• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What would be the fate/kismet of Dharun Ravi? An Excellent Portrait in The New Yorker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Ravi,

Sometimes even the best of parents have worst of kids..nothing really works sometimes.
My mum had tried so hard to instill certain stuff in me which I never really picked up cos I grew up thinking I will do what I feel is right to me.I never fought back but was just waiting for adulthood so that I can do what I felt is right to me.

So I would not want to shift some of the blame to parents..its not fair also cos some of them do a real good job its just that some kids just dont change.

Dear Renuka,

Yes. To some extent I do agree with you. There are cases of good parents with their good parenting who lost their peace, respect and even property due to their wrong children. But such cases are the rarest.

The basic things in life can not be ruled out. Good parenting is the foundation of each children's personality and collectively contributes for a better society along with socially followed culture/practices/values/perceptions etc.

What you have highlighted about yourself is nothing but a different personality that you have as your inborn trait/had gained and something that is other than that of your parents. But still you have some values for yourself (though you may be expressing your views differently in public :) ), you have belief in God and spirituality and I could sense that you are a great mother to your son and a good daugher of your parents (have no idea about how good are you as a wife..LOL..just kidding) by what you express here about your self and your family.

All said, we can't just rule out the importance of good parenting and good social/cultural values/practices.

Dear Renuka, this is kalli yuga in its peak. We have to just wish for a good social culture to exist and do our best in our parenting. Just with some examples of odd cases where good parenting has failed, we can not close our eyes and be relaxed relectuntly.

Trial is On: Dharun Ravi Vs State of New Jersey.

Folks:

Unfortunately, the official trial started today, after 4 days of Jury Selection.

It appears some Cable TV is broadcasting live the whole proceeding. It has lots of interest in the Eastern Seaboard of the US.

Many people in NJ-NY area are glued to the TV, it seems.

I want the Indian diaspora here (both PIOs and NRIs) pay some attention to what's happening there.

For this could potentially damage Indian Image in this New Land....

I only wish that Dharun took the Plea Deal.. and closed the matter ASAP.

Now, at least one of the fifteen counts WILL stick, and he will be jailed for 2-5 years. At the end of the jail term, he will get mandatory deportation to India!

What say you all?

Cheers.

:)

ps. nytimes.com has a front page story on this Trial. Please visit NY Times!

Last edited:
Today, Saturday Feb 25th, 2012, ABC World News with David Muir at 5:30 pm CST ran a long piece on this Trial...

... Indian Nationalists may feel very sick.

Is it all part of "Vithi" or what?

Wait & watch.

Some new revelation-

"48 Hours" a show that's very similar to "60 Minutes" of CBS mentioned that Dharun was born on 2-28-89 from a NY State Driver's License of Dharun Ravi.

This will make him about 2-3 years older than Tyler Clementi. And, when the incident happened Dharun was about 21, and not 18/19 as claimed by the Defense and others.

How did this happen? Maybe, Dharun's REAL age and recorded age here in the US are quite different. This has happened to many people born in India.

Another strange news:

That US Immigration (ICE) CAN nab Dharun Ravi anytime (even during this Trial) and deport him to India. Because as a Green Card holder he is legally required to be registered as a Student or hold gainful employment.

Now, it seems Dharun is neither. Hence ICE can exercise their OPTION to nab and deport him immediately!

Wait & watch.

Last edited:
Dear Yamaka Ji,

The New Yorker original article about this case, mentioned the NY license as a fake one. Dharun lives in NJ, not NY. He obviously got the fake license, putting his age at 21 while attending college for obvious reasons, like millions of kids at that age do.

No, he can not be deported for not having a job or not being a full time student. Revocation of his green card and deportation can only be done on fraud on getting the card or for a felony conviction and that too can be appealed. Rarely do judges throw a kid like him out of the country.

I sympathize with this kid and his family. Bad values are not criminal and I think he is being tried to amend for someone's decision to take his own life. This can happen to any parent/kid.

I think that he will be cleared of the serious charges and will get a slap on his wrist. I do not think there will be any jail time.

Let us not hope for otherwise.

Regards,
KRS

...I sympathize with this kid and his family. Bad values are not criminal and I think he is being tried to amend for someone's decision to take his own life. This can happen to any parent/kid.

I think that he will be cleared of the serious charges and will get a slap on his wrist. I do not think there will be any jail time.
I totally agree with you. Our nation is going through another big social change, so typical of USA, not many other nations can reinvent itself so quickly and so frequently, generation after generation. Gay bashing and gay bullying is no longer going to be tolerated, a change that I support 1000%. The dynamic of this change is extracting a price from Dharun. He is a convenient scape goat for the nation's own guilt feeling. The real bullies who create the climate of homphobia on the other hand are going about scott free.

Cheers!

The Trial is going on...many people in the US are keenly watching the proceedings..

There appears to be THREE camps developing so far:

1. Dharun is just "a loathsome jerk.. not a criminal"

2. Dharun "committed a CRIME, not necessarily a "HATE CRIME"" . If this sticks in the minds of Jury, he may go to jail for 3-5 years, at least. Because of repeated nature of the CRIME. Then he will be deported to India, for sure.

3. Dharun "committed or intended to commit a HATE CRIME because Tyler was a "Poor Gay". If this stands, then he will go to jail for 5-10 years. Then he will be deported to India, for sure.

I take the Camp 2, for now... so far, there is no indication that Dharun was a bigot; but a very mischievous, spoiled "loathsome jerk" and he committed CRIMES: Invasion of Privacy (twice) and Tried to obstruct Justice etc.

Well, wait & watch

Another day of Trial today....

All confirmed that Dharun Ravi wanted a "Beer & Rum" Party on Sep 21, 2010 watching Tyler & his friend having personal activities in his room via his webcam. This "Watching" was foiled on that day because Tyler pulled out the power line to the computer.

Dharuns' tweets also confirmed that he "focused on Tyler's bed" his webcam for clear view!

According to one legal expert (a retired Judge) the prosecution has already proved the case that Dharun committed crimes on Sep 19 and Sep 21, 2010 and there is ample to decipher from his tweets that Dharun was "uncomfortable" with this "Poor Gay Room mate".

Although he did not hate Tyler outright, he was quite uncomfortable with this gay activity.

In other words, the prosecution is telling the Jurors the MOTIVE for what Dharun did on those two days...

I am slowly moving from Camp 2 to Camp 3!!

Innum varum...

Wait & watch.

Yams, having read the entire article (17 pages I think), i find no heart towards this dharun ravi.

if i was a judge, i would definitely hand him over 20 years followed by deportation.

One can be punished for what he did, and not for consequential damage. All contracting partners explicitly disaasociate themselves from consequential damages.

Hello Shiv:

Here some experts opine that it's hard to prove a "hate crime" and the prosecution has not proved it as yet..

In any event, if Dharun is convicted of violation of privacy on two occasions ( 19th and 21st Sept, 2010), and twice tampering with the witness, the possible sentence is about 3-5 years in jail and subsequent deportation to India.

Proving this with a "Hate Crime" will double the punishment as per the NJ State Law.

Dharun got a very poor advice from the lawyer and/or parents... he should have taken the Plea Deal as Molly Wei did very intelligently.

Very bad.

Wait & watch.

Dharun got a very poor advice from the lawyer and/or parents... he should have taken the Plea Deal as Molly Wei did very intelligently.

Very bad.

Wait & watch.

Unlce Yams,

i think he would have got a poor advice from his rich parents. this is a typical style of us. he should have accepted the mistake and moved on.

Ravi was visibly anxious when the judge addressed him. Last May, Berman reminded him, he had rejected a plea offer made by McClure. “You are presumed innocent,” he said. “But if you are found guilty, the exposure”—the sentencing potential—“is significant.

as on today's turn of trial events, chances of proving hate crime seems to be bleak.. though dharun once said, he hate gays, but his other actions and further testimony of molley wei, doesnt substantiate his actions to be of hate crime.

yesterdays testimony could punch a deep hole in defense.

A police detective testified "Clementi check
ed Ravi’s Twitter feed 38 times in 48 hours before his death, and took a screen shot of two messages posted there.

In one, Ravi posted that he saw Clementi “making out with a dude.” (Clementi saved that tweet about 1am on September. 21, 2010.)
In the other, Ravi dared others to watch a webcam video Ravi allegedly made to spy on Clementi’s second tryst with M.B.
Ravi has previously tried to deny arranging for any kind of viewing party of his illicit spying on his roommate, and that the cam was there to make sure nothing was stolen.

yesterdays testimony could punch a deep hole in defense.

A police detective testified "Clementi check
ed Ravi’s Twitter feed 38 times in 48 hours before his death, and took a screen shot of two messages posted there.

In one, Ravi posted that he saw Clementi “making out with a dude.” (Clementi saved that tweet about 1am on September. 21, 2010.)
In the other, Ravi dared others to watch a webcam video Ravi allegedly made to spy on Clementi’s second tryst with M.B.
Ravi has previously tried to deny arranging for any kind of viewing party of his illicit spying on his roommate, and that the cam was there to make sure nothing was stolen.

Dear ALL:

The Prosecution of the State of NJ has finished with their arguments...

There is a Motion by the Defense to throw out some of the charges..

But, Judge Glenn Berman has ruled that NINE charges will stand, and will give a verdict on the remaining SIX charges tomorrow, when the Defense will start their argument on this very interesting and controversial (perhaps, a landmark case in the US).

As I wrote before, BIASED Intimidation is the most serious charge. I am not sure whether the Prosecution has really nailed it on Dharun.

Dharun CAN really WALK w/o any jail term, if the Defense can prove that indeed Dharun was the person who turned the webcam off on Sep 21, 2010 after 7:30 pm, as he claimed to the Police Officers on Sep 23, 2010.

I think this is impossible. Because there is a witness to whom Tyler informed that he foiled the second attempt of spying (on 21 Sep 2010) by pulling the power supply to Dharun's computer. This witness was not allowed to testify for some reason so far. She may be called to come to the witness stand.

What was the MOTIVE of Dharun Ravi in spying on Tyler Clementi by using webcam?
Why did Dharun arrange for a "Beer and Rum Viewing Party" on the Sep 21, 2010? Who pulled the plug off that evening after 7:30 pm, Sep 21, 2010?

The Defense needs to answer all these questions tomorrow and the next week.

Wait & watch.

Last edited:
Hello ALL:

It appears for now ALL counts stay: Nine counts relate to Group I: Bias Intimidation (read Hate Crime), Invasion of Privacy on two occasions, and six counts relate to Group II: Avoidance of apprehension, tampering with physical evidence and tampering with witness etc.

Defense is wasting a lot of precious time on examining the person working in the Prosecutor's Office, the purpose of which is not clear to anyone, including the Jurors, I guess.

Group II offenses are crimes of third and fourth degree: Just for this alone Dharun could be jailed for up to 3 years.

Group I offenses are crimes of second and third degree: Possible jail of ten years!

The sad saga continues next week... most probably, by Friday, we may get the Verdict...

Wait & watch.

on this date of prosecution resting the case, its quite clear dharun ravi, is for sure to spend some days in jail. not sure if it would be ten years.

i think prosecution has not build a strong case on the charge of bias intimidation, and for sure the smart lawyer Steve Altman gonna punch holes every where in days to come.

uncle Yams,

i was wondering why Steve Altman decided not to send ravi to give a testimony? what could be his strategy outthere?

uncle Yams,

i was wondering why Steve Altman decided not to send ravi to give a testimony? what could be his strategy outthere?

Hello Shiv:

Usually the Defense will not allow the defendant to take the stand, fearing that the Prosecutor will "tear them apart"!

In this case, Altman did a big dis-service to Dharun. I wish Dharun told the Judge that he was willing to take the stand to tell his part of the story.

Had he said to the Jurors,

"I was just a 18 year old teenager, barely about a month in my College. Perhaps, I was a bit stupid in my youthful indiscretion; I am not an anti-gay, I am not a bigot. I am very remorseful of my stupid actions on Sep 19 and Sep 21 2010.

I apologize to my room mate late Tyler Clementi, his parents and family." I am sure the Jurors will allow him to walk "not guilty".

Now, he has missed that golden opportunity. Again, a very poor act by the Defense Lawyer!

My bet is, Dharun will be found guilty of some counts and thus a jail of 6 months to 3 years, at least, and deportation.

We may know the result before the end of the week, I expect.

Wait & watch.

Unlce Yams, this could be the first and latest news.

An ex-Rutgers student accused of using a webcam to spy on his gay roommate was convicted of invasion of privacy but cleared of some of the more serious charges of bias intimidation Friday

Read more: Dharun Ravi guilty of invasion of privacy, other counts in Tyler Clementi Rutgers spying case - NY Daily News

After 12 hours of deliberation over more than two days, a jury found Dharun Ravi guilty of invasion of privacy, destroying evidence, hindering apprehension or prosecution, witness tampering, and bias as a hate crime, but not guilty of several other counts of bias intimidation in a New Jersey court today
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/03/dharun-ravi-guilty-verdict-tyler-clementi-trial.html?mid=rss

looks like, he escaped ten year R.I.. but how much would be the sentence for this invasion of privacy.. I mean an act of Voyeurism.

Unlcle Yams, whats your prediction about the fate and kismet of Ravi

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlce Yams, this could be the first and latest news.

An ex-Rutgers student accused of using a webcam to spy on his gay roommate was convicted of invasion of privacy but cleared of some of the more serious charges of bias intimidation Friday

Read more: Dharun Ravi guilty of invasion of privacy, other counts in Tyler Clementi Rutgers spying case - NY Daily News

After 12 hours of deliberation over more than two days, a jury found Dharun Ravi guilty of invasion of privacy, destroying evidence, hindering apprehension or prosecution, witness tampering, and bias as a hate crime, but not guilty of several other counts of bias intimidation in a New Jersey court today
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/03/dharun-ravi-guilty-verdict-tyler-clementi-trial.html?mid=rss

looks like, he escaped ten year R.I.. but how much would be the sentence for this invasion of privacy.. I mean an act of Voyeurism.

Unlcle Yams, whats your prediction about the fate and kismet of Ravi

Hello Shiv and others:

Here is the detailed Verdict on Dharun Ravi Vs. State of New Jersy. From nj.com

THE VERDICT BREAKDOWN

Here are all the counts against Dharun Ravi and a breakdown of the decisions rendered today in the Rutgers webcam spying trial in New Brunswick. Each verdict will be posted here as soon as possible, so please refresh the page frequently.
COUNT 1
4th Degree Invasion of Privacy, related to Tyler Clementi: GUILTY
4th Degree Invasion of Privacy, related to Clementi's guest, M.B.: GUILTY
(Observed Clementi/M.B. in sexual contact without their consent on Sept. 19)
If Guilty, jury proceeds to count 2; if Not Guilty, jury skips count 2 and proceeds to count 3COUNT 2
3rd Degree Bias Intimidation
(For 4th Degree Invasion of Privacy charge on Sept. 19)
• Invasion of Privacy with the purpose to intimidate Tyler Clementi because of sexual orientation:ACQUITTED• Invasion of Privacy with the purpose to intimidate M.B. because of sexual orientation:ACQUITTED• Invasion of Privacy, knowing that the conduct constituting invasion of privacy would cause Tyler Clementi to be intimidated because of sexual orientation: ACQUITTED• Invasion of Privacy, knowing that the conduct constituting invasion of privacy would cause M.B. to be intimidated because of sexual orientation: ACQUITTED• Invasion of Privacy, under circumstances that caused Tyler Clementi to be intimidated, and considering the manner in which the offense was committed, Clementi reasonably believed that he was selected to be the target of the offense because of sexual orientation: GUILTYCOUNT 3
3rd Degree Invasion of Privacy, related to Tyler Clementi: GUILTY
3rd Degree Invasion of Privacy, related to M.B.: GUILTY
(Activated webcam so other people could view Clementi/M.B. in sexual contact on Sept 19.)
If Guilty, jury proceeds to count 4; if Not Guilty, jury skips count 4 and proceeds to count 5COUNT 4
2nd Degree Bias Intimidation
(For 3rd Degree Invasion of Privacy charge on Sept. 19)
• Invasion of Privacy, with the purpose to intimidate Tyler Clementi because of sexual orientation:ACQUITTED• Invasion of Privacy, with the purpose to intimidate M.B. because of sexual orientation:ACQUITTED

• Invasion of Privacy, knowing that the conduct constituting invasion of privacy would cause Tyler Clementi to be intimidated because of sexual orientation: GUILTY
• Invasion of Privacy, knowing that the conduct constituting invasion of privacy would cause M.B. to be intimidated, because of sexual orientation: ACQUITTED• Invasion of Privacy, under circumstances that caused Tyler Clementi to be intimidated, and considering the manner in which the offense was committed, Clementi reasonably believed that he was selected to be the target of the offense because of sexual orientation: GUILTYCOUNT 5
4th Degree Attempted Invasion of Privacy, related to Tyler Clementi: GUILTY
4th Degree Attempted Invasion of Privacy, related to M.B.: GUILTY
(Tried to observe Clementi/M.B. in sexual contact without their consent on Sept. 21)
If Guilty, jury proceeds to count 6; if Not Guilty, jury skips count 6 and proceeds to count 7COUNT 6
3rd Degree Bias Intimidation
(For 4th Degree Invasion of Privacy charge on Sept. 21)
• Invasion of Privacy, with the purpose to intimidate Tyler Clementi because of sexual orientation:GUILTY

• Invasion of Privacy, with the purpose to intimidate M.B. because of sexual orientation:ACQUITTED
• Invasion of Privacy, knowing that the conduct constituting invasion of privacy would cause Tyler Clementi to be intimated because of sexual orientation: GUILTY• Invasion of Privacy, knowing that the conduct constituting invasion of privacy would cause M.B. to be intimidated because of sexual orientation: ACQUITTED• Invasion of Privacy, under circumstances that caused Tyler Clementi to be intimidated, and considering the manner in which the offense was committed, Clementi reasonably believed that he was selected to be the target of the offense because of sexual orientation: GUILTY

COUNT 7
3rd Degree Attempted Invasion of Privacy, related to Tyler Clementi: GUILTY
3rd Degree Attempted Invasion of Privacy, related to M.B.: GUILTY
(Tried to show Clementi/M.B. in sexual contact to other people on Sept. 21)
If Guilty, jury proceeds to count 8; if Not Guilty, jury skips count 8 and proceeds to count 9COUNT 8
2nd Degree Bias Intimidation
(For 3rd Degree Attempted Invasion of Privacy charge on Sept. 21)

• Invasion of Privacy, with the purpose to intimidate Tyler Clementi because of sexual orientation:GUILTY
• Invasion of Privacy, with the purpose to intimidate M.B. because of sexual orientation:ACQUITTED• Invasion of Privacy, knowing that the conduct constituting invasion of privacy would cause Tyler Clementi to be intimidated because of sexual orientation: GUILTY• Invasion of Privacy, knowing that the conduct constituting invasion of privacy would cause M.B. to be intimidated because of sexual orientation: ACQUITTED• Invasion of Privacy, under circumstances that caused Tyler Clementi to be intimidated, and considering the manner in which the offense was committed, Clementi reasonably believed that he was selected to be the target of the offense because of sexual orientation: GUILTY

COUNT 9
4th Degree Tampering with Physical Evidence: GUILTY
(Deleted tweets relevant to police investigation)
COUNT 10
(Wrote and posted a false tweet)
COUNT 11
3rd Degree Hindering Apprehension or Prosecution: GUILTY
(Destroyed evidence relevant to investigation)
COUNT 12
(Prevented a witness from providing testimony)
COUNT 13
(Lied to police)
COUNT 14
3rd Degree Witness Tampering: GUILTY
(Tried to influence what Molly Wei told police)
COUNT 15

I am very angry at the Parents and the Defense Attorney Steve Altman.

Dharun Ravi was indeed a spoiled child. He is going to learn the lessons of life the very hard way.

My guess is the Judge will give him at least 3-5 years jail time (See Counts 7 & 8). Prosecution got most of what they asked for. At least two Guilty on Bias Intimidation Charges.

Whether the Judge can give a Suspended Jail time is an open question. We don't know whether Ravi will go for Appeal of the Verdict either.

A very sad day for PIOs and NRIs here in the US.

Wait and watch.

Last edited:
Thanks uncle yams.. Im catching up with that event live here too

"No one said Dharun Ravi didn't like gays, no one said Ravi went after Clementi because he was gay. The jury had to extrapolate that from case," he said.

a typical indian attitude... not to accept the mistakes and move on.. I remember Sh.Kunjuppu who often advocated this here, but was taunted by many

Now the mathematical equation changed

600Hrs of social service > few year of imprisonment..

boy.. the parents were fool, for not making the kid to admit the truth, face the penalty and move on..

Lawyer: Steve Altman must be a smart guy..he stole the show.. got it to fame.. and robbed the pocket of the father, who one bought a BMW for a school going kid. .

no wonder, the first impression of ravi about his dorm mate is ' He is a Poor Kid'.. gay came second..

I welcome this judgment..

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear ALL:

I know many of you wonder why Yamaka is obsessed with this Dharun Ravi Trial.

Please understand that this is a very serious matter in the US. This is a watershed moment in the Social History of the Land, as it is covered fully by major news sources like NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post etc.

Potentially, this matter can go to the US Supreme Court, if some anti-Gay activists get involved.

My only lament is why a Tamil family got entangled in such a very thorny Social Issue? This brings unnecessarily a bad media attention to all the NRIs and PIOs. Is this my tribal instinct? Probably.

Consequently, I wish that there is no Appeal and the matter dies once the Sentencing is over by 21st May, 2012.

Here is the video of the Verdict... somehow, I get the feeling that Dharun (& his family) don't get the whole MAGNITUDE of the CRIMES committed and the whole issue surrounding the death of poor Tyler Clementi.

A total failure of good parenting... I am really angry at Pazhani Ravi & his wife.

Their son is going to be sexually and physically assaulted in the State Jail (even if it is for 6 months, it will be a real hell).

Very very sad.

Jury reveals verdict in Rutgers trial (7:40) - The Washington Post

....A total failure of good parenting... I am really angry at Pazhani Ravi & his wife.

Total failure of parenting -- why is this not blindly jumping to sweeping conclusion?

Let me show you some bad parenting, please read this. These guys are heros for <explitive>sake. Please, let us keep it in proportion.

USA has been a hugely homophobic nation for a long time. Religious leaders routinely demonize Gays as abomination against God and country. Rick Santorum, the leading contender against Mitt Romney for the Republican party nomination for presidency routinely makes nasty comments about Gays. Bullying in schools is so endemic that there have been a spate of young boys committing suicide. The situation is so dire that many progressive states are passing laws to curb it, and sadly, many states in the more conservative regions of the U.S. such efforts are being blocked by Republican law makers.

At the same time, LGBT community have been constantly making their case for basic human rights and have had important successes in the recent past. The hate-mongers are feeling the pressure and are having to retool their message. Yet, they are still a potent force, not yet vanquished. They spare no expense to slow down progress.

There is an intense struggle going on between liberal progressive forces and religious conservatives on this issue.

This is the context in which we must look at Dharun's case. He surely was affected by the prejudices of the society in general against LGBT. However, from the New Yorker article, one can readily see that he was not hateful of Gays. From the texts he exchanged it is clear he did not mind a gay roommate. If the tragedy had not happened the two roommates may have gotten along fine and found different roommates the next year, and life would have gone on.

But, he let his teenage stupidity cross some lines. Unfortunately the tragic event happened. Now he is a convenient scapegoat. The prejudiced society has a golden opportunity to make a show of him. Let Dharun pay for the sins of society. The society can now rest proud, they have held a "bully" accountable.

There is a weekly one-hour TV program called Gay USA, even they were saying Dharun was no more than a stupid teenager who didn't know any better, a kid caught by the unfortunate force of circumstances. Now the gay-haters can point to Dharun's case as vindication that they are not gay-haters after all, and that they only hate the act, not the gays.

If Dharun spends one day in prison, that would be a travesty. But we have our brown boy, lynch him from the nearest tree, for all our sins.

Their son is going to be sexually and physically assaulted in the State Jail (even if it is for 6 months, it will be a real hell).

Very very sad.
Yes, it is very sad, but you are not making it any better by blaming the parents having no personal knowledge about them, sorry, really sorry!

Total failure of parenting -- why is this not blindly jumping to sweeping conclusion?

Let me show you some bad parenting, please read this. These guys are heros for <explitive>sake. Please, let us keep it in proportion.

USA has been a hugely homophobic nation for a long time. Religious leaders routinely demonize Gays as abomination against God and country. Rick Santorum, the leading contender against Mitt Romney for the Republican party nomination for presidency routinely makes nasty comments about Gays. Bullying in schools is so endemic that there have been a spate of young boys committing suicide. The situation is so dire that many progressive states are passing laws to curb it, and sadly, many states in the more conservative regions of the U.S. such efforts are being blocked by Republican law makers.

At the same time, LGBT community have been constantly making their case for basic human rights and have had important successes in the recent past. The hate-mongers are feeling the pressure and are having to retool their message. Yet, they are still a potent force, not yet vanquished. They spare no expense to slow down progress.

There is an intense struggle going on between liberal progressive forces and religious conservatives on this issue.

This is the context in which we must look at Dharun's case. He surely was affected by the prejudices of the society in general against LGBT. However, from the New Yorker article, one can readily see that he was not hateful of Gays. From the texts he exchanged it is clear he did not mind a gay roommate. If the tragedy had not happened the two roommates may have gotten along fine and found different roommates the next year, and life would have gone on.

But, he let his teenage stupidity cross some lines. Unfortunately the tragic event happened. Now he is a convenient scapegoat. The prejudiced society has a golden opportunity to make a show of him. Let Dharun pay for the sins of society. The society can now rest proud, they have held a "bully" accountable.

There is a weekly one-hour TV program called Gay USA, even they were saying Dharun was no more than a stupid teenager who didn't know any better, a kid caught by the unfortunate force of circumstances. Now the gay-haters can point to Dharun's case as vindication that they are not gay-haters after all, and that they only hate the act, not the gays.

If Dharun spends one day in prison, that would be a travesty. But we have our brown boy, lynch him from the nearest tree, for all our sins.

Yes, it is very sad, but you are not making it any better by blaming the parents having no personal knowledge about them, sorry, really sorry!

Dear N:

1. Yes, I don't know much about Pazhani Ravi & his wife; however, I know that Dharun did not take the very generous Plea Deal, in spite of the Judge explaining to him the "enormous exposure" he would suffer if he loses in the Trial.

I believe parents could have given the son "what if he loses the case in the Trial". I charge that they have utterly failed to impress him on the RISK.

Maybe, you take the position that son went against parents' advice.

That's possible.

2. Yes, there was atrocity in Afghanistan. I want to separate the war front from the home front here. You may take a different approach.

3. Yes, Rick Santorum, as a Religious Conservative, is against LGBT Rights. I will never vote for him or his allies.

4. Dharun today has been found guilty of 4 Second Degree criminal offenses. Which as per NJ Criminal Code has jail sentence up to 10 years per offense.

Because Dharun is a First Time Offender, he will not get 40 years.. but most probably 4 years in State Prison.

He was found guilty of all other third and fourth degree offenses. He will get probation for all of them with some fine (may be $500 per offense).

5. I do NOT think Dharun's Brown color came into the picture at all.

This is an unnecessary accusation. This is a clear over-reaction, while you call me "out of proportion" :))) Lol.

6. As I said before on this topic, if any parent glorifies a son who has a GPA of 2.88 in High School (and an alleged SAT score of 1100 out of 1600) I call them out as "irresponsible and out of touch with real world competition".

Sorry, if that bothers you.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back