• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What's Your Favorite Tamil Song?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dostu Dostu is from Sangam

Dear Sri Bro LQ Ji,

I wish I have studied Urdu and Hindi in my days. I have cut enough classes during my college days to go see the Hindi movies that I did not understand, but loved the music without understanding the meaning. (When I met my current wife, I sang her the 'Dosthu, Dosthu Naraga' song from the movie Guide, thinking that it was a romantic, friendly song!) Thank God she did not hold it against me! (but she does in a lots of other areas).

I love the old Tamil movie songs, 'Binaca' Hindi songsin the late 60s and early 70s, Jazz (Miles Davis is the standard), the western classical (have you heard Tchaikovsky's 'Pathetique'?), the oldies in pop (Frank Sinatra, Streisand, etc.), North Indian classical (the Pandits) and of course my South Indian classical with M.S., GNB, Vasantha Kumari, Ariyakkudi, Semmangudi and the best of all of them - Madurai Mani.

I love both Thodi and Kalyani. They take me to a place where I find the magic.

Pranams,
KRS

Hi KRS,
That was funny. It also reminds me of the Sholay joke from the Boyz movie.
Dostu is from Sangam, and Raj Kapoor is simply superb. Actually, all songs in Sangam are simply superb. "Yeh mera prem patra padkar", or "Mehbooba" could have been a better choice.

Guide is an excellent movie. SD Burmans "Wahan koun hai thera" still rings in my ears.

Shailendra/Hasrat and Shankar-Jaikishan songs and songs composed by SD Burman are evergreen.
With regards,
Kudumi.

SNRajan,
I was saying about a K.Bhagyaraj movie in which his friend would be learning Hindi to impress Radhika from her father, a Hindi Pandit.
The Pandit would be teaching "Ek gaon mein ek kisaan rehtha thaa" and the boy would be saying "E gaon mein e kisaan ragu thatha".
Reg "Rehna hai there dil mein" , I would have seen it 10 to 15 times. Its the remake of Tamil "Minnale". The music by Harris was great in spite of the fact that he imitates AR Rehman.
I asked about your place because Shivaji is the hot topic now in TN and people from 5 to 50 are eagerly waiting for its release. I wondered how you didnt know that.

Shivaji-the latest news?

Dear Kothai ji
The bagyaraj movie you mentioned is 'indru poi nallai vaa'. Such a hilarious comedy, isn't it? I live in Melbourne. So update me with the latest news about 'Shivaji', please.

Nandriyudan
Bagya

'Sangam' was a super hit during our college days. Good songs were not the only reasons for the movie becoming a hit ! Showman Raj Kapoor started the tide of bold scenes (vaijayanti mala bali in the pool) which he continued in many other movies including 'Bobby', "Mera Naam Joker" etc.

As far as the songs go, my favourite song from 'Guide' happens to be 'Kaanton se kheench ke yeh aanchal, tod de bandhan baandh le payal....."

Though my favourite songs span from late '40 to current songs, one particular song which rings sweet bells in the ears happens to be by Hemant Kumar :

"..Tum pukaar lo, tumhara intezaar hai...Honth pe liye huey, dil ki baat hum, jaagte rahenge aur, kitni raat hum, ...mukhtasar si baat hai...tum se pyaar hai..."

Hi KRS,
That was funny. It also reminds me of the Sholay joke from the Boyz movie.
Dostu is from Sangam, and Raj Kapoor is simply superb. Actually, all songs in Sangam are simply superb. "Yeh mera prem patra padkar", or "Mehbooba" could have been a better choice.

Guide is an excellent movie. SD Burmans "Wahan koun hai thera" still rings in my ears.

Shailendra/Hasrat and Shankar-Jaikishan songs and songs composed by SD Burman are evergreen.
With regards,
Kudumi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rtgm

Showman Raj Kapoor started the tide of bold scenes (vaijayanti mala bali in the pool) which he continued in many other movies including 'Bobby', "Mera Naam Joker" etc.

And it sort of reached it's pinnacle in "Ram Teri Ganga Maili"

Not only did ganga become maili, woh tho bahut sare dilon ko bhi maili karke chodi, kya bolte ho LQ sahab ?

And this trend of "bold" scenes has continued in Indian cinema growing to be bolder & knocking at the doors of "boldest".

Afterthought : Thought apt to share in this reply,

Easily about 10-12 years ago, i was watching DD Tamil channel quiz program. There was a section where the kids were asked to identify a word with a "tactical clue", not a straightforward one.

Quiz master : "Kani yile uyarndha kani yedhu ?" (Kani - Fruit in tamil; question was - Which is the highest among fruits ?)

Kid : <Thinking>

QM : "Usually found in all houses"

Kid : <Thinking>

QM : Repeats "Kani yile uyarndha kani yedhu ?"

Kid : In a flash of brilliance says "Manda-"kani" !!!!! (May be kid was thinking about the mandakani calendars !!!)

QM : "Err...Errr..." Cough ! Cough !! Cough !!!

Well the answer was "Balcony" or "Bal-Kani" !!!!!!

Annikki dhan "kali muthiduthu" nu naan therinjinden !!!!

KRS Sir,
Pranams. Your "Dosthu dosthu na raga" got me reminded of "Ragu Thatha" from one of K.Bhagyaraj movies(Edhir veettu jannal?)
Can you pick out any movie songs on Thodi and Kalyani for me?
The only raagas I can identify are Anandha Bhairavi, Hamsanandi and Sahana(thanks to K.Balachandar)

Sorry, Sri Kothai Ji,

I left India in the late 60's and I have not followed up with the movie songs after that. If I remember right, the movie 'Navarathri' with Shivaji Ganesan had songs, with those ragas as the foundation.

Pranams,
KRS

Kothaiji

My favorite IsaiGnani has composed many scintillating songs in Kalyani.

"Janani Janani" is a very good example. Another interesting song would be
"Kalaivaniye" in Sindhu Bairavi. That song is supposedly set only to "Aarohanam" notes only. Only IR can think of something like that.

Thodi is closely related to SindhuBhairavi. I dont know many cine songs in Thodi although there are 1000s in Sindhu Bhairavi. In fact, you will find that Sindhu Bhairavi is one of the most used ragas for cine songs. Anyway, IR has composed a good song in Thodi,

"Gangai Karai Mannanadi" in the movie Varusham 16.

Hope this helps.

Ramki
Sorry, Sri Kothai Ji,

I left India in the late 60's and I have not followed up with the movie songs after that. If I remember right, the movie 'Navarathri' with Shivaji Ganesan had songs, with those ragas as the foundation.

Pranams,
KRS

Some more songs on Kalyani

Thanks Ramkiji.
I could also find some more hit songs on Kalyani by IR.
(not using my skill, but using Internet (http://www.geocities.com/ilaiyaragam/index.html)
1.Amma Enrazhaikkatha from Mannan
2.Kaatril Varum Geedhamae from Oru Naal Oru Kanavu(latest hit melody)
3.Nadhiyil Aadum from Kaadhal Oviyam
4. Nirpathuve Nadapathuve from Bharathi
5.Sundari Kannal Oru Seidhi from Thalabadhi
6.Vandhal Mahalaxmiye from Uyarndha Ullam
7.Vellai Pura Ondru from Pudhu Kavidhai
All beautiful songs.
IR has used Sindhubhairavi, Kalyani, Shankarabharanam, Sudhadhanyasi, Natabhairavi, Mohanam, Mayamalavagowlai, Keeravani, and Madyamavathi extensively.

Hi Guys!
Talking about the raga 'Thodi', my paati used to tell us stories about the raga's greatness. Yes, we are Thanjavurians and naturally carnatic-music minded!! (a little bragging!). She used to tell us a story about a 'vidvan' who was in financial dire and went to a small Raja for loan. The Raja promised to give him money on the condition that the vidvan couldn't sing the raga 'Thodi' anywhere except at the Raja's darbar.

I am in Chennai and am still trying to locate a cd by the Nathaswaram great Rajaratna Pillai on his alapanam in Thodi.
Can anyone help?

Hi to everyone...

Have been lurking here for a few weeks now and thought I will make an entry through this thread.
I stopped listening to Tamil film music during the late 80's. It seemed like the tunes and lyrics had taken back seat to the beats and pretty much anyone could sing songs. However during the past 3 years have started listening to film music and discovered a new facet to it. Am eagerly catching up on so many songs now. Perhaps this is how our elders felt when we were growing up with film music and they used to long for Sri MKT Bhagavathar, KBS songs etc.,

One of my favorite songs (kinda old but new to me) is:
"ooru sanam thoongiruchchu oodhak kaaththum adichchiruchchu" from the movie "mella thirandadu kadavu". The lyrics, settings and the music is enchanting.

Thank you, Sir!

Thank you very much, Sri NR Ranganathan; I will check these out. I will also contact you for further guidance.

Dear Mr. Silverfox,

Sir, You can visist the site www.rasikas.org and the members will be
pleased to upload your requirements.

There is another site where the intricacies of Todi raga are discussed
in detail which you will find exhilarating :

http://www.carnatica.net/special/raganubhava-todi-ppn.htm

If you need anything further, please do contact me.

How could one miss such songs?

The songs listed in the mails, indeed, excellent ones.
At least, once listen to the following two songs:

1. S.P. B's voice in the film "Thambikku entha ooru?
Song: (kaadalin deepam ondru, ettrinaaley en nenjil......)

(you see, how Rajnikanth looks superbly handsome and
Madavi in stunningly attractive; the scenic beauty of
Wellington in Ooty is beautiful at the background; and,
Illya Raja memmerises you with his tune:

perhaps, try the follwing:
a) watch it with your spouse, and see the psychological
impact it makes in you?

b) those stay away from 'spouse', see the soothing impact
it has in you about your spouse?

Song 2.
Yesudas's voice in film?????? .......? (in Illayaraja's music)

Song: " Poove sempoove poongavanam,
Vaai pesidum pullangulal,
Neethan oru poovin madal"

thanks,
balaiyer

Last edited:
What's your Favourite Tamil Song

Hi All,

i m a new member of this site, First of all , i would like to thank to the moderator for maintaing such a wonderful site. This site is making me to understand all the intellectuals view of the various topic discussed on board.

As this is my first post, i would like to share with the following link, which is one stop solution for music lovers. Here you can find all Music directors song list and also DEVOTIONAL Songs. This Site is specifically for TAMIL Music Lovers.

http://www.bsongs.in/bfront/bfront.aspx#

Hope this site may be found useful for d ppl who r staying away from India. :)

Warm Regards

Balaji
Native of Dharmapuri (TN), Currently in Mumbai.

What's your fav Tamil Song?

Hi all,

I am new member of this forum, first of all i would like to thank the moderator for provoiding a gr8 platform for discussing the plight of our community. Thanks for your great service.

As this is my first i would like to share the link which i come across (one stop solution for all the tamil songs music lovers both Devotional / Cinema).

http://www.bsongs.in/bfront/bfront.aspx#

Hope this link will be helpful to u all.

Regards

Balaji.S

Increase upload file size limit for zip files

I can upload some of my favourite hindi songs in zip format if you increase the limit for upload size for zip files from currently at 97.8 KB to 2 MB.

What's your favourite.......

Sir:

Are the songs old, say by K.L.Saigal, C.H.Atma, K.C.Dey and others ?
I do not know what collections you have . Songs from Devdas, Street
singer, Badi bahen, Ratan, Shah jehan, Anmol gadi, Anarkali, Albela,
Baiju bawra, Taxi driver are all moving melodies - immortal melodies
from mortal men !

Wow ! Partner, hamen pata nahin tha ki aap bhi purane naghmon mein dilchaspi rakhte hain ! Quite uncharacteristic of hardcore tambam !!

My peference for Hindi songs spans the decades 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and few songs of 90s. Most Ghazals and some quawwalis are also worth relishing.

Recent songs (2000 AD onwards ) do not impress me much.

You can find many songs of all era in www.esnips.com

Some Paki sites also host collection of bollywood songs, though you got to be watchful of viruses while downloading from such sites.

Yes, I do have odd songs from the movies listed by you on my Ipod. How could you forget to mention Pakeezah and Mughl E Azam ? Teesri Manzil, Chupke Chupke, Aradhana ?? Songs from the movies of Gurudatt, Dev Anand ???

Sir:

Are the songs old, say by K.L.Saigal, C.H.Atma, K.C.Dey and others ?
I do not know what collections you have . Songs from Devdas, Street
singer, Badi bahen, Ratan, Shah jehan, Anmol gadi, Anarkali, Albela,
Baiju bawra, Taxi driver are all moving melodies - immortal melodies
from mortal men !

Whats is your favourite...

Dear friend,
I can give you a long list - andaz, aah,barsaat,cincinnati bubbla boo ( have
you heard this name ), footpath, paying guest, chori chori, bhai bhai,
sri 420, chalti ka nam gadi, mirza ghalib, awara, babul and so many....
And the artists like zorabhai ambalawali, amirbhai karnataki, noorjehan,
suraiya ..... Vintage stuff !

Boss, maan gaye! Aap to is field ke bhahut purane khiladi hain !

What's your favourite....

Dear friend,

Aur abhi kya haalat dekh liyaji .. Remember this: " dekh tere sansar ka
haalat kya ho gaya bhagwan/ kitna badal gaya insaan " ( from Nastik,
music by C.Ramachandra. )

Of course, we had some songs, like for instance, ' laara lappa ', but
a total charm is still oozing out of this tune. Is it not ?

Last edited:
Wah Kya baat hai

Some "Paki sites" also host collection of bollywood songs, though you got to be watchful of "viruses" while downloading from such sites.

LQ,

What else can you expect from 'em ?

Well it is interesting to see the enthusiasm you and Sri Ranganathan share for the golden oldies.

In this era of "mind blowing mahiaaa" and "Jab we met", this is almost nostalgic.

If you wouldnt mind my telling, today, the best music happens in Tamil. Most of the current hindi stuff is 'Hinglish' or involves high octave nasal crooning of Himesh (yemaiyaa) Reshamaiyyaa.

Another good site to download songs, www.cooltoad.com/go/music

Dear Hari,

What you have hinted is something which has caused concern to many others as well - cultural dominance of small screen as well as big screen in India by the Panjabis.

Up to 70s, hindi film songs, dialogues etc were written by accomplished urdu writers, poets etc and they used sophisticated, polished language to convey the feelings and emotions in a rich way.

From 90s onwards, language has either become more sanskritised or got mixed with hinglish-punjabish , the quality of songs and dialogues have nose-dived and panjabi culture has edged out Moghal/Urdu culture to the sidelines. Now, every other movie has (panjabi) wedding scenes, unabashed display of wealth (by lead characters who would be typically a panjabi family), some bum shaking gyrations and little for intellectual delight.

Woh zamana tha ...."Waqt Ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam, Tum Rahe Na Hum Hum Rahen Na Hum....(by inimitable Geeta Dutt).." jaise 24-carat gold ka, aajkal ka zamana hai ..."Soniye, Maahiye, Main Raste pe Ja Raha Tha, Bhelpuri Kha Raha Tha......." jaise 3 rd rate dishouts ka.......

Now, the oldtimers sometimes feel like singing "....jab dil hi toot gaya, ab jeeke kya karenge.....(by legendary K.L.Sehgal)..."

In this era of "mind blowing mahiaaa" and "Jab we met", this is almost nostalgic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back