• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The real story behind AwardWapsi and Intolerance by B. Jeyamohan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishna100

https://performancegurus.net/the-real-story-behind-awardwapsi-and-intolerance/

by B. Jeyamohan, a noted Tamil and Malayalam writer

I learnt the meaning of “Power” when I visited Delhi in 1994 to receive my Sanskriti Samman award and stayed for two days in India International Centre. I did have some familiarity with Information and culture ministries. However, IIC is the place where “Power” is served on a gold plate.

IIC is located in a peaceful and luxurious bungalow with lawns, high class food and drinks, quietly moving waiters, the butter English spoken without the upper lip moving, lipsticked women gracefully adjusting their hair, the elegant welcome given to the inner circle members with signs and hugs without making any noise!

I have stayed in many star hotels later. But I have never seen anywhere the luxury and comfort of IIC.

IIC was established and funded by the Indian government as an independent body to promote arts and free thinking. If my memory serves me right, Dr. Karan Singh was also its head. I saw him that evening.

I saw every intellectual that I had known through my reading of English language magazines. U R Ananthamurthy was staying there for almost four years, almost as a permanent fixture. Girish Karnad was staying for a few days. Writers, journalists and thinkers such as Pritish Nandi, Makarant Parajpe, Shobha De were seen everywhere in the Center.

It was true that I was overwhelmed that day. Arunmozhi (my wife) ran to Girish Karnad on spotting him and was thrilled to introduce herself to him. I was told that Nayantara Sehgal used to come there on a daily basis to have a drink. I saw her that day too. I realized that the two other individuals who were given the award along with me, Rajdeep Sardesai and Anamika Haksar were regulars there.

They wear rough Kolkata kurtas and Kolhapuri chappals and small glasses. Women in pure white hair and khadi saris. One of them, they said, was Kapila Vatsyayan. They said, Pupul Jayakar will also come. Wherever you turn, there were literary talks and art discussions.

That pomp kind of unnerved me. The ultra high intellectualism seen there somewhat alienated me. Venkat Swaminathan, who saw me the next day, immediately recognised my sense of discomfort. He said, “Hey, three fourth of this crowd is just a perfect horde of crows (the Tamil equivalent of psychophants). The snobs that make their living draw their power by licking the boots of power centers. Most of them are mere power brokers. At best you may find one or two artists who you will really respect. And they can’t bear this atmosphere for too long and will just run away.

But these are the people who decide what is culture for this country. They can talk about everything in the world for one hour in colorful English with the right number of jargons. But on the 61st minute, the color will start fading. Actually they don’t know anything in the real sense. Almost all are like the little boxes we find in attics which held things a long time back”, said Venkat Swaminathan.

Everyone will have four or five trusts in the name of Service Organizations or Cultural Organizations. They will be flying from one conference to the other. Once given accommodation in a government bungalow, they can never be removed from there. In Delhi alone this crowd has illegally occupied about 5,000 bungalows. There is another Power Centre similar to this in Delhi which is called the JNU. It is the same story there too.

“Can’t the government get rid of them?”, I asked. He said, “normally governments do not think in that line. Because this crowd has stuck itself from the time of Nehru. They support each other. Even if some IAS officials try, they will fall at the right feet and escape”.

“There is one more thing added to it” said Venkat Swaminathan. “Not only were these people just parasites, they also derive great power by showing themselves as progressive leftists. Did you notice it?”. I said “Yes” with an amazement.

They are known throughout the world through the numerous seminars they attend. They are highly networked. Journalists around the world seek their opinion on whatever happens in India. They are the people who gave a leftist mask to the Congress Government. If you look at it that way, the amount spent on them is quite low”, he said. They are the trolls sitting on the head of India and nobody can do anything to them. They decide what is art or culture or thought of India.

I have often been to IIC with my Malayalam journalist friends. For them, this is the place to pick rumours and convert them into news. They know there are no secrets as the day wears out and the spirits rise higher and higher in the head.

But I can only pity those people who engage in to political debates based on the supposedly rare gems of wisdom dished out by these “intellectuals” through the middle pages of English newspapers. These intellectuals never actually know the real politics. They just shout on the basis of the superfluous knowledge and stand points, with the prime space enabled by the network. That’s all.

A long time back when I wrote about this Circle, I had mentioned that Barkha Dutt is none but a power broker, my own friends fought with me for degrading a “progressive fighter”. Fortunately for me, within a few days, the brokering she did with Tata leaked out through the Nira Radia tapes. (Incidentally, what happened to that case, does any body know?). But even those stark revelations could not bring down Barkha Dutt from her exalted pedestal even for a month. That is the kind of power they have.

But now, for the first time in the history of independent India someone has dared to touch this power circle. Warnings were circulated at the lower level for the last about 6 months. Last week the Culture Ministry decided to send a notice to them. This, perhaps, is the reason for these intellectuals to suddenly flare up against “intolerance”.

For example, painter Jatin Das, father of actress Nandita Das is occupying a large government bungalow at one of the premium locations in Delhi free of cost for many years. Government has sent an eviction notice to him. This is the real reason for Nandita Das strongly speaking about intolerance in television channels and writing in English newspapers (all diligently carried by the network).

Even for a man as strong Modi, I think he has touched a wrong nerve. These elements are too powerful. They can destroy India through the media worldwide. They can create a picture that rivers of blood are flowing in India. They can make businessmen around the world to halt. They can wreck the tourism industry. The truth is there is no other power centre like this in India. Tolerating them is unavoidable for India. And Modi’s intolerance of them is extremely dangerous – not only for him but for the country itself.

Excellent post! People who really follow Indian politics would easily understand the reasons behind these gimmicks like "award wapsi" and would not fall prey to such acts. Perhaps that may be the reason, they could not sustain long. Of course BJP has to suffer humiliating defeat in Bihar due to this is a different story. May be their internal politics would also have acted as a catalyst here. Again turning to the main subject, it is high time people like them are to be exposed. for that let us give this article posted above, a huge circulation through the social media.

I agee with what the author Jeymohan has said but would like to add that BJP's leadership also allowed lot of nut cases with their own party as well as from the Sangh Parivar to talk nonsense and gave sufficient ammunition to the opposition to target the Government . Had Modi& Co just stuck to the Development Agenda this negative image would not have happened .

Delhi as a whole is just like Washington in the US. Not just in arts, there are people who have similar apparatus in all fields, like science for example. They give each other awards and chairmanships in various positions. Just because of its length of stay, we have to blame the Congress govt from the times of Nehru and Indira Gandhi for this system of feudal patronage.

President Pranab Mukherjee has said that the return of awards by writers and intellectuals was "evidently spontaneous" and a way of protest that has triggered a nation-wide debate on the issue of intolerance, a release issued on Thursday by a group of intellectuals has claimed.
A three-member delegation comprising Ashok Vajpeyi (poet), Vivan Sundaram (painter) and Om Thanvi (journalist) had called on the President on Wednesday and submitted a memorandum on behalf of writers, artists, scientists and academics.
They sought his intervention to persuade the Central and state governments to ensure tolerance, freedom of expression and mutual cooperation, the release said.
"The President expressed the view that 'award-vapasi' is a way of protest and it has been evidently spontaneous. He feels that the reason India has survived, though many more ancient civilisations have disappeared, is due to its pluralism over millenia.
"The recent protests by writers, artists, scientists and academics have made the issue of intolerance a matter of nation-wide debate," the President was quoted as having told the three-member delegation.
The delegation thanked the President for speaking repeatedly against growing intolerance and also requested him 'as the head of the nation' to do all that is possible to advise and persuade states and central governments, political parties and all others to act decisively to end the incidents of intolerance.
They should ensure that the ethos of tolerance, mutual cooperation, respect for plurality and difference, scope for dissent and dialogue, freedom of expression are all ensured and given full and free expression both in deeds and words, the release said.

Read more at http://cms.thestatesman.com/news/in...nce-president/106704.html#2kdu5VSMKQoAzG65.99

Of course there is two sides to any story.
It depends on your personal choice to put your side of the story.
Then again we did not receive any special award, and can not be in the shoes of celebrities who were ready to give up the symbol of their achievement.
I am sure some of the members here will say that people who sacrificed at the borders, too did not do something spectacular to be awarded accolades.
Just as some of the members here questioned the sacrifice of freedom fighter.
It is easy to postulate when you have no involvement in the process.

“India’s culture of diversity and debate is now under vicious assault,” said Nayantara Sahgal, an 88-year-old writer who is also the niece of India’s first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru. She received the award for her political novel “Rich Like Us” in 1986.

The returning of the awards by many Indian writers has been commendable and it has succeeded in shaming the government both nationally and internationally for not controlling the fringe elements that have gone berserk across states. However, it is equally important to ask some uncomfortable questions of these writers, the many hundreds more who won awards of all kinds and have not bothered to return them and, most importantly, of ourselves.

The fault, at the end of the day, lies with us, the public sphere that reads and writes and engages with the arts. We have watched as our journalism, the supposed fourth pillar of democracy, has been eaten away and destroyed by corporations. We see the figure of the writer or the artist of any kind with a mixture of romantic nonsense and begrudging disdain. Instead, we ought to see the writer or any artist as a political figure and assess them for how they respond to and participate in the zeitgeist.

For that we need to participate in the zeitgeist ourselves. The Hindu Right, whatever else, participates fully in the moment, however bullishly. On that they cannot be faulted. It is the rest of us who sit quietly on the sidelines watching as Muslims are lynched, Dalits are murdered and tribals are systematically exterminated. We cannot leave the responsibility to engage with a handful of writers. We have to fight to create a public sphere that shows that we do not accept a culture of violence and intolerance.

It demeans the discussion about intolerance by castigating some extraneous reasons for the writers discontent.
If Nandita Das's father is illegally occupying a banglow, is she liable?
Are we liable for the crimes of our parents or children? Where justice in that? If this reason was true why did they not find Drithrastra guilty of the crimes of the Kaurava Clan.
So let us take the issue under discussion and not bring unnecessary and circumstantial crimes of the father or the Bengali Community or other communists that is not relevent to the discussion.

Last edited:
Noted lyricist Gulzar has come out in support of authors returning their Sahitya Akademi awards in protest of the growing religious intolerance in the country. After a lot of writers returned their Akademi awards to protest awardees who gave back the prize to protest the death of writer MM Kalburgi and assaults on intellectuals, Gulzar clearly stated that killing was not Akademi’s fault, but that authors want the institution to recognise and protest against the incident. Backing the writers, Gulzar thinks that returning the awards is the only way for writers to show their displeasure.

"The murder that has hurt us all is somewhere the fault of the system or government... Returning the award was an act of protest. Writers don’t have any other way to register their protest. We have never witnessed this kind of religious intolerance. At least, we were fearless in expressing ourselves. Never thought that a situation like this would come where a person’s religion is asked before his name. It was never like this... What politics can a writer do? A writer just speaks from his heart, mind and soul. They are the conscience keepers of the society. They are the keepers of the soul of the society,”
Expressing concern over the growing instances of communal intolerance, he rubbished claims that the writers' decision to return the award was politically motivated. In the wake of the authors’ protest, the Sahitya Akademi finally passed a unanimous resolution on Friday appealing to state and central governments to take steps to prevent such incidents and asked authors to take back the awards they had returned to protest against “rising intolerance”.

Time is the best medicine. History will speak the Truth. Due to the advent of technology, social media, 24x7 news channels, educated citizens, social awareness and easy and fast travel and relocating options, exposure to multi cultural and multi dimensional world, such coterie will either cease to exist or multiple power centres will prop up. Let us see what the great Nostradamus has predicted for us.

I learnt the meaning of “Power” when I visited Delhi in 1994 to receive my Sanskriti Samman award and stayed for two days in India International Centre. I did have some familiarity with Information and culture ministries. However, IIC is the place where “Power” is served on a gold plate.

IIC is located in a peaceful and luxurious bungalow with lawns, high class food and drinks, quietly moving waiters, the butter English spoken without the upper lip moving, lipsticked women gracefully adjusting their hair, the elegant welcome given to the inner circle members with signs and hugs without making any noise!

I have stayed in many star hotels later. But I have never seen anywhere the luxury and comfort of IIC.

IIC was established and funded by the Indian government as an independent body to promote arts and free thinking. If my memory serves me right, Dr. Karan Singh was also its head. I saw him that evening.

I saw every intellectual that I had known through my reading of English language magazines. U R Ananthamurthy was staying there for almost four years, almost as a permanent fixture. Girish Karnad was staying for a few days. Writers, journalists and thinkers such as Pritish Nandi, Makarant Parajpe, Shobha De were seen everywhere in the Center.

It was true that I was overwhelmed that day. Arunmozhi (my wife) ran to Girish Karnad on spotting him and was thrilled to introduce herself to him. I was told that Nayantara Sehgal used to come there on a daily basis to have a drink. I saw her that day too. I realized that the two other individuals who were given the award along with me, Rajdeep Sardesai and Anamika Haksar were regulars there.

They wear rough Kolkata kurtas and Kolhapuri chappals and small glasses. Women in pure white hair and khadi saris. One of them, they said, was Kapila Vatsyayan. They said, Pupul Jayakar will also come. Wherever you turn, there were literary talks and art discussions.

That pomp kind of unnerved me. The ultra high intellectualism seen there somewhat alienated me. Venkat Swaminathan, who saw me the next day, immediately recognised my sense of discomfort. He said, “Hey, three fourth of this crowd is just a perfect horde of crows (the Tamil equivalent of psychophants). The snobs that make their living draw their power by licking the boots of power centers. Most of them are mere power brokers. At best you may find one or two artists who you will really respect. And they can’t bear this atmosphere for too long and will just run away.

But these are the people who decide what is culture for this country. They can talk about everything in the world for one hour in colorful English with the right number of jargons. But on the 61st minute, the color will start fading. Actually they don’t know anything in the real sense. Almost all are like the little boxes we find in attics which held things a long time back”, said Venkat Swaminathan.

Everyone will have four or five trusts in the name of Service Organizations or Cultural Organizations. They will be flying from one conference to the other. Once given accommodation in a government bungalow, they can never be removed from there. In Delhi alone this crowd has illegally occupied about 5,000 bungalows. There is another Power Centre similar to this in Delhi which is called the JNU. It is the same story there too.

“Can’t the government get rid of them?”, I asked. He said, “normally governments do not think in that line. Because this crowd has stuck itself from the time of Nehru. They support each other. Even if some IAS officials try, they will fall at the right feet and escape”.

“There is one more thing added to it” said Venkat Swaminathan. “Not only were these people just parasites, they also derive great power by showing themselves as progressive leftists. Did you notice it?”. I said “Yes” with an amazement.

They are known throughout the world through the numerous seminars they attend. They are highly networked. Journalists around the world seek their opinion on whatever happens in India. They are the people who gave a leftist mask to the Congress Government. If you look at it that way, the amount spent on them is quite low”, he said. They are the trolls sitting on the head of India and nobody can do anything to them. They decide what is art or culture or thought of India.

I have often been to IIC with my Malayalam journalist friends. For them, this is the place to pick rumours and convert them into news. They know there are no secrets as the day wears out and the spirits rise higher and higher in the head.

But I can only pity those people who engage in to political debates based on the supposedly rare gems of wisdom dished out by these “intellectuals” through the middle pages of English newspapers. These intellectuals never actually know the real politics. They just shout on the basis of the superfluous knowledge and stand points, with the prime space enabled by the network. That’s all.

A long time back when I wrote about this Circle, I had mentioned that Barkha Dutt is none but a power broker, my own friends fought with me for degrading a “progressive fighter”. Fortunately for me, within a few days, the brokering she did with Tata leaked out through the Nira Radia tapes. (Incidentally, what happened to that case, does any body know?). But even those stark revelations could not bring down Barkha Dutt from her exalted pedestal even for a month. That is the kind of power they have.

But now, for the first time in the history of independent India someone has dared to touch this power circle. Warnings were circulated at the lower level for the last about 6 months. Last week the Culture Ministry decided to send a notice to them. This, perhaps, is the reason for these intellectuals to suddenly flare up against “intolerance”.

For example, painter Jatin Das, father of actress Nandita Das is occupying a large government bungalow at one of the premium locations in Delhi free of cost for many years. Government has sent an eviction notice to him. This is the real reason for Nandita Das strongly speaking about intolerance in television channels and writing in English newspapers (all diligently carried by the network).

Even for a man as strong Modi, I think he has touched a wrong nerve. These elements are too powerful. They can destroy India through the media worldwide. They can create a picture that rivers of blood are flowing in India. They can make businessmen around the world to halt. They can wreck the tourism industry. The truth is there is no other power centre like this in India. Tolerating them is unavoidable for India. And Modi’s intolerance of them is extremely dangerous – not only for him but for the country itself.
hi
i visited this INDIA INTERNATIONAL CENTRE many times.....in fact my friend was working there in 80s....its huge building....

many tamil steno/typist used to be there....this is really a HI FI area...

Delhi as a whole is just like Washington in the US. Not just in arts, there are people who have similar apparatus in all fields, like science for example. They give each other awards and chairmanships in various positions. Just because of its length of stay, we have to blame the Congress govt from the times of Nehru and Indira Gandhi for this system of feudal patronage.
hi

these awardess generally congress period awardees.....

I agee with what the author Jeymohan has said but would like to add that BJP's leadership also allowed lot of nut cases with their own party as well as from the Sangh Parivar to talk nonsense and gave sufficient ammunition to the opposition to target the Government . Had Modi& Co just stuck to the Development Agenda this negative image would not have happened .
Sangh Parivar is the strength as well as the weakness of BJP. Sangh Parivar have infiltrated into every parties and "forums".

1)They can talk about everything in the world for one hour in colorful English with the right number of jargons. But on the 61st minute, the color will start fading. Actually they don’t know anything in the real sense. Almost all are like the little boxes we find in attics which held things a long time back”, said Venkat Swaminathan.

2)“Not only were these people just parasites, they also derive great power by showing themselves as progressive leftists. Did you notice it?”. I said “Yes” with an amazement.

3)But I can only pity those people who engage in to political debates based on the supposedly rare gems of wisdom dished out by these “intellectuals” through the middle pages of English newspapers. These intellectuals never actually know the real politics. They just shout on the basis of the superfluous knowledge and stand points, with the prime space enabled by the network. That’s all.
And this sounds familiar to me in this forum.

4)Even for a man as strong Modi, I think he has touched a wrong nerve. These elements are too powerful. They can destroy India through the media worldwide. They can create a picture that rivers of blood are flowing in India. They can make businessmen around the world to halt. They can wreck the tourism industry. The truth is there is no other power centre like this in India. Tolerating them is unavoidable for India. And Modi’s intolerance of them is extremely dangerous – not only for him but for the country itself.

There is a way to handle this problem.

If I were Modi, I would quitely put one or two sleuths from a spy agency to go after each of these so called "intellectuals" and gather complete info about their life style with videos and photos. Then I will invite them to meet me one by one. In a one to one chat over a drink/coffee I will tell them to discipline themselves. And then show what I have about them.

They would certainly not like to lose their "leftist progressive intellectual brain trust" title. So they will keep quite or run away to another country. Good riddance. And Indians will live happily thereafter.

Although it sounds like an over-generalisation, Indians (the arm chair variety who fills up the forum space) are basically lazy to do the background check of the stories that are planted by the media. The over-whelming cut-paste articles dotting the General Discussion thread should be an easy indicator.

Add to this purely partisan postings of the prolific posters go unchallenged because the average reader just reads the caption and skips on to the next topic. To substantiate, the prolific poster, in post # 10 arranged for copy-pasting of an article attributed to Gulzar which was published in Hindu newspaper on Oct 24, 2015 to buttress his claim (recycling the old hash and keeping the issue alive). Is it possible the prejudiced poster failed to read the quote on intolerance by another celebrity, Adnan Sami in Indian Express just 3 days ago? Hardly likely. But inconvenient news are being given a convenient miss. Here is what Adnan Sami said :

"Asked about concerns raised by actors Aamir Khan and Shah Rukh Khan of growing intolerance in India, Sami said everyone was entitled to their opinion based on personal experience. “Had there been intolerance, I would not have taken Indian citizenship. I have never experienced intolerance. There is no intolerance in India,” he said. - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/music/pakistani-singer-adnan-sami-receives-indian-citizenship-certificate/#sthash.Q6BLAP9g.dpuf" and here is the link: http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/music/pakistani-singer-adnan-sami-receives-indian-citizenship-certificate/

Now coming to the main point of intolerance. I set google search for articles on intolerance for the period from 1 Jan 2012 to 30 April 2014 (two years and odd period prior to the present government) and the search returned the following result: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=i.../2012,cd_max:30/04/2014,ctr:countryIN&start=0

The stuff is same and the bemoaning is same. Only difference is there was no award wapsi and no crocodile tears in our forum and no copy paste jobs on intolerance existing then.

The cacophony of intolerance is being raised because the elite members of India International Centre are being dislocated out of their comfort zone and I intend to provide more articles on this in my future posts focussing on the noise brigade of the media gang.

Last edited:
MEDIA LIES:

Why is the media jittery and over anxious these days? Because their lies are documented, brought to light and exposed and are made to account because of the Social Media. The overwhelming opinion of main stream media is that social media is over sympathetic to the present regime and they have now a platform to counter the left leaning, liberal media which is frequently fibbing (and called as FIBERALS) by many.

Here is the list of Media lies exposed during the month of October 2015. This month also covers the lies peddled in the media which were rehashed in this forum:

http://www.opindia.com/2015/11/top-lies-spread-by-indian-media-in-october-2015/

One can find links to month-wise tabulation of lies peddled by media at the bottom of the web page.

There is a way to handle this problem.

If I were Modi, I would quitely put one or two sleuths from a spy agency to go after each of these so called "intellectuals" and gather complete info about their life style with videos and photos. Then I will invite them to meet me one by one. In a one to one chat over a drink/coffee I will tell them to discipline themselves. And then show what I have about them.

They would certainly not like to lose their "leftist progressive intellectual brain trust" title. So they will keep quite or run away to another country. Good riddance. And Indians will live happily thereafter.

If Modi ends up inviting each and every intellectual for tea etc he will be spending most of his days only by that and as a PM he has better things to do .He has to only see to it that he / his party does not give ammuniation to these pseudo intellectuals through either his silence or through the opening of the mouths of some nut cases within his party / the sangh parivar and Modi has to be the Modi when he campained for the elections in 2014 i.e focus only on the development agenda and directly deal with people .

Add to this purely partisan postings of the prolific posters go unchallenged because the average reader just reads the caption and skips on to the next topic. To substantiate, the prolific poster, in post # 10 arranged for copy-pasting of an article attributed to Gulzar which was published in Hindu newspaper on Oct 24, 2015 to buttress his claim (recycling the old hash and keeping the issue alive). Is it possible the prejudiced poster failed to read the quote on intolerance by another celebrity, Adnan Sami in Indian Express just 3 days ago? Hardly likely.

I think you meant a different post..Not post # 10 as there is no such mention there

I would like to share the following article published on October 27, 2015

“This is why scientists are not joining the award-return bandwagon

Excerpts:

Rukmini Bhaya Nair, in her recent article in NDTV has posed a question to scientists as to why they were not returning their awards when a lot of writers and other ’artistes’ were returning theirs.

…………………………………….

…………………………………….

In fact the scientists have been speaking through their continuous research publications on several issues, some of them concerning our own life and death (like developing vaccines, warning about pollution and air quality). How many of you have used the same passion for listening to their words and spreading them? So much for reverentially looking up to them.

Lastly, Ms. Nair, 11 Nuclear scientists of India have died under suspicious circumstances in the last 4 years. How come none of the writers uttered a murmur about that, and you are talking about scientists being apathetic?

Read more at: http://www.opindia.com/2015/10/this-is-why-scientists-are-not-joining-the-award-return-bandwagon/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back