• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Prayashitta for not doing Sandyavandanam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Members,

I am interested to know the prayaschitta for not doing Sandyavandhana properly(like doing just minimum Gayatri Japa but regularly(i.e. doing for the sake that you have put on a sacred thread). What I mean to say is, a strict austere person will qualify it as almost not doing.

Please suggest me remedies for the same. Like doing several count of Gayatri Japa or kind of Homa etc.
Currently I been doing Sandya(properly) for almost more than a year, followed by chanting of Purusha Sukta, and Vishnusahasranama. However the thought of not doing Sandya bothers me a lot, so I just want to get rid of it.

Please reply.

Sincerely,
Shriharsha Chatra

Dear Members,

I am interested to know the prayaschitta for not doing Sandyavandhana properly(like doing just minimum Gayatri Japa but regularly(i.e. doing for the sake that you have put on a sacred thread). What I mean to say is, a strict austere person will qualify it as almost not doing.

Please suggest me remedies for the same. Like doing several count of Gayatri Japa or kind of Homa etc.
Currently I been doing Sandya(properly) for almost more than a year, followed by chanting of Purusha Sukta, and Vishnusahasranama. However the thought of not doing Sandya bothers me a lot, so I just want to get rid of it.

Please reply.

Sincerely,
Shriharsha Chatra

Shri Shriharsha Chatra,

There is nothing more bothersome for a human being than a guilt feeling nagging his innermost mind. But here, for reasons which you have not stated, you did not do sandhya "properly" for a long time; you say that now you have been doing sandhya "properly" for an year or so. Now who judges whether you are doing it "properly" now? None except you, is it not. Suppose I say it is absolutely enjoined by "saastras" that you get up in braahmamuhurta, be ready to do sandhyavandan before the sun rises, do 108 gaayatrees with proper intonation (not a superfast express style) which will take at least 35 minutes for the 108 gaayatrees alone, that the mantra should be neither loud (others should not hear) nor purely mental, and so on (these are the rules for proper performance of sandhya), will you admit that you are performing sandhya as per these rules, now?

Again by doing sandhya properly, what is your aim? To qualify for ranking as a "good" brahmin? If that is the objective, mere sandhya will not do; one has to do many other anushtanas daily. So, I feel your aim is merely to satisfy your mind that you have done some prayaschitta and then keep your conscience clear - something akin to the confession of the christians. Why not face the fact that you did not do sandhya properly for a long time, and make yourself bold to accept it? After all there are millions of brahmins who just don't do sandhya properly; let us be one of them. At least you are doing it to your best now. Is it not a good thing?

So, my suggestion/advice to you is accept past mistakes and go forward boldly.

Having said that, I don't think not doing sandhya is a mistake; it is just not obeying the wishes of your parents who performed upanayanam probably with the idea that their son would grow up into a "saakshaat braahmanan"; but, most probably, they did not send you to a vedapatasala and instead asked you to pursue some secular education. There itself the brahmin ideal falls to the ground.

Again, brahmins were there from time immemmorial, according to the purusha sukta (which you recite now) - right from the moment the saadhyas and rishis bound the "purusha" as sacrificial animal and cut him up and the Purusha's face became brahmana (or the face was brahmana). But visvamitra came much much later to "find" out gaayatree from the ethereal, mystic vibrations pervading the universe, (these are not my views, but those expressed by the more orthodox people here) and the sandhya started. Hence logically all brahmins who died before visvamitra came out with gaayatree would not have had sandhya, is it not? Why not you and I join them in the next world?

Dear Shri Sangom,

I totally accept that I did not do Sandyavandhanam properly for a long time. I also admit that I don't do Sandyavandhanam as per the "proper rules". Having said that, honestly till last year I never knew why I have to do Sandyavandhanam, and infact my parents where are also did not know much about it, they forced me to do it as you have properly mentioned as " they did not send you to a vedapatasala and instead asked you to pursue some secular education". However I have noticed this one year has brought significant change in me interms doing Sandya twice a day. The reason I asked is, somewhere I saw in a post that if someone did not do Sandyavandhanam properly( but regularly) if that person does certain count of Gayatri Mantra as per of Prayaschitta it will render him some kind of peace. And as aptly noted about "Confession" of christians, its not what I am worried about that all. I am sure that I did not do the sin, but under the ignorance I did not do my duty. Thus the pashatapa as referred in many smritis from Manu to Parashara.

mr.Shriharsha,

Past is past. Don't bring it to the present. If you are doing it now , please
continue. You can chant Gayathri in your spare time also. Do not imagine
God as someone who will hand over punishment for not doing it and/or
rewarding you if you do it. He is ever kind and loving. Remove the guilt
from your mind.

If you are sincere in performing the nithya karmanushtana, there is no need for prayachittam for any deficiency in doing the anushtana.What is more important is sincerity,devotion,and full concentration in the anushtanam we are doing.

Apart from the well-given advice of some members that Mr. shriharsha really need not feel guilty-conscious as long as he does his 'sandhyavandanam' regularly with sincerity, is not 'sandhyavandanam in itself containing built-in prayaschittas? For example, there is 'kaalaatheetha Prayaschittam' and 'punar argyam' for not doing it in the prescribed time. There is "Sooryascha Maamanyuscha .... Juhomiswaha" in which the performer is actually doing praayaschittam when he says 'papebhyo rakshantaam'. Then again he says, 'manasa Vaacha Hastabhyaam. Padbhyam Udarena sisna. Yadraathriya / Yadahnna paapamakarsham" Then, at the end of it all, there is 'Manthra Heenam Kriya Heenam Bhakti Heenam janardhana". So, Mr. shriharsha, you need not really feel guilty at all!

I do agree that there are certain mantras of Prayachita in the Sandhyavandana itself - but this in no way is a parihaaram for not performing Sandhyavandana. Let us be clear about it. There are Prayachithams for several sins/omissions/errors that one may commit knowingly or unknowingly in his life - but there is no Prayaschitham for not observing the daily ritual Sandhyavandana.

Sandhyavandana should be perormed daily after one's Upanayana and should not be discontinued - even during aasoucha (theettu) period. Dharma Sastra declares: "a brahmin who does not do Sandhyavandana is impure and unfit for any Vedic Karma" This is the pivotal karma. Let us not take shelter under lame excuses or enter into silly arguments to justify our stand for not performing this beautiful ritual.

Let us to listen to our Kanchi Acharyaal on this subject: Our ancestors did Sandhyavandana properly and punctually; and there was prosperity and affluence all around. It is now seen that people undertake English education and stop doing Sandhyavndana, which is now done only by persons from Vaidika families and some old families rooted in tradition....We feel desolate and shattered when we miss a train or muffle an opportunity; but don't care a hoot if we are missing a Vedic karma of utmost importance - the Sandhyavandana. How thoughtless! .."

People who complain of not having time to do the Sandhyavandana can at least do the key sections Arghya, Pranayama, Maarjana, Praasana, Tarpana and Gayatri japa. These will take just 15 minutes altogether,and these parts can be easily learnt. If these sections are done consistently, one's interest will develop in doing it the proper way - in full.

It should be understood that there is no alternative to Sandhyavndana. Going to a temple or attending a bhajan or any other form of devotion or doing some kainkaryams (including regular posting of good notes and sath-vishayams in these types of web-sites), though good and must be carried out, does not exempt one from Sandhyavandana.

Mangalani Bhavantu
Sarma Sastrigal

Last edited:
I do agree that there are certain mantras of Prayachita in the Sandhyavandana itself - but this in no way is a parihaaram for not performing Sandhyavandana. Let us be clear about it. There are Prayachithams for several sins/omissions/errors that one may commit knowingly or unknowingly in his life - but there is no Prayaschitham for not observing the daily ritual Sandhyavandana.
One has to agree that Shri Sarma Sastrigal's logic is impeccable. If a man born to brahmin parents wants the brahmin identity, then, the least he has to do is sandya 3 times a day, at the prescribed time, prada sandya when stars are still visible at the start, with 1008 gayathri and sun having risen at the end of pradha sandya, with madyanhikam when sun is straight above your head and 108 gayathri, and 108 gayathri for sayam and when sun is not yet set when you start and fully set when you end. If one does not do this minimum of requirements at the prescribed time, then, claiming the Brahmin identity is rather hypocritical.

Cheers!

Gayathri mantra consists of five sections as under
Gayathri chanting
Om
redball2.gif
Bhur Bhuva Suvah
redball2.gif
Tathsavithur Varenyam
redball2.gif
Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi
redball2.gif
Dhiyo Yo Naha Prachodayat
Each section should be uttered in one breath. There must be gap between sections

Gayatri Japam or meditation through Gayatri Mantra has a unique place in vedic tradition.The benefits are immense .It helps one to acquire high personality , high mental quality.
it relax or mind avoid mind disturbances.

One has to agree that Shri Sarma Sastrigal's logic is impeccable. If a man born to brahmin parents wants the brahmin identity, then, the least he has to do is sandya 3 times a day, at the prescribed time, prada sandya when stars are still visible at the start, with 1008 gayathri and sun having risen at the end of pradha sandya, with madyanhikam when sun is straight above your head and 108 gayathri, and 108 gayathri for sayam and when sun is not yet set when you start and fully set when you end. If one does not do this minimum of requirements at the prescribed time, then, claiming the Brahmin identity is rather hypocritical.

Cheers!

Shri Nara,

But my doubt is how far this injunction is valid at all. Brahmins started existing or were existing as soon as the "purusha" was cut up into several pieces (vide purusha sukta) and they "formed" (mukham aaseet) the face of the cut-up purusha. Much much later came rishi visvaamitra who is supposed to have intercepted the etheric vibrations, decoded the gaayatree mantra (which incidentally is a monumental misnomer, because it is not set to the gaayatree chandas). During the interrugnum how did the Brahmans perform sandhyaavandana? Secondly, I am not sure whether any of the somayagas or other yagas clearly specify the three sandhyas; they only talk about "pravargyas" which is a different item altogether.

Cheers!

In my earlier posting, I recommended that the key actions in Sandhyavandana like Praanayama, Maarjana, Arghya, Praasana, Aikyanusandhana (Surya dhyana), Deva Tarpana and Gayatri Japa can at least be performed to start with by those who think that theydo no have time. Also I said that once a person does these regularly he will get excited and slowly move towards doing the full thing.

On this subject, I may add that anyone interested in restarting Sandhyavandana may approach me for a booklet written on the subject which has exclusively the key sections which I quoted above. This booklet is in three languages viz., Tamil, English and Sanskrit. I will be glad to send it FREE OF COST.

My address is: Flat No.24, Godavari Apartments, 167 Lake view Road, West Mambalam, Chennai 600 033. No email/personal request please. Those who need it they can send the request by post to me and it will be forwarded at my cost.

Upanayanam and Sandhyavandanam is not restricted to Brahmins. Some of the other communities in Tamil Nadu like the Konars performed Upnayanam and also did Santhyavandhanam. Al the Dwijas (twice borns) did it.

Just a historical fact. Not a comment on any of the earlier postings.

..... Much much later came rishi visvaamitra who is supposed to have intercepted the etheric vibrations, decoded the gaayatree mantra (which incidentally is a monumental misnomer, because it is not set to the gaayatree chandas). During the interrugnum how did the Brahmans perform sandhyaavandana?
Dear Sangom sir, these objections are easily answered by acharyas and even more readily accepted by the faithful. First, the achara varies from yuga to yuga. None of the severe austerities of earlier yugas are required in Kali yuga, just nama sangeertanam is enough. In other words, the requirements now need not be the same as the requirements before Viswamithra. After Viswamithra, sandhya is a must to maintain Brahminness now.

Next, one of the cardinal rule when it comes to acharam is sishtacharam do as the wise elders say and do. They have made it very clear that the minimum requirement to be a Brahmin is to do three sandhyas at the prescribed time.

To be sure, I don't accept the above logic, but this is the response they will for your valid objections.

CLN sir, I am only saying what is required to maintain brahminness, not that one needs to maintain brahminness, in fact I say don't do it, it is enough to be a loving and compassionate human being, there is nothing great about maintaining brahminness.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
CLN sir, I am only saying what is required to maintain brahminness, not that one needs to maintain brahminness, in fact I say don't do it, it is enough to be a loving and compassionate human being, there is nothing great about maintaining brahminness.

Dear Shri Nara,

I do agree wholeheartedly that being a loving and compassionate human being is essentially more important than any thing else, including strict adherence to madi, aacharam, nityakarmaanushtanam and the like. Put in another way, if a person is okay with goodness of heart, thought and deed, but NOT okay with aacharams and anushtaanams, he is still a worthy fellow. But if a person is NOT good at heart, thinks ill of others and is cruel and merciless in his dealings, but religiously adheres to aacharams and anushtaanams, I cannot think high of him.

At this juncture, I wish to refer you to another thread called "Who Has The Right" which I started some two weeks ago to know what our learned members feel about a predicament I find myself in, though I couched my query in the form of a Vikramadithya style tale, for the sake of objectivity in replies. Unfortunately, it has till now received only very few replies, but one among them still being from Mr. Sangom, who has given his clear-cut opinion.

I am drawing reference to that thread here because there is a great relevance here. In that tale, the main reason, I am given to understand now, for the second son claiming that the first son has lost Adhikaram for doing anthimakriyah for his parents is not so much due to his not having done Vedadhyayanam, but due to his failure to be doing thrikaala anushtaanams and dwikaala Oupaasanams, which the second son claims to be doing, of course, subject to, yathaashakthi constraints.

So, I guess that you can perceive the fix where the situation has put the first son (i.e myself) in.

Any suggestions?

Dear Shri Nara,

I do agree wholeheartedly that being a loving and compassionate human being is essentially more important than any thing else, including strict adherence to madi, aacharam, nityakarmaanushtanam and the like. Put in another way, if a person is okay with goodness of heart, thought and deed, but NOT okay with aacharams and anushtaanams, he is still a worthy fellow. But if a person is NOT good at heart, thinks ill of others and is cruel and merciless in his dealings, but religiously adheres to aacharams and anushtaanams, I cannot think high of him.

At this juncture, I wish to refer you to another thread called "Who Has The Right" which I started some two weeks ago to know what our learned members feel about a predicament I find myself in, though I couched my query in the form of a Vikramadithya style tale, for the sake of objectivity in replies. Unfortunately, it has till now received only very few replies, but one among them still being from Mr. Sangom, who has given his clear-cut opinion.

I am drawing reference to that thread here because there is a great relevance here. In that tale, the main reason, I am given to understand now, for the second son claiming that the first son has lost Adhikaram for doing anthimakriyah for his parents is not so much due to his not having done Vedadhyayanam, but due to his failure to be doing thrikaala anushtaanams and dwikaala Oupaasanams, which the second son claims to be doing, of course, subject to, yathaashakthi constraints.

So, I guess that you can perceive the fix where the situation has put the first son (i.e myself) in.

Any suggestions?

Shri Nara, Shri CLN,

Again I am coming in, pl. excuse. Shri CLN, yours seems to be a peculiar case to me. Normally in no family there is a claim like the one you state, even if the eldest son is a bohemian and the younger son is an ordinary run-of- the mill tabra of today. That is why I felt there must be some inheritance angle linked to who does the karma for your mother (I think, very sorry if I am wrong, pl.) and gave my view on that as well. Otherwise the only reason I can imagine from the Bikram & Betaal story you gave is that your progress has kindled lot of comparison and inferiority complex in your immediate younger brother who wants to score a point in this.

I know families where the eldest son has been deprived of any share of the parents' assets by the siblings by resorting to various illegal and immoral steps, including inciting the eldest brother to relinquish his share in a moment of extreme anger and sorrow. But nowhere have I come across a pOTTi (competition) to do the Karma!

....So, I guess that you can perceive the fix where the situation has put the first son (i.e myself) in.

Any suggestions?
Dear sir, I did not comment on this issue because Sangom sir is much more knowledgeable in this matter, and he had already given an unambiguous response with which I fully agree.

From what little I know of practice in this matter, however worse of a slacker the first son may be, and however great a scholar and anushtatha the second son may be, the right is that of the first son. Otherwise, sin may befall both the sons, on the first son for giving up a required ritual and on the second son for usurping this duty from the elder brother who is father to him after the real father is gone.

BTW, a few years ago, my chithappa, having found religion after retirement, wanted to do separate homam during my grandparent's ceremonies. He claimed after separation of ancestral property, he is considered independent, and therefore if he does not do homam he will be committing sin. My father said that the regular practice followed for years must be continued and he being the first son only he must do the homam and a second homam must not be done under the same roof. Each, being proud Brahmins, thought each was right. My Chittappa knew that my father will take it as a grave insult if he performed another homam even after my father's disapproval, and just gave in. Fortunately for him, they have not been in the same town during ceremony time for a while now and no further showdown, so far.

Cheers!

can not the brothers do the functions at separate places? my father, and his two brothers performed shradhams separately every year. nobody cared about the other. the same can go for all death ceremonies. n'est pas?

can not the brothers do the functions at separate places? my father, and his two brothers performed shradhams separately every year. nobody cared about the other. the same can go for all death ceremonies. n'est pas?
K, If I am not mistaken, I think the question is about ceremonies right after death, not recurring annual ones. There is a difference between annual ones and the first year.

Cheers!

K, If I am not mistaken, I think the question is about ceremonies right after death, not recurring annual ones. There is a difference between annual ones and the first year.

Cheers!

thank you dear friend. apart from the immediate cremation/dumping the ashes, the real meat of the stuff does not start till the 10th day (though one could do daily stuff for every day till 10... for me only grandma i did daily, the rest got all 10 together).

so, CLN could start doing his mummy kriyai (if he wants) from day 2 onwards and tweak his thumbs to the bro. no?

...so, CLN could start doing his mummy kriyai (if he wants) from day 2 onwards and tweak his thumbs to the bro. no?
My opinion on this matter is, if you take these rituals seriously, then you must do it and tell the younger brother to take a hike. At the very least CLN could ask his brother to get the opinion of their family acharya or vadyar about the matter and he will find that he has no option but to take a hike.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Well. From Sandhyvandana to Antima-kriya to Sraaddha. The discussions get shifted from one thread to another thread - though it is understandable since everything is interlinked in our way of life. It is interesting.

While on the subject, let us be clear about one thing that performing Sandhyavandana, though a nitya karma, doesn't automatically bestow any special rights on the younger ones if the elder brother is an Aupasana-agni holder. The Sapandeekarna karma (Dwadasehani) has to be done in the Aupasana Agni by the eldest son. Of course there are other various exceptions and sookshmams here and one's learned Vadhyar would be able to clarify and guide according to the situation. This Apara Karma, Anthyeshti, can not be taken so lightly and discussed just like that. As I said earlier each specific case has to be dealt with individually, though there are general rules. One has to be very careful and necessarily has to take the guidance of the Aathu Vadhyar before proceeding further. Of course general things pertaining to Anthyeshti can always be discusseed and in fact it should be done. Let me reiterate that this Apara Karma, spreads over 12 days, should be done by a dutiful son or the Karta properly, and under suitable guidance of the Purohit and elders.

As regards to Pratyabdika Sraaddha, several pesons keep on asking the question again and again : Can the sons join together to do the Sraaddha?

If the brothers of a family live separately they have to perform Sraaddha separately. Getting together on the day of Sraaddha and performing one Sraaddha is not acceptable.. Their doing it together is not acepatable. A joint familily can of course do a joint sraaddha (but even here it is said that if the kitchens are separae it is not considered as a joijnt family). In a house where the sons live together the younger brothers can join up and the eldest son will perform it. That said, it is worth noting the fact tha pitrus can be at several places at the same time and will infact be far happier if the sraaddha is inidvidually done with Homa by all the families obliged to do the karma.

Mangalani Bhavantu
Sarma Sastrigal

S/Shri Sangom, Nara and Kunjuppu,

Thanks for the imputs. I must clarify, though, that there is no inheritance angle involved at all here (there being nothing much materially worthy to inherit, any way!), but only a genuine felt-need on the part of my first younger brother. I have, perhaps, rather unwittily, made him out to be a 'villain' of some sort, in the course of presenting the issue at hand, which, fortunately, he is not. It is only that he genuinely feels that I being a 'fallen' soul (!), in his judgment, he has the adhikaraam for carrying out the antimakriyah of my mother - May she live for many more years and solve the dispute by outliving one or both of us, though the chances for it are very dim, I am afraid, as she is not keeping such a good health! My wife's near-complete "estrangedness" from the rest of my-side-family folk - though my two sons and myself are in quite good terms with them all - is another contributing factor, I guess. Of course, my brother is too practical and realistic, when it comes to his professional decisions and actions, (he being a vaadhyar himself for other families), not to create this kind of controversies in those families in similar situations!

So, that is it! I think I will face up to the situation, when and if, it arises, keeping in mind, the larger interest of carrying out my filial duties smoothly, on the whole.

Dear Shri Sarma Sastrigal,

This is a peculiar case of happenings inside a vaadhyar family. There will only be a name-sake brahmavarnam "aathu Vaadhyar" and so that may not solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back