• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Think or sink!

The oldest G.P.S .....an unsung hero???

G. P. S is not a new concept. Indians have been using the concept successfully ever since ancient times.

Toddlers used to wear 'thaNdai', 'Chathangai' etc which make a sweet sound as they move around the house .

The people in the house can know the exact location where the child is at any given time during the day.

Girls continue to wear silver kolusu with bells and bangles which made an attractive sound. Again another form of G. P. S.

Ladies used to wear 'metti' with small siver bells, kolusu will silver bells. The sound of their glass bangles the fragrance of the flowers worn, the incenses uses to dry the hair and decorate themselves were all various form of G. P. S.

Men used sandal paste, javvAdhu, chewed betel leaves with camphor and cardamom...again various forms of G. P. S.

Modern men use after shave lotions and body sprays perfumes and scents which declare loudly where they are.

The oldies who are NOT employing any of the above methods have developed their own G. P. S system with the help of the Dasa vAyu functioning in the body and in charge of various function in the body.

They sneeze/ cough/burp/ belch (often in both directions either separately or well synchronized) ) and also employ a combination of these as per their convenience and capacity.

The sound of pounding betel leaves and betel nuts in the small iron mortor is also a form on G. P. S .

Just think about for how many centuries our G. P. S has remained an unsung hero!!!

When the human body becomes very old it does resemble an old cloth
(a vasthram which had undergone poorna jeeraNam).

A distant relative who used to shiver like a dry leaf in the breeze has taken off during my absence - 4 months ago.

Another old man living in the opposite flat took off 4 days ago. Good for them since Death is a great deliverer.

But how can we ever look at the face of both these wives... since the most prominnet feature in the face was the paisa-agala-red-kunkumap-pottu!!!

Sticker bindi has its own advantages. Anyone and everyone can wear it without breaking tradition or hurting anybody's sentiment!

I was surprised to see several widows shifting to golden colored stickers aka jigina pottu. I guess they may have their own reason for doing this!

Have you noticed that...

Persons who believe that money is everything are
frequently prepared to do everything for money.

A man shows his character by what he laughs at.

A gossip's tongue is like a cows -
smooth on one side and rough on the other.

A friend in deed is a friend indeed.

We can believe the person who says he seeks the truth.

We have to Doubt the person who claims to have found it.

Knowledge can be gained only by a pure and unperturbed mind.

A mind filled with hatred and anger resists the entry on knowledge.

"All that I care to know is that a man is a human being -
that is enough for me - he can't be any worse"
(Mark Twain).

"As soon as people are old enough to know better,
they do not know anything at all"
(Oscar Wilde)

To be constant in love to one is good;
to be constant to many is great.
(Who said this anyway???)

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.
(Lincoln)

Do We Know this great man?

Hirotugu Akaike - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirotugu_Akaike

Hirotsugu Akaike|赤池 弘次|Akaike Hirotsugu, November 5, 1927 – August 4, 2009) was a Japanese statistician working in information theory. In the early 1970s, ...

etop.jpg

I met one of the two ladies who had become widows very recently.

I was scared of seeing her forehead minus the big red kungumam.

The lady had switched over to red sticker but smaller in size.

Thank God for the sticker bindhis.

Apparently her husband suffered from paralysis and his right side was

affected.

He was bed ridden and suffered for a month or so. He then escaped the

sufferings and miseries and she has accepted the loss as inevitable.

Just before leaving for USA we had visited their home on VinAyaka Chathurti

day.

I sang my favorite song "Sidhdhi vinAyakam" in my favorite

Shanmukha priya rAgam. The old gentleman said,"Oh eththarai nalla

ochchai!" I promised him that after coming back I will sing for him as many

songs as he liked to hear. I could not fulfill my promise as things were not

under my control!

I will think of him whenever I sing and hope he would listen to the songs

from wherever he is now!

My 'fear' of slipping and falling has become a 'terrible terror' after the two recent falls which could have been dangerous even if not deadly or fatal!

So when I went to the temple for the Kruthigai pooja and found it surrounded by the dirty water created by a slashing rain like an agazhi (minus the crocodiles which go with an agazhi) I literally blew my top.

I walked back home and the had to get rid of the terrible anger by writing the first poem on Periya purANam.
What will I do if I do not have this safe outlet for letting out my anger???

Fear of slipping | Anxiety Community Forum

https://www.anxietycommunity.com › Anxiety Disorders › Phobias

Sep 24, 2016 -
I walk with a walking stick. Actually, I can still walk without the walking stick. However, I have this fear of slipping and falling.... ... Perhaps that's because I always make sure the floor is not slippery. As soon as I feel the floor ...

Some other phobias which can be really scary!

Fear of Falling Phobia – Basiphobia - Phobia List

www.fearof.net/fear-of-falling-phobia-basiphobia/

The fear of falling or Basiphobia is known by different names like Basophobia, falling phobia, walking phobia, standing phobia etc. Basiphobia is .... My fear is a little different, my fear is of objects, or people falling through the floor. If I hear ...

Fear of slipping while walking on the floor - Online Doctor Chats

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctorchatlogs/Fear-of-slipping...walking...floor/52054

User : I have recently developed an unwanted "fear" of walking at a normal pace on floors with shiny surfaces. I "pre-think" it and then when I start walking, I feel ...

Dirty Shower Phobia - Phobia-fear-release.com

www.phobia-fear-release.com/dirty-shower-phobia.html

They just gross me out. I could never take a bath. And when I get out of the shower I hate walking on the wet tile floor. Its gross to me. I have a fear of standing in ...

......... So when I went to the temple for the Kruthigai pooja and found it surrounded by the dirty water created by a slashing rain like an agazhi (minus the crocodiles which go with an agazhi) I literally blew my top.

I walked back home and the had to get rid of the terrible anger by writing the first poem on Periya purANam.
What will I do if I do not have this safe outlet for letting out my anger???
Dear Sis,

You might NOT know that there is a thread in G D, started by Brahmanyan Sir, captioned 'How to control anger'.

In a lighter vein, I would suggest a punching bag installed in the bedroom, near our bed!! ;)

Last edited:
There was a show in one of the TV channels in which Smt. Revathi Sankaran interviewed a few celebrities.

The final scene will be with a huge punching bag, which is celebrity will punch hard and express when she gets :mad2: with anger!

My pet, Smt. Sowmya told that she will get mad when she has to run to the kitchen to prepare food, after her return from

performing a Carnatic concert!

There was a show in one of the TV channels in which Smt. Revathi Sankaran interviewed a few celebrities.

The final scene will be with a huge punching bag, which is celebrity will punch hard and express when she gets :mad2: with anger!

My pet, Smt. Sowmya told that she will get mad when she has to run to the kitchen to prepare food, after her return from

performing a Carnatic concert!

Anger is a sudden surge of energy which can be used constructively ( as I do ) or destructively as many people do by shouting/ striking/ slapping/ punching/ pouncing/ breaking or even killing!

I understand Smty Sowmya's anger! She has just given a wonderful concert and received applause but all the same after coming home she HAS to prepare food for herself and all the others. No steaming hot dinner/ supper awaits to greet her!
She must be feeling like deflated balloon every time this happens! :tsk:

Anger used up and released in a constructive way does not hurt self or the others.

But fuming with ANGER ALL DAY long - for real or imaginary reasons - destroys the angry person more than it does the others around him /her.

Anger must be like the pickle - not consumed in huge quantities ...
without causing 'pinaalE' (much later) 'pinnale problem!" :roll:

Anger used up and released in a constructive way does not hurt self or the others.

But fuming with ANGER ALL DAY long - for real or imaginary reasons - destroys the angry person more than it does the others around him /her.

Anger must be like the pickle - not consumed in huge quantities ...
without causing 'pinaalE' (much later) 'pinnale problem!" :roll:

Dear VR ji...

I seldom really get pure anger.
Mostly if I get "angry"its mixed with sadness and the anger portion is more of a regret of not being able to make a change..then I start crying..feel down ..then its total avoidance of the stressor.

So 100 % pure anger I dont think I have experienced it...I dont think we humans experience 100% pure anger.

Want to know WHAT makes a person get angry and mad???

what-to-do-when-you-have-anger-issues-3.jpg

Add to these factors two most important factors also.

1. Believing that oneself is the only person that really matters in the whole Universe - since oneself is at the Center of the Universe!

2. Wishing to and trying to control the thoughts, words and actions of everyone and everything happening around!

I wish to tell such people a small everyday example!

A man filled his palm with a heap of sand in a beach and held it up. It was a huge pile like the huge group of sincere friends and friendly relatives he had and enjoyed.

Now he squeezed his hand so tightly that most of the sand fell off. When he opened his palm very little sand was sticking to that.

Moral:

All his friends and relatives who COULD escape from his tyranny had made good their escape. The little inner circle which can't get away was still sticking to him and quite unwillingly too!

Dear VR ji...

I seldom really get pure anger.
Mostly if I get "angry"its mixed with sadness and the anger portion is more of a regret of not being able to make a change..then I start crying..feel down ..then its total avoidance of the stressor.

So 100 % pure anger I dont think I have experienced it...I dont think we humans experience 100% pure anger.

dear Renu,
So your anger is related to sadness and regret as shown in the diagram.
I am usually very peaceful and accommodating to everyone and everything.

But at times I flare up since something is deeply hurting or some one we love is very unkind!

But the anger gives me energy to complete extra difficult tasks and chores. I had once cut a blouse piece which needed lining and I never felt stitching it.

But when my anger was aroused by an insensitive remark by one maternal uncle about another maternal uncle - his own sibling- I sat and finished stitching the blouse in no time.

In some movies we find the actors dancing in frenzy/ singing like someone possessed / playing a musical instrument as if bent to break it.

Well they are the gasket releasing system of the individuals they portray!

I wonder how I missed your comment in the morning!

Latest ads

Back