• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vegetarianism, rising prices of food commodities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course always the weather is the main cause for the hiking the agro commodity prices..Earlier the onion price was touched rs 70-74 per kg as ever before.But the union govt bring down the prices between 50-60 rs per kg.It is all because for its radical steps in taking the export-import policy.By the way of arrivals China onions in to the market..

Expecting a few eminent persons to lead and guide us is not going to take us anywhere. There must be a social movement to protect our rare natural resources and species and ourselves too.

I would recommend that several NGOs (not those embroiled in any controversies) and government departments/agencies should join hands to collect vast data and come out with their findings and concrete suggestions/recommendations.

As Brahmanyan has observed the inflation especially the rise in the prices of vegetables, milk and petrol has affected every section of the society. So, any solution shall be to protect all and acceptable to all.

Some suggestions from me:

1. Spreading the habit of kitchen gardens (but what about availability of water in all places?)
2. Some amount of incentive/subsidy from government's side
3. Banning export of sensitive commodities before it is too late (From Charan Singh's period, allowing exports of certain produce/commodity and again
permitting imports of the same one at much higher price is happening)
4. Allowing imports with restrictions and close monitoring, wherever necessary.
5. Banning online trading in certain basic commodities like foodgrains and cereals, pulses, sugar, edible oil, cotton etc.
6. Taking stringent action against black marketeers and hoarders.
7. Establishing 'uzhavar sandhais' (rythyu bazar) throughout the country.
8. Encouraging, subsidising, funding and establishing cold storages all over the country.
9. Procuring certain commodities/produces directly from farmers and distributing them through Fair Price Shops - at three different prices/rates.
(a) At rock bottom prices (say,10% of market prices) for the downtrodden, tribals, destitutes and orphans
(b) At 25% of the prevailing marketing prices to people below poverty line (BPL)
(c) At 60% of the prevailing marketing prices to people above poverty line (APL) up to certain income levels so as to include people up to upper
middle income groups.

Dear Sri Pannvalan,

At the outset I wish to confide that I am neither an expert nor do I have practical knowledge in the subject of agriculture. I am just a middle class consumer.

It is my view that no social movement can succeed unless it was led by an eminent individual, or leader(s). Otherwise it will fall into the hands of self seeking individuals, like the ones we see today in the political world.

Regarding NGOs in our Country, I have seen some work very well but most are just "headlines" in news media, to continue getting foreign money. I wish this subject may be taken as a separate thread for discussions.

I agree with all your suggestions except the last item 9. Even now Governments procure some essential food items from farmers direct. But, Public distribution of essential commodities through Fair Price Shops is absolute failure (at least in Bangalore / Karnataka).Interestingly statistics are reeled out about Public distribution on the basis of supply through Fair Price Shops. Frequent reports in news media of Lorry loads of procured Rice transported to other States support this .

Regarding Government subsidies to Agriculturists, if you talk to a farmer, you will understand how the system works.

Applying simple theory of economics, the "Demand and Supply" is enough to contain prices. But this is not done by the Government. The Ministries of Agriculture and Finance are responsible for the appalling price increase. Minister for Agriculture says his ministry is not responsible for price rise and RBI and Finance Ministry do not know the cause for the price rise. They are interested in giving out statistics. In the mean while cruel joke is played on the common man by Petroleum Ministry by increasing the Fuel prices every month, with out bothering to reduce the Taxes, or examining the possibility of common pricing all over the Country for Petroleum products.

As inflation has touched uncontrollable heights, Rupee has lost its value completely, it is better to revalue the Rupee now as it was done by France in 1960 for French Franc.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri Pannvalan,

At the outset I wish to confide that I am neither an expert nor do I have practical knowledge in the subject of agriculture. I am just a middle class consumer.

It is my view that no social movement can succeed unless it was led by an eminent individual, or leader(s). Otherwise it will fall into the hands of self seeking individuals, like the ones we see today in the political world.

Regarding NGOs in our Country, I have seen some work very well but most are just "headlines" in news media, to continue getting foreign money. I wish this subject may be taken as a separate thread for discussions.

I agree with all your suggestions except the last item 9. Even now Governments procure some essential food items from farmers direct. But, Public distribution of essential commodities through Fair Price Shops is absolute failure (at least in Bangalore / Karnataka).Interestingly statistics are reeled out about Public distribution on the basis of supply through Fair Price Shops. Frequent reports in news media of Lorry loads of procured Rice transported to other States support this .

Regarding Government subsidies to Agriculturists, if you talk to a farmer, you will understand how the system works.

Applying simple theory of economics, the "Demand and Supply" is enough to contain prices. But this is not done by the Government. The Ministries of Agriculture and Finance are responsible for the appalling price increase. Minister for Agriculture says his ministry is not responsible for price rise and RBI and Finance Ministry do not know the cause for the price rise. They are interested in giving out statistics. In the mean while cruel joke is played on the common man by Petroleum Ministry by increasing the Fuel prices every month, with out bothering to reduce the Taxes, or examining the possibility of common pricing all over the Country for Petroleum products.

As inflation has touched uncontrollable heights, Rupee has lost its value completely, it is better to revalue the Rupee now as it was done by France in 1960 for French Franc.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Shri Brahmanyan Sir,

The one major reason for the recent price rise is allowing foreign investment in retail trade, or, in common man's language, the mall culture. Even before FDI was allowed, our crorepatis like reliance invested huge amounts in commodity futures and blocked all future supplies to market of pulses, cereals, grains, etc. in the case of vegetables they have become "super middle men" advancing money and cornering all stock from the traditional middlemen who could only have limited ability to manipulate markets.

just as example, i used to find a long stretch of the main arterial road before the victoria zoo and Byculla station in mumbai years ago with truckloads of tomatos, carrots, cabbage, and other vegetables over which the traffic grinding these to pulp, emitting bad smell, inviting flies, etc. when i enquired why, i was told by a local resident that it is a common routine, the wholesalers will never sell at lower prices but destroy it and their goondas will prevent even poor folks if they try to snatch something for their home use! if the situation was like this some years ago, you can imagine the ability of reliance and like industrial houses!!

and no govt - central or state - is powerful in front of these rich people. Foreign investment is only making the problem more severe. goi is terrified and helpless once obama uncle takes the cane in his hand!!

Shri Brahmanyan Sir,

The one major reason for the recent price rise is allowing foreign investment in retail trade, or, in common man's language, the mall culture. Even before FDI was allowed, our crorepatis like reliance invested huge amounts in commodity futures and blocked all future supplies to market of pulses, cereals, grains, etc. in the case of vegetables they have become "super middle men" advancing money and cornering all stock from the traditional middlemen who could only have limited ability to manipulate markets.

just as example, i used to find a long stretch of the main arterial road before the victoria zoo and Byculla station in mumbai years ago with truckloads of tomatos, carrots, cabbage, and other vegetables over which the traffic grinding these to pulp, emitting bad smell, inviting flies, etc. when i enquired why, i was told by a local resident that it is a common routine, the wholesalers will never sell at lower prices but destroy it and their goondas will prevent even poor folks if they try to snatch something for their home use! if the situation was like this some years ago, you can imagine the ability of reliance and like industrial houses!!

and no govt - central or state - is powerful in front of these rich people. Foreign investment is only making the problem more severe. goi is terrified and helpless once obama uncle takes the cane in his hand!!

Dear Sri Sarma,

Indeed it is true that the vegetable trade has gone into the hands of "mighty" nationals . But don't you agree for that matter all trades have been captured by multi- nationals by destroying small bunk shops and "cash and carry" systematically. This is the danger about which Gandhiji was cautioning time and again.

The Government under Super economist PM has turned every welfare activity of the past into business propositions whether it is Good Roads or Medical facility.

I hope now Sri Krishna will keep up his words by taking an Avatar for the protection of the helpless and re-establish Dharma.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Mhatma Gandhi said,"it is the best government that governs the least"

We find governmental interference every where and that too with vested interest.

How can one expect, that common man's interest is safeguarded?

As has Sesan, ex-election commission head, said India need one more Gandhi, a smaller Gandhi would do too.

Mhatma Gandhi said,"it is the best government that governs the least"

We find governmental interference every where and that too with vested interest.

How can one expect, that common man's interest is safeguarded?

As has Sesan, ex-election commission head, said India need one more Gandhi, a smaller Gandhi would do too.

VPK,

Gandhi was more an idealist and his opinion did not IMO take into account the real moral caliber of our people - rich and poor. if there is less government, the corruption, greed and all other dark sides will be captured by the middlemen, high castes and the rich, into their realm. what we see is the utter lack of moral stature in our rulers, who are supposed to be elite and having exemplary standing, both in their personal lives and public actions.

When prices of essential commodities and vegetables are soaring sky-high, here is the Menu card of a canteen.
Tea Re. 1
Soup Rs.5.50
Dal - one katori Rs.1.50
Veg thali (dal, subzi,4 chapatis, rice/pulao, curd and salad) Rs.12.50
Non-veg thali Rs.22
Curd rice Rs.11
Veg pulao Rs.8
Rajma rice Rs.7
Tomato rice Rs.7
Chapati Re.1 a piece
One plate rice Rs.2
Dosa Rs.4
Kheer - one katori Rs.5.50
Fruit cake Rs.9.50
Fruit salad Rs.7

Can’t believe.This is the menu card of Indian Parliament Canteen.
It is meant for our poor MP s whose salary is
Rs.80000 per month!!Plus so many allowances.

The food prices were last revised in 2004.

A 15-member joint parliamentary committee on food management headed by then MP K. Yerranaidu of the Telugu Desam Party was constituted in 2005 to consider revision of the rates and the service.
The committee didn't give any report and the rates were not revised.

Dear Sri Saarangam,

Unbelievable ! Perhaps these are the "Aam Aadmi" about which the Ruling Party is concerned much. No wonder our Members of Parliament do not understand the price rise of essential commodities.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Many people may not know the price paid by our poor netas for the eatables consumed by them at the parliament house.Once every hungry citizen comes to know of this,all these fellows may have to go to the doctor with the symptom of stomach pain.

Sir:

This is quite true. They help themselves to the best of comforts in life and
still have the nerve to talk about eradication of poverty.

My learned friend has forgotten the 'other income' - getting bribes for giving
licences, the biggest cake coming from telecom licences and RTCM ( road
toll collection and maintenance contracts ), buying power from private
power-generators, pharma licences and banning of some drugs to please
some people and at the same time allowing high-prices for some life-saving
drugs of MNCs and large indigenous producers and many more.

You can now see the logic of DMK demanding such key portfolios. They fool
the educated and uneducated alike with chemmozhi, hindi-tamil divide,
brahmin-nonbrahmin issues, support for dalits, giving Tvs and all such
non-issues. We vote for them. Only a Revolution can bring a change !

There was a newspaper report which quotes Sharad Pawar that onion prices have fallen to Rs.6/kg. and he has chided the UP govt. for letting the prices drop!

I am enraged to the extent that we all give him Rs.30 each and a bag and demand 5 kilos each.

Just because Indians are not aroused like the Tunisians and the Egyptians, the insouciance of the rulers will continue.....

Regards,
Swami

It is sad that we are caught in a web inadvertently from which we are unable to extricate ourselves.There is no single party in this country which we can trust and vote for good governance.All the fellows have a hidden agenda of looting the public when they contest the elections. Now it is the time Lord Krishna fulfills his assurance that He will take birth when Dharama is trampled upon by the wicked.

It is sad that we are caught in a web inadvertently from which we are unable to extricate ourselves.There is no single party in this country which we can trust and vote for good governance.All the fellows have a hidden agenda of looting the public when they contest the elections. Now it is the time Lord Krishna fulfills his assurance that He will take birth when Dharama is trampled upon by the wicked.

Krishna did not say he would go by your or my judgment of whether dharma is depressed (glaani); the gita sloka looks like saying that he himself will have to be convinced of it. So, since Krishna has not yet come again, till now it should be convincing proof for every one believing BG, that dharma is still quite safe and unharmed!!

a control over corruption is the immediate requirement of the day. No political party can rise to theoccasin and help common man. Why cannot we try for a military rule for a short span- clean the slate and start from one again. I think this can work as at present to a greater extent. when the corruption is stopped and crores of rupees in and outside India brought in it can be used to develop agriculture/industry/transportation. There are bare lands in Gujarat/Andhra etc (unlike in Kerala where it is concrete jungle)cultivate rice/veg/fruits/transport to all states. Here the prices are risen only to give money to political parties for leaders pocket and for election.

Dear Shri.kr Subramanian,
Corruption is rampant in the Military also at higher levels.Because of discipline in the military,things do not come up in the open.Recently we see in newspapers about corruption in the military.The freedom we now have to express our opinion will be the first casuality once military rule is established.

I know that Lord Krishna does not descend and take avatar at our will.It is the utter helplessness and dejection at the state of affairs that we forced to face by the present political system,it is only our prayer to the Almighty to bring about a change for good as no human effort is capable of mending the present rot.

not only food prices but all cost of living will soar and soar only. my provision shopkeeper tells that in provisions and vegetables, the large retail stores purchse in advance for crores of rupees. growers have to sell to them only. not much comes to the open market.

but m.s. swaminathan and dr. kurien are not the people to do good for country but only to themselves. mss spoiled india's seed stock selling to U.S. and they have patented - basmati case only is known outside. mss junior who exposed the wrongdoings of mss was most likely kicked out. kurien spoiled the indigenous cattle stock and its effects will come to know in a few more years. now big effort is made to preserve one native cow variety of trichur side in kerala (vecchur, i think) with vandana siva's effort. so that some milk yielding native cow will be available suited for our climate andd feed. these two people are from that group who did not know what is good for country but only what is good for their fame.

Sir allow me to express my opinion here. You are a bit hard on the 2 persons - one a father of green revolution and another of white revolution and the many who faithfully followed them. Before that we were relying on PL-480 for food. Again milk was not just available then, but now flows. These two things have made a lot difference to Indian's physique. As for the rising prices, blame the politicians and the middlemen and the traders.:mmph:

We are 101 per cent corruption ourselves. Military dictatorship will not work in these days. Those were days when people were not this corrupt. The problem is that everyone of us want to become a dictator. In the recent sky-rocketing prices, poliiticians', middlemen's, and traders' hands were there. Our problem is if we do not like DMK, we go to AIADMK, and their constituents only shift places. The minimum first reaction by voters should be never to vote a turncoat ever, even if he is mellowed down to become a mahatma. We are inflating the gambling bets (shares) and scoop down to mint gold. If we downsize our wants, the 'magnetic power' in the ether will lose grip of the prices. Can cats tie bells on their own neck?!

Last edited:
Yes. But what have you done to Seshan? Everybody dropped him as if he is hot brick. Everybody blames government. Why not for a change, blame the wholesalers, middlemen, traders,etc. who have no conscience of their own to resist the anti-people stance? We have 4 bad leaders hauling many minnows along with, the leader of the congress party, the PM,FM and HM. The foursome are the 'chaarminars' of our deceptive economy.You still need a good and smart politician with an inclination to do good for the country. None of the 4 fill the bill; I doubt they might even 10 births hereafter.

Dear Sri "Iyyarooraan",

Nobody dropped Seshan, in fact he was appreciated and supported for initiating measures to have free and fair elections. But his own ego expressed in loud words and unwanted obstinacy brought him down. I agree with your views on the "Charminar", but where is the alternative? The TINA factor retains the known devils, Congress and DMK like parties to rule. Corruption has permeated itself in every activity, it is now omnipresent and omnipotent and rules (or ruins) the Country, because of inadequacy of corrective measures and the attitude of "law will take its own course" which is long and time consuming.
Well, I do not give up hope. Miracles do happen. How and when is decided by forces that are beyond our knowledge.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Sir:

First I thought that from rising prices we have strayed. But on second thoughts
I think you are exploring the root cause. You are right. We are right. But when
it comes to the question of electing a government, we elect these incorrigibly
corrupt, morally and mentally bankrupt politicians only. And then we sulk.

In Madras, we have all the lakes converted into multi-storeyed buildings,
big office and shopping complexes and malls, thus depriving the city of both
overground water and underground water in course of time. In the name of
industrialisation, agricultural lands are converted into industrial estates and
the production of foodgrains is affected. From the cultivation of rice and
wheat, farmers have moved into lucrative sugarcane and other crops.
Traders hoard the grains thus creating scarcity artificially. GOI allows the
growers to export thus depleting the local availablity of essential goods.
At the root of all these, money changes hands. Politicians acquire lands
at cheaper prices in advance knowing that some developments schemes are
in the offing and they sell it to the government at very high prices. Widening
of the highways is one example.

At the root of all these is corruption. Politicians and goondas and hired
killers humble any opposition.

I do not think Lord Krishna is going to come. We have to fend for ourselves.
It is mentioned in the puranas that Kalki avatar will come at the end of the
kali yuga, and many years to go.

Dear Sri "Iyyarooraan",

Nobody dropped Seshan, in fact he was appreciated and supported for initiating measures to have free and fair elections. But his own ego expressed in loud words and unwanted obstinacy brought him down.

An year back I was present in a function in which Seshan was the chief guest. At the end of the presentation, everyone dispersed for tea. I buttonholed him and voiced my concern over acquisition of wetlands for industry. To my dismay, he spoke that it has became a necessity for growth, in his imperious tone.
We have to give him credit that he is due for, but all the while I feel that he is as wily as any politician aided by the sophistication of a bureaucrat.

Rgds.,

An year back I was present in a function in which Seshan was the chief guest. At the end of the presentation, everyone dispersed for tea. I buttonholed him and voiced my concern over acquisition of wetlands for industry. To my dismay, he spoke that it has became a necessity for growth, in his imperious tone.
We have to give him credit that he is due for, but all the while I feel that he is as wily as any politician aided by the sophistication of a bureaucrat.

Rgds.,

I had an opportunity to work under a very senior and very straightforward (as far as I could judge) IAS officer. That was the time when Seshan was at the pinnacle of glory as CEC. My boss who was generally soft-spoken and rarely criticised others had narrated many aspects of Seshan who was his subordinate at one time; these were not at all flattering of Seshan. Incidentally another person whom he was critical about was the now famous (?) Suresh Kalmadi; since I did not know much about both these persons I did not enquire further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back