peace in Tamil Nadu with mutual respect between all communities.

Your questions are vital to this issue.

But before we go on to those we have to understand the realtionship between Tamil and Hinduism. And why some of the Tamil Brahmins show indifference to Tamil. Tamil language has been associated with Hinduism from ancient times. Kamba Ramayanam is one of the important Hindu texts through which Valmiki's Ramayana was brought to the common man.

There is a Puranam in Tamil. Peria Puranam. And then we have the great Nalayira Dhivya Prabhandam. The Bhakti movement in India was started by the Nayanmars and Azhwars.

Bhakti movement rejuvenated Hinduism and lead its resurgence among the common people. Bhakti movements were rooted in local languages. The traditionalists had opposed the Bhakti movement calling it non-Vaidhik. Though most of the Hindus today believe in Bhakti, the opposition still continues as it does not emphasize rituals. Another reason for opposition to the Bhakti movement arose because it does not emphasize the Varna division. Many of the Azhwars and Nayanmars were not Brahmins.

In Tamil Nadu this was projected by the traditionalists as Tamil versus Sanskrit.

The older generation of Brahmins were more interested in Tamil. Many of them were scholars in Tamil and Sanskrit. But later on Tamil came to be associated with the anti-Brahmin movement. This was an extremely clever strategy to isolate the Tamil Brahmins from the other communities. We shall see how this strategy was used to isolate the Brahmins.

Hinduism like all older religions has thousands of divisions. The Christians call their divisions as denominations. Historians call our divisions as sects. But this word sect does not convey the proper meaning.

The Orthodox Hindu Philosophy has six divisions or Dharsanas. The term Orthodox here means that all of them believe in the Vedas. In fact it may come as a surprise to some of you that the terms Aasthika and Nashthika means Believer and non-believer in Vedas. These terms have nothing to do with belief in a supreme GOD.

Now there is a term which Tamil Brahmins use often. That is Vaidhika Marga. Some of our Acharyas have the title Vaidhika Marga Pravartka. This means the way of the Vedas. An interpretation of this is that this is the way of the Karma Kanda or the Ritualistic section of the Vedas. This school of thought is basically Purva Mimansa.

This school over the period of ages has accepted the thoughts of the Advaita Vedanta school with a condition that the most important thing are the Rituals. This ritualistic religion over a period of time has come to be called Brahminism though it is a misnomer. It is the emergence of the Smarta religion which lead to the unification of the numerous sects. But the Samarta religion's core beliefs were founded on Smiritis and Varnshrama Dharma. I am not going into details here as it is not really relevant.

The Smarta religion also brought into vogue religious organizations. The different Maths and Peetams emerged. The main maths for the Samrtas are the Sankara Maths. Though originally only four later on a number of them came up. Today it is estimated that there are more than fifty. Following this tradition the Vaishnavas also set up a number of Maths. Though all these organizations were controlled by Brahmins, the followers included people from all castes. But at a later stage some of the other forward castes set up their own Maths. These non-Brahmin Maths also believe in the Varna system.

These are what could be called organized Hindu religion. The organized Hindu religion has been responsible for the survival of Hinduism. When there was a protest against Varna system it was basically a protest against these organizations.

Now zooming to the last two hundred years with specific reference to Tamil Nadu. The Brahmins in Tamil Nadu are mostly affiliated to Shringeri Math, Kanchi Math and the various Vaishnava Jeers. They all swear by the Varna system though a section of the Vishnavas are exceptions. Again here the hold of the Shringeri math is not rigid because of its situation in Karnataka. Its influence among the common Brahmins is rather limited. The followers are mostly from the southern districts of Tamil Nadu. Kanchi Math being situated earlier in Kumbakonam and then in Kanchipuram has a direct influence among the Brahmins. It has also gained adherents from the Shringeri math followers in the last five decades.

The largest Non-Brahmin Math of Tamil Nadu are the Saiva Siddhanta. These arose because of the large following for Saiva siddhanta in Tamil Nadu. They have a number of different Maths spread all over the state. Thease are called Adheenams. Though there are a number of followers of Saiva Siddhanta among the Brahmins, they are a very small minority among the Brahmins and a much smaller minority among the followers of Saiva Siddhanta. Thease Maths are very powerful as they control many of the Siva temples in Tamil Nadu.

[There are many Brahmins who believe that Brahmins controlled the temples in Tamil Nadu. The fact is that even in Tanjore and Trichy districes many important temples were under Dharmapuram Adheenam (28 temples allover Tamil Nadu Example: Thiruvaiyaru, Thiruvidaimarudur, Thiruvarur, Sirkali, Vaitthisvaran koyil, Thirukkadaiyur, Mayiladuturai), Tiruvavaduthurai Adheenam and the family of the last Tanjore king Serboji]

Now we come to the crucial point. The organized Brahmin Maths have refused to accept the Saiva Siddhanta religion. Saiva Siddhanta is a very old religion based on Saiva Agamas. The Agamas are theological treatises and practical manuals of divine worship. You can read about them here.

http://www.dlshq.org/religions/agamas.htm

The temples are constructed according to Agama Sastra and the worship is also according to Agama Sastra.

Saiva Siddhanta has over the years has all the religious texts in Tamil which they follow. Many of these texts were written by the Nayanmars many of whom were Brahmins. The Vaishnavas also have the Tamil texts from the Azwars. Over a period of time Subramanya/Muruga has assumed the role of Thamizh Kadvul.

Again a large population of Tamil Nadu worship Gods/Goddesses like Madan, Isakki, Muniappan, Karuppana swamy, Mariamman, Kali and others. Though many Brahmins also worship these Gods/Goddesses the organized religion does frown on worship of these deities. The worship in many of these temples are done by Pujaris who are not Brahmins. They also worship in Tamil.

When the DK launched thier rationalist movement they were careful not to attack Siva and Muruga or Mariamman. They attacked only the so called Brahminical Gods. The rationalist movement failed bacause the believers were not only Brahmins but also other castes.

But the DMK chose to place more emphasis on Tamil than atheism. Initially this got them a lot of support among all the castes including Brahmins. A number of Brahmins did take part in the Anti-Hindi agitation and are Tamil lovers/fanatics (I am). We should remember that the first person who changed his name from Sanskrit to Tamil was Suryanarayana Sasthiri a Brahmin to Paruthimal Kalaignan. ( I was thinking of it. But the translation of my name looked funny in Tamil. So gave it up.) The purest Tamil ( you could call it Chenthamizh or kadumathamizh) in recent Tamil literature was written by the great Na. Parthasarathy.

But basically DMK projected all Brahmins as anti Tamil. Thus they got the support of the Saiva Siddhanta Sannidhanams and the other castes who worshipped Shiva and the village deities.

How was this managed and how did our organized religion help them?

I will elaborate later.

Social revolution by Tamil Brahmins

Before we go to the strategy of DMK we have to look at the rise of the Tamil Brahmins and the then prevalent social and economic situation.

We have very little factual information about the status of the Tamil Brahmins before the English came to India. There were Brahmin Ministers and officials in under the Kings. There were also landlords who had inherited lands which were in most cases donated by the Kings. But a vast majority of them were middle class or poor. They stayed in Agraharams and were mostly dependent on the temples for their livelihood.

The most important thing is that they were not considered a threat by the other castes in the pursuit of money and power.

When the East India company came as traders, the first people to benefit were the trading community from the other castes. They made tonnes of money as dubashis, custom agents and middlemen.

Later when the British government introduced English education in India the Brahmins in Tamil Nadu were the first community to go for it. Why? If the Brahmins were the dominant community like the Malayali Brahmins, what was the necessity for education in a foreign language? The Malayali Brahmins never went for it in a big way. The Tamil Brahmin community was in a poor way. They were migrating to the neighboring states like Travancore, Cochin, Palakkad, and Mysore wherever they received any encouragement.

Some of them had learnt Telugu earlier to please the Telugu rulers and get employment.

The Tamil Brahmins took to English education as a means of survival. Even here the rich and the poor did not do it. The rich did not need it and poor could not even afford this. The middle class took it up in a big way to improve their lot.

Later when the Independence movement was launched the Tamil Brahmin community took an active role and thus they also became politically powerful. They took up social reforms.

They did so well that for the first time in the history of Tamil Nadu, this community came to be looked upon with envy. There was a lot of resentment.

As long as the Brahmins kept to their Agraharams and were bothered only about the temple pujas, no one had any problem. We all know the status of the Purohitas and Archakas even in our community. They are employees of the Yajaman. The Yajamans who were from other castes were all happy with the Brahmins when the Brahmins only performed Pujas for them.

The organized religion was also extremely unhappy because they were losing their hold. But they had to be satisfied with the allegiance of the rich (who were their patrons) and the poor who were dependent on them. But they could not prevent the Tamil Brahmins from breaking free of the shackles which had bound them for generations. The middle class still paid lip service to them.

By acquiring English education the Tamil Brahmins changed the status quo. And to top it all the Brahmins did too well for the liking of the other castes. Most of you would have heard people saying "He does not know his place". What they mean is the place in society. By acquiring English education we toppled the apple cart. By joining the independence movement and being pioneers in social reforms, we had started a social revolution.

A similar problem is faced by another community in the last 15/20 years. Like our leaving the Agraharams, they are leaving their colonies and educating themselves and also becoming politically powerful.

Note: I am stopping here so that I could receive comments/feed back from other members.

Last edited:
To get more realistic appreciation of social dimensions of caste based hierarchical society, it is necessary to examine demographic constitution of the society over a period of past 500 years or more. Unfortunately, such historical figures are not available.

It is difficult to imagine that a minisculous minority of (unarmed and penniless) people (Brahmins) could establish themselves at the apex of the social pyramid. Perhaps, in olden days, Brahmins were in significant numbers to ensure their continued dominance of elite space of the society.

Whom do you exactly mean by organized religion ? Brahmins were the supposed custodians and interpreters of the scriptures and religious practices.

In an agricultural society like India it is the landowners who are the bosses. The caste based hierarchy never represented the balance of power. In a feudal system the Kings rule. They appoint people to look after their interests. They were called by many names. In most cases these people were also responsible for collection of revenue.

Thiugh there were some Brahmin land lords they were very few. In the village it is the landlords who were/are the real power. They got the farming done by labourers who were from all castes. The services were provided by iron smiths, carpenters and others.

But in the day to day life of the people the Brahmin was not involved. All of them accepted that the Brahmins were the final authority in respect of religion. But even in the day to day running of the temples, the Dharma Kartha who was mostly from one of the land owning castes decided all issues.

As I had said in many of my earlier postings, the seers never envisaged Brahmins as a ruling class. That was left to Kshatriyas. Trading was left to Vysyas. Only in respect of religion Brahmins were supreme.

As long as the Brahmins restricted themselves to only religion there was no problem. A few Brahmins becoming rulers did not make much of a difference. But when an entire Brahmin community takes to English Education and starts competing for the secular space, it is nothing but a revolution.

Take the case of Gujarati and Rajasthani Brahmins. They are nowhere in the picture in those states. They did not get themselves educated and ended up as cooks in rich houses. All Marwaris have only Brahmin cooks. They call them Maharaj. They have Brahmin Munshis also.

Tamil Brahmins broke this mold.

By organized religion I meant the small community based formal or informal organization of the Brahmins. Usually dominated by the chief priest of the local temple. They were again formally/informally affiliated to different Maths/Gurus.

Last edited:
Recently, I did some research on growth and decline of Budhism in India and rise of neo-Budhism.

One thing which emerged consistently in the writings of several experts was that growth of Budhism from 300 BC to 1000 AD was primarily to provide alternate religion to those who wanted to escape from the tyrannical world dominated by the Brahmins. Budhist monks who initially composed in Sanskrit quickly abandoned and adopted people's language, Pali.

Later, from around 12 the century AD onwards, Budhism declined and finally disappeared from the land of its own birth, mainly due to revival of Hinduism led by Vaishanvite saints etc.

A few Brahmins becoming rulers did not make much of a difference.

Again to emphasize a point the other castes did not bother as long as a few Brahmin landlords were there. What they found difficult to countenance was the son of the local Brahmin priest or cook becoming a judge.

Imagine the shock of the Dharma Karta of a temple who is also the biggest landlord of the place, when he finds that son of the poor priest in his temple is the local collector.

The Tamil Brahmins also were in the fore front for women's education, rights, abolition of child marriage and in the struggle of the deprived section of the society. It was one Vaidyanatha Iyer who led all the castes into the Madurai temple.

Last edited:
There are many who believe that everything was honey and milk in Tamil Nadu before the advent of the British. An ideal society. I only wish it were true.

But history reveals otherwise. I had done some research about the migration of Tamil Brahmins to other states. But it is very difficult if not impossible to obtain information about the state of affairs in Tamil Nadu before the British. Especially with regard to Tamil Brahmins.

There is historical evidence of migration of Tamil Brahmins from Tanjore district to Palghat. The Palghat king had fallen foul of the local Malayali Brahmins. He invited the Tamil Brahmins from Tamil Nadu and gave them lot of land. I was able to trace some families back to Raja Mannarkudi.

But the question is why did they leave Mannargudi? Palghat is not a neighbouring town. We could find some plausible reasons for the Tamil Brahmins from Thirunelveli and Ramnad district going to Travancore. These two districts are drought prone and Travancore was part of Then Pandi Nadu. It is also not very far.

But from Mannargudi to Palghat. Mannargudi is fertile land of the Cauveri delta. We have had a better presence there than in most places. Then WHY? Again why from Tanjore and not from the neighboring Kongu Nadu?

Again it was not an easy decision. Even after more than a couple of centuries they are being called Paradeshi Brahmins. So you can imagine their situation when they originally migrated.

And the number of people involved were not small as they had set up a number of villages.

The only possible reason is that it was a question of survival.

The other forward castes did not take up the English education in a big way, because there was no necessity. They were the landlords and traders.

The only Brahmin community in India which was powerful before the advent of the British were the Chitpavan Brahmins from Maharadhtra. Though the Mahrattas were the rulers the real rulera were the Peshvas .

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-46988/India

The Peshwas built the Maharatta empire and undoubtedly were the most powerful Brahmins India had seen for a long time. But even here the Chitpavan Brahmins were not prominent till Balaji Visvanath Bhat came on the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back