• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Smartas, Are we Shaivaites/Shaktas in disguise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
re

in continuation of the earlier reply , ...

smartas are those that do things according to the smriti just as those who do things according to the shruthi become shrouthis .....

essentially there is no distinction between saiva/shaktha/vaishnava ..... depending how u live u r either a smarta or not one ...

...the smriti being secondary to the shruthi is also less demanding about austerities ... so smarta practices are "lagu" in comparison and as well ...

V V

Kindly educate me on this,"the smriti being secondary to the shruthi is also less demanding about austerities" .If there is no distinction,then why do you write as,one being primary and the other being secondary.Clearly aren't you distinguishing the two as one is primary and the other secondary?Plz consider my asking as a doubt,not trying to belittle your knowledge.Thanks.

sb

.....the practice of shruthi's instructions are demanding and pratya vaya ( subject to strict repurcussions of ommission and commission )

smarta sampradaya gives the general population some laxity in those respects ....

vaishnavas/sakthas/saivas are all smartas

ok bala .. u r confusing two things ..

i sed there is a distinction between shruthi and smriti .. yes there is ... shruthi refers to the vedas - those texts that r primarily orally preserved and received ... the smriti (written) are the secondary texts written by sages to explain and orient people to the contents of the shruthi ...

i sed there is no distinction between saiva/shaktha/vaishnava as far as being a smarta is concerned .. coz u are a smarta no matter wht type of smriti u follow be it saiva/vaishnava/shaktha .....

re

ok bala .. u r confusing two things ..

i sed there is a distinction between shruthi and smriti .. yes there is ... shruthi refers to the vedas - those texts that r primarily orally preserved and received ... the smriti (written) are the secondary texts written by sages to explain and orient people to the contents of the shruthi ...

i sed there is no distinction between saiva/shaktha/vaishnava as far as being a smarta is concerned .. coz u are a smarta no matter wht type of smriti u follow be it saiva/vaishnava/shaktha .....

thnx v v..understood now.

sb

Smartas strictly speaking are Brahmins in SOUTH INDIA following the Sanatana Dharma Philosophy of Adi Sankara.Most practically are worshippers of Siva and wear Vibhuthi.They also worship Ganesa and Mother godess

In strict sense of the terms, the interpretation given by vivekam vairagyam is correct and accepted by all scholars.

'Shruthi' is what is heard and transmitted through repeated recital; whereas 'Smriti' is a sacred text that is transmitted both by recital and writing.

It is also true 'vaishnavites' of today hate to be called 'smarthas' and being bracketed with smarthas who worship Siva too.

re

In strict sense of the terms, the interpretation given by vivekam vairagyam is correct and accepted by all scholars.

'Shruthi' is what is heard and transmitted through repeated recital; whereas 'Smriti' is a sacred text that is transmitted both by recital and writing.

It is also true 'vaishnavites' of today hate to be called 'smarthas' and being bracketed with smarthas who worship Siva too.

pannvalan ji

did not know that "'vaishnavites' of today hate to be called 'smarthas' and being bracketed with smarthas who worship Siva too. "All along i had been of the opinion,that Vaishnavas were prohibhited to visit Shiva Sthalams,as per their achaaryaal sampradayams.Thanks for this info though.

sb:amen:

SHRUTHIS AND SMRITIS

1. ‘Shruthi’ means that which is heard. That is the reason it is called ‘ezhudha kilavi’ in Tamil. It means unwritten word/text. In contrast, ‘smriti’ is reduced to writing.

2. Understandably, shruthis belong to ancient times and smritis evolved much later. Some scholars estimate the age of shruthis as 2nd B.C. and before.

3. Since no standardized text was there then, shruthis were learnt by carefully listening to one’s master and memorized and perfected through repeated recital by oneself, under the close guidance and supervision of one’s master.

4. In case of shruthis, emphasis was laid on pronunciation and modulation. They were open to differing interpretations. Many a time, pronunciation varied as the geographical region and in course of time, many words or sounds also underwent changes or distortions. Thus, there evolved many versions for the original making it difficult for the scholars of later periods to find the original version with 100% certainty.

5. Smritis were in standardized text form and hence less distortions in them took place owing to change in geographical region or age.

6. The language style and syntax differed between shruthis and smritis.

7. Although shruthis are considered more sacred and command more respect than the smritis, it must have stemmed from the fear that preservation of shruthis (that do not have one single version with 100% authenticity) is more important and it is the duty of all Hindus. But great scholars and religious leaders attach equal importance to both.

Last edited:
smiritis are insights gained from shrutis...

mahaperiyaval's explanation on smriti is available in kamakoti.org

MM

KAMAKOTI.ORG is an awesome website,thanks to all those Pilani dudes for the techie help and of course present achaaryaals.

sb

Folks,

Shastras were never meant to be blindly followed by a community. Respected community elders always had the authority to change them acoording to the requirements of times.

Our problem today is that we have lost that village community groupings. This is why a Brahmin from the villages near Tanjore follows customs etc. that were quite different from for example, one from Pune, Maharashtra or even one from Tirunelveli, TN. But then we can never go back to the way it was. Times have changed and we also in a lot of ways changed with them.

Please read the following, which in my opinion one of the best articles ever written on the Shastras and their place in our society. This also explains how the Varna system slowly degenerated in to Jathis and then how certain odious custome came to be.

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/archives/2001/1-2/2001-1-22.shtml

Our struggle is as members of TN Brahmin community, which is a member of the greater Hindu community, which is a part of the greater Indian community and which in turn is a part of the global community, how do we define our Dharma today. Dharma never was a frozen edict. If it were, with penalties attached for not following the Shastras (which by the way varied themselves), then I don't think we would be in the current position of having a sizeable dalit population within our religion.

KRS

re

Folks,

Shastras were never meant to be blindly followed by a community. Respected community elders always had the authority to change them acoording to the requirements of times.

Our problem today is that we have lost that village community groupings. This is why a Brahmin from the villages near Tanjore follows customs etc. that were quite different from for example, one from Pune, Maharashtra or even one from Tirunelveli, TN. But then we can never go back to the way it was. Times have changed and we also in a lot of ways changed with them.

Please read the following, which in my opinion one of the best articles ever written on the Shastras and their place in our society. This also explains how the Varna system slowly degenerated in to Jathis and then how certain odious custome came to be.

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/archives/2001/1-2/2001-1-22.shtml

Our struggle is as members of TN Brahmin community, which is a member of the greater Hindu community, which is a part of the greater Indian community and which in turn is a part of the global community, how do we define our Dharma today. Dharma never was a frozen edict. If it were, with penalties attached for not following the Shastras (which by the way varied themselves), then I don't think we would be in the current position of having a sizeable dalit population within our religion.

KRS

KRS

My 2 cents.

The Taithriya Upanishad exhorts students to speak truth and practice dharma."Satyam Vada;Dharmam Chara".According to Shri Shankara Bhagavath Pada, satyam=speaking truth and dharmam=translating satyam into real life action.

'sathyamithi yatha sashtrarthata sa eve anushthiya manaha dharmanama bhavathi'.

'vedo khilo dhar maulam;dharmo rakshati rakshitah'=the vedas are the root of all dharmas;dharma protected protects.

sb:pray2:

Dear s007bala Ji,

Agreed. The issue is not whether to follow Dharma. Dharma expresses what is inherent in a human being. Every human being has to follow various dharmas (towards higher authority, towards wife, towards children etc.) in his/her life. There are thousands of such dharmic codes to cover everything that goes on in the society exist. The issue is that the Dharma Sastras by different authors vary significantly, community by community, region by region. This accounts for why the Brahmins of Bengal (some of them) treat fish as a vegetable.

When we say then all Sastras are true, that envisioned that all Sastras eveolved to serve respective communities. Sastras, divined be men never were intended to be 'static'. This is why, there are supposed to be 14 Manus for each Yuga.

Regards,
KRS

re

Dear s007bala Ji,

Agreed. The issue is not whether to follow Dharma. Dharma expresses what is inherent in a human being. Every human being has to follow various dharmas (towards higher authority, towards wife, towards children etc.) in his/her life. There are thousands of such dharmic codes to cover everything that goes on in the society exist. The issue is that the Dharma Sastras by different authors vary significantly, community by community, region by region. This accounts for why the Brahmins of Bengal (some of them) treat fish as a vegetable.

Please revert back to calling me as Bala,i enjoy that.Thanks.

That is why Lord Krishna explains to Shri Arjuna,the personality traits of Brahmana,Kshatriya,Vaishya,Shudra -Dharma's or inherent nature in each and every individual in the world.An universal message.No wonder Einstein,Oppenheimer,Gandhiji,Nehru.....etc were rapturous of Sage Vysa's work on Bhagavath Gita.So,all dharma's to function peacefully,all need to align their doshas in harmony.When injustice occurs automatically,one of the dharmas of people or all dharmas of people sort it out.

Yes correct,Bengali brahmins,Kashmiri Brahmins...etc and many brahmin communities eat everything under the sun.That is why Kanchi Achaaryaals say,anyone who crosses the river godavari,does not have the dosham of eating non-vegetarian food or ways & means different in cultural ways prevailing in South India for brahmins.

When we say then all Sastras are true, that envisioned that all Sastras eveolved to serve respective communities. Sastras, divined be men never were intended to be 'static'. This is why, there are supposed to be 14 Manus for each Yuga.

Regards,
KRS

KRS nothing in this world, is static,everything is 'chanchalam' all the time or dynamic,including bhu-loka where we dwell,isn't it?

Correct about the yuga cycles as per vedic standards,where 'jyotisham' which is again a 'angam' of vedam itself,gives us knowledge.

But today's astronomy has fine tuned such findings of the past,and intelligent amongst us,synchronise the findings of modern science with that of past vedic standards of a different era or yugam,and try to lead a happy life for moksham.

I was viewing the conversation of President BHO,with members of congress,with a small group of young children asking all sorts of questions to astronauts in space-an international crew working for the welfare of earthlings in earth.NASA is supramacy,and we should get back to this status in all spheres of American life,is my fond hope & ambition.

So,coming back to topic,smartas worship ie iyers like me,all gods especially if they belong to advaitham school.

( Shivan,Brahman,Vishnu,Shakthi,Ganapathy,Skanda,Vayu,Jalam,Abraham............etc)

sb

Dear Mr Bala,

In the site Bramacharyam vs. komanam, wherein you have mentioned that wearing komanam normally by people who works in field and also indicates that below poverty line. However, Kaupinadhari has clearly stated that it is good and holiness and also good from the health point of view. Can u tell me is it good to wear komanam ? Of course I am wearing komanam for the last 3 years and at times to office also. I find it very convenient and of course I have a liking towards it.
Can u explain.
Ramachandra

To All, Wonderful Posting and replies. Our Shruthy mean Anagatha Natham,which is ringing in every one all 24hrs.Shuthey was given as NAAM by the GURU and do going on Simran(repected recital). SRK.

re

Dear Mr Bala,

In the site Bramacharyam vs. komanam, wherein you have mentioned that wearing komanam normally by people who works in field and also indicates that below poverty line. However, Kaupinadhari has clearly stated that it is good and holiness and also good from the health point of view. Can u tell me is it good to wear komanam ? Of course I am wearing komanam for the last 3 years and at times to office also. I find it very convenient and of course I have a liking towards it.
Can u explain.
Ramachandra

ramachandra

if you are pursuing spiritual path,then in old fashioned sages used komanam to enhance their vairagyam of brahmachariyam.i believe the design of komanam help to attain it.but from modern point of view,at least for me its too damn dangerous and ended up in embarassing situations,which if explained in details will have you & others rolling over the floor and laughing :(.

sb

I am a Smarta too.But our Kuladeivam is Venkatachalapathy.The family tradition as I know for four generation the Sarman of the eldest son contains /ends with veeraraghava,We are of the Sringeri Peetham.We worship all deities. I perform Sidhhi Vinayaka Puja daily and do Lalta Sahsranama Parayana also.It is not possible AND ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT APPROACH TO CMPARTAMANTALISE A SMARTHA. HE IS ONE WHO FOLLOWS ADI SANKARA'S SANATHANA DHARMA.

re

I am a Smarta too.But our Kuladeivam is Venkatachalapathy.The family tradition as I know for four generation the Sarman of the eldest son contains /ends with veeraraghava,We are of the Sringeri Peetham.We worship all deities. I perform Sidhhi Vinayaka Puja daily and do Lalta Sahsranama Parayana also.It is not possible AND ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT APPROACH TO CMPARTAMANTALISE A SMARTHA. HE IS ONE WHO FOLLOWS ADI SANKARA'S SANATHANA DHARMA.

it appears to me that you are my dayadhi :)

sb

Please go through all the posts before posting a reply. You seem to be going only by the heading.

Thank you.

You fit very well with the definition of Shanmadha/Shaddharshana Smarta religion which I had desscribed in my posts.

BTW Adi Sankara did not define any Sanatana Dharma in his works.

Last edited:
N....

adi-sankara did define sanathana dharma,as per my understanding.In fact it was he who streamlined the bhakthi worship for sanathana dharma,not that it was dis-organised totally before.He was instrumental in blunting buddhism,jainism....and other such schools of philosophy.Frankly,we all owe a big one to shankara bhagavath pada.smarthas are dwa-mada darshana believers,imho.

sb

N....

adi-sankara did define sanathana dharma,as per my understanding.In fact it was he who streamlined the bhakthi worship for sanathana dharma,not that it was dis-organised totally before.He was instrumental in blunting buddhism,jainism....and other such schools of philosophy.Frankly,we all owe a big one to shankara bhagavath pada.smarthas are dwa-mada darshana believers,imho.

sb

Please do not twist my posts. This thread is not about Adi Sankara. This is about Smarta religion. I have made repeated mention of the contribution of Adi Sankara and the Sankara Maths in the development of the Smarta religion.

Please quote the text where Adi Sankara has made use of the term Sanatana Dharma. I would like to post it in the ISKCON forums where Adi Sankara is attacked viciously in the name of Sanatana Dharma.

bala!

before BP , Kumara Sheela already blunted buddhist and jainists.. so say "The Vedas" by Mahaswami..

BP only convinced the Purva Mimamsha on the worth of Uttara Mimamsha...
this too is from the above book.

There is Leela of God as Thigambara Bikshandi and Lord Vishnua as Thgambari playing havoc in the midst of tapasvins of Nameesharanya Munees with the climax of Natrajas dance - this legend is played out in Chidambaram festivals.

There is a beautiful insight to be gained here...

re

bala!

before BP , Kumara Sheela already blunted buddhist and jainists.. so say "The Vedas" by Mahaswami..

BP only convinced the Purva Mimamsha on the worth of Uttara Mimamsha...
this too is from the above book.

There is Leela of God as Thigambara Bikshandi and Lord Vishnua as Thgambari playing havoc in the midst of tapasvins of Nameesharanya Munees with the climax of Natrajas dance - this legend is played out in Chidambaram festivals.

There is a beautiful insight to be gained here...

m m

is there a website where i can read mahaswamigals book the vedas or is in kamakoti.org itself?

sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back