• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sarpa Pujai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy one book VRADHA POOJA VIDHANAM published by lifco company. You are having nagaraja astothram and pooja in detail in the skandha sasti pooja chapter.

To: Bhavana, Pl sent a email to this member and he will help you. [email protected]. My personal advice is we the human being are top of the creation and why should we worship the lowyer creatures like snake,Tulsi,Cow etc. We may again Born in those segments better not worship this kind of things. s.r.k.

Iam having three small sarpa idols and a pradhima for which i do milk abhisekam by chanting the naga gayathri and 9 names. Is there any other specific puja method or namavali other than rahu kavacham?Is there any other sarpa stotra?

bhavana
How did the pooja start? Was it in your family? Or, did you start it when some astrologer, friend, guru, etc., adviced you to start doing such worship? Are you able to do the abhishekam on all days? If idols are given "abhishekam" at home, it is normally required that subsequent abhishekam is done with (Fresh) water, then the idol is dried, some "alankaaram" is done (in this case "manjal podi" pottu will do) and dhoopam, deepam, naivedyam and lastly deepaaraadhanai are also performed.

FYI, I come from a family from central Travancore where each house (called "Matham") had a "sarpakkaavu" (a small thicket resembling a forest where trees, climbers, etc., were allowed to grow unhindered and only the outer limit was cleaned regularly so that the whole area did not become a small forest! In most of these houses we had idol/idols of Nagaraja (snake-shaped silver idols with the hood just like the stone idols in temples). We used to do daily pooja of these along with the Devapooja of "Adityam, ambikaam, vishnum, gananaatham maheswaram" which was supposed to be a compulsory thing for brahmins. But since we could not follow the purity standards prescribed for such pooja, we have now kept it in the common pooja in Sringeri Matham and we send money regularly.

Simply doing milk abhishekam and chanting the gayatri does not seem to be the prescribed method for Nagapooja. If you are located in India you may visit the Nagaraja temple of Mannarassala near Haripad, Alleppey district, Kerala state, and take the advice of the chief priestess (the eldest daughter-in-law becomes the chief priestess of the temple, according to tradition) of that temple.

Last edited:
Member sangom rightly pointed out. Ms.Bhavana,If this pooja is treaditionally followed means only you can continue otherwise contact Mannarsala temple as advised by member sangom. You can perform naga pooja in Srikalahasthi also if you have any nagadosham in your horoscope- for which you have to contact perfect josier with your horoscope.
However I am searching for a DESCRIPTIVE SAHASRANAMAVALI FOR NAGANATHA SWAMY. Any of our member can guide me to have this either in Sanskrit or Tamil.
Thanks to srk for referring my name.

sarpa pooja

Thank you for the guidelines sangom sir/Madam.

I came across a webpage on kal sarpa dosha where it was mentioned that people having rahu/ketu in certain positions in their natal horoscope can perform pooja to joda nagin for santhana baghyam,peaceful and prosperous life etc. So I bought the idols from a shop and started the pooja.I have started reciting the sarpa suktam also.

After doing this i feel there some peace which we are all able to feel at home.
bhavana ananth

Thank you for the guidelines sangom sir/Madam.

I came across a webpage on kal sarpa dosha where it was mentioned that people having rahu/ketu in certain positions in their natal horoscope can perform pooja to joda nagin for santhana baghyam,peaceful and prosperous life etc. So I bought the idols from a shop and started the pooja.I have started reciting the sarpa suktam also.

After doing this i feel there some peace which we are all able to feel at home.
bhavana ananth
Kaalasarpa dosha has nothing directly to do with Sarpa Dosha or anything to propitiate nagadevata, as such. When all the 7 other planets come within Rahu and Ketu in the clock-wise direction (some astrologers opine anti-clock-wise, this itself shows how reliable or serious it is) then astrology calls it kaalasarpa yogam/dosham. If one tries to find out the probability of people with this dosha, it will be seen that during some particular periods - when Jupiter and saturn come within the Rahu-Ketu axis, this dosha will be present in lakhs of births. It does not mean that all these people have sarpa dosha. Even Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru had this dosha in his horoscope! Did he not become a world statesman and the longest serving PM of India?

Classical astrological texts of Parasara and others do not even recognize this yoga.

Astrology only says that if this dosha is present in a horoscope a certain amount of dullness will set in in the good effects of other favourable yogas present in the horoscope and so an astrologer should judge and evaluate the h/s accordingly.

As an old man with some knowledge of astrology and related matters my only suggestion (advice) to you is not to start such self-prescriptions based on what you may find in the web or some book etc. It is as undesirable as going to the medical store and buying medicines based on your own diagnosis and knowledge (or lack of it) of medicines. Of course human mind is like a robot; it will act according to what one thinks. I have a relative - now 50 years old - spending most of his time in the bath room washing his hands and feet all the time, because of what psychologists call Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; another woman, about 75 years, almost always goes on cleaning the dining table, kitchen platform, etc., even when we visit their house. In the same way human mind will feel that "there is peace at home" etc., after starting a particular pooja or recital but if you analyze it dispassionately you will find that it is only in the mind.

Smoking, drugs, etc. also make people believe that by using those things they "really" feel good, but are they beneficial? Sarpa Pooja according to our traditional and orthodox beliefs is a little tricky matter and should not be done by all according to their likes. Anyway, as I have already clarified "kaalasarpa yoga/dosha" (pl. note both the words yoga and dosha are used to describe this planetary grouping) has nothing to do with sarpa or snake; in fact in our early astrology even Rahu and Ketu were not present!!

I hope this would have given you some idea of how much to rely on astrology and when to say, "thus far and no further".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back