• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What's Your Favorite Tamil Song?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what's your favourite....

Sir,
In the olden days, they paid great attention to the lyrics and to the
rendering of songs based on Hindustani ragas. Lyrics were rich in
thoughts. We had Shakeel badayuni, Kaifi Azmi, Majroo Sultanpuri
and others. The lyrics were set to music by greats like Pankaj Mullick,
Anil Biswas, Naushad, Nashad, C.Ramachandra, S.D.Burman, Shanker
& Jaikishen, Madan Mohan and Ravi. What a great melody we have in
' dheere dheere, aare badal ... mere bulbul so raha hai...'; and the
patriotic fervour in the song ' door hato duniya wale hindustan hamara
hai' ( both in Kismat ).

And now, what a fall !

Dear Sri Hari,

I lived in Tamilnadu till 1970. I thought that the Tamil movie music by then deteriorated and was vulgar. The high quality of 'love' was then replaced by the cheapness of carnal lust.

I do not know Hindi, but over time, I came to appreciate the Hindi songs, first for the beauty of their tones and then their meaning, which someone else had to translate.

I just saw several recent Tamil releases on DVD (1985 onwards). While they are not vulgar, I miss the poetic part.

Pranams,
KRS

LQ,

What else can you expect from 'em ?

Well it is interesting to see the enthusiasm you and Sri Ranganathan share for the golden oldies.

In this era of "mind blowing mahiaaa" and "Jab we met", this is almost nostalgic.

If you wouldnt mind my telling, today, the best music happens in Tamil. Most of the current hindi stuff is 'Hinglish' or involves high octave nasal crooning of Himesh (yemaiyaa) Reshamaiyyaa.

Another good site to download songs, www.cooltoad.com/go/music

True | Change in perspective

Dear Sri Hari,

I lived in Tamilnadu till 1970. I thought that the Tamil movie music by then deteriorated and was vulgar. The high quality of 'love' was then replaced by the cheapness of carnal lust.

I do not know Hindi, but over time, I came to appreciate the Hindi songs, first for the beauty of their tones and then their meaning, which someone else had to translate.

I just saw several recent Tamil releases on DVD (1985 onwards). While they are not vulgar, I miss the poetic part.

Pranams,
KRS

Sri KRS ji,

You are quite right. But i wish to place this in a certain context.

The period you are referring to and a decade prior to that was the 'bhakti era' and subsequently 'dravida political era'.

I think it was MGR who realised the 'might of the lyric' in whipping up passion in people.

I think in the last decade and half, the use of song lyrics to settle political scores or to build image has waned.

In that sense the "arthamulla songs" has sort of come down.

My comment on hindi songs was actually about the "tune". I wouldnt battle an eyelid in agreeing with you that most of the songs of today of any language are not worth 'seeing'. With the kind of hero salaries, it hardly leaves any money with the producer for him to buy clothes for the heroine, so we are better off with 'virtualizing' the song rather than actual viewing. :)

Strictly on the tune or in other words the quality that is on offer, tamil industry is miles ahead. No other industry in India has the ensemble to rival a ARR, Harris Jeyaraj, Vidyasagar, Karthik Raja and other new comers. And mind you, IR is not yet done. (Cheeni Kum anyone ?)

So strictly from the perspective of the tunes and the fusion etc, i place tamil industry on a higher pedestal than Hindi cinema. And i leave out the Ghazals etc because they are of a different genre.

As LQ sahab rightly said, Hindi cinema has been spoiled by this 'road-side-chat-shop-mentality' music composers. The masala is the same, only the proportion and the order of mixing is different. There are days i feel that i will puke if i hear one more 'tunuk tunuk tunuk' type song.

Now about the lyrics. I agree the meaningful lyrics are not really the order of the day. However there are gems these days too with new lyricists coming up. Pa Vijay, Thamarai, N. Muthukumar, Dr Krithya have penned some of the finest lyrics in recent times. And still vaali is around with "Rathi thee thee" types and Vairamuthu is still around imposing his linguistic suzerainty thru "Aambal and mouval" writings.

But i still feel tamil lyrics havent nosedived to the levels of "mind blowing maahiaa".

My fav songs are illairaja songs. Neenga noor tharava kaetalum bore aagha matinga.-
1. thoongatha vizhikal irendu. -Good music direction, meaning ful lyrics.
2. mazhai varudu. - Different song.
3. Raasa ve onnai vidamaten. -The music which comes after mukhda is soothing.
4. paadu nilave.-Very nice song altogether+Lata mangeshkar.
5. Uravughal Thodargathai.-good diff song.

If you know any other nice illairaja song pls do tell me. Since only now I have started to collect them.

Last edited:
My fav songs are illairaja songs. Neenga noor tharava kaetalum bore aagha matinga.-
1. thoongatha vizhikal irendu. -Good music direction, meaning ful lyrics.
2. mazhai varudu. - Different song.
3. Raasa ve onnai vidamaten. -The music which comes after mukhda is soothing.
4. paadu nilave.-Very nice song altogether+Lata mangeshkar.
5. Uravughal Thodargathai.-good diff song.

If you know any other nice illairaja song pls do tell me. Since only now I have started to collect them.

i missed out ilayaraja period of tamil music, because i was away from india & the internet was not yet to be.

in retrospect, i have heard a few songs, and these are my favourites

- aalappol velappol (ejaman)
- azhagana malayalam
- paartha mudhal naaley

atleast i hope all these are of ilayaraja :)

To kunjuppu sir ok ayya will try to get these songs too.
But nowadays I'm unable to download any songs every time I click on mp3 link a separate tab opens and Q in blue colour comes up and starts playing the song. Its very diff to download the songs.
Sir do check the above songs.
They are superb.

send me your email id and i will send them to you one by one and hopefully they reach you intact. not sure of gmail limitations. i will surely check these songs. thanks.

I happen to read this thread only today. Have any of you heard the song "சித்திரப் பூ சேலை ........." The lyric was written by Jayakanthan.

And this is for those of you who understand Tamil and Malayalam. சின்ன சின்ன ஆசை , சிறகடிக்கும் ஆசை " is a song penned by Vairamuthu and set to music by AR Rehman. "ஒரு வட்டம் கூடி என் ஓர்மைகள் மேயுன்ன திருமுற்றத்து எத்துவான் மோஹம்" is a song sung by Janaki penned by ONV Kurup. Both the songs are sung in a beautiful way. They are both quite different in the mood they create. The theme of both the songs is the same. But what a difference in presentation. Please listen to both these songs and then you will know what I am telling. Cheers.

Sir I'm only found of Illairaja songs. That too there are several hits around 307.
Ilayaraja Hits (307 Songs) | Download Tamil Songs
ilayaraja hits ilayaraja hits ilayaraja songs mp3|tamil songs download TAMIL MP3 watch TAMIL MOVIES online tamilmirchi TAMIL MOVIE VIDEOS
I want only those which I like. So I listen to them before I add them to my favourates. Sir I have provided the link above you can check them out.
Sir if the file is too big then it will take long time to attach so don't send it. (pls check ur msg folder for my email)

Last edited:
Raghyji there are plenty of sites which has illairaja songs but hardly anyone of them permit download now a days if u notice. But sir I have some rare sites which have genuine mp3 download links.If u want i will share them with you. Plus I don't have you tube downloader because I only deal in mp3's. I only have flashget downloader to download mp3's and softwares.
But I will check these songs.

I happen to read this thread only today. Have any of you heard the song "சித்திரப் பூ சேலை ........." The lyric was written by Jayakanthan.

And this is for those of you who understand Tamil and Malayalam. சின்ன சின்ன ஆசை , சிறகடிக்கும் ஆசை " is a song penned by Vairamuthu and set to music by AR Rehman. "ஒரு வட்டம் கூடி என் ஓர்மைகள் மேயுன்ன திருமுற்றத்து எத்துவான் மோஹம்" is a song sung by Janaki penned by ONV Kurup. Both the songs are sung in a beautiful way. They are both quite different in the mood they create. The theme of both the songs is the same. But what a difference in presentation. Please listen to both these songs and then you will know what I am telling. Cheers.

Sri.Raju Sir,

Greetings. Thank you. The songs are great! Here they are for the listening pleasure everyone.....

சித்திரப் பூ சேலை ....... (Movie - pudhu seruppu kadikkum. Don't think it was ever released......

YouTube - ??????????? ???? - Pudhu Seruppu kadikkum (1978)

"ஒரு வட்டம் கூடி என் ஓர்மைகள் மேயுன்ன திருமுற்றத்து எத்துவான் மோஹம்" - movie - Chillu, Malayalam. (only audio).

Raaga Jukebox

சின்ன சின்ன ஆசை , சிறகடிக்கும் ஆசை - Roja. (Audio).

Raaga Jukebox

Cheers!

This is for those who do not know Malayalam so that they can better appreciate the song and understand the context in which I have compared the two songs சின்ன சின்ன ஆசை and ஒரு வட்டம் கூடி . First I give the Malayalam சாங் and then its meaning in Tamil

The Song

ஒரு வட்டம் கூடி என் ஓர்மைகள் மேயுன்ன
திரு முற்றத்தெத்துவான் மோஹம்.
திரு முற்றத்தொரு கோணில் நில்க்குன்னோரா நெல்லி
மரம் ஒன்னுலுத்துவான் மோஹம்.
அடருன்ன காய் மணிகள் பொழியும்போழ் சென்னேடுத்து
அதிலொன்னு தின்னுவான் மோஹம்.
சுகமெழும் கைப்பும் புளிப்பும் மதுரவும்
நுகருவான் இப்போழும் மோஹம்.
தொடியிலே கிணர் வெள்ளம் கோரிக்குடிச்சு
"எந்து மதுரம்! " என்னோதுவான் மோஹம் .....ஆ ஆ ஆ .......

ஒருவட்டம் கூடி ஆ புழயுடே தீரத்து
வெறுதே இரிக்குவான் மோஹம்.
வெறுதே இருந்தொரு குயிலிண்டேபாட்டு கேட்டு
எதிர் பாட்டு பாடுவான் மோஹம்.
அதுகேளகே உச்சத்தில் கூகும்
குயிலிண்டே சுருதி பின்துடருவான் மோஹம்.
ஒடுவில் பிணங்கி பறந்து போகும் பக்ஷியோடு
அருதே என்னோதுவான் மோஹம்.

வெறுதே ஈ மோகங்கள் என்னறியும்போழும்
வெறுதே மோஹிக்குவான் மோஹம்.

The மீனிங்

ஒருமுறை கூட என் நினைவுகள் சென்று மேய்கின்ற அந்த பழைய வீட்டின் திரு முற்றத்துக்கு செல்ல ஆசை. அந்த முற்றத்தின் ஒரு மூலையில் நிற்கின்ற அந்த நெல்லி மரத்தை பிடித்து உலுப்ப ஆசை.
கொத்து கொத்தாக காய் மணிகள் பொழியும் போது அதிலொன்றை எடுத்து தின்ன ஆசை. கைப்பும் துவர்ப்பும் புளிப்பும் தித்திப்பும் ஒரு சேர அனுபவிக்க இப்போதும் ஆசை தான். அங்கிருக்கும் கிணற்று நீரை கோரி எடுத்து குடித்து உடனே "என்ன தித்திப்பு! என்ன தித்திப்பு!!" என்று வாய் விட்டு கூவிட ஆசை.

ஒரு தடவை கூட அந்த வாய்க்காலின் கரையில் சும்மா உட்கார்ந்திருக்க ஆசை. அப்படி சும்மா இருந்து அங்கொரு குயிலின் பாட்டுக்கு எதிர் பாட்டு பாட ஆசை. என் எதிர் பாட்டு கேட்டு உச்சத்தில் விடாது கூவும் அந்த குயிலின் ஸ்ருதியை பின்தொடர்ந்து மீண்டும் மீண்டும் கூவ ஆசை. முடிவில் என்னோடு பிணங்கி பறந்து போய்விடும் அந்த பறவையிடம் போகாதே என்று வேண்டிட ஆசை தான்.

இந்த ஆசைகள் எல்லாம் வெறும் ஆசைகள் தான் என்றறிந்தும் இப்படி ஆசைப்பட்டிட எனக்கு மிக ஆசை தான்.

Last edited:
mere mentioning the song won't do; kindly write a synopsis as to why that song appealed to you some of the lyrics and the details of the film song -composer, music drector , which part of the lyrics appealrd who sang them etc may be mentioned so as to get a fllpicture of the item mentione

mere mentioning the song won't do; kindly write a synopsis as to why that song appealed to you some of the lyrics and the details of the film song -composer, music drector , which part of the lyrics appealrd who sang them etc may be mentioned so as to get a fllpicture of the item mentione

tnk, great idea. i think i can do only one song at a time which is a favourite of this day.

having seen endhiaran a few days ago, i cannot get this song hum off my head - kadhal anukkal.

it starts of with a great guitar string beat by rajani and goes on into great open scenery.

the start is smooth, but the song picks up the tempo when shreya ghosal picks up the female piece.

not sure if i can call it the pallavi part, but 'ho baby ho baby senthanil wasabi' - is a great comparison...i love wasabi, which is hot tasting japanese root, and to address ayesh as the southern hot one, is not only novel, but a very amusing comparison indeed.

the part 'pattaam poochi' where he compare how the butterfly senses taste through its legs, and humans through eyes...all done to catchy beats. one cannot help tapping our legs, or moving to the beat...

just a great song.

here is a url which gives the song authors, music and lyrics details. if you have not already, ENJOY IT as soon as you are able to.

Musings of a Wandering Witty Guy from Chennai: Lyrics of Kadhal Anukkal from Enthiran

it is too early, but i am quite sure, if we wait a month or so, the film clips of this song will be available in youtube. athis point, only the song could be heard, and not the film clip.

YouTube - [HQ] Endhiran Song - Kadhal Anukkal With Lyrics (A. R. Rahman)

ramanujan,

there are free software, which help you to record the song, while it is played in the computer. i myself got one called 'total recorder' but i paid for it. but there are free ones too. just look around...

ramanujan,

there are free software, which help you to record the song, while it is played in the computer. i myself got one called 'total recorder' but i paid for it. but there are free ones too. just look around...

Audacity is an opensource solution, i.e. it is free. It is an excellent sound editor.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back