• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Volunteers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? I thought I did :)

"Mr. Iyengar could not join the conference call "

rxrajamo said:
Hi all,

I had the pleasure of individually discussing with Mr. Iyengar & Mr.Silver Fox reg US volunteer activities. Mr. Iyengar could not join the conference call earlier because of thunderstorm activities in his area. My sincere thanks to both of them.

The following is a brief of what we discussed

1) We (US volunteers) would take active part in all activities of the forum.

2) We would work to increase awareness of our activities among other members of the community in USA.

3) We would also wholeheartedly help in all fund raising activities.

But we all look upto forum members & volunteers in India to translate all plans into action.

We are of the opinion that we need to have a net meeting with Pravin, Balaji and other volunteers in India to plan our org and future activities.
I have already sent an invitation to all volunteers in India and abroad to have a combined net meeting.

How about having one a couple of weeks from now ? Let us say on July 22nd, India time 7:30 am (US July 21st EST 10:00 pm; PST 7:00 pm). Hopefully Pravin will be back by then. Please let me know.

Ramki

Dear JSIyengar:

I was the guy who missed our conference call due to severe thunderstorms in my area (I live in the Metropolitan Washington (DC) area. My Internet, phone service were all out.
Anyway, Ramki meant to mention me; instead, by oversight, he mentioned your name as a no-show!! Sorry about that!
I am looking forward to our next one!
Take care

Just giving Ramki a hard time :) Talk to you soon

silverfox said:
Dear JSIyengar:

I was the guy who missed our conference call due to severe thunderstorms in my area (I live in the Metropolitan Washington (DC) area. My Internet, phone service were all out.
Anyway, Ramki meant to mention me; instead, by oversight, he mentioned your name as a no-show!! Sorry about that!
I am looking forward to our next one!
Take care

Conference call

Praveen , will u be present , it is important to have u

I am fine to attend

Even member 'thodi ' will be keen, he in usa

let me first send u all an email alaias with volunteers who have identified themselves

Balaji

Thanks Balaji. Hopefully all members who are also interested will attend. I would request active participation from all members in volunteering activities. This is the need of the hour. I will narrate a small incident my grandfather told me about Gandhiji. Once a very rich man came to Gandhiji and gave lots of money (my grandfather said in thousands those days) to help the ashram take care of poor. Gandhiji just said a simple thanks. One of the ashramites asked Gandhiji as to why he did not thank the man profusely and why he did not acknowledge the man's genorosity. Gandhiji in his own way curtly said "Giving money to the needy is not charity. It is the duty of every human being to help fellow human beings. The rich man is just doing his duty". Similarly, it is our duty to help fellow community members.

Now that admissions have started for colleges, we need to gear up to help some students this academic year. I had a quick question to members in Chennai on this. I heard from a friend that some colleges like Vaishnava college have evening classes too and admissions to those classes are not so difficult. Is it true ? If so can we support some students to join these classes this year ?

Also, probably we can identify some college/higher secondary students and help them attend NIIT or APTECH or some reputed computer courses. This might be easier as most of the courses run at the maximum for a couple of years.

Balaji, can you help identify such students ? We need to move fast so that we are not late for admissions.

Ramki

Education for needy brahmins

Hi Ramki,

I am very glad things are moving

Few things to note

1. First of all we need more volunteers in chennai area , I can do my very best but one individual can only help so much. The people whom I know are children of archakas who need help in educating them in school, but I can find out college level students who might need help.

2. I am a Senior Executive in a Large company and I am really squeezing in some time for doing whatever I can , I am writing NOT as a Compalint or anything , I love doing whatever for our community, this because many members in the site are thinking I am part of this association or whatever. This is just a virtual community , no one owns it or anything , of course Praveen has done an excellent job of creating something from which we can build on .

3. I will this weeknd create the email alias as a first good step so that atleast volunteers can start getting active in whatever way we can.

4. I wish to be a volunteer only on education and related activities , with the limited time we have we cant focus on too many things day one . I can make sure right people get the money and it is used the right way. I cannot really get into issues on health/hospitalization funds etc as we might need another set of Volunteers for the same

5. We have no idea how much funds we can really collect and if it will be sustainable . We need to discuss this at length on a call . Even for calls etc we will need some minimum funding , any ideas

6. Also I feel there are smaller cities in TN which will have needy students than chennai , we need to see volunteers in that space

Regards

I am writing this again if someone can help, I saw a posting in this site , someone saying they want to contribute 10000Rs on his fathers rememberance , there is someone needy , can the gentleman identify himself

For me to creat email alias, I need email ids of JS Iyengar,Silverfox, cheenus, thodi, praveen,rxrajamo, please send me

Yes, we must try to exploit every opportunity available and help our kids come up. Nothing wrong on the front of evening college. I know in vivekanadna all guys who were studying in evening colegae is in great position today

Sponsor students

We should get cost sheets done of educating a student thru distant education. Consider all aspects enrolment, tuition fees, exam fees, books, internet access, travel cost of attending contact programs. More than one sponsor can share the cost of educating a student.

Publish the cost sheets in this forum, provide biodata of student(s) who need financial help. Donors (shall I say sponsors) will be allocated students. The fees will be paid by demand draft in favour of the institution. The Sponsor and the student may continue to be in touch by email. The sponsor can do his bit in empowering the student to perform and excel.

Sponsors – surely you will find many – from abroad, from rest of the country and from Tamil Nadu.

The aim will be bring out the best from the students and develop them impress upon them to return to the community later on when they start earning. The sponsor does not just pay for education, the sponsor should also drive the student to the hall of fame.

I have an idea. Why dont we issue an ad in some local newspaper, say in Triplicane where many Brahmins live, requesting poor students who need help to register at our forum or call one of our Chennai volunteers. That way we can get this going. I think Praveen issued an ad somedays back on a local news media. We can do a similar one but highlighting the fact that we are ready to help some needy students. We can say we can sponsor as many students as we can this year. Probably this will generate more requests for help. I am a little frustrated at the fact that we dont have any list of students who are out there crying for help. Any idea how much the ads cost ?

Ramki

A very good idea, Ramki! I like that. I am sure Praveen is looking into this. Perhaps we could advertise (for free) in religious magazines such as 'Narasimha Priya' and, magazines published by the Kanchi Matt.

hai
this idea was given to this post very long back.probably no one looked into it.but this idea is gud so that our work becomes easier.
thnk u

Mythreyi I did not see it either. But if we all feel it is an idea worth pursuing let us get moving. Probably Pravin can investigate and let us all know how to proceed on this.

trust how many people buy narasimha priya or other devotaional magazine. Invariable it is purchased by well todo brahmins. We must mention through informal channesl in all brhmin functions.

Hi Sarathy:
It was just a suggestion. Besides, even the well-to-do Brahmins can spread the word around thru word-of-mouth. Since we are a non-profit organization, it would be great if we can get them to publish for free; what have we got to lose?

yes i feel it is faster and effective. Take the case of meenakshi.
She reached us through the email. Somebody verified and many helped. We must try to network ourself very seriously by all ways electronic and personal

Dear Sarathy:
I just wanted to add that many people buy Narasimha Priya not because they are well-to-do. Many buy them because they may be very pious; most importantly, they buy them to look for matrimonial matches. Even my sister used to get it when she was looking for a groom for her daughter.

prpsarathy said:
trust how many people buy narasimha priya or other devotaional magazine. Invariable it is purchased by well todo brahmins. We must mention through informal channesl in all brhmin functions.

Hi subalaji:

Sorry for the delayed response. My e-mail address is : [email protected]

Hi rxrajamo:

When have you scheduled the next meeting? Please do let me know

JS

subalaji said:
For me to creat email alias, I need email ids of JS Iyengar,Silverfox, cheenus, thodi, praveen,rxrajamo, please send me

JS

I had proposed a meeting of all volunteers (from all over the world:)) this weekend. Got only a couple of positive replies. So not sure if we want to scehdule one :(

Balaji:
I have sent a private message to you with my email address.

Hi

I am from atlanta, I just joined your forum.
I am interested in volunteering for whatever you guys are doing.

Iam also interested in attending the conference call. if somebody can give me the call details

Prakash

Welcome Rookie. I will send an invite when we hv the next conf call. In the meanwhile, please take an active part in the forum.

For volunteers in USA how about a call this weekend ? Would Saturday evening 7:00 pm work for everyone ? If not how about on Sunday morning say by 10:00 am ? Please let me know.

BTW Praveen would you be able to attend ?

Thanks

Ramki:
Since we have people from all time zones, perhaps you might want to clarify that all times you refer to are Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).
Praveen, Sunday morning 10 am USA EDT is Indian Time 7:30 pm Sunday evening for you.
By the way, Sunday morning (US) is good for me.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back