• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Smartas - The Eclectic Hindus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will appreciate if you would consolidate with real examples instead of generalising. Otherwise this post does not convey or clarify what was wrong, who was responsible and what is acceptable and what is learnt.

It appears all sympathy is directed towards those who left for their own perceived or real offensive behaviour of others; and no sympathy for those who had to swallow and shut their mouths when invectives were thrown in a polished language.

It is another day; it has to be different.

Folks,

I want to add a few of my thoughts here, perhaps they can be taken as an addendum to Sri Praveen Ji's postings.

First and foremost, let me say this. I do not relish moderating. When I said once that I was impartial to all folks because they all complain equally, my dear younger brother, whose philosophy is completely opposite of mine, said that it only showed that I was not fair to anyone!

I understand that folks bring their passion to this Forum - be it to practice the art of language and thought, be it to propound a value system, or in extreme cases to muffle a voice that they do not agree with for whatever reason. But while doing so, when a member is left to feel hurt as a human being, not because of over sensitiveness on one's part, but because of the nastiness of uncivilized language directed against one, then we all have a stake and responsibility to correct the situation. We are a family by coming together here voluntarily, and so we all need to be careful not to hurt each other's sentiments.

That is why, irrespective of a person's origin and perceived motivations here, his/her right to express his/her ideas have been and is welcome here. But careless words break this ideal. On all sides. Careless words lead to responses that are more careless, escalating the situation to a food fight, and before the 'police' can respond, civilization runs away. I will continue to moderate harsh language and attacks on individual persons, irrespective of who they are. Because, this is my job.

One of the reasons I abstained in the recent past from the Forum was that how certain things happened and my own unfortunate unwitting role in them. Just to give a glimpse: A sweet 'sibling' quit from the Forum because of a feeling that I have wronged her; a younger brother quit because he thought there was a coterie against him that I could not control; another fellow traveler quit because he was exposed to very harsh words from a particular group of folks and we as Moderators did not support him; a fellow from a different community, though well meaning, was forced to quit because of some implied threats from unknown sources and unethical conduct from a member of our own...... the list has been too many. But I came back because, I, after much consideration have decided that I could not abandon Sri Praveen Ji and his beautiful vision for this site.

This is why I will continue to do my job. If folks think that I am partial then so be it. I will stop doing my job when Sri Praveen Ji tells me to go away.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri Sarang Ji,

There is no 'sympathy' involved here. I was citing some examples only to throw light on a Moderator's job.

I am not asking you to pass judgement on what happened. Rather to appreciate the Forum's objectives.

Regards,
KRS

I will appreciate if you would consolidate with real examples instead of generalising. Otherwise this post does not convey or clarify what was wrong, who was responsible and what is acceptable and what is learnt.

It appears all sympathy is directed towards those who left for their own perceived or real offensive behaviour of others; and no sympathy for those who had to swallow and shut their mouths when invectives were thrown in a polished language.

It is another day; it has to be different.

hi praveen ji,
i think...the age increases ....the ego also increase....the main problem here is more ego clashes with bashing of any community...

especially brahmin bashing is intolerable.....

The reason i mentioned "other communities" is because of two reasons
1) we have enough on our plate already.
2) current political scenario.

Dear Praveen,

Your position is understandable. The last thing that anyone would want is for you to get into any trouble on account of this forum.

At the same time, I would want to point out that this is one of the few forums left wherein tamil brahmins can defend against harsh and unjustifed criticisms without blatant bias against them. I just hope it lasts!

hi sangom sir,
nice words...i agreed with u....even though i am a smartha....i followed vainavam in our family tradition....we follow keethu naamam

as vaishnavas does....still we follow moderate vainavam....not the both extremes of iyengars....we are iyers with vainavam system....

generally iyengars fanatics known well to me...i was in thirupati for more than eight years....i know tengalai/vadagalai system very

welll......i put naamam ..still im a smartha ..im iyer too...

Hi TBS sir,

This is interesting because my father in law (and grand father in law) wear namam too although they are vadama. I think they may be Keethu namakara too as you mention. I saw in another thread that you had asked for keethu namakaras to contact you but, that thread is closed, so, I am posting here. Nice to see so many different internal systems among the iyer sect itself!

Padma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back