• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Unity among brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shri Nacchi, nice to have revived this thread...

To achieve unity, all brahmins have to do a soul-search... it may be quite difficult to discard all these sub-sects with each having a specific pride to its identity... hence, we should override them but by downplaying our ego... (possible?)

Seeking to abolish existing sects may not reap healthy results. If it were to happen, let it happen as a natural evolution of our community. Otherwise, it would result in more groupisms and awaken antagonism in the minds of many.

Unity with other communities should come later - first we should stabilise this unity within ourselves!

The uniting factor, in my view, would be the "material-pursuit" factor... if we seek to unite, then we should make sure that no brahmin throws his hands for alms to the other, whether for education, healthcare or any other. Hence, to create a base which would serve the educational and other related interests would be the need of the day... (as discussed elsewhere in this forum).

Regards,
Seshadri

Unity among Brahmins

Unity among any two persons can arise only if we first have friendship. A friendship which blossoms out of love of one another. A friendship which will not be conditional, which will not seek benefits from each other in order to do any good to each other.

If we even started with knowledge sharing about our own culture, customs and traditions, it would be a good start. I believe this forum is doing just that.

International

How about us starting an International Brahmana Organisation?:)

sb

Am delighted to see Nacchinarkinian, after a long, self-imposed 'sabbath'. I also personally feel that sub-sects of brahmins must first mingle, then merge and finally, vanish.

Friendship also is based on certain expectations, albeit non-materialistic. First pre-requisite of a true friendship is emotional support and then psychological comfort, on a reciprocal basis. It is then taken to an intellectual plane and finally, action-oriented behaviour. It is thus a two-way transaction.

But, selfless love doesn't require anything in return. This is easier said than to practise. Nevertheless, it is worth aspiring for.

As far as I have seen, the 'pride' (ahamkaram) in a brahmin often drives him to belittle the other, due to oneupmanship (dominance), envy and inexplicable hatred, sometime.
If this could be eliminated, unity is possible.

On the other hand, a true brahmin shall believe in hardwork and relentless pursuit, rather than looking up to another person, merely because the other one happens to be a brahmin. Is it fair and just for me to seek help or favour from another, simply because of the reason we two share the same/similar caste or social identity?

Good thought provoking words !

Vanakkam Shri Pannvalan ji....

Excellently coined , bold and free flowing words so apt and appropriate to the contemporary brahmin society, true to the core indeed , especially the following ...

------
As far as I have seen, the 'pride' (ahamkaram) in a brahmin often drives him to belittle the other, due to oneupmanship (dominance), envy and inexplicable hatred, sometime.
If this could be eliminated, unity is possible.
--> Surprisingly the learned and wise brahmin feels proud in his ahamkaram which he practices and doesn't seem to get away from it although he knows that it is the primary thing that is to be eliminated ...

On the other hand, a true brahmin shall believe in hardwork and relentless pursuit, rather than looking up to another person, merely because the other one happens to be a brahmin. Is it fair and just for me to seek help or favour from another, simply because of the reason we two share the same/similar caste or social identity?[/quote]

-- And if only the present day Brahmins could cultivate their crops , stitch their clothes , construct their houses , be a jack of all trades , and be self dependent entirely , then he can begin to neglect the other castes , -- as we need to depend on a barber for a first instance to groom our hair , we better stay in the SOCIETY , rather than being isolated ..

------
and I too agree that its great to see Shri Nacchinarkinian ji's comments back !

hi all,
Namaskarams..........UNITY AMONG BRAHMINS....it is like very
beautifull example.......BRAHMINS ARE LIKE NELLIKAI.......
when nellikai can be together in a jute bag........but when
nellikkai comes out from jute bag.......never stay together.

Regards
tbs

The above example cited was exactly told by Mahaswami Of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham to our family.I believe that Shri Mu Ka used to visit Mahaswami in incognito,to receive his grace,as told to me by seva dals serving Mahaswami.Dunno of course how much truth is in all this hearsay,though.

sb

:)

sb,

personally, i would discount such rumours. sometimes, i think, we delude ourselves into believing preposterous imaginations whether it be MK's respect for hinduism or these folks' most intimate personal advisors are brahmins.

the evolution of MK is steeped in the folk imagination of thanjavur of 1940s with periyar's teaching adding fuel to the fire. till they won the election in 1968, the entire DMK coterie was supported by MGR's money. this is a fact.

what is unfortunate for us, especially to our psyche, is that we did not have a strategy to recognize the dravidian movement. i think we turned on our blinders for various reasons that could be debated.

i do not share pannvalan's optimism about the future integration of tamil brahmins as part of tamil society.

i base this on the fact, that with increasing upward mobility of all groups, if there needs to be a scapegoat for any one of these for failure of any sort, the eternal brahmin is there. i

n fact, i believe, even if there is not even one brahmin left behind in tamil nadu, anti brahminism will exist.

brahmins, who do not feel brahminical in the caste hierarchy can get by. but they too, due to the legal definition of brahmin, will have to endure the stigma.

one way to get out of the rut, is actively promote intermarriage with other tamil tribes.

this will resolve many issues. it will emphasize the 'tamil' in tamil brahmins. moreover, it will bring a dose of fresh blood, to our somewhat claustrobphobic approach to the whole matter of marriage.

an even more by product, will be to get the newly arrived brides and grooms, into the brahminical way of life - atleast to whatever level that is being practised.

minimally, atleast to our way of cooking. coming from palghat, the foremost blessing i attribute to my accident of birth, is the cuisine that i inherited, and even after more than 35 years in the west, something that i can enjoy without getting tired.

my two relatives in singapore, have successfully trained their myriad maids from malaysia, phillipines and srilankans (sinhalese speaking) the art of palghat cooking.

so, sb, i think, if we get the inclination to venture out of our self imposed boundaries, there is hope that we not only can overcome our current angst, but in the process learn to thrive. it is all in the mind. :)

Shri kunjuppu

My Periappa's classmate was Shri Mu Ka from alumnus of Borde High School,Tiruvarur.My late father also was a junior to Shri Mu Ka,and my dad also was an alumnus of Borde High School,Tiruvarur.My dad used to tell me,Shri Mu Ka was champion of Tamil's,but did not extend the same love towards Tamil Brahmin's in particular.He did say why,but i cannot possibly write here publicly,just in case,i offend people.In hindsight,i think,Shri EVR was a KGB plant.Shri Mu Ka,is a Jalra of EVR.For him politics is a business.In fact,now i am of the opinion all political leaders are basically business guys,with a lobby promoting them.

As far as cooking,i love food of all cuisines.In fact ,i went and even got a licence from State Of Michigan.I want our Indian Food,especially South Indian Style,to become popular.Anyways,its just a dream,dunno if i ever will see it come true.

sb

P.S.MGR was my childhood,youth days hero.Moreover he was pro-american and i still fondly remember his 5-minute advice to me in the race track of Sholavaram,Chennai.Mahaswami asked us to light "Nai Villakku "(Ghee Lamp ) as a mark of respect,to Shri MGR,when he had died.

Last edited:
In hindsight,i think,Shri EVR was a KGB plant.Shri Mu Ka,is a Jalra of EVR.
P.S.MGR was my childhood,youth days hero.Moreover he was pro-american and i still fondly remember his 5-minute advice to me in the race track of Sholavaram,Chennai.Mahaswami asked us to light "Nai Villakku " as a mark of respect,to Shri MGR.

What on earth?? Forgive me, just cudn't stop guffaing... :rofl:

Hi all,
If we want unity in brahmins first we must know how to mobilize people for some common programs than only we can think abt the unity. other wise it is jusr a chitchat among community people.

suggest

Hi all,
If we want unity in brahmins first we must know how to mobilize people for some common programs than only we can think abt the unity. other wise it is jusr a chitchat among community people.

Shri whisper

suggest common programs.I am ready to join.I live in Michigan,USA though.

sb

Shri whisper

suggest common programs.I am ready to join.I live in Michigan,USA though.

sb

Hi
As far our community think abt history only not abt ant other service like charity or volunteers or donations so i suggest abt history council in this forum. Yes i suggest its common program at this time.

Shri Whisper

Vaada which is a kind of dialogue in which a paksha and an prati-paksha regarding the same subject are advanced by opposing sides. Each side seeks to support their position and defeat that of their opponent by means of taking recourse to pramaana and avayavaa. The overall purpose of Vaada for both parties is to discover the truth – whether they win or lose the argument is of little to no importance. For this Karanam, Vaada is traditionally associated with the quality of sattva.

Powerlessness is not a virtue,on the contrary Powerlessness is a curse. A society based on the cult of the victim and the idealization of the underdog is not a living or moral society, with the ability to make its own decisions. As Tamil Brahmins, we need no longer to embrace the moral high ground by remaining the helpless objects of persecution. Sanathana Dharma empowers us to pursue our own destiny and to assume the responsibilities that come with the assumption of true authority.

The challenge for today is the challenge of possessing power. A Tamil Nadu/USA government and its officials can abuse that power through graft and corruption. An Kazhagam/Republican Party can abuse that power through coercion and domination. Rather the Tamil Brahmin people ,should deal and struggle with these challenges than forfeit the right to live and thrive. We all know that might does not make right. But when will Tamil Brahmins in Tamil Nadu/USA or for that matter anywhere else in the world,and the Diaspora learn that neither does powerlessness.:)

sb

Dear Bala,

I haven't read anywhere or heard through someone that Mu.Ka. visited 'Mahaperiyaval' incognito, to seek his blessings.

Dear Kunjuppu,

Times have changed and the present generation (especially those who are born after
1970) does not possess any anti-brahmin outlook and nurture any inward hatred towards them. Those who do this are a miniscule majority, but unfortunately, they only wield social power today. Its ok.

Wait for another 5 to 10 years. These groups will vanish from the political scene of Tamilnadu.

If not total unity, better understanding and co-operation amongst various sub-sects of brahmins are still possible, that too, within a short time-frame.

I do not support the argument that we as a community should come forward to throw away our identity voluntarily, only for survival. This is an impractical suggestion and will not take shape for the next 100 years.

Last edited:
Shri pannvalan

I have heard it from Mahaperival's trusted Seva Dals.My own Grand-uncle was serving Mahaswamigal untill his final days.Why would they lie to me?That is why i sort of feel Shri Mu Ka,acts in real life unlike MGR & JJ,who acted in reel life.Now after seeing Bhagavan Sathya Sai Baba & Ammachi felicitating,its all neatly falling into places.I really don't know why Shri Mu Ka puts this character to display.No clue.He shud be retired and playing with his grand-children,kollu perans/paythis...he is a veteran...he shud rest.

Unless he is acting for KGB,Russians.As he has named his son Stalin.To prove he is a trusted comrade of Brezhnev,Putin....

sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back