• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Should makeup be banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/QUOTE]
If women want to win the power back they must demand that men move into their homes after marriage, not vice versa!
So you are trying to get a social practice for man to demand share of the family gold. But you can buy yourself nowadays. You do not have to demand reversal of tradition to enjoy reverse equality!

What! Drag your hubby to the Gold Shop and BUY HIM some Gold Jewelry! :)
A TB man sporting a ear stud and tuft is just following the tradition. Buying is for the tradition and dragging should not be misconstrued for a drag. A traditional TB will be as hot as Hot TB Ganesh Venkatraman. Man having his own jewellery collection is still a very popular tradition among many communities in Tirunelveli district

Where is Ravi ??? Why isnt he in this thread yet???

Dear Renuka,

Today I got into this thread and went through each of the posts...Almost all the posts I liked.

AFA I am concerned, make up is the wholesome charm enhancer of a human being. Men or Women. "Look Good" & have a "Pleasent Personality".

It's only that, some girls, perharps due to their ignorance or due to their own ideas, makes-up in such a way that, it looks too scary to me..:lol:

Generally, a girl with right and simplistic way of make-up, attracks me a lot. A right blend of make up that doesn't conceals her natural beauty altogether, gives me a pleasant and soothing feel of appreication of her beauty. :)

Dear Renuka,

Today I got into this thread and went through each of the posts...Almost all the posts I liked.

AFA I am concerned, make up is the wholesome charm enhancer of a human being. Men or Women. "Look Good" & have a "Pleasent Personality".

It's only that, some girls, perharps due to their ignorance or due to their own ideas, makes-up in such a way that, it looks too scary to me..:lol:

Generally, a girl with right and simplistic way of make-up, attracks me a lot. A right blend of make up that doesn't conceals her natural beauty altogether, gives me a pleasant and soothing feel of appreication of her beauty. :)

Well said..make up enhances ones natural beauty and also brings out some hidden beauty.
For example a girl might not be very beautiful but happen to have large expressive eyes can simply bring out her beautiful eyes with a light application of Kajal.

I agree most people get make up tips wrong.I have seen especially Middle Eastern woman tend to over do the make up part and also over apply oil based perfumes.

In India I find most woman are really beautiful in a simple way and over all we Indians do not need that much make up too look good cos God has blessed us with good features that just need only a little enhancing.

But I personally always advise both young man and woman to groom themselves well as good grooming boost self confidence.

P.S to add..grooming can do wonders..we all remember actor Surya when he newly joined films and compare him now.Same person but he just brought out his plus points.

Last edited:
Theres absolutely no harm in a bit of makeup every so often. Like SravnaJi said make up only complements a womans natural beauty (if done well). It cannot alter features, not too much anyway.

Dr Barani,

You said women in India genereally don't wear lipstick. Ok but I've noticed they tend to wear lots of kajal, kohl and eyeliner from kids to women to even men! I guess they don't consider it as makeup, but they say its healthy for the eyes.

Now its our turn to say; Note All men!!!

We woman dont like to see greasy faces with stubble on faces.There is nothing like a well groomed,clean shaven face that is free from traces of grease with a light hint of after shave.
Most men take personal grooming too lightly and soak their hair with greasy hair creams.

BTW: Dear Dr Barani I have to give you a complement.You look well groomed in your pic.

Rekka,

I agree with you about the greasy face and stubble. Having said that, some men do look very sexy with a 5 o' clock shadow....

Well said..make up enhances ones natural beauty and also brings out some hidden beauty.
For example a girl might not be very beautiful but happen to have large expressive eyes can simply bring out her beautiful eyes with a light application of Kajal.

I agree most people get make up tips wrong.I have seen especially Middle Eastern woman tend to over do the make up part and also over apply oil based perfumes.

In India I find most woman are really beautiful in a simple way and over all we Indians do not need that much make up too look good cos God has blessed us with good features that just need only a little enhancing.

But I personally always advise both young man and woman to groom themselves well as good grooming boost self confidence.

Dear Renuka,

There is a good side topic for the thread. Does make-up add to the element of beauty a woman already has or add the element of beauty she lacks? If you think a little more you see that different women have different kind of appeal or different elements of beauty. So one could rephrase the question as shouldn't women use make-up as something that makes up the deficiency. Actually Shri.Saidevo made that point in his post.

In my part of the world and where I was from even men especially "metrosexual" men are getting into makeup. Pedicures, facials, manicures, facial grooming etc. The modern day man is catching up ladies! Lets not imagine in 2011 that makeup is the monopoly of us women anymore :D.

As an aside my sister won best letter for Father's Day a couple of months back and the prize was a very expensive one day spa/facial for my dad!!. He has never been to anything like this before :)

Dear Renuka,

There is a good side topic for the thread. Does make-up add to the element of beauty a woman already has or add the element of beauty she lacks? If you think a little more you see that different women have different kind of appeal or different elements of beauty. So one could rephrase the question as shouldn't women use make-up as something that makes up the deficiency. Actually Shri.Saidevo made that point in his post.

Ok Sravna,

The answer can go two ways.I live in a multiracial country and I have seen various races using make up.Generally I have seen that some oriental woman who have naturally fair skin even though their features might not be the big eyes, high nose types and be even average in looks but just with some make up they can look real beautiful.

And also I have seen some Indian girls who have fairly good features but make up didnt add anything to them.

Its not the skin color also becos I have seen dark African girls here who apply make up and look real good cos they usually have even clear healthy dark skin.

Indians sometimes our skin color tends to be uneven esp on our faces and we will notice the skin below the eyes or around the chin darker a little compared to other parts of face.

Using make up doesnt not really mean we "lack" something but just making ourselves look extra good.
Cosmetic surgery is what changings ones looks is all about.

Ok Sravna,

The answer can go two ways.I live in a multiracial country and I have seen various races using make up.Generally I have seen that some oriental woman who have naturally fair skin even though their features might not be the big eyes, high nose types and be even average in looks but just with some make up they can look real beautiful.

And also I have seen some Indian girls who have fairly good features but make up didnt add anything to them.

Its not the skin color also becos I have seen dark African girls here who apply make up and look real good cos they usually have even clear healthy dark skin.

Indians sometimes our skin color tends to be uneven esp on our faces and we will notice the skin below the eyes or around the chin darker a little compared to other parts of face.

Using make up doesnt not really mean we "lack" something but just making ourselves look extra good.
Cosmetic surgery is what changings ones looks is all about.

Ok, I agree make-up makes you extra good and Ok I will rephrase my point and say that make-up adds an additional element to natural beauty as Amala more aptly said . Also it should try not to add to that element which is also naturally the most appealing for a woman. That's when I think it becomes overdone. Its function should be complementing the natural beauty

Dr Barani,

You said women in India genereally don't wear lipstick. Ok but I've noticed they tend to wear lots of kajal, kohl and eyeliner from kids to women to even men! I guess they don't consider it as makeup, but they say its healthy for the eyes.

Dear Amala,

When Dr.Barani said, women in India generally don't wear lipstick, it relays views in a different dimension. I guess so. Dr.Barani has to confirm this.

Usage of Kajal and eyeliner as beautification of face and facial expressions are different than applying lipstick to the "LIPS"..

Isn't it? People say "LIPS" with lipsticks are more arousing. Am I right? Are they right?

Yes Ravi and I was giving another dimension. They may not wear lipstick but their eyes are coated with thick kajal. Its relative. I guess thats not make up then...

... but most women aren't that fortunate in India. Take my own home for example - my mother is even more intelligent than I am (well, I consider myself intelligent among my extended family circle), but she never got the opportunity to go to college or build a career. She was married at her tender age of 18. My father is an innocent TB who trusts everything in outer world. If only my mother had gone to work and my father had stayed in Kitchen, their life might have been far better!

drB,

i could not but enjoy a couple of chuckles at the highlighted comments. nothing like modesty, however modestly it may be expressed :)

what touched me, was your observation of your parents lives and summed it up in one sentence. amazingly frank and heartfelt. poignant too.

i know a lady, late 1950s, who came ontop in the state for SSLC, and was a veena prodigy. her father, himself a doctor of repute, but a tyrant at home, saw no point in educating her further, and against her will, married of his chennai brought up daughter to some agriculturist family in thirunelveli boondocks.

add to this, the new husband's family had donkey's ears, when it came to appreciating carnatic music and her veena, was soon put in the பரண். the lady never forgave her father and never visited him again, even when he was in his death bed.

i guess, every family has stories of smart women, of the past, never given the opportunity to fuflil themselves, had they so desired. it was never an option.

my own dad, felt is was beneath his dignity to let my mom go out to work. she loved teaching and there were enough schools in the neighbourhood where she could have taught. that was a regret for her her entire life.

Dear Amala,

When Dr.Barani said, women in India generally don't wear lipstick, it relays views in a different dimension. I guess so. Dr.Barani has to confirm this.

Usage of Kajal and eyeliner as beautification of face and facial expressions are different than applying lipstick to the "LIPS"..

Isn't it? People say "LIPS" with lipsticks are more arousing. Am I right? Are they right?

Hey Ravi,

what LIPS yaar..Eyes can be more enchanting.When we talk to a person we tend to look at the EYES more.
Even when God is described its Kamala Netra,Visalakshi,Meenakshi,Sarasija Nayana etc..Never heard Lips being described as often but remember reading in some Devi Text where Devi's lips are described as being as red as a pomegranate fruit cut open but when I see you describing LIPS in your post it sounds as potent as a Hand Grenade ...Real Explosive!!!

Last edited:
I work in North India and I have seen woman even villagers wear lipstick almost 90% woman in North wear lipstick.

For guys you have to take care because lipstick stains on collar are tell tale signs before you get home to wife.
Is that why I see most man not in favor of lipstick? :)

I work in North India and I have seen woman even villagers wear lipstick almost 90% woman in North wear lipstick.

For guys you have to take care because lipstick stains on collar are tell tale signs before you get home to wife.
Is that why I see most man not in favor of lipstick? :)

This is an interesting topic thread, from many fronts, even though our friend Biswa, is missing from contributing his mite.

It is a real story here in toronto. Happened a few years ago.

The public here might know, that Canada has a large number of Punjabi immigrants, most of them villagers or farmers, and involved in factory labour, farm labour and auto shops and such like. They have managed to come here, and in the best of this country’s tradition, work very hard, build a nest egg, start a factory or own a farm, and prospered beyond dreams.

However, the initial stage of adjustment is painful to some, especially with the role reversals experienced in the household. Ie money going to work, bringing home money, and that too good money at that (our minimum wage is $10.25 per hour, which works to about 450 rupees every hour.

The owners of the factories love the Punjabi or Chinese immigrant workers, because they are hard working, do not complain and usually find kinship with their own, and in a way, learn to ‘enjoy’ this freedom for about 8 hours a day, from the overbearing husband and the nagging in-laws.

One day, my friend, a psychiatrist specializing in criminal cases, requested me to see a video confession of a guy, just to get a cultural angle.

This young man, in his 30s, with 2 children, had chopped up his wife, and put the pieces in garbage bags. Then he called his neighbours son, next door apartment, to help him carry these to the car, and then drove off. the neighbour’s son alerted the police, who caught him dumping the bags in lake Ontario, soon afterwards.

The man had no remorse at what he had done. he said the wife had no more shame. She had started wearing lipstick. And that to him, from his village, was the height of disobedience. He proudly claimed that she got what she deserved.

Too bad, Canada does not have the death penalty.

So, before anyone gets a little callous about lipstick, it may be good to be aware, of the darker shades surrounding the paint in the lipgloss.

my own feedback to my friend, was, that this guy was pretending to be razy and trying to get off imprisonment, in exchange for a psychiatric hospital, which are like hotels here, and from where you can be discharged in a few years.

my friend thought the same, and based on his recommendation, this guy was sentenced the maximum - life imprisonment - meaning no parole for 15 years... canadian sentences are lenient by any standards. there is no such thing as RI (rigorous imprisonment).

Last edited:
Oh dear they sound like the same lot we have here in Britain! Must be from the same "pind" :).

As for psychiatric hospitals like hotels, its exactly the same here plus HM Prison is better than a hotel I've heard. Prisoners even get to play with PSPs and what not! These lot wouldn't servive a day in a US prison methinks!

amala,

the liberal reforms in the european jurisprudence and the generous social net came as lessons learned form that most brutal war in history ie second world war.

the incidental beneficiaries of this state largesse has been 3rd world immigrants particularly those without the skillset of language or familiarity of culture, who have been able to take advantgae of the western liberal society to the hilt, and who have been able to get away with it, due to residual post colonial guilt that existed till recently.

as witnessed in norway recently, those good wills are long gone, even in the most liberal part of europe ie scandinavia. either the immigrants assimilate atleast culturally i have a gut feeling that the old european christian intolerance of others will rise up again, and not sure, in this interconnected world, how it will end.

hi renu and other gentle women....
i have a dought..recently i met a american lady who is going to marry a indian guy in USA....his parents insisted have the bride should

have sindoor/mangala sutra(THAALI)/ metti etc. for wedding....the white girl asked why should i wear all these on wedding....they

explained about indian tadition /culture etc....then she agreed...but with 1 condition...what are requrirements for bridegroom?

to show as married man?....married girl should have kumkum/sindoor/ thaali etc.....but nothing for men?....she asked me the same

question...i said ring is ok...but she is not satisfied....something like thaali/mangalasutra required for married man.....i have no

answer...i said I DONT KNOW....it means male domination?...or poligamy for men?.........its really heart breaking question....

no answers from my side.....

regards
tbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back