• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What would be the fate/kismet of Dharun Ravi? An Excellent Portrait in The New Yorker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks,

I want to present a view from the LGBT community on this case. Here is a link of a weekly program called Gay USA. If there is to be a public voice of the LGBT community this program is certainly at the top of the list of candidates. The discussion of the case starts at about 2:56 minutes and lasts for about 10 to 15 minutes.

https://www.freespeech.org/video/gay-usa-march-20-26-2012

This is how thoughtful people look at this case. Since Y has taken a very strong and unyielding position on this case I wish he would take a few minutes to watch this discussion.

Cheers!

Sri Yamaka Said:

This is totally beyond being funny! Is this not exactly the attitude that the HS person was talking about? That the straight folks tell the HS folks that their situation is normal? Without making a true transformation, while pushing for knee jerk laws against homophobia?

Instead of introspecting on what this person with poignancy was saying, our friend here is suspecting whether this guy is for real!

I guess what one chooses not to listen to, does not exist!

Regards,
KRS

sh.krs, i think, the underlined word is too a harsh one.

whats funny out there, when jurors have given an unanimous verdict?

frankly, i'm on to the other side, who believes LGBT is a curable one. This is not the problem of the west, but in conservative societies like India, we found good solutions to that. Even when in school,few of my mates, who sounded like feminie, and went behind teen boys, are now normal like any one, busy changing diapers of their kids.

but, hate crime/bias intimidation towards LGBT is not acceptable, come what the religion says, and i believe no religion says so, at least now.. I think, uncle Yams has really presented the points , shared to the jurors about dharun on this case.

I was wondering if im missing any point here..

((((Since Y has taken a very strong and unyielding position on this case I wish he would take a few minutes to watch this discussion. )))

you could add my name too.. some where down the line i had a soft corner for Dharun for being a Tamilian, but then when i closed my eyes with that black strip of cloth, and lifted that proverbial weighing balance, i felt, dharun should get minimum 10 years R.I..

and his foolishness of loosing his plea deal, if that was the case with any of my 2 small kids, as a father, i would have sat with them, and shook the collar to tell the truth.. or would have taken my kid for a walk along the beach to tell the truth.. if my kid has said, whats said in the OP page article (shared by Yamaka), I would have forced by kid, plugging the collar to kneel down and touch the feet of the judge to accept the plea deal.. another probablity is, my kid would have lied to me, thinking the rich father would bail him out of this case by hiring a million dollar an hour lawyer.. may me, my wife would have forced me to do that and I would have obliged.. but then, minutes after judgement, I would have addressed the press "My son erred.. Mr.Mrs Clementi's pls apologize my son'....I would not have gone for appeal..

Last edited by a moderator:
- this poor kid has shown courage of his conviction. I would be proud to call him my own son.

Hopefully the law under which he is convicted will be thrown out as unconstitutional.

Regards,
KRS

sh.krs, i always admired you as a person of sharp shoot, but was quite embarrassed here..

reminds me of harry Belafonte's "In the words of the famous Rudyard Kipling out here" "dont shoot the messenger" :)

few queries..

1) what makes you feel proud of him.. you mean, he rejected the bail plea, fought the case in the court and got rid? i was wondering why you would be proud to accept any one as a son, who was convicted on all the 15 counts the prosecution has made... Or is it just a love towards a son, come what he does, he is a son, and I love love.. I think, no one would object you if you take this last stand.

2) or there is a good probablity, the entire judicial system of U.S is all a humbug. I have a problem with them for handing over Capital Punishments, while to whole world is exiting out of it, starting with E.U. apart from that, i find, u.s judicial system is far better than rest, fairly.

3) coming to your last line.. which part of the u.s law used in dharuns trial needs to be thrown out as unconstitutional? bias intimidation or intrusion of privacy or tampering witness? you may be surprised, all these 3 parts of law are quite in force across the world, even in Red China/ lands Sharia/russia and very much in India.. awaiting your response, so eagerly.

Dear brother Nara Ji,

I agree with your pov on this.

One element for the conviction in my opinion is that a scapegoat had to be found for a suicide.

I wonder what the suicide note had said.

But suicides and accompanying notes happen all the time. Even if a note points a finger at a person as the reason for the suicide, I do not think that there is a single law in any country that would take any legal action against the person so accused.

Regards,
KRS

just for information.. The prosecution was quite clear in not charging him in line with suicide. even during trial, the judge has put a clear cut full stop when both the prosecution and Steven Altman tried to bring in the point, to gain some sympathetic points with the jurors. thats a good move by prosecution here. had it been in India, the first thing the police do is to add this charge in FIR.

btw, the law across the world is quite serious about Suicide note, and it bears the highest weight-age than any testimony, even if its from the victims parents.

JK and others,

Read this interview Dharun has given. Finding him guilty of hate crime is a travesty. The tragedy of Tyler's death has been compounded by this. Two families have been devastated because of the society’s difficulties to come to grips with homophobia.

Exclusive interview with Dharun Ravi: 'I'm very sorry about Tyler' | NJ.com

having gone through the entire link, few points expressed by dharun drove a punch about the missed deal..

I’m not the same person I was two years ago," he said. "I don’t even recognize the person I was two years ago."That person, Ravi admits, was immature. And did some stupid things. And was insensitive to Tyler Clementi’s feelings.

he is saying now.. off late, that too after being convicted, but had he said the same what he said to press in the court room a testimony, it would have made the difference. Alas!, his lawyer asked him to dodge that part..

Interestingly, this what Yams prophesied in post # 69 (just a day before judgement), when i asked uncle Yams, why dharun has not given his testimony to jurors ( but now off late dharun is shedding crocodile tears with press).. Yams prophesied the same 10 days ago, what dharun is saying today, off late...

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...run-ravi-excellent-portrait-new-yorker-7.html

YAMAKA's Prophecy ((
(("I was just a 18 year old teenager, barely about a month in my College. Perhaps, I was a bit stupid in my youthful indiscretion; I am not an anti-gay, I am not a bigot. I am very remorseful of my stupid actions on Sep 19 and Sep 21 2010.

I apologize to my room mate late Tyler Clementi, his parents and family." I am sure the Jurors will allow him to walk "not guilty".

Now, he has missed that golden opportunity. Again, a very poor act by the Defense Lawyer!
)

but then, as yamaka said, had he admitted this, the court prosecution would have ripped him, though jurors would have shown some mercy on him, as an young lad.

as a layman, it only gives me a feel, dharun had no remorse, and he tried every opportunity to escape, but when nailed by court, he is now opening up. whats the use..

i remember sh.kunjuppu's words ' accept the mistake and move on'.. there is a better life beyond. i would always tell this to my children.

Poor Dharun Ravi is unfortunate to have good parents/parenting. As the King so are the subjects.

Neither he was been brought up properly nor he is been guided/advised by his parents even now.

Hope uncle Yams would join here for this debate..

Darun got only 30 days of sentence! sad, not enough!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back