• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Singing other faith songs by Carnatic musicians

Dear Chandru Sir,

Curiosity kills the cat! Bs are just curious to find out how their favorite singers

'deal' with the new project! Already many top rated musicians are spoiling the

chastity of Carnatic music in the form of 'Fusion' which mostly become 'Confusion'!!

The traditional form is facing constant changes and rasikās accept and welcome them.

There are several sets of audience varying from traditional lovers to modern lovers!

Each set claims superiority over the other and encourage their favorite singer!

One sarva madha keerthanai taught in my school days - 'ellām avan seyal' was changed

as 'ellām Sivan seyal' by a top
ranked Carnatic singer!! :cool:

BTW, becoming well versed in Carnatic music is NOT an easy task! Hence the top musicians

are on demand. And some singers like to 'Make hay when the Sun shines'! :popcorn:

Already many top rated musicians are spoiling the

chastity of Carnatic music in the form of 'Fusion' which mostly become 'Confusion'!!

The traditional form is facing constant changes and rasikās accept and welcome them.

Vanakkam,

RR ji said this well. Fusion does create confusion. I do think for the sake of creativity, altering the gem-like compositon is not good.

Not long ago I remember the great danseuse Vyjayanthimala ji echoing the same sentiment on bharatanatyam these days here
http://www.asianage.com/entertainme...n-is-total-confusion-says-vyjayanthimala.html

You can also see Vyjayanthimala ji's confused look seeing the performance of another creative artiste here in this clip throughout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmt-i5onGIU

Anyhow I hope there will be a way preserving and propogating the gems of our music, dance and performing arts without diluting them in name of fusion.

Illustrious carnatic music legend D.K. Pattammal had sung besides Thyagaraja Kritis also for national causes which includes for freedom like ஆடுவோமே பள்ளி படுவோமே ஆனந்த சுதந்திரம் அடைந்துவிட்டோம், but could she ever have thought that her prized grand daughter will use her 'gurukul' type of learning from her own mother and grand mother is going to use her precious skill learned to sing hyms someday....??

Will the soul of D.K. Pattammal forgive ...???

Here are more to share against hollow arguments:

Who Moved My Music?

Snapshot

* Carnatic music has historically been linked to bhakti and is an integral part of the Hindu worship system.

* Appropriation of the music by Evangelists is unfair, and what is more worrying is musicians playing into the hands of this group

e49775ca_93b0_4a2e_b971_df59bc32a4a4.jpg

The recent upheaval in the rather sedate and dignified world of Carnatic music has left many feeling unsettled. The issue was the singing of songs in praise of Jesus by a host of top rung Carnatic musicians. I had vented my ire on the maverick Carnatic musician T M Krishna when he attacked the rationale for the Carnatic fraternity to question the artistes. When I posted it on social media, I just was getting it out of my system. The kind of chorus that I got from people across the spectrum was something that I was unprepared for. (T M Krishna may be disappointed to know that the support came not from the upper echelons of the Hindu society, but from many friends and total strangers in other communities including the Christian community). Once the initial dust settled down, I sat down to think why this issue affected many of us in such a deep manner. There have been in the past many such assaults that have been taken rather stoically. So why was this different and why was the reaction so swift?

The Positioning Of Carnatic Music In The Hindu Household

Indian classical music is as old as Sanathana Dharma itself. The seven notes and the octaves in the Indian music are referred to in the Samaveda. Indian classical music, of which Carnatic forms a part, has historically been linked to bhakti and is an integral part of the Hindu worship system. There is a song aligned with almost every Hindu festival – and there is a musical instrument in the hands of some of our principal deities. Saraswati – the goddess of learning is never depicted without her veena and is known by another name Veena Vani. There are folklores about the gandharvas (musicians) the celestial nymphs who adorned the court of Indra, the kind of the devas. In traditional households even today a puja ends with a song and an aarti. It is not by accident that most of the kritis (songs) in Carnatic music is in praise of the Hindu gods and godesses, the gurus and in general about the Hindu way of life.

Read more at: https://swarajyamag.com/culture/who-moved-my-music

Last edited by a moderator:
When Violin, Mandolin, Keyboard and Saxophone were introduced in Carnatic music, why was there

NO objection? These are NOT in the hands of any Hindu deities!

Oh! They are from the West! :(

Inculturation and culture piracy

Let me add a few lines on the long term intent of xtian missionaries :
1. They have been slowly and silently appropriating Hindu traditions and culture in a manner that, what is markedly Hindu will no more seem to be. It started with calling Bible as Veda, Sunday school as Veda agama Palli. This was 100s of years ago. This was succeeded by Amavasya and Ekaadasi Japakoottam,. building churches like temples, building churches near hill top temples etc. Recent times have seen shameless pirating of venkatachalapathi suprabatham, copied in tune and substance into 'yesu suprabhatam'. This theft of our cultural heritage. The idea is to rob us of our dear unique cultural artifacts, which is a crime under the UNESCO Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions adopted on 20 October 2005 and to which India is a signatory. Please see UNESCO portal ( i cant post the link) ..We earnestly appeal to Sabha leadership to write to Government of India to enact a law based on this convention ... Right now it is not legally binding on the Government.
2. ‎ They have set up institutions like Tamil.Maiyam in Chennai, Kalai Kaviri in Trichy whose intent is to xtianise Carnatic Music, convert bharathanaaatyam into yesu naatyam, yoga into kristuyoga etc. These are being funded by missionary agencies from abroad and supported by 'secular' hindus . Sadly these hindus do not know what they are supporting.
3. ‎ At recent points in time they want carnatic music, bharatham, etc to become 'secular' like they have done to Pongal and Chithirai Varusha Pirappu.
4. ‎The Carnatic tradition is intensely religious and most rasikaas see this is a bhakti yoga. It is not to be secularised and trivialised as these missionary forcesintend to. Eventually, noting the UNESCO recognition for the December Katcheri, they want to infiltrate the Sabhas and xtianise this under the garb if secularisation. Soon there will be attempts to infiltrate sabhas, run xtian kacheris, etc. What all are we willing to secularize:?: our symbols, our religion, our temples, our culture, our unique cultural artifacts, etc?

The venerable Ilayaraja realised this and stepped away after a brief thiruvachagam (a trojan horse) collaboration with Tamil maiyam. What we are giving away is our precious heritage which is deeply ingrained in our religion and no one has any right to take it away from Hindus in a manner sought yo be done by the likes of TMK. Let missionary forces do what they can on their own. We don't need to help them to attain that , faster. No carnatic musician has a right to trade away our heritage for a purpose that *extends to eventually obliterating and degrading Sanatana Dharma*.

All Sabhas and sponsors like Nalli Silks, RMKV Silks, Indian Bank, Dalmia Cement and many more sponsors should know that it is the Hindu Rasikas who fund and throng the Sabhas and make the music festival thrive, be successful and profitable.

We condemn any action of any singer which intends to take away or sell what does not belong to them .

We request cease any business relationship with such sponsors and Singers who do not wish to appreciate these genuine sentiments. We need to talk and reason with these Carnatic singers who knowingly or unknowingly steal culture and pirate the glorious heirlooms of Thyagaraja and other vaggeyakaaras, which are deeply part of the hindu culture and tradition This would be the demand of the lakhs of Rasikas.

Thank you in advance.
By an Aggrieved Rasika of Saint Thyagaraja and pure, divine & unadulterated Carnatic Music

[h=1]‘Carnatic music belongs to Hindus, will oppose remix of Carnatic music’: Rashtriya Sanatan Seva Sangh[/h]
A right-wing fringe outfit Rashtriya Sanatan Seva Sangh said any remix of Carnatic music is unacceptable. Ramanathan Seetharaman, the founder of the group, said that the Carnatic music belongs to the Hindus.

New Delhi: After threatening prominent Carnatic musicians for singing Christian hymns a right-wing fringe outfit Rashtriya Sanatan Seva Sangh made another bizarre statement by saying that Carnatic music belongs to Hindus. Talking to ANI, Ramanathan Seetharaman who is the founder of the organisation said, “Recently we found musician OS Arun singing Christian hymns based on Carnatic music, we condemn it. Nithyasree Mahadevan did the same but she apologised. So, we oppose such remix of Carnatic music.”

Earlier, the group had targeted Magsaysay Award winner TM Krishna and vocalists OS Arun and Nithyashree Mahadevan, whom the outfit has accused of promoting conversion. In a mark of protest against this issue, musician TM Krishna announced on Twitter that he will be releasing one Carnatic song every month on Jesus or Allah. Krishna is known for his stand on social and cultural issues. His writings have appeared in many leading print and online publications.

Read more at: https://www.timesnownews.com/india/...uvin-yangama-sangeetham-carnatic-music/267768

P.S: One after the other are coming with explanations. Let us wait and watch.

Please read this article (if time permits) by Sangita Kalanidhi Chitraveena Ravikiran
https://inmathi.com/2018/08/11/10685/

Sir,

Thanks for sharing this article.

Have anyone ever seen a Rosary of Rudraksha beads...???

The crux is about the Hidden agenda.

Please read this article
https://www.outlookindia.com/magazine/story/a-rosary-of-rudraksha-beads/299489

What is important is the comfort level of being a Tamil Christian following the cultures of other faiths.

Dear Prof. MSK Sir,

Thanks for posting the article.

I totally agree with what Maestro Sri. Ravikiran says. :)

The artists are professionals and they are NOT bound to sing ONLY on Hndu Deities. :nono:

They don't sing to convert people! Their talents used by persons from other faiths.

That is it!

What could be the ulterior motive behind using their talents by persons of other faith....?

Is it purely for love on Carnatic Music....?

If so, why it was not practiced all these years...?

Are these Carnatic Musicians actually selling their image or selling their skill ..?

There are persons exist with Carnatic Music skill in other faiths also and regularly sign hyms with Carnatic touch.

Why this sudden love ..?

Some even see a hidden agenda behind such initiative.

It is obvious that it may be an another strategy for .......

While Nithyashree Mahadevan apologized for hurting the sentiments of a section and even went to the extent of
reiterating that she was steeped in rich Hindu tradition, values and culture, was against religious conversion of any kind, and would never ever engage in any act that would endorse or encourage religious conversion.

That is it.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :hail:

They imitate one of the best form of arts - Carnatic music, which needs years of practice! :ballchain:

In our dear forum: To imitate someone is to pay the person a genuine compliment — often an unintended compliment. :D

அரண்டவன் கண்ணுக்கு இருண்டதெல்லாம் பேய்!! :scared:

தூங்கறவங்களை எழுப்பலாம் ஆனால் தூங்கறமாதிரி நடிப்பவர்களை....???

There are people of other faith imitating Carnatic Music...

In our dear Forum: We have few who are snoring not to mention about 'ஆரோகணம்' and ' அவரோகணம்'.lol

Dear Prof. MSK Sir,

Thanks for posting the article.

I totally agree with what Maestro Sri. Ravikiran says. :)

The artists are professionals and they are NOT bound to sing ONLY on Hndu Deities. :nono:

They don't sing to convert people! Their talents used by persons from other faiths.

That is it!

True! Agreed!
Music is Sapta Swara and it doesnt have a religion though it has a cultural touch.

Hindustani music has enough Middle Eastern influence yet everyone accepts it too.

Halwa was originally from Turkey..even Jalebi and Gulab Jamoon were not from India yet it is Indian identity now.

Salwar Kameez the name itself is not Indian yet its practically a uniform for Indians all over the world.

Did anyone convert to other religions becos wr ate Halwa or Jalebi or wore the salwar kameez?

Also going back to Carnatic music..is the Violin an Indian instrument?
Nope! Yet it has become part of Carnatic music now..so why isnt.anyone divorcing the violin from Carnatic music?

Did the incoporation of the Violin into Carnatic music make everyone convert to westernism?

Its high time we be logical.

Only those who have no faith in.themselves fear any influence.

The Forum has no dearth for members to give saintly advice and drop pearls of wisdom. Lol

Dear Renu,

Following Violin, Keyboard, Mandolin, Saxophone and Guitar have entered Carnatic music.

Some people act like 'maNvetti' which takes the soil only in one direction!

Allow people from other faiths to sing on our deities and shun the Carnatic singers who sing for other faiths.

BTW, verbal shouting is NOT enough to prove a person correct!! :D

Latest ads

Back