• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Unity among Tamil Brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a new entrant to this forum. In some discussions I went through I read some one saying, we tamil brahmins are helpless and so on .....

When Jayendra Swamigal's image was tarnished in 2004 just before Tsunami .... the unity of Tamil Brahmins was seen and our helplessness was glaringly visible ..... Much was talked about whether the christian or muslim religion would have tolerated such 'nonsense' if it had happened to their 'leaders'.

What needs to be done to bring unity among Brahmins and rise to occasions whenever need arises ? Can we discuss on this issue ?

Sridhar

Shridhar99,

Let us not forget that several leaders came out in support of jayendra swami (including fellow seers like Sri Ravi Shankar; and political leaders like LK Advani, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Ex-president Venkatraman and Ex-prime minister Chandrashekhar).

So Jayendra Swami did receive a lot of support from the high end.

Vajpayee had even spoken to Shivraj Patil regarding the arrest.

I also remember reading newspaper reports where VHP vowed revenge for the arrest.

Lastly, let us not forget that jayendra swami was arrested at the behest of another tambram, Jayalalitha.

Last edited:
Yes I do remember all that you have stated. But where were the common people. Political intervention or peer seers intervention was not the one which was required. What was more required was the "masses" , the community , the tamil brahmins, common people..... where were they hiding ? when we (brahmins) ourselves have a doubt in our mind that the episode of Jayendra Swamigal could probably be "true" then where is the question of unity. We ourselves dont believe our own leader. Do you call this Unity ? ..... A blind faith on our leader was required. But we started questioning ourselves ..... that's what I am talking about ....

With due respects to individual views, I am pained to say that we are proving time and again that unity is yet to be seen amongst tamil brahmins.

Dear Sridhar99,
I think that even in Tamilnadu many Tamilbrahmins are not devotees of Kanchi Madam.Some families follow Shringeri Madam.In some other thread one member mentioned that ADI SANKARA established only four madams at Sringeri,Dwaraka,Badrinath and Puri.This madam and some other
madams call their leaders as SANKARACHARYAS.
IN modern days Ramakrishna mutt,Chinmaya Mission, SWAMI Dayananda Saraswathi,Sri Sri Ravisankar and many modern Gurus have got sizable number of followers.We have also followers of Srivaishnava mutts,Raghavendra mutt etc.Just like Christianity(Roman Catholics) We do not have one Leader for the entire world. Once I travelled with young BOHRA Muslim girls and learnt that they have only one Spiritual Leader and all the followers(from different parts of World) will assemble at that place and the local Bohra Muslims will make arrangements for the entire community and bear the cost.When Sri.Jayendra Saraswathi was arrested, my neighbour in Chennai a SV told me that he agreed for demolition of some
sacred place within Tirupathi Temple and now he is paying penalty for this mistake.
Many regular devotees who used to visit Kanchi Mutt when Kanchi PERIYAVA was alive were somehow not happy with what was going on after his demise.I have myself heard some complaints and I may not like to go public.
BY nature this community has not developed UNITY among themselves.Why speak about our community,there is no unity within a small unit called'Family'.
We can look deep into the issue and if possible try for unity among TBs.

Basically Brahmins are intelligent individuals. It is difficult to expect unity among such people. Thus there is no unity among the Tamil Brahmins even on issues affecting the community. But let us not involve the criminal case instituted against the Kanchi Acharya in this.
Only sad part is that Hindus in general and Brahmins in particular did not raise up against indignities inflicted on him like showing his police enquiry on TV etc. and no leading member of the bar from Tamil Nadu came forward to represent him.

Lack of political support for Brahmin Community in Tamil Nadu is another important factor. If I am not wrong there is only one member from Brahmin Community in Tamil Nadu Assembly. Some years ago in Karnataka, DD showed a Kannada play depicting Brahmin priest stealing in the Temple was caught by other caste member etc. The whole Brahmin community in Karnataka protested against this. A procession led by Brahmin leaders from various Political parties went to DD Studios and forced the DD to withdraw the Play with apologies. As a minority community, it is imperative that Brahmins should regain the confidence and respect among all Communities. Exclusiveness will sideline Brahmins from the main Political issues.

But let us not forget what ever we do should be for the benefit of the society as a whole "Sarve Janah Sukhino Bhavanthu".

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore

Last edited:
Unity among Tamil Brahmins

Our religion has no single leader; there are so many schisms and mutts and each indivdual is free to change his allegiance according to his/her wishes and best judgment. There are many among the smartas who not only consider Sringeri as their religious guru, but also firmly believe that the Kanchi mutt was a new addition during the 20th. century and hence not an authentic one. Still the first acharya was able to get a very large following. Jayendrar had spoiled the goodwill which he would have gained in the normal course by his disappearance. The reasons are spoken of in private and are not really adding glory to either Jayendrar or Kanchi mutt. The next person is viewed with still less veneration due to many reasons.

In the circumstances, it is but natural that Jayendrar's arrest did not evoke a mass protest from Tambrams.

In regard to politics, we tambrams are spread so wide and thin that we can never even aspire to have any clout even at the municipal level.

Shridhar99,

I do not know if it is a coincidence but most people who protested against Jayendra Swami's arrest were brahmins.

I do not know why you feel there is no unity among brahmins or tamil-brahmins.

AFAI understand, infact to the public, if there is unity amongst any class across india, then its neither the former landowning classes, nor the current trading classes, it is the brahmins.

As regards Jayendra Swami's arrest, am sure you wud have read on ibiblio that Jeers and Vaishnavite acharyas also protested.

There was even a meeting of all the seers, i just now found this link on google The Hindu : Karnataka News : Math heads decry treatment meted out to Kanchi seer

Public meetings were also held by VHP / Sangh parivar to protest the arrest.

In other states, non-brahmins also publicly protested the arrest. From google you can get more details. Here is one link Hindu Seer case becoming curiousor and curiousor, BJP joins protest campaign | Asian Tribune

People also signed an online petition Protest The Arrest of Sri Jayendra Saraswati Swamiji. Petition

Sir, by unity, i hope you do not expect people to show anger and vandalise public property like how they did when the kannada actor Rajkumar died.

Last edited:
@ Sri Sridhar99

"when we (brahmins) ourselves have a doubt in our mind that the episode of Jayendra Swamigal could probably be "true" then where is the question of unity. We ourselves dont believe our own leader. Do you call this Unity ? ..... A blind faith on our leader was required. But we started questioning ourselves ..... that's what I am talking about .... "

This is not the type of thinking I would wish amongst our community. We should have faith in our chosen path of life, it shouldn't depend on the actions of other men. You can take inspiration from any peoples. We should work in laying out the truth of facts, not believe in covering each other's backs no matter what.

When a report like this comes we should keep our cool and allow facts to unravel themselves. We must protest injustice when we know it has occured, not blindly follow. Further, let us not associate ourselves with violent gangs like VHP and RSS - they are the very reason certain organizations have political milage in propagating hate against brahmins and Hindus. They are our very enemy, if you are serious about our development as a civilization.

Jayalalitha arresting him may be due to her own understandings of what happened, or even due to the anti-brahmin atmosphere for TN politics, or even something personal.

Regards,
Vivek.

I am a new entrant to this forum. In some discussions I went through I read some one saying, we tamil brahmins are helpless and so on .....

When Jayendra Swamigal's image was tarnished in 2004 just before Tsunami .... the unity of Tamil Brahmins was seen and our helplessness was glaringly visible ..... Much was talked about whether the christian or muslim religion would have tolerated such 'nonsense' if it had happened to their 'leaders'.

What needs to be done to bring unity among Brahmins and rise to occasions whenever need arises ? Can we discuss on this issue ?

Sridhar

Sri.Sridhar Sir,

Greetings. What is the connection between Jeyandra Saraswathi Swamigal and Tamil Brahmin community? To start with, there is no connection. Swamigal is a Sanyasi; He must have offered 'swayam pindam'...he should have grown out of caste and religion.

That goes for every Swamigal. Since they are 'supposed to be beyond' castes, it is not required of Tamil Brahmins to support them.

At the same time, all the sanyasi swamigal should have treated any and all the castes as equals.

If you are going to address Tamil brahmins unity based on caste, that is a different issue altogether. But, if you refer Swami Jayendra Saraswathi swamigal, then the scenario becomes a different matter altogether. Kindly choose your scenario clearly, please.

Cheers!

மாமி... மாமி...........

என் பையனுக்கு EEE -ல இந்த வருஷம் free seat கிடைக்கணும். அம்பாளாண்ட வேண்டிண்டிருக்கேன்.
என் பெரிய பொண்ணு USவிசா வுக்கு காத்துண்டிருக்கா. மாப்பிள்ளைக்கு கெடச்சுட்த்து, இவளுக்கு இன்னும் கிடைக்கலை.

மாமி.... நம்ம சமூஹத்துல unity இல்லன்னு சொல்றாளே...

சின்னவளுக்கு நல்ல வரன் பாத்துண்ட்ருக்கோம் ; அமையவே மாட்டேன்கறது.
இவருக்கு இந்த வருஷம் promotion வரணும். கொடுப்பாளான்னு தெரியல.

மாமி... நான் கேட்டது காதுல விழுந்ததா?

ரெண்டு மாசமா இந்த மூட்டு வலி பிராணன் வாங்கறது. இந்த மனுஷன் காதுலையே போட்டுக்க மாட்டேங்கறார். சேந்தாப்ல ஒரு மணி நேரம் கூட TV பாக்க முடியலை. என்னப் பத்தி யாரு கவலைபட்ரா ?

மாமி..............

என்னடா அம்பி?

ஒண்ணும் இல்ல மாமி; எனக்கு பதில் கெடச்சுட்த்து .

The views expressed by many are well respected. When I am talking about unity among tamil brahmins I am not necessarily meaning that we should destroy the public property to exhibit our unity. No. Not at all. But I am yet to see tamil brahmins coming to limelight. Tamil Brahmins are considered to be 'toothless'. People can easily criticize, ridicule, humiliate the brahmins but it is not so with the other religion. I am happy to note that one of you pointed out when a priest in a temple was shown stealing .... we all went out to protest and made DD withdraw and apologise. This is commendable. My expectation from tamil brahmins is only this. I am not suggesting any destruction of properties to exhibit our unity.

The non-brahmins made a mockery of us during Jayendra Swamigal's arrest. That pain is still unbearable and I have personally not come out of that pain. There was a time when Brahmin community was looked at being No. 1 religion and every other religion was jealous of us and went on to sabotage our image by chappal garlanding a priest poster and so on. Hope you all remember this. But during Pazhaiya Periyava's time in Kanchimutt, we emerged victorious during those religious fights which were going on. Unity was seen then.

Another question that comes to my mind is - in today's world, is brahmin still remaining as brahmin ? are brahmin's not having non-vegetarian food ? are they not getting into habits like alcohol, women and so on ? People may come out with an argument - who doesn't these days ? My point here is "Brahmins are above all" ..... Would like to see and understand how we can still hold that superior position - that we enjoyed during our grand grand father's time .....

Dear Sri Sridhar,

Answers for your questions are available in your post itself. Previous Acharya of Kanchi mutt was respected for his austerities and simple life. Even when Indira Gandhi wanted to meet him he continued his vow of silence, never allowed politics to influence him. He restricted his activities to religious disciple. His needs were simple and led the humanity (not only Hindus) by his actions. His actions and life never allowed any one to mock at him.

The second point , whether today's Brahmins can claim as Brahmin by birth. No he cannot. Except that he/she is born to brahmin parents, nothing is there different. Personally I do not accept that "Brahmins are superior to others". In fact all are born equal by nature. It is the way of living, thoughts and deeds differentiate them ultimately. Given the opportunity any one can be as good or even better like any other. We should never forget that previously the Hindu community took care of Brahmins. Brahmins lived simple life of knowledge seeking, not competing with others in money making activities.
Brahmins have traveled far away from the Varnasrama to claim any thing special.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

மாமி... மாமி...........

என் பையனுக்கு EEE -ல இந்த வருஷம் free seat கிடைக்கணும். அம்பாளாண்ட வேண்டிண்டிருக்கேன்.
என் பெரிய பொண்ணு USவிசா வுக்கு காத்துண்டிருக்கா. மாப்பிள்ளைக்கு கெடச்சுட்த்து, இவளுக்கு இன்னும் கிடைக்கலை.

மாமி.... நம்ம சமூஹத்துல unity இல்லன்னு சொல்றாளே...

சின்னவளுக்கு நல்ல வரன் பாத்துண்ட்ருக்கோம் ; அமையவே மாட்டேன்கறது.
இவருக்கு இந்த வருஷம் promotion வரணும். கொடுப்பாளான்னு தெரியல.

மாமி... நான் கேட்டது காதுல விழுந்ததா?

ரெண்டு மாசமா இந்த மூட்டு வலி பிராணன் வாங்கறது. இந்த மனுஷன் காதுலையே போட்டுக்க மாட்டேங்கறார். சேந்தாப்ல ஒரு மணி நேரம் கூட TV பாக்க முடியலை. என்னப் பத்தி யாரு கவலைபட்ரா ?

மாமி..............

என்னடா அம்பி?

ஒண்ணும் இல்ல மாமி; எனக்கு பதில் கெடச்சுட்த்து .

Splendid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back