• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Remorse and Modesty -- from Ten Niyama's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hri, the first of the ten niyamas, or practices, is remorse: being modest and showing shame for misdeeds, seeking the guru's grace to be released from sorrows through the understanding that he gives, based on the ancient sampradaya, doctrinal lineage, he preaches. Remorse could be the most misunderstood and difficult to practice of all of the niyamas, because we don't have very many role models today for modesty or remorse. In fact, the role for imitation in today's world is just the opposite. This is reflected in television, on film, in novels, magazines, newspapers and all other kinds of media. In today's world, brash, presumptuous, prideful--that's how one must be. That's the role model we see everywhere. In today's world, arrogant--that's how one must be. That's the role model we see everywhere. Therefore, to be remorseful or even to show modesty would be a sign of weakness to one's peers, family and friends.

Modesty is portrayed in the media as a trait of people that are gauche, inhibited, undeveloped emotionally or not well educated. And remorse is portrayed in the world media as a characteristic of one who "doesn't have his act together," is unable to rationalize away wrongdoings, or who is not clever enough to find a scapegoat to pin the blame on. Though modesty and remorse are the natural qualities of the soul, when the soul does exhibit these qualities, there is a natural tendency to suppress them.

But let's look on the brighter side. There is an old saying, "Some people teach us what to do, and other people teach us what not to do." The modern media, at least most of it, is teaching us what not to do. Its behavior is based on other kinds of philosophy--secular humanism, materialism, existentialism, crime and punishment, terrorism--in its effort to report and record the stories of the day. Sometimes we can learn quite a lot by seeing the opposite of what we want to learn. The proud and arrogant people portrayed on TV nearly always have their fall. This is always portrayed extremely well and is very entertaining. In their heart of hearts, people really do not admire the prideful person or his display of arrogance, so they take joy in seeing him get his just due. People, in their heart of hearts, do admire the modest person, the truthful person, the patient person, the steadfast person, the compassionate person who shows contentment and the fullness of well-being on his face and in his behavioral patterns.

We Hindus who understand these things know that hri, remorse, is to be practiced at every opportunity. One of the most acceptable ways to practice hri, even in today's society, is to say in a heartfelt way, "I'm sorry." Everyone will accept this. Even the most despicable, prideful, arrogant, self-centered person will melt just a little under the two magic words "I'm sorry."

When apologizing, explain to the person you hurt or wronged how you have realized that there was a better way and ask for his forgiveness. If the person is too proud or arrogant to forgive, you have done your part and can go your way. The burden of the quandary you have put him into now lies solely with him. He will think about it, justify how and why and what he should not forgive until the offense melts from his mind and his heart softens. It takes as much time for a hardened heart to soften as it does for a piece of ice to melt in a refrigerator. Even when it does, his pride may never let him give you the satisfaction of knowing he has forgiven you. But you can tell. Watch for softening in the eyes when you meet, a less rigid mouth and the tendency to suppress a wholesome smile.

Hri, the first of the ten niyamas, or practices, is remorse: .....

Watch for softening in the eyes when you meet, a less rigid mouth and the tendency to suppress a wholesome smile.

Shri Rajuvish,

This has all the signs of a C&P job from some buddhist/Tantric source; why not cite the original source also for the public's benefit?

more like budhist than tantric -- i shall try to find out: this is from 'e-mail frwd' from a friend. glad this attempt to share has elicited some response! -- regards, rj.
(in case i am not able to trace the origin in about two or three days time, and/or i am not able to get back here, please do forgive me -- off&on i have problem logging into this site!)

more like budhist than tantric -- i shall try to find out: this is from 'e-mail frwd' from a friend. glad this attempt to share has elicited some response! -- regards, rj.
(in case i am not able to trace the origin in about two or three days time, and/or i am not able to get back here, please do forgive me -- off&on i have problem logging into this site!)
If it was from an e-mail, that must have been stated, otherwise it gives an impression that it is original. Plagiarism is serious business, many people seem to take it lightly.

very much regret the error/lapse on my part -- i shall try to delete the item, which i understand is from literature on hinduism, and is being shared extensively: but now i see it's seen as plagiarism, i need to be more careful in future: thank you for the guidance. regards, rj.

very much regret the lapse, and thank you for pointing it out, thank you for the guidance in this regard -- it is from literature on hinduism being extensively shared in some forums and taken up for discussions in suitable contexts. yes, it could be taken as 'plagiarism' the way it has been posted by me here, it is a lapse. regards, rj.

very much regret the lapse, and thank you for pointing it out, thank you for the guidance in this regard -- it is from literature on hinduism being extensively shared in some forums and taken up for discussions in suitable contexts. yes, it could be taken as 'plagiarism' the way it has been posted by me here, it is a lapse. regards, rj.

Dear Rajuvish,

You need not delete your post since the background (e-mail fwd) has now been told. Shri Nara is only trying to state the forum rules IMO.

That apart, the correct sanskrit word ought to have been given as hree (long e) and not as Hri. I googled and found two probable "gangotris" for this circulating msg:

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/taka/past/2003/July/July_16_2003/transcript.html

Niyama 1 - Hri, Remorse - Hindu Dharma Forums

I do not think it is buddhist (sorry for my wrong guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back