• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Problem of Identity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andra Pradesh is one of the first states in India which was formed only on the linguistic basis. In 1953, 11 districts of Madras State was consolidated to form a new Andhra State with Kurnool as capital. In 1956 the State Reorganization Commission recommended to enlarge the State of Andhra by adding 9 districts which were under Nizam's rulership and the city of Hyderabad became the capital.

Constitution of India treats all of Sikh, Jainism and Buddhism as Hindus. Why confusion?

Last edited:
Ramakrishna Mission is encouraging their own cult. I went to Madurai. They organise separate prayers for Ramakrishna Paramhans. They make us idol worship him.
I asked them if they were related to Vivekananda Ashram in Kolkata, they told they are separate being, nothing related to the kolkata guys.

Pls go to Madurai(I think the stop is near Iyer Bunglow) and see for yourself.

The Ramakrishna Mission (Mutt) buildings at Iyer bungalow indeed belongs to the Mission/Mutt.
Either you have misheard them or that they are deliberately misleading you.

Also you have to bear that many disgruntled sanyassis of the original Ramakrishna Mutt and have started their own outfits -- all starting with the name Ramakrishna. Swami Chidbhavananda (paternal uncle of C. Subramaniam), I think was the first to break away and he started what is called Ramakrishna Tapovanom. I have been hearing that some have left that Tapovanam to start their own...

It is galling that they have come up with term "Ramakrishnaism". It has perhaps got to do escape persecution by the Left front govt. in W. Bengal.

Rgds.,
Swami

Last edited:
Mr. R. Ramanujan,

Is eating meat wrong or right?
Misconception about meat.

Is this your question?

Water is the main source of life whether it is tree, plant, animal and human being. They all are born from the same source i.e. water. They all have the life. They all grow and die eventually. It is impossible to differentiate between them. People should not get confused in it

Let me answer it for you in simple way.

Baba Nanak was born in Hindu Bedi family who has sound knowledge of Vedas for generations. As Eating meat is banned in Hindu Family.

One day,

Baba Nanak was passing through Kurukshetra (Centre Place of Brahmans of that time in north India)

BRAHMANS WERE TELLING PEOPLE NOT TO EAT MEAT WHICH LEADS TO HELL.

In order to clear the doubts of people on eating meat,

Baba Nanak prepared meat and severed it to his disciples in Kurukshetra.

As a result, all the brahmans of Kurukshetra came to Baba Nanak in protest.

How can Guru Nanak break the Hindu tradition in spite of being Hindu Sant.

Guru Nanak said that these people have their priorities mixed up, they fight about the virtues of not eating meat, yet they do not instead spend their time contemplating God. He says that everything is a living thing, whether one is killing an animal or a plant, he says that can the vegetarian please tell him where the sin lies? If he is killing living things whether they are plants or animals. Then Guru Nanak follows this right away talking about how animal sacrifice (rhino) was such an integral part of Hindu worship, one is willing to sacrifice animals for religion, yet say do not eat flesh for religion, another contradiction exposed by the Guru. Guru Nanak then talks about the duality of these people who commit countless sins and then make a public show of their "great piety" by saying that they don't eat meat because it is a sin, another contradiction. Guru Nanak then talks about how the Brahmin vegetarian is a creation of flesh, yet he holds the flesh from outside as being sinful to eat, Guru Nanak is saying that aren't you Brahmin vegetarian a creation of flesh as well as your family also something to be abhorred if you are following your own criteria that flesh is sinful? Guru Nanak talks about these false preceptors who are wrongfully telling people to consume what should not be, and telling people to not eat what should be eaten. Guru Nanak then establishes the fact that eating meat was a historical fact of both the Muslim and Hindu faiths and it has been a part of daily life for many ages, yet why is the Brahmin vegetarian denying his own history? Then Guru Nanak talks about the absurdity that the kings who eat meat should all go to hell, yet the Brahmin vegetarian who lives off their donations and charity shall go to heaven. Finally Guru Nanak concludes by saying that all vegetables and meat are the same because their basic ingredient is water and that the Brahmin vegetarian if he really wants to practice his religious renunciation instead of not eating meat he should give up water altogether.

Regards,
Sardar Narender Singh Rawalpindi
Delhi-India

Mr. R. Ramanujan,

Is eating meat wrong or right?
Misconception about meat.

Is this your question?

Water is the main source of life whether it is tree, plant, animal and human being. They all are born from the same source i.e. water. They all have the life. They all grow and die eventually. It is impossible to differentiate between them. People should not get confused in it

Let me answer it for you in simple way.

Baba Nanak was born in Hindu Bedi family who has sound knowledge of Vedas for generations. As Eating meat is banned in Hindu Family.

One day,

Baba Nanak was passing through Kurukshetra (Centre Place of Brahmans of that time in north India)

BRAHMANS WERE TELLING PEOPLE NOT TO EAT MEAT WHICH LEADS TO HELL.

In order to clear the doubts of people on eating meat,

Baba Nanak prepared meat and severed it to his disciples in Kurukshetra.

As a result, all the brahmans of Kurukshetra came to Baba Nanak in protest.

How can Guru Nanak break the Hindu tradition in spite of being Hindu Sant.

Guru Nanak said that these people have their priorities mixed up, they fight about the virtues of not eating meat, yet they do not instead spend their time contemplating God. He says that everything is a living thing, whether one is killing an animal or a plant, he says that can the vegetarian please tell him where the sin lies? If he is killing living things whether they are plants or animals. Then Guru Nanak follows this right away talking about how animal sacrifice (rhino) was such an integral part of Hindu worship, one is willing to sacrifice animals for religion, yet say do not eat flesh for religion, another contradiction exposed by the Guru. Guru Nanak then talks about the duality of these people who commit countless sins and then make a public show of their "great piety" by saying that they don't eat meat because it is a sin, another contradiction. Guru Nanak then talks about how the Brahmin vegetarian is a creation of flesh, yet he holds the flesh from outside as being sinful to eat, Guru Nanak is saying that aren't you Brahmin vegetarian a creation of flesh as well as your family also something to be abhorred if you are following your own criteria that flesh is sinful? Guru Nanak talks about these false preceptors who are wrongfully telling people to consume what should not be, and telling people to not eat what should be eaten. Guru Nanak then establishes the fact that eating meat was a historical fact of both the Muslim and Hindu faiths and it has been a part of daily life for many ages, yet why is the Brahmin vegetarian denying his own history? Then Guru Nanak talks about the absurdity that the kings who eat meat should all go to hell, yet the Brahmin vegetarian who lives off their donations and charity shall go to heaven. Finally Guru Nanak concludes by saying that all vegetables and meat are the same because their basic ingredient is water and that the Brahmin vegetarian if he really wants to practice his religious renunciation instead of not eating meat he should give up water altogether.

Regards,
Delhi-India

Dear Mr.Sardar Narender Singh,

A very interesting and important message, you have shared with us here and its enlightening.

I have some doubts to clarify. As possible, kindly share your views with us.

1) As per Islamic rules (that's been scientifically proved too), Muslims are strictly restricted from eating Pork. Besides health reasons, Islam got some principles and based on that eating pork is considered "Haram". We all should agree that Pig drinks water too. But why such a restriction?

2) As per Sikhism, I came to know that Sikhs can eat any meat except Dog. I don't know as how far this info. is true. Might be its because of the sentiment and value that we attach to this obedient creature. But we all should agree that Dogs too require water. But why such a limitation.

3) Why meats are not prepared and offered in Lungar in Gurudwaras?

Sri Guru Nank, has also advocated that Cow is the most sacred like "kesh"/hairs, and cutting any of that will invoke the wrath of God and every Sikh can make supreme sacrifice for preventing that.

Whether these principles are based on health factor or sentimental values, there are such exceptions in meat eating, though all the species including human drinks water.

I really don't know what was Guru Nanak's explanations in justifying meat eating. What all you have highlighted above as sayings of Sri Guru Nanak, I doubt, as a lay man, with tendencies of doubting. Please consider my doubts fit for clarification, by which you can contribute a lot in enlightening strict vegetarian Brahmins.

Am sure that Guru Nanak must have clearly differentiated between what is Sin and whats not, upon questioning, doubting eating meat by his men (who all presumed that meat eating is a sin. My be on their own or by the false messages/interpretations of non meat eaters.

Like wise, strict vegetarian Brahmins got lots of principles and values associated with refraining from eating any flesh, that is protecting bones and retaining blood, for species to move around.

Considering all the above facts, I am not convinced with the idea and justifications, that strict vegetarian Brahmins should give up drinking water for life, when they don't mind eating products generated by water consuming plant's and trees.

Kindly help us to understand what is what with your possible capacity..

Dear Mr. C.V. Ravi,

I am not a big thinker but I would try to answer your questions within my limited & little knowledge.

In a glass of water, there are many lives in the form of bacteria.

Suppose, You are young your body keeping producing news cell to your skin. That is why young people look good and healthy. One day, our body will stop making new cell to skin like old man.

We use mosquitos spray to keep our house neat and clean. When we use this, we kill thousand of mosquitos.

To stop Malaria, we use harmful gases in a mass.

When we breath, we shallow air despite knowing small insect and bacteria.

When we clean the floor and toilet by using phenyl. We kill all the germs despite knowing new life process is on.

Life is everywhere in air, water etc.

Who will decide what is sin and virtue?

Baba Nanak neither encouraged the practice of eating flesh nor discouraged this practice.
Baba Nanak just cleared the doubt. He left the decision to the individual’s choice.

All the creatures are born from the same source i.e. Water
Whether it is a tree, plant, animals and humans etc. they grow and eventually die.
God has provided us with plants, tree, fruit and animals for human consumption.
There is no sin eating them.

When you see any animal moving around you,
You think it is more alive than tree and plant.
Animals have more breath than plant.

Regards,

Dear Mr. C.V. Ravi,

Baba Nanak said all the creatures have been made by God and they all are equal and pious. Baba Nanak refused to accept the theory that Cow is more pious/ sacred than horse, monkey, mouse and ant etc. furthermore, there is no such good and bad day. All days are equal. It does not matter whether you read Namaz or perform Aarti. Finally your actions will decide your place in the court of God when you are called by him.

Baba Nanak said do not give stress on ritual,
Give stress on your action.

Baba Nanak left all the rituals but never left the True Name of Hari, Ram, Khuda etc. he said there is only one God. By thinking good and doing good. One can obtain him.

Since than, Sikhs are regularly advised
Give stress on your action not any rituals and customs.

Baba Nanak said “Renounce Maya not world”.
Become Sadhu from heart without taking Sanyas.
God is everywhere and in every soul.

Theory behind keeping hair and beard in Sikhs.
Respect whatever God has given you as Prasad.
Never cut your hair and keep them neat and clean.

Sometimes people say as joke than why do sikh cut nails?
Sikhs are allowed to cut front portion of the nail which is only dead part of the nail when they become white. If you do not do so, Gems will breed.
Keep your body neat and clean by bathing everyday.

Regards,
Delhi-India

Dear Mr. C.V. Ravi,

As per Sikh record,

Baba Nanak ate and prepared meat only once in his life at Kurukshetra to clear the doubts on meat.

The second light of Guru Nanak who was also from Hindu Religion (Earlier Devote of Mata Vaishnu Devi) sometimes distributed Meat as Langar in Gurdwara(earlier known Dharamshala).

Theory No. 1: Due to expensive, serving meat practice in Gurdwaras gradually vanished.

Theory No. 2 : Eating meat is not compulsorily for Sikhs. As it is not written any where in Sikh books.

Theory No. 3: when Eating Langar was made compulsory for Sikh devotees in order to encourage brotherhood and discourage Caste system among Sikh followers (Hindu, Muslims, Brahmins, Katari, Shudra, poor, rich etc.). The Third Sikh Guru started the practice of serving COMMON FOOD as Langar respecting the feelings of all. e.g. Dal, Roti, Rice, Milk etc.

Even when Akbar-Mughal Emperor came to see the Third Light of Guru Nanak, he was told to eat langar first in community kitchen. Akbar followed the instruction without any objection.

The Sixth Sikh Guru and The Tenth Sikh Guru used to go on Hunt.

Around 50% populations of Sikhs do not like to eat meat/flesh (pure vegetarian).

There is neither any restriction in Sikh religion nor any instruction to eat meat.
The Individual is free to take his decision whether to eat or not to eat.

Regards,
Delhi-India

Dear Mr. C.V. Ravi,

As per Sikh record

The Tenth Sikh Guru asked his followers
If you have to eat meat/flesh under any reason,
Kill the animal with one strike.
Do not eat Halal Meat.
Sikhs are allowed to eat any kind of meat including dog, pig, mouse etc.
If any Sikh wants to eat so. As, all creatures are equal (all or non are pious)..

In ancient times,

Raja Darsharth(Father of Lord Ram) used to go on hunt.
Lord Ram also went on hunt when Mata Sita asked for golden deer.
Lord Shiv used to wear Skin of Animals to cover his body.
Lord Krishan and Pandavs used to go on hunt.
As per Indian history, Hindu Kings and Muslim emperors used to go on hunt and ate them.

I am not saying that everyone should eat meat,
I wanted to say if anyone eats meat, he/she will not go to Hell.
It is not a sin as being said.

All the creatures are born from the same source i.e. Water
Whether it is a tree, plant, animals and humans etc. they grow and eventually die.
God has provided us with plants, tree, fruit and animals for human consumption.
There is no sin eating them.

When you see any animal moving around you,
You think it is more alive than tree and plant.
Animals have more breath than plant.

When good is identified,
Bad is automatically defined.

Regards,
Delhi-India

Dear Sardar Narender Singh,

It has become a problem of plenty now. Why don't you give a break and resume after some time gap?

Dear Sardar Narender Singh,

I thank you and appreciate you for the efforts taken to respond to my post...

Just make a note of the basic points -

1) If a Non.Vegetarian wants to eat any creature including Dog, Cat, Snake, Cow, Pig, Donkey, Buffalo, Horse, Lion, Tiger, Dolphin, Parrot, Vulture etc..etc to fill his/her stomach and or to treat his/her tongue, he/she can certainly do that and many are doing (as per possibilities of availability & restrictions by Low of a Country) .

2) If a Non-vegetarian carries some sentiments and values towards certain species and continues to eat the rest, its perfectly OK, as long as he is happy with his principles and values concerning flesh eating to fill his/her stomach and or to treat his/her tongue.

The above are all not a Sin, unless he/she kills them for fun and pleasure and to see how the creatures struggle and suffer until death. I am not sure as what the hobby of hunting for fun and excitement is considered with respect to committing SIN or NOT.

All the creatures that comes under Non-Vegetable eating habits of we humans are those, basically having the sense of eating & drinking from mouth, urinating and shitting from the back, breathing through nostrils (with some exceptions), moving around, sleeping, waking up, making noise, wailing, frightening, getting frightened, mating and delivering babies or laying eggs..etc etc and have their skin and flesh exactly like us, that protects their bones and veins carrying Blood and have some anatomy (with variations between all species) to make their organs function and perform.

Off course all are God's creation with purposes.

The concept of SIN & the Gravity of SIN is a vast subject and got lots of minute analysis to establish, considering many common grounds and one's own consciousness.

One's eating habits are purely based on one's social group and or one's own policies and principles. This has nothing to do with discrimination against others, who practices a different set of policies and principles.

Please don't get carried away by wrong information and misconceptions and refrain yourself from highlighting who is right and who is wrong, for your own good.

Hope the above would help you to differentiate what we got to do with the subject - "Problem of Identity", when you relate eating habits based on one's belief and principles with that of SIN, leading to HELL.

Respected Mr. C.V Ravi,

I liked the way you concluded the debate.
There is no end to this debate.

I respect your sentiments and feelings.
Forgive me if I hurt your feelings in any way knowingly and unknowingly.

Now, Time has come to save some rare species from extinction.

There are two kinds of people in this world and they are found everywhere.

Wise men discuss any topic with positive attitude
With the intention to learn something new
From each other and never quarrel,

Unwise men are always quarrelling and arguing over little issues.

I hope we should strict to the first category.

My journey ends here.

Regards,
Delhi-India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back