• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pilgrimage to Sabarimala.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

When the call comes from the Lord, everything happens fast. It happened to me in 2008. On Monday 18th of February, 2008, we returned from Sabarimala after having had the Dharshan of Lord Sri Ayyappa. It all happened so quickly I could not believe how I made it. It all started when my brother-in-law informed that he would be going to the Holy Sabarimala during the monthly opening of the Temple during this Malayalam month of "Kumbam", with the group of devotees who go with him regularly. He was visiting the Temple for the past 26 years. My eight year old grand daughter Sharada, who was regularly watching a serial on the Lord Ayyappa in TV , wanted to have the Dharshan of the Lord in Sabarimalai. Child's words are God's command. Then my son agreed to take her along with the group. This rekindled my desire to visit the Temple for the third time. But now I am 77 and have high BP. This made me apprehensive whether I would be able to climb the hills with out problem. My Doctor gave the clearance and other members of the family encouraged me to take the pilgrimage.
We got Rail reservations too without much difficulty. My grand daughter, son and I joined the group at Chennai for the Pooja and "irumudi" before starting. We proceeded to Chengannur, the nearest rail head for Sabarimala by train and reached the place early next morning. After refreshing ourselves and bath we traveled by the Van prearranged to take us to Pampa at the base of the Holy Hills.

We started the climb at about 10.00AM. The distance from Pampa to the Holy Shrine at the top of Sabarimala is only 4.5 KMS. But it is 60 degree steep climb for about 2.5 KMS. with continuous stone steps and concrete path. The hot sun has heated up the stone steps and concrete path and made difficult for walking bare foot. The progress was slow and after some distance I started feeling the effects of my age and the heat. In spite of the best help from my son and my brother I could not climb the steps continuously. I took rest frequently and proceeded slowly at my own speed. But my only concern was that because of me my grand daughter, son and brother were getting delayed and may not be able to reach the Holy Shrine before it closes at 1.00 PM after the mid day Pooja.

But the intentions of the Lord were different. At about 12.45 noon, when we were just half a kilometer from the Holy Abode of Sri Ayyappa, we got a phone call from my brother in law, that the Temple will be closed at 2.00PM only on that day due to an elaborate Sahsra Kalasabhishekam, that was being performed to the Lord. You can understand my joy which brought tears in my eyes. Even in this age of Kali, miracles do happen, no doubt.

We reached the Holy Abode of Lord Dharma Sastha , and climbed the Eighteen Golden Steps with "Irumudi" and had the Dharshan of Lord Ayyappan at the "karpoora harathi" time. Perhaps I was the only person who could observe the whimsical smile on the beautiful face of Harihara Puthran, in the diffused light of surrounding lamps.

We enjoyed the Dharshan of the Lord in the evening also. Next day early morning we witnessed the "Abhishekam" to the Lord arranged by our group and took his blessings before we left for Pampa on our way back home.

How true are the words of Madhusudana Saraswthi who wrote the Dhyana Slokas for Bagavad Gita, who said:

"Mookam Karoti Vachalam, Pangum Langhayate Girim"

"His grace makes the dumb eloquent, and the cripple cross mountains."

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore

Makara JYOTHI is the celestial star siries and Makara VILLAKKU a symbolic deeparadhana (aarthi) lit at Ponnambelamedu
--Kantaru Maheswararu , Chief Tantri Sabarimala temple

Makara Jyothi is an yearly celestial phenomenon which occurs when the star appears over Hills opposite to the Sabari mala. It is believed Lord Ayyappan was born on Makara Sankaranthi Day when the star "Uthram" was on ascendence and he merged his moratal life with Sri Dharma Sastha on the same day after completing his duty as a prince.
Makara vilakku is the continuation of the practice by the Hill Tribes living around Ponnambalamedu who used to celebrate Makaravilakku festival at the hilltop by lighting of a lamp at Ponnambalamedu on the same day at the same time of Aarathi to Sri Ayyappa in the temple in the evening, akin to Deepam Festival in Tiruvannamalai on Karthigai festival day.
Senior Tantri of the temple, Kandararu Maheswararu, has also clarified that the light sighted at Ponnambalamedu was man made in the article available in "The Hindu"

The Hindu : Cities / Kochi : Makarajyothi is a star: senior Thantri

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
hi subramanyan sir,
i visited sabarimala three times.....2 manadala kalams and 1 makara jyothi in my younger days....we went through 45 miles waliking

through peruvazhi ....its really a thrilling experiences in forest of my child hood time....even in USA we have lord ayyappa temple

with 18 steps....pathinettam padi...ONLY IRUMUDI AYYAPPA BHAKTAS ARE ALOWED STEP THE THE PATHINETTAM PADI HERE....

a lot ayyappa bhaktas are visting here from canada and other parts of USA......

regards
tbs

hi subramanyan sir,
i visited sabarimala three times.....2 manadala kalams and 1 makara jyothi in my younger days....we went through 45 miles waliking

through peruvazhi ....its really a thrilling experiences in forest of my child hood time....even in USA we have lord ayyappa temple

with 18 steps....pathinettam padi...ONLY IRUMUDI AYYAPPA BHAKTAS ARE ALOWED STEP THE THE PATHINETTAM PADI HERE....

a lot ayyappa bhaktas are visting here from canada and other parts of USA......

regards
tbs
Dear Sri Tbs,
Every pleasant experience in life leaves pleasant memory in us. After all, life is a chain of experiences. If we do not enjoy every moment of existence, there is no meaning in living.
You are lucky to have taken the peruvazhi to Sannidanam of the Lord by walking 45 miles. I consider such pilgrimages give opportunity to us for making "course correction" in our life.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

It is great to read about the devotional experiences of Lord Ayyappa devotees! Kaliyugaththil kaNkaNda Deivam Ayyappan!Whether the Makara Jyothi is man-lit or not, it does not fail to make you feel inspired and think with devotion "Swamiyee SaraNam Ayyappa!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back