• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What's in "Aarakshan"?: Is Reservation Debate Resuming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sir you are mistaken. Communities are indeed considered socially backward based on certain reasons. Various commission reports are available on the net. You can look up Nara sir's old posts on this also.

I am not disputing the use of caste as a criteria for social backwardness. The point is whether one can provide reservation in educational institutions and/ or jobs ONLY based on social backwardness. That is the bone of contention here. The constitution does not allow it. It has to be based on many parameters including social, educational, and economic backwardness. The fact that this is not being followed is what makes this system discriminatory.

கால பைரவன் said:
Reservation to OBCs cannot be provided solely based on caste.
Here you are using the term OBC to refer to 'shudras'?

What I am saying is that a community cannot be classified as OBC (for the purposes of reservation) ONLY based on caste!

So what other options are left? Please put yourself in the shoes of a dalit, someone who is continuoulsy shamed for his caste. Then please tell me what options are possible..

If it is not clear to you, I am not calling for abolishing the reservation system. I am pointing out the anomalies in the system and I am calling for fixing it so that the really backward (as defined by social, educational and economic parameters) can benefit.

My arguments are related mainly to OBC reservation. In states like TN, dalits are actually getting the short end of the stick. This is because the quantum of reservation and opportunities for a section should be based on the extent of backwardness and NOT based on population percentage. Unfortunately, dalits are kept out of 50% of seats. In every which way, the reservation system has been abused to benefit a few communities classified as OBC and minorities (christians and muslims).

Last edited:
The Reservation Policy of the Govt must be Reviewed. It doesn't Mean that I am against Reservation.

At the time of Implementing Reservation, Dr B.R.Ambedkar wrote The Necessity of Reservation for a Period of 10 years.

For want of Vote the Cong Govt extended it so long,up to 65 years of Independence.

At least Creamy Layers can be considered as Forward Caste.

For example if a Ordinary Man from Goundar Community competes with a man from Pollachi Mahalingam family,who will get Admission?

Naturally the Guy from Mahalingam Family will enjoy the BC Quota.

The Purpose of Reservation become No Meaning at all. Reservation Policy is introduced only to up lift people and not to Divide People.

கால பைரவன்;93143 said:
I am not disputing the use of caste as a criteria for social backwardness. The point is whether one can provide reservation in educational institutions and/ or jobs ONLY based on social backwardness. That is the bone of contention here. The constitution does not allow it. It has to be based on many parameters including social, educational, and economic backwardness. The fact that this is not being followed is what makes this system discriminatory.

What I am saying is that a community cannot be classified as OBC (for the purposes of reservation) ONLY based on caste!

If it is not clear to you, I am not calling for abolishing the reservation system. I am pointing out the anomalies in the system and I am calling for fixing it so that the really backward (as defined by social, educational and economic parameters) can benefit.

My arguments are related mainly to OBC reservation. In states like TN, dalits are actually getting the short end of the stick. This is because the quantum of reservation and opportunities for a section should be based on the extent of backwardness and NOT based on population percentage. Unfortunately, dalits are kept out of 50% of seats. In every which way, the reservation system has been abused to benefit a few communities classified as OBC and minorities (christians and muslims).
Ofcourse sir social backwardness is not the only criteria on which reservations are based. For quite sometime caste-based census has been taken only for SCs and STs (the 2011 census will be doing a caste wise job for everyone but that is not yet completed). But ofcourse when it comes to instituting commissions, then each state does a caste-based review for everyone, taking various indicators of economic, educational, social factors into consideration for each caste.

Anyways, as an example, for SCs and STs please have a look at the 2001 census - Census of India - Tables on Individual Scheduled Castes (SC) and Scheduled Tribes (ST)

As you can note, various factors are taken into consideration - such as places of dwelling (rural / urban), current literacy rate, occupation involved in (cultivators, household workers, etc), age wise demographics of number of people below age of 6 years old...

District wise enumeration is also taken for such info. Here is an example taken in 2005-2006 for SCs and STs in chennai district - http://www.chennai.tn.nic.in/shb-pdf/SHB001 - AREA POPULATION.pdf (do note most of them are hindus).

Such district-wise enumeration helps to decide who is backward in which districts (when it comes to commission finding which is based on caste, am told this is the reason why you find that some communities (like kallars and kudimbis) are categorized as forward in some districts but backward in other districts).

Our governemnts are not so foolish to classify any community as BC / MBC / OBC merely for social backwardness only. Take the Kallars for example. Some were land-owners. But the majority are / were farmers -- what was their literacy level. So ofcourse they wud be considered educationally and economically backward.

Only of late you see this tremendous rise of the "middle class" which is growing in size mainly due to education empowerment. But in rural areas still a lot needs to be done. These people do require reservations based on caste -- which is merely their occupational status.

As regards your allegations that dalits are not getting enuf, and are kept out of the 50% reservations, etc, i feel perhaps you have not looked into the scenario well. Please allow me to explain.

According to the 2001 census, 19% of the population in Tamilnadu comes under SC category [Refer: http://censusindia.gov.in/Tables_Published/SCST/dh_sc_tamilnadu.pdf - from this file you can also see that the total population of STs is very less - just 7.1 % of the total population of India. Also note literary rate, work participation rate, etc which can serve as parameters for measuring backwardness ]

For Tamilnadu the total poulation of STs as against the total population of STs all over India is just 0.77 % [Refer: http://tribal.gov.in/writereaddata/mainlinkFile/File891.pdf ]. The overall ST population of tamilnadu is 1.04 % [Refer: http://tribal.gov.in/writereaddata/mainlinkFile/File894.pdf]

You can also see which are the ST communities of Tamil Nadu - http://tribal.gov.in/writereaddata/mainlinkFile/File1066.pdf (if interested for different kinds of info and statistics on STs you can refer to the website http://tribal.gov.in )

In Tamilnadu the number of SCs (19%) and STs (1.04%) are very less indeed (as such number of tribes are low in south-dravidian speaking areas).. IMO this is consistent with the contended historical basis that dravidian speakers absorbed the austroasiatic tribes into themselves.

The reservation quota stands like this:

1) In India 50% are reserved seats distributed amongst OBC – 27.5%, SC – 15% and ST – 7.5%.

2) In Tamilnadu 69% are reserved seats, and this is distributed as BC -30%, MBC – 20%, SC - 18% (in which 3% is reserved exclusively for the Arundhathiyars) and ST – 1%.

Considering the low population of SCs and STs in Tamilnadu, naturally it is approriate to allocate 18% and 1% reserved seats to SCs and STs respectively. And ofcourse all allocations take the extent of backwardness into consideration.

The Arundhatiyars who are socially considered the lowest of dalits (dalits among dalits) is a special case in example. You can read about their case for inner reservations here - ATP ACHIEVEMENTS - INNER RESERVATION FOR ARUNTHATHIYARS . Please note point 7 in this page - http://www.aathithamizharperavai.com/Objectives.html (what do you feel about it sir ?)

Regards.

Last edited:
The Reservation Policy of the Govt must be Reviewed. It doesn't Mean that I am against Reservation.

At the time of Implementing Reservation, Dr B.R.Ambedkar wrote The Necessity of Reservation for a Period of 10 years.

For want of Vote the Cong Govt extended it so long,up to 65 years of Independence.

At least Creamy Layers can be considered as Forward Caste.

For example if a Ordinary Man from Goundar Community competes with a man from Pollachi Mahalingam family,who will get Admission?

Naturally the Guy from Mahalingam Family will enjoy the BC Quota.

The Purpose of Reservation become No Meaning at all. Reservation Policy is introduced only to up lift people and not to Divide People.
With all due respect to you as a BJP functionary, not just congress, even if BJP comes to power, they will have to continue reservations. Am very sorry to say but your understanding of Gounder versus Mahalimgam family seems baseless. Ambedkar's idea of 10 years was ill-founded. Definitely 10 years is not enuf to make the starting-line of competition equal for everyone in a country like India where caste divisiveness runs deep. IMO unless a 'dalit' and/or an 'OBC' stops being shamed for his caste, reservations will continue.

Dear Mr. Sankar Narayan,

1. All political parties will have to continue reservation in India because they survive on that. What is good for society does not matter. Political survival is more important.

2. "Your understanding of Gounder versus Mahalingam family seems baseless" -- because I feel that way. Dont expect me to give you reasons why I feel that way.

3. "Ambedkar's idea of 10 year for reservation was ill-founded. He should have proposed reservation for ever. Don't ask me what is the basis of this statement of me. It is just that I feel it that way. I know more than Ambedkar you see.

4. "Even if it takes another 100 years for a 'dalit' and/or an 'OBC' not to feel ashamed for his caste, reservations will have to continue". And yes,though this is least important for the champions of reservation, I would demand it on behalf of 'dalits'- Even if it takes another thousand more years for a 'dalit' not to feel ashamed for his caste due to the harassment he receives in the hands of an "OBC" member , the reservations for 'dalits' alone should continue till then. Long live Reservation. Jai Hind!

Dear Mr. Sankar Narayan,

1. All political parties will have to continue reservation in India because they survive on that. What is good for society does not matter. Political survival is more important.

2. "Your understanding of Gounder versus Mahalingam family seems baseless" -- because I feel that way. Dont expect me to give you reasons why I feel that way.

3. "Ambedkar's idea of 10 year for reservation was ill-founded. He should have proposed reservation for ever. Don't ask me what is the basis of this statement of me. It is just that I feel it that way. I know more than Ambedkar you see.

4. "Even if it takes another 100 years for a 'dalit' and/or an 'OBC' not to feel ashamed for his caste, reservations will have to continue". And yes,though this is least important for the champions of reservation, I would demand it on behalf of 'dalits'- Even if it takes another thousand more years for a 'dalit' not to feel ashamed for his caste due to the harassment he receives in the hands of an "OBC" member , the reservations for 'dalits' alone should continue till then. Long live Reservation. Jai Hind!

How long should the Reservation / Quota System be alive in India?

In all the discussions of the current topic, many people ask me this fundamental question.

I search for a simple answer... I jog my memory of the history lessons that I learnt during schools and college... and, now via Internet.

History lessons tell me that the Oppressive Pyramidal Hierarchy (based on just "by birth" criterion) existed at least since time times of Adi Sankara / Ramanuja (850 CE to 1100 CE), while some say at least for the past 500 years.

That is, the people at the Top of the Pyramid have been enjoying the fruits for at least 500 years all at the expense of the Bottom of the Pyramid, I conclude.

Then, is it fair to say that People at the Bottom of the Pyramid should have the "Reservation / Quota" Remedy for at least 500 years of Independence?

I dare to say that the Constitutional Remedy must continue till ALL the First Generation kids of these Oppressed Class (whose parents did not go to College) go to college and graduate.

How long will that take?

Keep analyzing, please.

Stay tuned.

"S" I too agree.But there must be a Control in Reservation Policy.Creamy Layer must be Considered as Forward Caste.

Otherwise These Creamy Layer will be enjoying the Fruits and never allow The New SC/ST/BC/MBC people to harvest the Fruits in The Reservation Policy of The Govt.

If so after some stage all the Oppressed People would have availed the Fruit and Enjoy the Reservation Policy in Full.

Shri Yamaka and Shri Shankara Narayan have both touched upon something that everybody has been asking -- reservations for how long? and why is creamy layer not removed?

IMO those who are well off do not like being called backward class. They wud like to be called forward caste. Given a choice even today they prefer the position of a forward caste.

IMO these people have always liked to be called Forward classes. Just that they 'lost' the varna fights of colonial period, and brahmins suceeded in bracketing such NBs as shudras, who thence resorted to backward classes reservations.

Also, am very sorry to say this but i suppose it has to be said -- unfortunately, in south india, the tamil brahmins were at the forefront of such varna labelling in general social life. More specifically it seems the iyers were the most vocal in the public scene (there is no evidence of a single iyengar going public with assigning varnas to people).

In the telugu domains except the niyogi versus komati fight there is no evidence of telugu brahmins assigning varnas either - on the contrary, the telugu vaidikis went against the niyogi mahajans and fully supported the komatis.

Generally (atleast so far) am not able to find evidence of brahmins in the telugu, kannada, tulu, konkani, speaking domains ever involving in socially putting down people on the basis of varna. None of these took the trouble to allocate varnas in the public social scale. [Please note concepts of following aacharam, madi, theetu, etc in terms of pollution after childbirth, death, etc are all tribal concepts followed even amongst primitive tribes in africa; and brahmins are NOT responsible for making them -- here am specifically talking ONLY about putting down people thru varna allocations and not about culture].

So why did this specific problem with the iyer group happen...it appear to me that there is an inherant guidance problem which has also led some people to beleive that hindusim cannot exist without caste (and that too by birth).

I was recently reading an intersting book titled "Politics and Social Conflict in South India" where in i chanced upon someone named JH Nelson who worked in Madurai as a District Officer. This particular man was very outspoken in questioning the basis of assigning shudra varna to vellalars, kammas, reddis, etc (Nelson found the shudra term both inapplicable and offensive ). Hostility between the well-off NBs and TBs grew in the beginning of the 20th century which before then was non-existent. Whatever happened was an unfortunate outcome which we need not go back again into.

But when we talk about eradicating reservations, our talk wud need to address the question -- can hindusim exist without the caste system. My answer is a resounding yes. I do not understand why is existence of caste system consisdered vital to the survival of hinduism. But will the orthodox people agree? This is a million dollar question..

Regards.

Last edited:
As regards your allegations that dalits are not getting enuf, and are kept out of the 50% reservations, etc, i feel perhaps you have not looked into the scenario well. Please allow me to explain.

Considering the low population of SCs and STs in Tamilnadu, naturally it is approriate to allocate 18% and 1% reserved seats to SCs and STs respectively. And ofcourse all allocations take the extent of backwardness into consideration.

I am not sure whether HH read this part of my post at all...

கால பைரவன் said:
In states like TN, dalits are actually getting the short end of the stick. This is because the quantum of reservation and opportunities for a section should be based on the extent of backwardness and NOT based on population percentage. Unfortunately, dalits are kept out of 50% of seats.

Reservation is meant to remove backwardness. It was not meant as a tool to enforce proportional representation.

If proportional representation were the objective, why care about defining and identifying a group called OBCs? One can, as well, abolish all open quota and provide reservation to each caste based on population percentage. Only issue is that it will be unconstitutional. [The GOs that you cited earlier were stuck down precisely for this reason.]

Therefore, one cannot say that the percentage of seats reserved should be equal to population percentage. The population percentage can be used as one of the factors in deciding the quantum of reservation. Extent of backwardness, I think, should be a more important factor.

Because dalits were the worst affected of the lot, they should be given the maximum opportunities. Giving them 18% reservation but taking away 50% of the seats (which are subsequently reserved for OBCs) from them is unjust. This, I see, as one of the fundamental flaws in implementation of reservation system. Political parties have cleverly manipulated the reservation scheme to benefit OBCs by creating exclusive reservation to them. If you cannot understand or appreciate this point, consider this: dalits being made ineligible to compete for the 50% seats reserved to OBCs is akin to non-FCs being made ineligible to compete for open quota seats. Can that be considered fair?

If the caste system is considered hierarchical, so should the remedy be. Apart from a percentage of seats reserved to them, the dalits should be eligible for competing for all the rest of the seats. The MBCs should be kept only out of seats reserved for dalits - so on and so forth. That would be a fair system. Is this system workable in TN? I do not think so. The OBCs will oppose it tooth and nail, because it eats into their opportunities. That is why I consider it hypocritical for them to be critical of those FCs, who oppose reservation.

Last edited:
District wise enumeration is also taken for such info. Here is an example taken in 2005-2006 for SCs and STs in chennai district - http://www.chennai.tn.nic.in/shb-pdf/SHB001 - AREA POPULATION.pdf (do note most of them are hindus).

Such district-wise enumeration helps to decide who is backward in which districts (when it comes to commission finding which is based on caste, am told this is the reason why you find that some communities (like kallars and kudimbis) are categorized as forward in some districts but backward in other districts).

Our governemnts are not so foolish to classify any community as BC / MBC / OBC merely for social backwardness only. Take the Kallars for example. Some were land-owners. But the majority are / were farmers -- what was their literacy level. So ofcourse they wud be considered educationally and economically backward.

Dear HH, I do not disagree that there are many communities in TN that will satisfy the NCBC criteria. The classification may be correct in a large number of cases, but it only takes a few communities to be wrongly classified to compromise the entire group. Removing those anomalies and/or excluding creamy layer will go a long way in taking the benefits to the really backward people. The dravidian parties are not interested in it because they don't care two hoots about social justice. Their aim is marginalization of brahmins, which they have achieved through this system. Unfortunately, other states are also following suit as seen by the steady increase in the number of backward class communities over the years.

கால பைரவன்;93517 said:
I am not sure whether HH read this part of my post at all...
Rest assured am reading your posts on this particular thread carefully..

Reservation is meant to remove backwardness. It was not meant as a tool to enforce proportional representation.
Proportional representation is a tool to remove backwardness. If the percentage of SCs is 16%, there is no point in giving them 2% reservation or 50% reservation. The amount of seats reserved for them must be based on the extent of backwardness (that is, extent of illiteracy, etc) as well as the amount of population.

If proportional representation were the objective, why care about defining and identifying a group called OBCs? One can, as well, abolish all open quota and provide reservation to each caste based on population percentage. Only issue is that it will be unconstitutional. [The GOs that you cited earlier were stuck down precisely for this reason.]
Nope sir, the GOs i cited were not struck down for this reason. I still ask you -- who defined and bracketed groups of people as "backward"? What business did brahmins have to go to courts to allocate shudra varna to the general NB population? And why should GO orders that i cited (which brackets practically everyone into "backward") be acceptable to everyone?

According to the book "Politics and Social Conflict in South India : the non-Brahman movement and Tamil separatism, 1916-1929 " (which is actually a thesis by Eugene Irschick of the Center for South and Southeast Asian Studies of UCal, Berkeley), the landowning groups in the early 20th century were
1) Vellalas in Tamil areas
2) Balija Naidus in both Tamil and Telugu areas
3) Kammas and Reddys in the Telugu areas.

Though there were brahmin landlords, the large scale landowners and erstwhile zamindaris were all non-brahmins. In factory ownership also the NBs were ahead of brahmins according to 1911 census.

The only diference was in jobs under colonial government where literacy skills mattered. In this, the brahmins strongly dominated (according to the 1921 records); and though the komatis, balijas, nairs, vellalas, found representation it was not in high numbers.

In the upper levels of administration, where high literary levels were required, brahmins ruled the roost. However though competition existed between everyone, even during this time there was no caste-based anger between the TBs and NBs.

Even from other books i find that until 1860 there was no evidence of hostility between the wealthy NBs and the TBs. But by the beginnings of 1900s hostility took root and soon became deeply divisive. Why?

Things changed, and caste-based anger surfaced - why? IMO it is canard to suggest that anti-brahminism took root because of jealousy (this has been popularized by quite a few authors). If such jealously did not exist all the way until the 1900s, why should suddenly people become angered against brahmins from around 1910 onwards and why should a movement rooted in anti-brahmanism (justice party) come to exist in 1917 ?

IMO things changed due to the penchant by a select group of TBs to allocate varnas to put people down in the social scenario. The wealthy NBs who practiced casteism themselves against 'dalits' found they were being put into the same social category as 'dalits'. This is where all the anti-brahmin anger starts imo. Hope you read the points by the colonial-period Vellalars.

If a zamindar with considerable social clout were categorized as a shudra (which actually means a slave in the dharmashastras), how would that be acceptable to him? According to JH Nelson, the term earlier was used by brahmins alone in speaking of people who lived in "low" conditions. But now in the last part of the colonial period, this term was being applied to educated and well off people. Would it not anger such people and hurt their social position?

Isn't it comical to think that a group of people were considered socially "low" just because they were considered "ritually low" ?

Sorry sir, "defining and identifying a group" as backward was not done by NBs. The issue became increasingly politicized. The wealthy NBs ended up joining hands with 'dalits' for political purposes.

Politicians began using things as a tool for self-promotion (well, i suppose people thot instead of being ashamed of being a shudra why not take advantage of it). Panagal Raja introduced caste reservations in 1921 in which 16% jobs were reserved for brahmins, 44% for non-brahmins, 16% for muslims and 16% for anglo-indians.

Do note MC Rajah resigned in protest of this, bcoz he thot dalits were not given sufficient representation. Later, EVR came on the reservations scene (after being elected as president of congress committe in 1922). Thereafter its history.

The Communal GO of 1927 provided compartmental reservation for various communities; and from there on the concept of reservations for individual communities (like specifically 'dalits') became the norm.

I feel such categorization should have been declared unconstitutional atleast in independent india..but even after india got independence the penchant of categorizing people as shudras / backward "class" continued in social life...

After independence things only got more and more politicized. Each state started their own commissions to identify "backward" people, and caste was still used as a factor to identify social backwardness. But then some like the Ngana Gowda commitee of Karnataka which based representation in government service on

(1) Social backwardness of caste wrt the hierarchial status
(2) Educational backwardness
(3) Existing proportion of representation in government service.

was stuck down because caste was used as the basis of finding backwardness. Later, factors identifying backwardness became more streamlined with various parameters being taken into account (though caste criteria does still tend to remain). What do you think is the solution for this? What can be done to eradicate caste-based reservations?

Therefore, one cannot say that the percentage of seats reserved should be equal to population percentage. The population percentage can be used as one of the factors in deciding the quantum of reservation. Extent of backwardness, I think, should be a more important factor.
Extent of backwardness and allocation of seats as per population percentage, both must matter.

Because dalits were the worst affected of the lot, they should be given the maximum opportunities. Giving them 18% reservation but taking away 50% of the seats (which are subsequently reserved for OBCs) from them is unjust. This, I see, as one of the fundamental flaws in implementation of reservation system.
Are you saying SCs must be given 50% seats though their population is just 16% ?

Political parties have cleverly manipulated the reservation scheme to benefit OBCs by creating exclusive reservation to them. If you cannot understand or appreciate this point, consider this: dalits being made ineligible to compete for the 50% seats reserved to OBCs is akin to non-FCs being made ineligible to compete for open quota seats. Can that be considered fair?
Again, it sppears you are using the term OBC to refer to shudras (if not, please make yourself clearer). Because there is nothing called OBC in Tamilnadu. As already mentioned in post 28, there are 69% reserved seats, and this is distributed as BC 30%, MBC 20%, SC 18% (in which 3% is reserved exclusively for the Arundhathiyars -- and this proportion takes their population size into account as well) and ST 1%.

On what basis do you claim dalits are being made ineligible to compete for 50% seats allocated for OBCs (which OBCs in which state) ?

If the caste system is considered hierarchical, so should the remedy be. Apart from a percentage of seats reserved to them, the dalits should be eligible for competing for all the rest of the seats. The MBCs should be kept only out of seats reserved for dalits - so on and so forth. That would be a fair system. Is this system workable in TN? I do not think so. The OBCs will oppose it tooth and nail, because it eats into their opportunities. That is why I consider it hypocritical for them to be critical of those FCs, who oppose reservation.
So dalits should be made eligible for competing for the rest of the seats? Nice suggestion. But it will not be acceptable to communities who are no better off than the dalits wrt to literacy and economic conditions. This includes a so-called high caste like kallars who are abjectly poor in places like interior thanjavur, and those who come under "denotified communities": LIST OF BACKWARD CLASSES APPROVED

IMO it will be more feasible to remove creamy layer subject to some conditions (like annual family income, existing education level in the family, etc).

Regards.

Last edited:
கால பைரவன்;93521 said:
Dear HH, I do not disagree that there are many communities in TN that will satisfy the NCBC criteria. The classification may be correct in a large number of cases, but it only takes a few communities to be wrongly classified to compromise the entire group. Removing those anomalies and/or excluding creamy layer will go a long way in taking the benefits to the really backward people. The dravidian parties are not interested in it because they don't care two hoots about social justice. Their aim is marginalization of brahmins, which they have achieved through this system. Unfortunately, other states are also following suit as seen by the steady increase in the number of backward class communities over the years.
Sir i feel you are mistaken in saying that classification takes "only takes a few communities" and then these are "wrongly classified to compromise the entire group". Surely sir, you are not accusing the census enumerators, the IAS officers in charge of census, and the judicial committees which consider various factors while deciding backwardness, etc of cheating...

As regards removal of creamy later why only dravidian parties? Even national parties like BJP could not do anything. Unless the public perceives betterment and equality, for everyone in their 'caste" group, it will be difficult to remove the creamy layer, i feel. But i am in favor of removing creamy layer though. That is the only way reservation benefits can percolate to the needy quick enough.

Regards.

"Reservation" eminently suits all the political parties to garner votes based on their apparent or hidden caste-linked reputation; it also serves the upper crusts of the reserved categories to secure all the benefits of reservation. This "double beneficiary" phenomenon will make it very difficult to put an end to the reservation system in India.

The next possible way to refine the reservation is to exclude the "creamy layer" altogether from the purview of reservation. In a country in which industrialists belonging to the reserved categories having assets worth crores and annual incomes running into several tens of lakhs, manage to get income certificates showing that they are below poverty level :), and get their children admitted to prestigious engineering colleges with low fee payments, how do we expect things to be set right? Such people are very, very influential and they have good contacts at all the levels of the govt. machinery and can get anything done without actually making any payment of bribes (I wonder if the JLP Act will punish such "discretionary" decisions.) that it is very difficult to really ensure that the creamy layer is removed.

Brahmins had been giving their views on all questions relating to Hindu Law during the British rule as Shastris were employed by all the important courts in the Presidencies (including Bombay and Calcutta). Hence brahmins making pronouncements on caste or Varna questions was not confined to the south India only. In those days (of the British rule) the chaturvarnya was ruling and though every other caste wanted to be considered as (included in) one of the dwija varnas, those who mattered were from the very dwija category, they probably resisted increasing the privileged group (just as people who get into a crowded train compartment will, once they get in, try to prevent others struggling to get in.). Today, the privileged categories are those who benefit from reservation and so it is as much natural for them to try their maximum to continue those privileges as long as possible and also to prevent anyone else from getting into that privileged club. But there is one material difference; while under the chaturvarnya, it was the brahmins, a constituent of the privileged classes who had the final say, today it is the elected government which has the final say.

Last edited:
How to get a caste certificate? See the number of inter stage agencies who make the process easy or difficult or costly or irrelevant or a pain all over!

Abolition of castes on paper at least will benefit all.

"Obtain Caste Certificate - How do I: National Portal of India
What You Need to Do to Get a Caste Certificate

The application forms are available either online or from the concerned local office in the City/Town/Village, which is usually the office of the SDM (Sub-Divisional Magistrate) or of the Tehsil or Revenue Department. In case none of your family members have earlier been issued a Caste Certificate, a local enquiry is conducted before issuing the Certificate to you. Proof of residence in your State for a minimum specified period, an affidavit stating that you belong to a Scheduled Caste, and the specified court stamp fee are required at the time of application."

In tamilnadu the process is simplified to benefit the applicant. But a rider; the certificate is not binding on the central and other state government agencies. The tahsildar aided by the local politicians, dadas and you know who decide the applicant's birth based caste. What an irony?

"Procedure

The applicant can make the request to the Tahsildars with or without the recommendation of the Revenue Inspectors/Village Administrative Officers.
The Tahsildar will fix a time when the certificate shall be issued either by him or by the Deputy Tahsildar. However, it may not exceed 15 days for all communities except the Scheduled Tribes. For the Scheduled Tribes, the maximum limit is 30 days."

Last edited:
Even though the people are ready to Throw Away Caste System , The Govt and Politicians will not allow the People to get united,because Only Politicians are inducing the Caste Fight for their survival.

"Reservation" eminently suits all the political parties to garner votes based on their apparent or hidden caste-linked reputation; it also serves the upper crusts of the reserved categories to secure all the benefits of reservation. This "double beneficiary" phenomenon will make it very difficult to put an end to the reservation system in India.
Sir, in the beginning of the 20th century the large scale land owners in madras presidency were vellalars (not even the mukkalathors, who anyways arose from the vellalars), nairs, balijas, kammas and reddys (the komatis, nagarathars, etc were also land owners but not large scale ones).

Of all these the Vellalars benefitted most from reservations. Others also found communal representations in the reservations scenario like Komatis (arya vysya), chettiars, etc. Whereas balijas and reddys get no reservations: LIST OF BACKWARD CLASSES APPROVED So sir some communities did not manage to be "double beneficieries".

The next possible way to refine the reservation is to exclude the "creamy layer" altogether from the purview of reservation. In a country in which industrialists belonging to the reserved categories having assets worth crores and annual incomes running into several tens of lakhs, manage to get income certificates showing that they are below poverty level :), and get their children admitted to prestigious engineering colleges with low fee payments, how do we expect things to be set right? Such people are very, very influential and they have good contacts at all the levels of the govt. machinery and can get anything done without actually making any payment of bribes (I wonder if the JLP Act will punish such "discretionary" decisions.) that it is very difficult to really ensure that the creamy layer is removed.
Sir afaik, rich people used to (and still tend to) send their kids to study overseas (so do middle class people these days).

Brahmins had been giving their views on all questions relating to Hindu Law during the British rule as Shastris were employed by all the important courts in the Presidencies (including Bombay and Calcutta). Hence brahmins making pronouncements on caste or Varna questions was not confined to the south India only. In those days (of the British rule) the chaturvarnya was ruling and though every other caste wanted to be considered as (included in) one of the dwija varnas, those who mattered were from the very dwija category, they probably resisted increasing the privileged group (just as people who get into a crowded train compartment will, once they get in, try to prevent others struggling to get in.).
With due respect, is there any specfic reason why you feel "those who mattered" (which is brahmins?) did not want to crowd the dvija category?

I feel if brahmins really wanted, they could have earned goodwill / benefited by (1) allowing people to sanskritise to dvijas (2) by earning money performing upanaynams for them. If not, they could have made themselves aware of the origins of various social groups, including their own origins, and given a more explanatory view of things.

If the orthodoxy wanted they could have also taken medhatithi's bhasya as reference point which allows people to be considered as dvijas based on occupation alone, and not birth.

I mean, there were ways of accomodating people sir (just like how rajputs were accomodated as dvijas..)...but it was not to be. .

Unfortunately it seems that these colonial-period 'orthodox' shastris brought upon difficulties for everyone...from their pov they were merely upholding dharma (by what means, and to serve what purpose i still cannot understand)...

But today an iyer boy who in all probability has no connection at all with those colonial-period-shastris ends up feeling anger at the injustice that he is left out of the reservations scenario. Yes sir this is injustice to the iyer boy.

Someone even commented 'iyers kept belittling you people in public as shudras, yet dk goons attacked iyengars, what nyayam is this' - i find no words as answers sir...am completely in agreement that such things were/are gross and sheer injustice done to innocent brahmins who had nothing to do with the political-or-colonial-period-shastris..

Regards.

How to get a caste certificate? See the number of inter stage agencies who make the process easy or difficult or costly or irrelevant or a pain all over!

Abolition of castes on paper at least will benefit all.

"Obtain Caste Certificate - How do I: National Portal of India
What You Need to Do to Get a Caste Certificate

The application forms are available either online or from the concerned local office in the City/Town/Village, which is usually the office of the SDM (Sub-Divisional Magistrate) or of the Tehsil or Revenue Department. In case none of your family members have earlier been issued a Caste Certificate, a local enquiry is conducted before issuing the Certificate to you. Proof of residence in your State for a minimum specified period, an affidavit stating that you belong to a Scheduled Caste, and the specified court stamp fee are required at the time of application."

In tamilnadu the process is simplified to benefit the applicant. But a rider; the certificate is not binding on the central and other state government agencies. The tahsildar aided by the local politicians, dadas and you know who decide the applicant's birth based caste. What an irony?

"Procedure

The applicant can make the request to the Tahsildars with or without the recommendation of the Revenue Inspectors/Village Administrative Officers.
The Tahsildar will fix a time when the certificate shall be issued either by him or by the Deputy Tahsildar. However, it may not exceed 15 days for all communities except the Scheduled Tribes. For the Scheduled Tribes, the maximum limit is 30 days."
AFAIK, the tasildar office will give you a BC / MBC certificate if your father has such a certificate. If not, you can produce such a certificate of your paternal grandfather as proof also. In case nobody in your family has a caste certificate it is very-very difficult to get one.

I know of some people who fake sub-caste by claiming that the caste of their deceased paternal grandfather was a different one. Usually such people will have one family member who has married into a BC-listed caste. These things act as proof during enquiry. The process is very cumbersome. Please note am talking of Tamilnadu only.

In Karnataka bribery can help even a brahmin boy to get a SC / ST certificate. But in Tamilnadu i feel getting such a fake SC / ST certificate is impossible for any non-SC, non-ST.

Regards.

Last edited:
I feel if brahmins really wanted, they could have earned goodwill / benefited by (1) allowing people to sanskritise to dvijas (2) by earning money performing upanaynams for them. If not, they could have made themselves aware of the origins of various social groups, including their own origins, and given a more explanatory view of things.
Happy with due respects to you, there are different categories of brahmins today
1. Involved in priestly professions and taking care of the vaidika knowledge
2. Those who have influence or control over the vaidika institutions
3. Those who have already drifted away and have little say in the affairs of the institutiions, and this is especially true about the poor in this category some whom do not even do the complete rituals for lack of money. I know a person who after death they knocked the door of every relation to perform the last rites of their deceased father and were hardpressed for money. Such brahmins do not even know what is happening inside a vedic school.
While I do agree that 1 and 2 can influence, some have already started the process of opening. The rich in 3 dont care anything about rituals until they need the service , many of them have rationally saught marriages outside their community. They may have the ability to influence or not, but neither do they seek vedic education nor do they recommend it for anyone. In such categories poor cannot have any say unless they believe in tradition and join the vedic schools to change the people there. But they dont believe in these traditions and they dont join these schools and hence they have no influential power.

Potentially every B can cause change. But most can cause change only if they participate in the vedic system, which they dont. It is like blaming an atheist in a fundamentalist sect,for the problems caused by his members. Yes the atheist can pretend not to be one, and become member of the sect and change within, but why should he when he does not believe in it?

So there is a difference here you see. Happy you may be aware that many( actually could be high as 50% today ) youngsters despite their orthodox parents have nothing to do with tradition and throw it away the moment they live a life of their own. The law cannot therefore draw such equations and say change vedic institutions then only the modern system can be reservation free. This can be applied to youngsters who have continued to follow vedic education beyond 18 years of age, but not for others.

I believe that poverty is an indication of the extent of discrimination or disadvantage. There are different categories among this poor. Some have education based disadvantage for many generations . Others only have poverty disadvantage. This can be categorized by providing reservation based on poverty and further specializing it based on education values in that family.

If we proceed this existing way of reservation, the brahmin and other labelled upper caste toilet cleaners and of similar professions, will enter their third generation of profession, being both poor and uneducated and doing a job which cannot pull them out of poverty. Further damage is via a permanently labelled upper caste title. There will not be a situation of a majority of lower castes who have made it big in life for generations, ever giving up reservations voluntarily, because I am certain that economic recession and fears of financial and social security will continue for next 100-200 years atleast.

Though Happy I appreciate your concern for the lowest of classes we cannot create a new system of heriditory inequality. I think vedic rituals and education will loose relevance and it is only a temporary phenomenon that people well versed in it make money. Going forward I am certain that these rituals in may be 50-100 years will no longer attract the general public. So even the other B who depend on them will loose the existing economic revenue and will most certainly give up this because of lack of motivation or because they need to earn bread for the family. However a permanent label will forever prevent well intentioned youngsters in these families from coming up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by sangom
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...-reservation-debate-resuming-4.html#post93538
Originally posted by Happyhindu
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...-reservation-debate-resuming-5.html#post93592
Sir, in the beginning of the 20th century the large scale land owners in madras presidency were vellalars (not even the mukkalathors, who anyways arose from the vellalars), nairs, balijas, kammas and reddys (the komatis, nagarathars, etc were also land owners but not large scale ones).

Of all these the Vellalars benefitted most from reservations. Others also found communal representations in the reservations scenario like Komatis (arya vysya), chettiars, etc. Whereas balijas and reddys get no reservations: LIST OF BACKWARD CLASSES APPROVED So sir some communities did not manage to be "double beneficieries".

Smt. happyhindu,

May be my English was not up to the mark, but what I said was "double beneficiary" phenomenon, meaning that the reservation system benefitted the political parties and the upper crust of the reserved categories; hence "double beneficiaries". I did not mean that any community managed to get any type of "double benefits". Hope the position is clear now.

Originally posted by sangom
The next possible way to refine the reservation is to exclude the "creamy layer" altogether from the purview of reservation. In a country in which industrialists belonging to the reserved categories having assets worth crores and annual incomes running into several tens of lakhs, manage to get income certificates showing that they are below poverty level , and get their children admitted to prestigious engineering colleges with low fee payments, how do we expect things to be set right? Such people are very, very influential and they have good contacts at all the levels of the govt. machinery and can get anything done without actually making any payment of bribes (I wonder if the JLP Act will punish such "discretionary" decisions.) that it is very difficult to really ensure that the creamy layer is removed.
Sir afaik, rich people used to (and still tend to) send their kids to study overseas (so do middle class people these days).

I do not know how we should resolve this issue. I knew many people from the reservation categories managing "income certificates" and availing fee concession for their children for technical education, after getting admission based on reservation. May be you know still higher level or richer people who opted to send their children abroad for their higher studies. Will that go to prove that what I came across was not true, or that I am not telling facts? I brought that point only to show that even without cash bribes there can be many malpractices which are today made possible through cash bribes.

In fact if you look at the 2G spectrum case, Raja has probably not taken any cash bribe/s from anyone. What we now call the himalayan example of corruption could happen without any government functionary or minister taking "money" should be kept in mind by the people behind the JLP bill also.

Originally posted by sangom
Brahmins had been giving their views on all questions relating to Hindu Law during the British rule as Shastris were employed by all the important courts in the Presidencies (including Bombay and Calcutta). Hence brahmins making pronouncements on caste or Varna questions was not confined to the south India only. In those days (of the British rule) the chaturvarnya was ruling and though every other caste wanted to be considered as (included in) one of the dwija varnas, those who mattered were from the very dwija category, they probably resisted increasing the privileged group (just as people who get into a crowded train compartment will, once they get in, try to prevent others struggling to get in.).
With due respect, is there any specfic reason why you feel "those who mattered" (which is brahmins?) did not want to crowd the dvija category?

If the orthodoxy wanted they could have also taken medhatithi's bhasya as reference point which allows people to be considered as dvijas based on occupation alone, and not birth.

I mean, there were ways of accomodating people sir (just like how rajputs were accomodated as dvijas..)...but it was not to be. .

Unfortunately it seems that these colonial-period 'orthodox' shastris brought upon difficulties for everyone...from their pov they were merely upholding dharma (by what means, and to serve what purpose i still cannot understand)...

happy,

You are talking about what could have been, not what actually happened. I feel there is no point in "crying over spilt milk". Yes, brahmins could have and would have acted differently... if only they could foresee the shape of things to come hundred or two hundred years in the future!
I say that probably the brahmins then did not want to enlarge the number of communities classified as "dwijas" and I have given the example of how the mind of "privileged" groups. Hope this is a satisfactory explanation.

But today an iyer boy who in all probability has no connection at all with those colonial-period-shastris ends up feeling anger at the injustice that he is left out of the reservations scenario. Yes sir this is injustice to the iyer boy.

I agree and I think this is how history works.

Someone even commented 'iyers kept belittling you people in public as shudras, yet dk goons attacked iyengars, what nyayam is this' - i find no words as answers sir...am completely in agreement that such things were/are gross and sheer injustice done to innocent brahmins who had nothing to do with the political-or-colonial-period-shastris..

Regards.
I do not have any idea whether iyers only kept belittling non-brahmins nor do I know whether dk goons attacked iyengars only. Anyway, iyengars were an offshoot from iyers of an earlier era and their difference is only at the philosophical heights. For the "aam aadmi" both are "paarppanars".

I don't mind attacks on both iyers and iyengars in this forum without discrimination. But let us not resuscitate the bad blood which is stated to have existed between the two schisms at one period of history. ;)

Even though the people are ready to Throw Away Caste System , The Govt and Politicians will not allow the People to get united,because Only Politicians are inducing the Caste Fight for their survival.
Government and politicians cannot do anything if people are indeed united. The fact is, people are not united. There still exists 2 hinduisms in india - one that is practiced by 'brahmins' and another that is practiced by 'non-brahmins'. The orthodox amongst both groups (Bs and NBs) would like to keep alive caste-discrimination and exclusive-rights (like vedic education, mudal maryadai in temples which result in petty fights amongst NBs in rural areas, etc). Often the orthodox amongst both groups (Bs and NBs) are the kind who lack awareness and a broad-based thinking. So basically its the orthodox on one side and the moderates on the other side. The challenge would be to see how the differences between the orthodox and the moderates are reconciled. Unless this happens, we cannot claim unity amongst people, i feel.

Government and politicians cannot do anything if people are indeed united. The fact is, people are not united. There still exists 2 hinduisms in india - one that is practiced by 'brahmins' and another that is practiced by 'non-brahmins'. The orthodox amongst both groups (Bs and NBs) would like to keep alive caste-discrimination and exclusive-rights (like vedic education, mudal maryadai in temples which result in petty fights amongst NBs in rural areas, etc). Often the orthodox amongst both groups (Bs and NBs) are the kind who lack awareness and a broad-based thinking. So basically its the orthodox on one side and the moderates on the other side. The challenge would be to see how the differences between the orthodox and the moderates are reconciled. Unless this happens, we cannot claim unity amongst people, i feel.

good one happy. this is the taint that caste consciousness builds in us.

you dont have to go far. the most fervent casteist are in this forum. and no amount of education would do good.

i think, in order for casteism to go away from the hindu mentality, we will have to become a minority in india. out of desperation we will throw out manu. till then manu rules. all in the name of dharma?

so be it. que sera sera....

ps.. the best hindus are found outside of india - malaysia, fiji, south africa, usa and canada. not singapore or england where constant stream and local alienation, feeds on the casteist mentality through the next generation. atleast that is the way i feel.

Last edited:
Happy with due respects to you, there are different categories of brahmins today
1. Involved in priestly professions and taking care of the vaidika knowledge
2. Those who have influence or control over the vaidika institutions
3. Those who have already drifted away and have little say in the affairs of the institutiions, and this is especially true about the poor in this category some whom do not even do the complete rituals for lack of money. I know a person who after death they knocked the door of every relation to perform the last rites of their deceased father and were hardpressed for money. Such brahmins do not even know what is happening inside a vedic school.
While I do agree that 1 and 2 can influence, some have already started the process of opening. The rich in 3 dont care anything about rituals until they need the service , many of them have rationally saught marriages outside their community. They may have the ability to influence or not, but neither do they seek vedic education nor do they recommend it for anyone. In such categories poor cannot have any say unless they believe in tradition and join the vedic schools to change the people there. But they dont believe in these traditions and they dont join these schools and hence they have no influential power.

Potentially every B can cause change. But most can cause change only if they participate in the vedic system, which they dont. It is like blaming an atheist in a fundamentalist sect,for the problems caused by his members. Yes the atheist can pretend not to be one, and become member of the sect and change within, but why should he when he does not believe in it?

So there is a difference here you see. Happy you may be aware that many( actually could be high as 50% today ) youngsters despite their orthodox parents have nothing to do with tradition and throw it away the moment they live a life of their own. The law cannot therefore draw such equations and say change vedic institutions then only the modern system can be reservation free. This can be applied to youngsters who have continued to follow vedic education beyond 18 years of age, but not for others.

I believe that poverty is an indication of the extent of discrimination or disadvantage. There are different categories among this poor. Some have education based disadvantage for many generations . Others only have poverty disadvantage. This can be categorized by providing reservation based on poverty and further specializing it based on education values in that family.

If we proceed this existing way of reservation, the brahmin and other labelled upper caste toilet cleaners and of similar professions, will enter their third generation of profession, being both poor and uneducated and doing a job which cannot pull them out of poverty. Further damage is via a permanently labelled upper caste title. There will not be a situation of a majority of lower castes who have made it big in life for generations, ever giving up reservations voluntarily, because I am certain that economic recession and fears of financial and social security will continue for next 100-200 years atleast.

Though Happy I appreciate your concern for the lowest of classes we cannot create a new system of heriditory inequality. I think vedic rituals and education will loose relevance and it is only a temporary phenomenon that people well versed in it make money. Going forward I am certain that these rituals in may be 50-100 years will no longer attract the general public. So even the other B who depend on them will loose the existing economic revenue and will most certainly give up this because of lack of motivation or because they need to earn bread for the family. However a permanent label will forever prevent well intentioned youngsters in these families from coming up.
Sir i do very much agree with some of your points. But some of them am not able to accept as yet.

I do agree there are different kinds of brahmins and 'brahmins'. Unfortunately sir, it seems to me the priestly classes chose to allocate varnas to others without taking into consideration how various priestly groups themselves were elevated to the sanskritic brahmin varna from the historical POV. IMO the idea of colonial-period-shastris was to "create" a birth-based varna hierachy under the colonial rule (anyways every "caste" is a socio-political outcome of the political organization of each kingdom which came to exist at various points of time....but under the colonial rule, perhaps some shastris found it condusive to popularize a select version of things from the theology pov alone for self-promotion. This may have been possible since 'brahmins' occupied all the higher rungs of administration in the colonial government). Unfrotunately sir, am unable to accept any idea of a "heredity" inequality for past, present or future in terms of "caste".

I feel as long as there are people practicing hinduism, then there will be a role for priests and philosophers. So am not also able to accept that vedic rituals will loose relevance over time. I feel it is impossible for anyone to join any system if they do not beleive in it.

This is a religion which gives convincing answers from both POVs, atheism and theism, with agnosticism in between. Individual are also free to go back and forth at various points of time (depending on life events at various given times). Though theists and atheists involve in passionate disagreements, yet, as a religion, what we call "hinduism" accomodates all schools of thot. But it is surprising that some choose not to accomodate people.

Also sir, Bs giving up things does not in anyway change the reservations system at the social level that has come to exist. So i suppose the only ways left are (1) Either people need to accept reservations as a fact that will continue to exist atleast for some more years to come (until each former underprivileged community is raised above the poverty line imo), and/or (2) make some changes within hindusim to allow inclusiveness, so that changes at the grassroots will enable eradication of caste-based reservations (or alteast prevent further politicization / abuse of reservations).

Regards.

good one happy. this is the taint that caste consciousness builds in us.

you dont have to go far. the most fervent casteist are in this forum. and no amount of education would do good.

i think, in order for casteism to go away from the hindu mentality, we will have to become a minority in india. out of desperation we will throw out manu. till then manu rules. all in the name of dharma?

so be it. que sera sera....

ps.. the best hindus are found outside of india - malaysia, fiji, south africa, usa and canada. not singapore or england where constant stream and local alienation, feeds on the casteist mentality through the next generation. atleast that is the way i feel.
Sir, i dread to think what will happen if all the so-called OBCs (shudras) and so-called 'dalits' end up converting to other religions...I was surprised to see that despite missionary activity and all, still the 2001 census results show that SCs and STs in majority are infact hindus...that shows people still have hope for acceptance (and hopefully even equality) in the religion they practice i suppose...

still the 2001 census results show that SCs and STs in majority are infact hindus...that shows people still have hope for acceptance (and hopefully even equality) in the religion they practice i suppose...

Sometimes these census data do not bring the whole picture. Members might have heard about the case of TN IAS officer Uma Shankar, who was suspended by the previous govt on charges of falsifying his caste certificate. Uma Shankar is considered as an upright and dutiful officer. Many saw the case against him as politically motivated. He was later reinstated following widespread opposition. However, he did not deny that he is a practicing christian. He also encouraged other SCs to get out of hindu fold but retain their caste certificates. Therefore, one can legally be a hindu and avail quota benefits and still be a practicing christian. This issue came into limelight because Uma Shankar is a high profile officer. I suspect there is a considerable size of population among SCs in particular who, by practice, are non-hindus but are considered legally hindu.

Again, it sppears you are using the term OBC to refer to shudras (if not, please make yourself clearer). Because there is nothing called OBC in Tamilnadu. As already mentioned in post 28, there are 69% reserved seats, and this is distributed as BC 30%, MBC 20%, SC 18% (in which 3% is reserved exclusively for the Arundhathiyars -- and this proportion takes their population size into account as well) and ST 1%.

I do not know what HH is getting at here. I have clarified several times what I mean by the term OBC. I use it to denote the communities that are classified as backward for purposes of reservation. In TN scenario, OBC would mean BC and MBC.

Indeed, TN govt prepared list of OBC for reservation in central institutes includes all and the very same communities classified as BC and MBC. Let me know if this is wrong.

It is HH who is conveniently mixing the usage of term "backward" as in "social backwardness" and in "backward classes as defined for reservation purposes". These terms are not equivalent. While social backwardness is a necessary condition, it is not a sufficient condition. That is the premise of my argument.

Clarifying semantics is important. Confucius said that if words lose their meaning, people lose their liberty! But I am unable to explain any better :-(

On what basis do you claim dalits are being made ineligible to compete for 50% seats allocated for OBCs (which OBCs in which state) ?

I meant the dalits cannot compete for the 50% seats allocated to BCs and MBCs, because of exclusive compartmentalization rather than hierarchical compartmentalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back