• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Retirement Communities

Status
Not open for further replies.
renukaji
i am thinking of visiting a retirement home out of curiosity. I will find out about your preferences of cascading waterfall and cute monkeys. the you tube posted by the member of the forum here showed a mountain trail with only people walking on ropes tied between high trees

Thanks..but still somehow this concept of retirement home seems scary..dont know why.

The idea of being segregated based solely on age does not seem too desirable...anyway I will cross the bridge when it comes..but anyway let me know if you find cute monkeys!

Tamil TV shows are in the forefront. Even three year old kids are given enormous respect - neenga, vaanga, ponga - it is ludicrous and definitely odd!

i think it seems odd to us, because we are so used to 'nee'. here in toronto, the sri lankan tamil tv/radio stations too address children respectfully neengal.

come to think of it, we do it in english too with 'you'; the english equivalent of nee is thou, which is now out of practice.

all over europe, french or german, it is vous and ihr, unless with close friends, a tu or du is used. courtesy is always good.

I am glad this artificial construct is limited to TV anchors only. It is so hypocritical and simulated. I am sure nobody I know call kids, children this way.
i think it seems odd to us, because we are so used to 'nee'. here in toronto, the sri lankan tamil tv/radio stations too address children respectfully neengal.

come to think of it, we do it in english too with 'you'; the english equivalent of nee is thou, which is now out of practice.

all over europe, french or german, it is vous and ihr, unless with close friends, a tu or du is used. courtesy is always good.

I am glad this artificial construct is limited to TV anchors only. It is so hypocritical and simulated. I am sure nobody I know call kids, children this way.
Dear Sarang Sir,

Have you not visited Gounder families in Coimbatore district? My dad was the family doctor to many of them in our village

and the kids got respect, like 'vAnga thambi', 'ukkArunga kaNNu' etc - even from the grandparents! :cool:

Thanks..but still somehow this concept of retirement home seems scary..dont know why.

The idea of being segregated based solely on age does not seem too desirable...anyway I will cross the bridge when it comes..but anyway let me know if you find cute monkeys!
renukaji
for monkeys alone I need not go far. I get visits from them right outside my flat in delhi. We have a big monkey menace. they come in groups and are a terror.they occupy my front courtyard and many times I have their company suddenly when I open the front door. Backside of my flat opens into a well known park with a lake named after sanjay gandhi ,which is one of the large green areas of east delhi. it is a refuge for monkeys ,peacocks,beautiful birds,swan etc. it is an oasis in a city with mad traffic and mindless violence. it ia a beautiful place for morning walks.who would like to desert this and go elsewhere for elusive happiness

In hindi ,we have tu ,tum and aap .in up they use hum ie we instead of mai and refer to themselves respectfully as Hum

Dear Sarang Sir,

Have you not visited Gounder families in Coimbatore district? My dad was the family doctor to many of them in our village

and the kids got respect, like 'vAnga thambi', 'ukkArunga kaNNu' etc - even from the grandparents! :cool:

hi

coimbatore gounder tamil is highly respected words in tamil...even for the kids.....kids are very respected in many families

of coimbatore tambrams....kovai tamil is good...

Dear TBS Sir,

So far I have not seen any tambram family addressing kids with respect! Even parents and grandparents are addressed 'nee'
and it is believed only that shows intimacy and fondness! :grouphug:

P.S: Modern girls go one step further - address
their dear hubby as 'dEy!' and use the suffix 'dA' while requesting something! :shocked:

In hindi ,we have tu ,tum and aap .in up they use hum ie we instead of mai and refer to themselves respectfully as Hum
In Tamil also the 'royal I' exists! In Tamil movies the king usually says, 'yaam sendru varugirOm' etc.

Dear TBS Sir,

So far I have not seen any tambram family addressing kids with respect! Even parents and grandparents are addressed 'nee'

their dear hubby as 'dEy!' and use the suffix 'dA' while requesting something! :shocked:
language has deteriorated to nee from neenga for elders ,respect has been replaced with this kind of affection[?]. Husbands are called by their first names besides foul 'de,da'. How much of affection is there in this I am not able to gauge. as long as they are not assaulted it is OK.

Dear TBS Sir,

hi RR madam,

have u visited any thirunelveli tambram home...very respected tamil towards kids....ONLY SING CHENNAI TAMBRAM WORDS ARE BAD...

hi RR madam,

have u visited any thirunelveli tambram home...very respected tamil towards kids....ONLY SING CHENNAI TAMBRAM WORDS ARE BAD...
how many kilometres around chennai ,disrespectful words are used for close relatives by TBs.TBS ji chennai tambrams will be up in arms with your generalisation

hi RR madam,

But you were mentioning about Coimbatore tambrams in your earlier post, T B S Sir!

Hence my reply! :)

Mostly the bad words come as a family trait!

I have seen a few tambrams calling their children as 'kadangArA', 'theevetti dhadiyA', 'shaniyanE' and so on!

Hence, it was an unsaid rule in our family that NO bad words should be used against anyone. :nono:

I find many young girls and boys of reputed schools calling each other 'yEy, pisAsE / panni / idiot' and so on!! :blah:

P.S: One of our friends used to scold the guys who overtake his car from the wrong side as 'kattEla pO-----nE!' :shocked:

I had a tough time to change his habit!

It is not the word but the way of saying and intonation defines the intent. vada, poda can mean intimacy, affection, anger or insult depending on how it is said. English is a poor language in this respect. 'da' can be applied to even gods - 'kanna vaada, kannin maniye', and hundreds of such similar use in all indian languages. It is ludicrous to say that we have to follow english or canadian ways.

Recently we had an alumni meet of college students; we all enjoyed calling each other with their nicknames, vada poda thrown profusely. Even in working life, 'tom' and 'nee' is a common usage among colleagues and subordinates and some bosses (selective).

Political correctness is an unnecessary import from the west to tell them that we ape you. Our native expressions and language are rich and vibrant.

I do not think in tambram and non tambram families, kids and close relatives are given such exalted treatment - vanga, ponga.

As a community if they do it, it is fine. But in college all gounder, nadar, chettiar, tambram students echoed the same - vada poda. Even pattai or namam did not make any difference to anyone.

Dear Sarang Sir,

Better not to talk about the dialect of college students!

I have written in my earlier post (#164) how school students address each other!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back