• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Unity among brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a feeling among the Brahmins that their preceptors were all sattvic, ahimasa people. My gotra includes Bhargava (Parasurama) who killed thousands of Ksahttriyas. Dronachrya was a Brahmin.

In my family we could always deal physically with people. I learned chilambam when I was young. Both my sons have learnt Kung Fu. One of them is a Black Belt in Kung Fu.

Bodhidharma the founder of Shaolin temple in China and the founder of Kung Fu was a Tamil Brahmin from Kanchipuram. He founded the Zen religion also.

I remember a dialogue by Kovai Sarala in one of the movies. "En pappan edutthu vettina arival vettatha?"

Great Sriniranga,
Good to see this msg!
That's the way ! Build ur muscle power!!

vijay ( vijisesh - better )
for god sake... i learned this in my earlier life so i am going to gym for 2 hrs... even now also.. i am posting this message once i returned from gym...
i belive my generation and our comming generation to make physically competative to others . then we will come up in life that is sure.

Thanks and Regards
Iyengar

Good Mr.Nachhi ,

All this is good to hear !

Now if u can tell me where to get the " Brahmastram !" , it would be very useful ! ( kidding)

How nice it would be if there are no weak brahmins !

They should have the physical power + power of the mantras !

Then perhaps u don't need kalki 's visit !

or may be we can reschedule his visit !!

Last edited:
You are out of touch. Kalki is already here. See advertisement in Mangaiyar Malar.

Parsurama killed the Kshattriyas with his axe.

The entire martial arts was created by the Buddhist Monks who did not believe in violence.

Just saw now. Congratulations on becoming a Senior Member. :drum:

Last edited:
Dear Mr Nacchi,
are u talking about the kalki magazine ! i know , its there for a long time !

Maybe just like the buddhist monks who know martial arts , we should run a secret school teaching brahmins some form of physical defence , after lifting them up by eradicating their poverty !

Bodhidharma the founder of Shaolin temple in China and the founder of Kung Fu was a Tamil Brahmin from Kanchipuram. He founded the Zen religion also.

Dear Sri Nacchinarkiniyan Ji,

This is most interesting - I have never heard of this. Can you enlighten me more on this? Are there references that I can read.

I am especially interested in how the Zen Buddhism started?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pranams,
KRS

Mr.Nachhi,

Seriously , Do u think in the direction pointed out by many major religions that
" The number of Believers in GOD shall sharply descend , over the years and that's when the world will see the last chapter !"
Kalki - the God as per the our religion who will ride a white horse ---
When is he due for arrival ????

This is most interesting - I have never heard of this. Can you enlighten me more on this? Are there references that I can read.

I am especially interested in how the Zen Buddhism started?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pranams,
KRS

My original information was from a Kung Fu site.

Please see

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/daruma.shtml

Thiough this is a site about the popular legless Japanese Daruma (Bodhidharma) dolls it gives a number of links to the history of Zen Buddhism.

BTW the Pallavas called themselves Brahama-Kashtriyas. Brahmins by birth and kshatriya by profession. That is the reason for the confusion between a Brahmin and a King.

What next? The return of Christ? Every religion is waiting for its messiah to return!
How can a mortal man call himself 'Bhagwan"?

There is temple for him in Anna Nagar.

I think I should give a warning in my posts that I do not believe in all the web sites I give a linkage to.

Kalki. My foot !!! :mad2:

Thank you so much for your assistance. I will pusue this with a cousin of mine who is by chance is doing research in Japan and the Sanskrit documents unearthed there. These are all very interesting to me.

Appreciate your citation of the link as well.

Pranams,
KRS

My original information was from a Kung Fu site.

Please see

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/daruma.shtml

Thiough this is a site about the popular legless Japanese Daruma (Bodhidharma) dolls it gives a number of links to the history of Zen Buddhism.

BTW the Pallavas called themselves Brahama-Kashtriyas. Brahmins by birth and kshatriya by profession. That is the reason for the confusion between a Brahmin and a King.

very well described; 'Nachhunu" solvathil Nachinnarkiniyanukku inaiyundo?
innum Sollungal. Your points are so well thoughtout and reflect the ground reality.

Religious Divide

After a gap of some days I am reviving this thread. We were discussing about the divide between the rich and the poor.

But there is even a greater divide among the Brahmins. It is the Religious divide.

The Tamil Brahmins can be divided into many religious groups.

1. Smartas ( who believe in Smiritis and in Advaita philosophy.)

2. Vaishnavas ( who are followers of Sri Ramanucahraya and believe in VishishtAdvaita philosophy.)

3. The followers of Saiva Siddhanta and Agama Sasthras. (Sivacharyas or Gurukkal or Adisaiva Brahmins). They are pure Saivas.

4. The followers of Bhaskaracharya. (Sri Vidya)

5. The followers of Avadhuta/Siddha philosophy and tradition and the various small groups associated with them. [They are basically the followers of Sankhya/Yoga system]

Kanchi Acharya had initiated dialogs between the Smartas and the Viashnavas and was successful in bridging the divide. Of late some politicians and politically minded Acharyas have been trying to drive a wedge between them. We have to be careful about such people.

The southern districts of Madurai, Thirunelveli and Ramnad has not seen this divide even earlier. This is the land of Sankara Raman, Sankara Narayanan, and Sundaram Iyengar. There are a number of Divyadesams here like Srivilliputhur, Srivaikundam, Alwar Thirunagari, Nanguneri etc.

It may come a surprise to many of you that there are followers of VishishtAdvaita philosophy who are not Vaishnavas.

Sivacharyas or Gurukkal are a subsect of Vadama. But generally not accepted. They are followers of Saiva Agamas which originated in Kashmir in the first century B.C. They are followers of Baudhayana sutra whereas most of the other Brahmins follow Apastambha sutra.

Because they are pure Saivas and do not follow Advaita, there has always been a
estrangement between them and Smartas. Smartas generally do not accept the Agama Sasthras. Being pure Saivas there is no love lost between the and the Vaishnavas.

This is the community which is mainly Archakas of Siva, Devi and Subramnaya temples in Tamil Nadu.

The followers of Bhaskaracharya. (Sri Vidya) - This is a purely a Guru parampara. Their tradition is purely personal worship. Quite at peace with the world.

The followers of Avadhuta/Siddha philosophy and tradition and the various small groups associated with them.-- this is a very interesting group in that they generally do not believe in the Varna system.

You find Brahmins being disciples of Abrahmna Gurus. The Siddhra of Tamil Nadu belonged to all castes. All of them did not believe in the same philosophy. Some of the Siddhar songs are pure Advaita. Some of the Siddhars are from north India. Boghar the Siddhar who established the Palani temple is supposed to be from China.

http://palani.org/bhogar-biography.htm

I am quoting them here because they have done what all the Tamil Brahmins should aim for.

1. Accept Tamil as their primary language.

2. Include all castes in worship. It is great to see a big Yagna being conducted with Iyers, Iyengars, Chettiars and Nadars, men and women reciting Mantras in Sanskrit and Tamil and offering oblations in the fire to various Gods/Goddesses.

Utopia. No. It has been happening in Tamil Nadu for a number of years.

For anyone thinking of bringing about Unity among the Brahmins, it is necesaryto understand these differences.

over a period of time the very purpose of brahmins, originally designed duties & responsibilities towards the society have been forgotton. That is the main drawback. No body wants to know their responsibities & the ways to carry out in a smooth way. I wish to remind all of you of one thing that the ratio of four varnas are 1:2:3:4 AS TO BARHMINS :KSHATRIYAS :VAISYAS: SHUTHRAS. We have been reduced to only 5% now.

Again and Again , Driven back to square one by a new person !

Agreed ! Gowri ji , Things have changed !

They have to change indeed - Don't they ?? with evolution !!
Why Cry over Spilt milk ??

Logic is more important that ratios ! Being a Human is more
important than being a part of varna system !

Human race has reached it heights in Science and technology only because
they have taken the " Good and Useful " things from our predecessors and then
using their creativity and efforts they have turned sand to GOLD !

Hence as per my opinion , it is not necessary to completely go by what our ancestors have prescribed ! Let us analyse in this forum , filter the good things and then using those bring out " Twelve commandments " ( 12 is my lucky number !)

to bring out the common " GOOD " qualities that a Brahmin should possess ,

to bring about UNITY amongst them !

Let me start with the first quality !

1. A Brahmin should treat the fellow men from all other caste and creed as equal and should shy away the superiority complex in his/her brain !!

Kya Khayal Hai Aap Ka????????

Dear gowri1 Ji,

Welcome!

I agree with you about the Brahmins' responsibility towards the society. But have a question. Where in our scriptures, the ratio is given? Does it also show the reason why such a ratio is important?

This is quite interesting.

Thanks.

Pranams,
KRS

over a period of time the very purpose of brahmins, originally designed duties & responsibilities towards the society have been forgotton. That is the main drawback. No body wants to know their responsibities & the ways to carry out in a smooth way. I wish to remind all of you of one thing that the ratio of four varnas are 1:2:3:4 AS TO BARHMINS :KSHATRIYAS :VAISYAS: SHUTHRAS. We have been reduced to only 5% now.

Thanks for the detailed information about the divisions among us. Though I know a little but now enlightened better. Thanks a lot to "Nacchinarkiniyan"

Justice party, DK and DMKs (including AIADMK) united us presently - thanks to them.
I agree with Vijisesh.
We have to be more practical but should remember we are trying to unite ourselves because we have been pushed to a corner. We need to help ourselves to continue our life in the present form (typical TAMBRAHM routines and rituals).

Yes Adiyean,

Its high time to attack the difficulties of today to have a better tomorrow!

If we keep on retaining and remembering the old atrocities done to us like an elephant , we will spoil tomorrow also !

Tomorrow is more important !!

Unity is ofcourse a must.

To do that, imo, we need to exercise a great deal of maturity, accept the shortcomings of our own selves and that of others, have the maturity to accept and leave difficult parts of the history behind, not fall into the words of ppl with divisive tendencies, and move with a frame set of unity in diversity.

There is no point in expecting the other person (or other communities) to be the change one wants to see. Neither does it help to have any expectations from the others or feel the need to live upto others' expectations.

i wud prefer hindu unity over any specific community based one... But then, perhaps it wud also be a nice idea to have specific community-based units linked up with one other to have a mutual platform to meet and discuss (that way we do not depend on the politicians to do the talking for us ??)...or have provision for other people also to be a part of it....or be a regional hindu set-up with representation from various communities (and various religions as well)...or...well am running short of ideas...have not read thru the entire thread and will post more later...

hi all,
Namaskarams, we have very common ego....we have good examples
brahmnis from Palakkad/kerala.......tamil brahmins are thinking
superiority complex.........we are very hypocraticals......even
we are not able join with our neighbhor brahmin community...
palakkad brahmins more united than tamil brahmins. we have
to learn many things from them .........palakkad brahmins
suffered more than tamil brahmins. so i request you
all join hands with www.keralaiyers.com and together start
a common programme to achieve a coomon goals.

Regards
tbs

hi all,
Namaskarams, we have very common ego....we have good examples
brahmnis from Palakkad/kerala.......tamil brahmins are thinking
superiority complex.........we are very hypocraticals......even
we are not able join with our neighbhor brahmin community...
palakkad brahmins more united than tamil brahmins. we have
to learn many things from them .........palakkad brahmins
suffered more than tamil brahmins. so i request you
all join hands with www.keralaiyers.com and together start
a common programme to achieve a coomon goals.

Regards
tbs
well what is the common programme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back