• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

True anecdotes and episodes in my real life

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Everyone including the participants went into peels of laughter."

Sri R Gurus, in his excitement, must be thinking of the banana peels, orange peels, apple peels, grapefruit peels and other fruit peels left at the dining tables by the well-fed participants.

Now for my dolorous tale.

My professional colleague, an eminent Christian lawyer from Punjab, and I were invited to a Sikh couple's wedding. The dress code prescribed was "white tie". My learned friend wore a white suit and dark blue long-sleeved shirt, plus a long white silk tie reaching down to below his belt. There was suppressed laughter all round.

Had he asked me, I would have suggested a white bow-tie and formal tail-coat such as the English gentry wear to ultra-formal functions.

The bride could not suppress a feminine giggle. The groom heroically put on a "stone-face". The bride's mother's face was grim. Others pretended not to notice.

We exited the ceremony without incident.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Good morning (continued)
In an early morning Muhurtham ( most Muhurthams are invariably early morning muhurthams), the knot that a "till then free man" ties, makes him a bonded slave for life.
There are many such instances of our receiving bad calls in early mornings that have shaken us. Every day as soon as we wake up, are we not in the habit of seeing
newspapers which make our mornings bad mornings and our entire day a bad day? Which paper ever gives good news? It is always all about how our soldiers were butchered and mutilated, how our police are brutally massacred by naxalites, how a lady or a girl was raped and killed, how an one sided jilted love resulted in the gruesome murder of a girl, how bombs were hurled at innocent citizens, how our army is attacked by unruly students with stones, how our politicians support terrorists, anti socials and anti nationals, how in the name of an agitation, all shops in the streets are attacked and looted and somebody's effigy burnt and so on. The list is endless and that is how our mornings start. After reading the papers even staunchest atheists turn theists for fear of life and property and vice versa. So everyone seems to believe that mornings should not be good and more so our print media.Facebook, twitter, WhatsApp and other social media also incite you and contribute considerably to make our mornings miserable and we have to learn to live with all these. So no morning is a good morning to any of us.
But anyhow hopes die hard and we start a day with a good morning whether it is really so or not.
Good morning everybody

Unless we admire the roses in the plant and forget the thorns, life will be miserable, Guru Sir! :)

A good attitude is :
எல்லோரும் இன்புற்றிருக்க நினைப்பதுவே அல்லாமல் வேறொன்றறியேன் பராபரமே!
icon3.png

( ellOrum inbutrirukka ninaipathuvE allAmal vErondraRiyEn parAparamE! )

Until I did my SSLC, my father didn't even know that my name was Guruswamy. Once when my school friend came to my house to see me, my father and my uncle who were sitting in the front verandah of our house enquired him as to what he wanted. When he said that he wanted to meet Guruswamy, my father as well as my uncle had no hesitation in turning him out saying that such a person was not available and that he had come to a wrong place. On hearing their loud voices, I rushed out from inside my house to say that I was available. The immediate reaction of my father and uncle was who gave me this name. This is in spite of the fact that at the time of opening the SSLC certificate book where my name was prominently written as Guruswamy, it was my father who had signed in the front page of the book which carried my name as Guruswamy. Then my mother explained to them that it was my grandfather who gave my name as Guruswamy at the entry level of my education and that was continued in all my school records. It is because my father was known for his forgetful memory. This is the case with many of my relatives also till date and they can recognise me only by my nickname and not by my official name, since my nickname is in no way related to my real name.
THIS IS THE TROUBLE WHEN YOUR NICKNAME BECOMES MORE POPULAR THAN YOUR OFFICIAL NAME IN FAMILY AND FRIENDS' CIRCLES.

Everybody is a mixture of emotions. There is no point in hiding our sorrows through a false cover. Just as we share our happiness, we have to share our sorrows too. On the day I wrote that Good Morning, it is a spontaneous reaction in me for the loss that I suffered due to the demise of my friend (and relative) from my childhood days with a bond of over 80 years. Another serious problem is now a days I am missing people who are much younger than me. These are old age problems unavoidable.
I love humour no doubt as may be evident from my daily joke contributions, political comments, stories and so on in this forum which you might not have gone through. I have written a book சிரி நானூறு comprising 400 jokes in Tamil to share the pleasure of laughter with everybody. Bur in one's life there may be occasions like this where we have to share our grief to lessen the burden in us. I understand your genuineness and thank you for consoling with kind words. But in what I wrote, you have missed the sarcasm in it of what sort of media we use to get news and what sort of a real world in which we live. Thank you and may God bless you.

Life is made up of a series of episodes -Good, bad and the ugly.

Good ones one cherishes and not so good ones one tries that they do not haunt us for a lifetime.

Riots, famines, poverty one has lived thru and highs of achievement in surmounting obstacles and raising to excellence make us believe that we have lived a full

eventful life of joys and sorrows.WE think at the end that it has been a worthwhile eventful journey

The spelling muddle
The muddle with my name persisted and I was caught unawares when I got my Doctorate degree. I found to my utter dismay that my name was spelt as Guruswami in the degree certificate instead of Guruswamy. Immediately I rushed to the Madras university registrar's office and preferred a complaint stating that my name was wrongly spelt in the degree certificate and that it should be corrected. I was told to bring my Master's or Bachelor's degree certificate or at least my SSLC book as evidence before taking up the correction. I went back and verified all my certificates and other official records ONLY TO FIND THAT IT WAS EITHER GURUSWAMI or GURUSAMI or GURUSAMY with varying spellings in each one of them and NO WHERE it was correctly written as GURUSWAMY, a spelling which I have been using right from my childhood when I learnt to write my name in English.
SO TODAY I AM LIVING WITH SO MANY SPELLINGS FOR A SINGLE NAME, LIKE SO MANY NAMES FOR A SINGLE GOD.

Last edited:
Only if Guru Ji lives in India, he will face some problems.

Linking the Pan card and Aadhar card is already a big mess! :)

Spelling muddle (continued)
When I got my Ration card after some hectic efforts, I was immensely pleased that at last all my efforts and time spent on obtaining it have fructified. When I just went through the card, I found to my utter surprise that I was given a new spelling hitherto unknown to me. It was printed in the card as “KURUSWAMY”. How to explain this? When I got annoyed and approached the officer concerned who was sitting in one dark corner of the office, I was told “What is there in a spelling? You will still get your ration irrespective of the spelling. Don’t bother (me).”
In my passbook, when I wanted to correct the spelling of my name, there again a similar reply was given. When asked would it not create a problem in issuing cheques, the bank manager casually remarked “nobody bothers about all these things. You seem to have enough time to bother about it and bother us too”.
When I applied for green card in US, this discrepancy in the spelling of my name caused sufficient confusions, that I thought it was not worth the green card, but this being the common problem with most Indians was resolved by duly certifying that all the different spellings stand for the same person!
When myself and my wife registered our names as the proud citizens of India with the election office as voters, needless to say the ordeal that we passed through. At last when the Voter IDs were delivered to us, we really felt honoured that we have been recognised duly by the election commision as voters in this country and in earnest discharge of our duties when we went to vote, I had no problem in voting, because for the first time in my life my name was written in the card as I spelt. After discharging my duty as the true citizen of India, I was waiting for my wife who was standing in the women's queue to vote and return. As she returned, I asked her whether she had voted without any problem. She said that she was not permitted to vote, because of the mistake in her name in the Voter card. When I took it from her hands and saw, her name was written as GEETHALAKSHMI, instead of G.SEETHALAKSHMI, which mistake has escaped both our eyes till then. No one in our country seems to live with one name and just one spelling. We all seem to be honoured with different spellings by different agencies!

Unless the name is correct one can never vote because the photo in the voter's ID will never resemble that voter!

I had a funny experience! Voter's IDs were home delivered by an officer (?) in our colony and hence we were all elated.

The door bell rang and I hurried to get my voter's ID card. That officer saw the photo in my I D and asked me, 'Mrs. Rajeswari

engE? avunga kaiyezhuththu pOdaNum!' I was stunned! The Q 'nAn yArunnu nenachcheenga?' flashed in my mind but politely

I told him that I am the person he was searching for. He muttered, 'photo vEra mAri irukku!' for which I replied with a smile,

'idha photo eduththavaraiyE kEkkaNum!' A short silence prevailed .............................!

Finally, I got IT! :thumb:

Ram had gone out at that time and so he had to go to the office to collect his ID. :)

My school days
Darshan of Mahatma Gandhi
It was pre independence time and most of us students were sympathetic to the National Congress Party. Many of our uncles were appreciative of British rule and were very unhappy with Congress, for they felt that we Indians were not capable of governing our country. ( we seem to make it true). But we students were hero worshippers of Gandhi, Nehru and other congress leaders then. When Gandhiji travelled to the south sometime in 1942 or so, arrangements were made for the Darshan of Gandhiji for the benefit of the people enroute by stopping the train by which he was travelling at wayside stations or places nearer to stations. Ariyalur is my native village and I was a student of the Board High School there. And that village had the privilege of being one of the venues for Gandhi's entourage to stop the train for a few minutes between (Ariyalur and Ottakoil stations). Our school took all of us by walk to the venue where we were all made to sit on the ground for more than an hour to have a glimpse of Gandhiji. We were so eager to see Gandhiji who was a God for us at that time that we didn't mind the sun and the long wait. Even though I might differ from him today, I have the greatest respect for him. When the train stopped, Gandhiji came out of his seat and stood at the threshold of the entrance door and on seeing his characteristic toothless smiling face ( பொக்கை வாய்ச்சிரிப்பு) , we all raised our voice shouting "Long live Gandhiji" ( காந்தி வாழ்க) and "Vande Matharam" ( வந்தேமாதரம்). We were thrilled at the sight of Gandhiji and felt honoured when he waved his hands at the crowd. I consider this the greatest privilege in my life and I am sure that I am one of the few living in this country who had a Darshan of Gandhiji ( (not even many members of Gandhi's family or Nehru's family might have had this privelege). When I think of it, I get a thrill beyond words ( continued)

Independence
Another unforgettable incident during my school days was when the world war II ended in 1945. That meant no more air raids, no more blackouts and no more ARP sirens. Sweets were distributed to all students and the occasion was celebrated in the Union Club with great gusto with each student carrying the union Jack flag pinned in his shirt. We were all happy that the war has ended and that the day for us to get our freedom from the British was not far off. It was then that one of our uncles who was a prison of war (PoW) was released by the defeated Japanese from singapore, who came direct to Ariyalur. He used to narrate his thrilling and hair raising experiences of his life and how he very narrowly escaped death and how much he suffered at the hands of the draconian Japanese. From what he said, we could understand how gruesome the war was. Thus we had a first hand account of the second world war from him. And needless to say , he became a hero amidst all the youngsters.
At last came our independence on August 15th, 1947 and our joy knew no bounds. Our school arranged a special free show for all the students and we were taken to the first and the new permanent theatre in Ariyalur Nataraja. ( till then there were only touring talkies in our place which means a temporary tent will be erected as is done even today for circuses where pictures will be shown just as in any regular theatre. The seating arrangement will be the floor( the lowest class), benches, galleries and chairs ( the highest class). We were all seated on the floor while our teachers were seated in chairs. The picture that was shown that day for us was Sri Valli ( ஶ்ரீ வள்ளி) by T.R. Mahalingam and Rukmini ( Mother of actor Lakshmi). Needless to say we were doubly thrilled, first because of our independence and secondly because of a free film show at our new permanent theatre, but which one was a greater thrill, I couldn't say. There was also a celebration of the occasion by our uncles organised and A dinner aranged with many sweet dishes, consuming too much of it causing me diorrhea the next day
The most shocking news of my school life was when Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated on January 30th,1948 in New Delhi Birla Mandir, when I was doing my ninth standard. We were completely taken aback. Even though they were pro british, our uncles were also shocked and this incidence gave scope for one of the uncles to criticise Indians as being misfit to rule the country.
Again our first republic day on January 26th,1950 was another landmark in my school days. So my entire school life was closely linked with major political developments in the country and in the world. These few incidents associated with my school days could never be forgotten. This was probably the main reason for me to get interested in politics, but I was careful enough to keep away from active politics.

The great Ariyalur Tragedy
After resigning my job as Junior Engineer in the then electricity department of the Government of Tamilnadu from Mettur, I was in my native place Ariyalur for about a month, looking for a new job. It was then that the great tragedy occurred. It was November 23, 1956 , Friday, a dark day in the annals of Indian railways. I was half awake rolling in my bed. It was a cool early morning and the time was about 5:30 A.M. Just then I heard the express train passing over Vanchiyam (வஞ்சியம்) bridge making thunderous noise, typical of any train passing over a bridge. Usually I used to be disturbed by this noise of Tuticorin Express train crossing Vanchiyam bridge around 4:00A.M. everyday. So I thought that the Express was running late by an hour and a half that day. Within the next half an hour, a villager rushed to our street to inform whoever was awake and available at that time shouting that " மருதையாத்துலே வண்டி விழுந்துடுத்து " (Vandi had fallen in the river Marudaiyaru.). When he said "Vandi" , I thought the man was referring to some cart, may be a bullock cart that had fallen in the river. Little did I realise then that he was referring to the express train, because in our village parlance, a train is also generally referred to as " Rail Vandi" or simply " Vandi". He continued saying that the river was under heavy floods and the train had sunk into it with the Marudaiyaru bridge collapsing under the impact of the unprecedented flood in the river. This news had a devastating effect on me and and I immediately jumped out of my bed to join the group of persons in the road listening and talking to the villager, raising all sorts of doubts about the accident thinking that the villager was bluffing, but the poor villager had no answers for all their queries. But the seriousness with which the villager was talking made us feel that there must be some element of truth in what he had said and so all of us decided to go to the accident site and see things for ourselves. The venue of the accident was nearly two and a half miles from our place and we all rushed towards it, gathering rumours en route about the magnitude of the disaster, the fury of the river, and how and why it all happened. .( continued)

Dear Gurus, you are writing so'much & I am reading the above intently. I request you to write your E mail I am eager to interact ,I am 82 more than writing here & discontinue later does not help or useful to we, people /Sr Citizens
Thiml over & write the Mail I have some ideas /possible for
Implementation I live in Madrs/ /Kodambakkam
A.Srinivasan

Dear Gurus, you are writing so'much & I am reading the above intently. I request you to write your  E mail  I am eager to interact ,I am 82  more than writing here & discontinue later does not help or useful to we, people /Sr Citizens<br>Thiml over & write the Mail I have some ideas /possible for <br>Implementation I live in Madrs/  /Kodambakkam<br>A.Srinivasan<br><br><br><br>

The great Ariyalur tragedy ( continued)
Even when we were half a mile away from the site of accident, we found that there was knee deep water all over. We had never before seen Marudhaiyaru ( which was a wild river and which usually got flash floods only) in spate swelling, swirling and whirling with full rage as on that day at that moment. It was water, water everywhere and we were warned and prevented by the local people who were knowledgeable about the area from moving closer to the railway bridge.
There were horrendous cries from hundreds of survivors from the compartments shouting for help. Actually what had happened was that in that early morning due to heavy rains upstream, the river got heavily flooded, with the water level in the river rising substantially above the railway track, submerging the track and the bridge completely and the driver had been running the train at its full stipulated speed in that semi darkness, unaware of the fact that the earthen embankment on the southern end of the bridge had been completely eroded with the sleepers washed away by floods and the rails hanging loosely without any support. When the train reached that spot in top speed, immediately the engine plunged into the river and got dragged to some distance before coming to a dead halt. At the impact that was created, part of the the engine went under water and part of the tender got bent, while the first four compartments got derailed and partly submerged under water, hanging precariously. The succeeding compartments were mostly above water on the track itself and some of the people in those compartments jumped into the river to save themselves from the disaster that caught them unawares not knowing of the dangerous swirls in the river, only to be washed away by the ravaging floods. Walking along the track , a rescue team from the Ariyalur station side comprising police and medical and other personnel reached the spot and tried to save as many lives as possible, warning others in the compartments just to remain in their place until they reached them. Meanwhile a relief train from Virudhachalam reached the spot in the next half an hour and by that time, water level had started receding and the onlookers started moving towards the survivors to help them.
Ear splitting and heart rending cries filled the air, many weeping, crying and shouting for help and many others wanting to know whether their kith and kin who travelled with them were safe and if so where. Bodies from the derailed compartments were removed with very great difficulty using welding machines and cutters. Passengers who were trapped on the top branches of the thorny trees nearby were rescued after some struggle and many good Samaritans came forward to extend unsolicited help to all those under distress in spite of the risk involved in such operations. The world is full of equal number of good and bad people and so even as succour was forthcoming from a sizeable number of people, there were bad elements in the village nearby who started exploiting the situation to their advantage unmindful of the depth and gravity of suffering of those struggling and surviving. Personal belongings of the victims were mercilessly looted and the bodies were thrown back and the struggling survivors pushed into the river. As per eye witness, the toll might be about 600, but as per official reports, it was restricted to 150. The bodies that were recovered were kept at the railway station for identification purposes and it was a pathetic and heart breaking sight to see the passengers and the relatives thronging in the station with the fond hopes of seeing their kith and kin alive, waiting near the dead bodies on the hope that they were likely to come back alive. I saw one person crying for two full days not able to believe and stomach the truth that his son was dead.
The big rumour that was doing rounds at that time was the death of one Savithri Ganesh who was mistaken for the famous star actor (actress) of those days Savithri who had just then married Gemini Ganesan, another famous actor of yester years. This wrong news spread like wildfire throughout the state until it was denied by the persons concerned. Later it was established that the Savithri Ganesh under question involved in the accident was different and she was one among a group of passengers going to Kanadukathan near Karaikudi.
To contribute to the general tension and uncertainty, there was a floating rumour at local level at Ariyalur that one Rayar, a newspaper agent, the only one from Ariyalur to get into the train at Ariyalur station that day, was carried away in the floods and his body could not be traced. For nearly ten days, his people waited to know about his whereabouts and in the absence of any information, they started performing his tenth day rites and suddenly and as if cinematically, right at that time came the news that Mr Rayar was alive in Damiapuram hospital. It seemed that he was thrown out of the train as he was travelling on the footboard and was caught on some tree branch on the southern side of the bridge which was inaccessible to the people at the Ariyalur side and was picked up by a team who came from Dalmiapuram side and admitted him, who was then in a semiconscious state in the hospital there. Only after eight days, he regained full consciousness and realised what had happened and where he was and wanted the hospital authorities to inform his family immediately about his survival and to ask them to come there to take him back home.
Meanwhile Lal Bahadur Sastry who was then the central Railway minister resigned taking moral responsibility for the accident. Thereafter to see such men of high nobility, integrity and character had become a thing of rarity in Indian politics. (It is an irony of fate however that the man who took on himself the moral responsibility for the accident should have died after a few years in Tashkent under mysterious circumstances). Continued

Ariyalur tragedy was the talk of the country for the next few days since railway accidents were few and far between in those days and the name of Ariyalur, a remote unknown village got catapulted occupying the front page of most newspapers even though for wrong reasons. The train service in the chord line connecting Thiruchy and Villupuram was restored within the next two days. Meanwhile I had an appointment order from PWD deputing me to The Industries and Commerce Department as junior engineer and posting me at Madras. The due date for joining was already over. So I decided to try my luck and leave for Madras to meet the officer concerned who had issued my appointment order, as soon as the train services in the section were restored on the third day after the accident. When I got into the train for Madras, people who used to show wry faces when disturbed in the middle of the night became curious to get first hand information about the accident from me. I had to narrate the whole incidence, oh, sorry, the accident in great detail to each and every one I met since then on roads, in buses, in houses and so on. I went to see the Superintending Engineer, who had made a name for himself as being very cantankerous and tough and when he came to know that I was from Ariyalur gave me a seat, a gesture that was rare to expect from a man of his stature to a subordinate in those days, particularly among the engineers of the State Government and when I said that because of the accident, I couldn't come and join the post earlier, he was kind and considerate enough to condone the delay and permitted me to join duty at my earliest convenience. He also became more curious to know the details of the accident and I took a lot of his time to present my version of the accident to his satisfaction. Thus this tragedy boosted my stature and I enjoyed the privilege of being treated as a special V.I.P. wherever I went and this continued for the next few days, even though within heart of hearts I was bleeding with agony at the magnitude of the tragedy to which I was a distant witness. But I didn't reveal to anyone the deep dent the tragedy had made in my mind ever since then and even today I get fear tantrums when I think of accidents and become very tense whenever I undertake a travel.
This tragedy had a cascading effect on the politics of Tamilnadu as well in the 1957 elections and amongst many other slogans for which DMK was famous, the one that attracted all during the elections was "அரியலூர் அளகேசரே, ஆண்டது போதாதா, மக்கள் மாண்டது போதாதா?" (Oh, Mr Alagesar, enough of deaths! And enough of your rule! ). Honourable Mr Alagesan was the minister of State in charge of Railways from Tamilnadu at that time and the railway accident came in handy for the DMK party which in a way helped to increase its representation in the state assembly from a mere 15 seats to a convincing 50 seats. (And shall I call it the beginning of another tragedy for the State?)

South African Safari

Myself and my wife, my daughter in law and our two grandsons went from London to South Africa on the 9th of October 2008 via Paris where my son joined us, reached Johanesberg on 10th morning, spent half a day there and left by a rental van to a place known as Hazyview just outside the world famous KRUGER PARK and stayed in a 2-bed roomed chalet with a kitchen fully equipped with all the necessary gadgets, a dining place, a hall and a rear veranda at Kruger Park Lodge.

KRUGER PARK is a Game park famous for the 'BIG FIVE ', the lion, the elephant, the hippo, the leopard and the buffalo and extends over 200,000 hectares (274 miles
long with a maximum width of 34 miles) and lies on the northern part of South Africa touching the boundaries of Mozambique, Namibia and Zambia. The weather was very friendly during the period of our stay there.
We went on a day safari in our van on two full days and undertook a night safari in an open van on another day. Each day's visit had its own thrills to offer. Incidentally, the term 'SAVARI' that we use in our country seems to have been derived from this African word 'SAFARI ' . During these safaris, we came across easily more than a thousand deers of various types (antelopes,Kudus, wild beasts, impalas etc), herds of elephants numbering over a hundred, giraffes and zebras in huge numbers, all crossing our roads at various points (probably because there were no specific zebra-crossings marked there), rhinos running in panic on seeing our vehicle, the wild hogs and buffaloes wandering around in abundance and lions about twenty five in number roaring in all their majesty, all in their natural habitat and that was a sight to see and enjoy. Usually the animals will be caged and we will watch them walking freely in the open. Now that process was reversed and we caged ourselves inside the van to see them roam free!

On our night safari, we had the thrill of watching a lion crossing our open van very casually to the other side and from there posing to us for about five minutes before it disappeared from our view, probably with a look suggesting 'you fellows , thank you for visiting me' or 'I would come on a reciprocal visit to your natural habitat one day'.
(Continued)

South African Safari (continued)
Again we had the sight of a pride of lions (including lionesses and their cubs) numbering over twenty sitting close to the road on one side of a lake with a herd of deers numbering over a hundred standing in a line on the next side barely hundred meters away, drinking water unmindful of the presence of their predators so close to them. We were thrilled at the sight and with a great excitement and horror watched the seen awaiting the inevitable, but to our surprise, the one lion that was the closest to us as well as to the deer herd threw a contemptuous glance at us, and a casual look on its prey and quietly withdrew itself to join its main group a few yards behind, thus causing a great disappointment and at the same time relief to us. This was a once in a life time experience for us and we were told that not all the tourists get a chance like this. True.Such a scene can be seen only in Discovery Channel.
Another high light of our visit was our trip on a hot air balloon (which is very special to South Africa and is a symbol of African adventure). We were taken up in a floating balloon to a height of about fifty to sixty meters for over seventy five minutes covering a considerable stretch of the forest area nearby and getting a very good bird's eye view of the forest and its inmates. The real thrill (more than what we have seen there) was my wife Seetha's getting into the basket with the help of Vasu and a few others and withstanding the entire flight operation successfully. And to our surprise, we were all issued certificates of appreciation for having courageously undertaken the trip.
Again our visit to 'Cradle of Humankind' is another interesting feature where the origin of earth is simulated and you are made to experience the same presented in a Disney(land) style. We are taken back in time to those days millions of years ago. Africa is supposed to be the origin of human race and hence the name 'cradle of mankind'.
In fact South Africa is a treasure house of tourist spots. We never had any occasion to hear much about it except for its apartheid policy which had kept it isolated till 1999. In fact, it is much ahead of us in tourism and is attracting international tourists on a large scale. In fact, the highways there are comparable to the West and the way in which the tourist spots are maintained and the facilities created give us the impression that we are in America.
Our visit to South Africa was a great, rich and varied experience. In short, we went, we saw, we conquered and returned.
End

Last edited:
Absent minded professor.
Absent mindedness of professors has become proverbial. Once I forgot my name for a few minutes and I have now forgotten why and how I forgot my name. That is a different issue. I am now going to narrate an incident that really happened some twenty eighty years back in our department, when I was in service. So you can't call me an absent minded professor.
It was time for admissions to engineering courses in Anna University. So many unsolicited visitors used to come and see the working staff in the University in connection with the admission of their wards. The staff had a tense time.
My Director and Senior professor of our centre was very busy as usual with his work. Even otherwise, that is what professors are supposed to be. I tapped the door and when he said "yes", I went in with a file and we started discussing about the project on hand. It was a long drawn out discussion. But all the while, I have been observing one elderly gentleman frequently opening the door, slightly peeping in, then withdrawing his face and closing the door, probably to draw our attention. This was happening for more than half an hour. Our director also has been watching it with the corner of his one eye like many of the unwilling bosses and ignored it, trying to impress upon the visitor how busy he was. After our discussions, when I was about to move out, my director asked the gentleman to come in. No sooner did the person enter, than the director reacted with an unbelievably pleasant shock unusual of him " oh! Uncle, was it you waiting? You could have barged in as soon as you came. Why were you waiting outside all the time? I never knew you were the person waiting. I thought it was one of those unsolicited visitors who come and disturb us during admission time. I am so sorry, I have kept you waiting. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Please come in and take the seat" and went on issuing apologies after apologies for having made him wait for so long. The uncle was wriggling uneasily and uncomfortably but again when insisted, took the seat wanting to say something, but was not allowed by the guilty conscious director who was on an apology mode, not willing to listen to what his uncle wanted to say. When he got a break of a few seconds, the uncle said with a lot of discomfiture that he had come there in connection with the admission of his son. The Director was taken by surprise and asked his uncle " I never knew that you had a grown up son of this age to study engineering. You never told me". Again the uncle squirmed and said " sorry. I AM NOT YOUR UNCLE". Just imagine the way the face of the director went. It was unbelievable and then he told his "uncle" with a wild shock of disappointment and disbelief " really? then are you not my uncle? You mean you are not my uncle! If so......?"
I was all the while in the room as a witness to all that transpired there, but the worst part of it was I was not able to laugh out, but had to restrain myself with all my might. The director cut a very sorry figure and as an afterthought to extricate out of the predicament in which he has placed himself, he turned towards me who was still there in his room much to his embarrassment and said that it was a very long time since he saw his uncle and that since that gentleman looked almost like his uncle, he had mistaken him for his uncle. This I thought was the limit of forgetfulness. I could control myself no longer and so I excused myself and left the room urgently not to create any more embarrassment and to relieve myself of the tension of controlling my laughter for so long and probably for the next one week I laughed and laughed and laughed until my sides split and my stomach developed cramps. Even today when I think of the incident, I could not but burst into peals of laughter. If You imagine yourself to be in that situation, you would appreciate it much better. I understood later that the mistaken uncle was one of those unsolicited visitors who had come to request the director regarding admission for his son.

Sir, I like your reminiscences.

Had a hearty laugh on reading the episode about the unsolicited uncle ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back