• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The covert anti-Brahmin policies carried out by successive Congress governments had
infuriated the then younger generation. But the older generation was mostly with the
INC. But when Swatantra party was floated many of them became its sympathizers. In
1967 when the seniormost Brahmin leader wanted the Brahmins to support DMK, they went
for it. DMK won the elections in 1967 with the support of a large number of Brahmins.
I am not going to write about what happened after 1967 since it is recent history.

The present day Tamil Brahmins especially the younger generation has to understand
some basic facts.

1. It is an absolute fallacy to say that the Brahmins dominated the society. They
never did especially in Tamil Nadu. Yes, they did have almost a near monopoly of the
top positions in the Government. But the real power was always with the British and
then the elected governments. We tend to be taken in by the propaganda of the
political parties. This is a pity. The demagogues in different parties try to portray
that the Tamil Brahmins dominated society for a long time. Instead of countering the
propaganda, we also start believing in this canard.

Most of the prominent castes in Tamil Nadu have dominated the regions where they were
in a majority. Many of them can also trace some rulers from their caste. But Brahmins
being a very small minority could never do it. I come from a family which has owned
land for generations. In my village there were about half a dozen big Brahmin
landlords who owned a large percentage of land in the district. But the dominent
community was someone else who had the numerical majority. We leased the land to them
and they got it cultivated.

2. Political parties are rarely if ever really interested in community development.
Only now the caste based parties at least show some interest in the development of
the community as it affects their vote bank. But political leaders need votes from
all communities especially those who are in a majority in their constituencies. So
they can not be seen as a representative of a small community. The Brahmin Ministers
in the state and centre have brought about some improvements in the Brahmin
community. But this is more by way of political patronage.

3. In a democracy where it is number of votes that count, a small community like
Tamil Barhmins can never play a very important role. Political power is just out of
reach for the community. It is wrong to view BJP as a Brahmin party. You may be
surprised to know that BJP was called a Bania Party in Delhi long time back. Neither
of the statements is true. It is a national party which consists of members of all
communities and needs the support of all communities for coming to power. In fact one
of the reasons for BJP not doing well in Tamil Nadu is the projection by others that
it is a Brahmin party.

4. Political power is not a prerequisite for the welfare of the community. Nor is it
panacea for all ills. A community can do very well without political power.

5. Since we are interested in the welfare of the community, we will have to think of
how the community can benefit by the efforts of individual members. Also how we can
live amicably with the members of all other communities.

Since Religion plays an important role in the life of the Tamil Brahmins, we will
digress in my next post about the religious developments in Tamil Nadu and how it
affected/affects the community.

Dear Sri Nacchinarkiniyan Ji,

I have read and reread your last two postings several times.

My family were also land owners and my grandfather among his four siblings was the only one who 'made' it. He took care of all of his poor relatives. And so, I know that the majority of TBs were not materially well off.

But the problem that you seemed to have not touched is this. While a number of TBs did well, the community DISPROPORTIONATELY occupied jobs of power and importance. If you look at the IAS, Justice, Physician, Professorial cadres, prominant Industrialists as well as politicians till the time of Periyar, you would see that TBs sent their children disproportionately to higher education (mind you, I am not saying this is our fault) and got highly visble jobs.

In this sense there was envy and a feeling that as a community we did very well. I agree with you while may be a 10% of our community did well, those who did well did extremely well and were visible. This was the problem.

So, I do not completely agree that others made the thesis that we did well. It was a combination.

Hope this makes sense. This, in my opinion is a very important point to consider as we craft our present day message about our community's past.

Pranams,
KRS

I have read and reread your last two postings several times.

My family were also land owners and my grandfather among his four siblings was the only one who 'made' it. He took care of all of his poor relatives. And so, I know that the majority of TBs were not materially well off.

But the problem that you seemed to have not touched is this. While a number of TBs did well, the community DISPROPORTIONATELY occupied jobs of power and importance. If you look at the IAS, Justice, Physician, Professorial cadres, prominant Industrialists as well as politicians till the time of Periyar, you would see that TBs sent their children disproportionately to higher education (mind you, I am not saying this is our fault) and got highly visble jobs.

In this sense there was envy and a feeling that as a community we did very well. I agree with you while may be a 10% of our community did well, those who did well did extremely well and were visible. This was the problem.

So, I do not completely agree that others made the thesis that we did well. It was a combination.

Hope this makes sense. This, in my opinion is a very important point to consider as we craft our present day message about our community's past.

Pranams,
KRS

I had mentioned this in my post. I was talking only about Dominance.

Yes, they did have almost a near monopoly of the top positions in the Government. But the real power was always with the British and then the elected governments.
Periyar considered the Congress to be the major player in the Anti_Brahmin movement. That is why he always supported the Congress and not the DMK. A little known fact of history.

Please see the last paragraph in this article.

http://tfmpage.com/my/mani/dravida.html

Last edited:
image of Brahmins

After 1960 and more so in the seventies and later, a large number of religious
movements/leaders gained prominence. When compared to the situation about 40 years
back people tend to be more religious now. This has also resulted in the revival of
many practices. This is true of all the communities in Tamil Nadu.

The movements/leaders who gained prominence during this period are

1. Sathya Sai Baba

2. Sankaracharya of Kanchi.

3. Bangaru Adigalar.

4. Shanmuga Desika Gnanasambandha Swamigal of Dharmapuri Adheenam.

and a host of other Gurus (many of them Brahmins) with their own following.

The resurgence of Hinduism under all these people ensured the demise of the
rationalist movement.

Sathya Sai Baba has a large following among the Tamil Brahmins. There a few Tamil
Brahmins who do follow Bangaru Adigalar.

Of these Sathya Sai Baba movement is now concentrating on service to people. Bangaru
Adigalar has enfranchised women with his Adi Parasakthi movement. The various Gurus
belong mostly to the Siddha/Saktha and other traditions.

But most of these movements other than Sathya Sai Baba also believe in the caste
system.

How did these developments affect the Tamil Brahmins?

Tamil Brahmins have been in the forefront of the Social reform and Tamil movements.
They took the lead in

1. Abolition of child marriage.

2. Promotion of widow remarriage.

3. The upliftment of the Dalit community.

4. Temple entry for all.

5. Sri Ramakrishna movement (even today the movement has a large following.)

6. Theosophical Movement

You name any social/religious movement in the last 100 years and the Tamil Brahmins
have been in the fore front. Because of this reputation Maharishi Mahesh yogi started
his TM movement in Tamil Nadu.

As far Tamil is concerned, Subramaniya Bharathi,Thamizh Thattha U.V. Swaminatha Iyer
and others played a major role.

The orthodox religion has been opposed to

1. English Education.

2. Going abroad or crossing the seas.

and all the movements where the Tamil Brahmins played a major rule.

If we had followed the orthodox religion, we would not have survived and remained as
poor as church mice. The anti-Brhmin movement would never have started. This is
exactly what Periyar wanted.

But in the last two decades, Tamil Brahmins came to be associated more and more with
the orthodox religion. Bharathiar who sang

"Parpanai Iyer enra kalamum pocche" is no longer the ideal.

In the sixties and earlier Tamil Brahmins were known outside Tamil Nadu for their
administrative skills, knowledge of English and proficiency in Mathematics. But now
the image is that they are Orthodox. What a come down for a community.

If the community has to look up it has to give up being associated with the Orthodox
religion.

The greatest Brahmin who ever lived was Yagnavalkya and not Adi Sankaracharya.

http://kids.swaminarayan.org/storytime/yagnavalkya.htm

http://www.shuklayajurveda.org/yagnavalkya-intro.html

http://www.infoplease.com/t/rel/upanishads/brihadaranyaka3.html

You can read the entire Brihadaranyaka Upanishad here.

It is Gargi who declared, “No one, I believe, will defeat him in any argument
concerning Brahman!”

http://www.infoplease.com/t/rel/upanishads/brihadaranyaka3-6.html

But then our Orthodox religion does not accept women maharishis like Gargi,
Maithreyi, or Lopamudra because they are women and deny the right of women to study
the Vedas.

For the Tamil Brahmin community to regain its lost glory we should have Brahmins like Yagnavalkya, Parasurama, and Dhronacharya as our Icons and we have to come out of the clutches of the Orthodox religion.

Dear sri Nacchinarkiniyan ji,

I am a Smartha and my upbringing makes Sri Shankaracharya my family Guru. I was fortunate to have the dharshans of both Maha Periaval and the 'Pudhu' Periaval then in 1957 at my home.

But, which 'Yagnavalkya' you are referring to? Reading your citations, it seems that his main claim is that he said 'Aham Brahmasmi'.

What is your logic in saying that he was 'the greatest Brahmin who ever lived was Yagnavalkya and not Adi Sankaracharya.'?

While I agree that Sri Shankaracharya brought orthodoxy as well as the infusion of the concept of Ishwara back in to our philosophy, I do not understand why you would not consider Him to 'be the greatest Brhamin ever lived'?

Please explain.

Pranams,
KRS

According to legends Sukhla Yajur Veda is attributed to Sage Yagnavalkya. Shatapatha Brahmana is the Brahmana of this Veda. He is also the author of Brihadaranyaka Upanishad.

He is also the author of Yagnvalkaya Smiriti which is considered one of the most important smiritis next only to Manu Smiriti.

Last edited:
I had raised this question earlier in the thread and also in another thread.

How come there is less anti-Brahminism in the southern districts.
The answer is because of better relationship with the other communities and also because of
leaders like

1. Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar.

2. Rajah Sir Annamalai Chettiar

3. Chi Paa Adhithhanar.

These leaders did not share the views of Periyar and the communities they represented did not
feel threatened by Brahmins.

I do agree that the propaganda carried on by the demagogues has influenced the later generation
to some extent.

That is why I was talking about building relationship with the other communities.

But before we deal with other communities, we have to bring about some modicum of unity in the
Tamil Brahmin Community.

When the Sankaracharya was falsely accused of various crimes and the authorities were flouting
all norms of democratic/civilized society, the Tamil Brahmins were not united. A sectarian
colour was given to the issue. Brahmins who were closely associated with Kanchi Math sought to
distance themselves from it. Many Tamil Brahmins who were dependent on political patronage ran
for cover. A few of them in fact went over to the other side. This was pure cowardice. Recently
I saw an invitation from an organization which owes its very existence to the Kanchi Math. Only
the photograph of Paramacharya and no photographs of Jayendra Saraswati or Vijayendra
Saraswati. It used to be the photographs of all the three earlier.

I may not agree with all the views of Paramacharya, but he was a Spiritual Colossus. Jayendra Saraswati tried to bring about some changes. I admire him for that, though I may not agree with all his views. But Kanchi Math is one of the important religious institutions of the Tamil Brahmins and any decline in the math should be a matter of concern for all the Tamil Brahmins.

Recently I saw one of the heads of a particular sect giving a lecture on the TV. Since I knew
him to be great scholar, I was happy listening to his lecture. But I was shocked when he
started talking about the question of archana in Tamil and entry into the garbagraha. He
claimed that his sect always has Tamil archana and allowed people symbolically into the
garbagraha. But the shocking thing was he named another sect and attacked it for not doing
this.

I am sorry, the earlier paragraphs are an outburst of anguish. Not much relevance to the discussions except to emphasize on unity among the Tamil Brahmins.

Last edited:
I had talked about Unity in an earlier thread.

Now about building relationship with the other communities. How do we go about it?

The main grouse of the other communities is that Tamil Brahmins do not recognize their
religious practices or their religious heads. I have not seen Bangaru Adigalar or any of the
Adheenam heads attending the conference of all religious heads. Many of the smaller gurus
especially from south Tamil Nadu have good relationship with the Adheenam heads. These people
are the religious heads of some of the major communities in Tamil Nadu. But when we cry that
Hinduism is in danger how come we do not involve these religious heads?

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/saints/appayya.htm

Appiah Deekshidhar was a pure Saiva who was a follower of Advaita of Adi Sankaracharya. Many of
the communities in Tamil Nadu are pure Saivas. All the sects of Brahmins have to accept the
pure Saivas and their religious heads, though they may not be Brahmins. The Siddhas did not
accept the caste divisions. Bangaru Adigalar is a Siddha. Please do remember that that but for
him most people in the community that he has come to represent would have become atheists.

Then we have the innumerable temples devoted to Sakthi and various village deities which have
Pujaris. We have to accept these as part of mainstream Hinduism. When we visited the Raja
Karuppanna Swami temple at the foot of the Azagar Koil near Madurai ( It is at the entrance to
the steps which are opened only once a year) people were surprised to see Brahmins there.

But who will do it?

We do not have a leader in our community who can unite us or talk to other communities on our
behalf. But as individuals we can start by accepting the religious practices and heads of other
sects and communities.

Please do remember that it is the Chettiar community which has/is the patron for most of the
temple renovations in Tamil Nadu. It is the Adheenams who have maintained many of our famous
temples. I remember a plaque in Thiruvannamalai temple about the donation of 100, 000 varahans
to the temple by Pachaiappa Mudaliar and a request to all devotees who have problems to contact
the Pachaiappa's trust in Madras. Hinduism and temples have grown by contributions from all
communities. Do you know that one of the biggest center for propagation of Sanskrit in South
India is Rajapalayam?

If we accept all other communities as our equal, they will also accept us.

Perhaps I did not phrase my question properly. I should have asked, given the accomplishments of both, what would make you to evaluate one's work as better than the other's?

They did live in different eras. So, one may also take in to account the impact on the society.

I am not taking either side - I am merely curious to know what your maeasuring criteria are.

Pranams,
KRS

According to legends Sukhla Yajur Veda is attributed to Sage Yagnavalkya. Shatapatha Brahmana is the Brahmana of this Veda. He is also the author of Brihadaranyaka Upanishad.

He is also the author of Yagnvalkaya Smiriti which is considered one of the most important smiritis next only to Manu Smiriti.

What can we do?

What can we do as a community?

1. Accept that Tamil is our mother tongue and that we have no preference to Sanskrit over Tamil.
Clarify our position regarding Tamil archana in temples. We can discuss the issue of Tamil
Archana in a separate thread.

2. Hinduism is not the exclusive property of the Brahmins. All Hindus from all communities
contribute to Hinduism.

3. Brahmins have contributed to the development of India, Tamil and Tamil culture for
centuries. Emphasize the contributions of Brahmins like Chanakya, Arya Bhatta, Susrutha,
Bharathiar, and others and not Adi Sankaracharya and other religious leaders.

4. We could run a publicity campaign to bring home the fact that the Brahmins have contributed
to Tamil language and all other secular developments over centuries. We do not have a history
of doing any physical harm to any other community. The atrocities committed in the name of the
caste system was by other communities and not Brahmins. Untouchability was practiced by all
communities including Dalits. If Tamil is to be made as the language in temples, it could have
been done long time back by the communities which owned the temples.

5. Keep off opportunistic politicians and other religious outfits which are interested only in
whipping up religious sentiments for their own ends.

What can we do as individuals?

As individuals what can we contribute to the welfare of our community.

1. Religion is purely a personal affair. Religious leaders are expected to advice only on
religious matters. Families which took up money lending as a profession , went abroad for ICS
and later higher education, studied engineering and Medicine or started industries, did not
ask the Religious head whether it was right or wrong. When they went for social reforms they
asked no one. This is true of all the Brahmin families.

2. I do not subscribe to the view that the community should go back to its roots. The basic
problem is to what time period? 1200 A.D, 600 B.C or 3000 B.C. I believe that in the modern age
we have to live according to the modern age.

I will start a thread later about whether it is possible or practicable. I do not think it is
a feasible solution. Comments about this may be reserved for the forum to be started.

My post is meant only for those who would like succeed in this modern age and live peacefully.

3. English education is what helped the community and it is the only thing which will help the
community.

4. Though the community had helped start many educational institutions like P.S. Sivaswamy Iyer
high school, Vivekananda college, Meenakshi college, Seethalakshmi Ramaswami college and others.
We should strengthen these institutions and think of more educational institutions. Not the
elitist institutions like Padma Seshadri school.

5. Institute scholarship in as many colleges as possible for poor Brahmin students. We could
even purchase seats in professional colleges and reserve them for deserving students from the
community.

6. Help out the hospitals Like VHS which have been founded by Tamil Brahmins.

7. Help out old age homes which cater to the old among the poor and lower middle class. I do
not mean the five star old age homes.

nacchinarkiniyan,

you have said it all. in a superb manner too. i am with you 100%. i think, on an individual level, we all do what needs to be done, to get ahead.

i do not know, how many of us, would stop pursuing a matter which will improve our economic lot, even if it goes against manu's or other inherited laws.

as long as it satisfies our sense of logic and decency, i think, we will go ahead, no matter what. this adaptability is our strength.

thank you for your indepth analysis and views.

Brahminism is purely SPIRITUAL, Above all languages & political barriers. Adi Sankaraachaarya was from Kerala. Swaami Madhusudana saraswathi was from Bengal.
Sureswaraachaarya was from M P. & so on. Kaanchi Mahaa Swaami's mother tounge was Kannada. Do we not accept them in our Guru parampara & give them respect ?
There is not even a single Aachaarya from Tamil Brahmin community in Sringeri lineage.Are
we making any charges for that?Pl. do not fall in line with petty things like selfish politicians. Brahmins 've contributed much to all da vernacular languages in India.
R.DEVARAJAN

Last edited:
Good Afternoon to all (Namaskaram / Iniya Malai Vannakkam),

Respected Tamil Brahmin Members, I would like to support as well as criticize the existing Brahmin community.

First and foremost to add on Nacchinarkiniyan point,

a. Tamil Brahmin community has contributed much towards Tamil and I am really proud of it, you and I still claim to be tamilian that’s one obvious reason.

b. There are still a good number of Tamil speakers within us.

A few Glitches in our community highlighting Nacchinarkiniyan point

a. But lets look at today's condition; Tamil Brahmin is US Centric not even Indian Centric. Going to Kasi and Rameshwaram is less priority than going to US. This disintegrates within our community.

b. Please don't claim namblava in front of everybody and divide others from them again regulate it; don’t claim IT as our major skill set because we were taught to read and chat Vedas not programming, testing and debugging. This even more disintegrates within our community.

c. This community is teased as "Kosaram" community, just reminds me of my sister she still practices the word "Kosaram & Atthuku", which has now been a fashion and teasers across all other communities. I don't say avoid these words and use “Utukku or athukandi”, but regulate it outside. This integrates across communities,

Please plug in the gaps within ourselves and i believe everything will turn to be good.

Warm Regards,
Bhaskar N

As Nachinarkiniyan has stated elsewhere, I am a Tamilian first and Tamil Brahmin next.

Every caste or sect has its own peculiar usages and customs. As regards 'Athuku',
this word was derived from 'Agam'. In ancient Tamil texts, a person's life inside his
home was called 'Agam' and his life in a social setting is called 'Puram'. Remember 'agathinai' and 'purathinai' and 'Aga-nanooru' and 'Pura-nanooru'? Therefore the word
'agam' is a pure Tamil word and there is nothing to feel shy about that. ('agam' became
'aam' in oral form, in due course).

Regarding the word 'kosam' or 'kosaram', it is more in usage in northern districts of
Tamilnadu, because of the influence of Telugu. In Telugu, this word signifies the
preposition 'for'. (Apart from brahmins, many other caste people use this word in their conversation). But, not all Tamil brahmins use this. I use only 'kaaga' - 'Aaga' meaning 'being'. ('Aaga', 'Aaguga', 'Aaguthal')

The point I wish to make here is Tamil brahmins use purer version of Tamil in many, many ways than the so called 'Tamil Kaavalars' -guardians of Tamil. (In fact, I personally know many self-proclaimed leaders of the Tamil community speak Telugu or Malayalam or some other language at home).

I lived in Andhra Pradesh for 13 years and I used to tell my friends here and there that
'Chennai' adopted bad aspects of both 'Tamil' and 'Telugu' cultures and the best example is the much eulogised 'Chennai Tamil'. (Chittoor district in A.P. is also on similar footing and their Telugu is supposed to be corrupt and a subject of ridicule in most of the Telugu films).

My take on this.Tamil Brahmins got aligned with British White Christians of East India Company and flourished.We developed an attitude,sort of condescending towards others.Knowledge should have made us humble and respectful,instead we became peevish and arrogant.We always act as if we know everything in the world.Above all a Jing Chak buddhi.Also we were physically intimidated easily.Our acaharam anushtanam emphasised on cleanliness,owing to bacterias,hygiene etc.We were unable to explain in context with science instead always relied upon gods,goddess..etc.

We are also by nature a religious groups,but some within our community aligned with evil zamindars and ill treated the down trodden.Finally,we chose english education soon,and moved on in life much to chagrin of our elders.Finally Shudra Kuttans like communist played havoc in our polity which even today is wrecked.

But Tamil Brahmin still work hard and hope we will be treated as equals like before.

sb

sb,

i find words like 'shudra kuttans' coming especially from you, very surprising.

it is a derigatory word and i would appreciate if you would avoid using such in this forum. let us all maintain some dignity and respect towards all, whatever our views may be.

thank you.

Shri Kunjuppu

For me Shudras,Vaisyas,Kshatriyas,Brahmanas are personality traits which exist in each and every human being in earth.I define these as personality traits only.I sincerely tell you,i have no ill feeling towards any castes as ascribed in jathis of India.Shudras are the labor force personality trait people.Without labor,no place in earth can exist.They are supreme,becoz they are physically strongest.In fact,i admire Shudra Kuttan & Kutties becoz of this trait.But for old timers,from Kerala,the word Kuttan and Kutty may mean something.Again,Shri Kunjuppu,i was raised to love all and serve all,which i do.If in any way,i have offended your sensibilities,it was not intentional or derogatory.If you want i can even edit those words,just for you!!In fact my nickname is sometimes Kuttan!!So,i am at my wits ends with your sudden outburst.

sb

P.S.If one is salaried,then in my definition,its labor.So,majority of us are Shudras technically. :)

Last edited:
sb,

i find words like 'shudra kuttans' coming especially from you, very surprising.

it is a derigatory word and i would appreciate if you would avoid using such in this forum. let us all maintain some dignity and respect towards all, whatever our views may be.

thank you.

Shri kunjuppu,

It is a term just as the word "brahmins" is; nothing to be derived out of it... if it were derogatory, then most of our scriptures are to be construed to be biased...

Thanks

Sesh-ji,

Prob is the scriptures are being construed as being biased by the larger folk :(

Sometimes i wonder how even a word such as pattar (which simply means bhatta or bhatt, a respectful term) can be considered derogatory by some.

Same goes for the word aravam. One white man interepreted it in a baseless way based on what some common folk told him (he didn't ask linguists) and everyone accepted his interpretation and followed him like monkeys. And when i ask an linguist he says "ar" generally always has a positive connotation (as in "ar-ya" or "ara" as in "ara-veeti") and aravam by any length need not be a derogatory term at all. Infact, it cud throw some light on the tamils depending on when the term came to be used (which seems really early on)...

When it comes to the scriptures, interpretation seems to change with every school, even at every individual level.

Gurus of vedic mutts provide one explanation to the scriptures.

Gurus of vedic tantras provide another explanation to the same sentences.

Well, this is Kali Yuga. Perhaps its all destained...

'Ravam' is harmonious sound and pleasing to the ears. 'Aravam' is just noisy and irritating. In that sense, Telugus use this term 'aravam' to denote Tamil language and 'aravallu' to denote the whole Tamil population. Hence, these terms are clearly derogatory. The tragedy is most of the Telugus use these two words without knowing their real inner meaning.

'Ravam' is harmonious sound and pleasing to the ears. 'Aravam' is just noisy and irritating. In that sense, Telugus use this term 'aravam' to denote Tamil language and 'aravallu' to denote the whole Tamil population. Hence, these terms are clearly derogatory. The tragedy is most of the Telugus use these two words without knowing their real inner meaning.

This was the explanation given by Edgar Thurston and K Rangachari after speaking to komatis (not to linguists). Kamil Zvelebil, Gustav Solomon had also construed aravam as noise. Robert Cladwell offered an explanation for aravan as virtuous one for buddha. According to one Hikosaka, aravam is the sound of an army during war.

There are 2 explanations:

One, it seems that aravam is not an IE / sanskrit word, its dravidian, so the sanskrit way of removing 'a" from "aravam" as 'a-ravam' may not apply. Instead, it seems the root word is 'ar' as used in dravidian languages would be the right way to derive its meaning..and the term appears to be of old usage (not recent)...

Two, it seems to be have been first used by rural folk to refer to tamil martial folk..in that sense it agrees with Hikosaka's explanation...and it might also agree with the fact that indeed the term was originally used to refer to folk of "ar" or folk of martial nobility..

It just happened to become construed in the negative way wrt usage in the recent times....however, there are people, esp rural folk, who use this term without any negative connotation...and in the present time they do not know any meaning (neither do many non-rural folk appear to know its meaning in the current times)..

Word Aravam can also mean 'snake' in tamil. Duriyothanan used to be referred to as "arava kodiyon" - his flag on his chariot carried 'snake' as his mascot, just, like Arjuna had "Hanuman/Monkey" his mascot on his chariot.

Brahmins are referred to as dangerous than snakes by DK people. May be aravam also conveys this meaning when referred in a derogatory sense?

Words like pattar, ayyar when addressed normally are not derogatory. Becomes derogatory by the implied tone and meaning in which its conveyed. Ex: Tone: Yov iyyirae instead of enna iyyar etc. Meaning: If you say, he is chetty to say he belongs chettiyar community is ok. But if you say the same implying he a miser, it is derogatory.

Also, words take different meaning over period of time to imply the opposite or derogatory. Ex 1: The word natram in olden days tamil means good smell and dhur- natram for bad smell. nowadays, Natram itself is associated with bad smell and good smell is referred to as 'vasanai'. Ex 2: The accepted word nowadays is 'dalit' and 'Harijan' the word coined by Ghandiji is considered derogatory nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back