• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What is Fate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Fate?

Fate is the supposed force, principle, or power that predetermines events, as well as the inevitable events predestined by this force. Those who believe in fate, believe (whether directly or indirectly) that their stay on earth has been decided long before they became a resident of said planet. So here we are, an insignificant blurb, on a planet not bigger than a speck of dust (in the grand scheme of things), hurtling (seemingly) endlessly through space, progressing towards some fate decided by the cosmos and therefore out of our understanding. We can, however, at least try to grasp what it truly means to accept fate and then determine whether or not to believe in it. So...

What does it mean to believe in fate?

According to the definition above, fate is a series of inevitable events. To believe in fate, you must believe or accept that you have no idea what is going on, but someone or something does. If you believe that the universe is guided by some unseen force with some form of an ultimate plan, whatever that may be, you have to accept that you don't understand that plan, you don't know that plan, and you'll never understand that plan. Religion simplifies these and many other principles of fate, but most religions still maintain one fundamental concept: we only know in part; no matter the extent of our spiritual enlightenment, we will never fully understand the higher power. Even though religion acknowledges that there are mysterious workings of a supernatural nature, many religions still allege to know how to determine one's fate; but how can you know. If fate is the belief in predetermined, inevitable events, why are there so many explanations, so many religions to elucidate it? Religion attempts to explain its own theory of existence, a theory of fate, but how can you explain the unexplainable?

To Believe or not to Believe

The man, who knows something, knows that he knows nothing at all.” So are you ready to accept that all the knowledge in the world may be relatively useless? Are we as a society ready to have a conception of time that deals with the progression of the human species towards a collective goal? Believing in fate doesn’t mean that we are relegated to a life of simplicity, or that our actions don’t matter, quite the contrary, it means that are actions matter we just don’t understand how. That may sound depressing, but realize that life is in your hands, you can define your purpose. Whether or not that purpose truly matters is debatable, as well as whether or not any purpose can be better than another; but you can define the reason you like “being.” Other than that, you have no way of knowing specifically how you will influence the universe; you can only assume that if you live life passionately, pursuing a life dedicated to wisdom and not knowledge, that your effect will be positive. In this life, that may be as good as it gets.
source; Face book

I do not agree with this post.
The definition and explanations are all based on Abrahamic religion.
From Sanatan Dharma standpoint, we have more say in our fate. Giving the analogy of card game. We are dealt a set of cards (that is our fate), how we play it depends on our skill set and attitude.
Ask a professional bridge player, they will tell you that there are no bad hands, only bad plays.
Similarly we play our life with the given fate, but we can decide how well to play it.

Fate and Destiny

. “ Fate” is normally used in the past tense after the course of event has happened, example:an ill fated plane travel, or train travel..

Destiny the entity is participating in achieving an outcome that is directly related to itself.. Destiny may be seen as a fixed sequence events that is inevitable and unchangeable, or that individuals choose their own destiny by choosing different paths throughout their life.

Destiny can be changed or controlled if a particular path is changed.. once a particular path is taken one is disdained to reach it’s outcome. Destiny is a matter of Choice but Fate is Finality as in the case of Accidents.

In our lives we are often faced with choices presented to us by our environmental circumstances. We have the freedom to chose "a" or "b," but once that decision is made we must accept the reaction to our choice. Thus, life is an interplay of both fate and free will .

Let's consider an example of how this works. Let us say, hypothetically, that one has two choices. He can blame society for the evils he faces and thus try to victimize society by taking to a life of crime to acquire wealth; or he can take responsibility for his situation and try to better himself by education and honest endeavor. Suppose he chooses the first option of crime and robs several establishments. Eventually he will get caught (if not killed first) and sent to jail, a natural reaction for his criminal behavior. But even while in jail he still has options, though more limited than those of a free man. He can choose to be a hardened criminal or to be a model prisoner and reform himself.

Each choice will have a reaction. Thus we can see that life is an intricate interplay of fate/destiny and free will

Last edited:
Whatever is destined to happen will happen. That is why sastras provide ways to change the fate. For example, sakunam (omen) is an indication or symptom. Where one has to suffer major injuries, may escape with minor ones. That is why one has to firmly believe God and live as prescribed in the sastras. It is quite understandable that it is extremely difficult to live according to sastras. In olden days many people observed such things and they escaped . Of course, there were mishap due to lack of knowledge about science , technology and inventions. But still accidents were much less. I have seen families where there were 11 children, 5 children etc. and who had followed such things and none of them had ever been consulted doctors or admitted to hospital.

Whatever is destined to happen will happen. That is why sastras provide ways to change the fate. For example, sakunam (omen) is an indication or symptom. Where one has to suffer major injuries, may escape with minor ones. That is why one has to firmly believe God and live as prescribed in the sastras. It is quite understandable that it is extremely difficult to live according to sastras. In olden days many people observed such things and they escaped . Of course, there were mishap due to lack of knowledge about science , technology and inventions. But still accidents were much less. I have seen families where there were 11 children, 5 children etc. and who had followed such things and none of them had ever been consulted doctors or admitted to hospital.

Sir

You got fate mixed up with Destiny; please read my detailed write up about FATE and Destiny.Destiny is a matter of Choice but Fate is Finality as in the case of Accidents.
One can change the course of Destiny if a different Path is taken, but once it is chosen, the result is inevitable.

Fate, Free Will and Destiny are states of mind.

When we have no control over a situation and the outcome is bad..we feel depressed for a while,many blame God too and later cheer ourselves up by accepting it as FATE.

Free Will is when we are in control of the situation and we like the outcome ..hence we attribute it to our own intelligence and ability and praise ourselves and seldom praise God.

Destiny is when we talk about the future events in uncertain tones as to when and what will happen as in this lyrics

Papa kehte hain bada naam karega
Beta hamara aisa kaam karega
Magar yeh to koi na jaane
Ki meri manzil hai kahan

but when any event happens..the rules of Fate and Free Will as I wrote above will apply.

This is how most human minds think.

Last edited:
Sir

You got fate mixed up with Destiny; please read my detailed write up about FATE and Destiny.Destiny is a matter of Choice but Fate is Finality as in the case of Accidents.
One can change the course of Destiny if a different Path is taken, but once it is chosen, the result is inevitable.

Good explanation.
Fate is defeatism. Destiny has some room for your action.
The destiny of Salmon swimming upstream to its place of birth to spawn is the destiny, but getting eaten by bear on the way is its fate.

Last edited:
In my view, there is no difference between fate and destiny, in our common parlance. Both denote what has been decided to happen and what will ultimately happen.

We are all born with a load of past karmas the results (phala) of which have to be suffered/experienced in the current birth. But, being ordinary mortals, subject to the great force of mAyA, it is often the case that most people harbour a feeling of the so-called "equality" for every one and so on, and then builds many dream palaces for oneself and strives to realize all those dreams. But this does not actually happen unless our past karmas allow some or more of these ambitions. That is how our "free will" and our "fate" or "destiny" interact and always finally fate/destiny prevails.

Fate is a position one is reconciled to, but destiny is pregnant with hopes but guided in action by wisdom derived from fate.

In my view, there is no difference between fate and destiny, in our common parlance. Both denote what has been decided to happen and what will ultimately happen.......
Dear Sangom Sir,

Google translate also gives
the Tamil equivalent as 'விதி' (vidhi) for both fate and destiny.

There is one more word
ஊழ் (oozh) in Tamil which means 'predestination'.

This word is used to denote fate / destiny in the kuraL no. 380.

'ஊழிற் பெருவலி யாவுள மற்றொன்று
சூழினுந் தான்முந் துறும்.'

Translation: ( Source:
TIRUKKURAL English Translation and ... - Project Madurai)

What is stronger than fate? If we think of an expedient (to avert it), it will itself be with us before (the thought)

People often use the words fate and destiny as synonyms, but philosophers throughout the ages believe they have two separate meanings. Even when the two words are used to mean the same thing, fate often takes on negative connotations as is illustrated by the similar words “fatal,” “fateful,” and “fatalism.” Destiny usually suggests a positive result, such as people being more in control of their destinies.

Read more: What Is the Difference Between Fate & Destiny? | eHow What Is the Difference Between Fate & Destiny? | eHow
The concept of free will as it relates to fate and destiny has puzzled philosophers for centuries. Fate shows there are many factors that humans have no control over and destiny reveals that despite sometimes significant limitations, there is freedom, even if it is minimal.

The starting point to shaping our own fate is to abandon the cowardly attitude of blaming other people or our environment for our present unhappiness or mistakes; we must adopt the stance that "everything is our own responsibility." In addition, it is important to change the state of our mind, reflect on the tendencies of our own soul and break free from committing the same mistakes again.

This word is used to denote fate / destiny in the kuraL no. 380.

'ஊழிற் பெருவலி யாவுள மற்றொன்று
சூழினுந் தான்முந் துறும்.'

Translation: ( Source:
TIRUKKURAL English Translation and ... - Project Madurai)

What is stronger than fate? If we think of an expedient (to avert it), it will itself be with us before (the thought)

There is probably no perfect translation for திருவள்ளுவர் 's ஊழ், but Project Madurai's translatiom as fate is an injustice. A more apt translation is perhaps unpredictability of future.

best, dileepan

Okay – lets get back to the OP.

Is our fate pre-determined ?

Let me explain a research that was conducted on twins with Identical DNA (almost) !!. Researchers studied the lives of num of twins separated at birth over decades. Many were separated across Europe & USA due to the 2 great wars.
Some observations from this research:

1. Both had similar education, similar degrees – either both Bachelors, or Masters, or PHD
  2. Both of them had almost identical careers – similar jobs, professions
  3. Both married similar women from similar family backgrounds despite a massive difference in their upbringings.
  4. Both lived up to the same age, both died very close to each other despite NOT knowing each other at all.
  5. Many more similarities.
Apart from this, many recent researchers have suggested, many of our decisions, our life times – how long we will live, are based on DNA.
So if DNA can determine so many things, then our fate is to a large extent determined by the DNA !!. if they are pre-determined, then they can be predicted !!

So look at how our ancestors accurately theorized that our fates are pre-determined & hence they came up with a elaborate method of astrology to predict our future !!. thats why I keep saying, our ancestors were Genius, they did NOT just do some hocus pocus things like some new age people seem to believe. The more science advances, the more it will prove our ancient theories !!

Superstition Vs Science.
1)the Solar eclipse:

superstitions state that an eclipse occurs when the Rahu swallows the sun and vomits it back due to the heat but it is actually the moon passing between the sun and earth and obstructing it from our view for a few minutes.

On the road to my destiny, I may get waylaid by fate, but I will reach my destiny eventually.
I believe in Brahmavakya
Aham Brahmāsmi - I am Brahman.
But my fate in this life is determined by my Karma's, so I may not reach that perfection in this life. But I also believe in talking many births to fulfill my destiny of realizing the Brahman.

Last edited:
Fate is the result of your efforts in your previous births. This is stored and is released like a sustained release capsule. What is now Fate is the result of your past actions. The result of your present actions will be your Fate in your next/following births. Hence , it is nothing but your effort and actions, either done in the past or being done now. This is how Jagadguru Chandrasekhara Bharathi defined them. Sage Vasistha, in his Yoga Vasistha, says ' don't blame fate; it is your past effort/actions.'. Self-effort is the most important teaching of this sage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back