• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Siva Temples mentioned in the Peria Puranam

Hello All,

I recently read the Peria Puranam (English Version) and am deeply moved by the stories of the 63 Nayanar saints.

Is there some list of the temples for Shiva identified in the Peria Puranam?

Nowadays, it is possible that we can locate on the map each temple and know about the Sthala Puranam, Vriksham, Gopuram, Tank, Rituals Vazhipadugal) , the Padigams and anything else before undertaking a pilgrimage. We can also arrange for accommodation, travel etc.,

Many of us who have emigrated from India may have a desire to undertake this pilgrimage, an need additional information, Many of us have do not have close family in India to assist with these kind of information.

For example, I stumbled upon the website for Thiruvottiyur (Thygarajeswarar and Vadivuda Amman) and was absolutely stunned to read all the available information.

Any information will be helpful for all devotees.

Best wishes

Hello All,

I am currently in the process of collecting detailed information about list of all and ancient temples with the assistance of Archealogical Society of India for a project. I can share as much available. If someone can step in to organise the information for this forum. I have this idea in place.

1. Route Map to reach the place
2. Amenities and Facilities available
3. Temple History and photos if any
4. Current temple status.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Hello All,

I am currently in the process of collecting detailed information about list of all and ancient temples with the assistance of Archealogical Society of India for a project. I can share as much available. If someone can step in to organise the information for this forum. I have this idea in place.

1. Route Map to reach the place
2. Amenities and Facilities available
3. Temple History and photos if any
4. Current temple status.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Dear Shanmugam,

I am glad that you concur with the idea.

I am not proficient with data base creation, updating websites, or any of the skills needed to undertake this task. My typing skills are also minimal.

Let us pray to Parvati and Sivan (our Ammaiyappan) Sivan and Parvathi for a devotee to take up this labor of Bhakthi.

Best wishes and warm regards

Radhakrishnan

Hello Radhakrishnan,

As an attempt to make it easier and also allow assistance from others, I have hired a dedicated UI Developer and Database Person from freelance community to assist me in my work.

Please do assist me with me whatever information you can contribute.

I currently have detailed information on 30 Nayanars, their locations, routes, boarding lodging, assistance to said places so on and so forth.

Hired Help is organizing the content into most Indian Languages.

I shall share the information shortly here. I am not sure, if I can insert the weblink here.

Regards,
Shanmugham.

Radhakrishnan
This seems to be good, has info such as which Naayanar sang here and the map etc
திருமுறைத் தலங்கள்-276
eg. திருக்கழுக்குன்றம்
அப்பர், சுந்தரர், ஞானசம்பந்தர் -பாடல் பெற்ற தலம்.கார்த்திகை கடைசி திங்கள் வேதகிரீஸ்வரருக்கு 1008 சங்காபிஷேகம்.
hope you can read Tamil
regards Mangalam

I am not well versed in this subject.
I was doing a project to locate my ancestral Village, which happens to be a Shiva Sthalam.
I came across this site and was very useful.

Last edited:
What is a Paadal Petra Sthalam?
Lord Shiva, popularly termed as the lord of destruction, but without whom creation cannot occur, is symbolized by the Shiva Lingam. Saivism is the major faith in the Indian system of belief, that worships Shiva as its principal God. Shiva temples are spread all over India. Most important among them, glorified by the 63 Tamil Nayanmars, particularly the 3 viz, Thirunavukarasar (Appar), Sundarar and Sambandar in their Tevaram hymn, are revered as the Tevara Paadal Petra Sthalams. They are 274 Shiva temples in number and out of which 264 temples are situated in Tamilnadu. The 274 odd shrines that have at least one Pathigamcomposed in their honor are referred to commonly as Paadal Petra Stalangal, or more generally Shivastalams.
SundararNo. of Sivasthalams
SambandarNo. of Sivasthalams
ThirunavukarasarNo. of Sivasthalams
Pathigams composed in the praise of the Lord Shiva after visiting the sivasthalam and temple personally125
Pathigams composed in the praise of the Lord Shiva but did not visit the sivasthalam or the temple98
Pathigams not composed by Thirunavukarasar51
Pathigams composed in the praise of the Lord Shiva after visiting the sivasthalam and temple personally219
Pathigams composed in the praise of the Lord Shiva but did not visit the sivasthalam or the temple12
Pathigams not composed by Sambandar43
Pathigams composed in the praise of the Lord Shiva after visiting the sivasthalam and temple personally84
Pathigams composed in the praise of the Lord Shiva but did not visit the sivasthalam or the temple54
Pathigams not composed by Sundarar136
Thirunavukarasar, Thirugnanasambandar and Sundarar were the first Nayanmarswho composed songs in the praise of Lord Shiva after visiting the temples of Lord Shiva and brought out the glory of the God by their pathigams. The 3 Nayanmars visited these temples along with their followers in spite of the inconveniences they faced while travelling the nook and corner of Tamilnadu in search of these temples. There are instances when God Shiva himself had directed them and shown the way to some of the temples so that the above Nayanmars could visit these temples and compose Pathigams. These Pathigaams (poems or songs) composed in the classical Tamil language are of immense value to the Tamil literature.
Saivite Tirumuraigal have been grouped into 12. The first 7 Tirumuraigal consists of the Pathigams composed by Thirunavukarasar, Thirugnanasambandar and Sundarar and are collectively and popularly known as Tevara Paadalgal. These Tevara Paadalgal convey one message clearly - that the temples referred in the Pathigams were in existence 1000 years before.
There is a saying that Lord Shiva himself had made a comment on the services rendered by the 3 first Nayanmars and it goes like this to quote in Tamil language.

Gnanasambandan thannai paadinaan
Thirunavukarasan ennai paadinaan
Sundaran Ponnai paadinaan

which means that Gnanasambandan composed the songs in the praise of god bringing him also into the picutre, Thirunavukarasar composed the songs purely in the praise of god, whereas Sundarar composed his songs in the praise of god and at the same time requesting the god for wealth.

Latest ads

Back