• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

True anecdotes and episodes in my real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree you are great and all others are fools. I hope that will satisfy your ego. I feel extremely sorry for people like you. -- rgurus, Veteran.

Thanks, sir.

Same to you with knobs on.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Is this the way an eight year K L B kid, brought up by his grandparents in India, talk?? K L B is Kerala brahmin and not tambrahm! -- Raji Ram, Veteran

Some people regrettably can be advertently or inadvertently blind and, unfortunately, culturally biased, importing their own apparent prejudices into their posts.
They jump to conclusions reflecting their pre-conceived notions of the world and its inhabitants. For example, they pointedly ignore the very opening:

"A Tamil-Brahmin couple resident for some years in US of A."

The inquisitive child was
Tamil-Brahmin, brought up by Tamil-Brahmin grandparents in TAMIL NAADU. It was alert, and was genuinely shocked by what was going on in a Roman Catholic church in its parents' country of adoption.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

hi

The child under reference was barely two years old. -- rgurus Veteran.

here somebody particularly mentioned VETERAN.....ITS LIKE SARCASTIC APPROACH....WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ?

I THINK..ITS CALLED GREEDY/JEALOUSY?.......may be he will also become VETERAN later...its called EGOISTIC....

in tamil proverb.....முழு குடம் துளும்பாது ....அரை குடம் துளும்பும்....vidyaa dadhathi vinayam.....knowledge

gives humbleness...

Last edited:
....... "A Tamil-Brahmin couple resident for some years in US of A."

The inquisitive child was
Tamil-Brahmin, brought up by Tamil-Brahmin grandparents in TAMIL NAADU. .......
Thanks for making my day, Iyer Sir! Had a hearty laugh!! :D

KLB says ''kaupeenam koodi illaye''; Tambrahm says ''kOmaNam kooda illayE''

KLB says ''thulukkammara''; Tambrahm says ''thulukkALA''

KLB says ''chaambalai odara thanneril''; Tambrahm says ''sAmbalai OdaRa thaNNeelE''

KLB says ''ellorum kaana muththam idara''; Tambrahm says ''ellArum pAkka muththam kodukkaRA''

KLB says ''nammaippole'' whereas Tambrahm says ''nammaLa mAri''

Probably, since Iyer Sir belongs to Kerala, he is unable to get the dialect of Tamil Brahmins! :sad:

Moral of the story: Learn the dialect of tambrahms before posting something about them!!
icon3.png

"Here somebody particularly mentioned VETERAN.....ITS LIKE SARCASTIC APPROACH....WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ? -- tbs Veteran

Yes, what IS the poster's problem?

The website identifies the poster as Veteran, in bold letters. Is he/she ashamed of the classification? If so why bleat about it, instead of taking it up with the website administrators? Is the alleged "sarcasm" not in the poster's own over-imaginative mind?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Thanks for making my day, Iyer Sir! Had a hearty laugh!! :D

KLB says ''kaupeenam koodi illaye''; Tambrahm says ''kOmaNam kooda illayE''

KLB says ''thulukkammara''; Tambrahm says ''thulukkALA''

KLB says ''chaambalai odara thanneril''; Tambrahm says ''sAmbalai OdaRa thaNNeelE''

KLB says ''ellorum kaana muththam idara''; Tambrahm says ''ellArum pAkka muththam kodukkaRA''

KLB says ''nammaippole'' whereas Tambrahm says ''nammaLa mAri''

Probably, since Iyer Sir belongs to Kerala, he is unable to get the dialect of Tamil Brahmins! :sad:

Moral of the story: Learn the dialect of tambrahms before posting something about them!!
icon3.png

Madam,

The stuff which shri SNI wrote was not at all believable. But I have to add that palakkad brahmins settled in tamilnadu have this malayalam slang. One of my friends used to speak in this fashion. They speak mal-mil.

Dear Vaagmi Ji...I disagree that a child only questions if the assesing process fails.
In 2006 I bought a car and my mum put a small idol of Shiridi Baba on the dashboard top.

My son aged 6 then removed the idol from the car after 2 days and that upset my mum.

My son placed the idol in the house altar.
My mum told him she put it in the car as a form of blessing but my son said he didnt want it in the car.

So I asked him why he didnt want it?

He said " Amma all of us are in the house when its hot..the car is parked in the sun..it gets hot...Baba will feel hot so I took him from the car and put him in the altar"

Well..I was taken aback..all of us adults only viewed the idol as an idol but my son viewed it as a living entity.

So who taught whom here?

This is exactly what I say. The pathways of thought in the mind are complicated and lengthy but are gone through pretty fast.

Now my experience:

My daughter was nearing her three years of age. I was opening a steel almirah and then after taking out something closed it. As I pulled out the key, my daughter who was with me pulled down the metal flap which covers the key hole and closed the key hole carefully. I was wondering what was going on in that fresh little mind. I asked her. She said she closed the key hole. I asked why. She said she had seen me doing it all the time. I asked why should it be closed. She said readily --to avoid dust accumulating.

So children do observe keenly, question, wonder, think, search and resolve all within themselves. They ask only when the answer is beyond them and such occasions are very rare.

Thanks for making my day, Iyer Sir! Had a hearty laugh!!
Moral of the story: Learn the dialect of tambrahms before posting something about them!! -- Raji Ram Veteran

Perhaps the lady Veteran's laugh is on the other side of her face?

If she really knows anything about what she labels
the dialect of tambrahms, she would have realised that --

(1) kaupeenam is the correct Sanskrit word used by Brahmins, including Tamils, meaning loin-cloth;

(2) thulukkanmaar is the polite term for Muslims;

(3) chaambal (சாம்பல்) is the correct pronunciation of the English word "ash";

(4) thanneer is Tamil, not Malayalam; thanneeril is more appropriate than thanniyile in the context;

(5) ellorum kaana is used even in good written Tamil and even on the radio and TV (see,e.g. sheerkaazhi arunaachala kaviraayar's "iraama naatakam");

(6) nammaippole is commonly preferred in conversation to the heavier nammalai maathiri;

(7) "nammala maari" is meaningless: so is "thulukkaalaa."

True moral of the story: Less impetuosity, less hilarity is perhaps more lady-like.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

This is exactly what I say. The pathways of thought in the mind are complicated and lengthy but are gone through pretty fast.

Now my experience:

My daughter was nearing her three years of age. I was opening a steel almirah and then after taking out something closed it. As I pulled out the key, my daughter who was with me pulled down the metal flap which covers the key hole and closed the key hole carefully. I was wondering what was going on in that fresh little mind. I asked her. She said she closed the key hole. I asked why. She said she had seen me doing it all the time. I asked why should it be closed. She said readily --to avoid dust accumulating.

So children do observe keenly, question, wonder, think, search and resolve all within themselves. They ask only when the answer is beyond them and such occasions are very rare.

Dear Vaagmi ji..
Agreed but the mind of a child is naturally inquisitive and they not only learn by observing but also learn by self discovery.

If one only learns by observing parents that would only mean a stereotype thinking of society and no scope of improvement or advancement.

If caveman followed what his dad did..we wont
be typing using smartphones today.

Society progresses..new discoveries..change in behavior too..environment does influence us but finally personal thoughts prevail.

Going by this "monkey see monkey do" theory..it does not explain why I am so different from my mother or father or siblings in many ways.

Last edited:

Moral of the story: Learn the dialect of tambrahms before posting something about them!! -- Raji Ram Veteran

(1) kaupeenam is the correct Sanskrit word used by Brahmins, including Tamils, meaning loin-cloth;

(4) thanneer is Tamil, not Malayalam; thanneeril is more appropriate than thanniyile in the context;

(5) ellorum kaana is used even in good written Tamil and even on the radio and TV (see,e.g. sheerkaazhi arunaachala kaviraayar's "iraama naatakam");

(6) nammaippole is commonly preferred in conversation to the heavier nammalai maathiri;

True moral of the story: Less impetuosity, less hilarity is perhaps more lady-like.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Lady like behavior only applies if one is dealing with a gentleman.

BTW the word Thullukanmar is considered a slur here.

A child 2 or 3 years can be very perceptive. Lady like behavior only applies if one is dealing with a gentleman. -- Doctor Renuka, Veteran.

One combatant female doctor who cannot distinguish between a one-year-old child and a three-year-old child nor even comprehend the difference between reference to a child's parents and to a child, and still puts on boxing gloves for frivolity, fault-finding, facetiousness, fun, can hardly be described as lady-like.

Vive la difference!

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

A child 2 or 3 years can be very perceptive. Lady like behavior only applies if one is dealing with a gentleman. -- Doctor Renuka, Veteran.

One combatant female doctor who cannot distinguish between a one-year-old child and a three-year-old child nor even comprehend the difference between reference to a child's parents and to a child, and still puts on boxing gloves for frivolity, fault-finding, facetiousness, fun, can hardly be described as lady-like.

Vive la difference!

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

I can be anything from gentle loving to hard core amazonian.

It all depends whom I am dealing with.

So its like Karma here..you get the treatment you deserve.

You cant escape.

Livin La Vida Loka!

Last edited:
I have not written anything wrong to boil over like this. Understand that I am a very senior person and not a child. -- mgurus, Veteran

"Nothing wrong"?

Pretending to speak through the mouth of a one-year-old child, has not this very senior Veteran poster compared the formal religious attire (pancha-gachcham) worn by learned Veda-Brahmana Brahmin priests to diapers worn by American babies to defecate and urinate in?

Was this not an insult both to the priests and to their attire?

Was the one-year-old child using binoculars to detect the "diapers", or did it have eagle's sight, or "divya chakshush" as granted to Arjuna by Lord Krishna Paramaathma at Kurukshethra battlefield to behold His vishva-roopam?

Was this special occasion not the solemn consecration of the deities enshrined in the temple by performing kumbha-abhishegam on the kudams insatalled on the temple's highest point, i.e. its gopuram?

Was this not also an insult to the temple and the deities being consecrated? A blasphemy cleverly contrived as an innocent one-year-old child's question?

Why defend the indefensible? Why not confess and come clean? The more senior the person, the more heinous the offence. Is he a nonagerian or even nearing his nineties? I am.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

I have not written anything wrong to boil over like this. Understand that I am a very senior person and not a child. -- mgurus, Veteran

"Nothing wrong"?

Pretending to speak through the mouth of a one-year-old child, has not this very senior Veteran poster compared the formal religious attire (pancha-gachcham) worn by learned Veda-Brahmana Brahmin priests to diapers worn by American babies to defecate and urinate in?

Was this not an insult both to the priests and to their attire?

Was the one-year-old child using binoculars to detect the "diapers", or did it have eagle's sight, or "divya chakshush" as granted to Arjuna by Lord Krishna Paramaathma at Kurukshethra battlefield to behold His vishva-roopam?

Was this special occasion not the solemn consecration of the deities enshrined in the temple by performing kumbha-abhishegam on the kudams insatalled on the temple's highest point, i.e. its gopuram?

Was this not also an insult to the temple and the deities being consecrated? A blasphemy cleverly contrived as an innocent one-year-old child's question?

Why defend the indefensible? Why not confess and come clean? The more senior the person, the more heinous the offence. Is he a nonagerian or even nearing his nineties? I am.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Iyer Ji...

I feel your outburst is uncalled for.

Its best you just relax for while.

Going by age you should be most senior here since you are nearing 90..therefore your " crime" is most heinous.

Last edited:
Btw when priest climb up a Gopuram I feel they tie their dhoti slighly higher up to prevent falling.

This from a view below looks like diapers to a kids eye.

Madam,

The stuff which shri SNI wrote was not at all believable. But I have to add that palakkad brahmins settled in tamilnadu have this malayalam slang. One of my friends used to speak in this fashion. They speak mal-mil.
Yeah! The Kerala brahmins whether settled in Tamil Nadu or not , are classified as K L B in a matrimonial site!

Some of them use 'bakshe' for 'AnA(l)', 'padakkam' for 'pattAsu', 'thuyaramE illai' for 'nimmadhiyE illai',

'buddhi muttu' for 'kashtam', 'kazhichchEn' for 'sAppittEn', 'Ormai illai' for 'jnAbagam illai' and so on...... ! :)

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Mr. Iyer,

1. Tamils - that includes Tamil Brahmins, do not use the Sanskrit word Kaupeenam for loin cloth generally. They call it Kovanam or Komanam colloqually. So RRji is right and you are wrong.

2. Thulukkanmaar is a usage peculiar to Kerala Brahmins. This maar is a suffix added to many words in malayalam and so the Tamilbrahmins of Kerala have naturally adopted this in their Tamil. Purushanmaar, thulukkanmaar, pattanmaar are all usages peculiar to only TBs in Kerala. So RRji is right and you are wrong. Tamils in Tamilnadu never use this maar frequently in their tamil except while speaking about the caste. They say iyamaar, pillamaar etc., Not anywhere else is this maar used.

Rest of what RRji has written are also correct. As you appear to be a pattar from Kerala (no offence meant) you have presumed that the Tamil of Pattars is the correct Tamil. It is not.

So do not get angry when someone points out the error.

Iyer Sir is NOT familiar with what Tambrahm dialect is! :tsk:

In fact, the dialect of tambrahms from different places in Tamil Nadu varies slightly.

'varachchE' instead of 'varumbodhu' (Udamalpet), 'nippattinAn' for 'niRuththinAn' (Kadayam)

'veRunna irukkELA' for 'sowkyamA irukkELA' (Madurai) are examples of different dialects.

All brahmins who have Tamil as mother tongue are NOT tambrahms! :nono:

:nono: A matrimonial site classifies those from Kerala as K L B only.
icon3.png

And K L Bs wish to get K L B alliances. They consider 'others' as 'KezhakEththukkArA'!! ;)

Btw when priest climb up a Gopuram I feel they tie their dhoti slighly higher up to prevent falling.

This from a view below looks like diapers to a kids eye.
I agree, Renu! ;)

Children perceive in a different way! When we were going uphill in a winch in Palani hill, a mom of a

five year old kid was scared and was chanting 'Kandha sashti kavacham'. Her kid asked her, 'EmmA

bayappadarE? ummAchchithAna mEla irundhu nammaLa izhukkarA?' I was really amazed at the total

surrender of that kid! :thumb:

I apologize to Guru Sir for writing so many posts but they are necessary because of Iyer Sir 's entry, here! :)

I apologize to Guru Sir for writing so many posts but they are necessary because of Iyer Sir 's entry, here! :)

Dear RRji,

All of us enjoy reading Guru sirs stories...its nice and so many various experiences he shares.

I am sure he will understand why we wrote many posts.

I hope Iyer ji too would try to enjoy posts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back